[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

1 hour ago, jimmylyne said:

His confidence is really something...

“So what if Destiny says we're fated, and so what if it says we're not?”
Donghua coldly replied. “I've never feared Destiny, and I certainly don't
need its charity.”

And his Xiao Bai..Bai Feng Jiu..

She always see the good/looking for something best (instead of the flaws) in others.

:heart1:

DH's confidence and decisiveness are traits I really like with him. His love of reading, hehehe. He makes his own things and has crafting skills. For me, that indicates that if he suddenly finds himself having next to nothing, he will be able to survive with the barest essentials.

I don't think DH's having airs. Compared to the present Tianjun, that lord is the one having misplaced pride and cares more of not losing face. DH is shameless, and does not care of being embarrassed when he is sure he's in the right. That exchange between him and Nie Chuyin for instance, over same generations. :)

Best of all, he will never allow Destiny to dictate on such personal matters. Hahaha. DH will take all chances he can to be with the fox who has always been in his heart. For eternity, she'll always be the one he will love.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

DH's confidence and decisiveness are traits I really like with him. His love of reading, hehehe. He makes his own things and has crafting skills. For me, that indicates that if he suddenly finds himself having next to nothing, he will be able to survive with the barest essentials.

I don't think DH's having airs. Compared to the present Tianjun, that lord is the one having misplaced pride and cares more of not losing face. DH is shameless, and does not care of being embarrassed when he is sure he's in the right. That exchange between him and Nie Chuyin for instance, over same generations. :)

Best of all, he will never allow Destiny to dictate on such personal matters. Hahaha. DH will take all chances he can to be with the fox who has always been in his heart. For eternity, she'll always be the one he will love.

Agreed.. although he should've had..lol

Despite his All Almighty, regal countenance thicked skin and his Sharp acid tounged , a bit "too cruel"  pranks on others with his incredibly special cooking..lol poor Siming,  he had never a supercilious.

Bingcang ceremony .. where I got to see the funny side of BQ:lol:

PB2 page 400

High Deity Bai Qian spat the tea in her mouth as Lord Liansong leaned on the arm of his chair to avoid getting himself sprayed.

You little fox , always forever be mine - DHDJ

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

4 hours ago, jimmylyne said:

Agreed.. although he should've had..lol

Despite his All Almighty, regal countenance thicked skin and his Sharp acid tounged , a bit "too cruel"  pranks on others with his incredibly special cooking..lol poor Siming,  he had never a supercilious.

Bingcang ceremony .. where I got to see the funny side of BQ:lol:

PB2 page 400

High Deity Bai Qian spat the tea in her mouth as Lord Liansong leaned on the arm of his chair to avoid getting himself sprayed.

You little fox , always forever be mine - DHDJ

High goddess, but I suppose Hamster used High Diety. 

Basically Tang Qi means the following for the following terms:

上神 = High God/Goddess

上仙 = High Immortal

仙子 = Fairy

Ascension goes as follows Immortal/Fairy -> High Immortal -> High God.

Very few female High Gods, which is partly why Bai Qian is called Gu Gu. It's a sign of respect for her as she is not only Qing Qiu's east realm Queen but also one of the few rare venerable High Goddess.

This poor balance will change once the 3 Ancient goddesses come back.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is Di Jun's very famous quotation in Chinese:

“东华声道:“天命说有缘如何,无缘又如何,本君不曾惧怕过天命,也无须天命施舍。”

Excerpt From: 公子, 唐七. “三生三世 枕上书·终篇.” 

Dong Hua said indifferently, "So what if destiny says we have fate, so what if it says we have none. I have never been afraid of destiny, and I certainly do not need its charity"

Just wanted to also point out that he was not saying this line coldly, he said this line in his usual mild, indifferent manner. 

The bold english text are the translation of the bold chinese text in the same order. Wanted to show what the individual words meant. The chinese word 也 means "also" but in the context of this quote, "certainly" can be used as 也 is used as an affirmation here.

Vengo really nailed this way of speaking in the drama, and the mild, indifferent demeanour. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Dong Hua said indifferently, "So what if destiny says we have fate, so what if it says we have none. I have never been afraid of destiny, and I certainly do not need its charity"

I'm sad this scene wasn't actually shown in the adaptation, DH uttering his famous words. :bawling:  If only the editing was better at last few episodes, it wouldn't have just been a narration. And yeah, DH's voice actor nailed it.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'm sad this scene wasn't actually shown in the adaptation, DH uttering his famous words. :bawling:  If only the editing was better at last few episodes, it wouldn't have just been a narration. And yeah, DH's voice actor nailed it.  

But the actor really nailed it in his demeanour which is harder to do.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Ninky said:

But the actor really nailed it in his demeanour which is harder to do.

Vengo did his homework and studied the role so well. Proved to whoever wanted ELOD DH played by somebody else wrong. TMOPB DH was too rigid and mean. Vengo however showed so well the character and depth of ELOD DH, endearing him, and DH, to viewers. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

ing 

Well if they dropped mortal arc to 8 episodes, I can guarantee the ending parts won't be so drastically cut on the editing floor.

Firstly, it is not canon to books as this part was at best a few paragraphs in the book, not even a chapter. It took Tang Qi three books to set up this plotline that he never went to the mortal world and the drama just railroaded it.

I do understand that some of you do like the mortal arc, but even if they wanted to adapt it this way, it could have been done in 8 episodes or under. It would have been a tighter, more exciting script.

But, It got dragged to twelve. I fast forwarded about 50% of the mortal arc scenes everytime I rewatch the drama. I found 12 episodes too disjointing as most of it are from drama writer's imagination, and not from Tang Qi.

I rather they spent that time working on Feng Jiu's wedding day with Lord Chang Yi. Would have loved to see her totally destroying his palace piece by piece and how she actually met Meng Shao. That would have been really entertaining. They toned down Feng Jiu's zesty, fiesty personality and I wished they hadn''t.

It's that particular brand of fiesty and independent personality she has that drew Dong Hua to her. This was so clear in the books, but was blurred out in the drama.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I rather they spent that time working on Feng Jiu's wedding day with Lord Chang Yi. Would have loved to see her totally destroying his palace piece by piece and how she actually met Meng Shao. That would have been really entertaining. They toned down Feng Jiu's zesty, fiesty personality and I wished they hadn''t.

It's that particular brand of fiesty and independent personality she has that drew Dong Hua to her. This was so clear in the books

Yes! I'd rather see Bai Yi arguing with his daughter, lose his patience, tie up FJ, and throw her inside the palanquin than seeing all the demons' scenes in mortal realm!  They should have shown FJ's spunk and spirit as described in the book.

Not the nonsense portions in the mortal realm, and that very dragging, made-up, and so undeserved HEA in the finale.

PS: I still see new and surprised comments why the boat scene wasn't part of the finale episode. Tsk tsk, post production editing team, care to answer?

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

17 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Yes! I'd rather see Bai Yi arguing with his daughter, lose his patience, tie up FJ, and throw her inside the palanquin than seeing all the demons' scenes in mortal realm!  They should have shown FJ's spunk and spirit as described in the book.

Not the nonsense portions in the mortal realm, and that very dragging, made-up, and so undeserved HEA in the finale.

Coz we know who YCW will end up with and it isn't her but a lonely white lord who adores him. :blush:

Yep, I would have been so happy if they showed the forced palaquin move. Bai Yi used the immortal locking device on her and threw her in it by force. But she won't abide by her father's wishes and happily destroyed Chang Yi's palace brick by brick. So much spark in her personality.

This shows someone who will eventually rewrite destiny and get her HEA.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

4 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Coz we know who YCW will end up with and it isn't her but a lonely white lord who adores him. :blush:

Yep, I would have been so happy if they showed the forced palaquin move. Bai Yi used the immortal locking device on her and threw her in it by force. But she won't abide by her father's wishes and happily destroyed Chang Yi's palace brick by brick. So much spark in her personality.

I'll be honest that it's hard to get over that darn HEA. Why insert 5min of annoyance, when a minute is enough. Instead of that babbling inserted in the finale, they could have shown 3min more of the avengers, DH, FJ, and BGG. Well, maybe at least of FJ waking up, or  of BGG asking DH if she's alright, or the entire boat scene.

I wish there's a scene of Grandma Fumi lamenting FJ's choice of husband. Hahaha. 

In Aranya's dream, they should have included in the final cut the prison scenes of Aranya. Reba mentioned it as a very emotional scene to act, the realisation that there are parents who can hate on their children that way.

• Like 1
  • Unamused 1

8 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I'll be honest that it's hard to get over that darn HEA. Why insert 5min of annoyance, when a minute is enough. Instead of that babbling inserted in the finale, they could have shown 3min more of the avengers, DH, FJ, and BGG. Well, maybe at least of FJ waking up, or  of BGG asking DH if she's alright, or the entire boat scene.

I wish there's a scene of Grandma Fumi lamenting FJ's choice of husband. Hahaha. 

In Aranya's dream, they should have included in the final cut the prison scenes of Aranya. Reba mentioned it as a very emotional scene to act, the realisation that there are parents who can hate on their children that way.

I would love to see the banter between Grandma Fu Mi and her mother lol.

For Aranya, its more like her mother took out her anger with the bad Shang Jun on her. Both women are the victim of their own circumstances.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

7 minutes ago, Ninky said:

I would love to see the banter between Grandma Fu Mi and her mother lol.

For Aranya, its more like her mother took out her anger with the bad Shang Jun on her. Both women are the victim of their own circumstances.

That convo between mom and granny would have been hilarious. 

I've repeatedly seen in the translated text the term "half a day" to connote how much time passed. Is it also written as such in Mandarin?

Migu spent half a day in pondering and had found cause for why these three honorable deities were gracing them with their profound aura. (PB1, P2)

• LOL 2

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

That convo between mom and granny would have been hilarious. 

I've repeatedly seen in the translated text the term "half a day" to connote how much time passed. Is it also written as such in Mandarin?

Migu spent half a day in pondering and had found cause for why these three honorable deities were gracing them with their profound aura. (PB1, P2)

its a poetic way of saying "thinking for a long time", not necessarily half a day. example usage "想了老半天“ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Ninky said:

its a poetic way of saying "thinking for a long time", not necessarily half a day. example usage "想了老半天“ 

It was a bit odd at first reading half a day. :)

One more scene they could have shown, XY screaming of honour to DH, and he answers that infamous "What's that? Never heard of it." :lol:

Also, DH going to demon realm confronting XY where's his baby fox.

• LOL 3

If you had hurried back and told me these exact words back then, if you had told me that there had never been anyone more important than me, I might've believed you. But now...”
He closed his eyes. “Xiao Bai...”
She shook her head with a smile and interrupted him.

what do you think Dong Hua would have said if Feng Jiu hadn’t interrupted him?

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

It was a bit odd at first reading half a day. :)

One more scene they could have shown, XY screaming of honour to DH, and he answers that infamous "What's that? Never heard of it." :lol:

Also, DH going to demon realm confronting XY where's his baby fox.

My feeling is that in the bookverse (though this was not shown in any book scene), Yan Chi Wu saw Ji Heng for what she really was, a weak-willed woman who does not love anyone but herself. That’s why in the end, he showed up to make amends, by helping to break the Star Light Ward and saving his best friend, Bai Feng Jiu.

And yes those scenes between DH and YCW are really funny. Me thinks that even DH would have appreciated YCW’s help in saving them. 

He was even allowed to sit in Tai Chen Palace and talk to the other immortals in the closing epilogue. 

Goes to show Dong Hua is just cold on the outside. The truth is he is anything but that for the things he really cares about.

• Like 6