[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

19 minutes ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Well, definitely on the right track! I was sitting there for like 15 minutes just going :nonono: because I'd never seen those words in that order before. I was sort of thinking in the same direction, but clearly it wasn't working. Going through the book for sure made the gaps in my vocabulary more obvious to me, pity my exposure to Mandarin is so limited. 

Translating and/or paraphrasing can sometimes make you feel :headbang:

Lucky you to have taken up Mandarin in school. :) That's still something even if you feel that what you know is limited.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I wonder why so little Chinese literature gets officially translated... I think especially XianXia and Wuxia novels would do great in the West.

Culturally, it is very hard to translate into the correct context. Cultural expectations has certain connotations. That’s why Toland’s translation is so bland. It is made

worse by the use of the Wade-Giles style of translating Chinese names.

I think westerners do appreciate that the names use the Pin Yin version instead. It’s much more respectful to write Chinese names in Pin Yin rather than bastardise the names by translating them the way she did, for example.

• Like 3
  • Unamused 1

4 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Culturally, it is very hard to translate into the correct context. Cultural expectations has certain connotations. That’s why Toland’s translation is so bland. It is made

worse by the use of the Wade-Giles style of translating Chinese names.

I think westerners do appreciate that the names use the Pin Yin version instead. It’s much more respectful to write Chinese names in Pin Yin rather than bastardise the names by translating them the way she did, for example.

I can understand the difficulty of translating, but market wise I think it would be a great move.

The fantasy mixed with mythology genre usually tends to do well in any country. 

To the sky kingdom really doesn't do justice to TQ. I still haven't read it all the way through and likely never will. 

The name change just made it confusing if not outright ridiculous. :vicx: 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

I wonder why so little Chinese literature gets officially translated... I think especially XianXia and Wuxia novels would do great in the West.

Perhaps because until now, the focus in the world is still geared more to the West. Only recently that some focus started to shift to the East - that includes language and literature.

The mentality of West being better than East has been too ingrained because in the olden times, they succeeded in exploration and colonisation. Many countries in the African and Asian continents were once colonies. China in the 19th century was carved into spheres of influence by European colonists.

Which is quite a pity, since most of ancient cradles of civilisations are Eastern in origin. The greatest world religions also originated from the East. Those alone are proofs that the Eastern culture are not in any way inferior to that of the West.

Chinese literature popularity will surely rise in the next decade, when more works get translated as close in thoughts to the original text. We see it now in the rising numbers of viewers of what the East can offer. People from either West or East have ready information available, which increases day by day. The natural curiosity to learn helps, leading to appreciation of each others' way of life.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Out of curiosity, how old does Gun Gun look? In the drama, he looks like a school boy. But in the book, he is a described like a toddler. Though, he’s a toddler who can apparently go to school by himself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UnluckyWhiteCat said:

Look what I found in the text!! I can't believe Hamster would cut this out, bolded is what I added: 

As if Fengjiu had been burned by an open fire, in a flash, she rolled to the edge of the bed. She laughed unnaturally and said, “Well, that was just me and Chen Ye singing a play to provoke you. I didn't expect you to be provoked by this.”

Here's the original: 凤九似被明火烫到,瞬间滚到睡榻边儿上,口中不自然地打着哈哈道:“那个嘛,我同沉晔唱台戏激一激你罢了,没想到你这样经不得激。”

I did feel like the transition was a bit too abrupt the first time I read Hamster's text. Now I know why. :/

@UnluckyWhiteCat
Here is a correction of the translation to put it closer to the correct meaning:

“Well, that was just me and Shen Ye putting on a show to provoke you. I didn't expect you to be provoked by this.”

It is better not to directly translate these few words as the Chinese meaning does mean the same, that they are just “putting on a show”.

唱台戏 is an idiomatic phrase to describe putting on a show which is why we don’t translate it directly.

Also 沉 is pronounced as “Shen” when it is somebody’s surname and has to be written as such. And unfortunately

most people don’t know this and get it wrong. The drama got it correct.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Perhaps because until now, the focus in the world is still geared more to the West. Only recently that some focus started to shift to the East - that includes language and literature.

The mentality of West being better than East has been too ingrained because in the olden times, they succeeded in exploration and colonisation. Many countries in the African and Asian continents were once colonies. China in the 19th century was carved into spheres of influence by European colonists.

Which is quite a pity, since most of ancient cradles of civilisations are Eastern in origin. The greatest world religions also originated from the East. Those alone are proofs that the Eastern culture are not in any way inferior to that of the West.

Chinese literature popularity will surely rise in the next decade, when more works get translated as close in thoughts to the original text. We see it now in the rising numbers of viewers of what the East can offer. People from either West or East have ready information available, which increases day by day. The natural curiosity to learn helps, leading to appreciation of each others' way of life.

Intertesting points, I've never thought of it like that. But I guess you are right and there is still bias towards the East.

But I feel literature and entertainment in general can give the West a (re)fresh(ed) viewpoint. I really feel that's what art in any form is truely about- transcending preconceived notions.

I can definitly see a slow rise in interest for Asian drama's and literature due to the ever growing popularity of anime.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ninky said:

@UnluckyWhiteCat
Here is a correction of the translation to put it closer to the correct meaning:

“Well, that was just me and Shen Ye putting on a show to provoke you. I didn't expect you to be provoked by this.”

It is better not to directly translate these few words as the Chinese meaning does mean the same, that they are just “putting on a show”.

唱台戏 is an idiomatic phrase to describe putting on a show which is why we don’t translate it directly.

Also 沉 is pronounced as “Shen” when it is somebody’s surname and has to be written as such. And unfortunately

most people don’t know this and get it wrong. The drama got it correct.

Ninky, if ever you wake up with the idea of starting online Chinese language classes, let me know! I'll happily pay you! :coolshades:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

18 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Intertesting points, I've never thought of it like that. But I guess you are right and there is still bias towards the East.

But I feel literature and entertainment in general can give the West a (re)fresh(ed) viewpoint. I really feel that's what art in any form is truely about- transcending preconceived notions.

I can definitly see a slow rise in interest for Asian drama's and literature due to the ever growing popularity of anime.

Fortunately, it's has become easier thanks to advancement of science and technology.  

:hypehype:

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Megan said:

Out of curiosity, how old does Gun Gun look? In the drama, he looks like a school boy. But in the book, he is a described like a toddler. Though, he’s a toddler who can apparently go to school by himself.

That's because he's a "very old" toddler I guess. 

I think for the drama they used a slightly older child due to the complexity of the role and perhaps the rules for "child labor". 

Children are only allowed to work very limited time and only on certain times. Also, BGG is a fairy child, wise beyond his years.

I don't think a toddler would have been able to play that part. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Fortunately, it's has become easier thanks to advancement of science and technology.  

:hypehype:

True! If you're curious there's alot to be found online. I recently watched an amazing documentary about the forbidden city in Beijing on youtube. It also helps that there are places like soompie where fans are happy to share information. 

Just look what rolled out of this thread alone! :D

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SilverDawn said:

True! If you're curious there's alot to be found online. I recently watched an amazing documentary about the forbidden city in Beijing on youtube. It also helps that there are places like soompie where fans are happy to share information. 

Just look what rolled out of this thread alone! :D

I feel so fortunate that while in college, I've taken up a course which touched Asian and the World history, politics, and religion. Even if classes were so early, or tests were often enumerations and essay types, what we're taught are so useful in culture appreciation.

Soompi is a melting pot, hahaha! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

I feel so fortunate that while in college, I've taken up a course which touched Asian and the World history, politics, and religion. Even if classes were so early, or tests were often enumerations and essay types, what we're taught are so useful in culture appreciation.

Soompi is a melting pot, hahaha! 

Why did you choose to follow that course in particular? 

I have a general interest in history and culture. Most of my books are on a history subject or of a religious/philosophical nature.

I lost interest in reading novels for a long time until I discovered TQ. I'd say the Pillowbook is a book that got me excited reading fiction again. If ever a better translation of TMoPB pops up I will definitly read that too. For now I patiently wait for Lotus Step and Bodhi Fate. :) 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Why did you choose to follow that course in particular? 

I have a general interest in history and culture. Most of my books are on a history subject or of a religious/philosophical nature.

I lost interest in reading novels for a long time until I discovered TQ. I'd say the Pillowbook is a book that got me excited reading fiction again. If ever a better translation of TMoPB pops up I will definitly read that too. For now I patiently wait for Lotus Step and Bodhi Fate. :) 

Was so fed up with all the maths I was taking up, I needed a class or two where I don't see numbers. :lol: 

That course was my favourite that semester. The class visited a couple of embassies, and watched films for reaction papers.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 minute ago, MayanEcho said:

Was so fed up with all the maths I was taking up, I needed a class or two where I don't see numbers. :lol: 

That course was my favourite that semester. The class visited a couple of embassies, and watched films for reaction papers.

Math...good god it brings bad some awful memories for me! :lol: As I grew older I was surprised to learn there are people who actually willingly study math.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

19 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Math...good god it brings bad some awful memories for me! :lol: As I grew older I was surprised to learn there are people who actually willingly study math.  

There are! Some of my classmates before were taking up degrees in math or physics-math. :lol: 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

There are! Some of my classmates before were taking up degrees in math or physics-math. :lol: 

I nearly did that but went to health sciences instead because I know my brain will melt. If there was a degree called Masters in ELoD, I'll probably won't pass it because all I would study and write about is how DH is such a cutie or how LS really needs to up his "flirting".

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

22 minutes ago, triplesung said:

I nearly did that but went to health sciences instead because I know my brain will melt. If there was a degree called Masters in ELoD, I'll probably won't pass it because all I would study and write about is how DH is such a cutie or how LS really needs to up his "flirting".

There should be a survey in the demon realm to find out who among the demons and demonesses were carried off his bed. Hahaha. Bonus points for pinpointing who exactly is that pretty lad. :lol: 

Lian Song isn't deserving of that playboy title, he isn't gaining much ground with Cheng Yu. :lol: The recluse got married and had a son ahead of him. DH was bolder than LS; as soon as he sighted the one who caught his interest, he didn't waste time.

Let's see in Lotus Steps if LS "improves". Hahahaha. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4