[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

I think the Professor's suicide could be foul play and by none other than the powerful CEO of NJ group. He had shared with O Reum that with power, they can do anything like bringing down a company, what more when a powerful man is angry with O Reum for not helping him to acquit his brother in law and instead he's convicted and that meant tarnishing NJ group. That guy is abusing his wealth connections and power. He's so crazy that he could even hurt O Reum. 

Judge Han saying sorry to Judge Park in ep 14...I remember O Reum wanted to abstain from the case but Judge Han sought the understanding of the prosecution and they felt that it's alright for her to be on the judges' panel. The sentencing was derived unanimously by all 3. Judge Han is seen giving space to his juniors to express their thoughts and explain their recommendation.

There has to be a scapegoat and Park Cha O Reum is the main target as we know, due to her courage and conviction to bring fairness to the court. She, being a rookie judge, had to witness  this catastrophic outcome which is traumatizing. But she is indeed changing for the better as she knows her weakness is to judge the powerful at the start of the trial so she did right to ask Ba Reun to relentlessly remind her to stay unbiased. 

Judge Han is a powerful and impactful mentor with his wise words in this episode. His timely reiteration that the judge is the most powerful yet dangerous person in the court serves as a reminder to the 2 young judges that their judgement has serious consequences and it's important to bear that in mind. He reminded too, that a judge should not have pre-conceived notion that the powerful are bad right from the start.

I like the frankness of Ba Reun when he said that O Reum made his uncomfortable and that he reflects on himself and his belief, driven by her opposite qualities. A guy who self-reflects and make improvements because of the woman he likes, is admirable. O Reum's feelings stemmed from Ba Reun being there by her side always, to help her survive. It's a wonderful conversation between these 2 judges. It's a growing journey for each other and the foundation is laid.   :)

Ba Reun's protective nature kicked in as soon as he heard that O Reum could be drunk and the way he and Judge Jung hurried out.....  :D 

His going to O Reum's rescue is cool! I like the disco scene a lot. What happened with the 2 guys drowning the girl with liquor and trying to rape her  in a crowded pub is very realistic and relatable.

My fav lines -  "Working/Being with you is not good for my heart"

"It's ok to inconvenience others occasionally, especially with me".  :wub:

This is such a lovely edit of all the beautiful moments of  Ba Reun and O Reum, credit to bpwinces! Awesome job! 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E

We’re down to the last few episodes and I thought I have already seen everything but this series still has a lot more to offer. Since the Civil Court Department 44 is now handling criminal cases, they have been assigned to hear the case of a prominent professor who allegedly raped his student. A quasi-rape in legal term but I think a rape is a rape regardless of the details. Anyway, the case became more complicated as the professor involved turned out to be the brother-in-law of NJ Group’s Min Yong-joon (Lee Tae-sung). Since the defendant came from a powerful family, he can afford to hire a lawyer (who seem to be an expert on defending disgusting people). This said defense lawyer sure knows how to ask the right question to make it look like the victim willfully agreed to the sexual act. I’m enraged with his questioning and I know a lot of people still thinks that way.

Spoiler

miss-hammurabi-ep-13-feminism.jpg?w=697

Since I’m not a judge, I’m free to make my biases known and here’s my two cents worth: NO MEANS NO. As Im Ba-reun (Infinite L / Kim Myung-soo) said, humans are created to communicate verbally so why would someone assume what a woman wants based on their actions alone. Is that defendant a mutant who could read minds? He clearly isn’t. He’s just someone who can’t keep his small thing on his pants.

https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/07/05/k-drama-reaction-miss-hammurabi-episode-13/

I have just watched episode 12 and 13.  Our three judges were through a lot. And judging from the preview, episode 14 will be heavy too. 

As for O Reum and Ba Reun's relationship. Something has changed.  It looks like O Reum is now really interested in Ba Reun. Well, you wouldn't ask someone you don't have feelings for, what exactly he likes about you, right?  The thing is they are totally different from Bo Wang and Do Yeon (I don't mean in it in a bad way of course, different characters, different past). O Reum experienced sexual harassment in the past and it's not an easy thing to overcome. It takes a lot of time. Some people may never recover from this. But she is slowly changing and opening to Ba Reun. It's actually a great progress for her. And it's really admirable that Ba Reun is always there for her. It's not like he has to wait for her. He WANTS to wait because he knows she is worth it. And that's why his love for her is so obvious. I think that this time when she said that she will inconvenience him in the future because he is her right-seat judge had more meaning. She meant it as he is someone she can rely on. And as we know she didn't rely on anyone in the past in that way. That's why it means he is special to her. I really hope that O Reum's rich oppa won't harm their relationship. I don't know exactly why Ba Reun is kneeling before him in the preview but it so painful to watch. 

As for jufge Han. Oh boy, he is flawed but yet so admirable and great human being. He taught O Rum and Ba Reun a very important lesson. Things they do as judges do have consequenses. But they are just humans who make mistakes. And yes, their choices may have a very bad impact on people but the sad and hard to swallow turth is that they are not infallible. 

I am really looking forward to the next episode. 

With their workload, with their 'Job" , i have no idea how they can even think of love , let alone feel it....when would they have time , or desire ....working 12 hours a day does not lead to anything healthy , family or job, or romance or society or country.  This drama is really showing the poop that we are all pretending not to see so we can all pretend that we are living in good countries, and not like those poor refugees, or other 3rd world counties that we arrogantly refer to . I don't usually watch legal or murder dramas , i get nightmares , but i liked this drama because of this woman and her guts to have a go at cleaning the poop from the 'sacred institutions' that are full of it. I am glad this drama will soon be over , but what leaves a vile taste is the fear that since this was based on actual cases , what kind of collective vision did we create and aspire to. 

Hello to everyone here~ I just want to drop by and say how I am truly loving this drama. Both Go Ara and L surprised me with their performance (especially L/Myungsoo). But what I truly like about this drama is how they make every character vulnerable and human. It makes you question if you should 100% be empathetic to a character or you should balance your judgment. This drama is not perfect and not ambitious but lowkey wants to show you the side A and B of a situation. 

The romance between the leads is cherry on top. I like how Judge Park is a straightforward woman but when it comes to expressing her love and emotion to Judge Im it seems like shes confessing to a crime that even a mere "You can trouble me" line troubled her. Lol. Then its very different with Judge Im like how he always calculate things before he acts but when it comes to Judge Park he will do things for her without thinking (like grabbing his coat faster and getting out of the office faster when he heard Judge Park is also at the night club hahahaha~).

There are some things that I dont like about Judge Park like she gets clouded by her judgment easily when it comes to the weak and the poor but there is Judge Im to make her realize things. Were down to last 4? episodes but I am not worried of how will this end cause I have faith with the writer and everyone.

Lastly, Judge Han is amazing I have no words to describe his character but that.

Lets all enjoy the last few episodes and cheer for all~

@distressdoll

I agree with your observations.   :)

Both Ba Reun and O Reum seemed to be careful about how they expressed their liking for each other. In Ba Reun's case, it's really touching to see how a strict no-nonsense judge (AI) can fall in love with the same woman since his high school days. He has been faithful with his feelings, from not knowing anything about her (just a crush) to seeing her fighting for the weak and the poor, having absolutely different qualities from him....to questioning himself about his belief as such and best of all, adjusting himself for the better of society and for her. 

For O Reum, I guess it's due to her past sexual harassment experience that she finds it hard to express herself where feelings is concerned. Like she said, she doesn't know when she started liking Ba Reun...as he's always there for her, he became her strength and feelings just came naturally because she had come to depend on him to regulate her emotions. The scene was pretty touching....until our cool guy said "Shall we get back to work!".... :D

That is really typical Im Ba Reun...lol.  O Reum is blessed to be the woman he likes so loyally. Ba Reun has a passionate woman who would fight for him, if need. Lol..

3 more episodes to go and I hope we'll have Season 2 with the lead couple, the second couple and more court battles on a bigger scale plus showcasing the characters' development, their families and the team of judges mentoring the younger judges. Wishful thinking?  :P

@jl08 Haha, you're right as usual :)

I think I can understand why your cool guy says "Shall we get back to work!". Remember, after saying "I will inconvenience you in the future", she adds "because you're my right-seat judge". Although it has a deep meaning, it's still formal haha.

For ones who always hunger for more romance between our OTP like me, I must say I'm pleased with ep13 :) . And I have to admit that L is so handsome and manly in white shirt. I'm breathless all the time :) 

It's interesting to see 2 girls with their different reactions. In the scene after 2 bad guys arrested by police, when OR says to BR that she's fine and everything OK, then DY says to BW that she's not OK and wants him taking her home. At first, I'm OK with what OR says, but after that, I wish she would say what DY says, then we would have what we want hahaha. Just kidding chingus.

Oh my, this is the first time in my working life, I wish Monday to come soon :)

@jl08 agree, I think shes become a little bit of hesitant when it comes to feelings and men because of her experience with that nasty piano teacher and our Judge Im is doing things right by taking it slow even though he already admitted his feelings towards her hahaha hes patient and loyal.

@oceluna0801 L/Myungsoo is handsome and I die everytime he flashes his dimple :wub: 

Love line might be slow but on a good way that I can still endure. :D

@oceluna0801

You just started working? hehe....

Yes, I agree that L in white shirt is a killer. It just makes him look so charismatic and handsome! His dimples are another set of killers....lol. He's doing great as I just saw him in a Jap magazine interview. 

I wish that both of them have a photoshoot for a magazine interview for Miss Hammurabi. It deserves to have publicity for the drama and the actors. I'm surprised that there is none so far, for them together. It's a popular and meaningful drama. 

I think the PD wants to showcase the romance of BaReum couple as a contrast to the wild love of the second couple to highlight the 2 different kinds of love. It fits their characters well though I also agree that if only our lead couple can be a little bit adventurous like the second couple! hehe...

I like the romance so far....slow, steady, laying the foundation and knowing that they'll be there for each other always. That's the psychological assurance of a couple - no matter what happens he/she will support me and protect me. I agree that the occasional touch (drunk scene on the steps), deep stare and show of concern and exchange of thoughts and guidance between Ba Reun and O Reum are more exciting and meaningful. Their growth together is remarkable and touching. If there's one such cool indifferent smart guy like Ba Reun out there who is a soft man inside, cherishing and loving his first love and protecting her so preciously.....all I can say is WOW!  :D 

I believe that the case from this week will be used by YJ. Since the defendant was convicted and even tries to commit suicide (or commit suicide), NJ Group will use the media against the judges and OR will become the target. I sense that IBR decides to kneel down in front of YJ in order to protect OR. YJ will use the media against IBR and OR will be left spared. IBR might decide to change the department. That way, YJ ensures to get rid of a rival. But unfortunately for him, OR will discover the blackmail.

@bebebisous33

I  agree with your thoughts.  :)

As far as I understand Im Ba Reun's character, the one and only reason that he'll go down on his knees to that evil YJ is to protect O Reum who would be used as a scapegoat for the defendant's suicide. We know that he'll do anything for her, even signing that petition letter that he was initially  very much against. He also wanted to sign another letter about the other judge who accepted bribes where O Reum was approached. What more this time when it's more serious  and he can't bear to see O Reum being thrown to the devil's pit.

I hope it'll not turn too ugly because one episode they were confessing their feelings and the next episode, Ba Reun wants to leave O Reum alone. This PD ..... I am speechless.. lol.  I wish he's a fan of of this couple and  let good things befall on them instead.  But I can't hate the PD because he has a super sweet dialogue for my fav couple that goes like this:

"You are a beautiful man and a woman. You both look good together. You should date".   :D

The PD nim always looks at L and Ara fondly and I bet he's proud of their talent.

New bts....

Really enjoying this drama, the writing is really good it has more depth and quality than your typical Kdrama.  I wonder why there seems to be so few people watching it?  Topics are quite heavy but there is enough humour and romance to make it highly entertaining. The writer is definitely using the drama as a  vehicle to high light the problems in society. 

I noticed something funny (I could be completely wrong).  Right at the end of episode 2 when Judge Han and Judge Park are hanging up their gowns.  The music also appears in other episodes such as ep 5 and 6.

The background music for Judge Han sounds like the Superman theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

And the song for Judge Park sounded like Willie Wonka's Pure imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMXqViemvg

Then I got curious and looked at the lyrics and they so fit Oh Reum and what the drama is trying to say.  Like Oh Reum's character is supposed to be unrealistic because the writer dreams or wishes there was someone like this who wants to change the world and just does it (shake up the system).  So when this song shows up I assume that it didn't really happen like that and it's only the writers wishful thinking for a happy ending.

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world?
There's nothing to it

I've been catching up with this drama since last weekend and finally got to this point where I'm waiting for the next ep feeling very anxious.

Just reading through 22 pages has made me appreciate our writer even, even more. As I was watching Mis Hammurabi, I kept thinking back to the idea that the writer is an actual judge and I felt ridiculously relieved that judges think about such things. You know how in usual dramas (not just Korean, but American, Chinese, Japanese, Bollywood films all of them) the focus on judges usually surrounds them being corrupt, or a target of contempt by the main characters, or being entirely impartial (though this much less). Usually, judges, which have power are the ones that are the evil, less so than the people they judge.:neutral:

So, that was why what Han Se Sang said, "In the court, the judge is the most powerful," resonated with me. Because in the end, the judge makes the final decision. 

When we use this idea of judges being powerful and draw parallels for Oh Reum, she sees this power as a tool to protect the weak. She has spent her life becoming strong to protect the weak - the kind of child who declares to their teacher that they will become policemen regardless of a teacher's correction to 'policewomen', so that they can protect people from the bad guys. They have a white-black view of good-bad and as far as they are concerned, the bad should be destroyed regardless of anything. :no_mouth:

Oh Reum has my respect for her choosing her clothes, choosing her pasta, choosing to go ahead with a signing, choosing to go forth and spill blood - her unswerving sense of justice that doesn't bode well for her, is what the world needs. People with a strong sense of justice are often unable to see the bigger gains they can get because they stick to their moral yardsticks - in like k-drama tropes, these are the stickler for rules, in actual fact, the kind of person that I feel, Im Ba Reum was written to portray.

"People who cannot let go of their own sense of justice." - the people who cannot change themselves, in k-drama tropes we often get a bad guy who turns good for a girl. In this opposite sense, Oh Reum is a bit of goodness in the world who wants to hug the entire world and turn it good. In a world where there are injustices, the correct thing is not for Oh Reum to adapt and change herself, but to remain her, and fix the system. Of course, you can't change the world without adapting to it, and I feel that that is the main thing most here seem to gripe about it. :warning:

A few pages back I read someone who wrote about how her reporting of that Judge (who later got arrested) made them uncomfortable. I think this thought is very good. The judge was wrong, but we are willing to let it slide, because we think small things like that are 'okay' but they are wrong. Oh Reum does not make a value judgement of 'How wrong is it, can I just let it slide?' the way Ba Reum thinks, 'Just plagiarism of my stuff. Doesn't matter enough to report it. He's a senior too.' She goes straight for it, "That's bad. I won't stand for it." :triumph: (imagine her going hulk smash)

People like her make me feel like there is hope still, because until the end, "If there is blood to be spilt, I don't mind spilling my own," things like that (particularly gosh guys this is an ACTUAL judge writing this) are brave and foolhardy and things we rarely see in real life. 

What I wonder is, if Ba Reum slips up somewhere, would Oh Reum let it slide? She didn't let things slide for her oppa, Yong Joon. But most k-drama writers wouldn't do it in fear of hurting the ship. But it is something I hope to see from our writer, because that would provoke more thought. :relieved:

My favourite question so far, again by our eldest and legit adorable grumpy judge, "I've never understood why thieves" for the 100 criminal question. That certainly promotes a lot of thought. What if it was a 100 criminal question with 99 serial killers? What if that '1' was a family member? 

[That said, I admit I did ship the oppa ship for a little when he said "Make use of me. If that will keep you by my side, use me." Only for that moment, but honestly, he has no chance left now, not with the way he antagonises Ba Reum and is so unable to understand Oh Reum.]

Oops very long message :sweatingbullets: but here, have :cookie: as we all wait for ep 13!

On 7/2/2018 at 1:28 PM, blossomz said:

I know this is a legal drama but I can't help feeling disappointed about the progress of our two main leads. It's so slow even worse than turtles pace. And when we do get a cute moment, they jump back to a heavy court case. It's so frustrating for shippers. Feels like the producers are feeding crumbs. Lol. I have myself to blame for shipping them so deeply when I knew this drama won't fulfill my hopes. By the looks of it, we will only get that bicycle scene in the last couple of seconds in the finale. It sucks. Wish we can do a Rom com and put those two in it. 

Aside of shipping, the cases are interesting. Both Ara and MS are portraying their emotions very realistically without overreacting. Hope to see them in the finale as expert judges helping newbies. 

I would love to see a little more romance too but I'm not as frustrated since the cases are so compelling. I'm still backreading but wow the cases this week really did raise questions, The biggest one was since when does a rapist get a lesser sentence than the violent drunk man did? It was right to send him to jail. I feel bad about his circumstances but I'm happy they thought of the people he had harmed.  Don't be too hard on yourself for shipping them. I have watched many a jDrama where I was just so ready for some romance and nothing happened:flushed:  It didn't really affect those dramas quality,  but my motto is a little romance never hurts  I would love to see them together in a romance drama,  and I hope we get a little more in this one too. 

On 7/3/2018 at 11:16 AM, jl08 said:

Preview for ep 14. Looks like that Yung Jung caused trouble for O Reum? And is that Ba Reun kneeling down for O Reum's sake? Oh no...1 more week!

That preview really upset me, seeing Ba Reun kneeling in front of that jerkbsod-onion-head-emoticon.gif I have been waiting to watch both episodes on the weekend but I will be rushing after work to my laptop on Monday just to see what happens.:angry:

10 hours ago, evie7 said:

my motto is a little romance never hurts  I would love to see them together in a romance drama,  and I hope we get a little more in this one too. 

Yes. I agree that some romance would definitely spice up the drama. I think L and Ara really suit a Romance comedy...they're really different in real life too and that's just the thing that attracts people to them. It's the bubbly friendly girl meeting the cool, reserved guy and sparks will fly! 

:wub:

This bts is so funny....Ara and L really suit their characters....a young female judge passionate about the pigeons mating near them and wanting to witness it while the strict reserved judge said he's speaking his lines and why she wanted to watch the pigeons...lol. These 2 are so adorable!  :D

Credit:msl_redsunflower

The sequence of conversation by the staff is to be blamed...

Female staff: I want to see it

Male staff : They are having their intimate moment

Ara : Me too ....

(hahaha...actually she was replying to the female staff who said she wanted to see it but it appeared that she was replying to the guy) so L was quick to pick that up

L : "What do you mean by Me Too?"....lol

I want more BTS of such cute moments please!  :)

This is such a beautiful and touching scene.  A wounded O Reum seeking warmth and protection from Ba Reun by walking towards him because she knows he's there for her. Im Ba Reun, who is used to reigning in his emotions and putting on an emotionless front in court - did not disappoint O Reum  and and I'm so glad that he understood her pain and gave her the shelter that she needed with his hug and patting her as she cried.

I love that they have that deep understanding with each other without the need for words and that kind of feeling is even more awesome in a relationship.

Great job, Ara and L! Ba Reun and O Reum make such a beautiful couple.   :)

I love the song coming in at the right time!

While waiting for the sub, I guess that Yong Jung CEO must have strategized the entire machinery to make O Reum a scapegoat by abusing his enormous power. It's so painful to see Ba Reun going down on his knees. That CEO should be roasted...lol.

I love the realism in that drama so mutch that a part of me kind of want them to loose against the "evil" conglomerate and the institution.

The CEO acting like he is a good guy all along and all he does is justified is so wrong.

P.S. :It is me or in the end of the preview she jump to kiss him ? I just hope that if it's the case, she don't do it before leaving.

Archived