[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

@jl08 Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate it. :)

Episode 3 is a stood-out for me because for once I am able to watch a kdrama written to address sexual/work harassment straight to the point and able to get different point of views, especially from the 3 judges. Leading to the stories that made Episode 4 & 5 equally important.

Same here, I got hooked from the moment each of the characters were being introduced and even the side characters. They each have reasons for their actions and perspective that I could find relatable or have met such a person. Like the case of the child custody speaks close to home for me. The first time I've watched a kdrama that carries so much truth and issues that sometimes I feel like I was watching a semi-documentary not realising a full hour has passed in every episode. At the same time, I appreciate those lighter moments of funny scenes and the first love storyline because without those, I think I will take a longer time to recover from heart ache or puffy eyes from each episode.

I find both Im Ba-reun and Park Cha Oh-reum so relatable. Watching these two characters made me realised they both reminded me of how in each situation life put you, there is always something to learn from both failure and success. 

I've watched MH twice so far and it is definitely a drama I would watch again when the time calls for it. The ending scene of Episode 5 when OR gave her closing speech is a must to replay, followed by the ending scene of Episode 15 when Judge Han voiced out for his younger judges and then of course complete it with the Im-Ba reun Tour. ^_^

Although a scene I don't wish to replay but it does play in my mind often too is when OR hugged her mum who recovered and remembers her. I've been in similar experience before so it made me feel thankful for my mum's health these days. 

I sincerely hope everyone who has watched Miss Hammurabi can find lessons and moments that can put you in the light of positivity while living in this life. MS is truly one of those special dramas that can bring about an awareness and I love it for that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More beautiful FMVs to share....Miss H:Dammurabi is blessed to have many awesome fans doing MVs, especially featuring our lovely OTP Ba Reun and O Reum. I wish to see them collaborate together again in a blockbuster drama or movie! 

Thanks to @ende for highlighting the second MV! It's lovely! :)   Really miss them.

• 2 weeks later...

Cici: But just as I was getting comfortable with the progression of Ba Reun and Oh Reum’s relationship, Min Young Joon enters. The way he makes sure Ba Reun knows how much he and Oh Reum have in common is going to play on all Ba Reun’s insecurities.

Tanya: I’m hoping this turns into a wonderful rivalry, honestly. One of those that you can’t really be mad at because of the way it advances the characters. I think Ba Reun will be forced to face the leftover feelings he has from school earlier than he anticipated. We know he has some major insecurities, but I think his friendship with Bo Rang will keep him from giving up. Bo Rang always has awful advice, but the atmosphere is the best.

Janet: But hidden inside that awful advice is just enough truth and perhaps wisdom, to get Ba Reun thinking about what is really at stake. As different as they all are, they do have a common bond - righting injustices and helping others. I think it will be very interesting to see who they help next.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this recaps of Miss Hammurabi by chance and it gives a valuable, thoughtful recap and review of this beautiful drama. 

Reading this reminded me of certain details or perspective that I have loved about it or might have missed. 

https://marymekpop.com/2018/06/28/miss-hammurabi-episode-1-recap/

The drama continues to remain effortless to watch and brings us many great learning lessons and themes which other dramas rarely attempt to do. It’s for this reason and so many more that ‘Miss Hammurabi’ remains enjoyable and stands out. 10 episodes in and it is still the same drama that it started off as: eye-opening, light, warm, and powerful.

‘Miss Hammurabi’ is a drama of its own because there aren’t many dramas out there that is doing what it’s doing: having discussions about controversial topics and incidents relating to sexual harassment, strict hierarchy, powerful vs. powerless, the patriarchy in society, etc. Each episode brings forth something different and I especially like that there’s two different arguments that are usually presented for each topic. In this aspect, each episode is well-rounded and you hear both sides of the story for each case. This drama helps you think critically and listen in on what people have to say about the different topics it explores

Oh-reum rarely displayed any emotions or signs of distress and pain although she clearly felt that way many times throughout the drama. We’ve been so used to seeing her so hard-headed and loud and heroic that to see her cry and break down and be so afraid of the future was so challenging to watch. Her entire world is shattering and falling apart all at the same time in the worst ways possible and she’s not sure of how to fight back and to react.

Out of all the characters, Ba-reun to me was the one who changed the most and the one who I am the most proud of (although I’m also very proud of everyone else). Before he met Oh-reum, he was so aloof, cold, reserved, quiet, and complicit and he had his reasonings to be so. But through Oh-reum, he started to be more daring, bold, confident, out-going, and persistent and when Oh-reum was falling apart, he was the one there to hold her together and keep her strong. He also took the time to learn more about his parents to find what ways he could contribute to improve their family dynamic. Whether it’s work, relationships, family, or himself, Ba-reun developed in so many ways in all those aspects and I truly am so proud of him for doing things he would have never done ever. And of course, that was all thanks to Oh-reum.

Oh-reum remained so strong and bold and daring, but there were also times where she broke down and wanted to quit everything and just give up. I loved seeing these conflicting sides of her because it showed that: 1) she is human 2) it’s hard to change a system that no one has attempted to change before. She was setting a precedent by being the first to shake the court system up and it was difficult for her because no one was on her side in fear of repercussions and consequences. It’s no wonder why she was so stressed and overwhelmed when those within and outside of the court district were coming after her. Despite all the chaos and controversy, she was essentially the person to encourage everyone else to do the same and to voice their valid opinions. Don’t give in and don’t stay quiet even though you know things are wrong just because you’re afraid. Even if it’s dangerous and risky, always stand up for what you believe in because that’s the right thing to do. This was essentially what Oh-reum taught the rest of her colleagues and judges who were also being mistreated and discriminated the way she was. Oh-reum truly played such an incredible and important role to those close and far from her and her legacy as ‘Miss Hammurabi’ in and out of the court district will inarguably live on.

Read on via link :) 

• 6 months later...

Archived