Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

Really enjoying this drama, the writing is really good it has more depth and quality than your typical Kdrama.  I wonder why there seems to be so few people watching it?  Topics are quite heavy but there is enough humour and romance to make it highly entertaining. The writer is definitely using the drama as a  vehicle to high light the problems in society. 

I noticed something funny (I could be completely wrong).  Right at the end of episode 2 when Judge Han and Judge Park are hanging up their gowns.  The music also appears in other episodes such as ep 5 and 6.

The background music for Judge Han sounds like the Superman theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

And the song for Judge Park sounded like Willie Wonka's Pure imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMXqViemvg

Then I got curious and looked at the lyrics and they so fit Oh Reum and what the drama is trying to say.  Like Oh Reum's character is supposed to be unrealistic because the writer dreams or wishes there was someone like this who wants to change the world and just does it (shake up the system).  So when this song shows up I assume that it didn't really happen like that and it's only the writers wishful thinking for a happy ending.

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world?
There's nothing to it

• Like 12

I've been catching up with this drama since last weekend and finally got to this point where I'm waiting for the next ep feeling very anxious.

Just reading through 22 pages has made me appreciate our writer even, even more. As I was watching Mis Hammurabi, I kept thinking back to the idea that the writer is an actual judge and I felt ridiculously relieved that judges think about such things. You know how in usual dramas (not just Korean, but American, Chinese, Japanese, Bollywood films all of them) the focus on judges usually surrounds them being corrupt, or a target of contempt by the main characters, or being entirely impartial (though this much less). Usually, judges, which have power are the ones that are the evil, less so than the people they judge.:neutral:

So, that was why what Han Se Sang said, "In the court, the judge is the most powerful," resonated with me. Because in the end, the judge makes the final decision. 

When we use this idea of judges being powerful and draw parallels for Oh Reum, she sees this power as a tool to protect the weak. She has spent her life becoming strong to protect the weak - the kind of child who declares to their teacher that they will become policemen regardless of a teacher's correction to 'policewomen', so that they can protect people from the bad guys. They have a white-black view of good-bad and as far as they are concerned, the bad should be destroyed regardless of anything. :no_mouth:

Oh Reum has my respect for her choosing her clothes, choosing her pasta, choosing to go ahead with a signing, choosing to go forth and spill blood - her unswerving sense of justice that doesn't bode well for her, is what the world needs. People with a strong sense of justice are often unable to see the bigger gains they can get because they stick to their moral yardsticks - in like k-drama tropes, these are the stickler for rules, in actual fact, the kind of person that I feel, Im Ba Reum was written to portray.

"People who cannot let go of their own sense of justice." - the people who cannot change themselves, in k-drama tropes we often get a bad guy who turns good for a girl. In this opposite sense, Oh Reum is a bit of goodness in the world who wants to hug the entire world and turn it good. In a world where there are injustices, the correct thing is not for Oh Reum to adapt and change herself, but to remain her, and fix the system. Of course, you can't change the world without adapting to it, and I feel that that is the main thing most here seem to gripe about it. :warning:

A few pages back I read someone who wrote about how her reporting of that Judge (who later got arrested) made them uncomfortable. I think this thought is very good. The judge was wrong, but we are willing to let it slide, because we think small things like that are 'okay' but they are wrong. Oh Reum does not make a value judgement of 'How wrong is it, can I just let it slide?' the way Ba Reum thinks, 'Just plagiarism of my stuff. Doesn't matter enough to report it. He's a senior too.' She goes straight for it, "That's bad. I won't stand for it." :triumph: (imagine her going hulk smash)

People like her make me feel like there is hope still, because until the end, "If there is blood to be spilt, I don't mind spilling my own," things like that (particularly gosh guys this is an ACTUAL judge writing this) are brave and foolhardy and things we rarely see in real life. 

What I wonder is, if Ba Reum slips up somewhere, would Oh Reum let it slide? She didn't let things slide for her oppa, Yong Joon. But most k-drama writers wouldn't do it in fear of hurting the ship. But it is something I hope to see from our writer, because that would provoke more thought. :relieved:

My favourite question so far, again by our eldest and legit adorable grumpy judge, "I've never understood why thieves" for the 100 criminal question. That certainly promotes a lot of thought. What if it was a 100 criminal question with 99 serial killers? What if that '1' was a family member? 

[That said, I admit I did ship the oppa ship for a little when he said "Make use of me. If that will keep you by my side, use me." Only for that moment, but honestly, he has no chance left now, not with the way he antagonises Ba Reum and is so unable to understand Oh Reum.]

Oops very long message :sweatingbullets: but here, have :cookie: as we all wait for ep 13!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

On 7/2/2018 at 1:28 PM, blossomz said:

I know this is a legal drama but I can't help feeling disappointed about the progress of our two main leads. It's so slow even worse than turtles pace. And when we do get a cute moment, they jump back to a heavy court case. It's so frustrating for shippers. Feels like the producers are feeding crumbs. Lol. I have myself to blame for shipping them so deeply when I knew this drama won't fulfill my hopes. By the looks of it, we will only get that bicycle scene in the last couple of seconds in the finale. It sucks. Wish we can do a Rom com and put those two in it. 

Aside of shipping, the cases are interesting. Both Ara and MS are portraying their emotions very realistically without overreacting. Hope to see them in the finale as expert judges helping newbies. 

I would love to see a little more romance too but I'm not as frustrated since the cases are so compelling. I'm still backreading but wow the cases this week really did raise questions, The biggest one was since when does a rapist get a lesser sentence than the violent drunk man did? It was right to send him to jail. I feel bad about his circumstances but I'm happy they thought of the people he had harmed.  Don't be too hard on yourself for shipping them. I have watched many a jDrama where I was just so ready for some romance and nothing happened:flushed:  It didn't really affect those dramas quality,  but my motto is a little romance never hurts  I would love to see them together in a romance drama,  and I hope we get a little more in this one too. 

On 7/3/2018 at 11:16 AM, jl08 said:

Preview for ep 14. Looks like that Yung Jung caused trouble for O Reum? And is that Ba Reun kneeling down for O Reum's sake? Oh no...1 more week!

That preview really upset me, seeing Ba Reun kneeling in front of that jerkbsod-onion-head-emoticon.gif I have been waiting to watch both episodes on the weekend but I will be rushing after work to my laptop on Monday just to see what happens.:angry:

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

10 hours ago, evie7 said:

my motto is a little romance never hurts  I would love to see them together in a romance drama,  and I hope we get a little more in this one too. 

Yes. I agree that some romance would definitely spice up the drama. I think L and Ara really suit a Romance comedy...they're really different in real life too and that's just the thing that attracts people to them. It's the bubbly friendly girl meeting the cool, reserved guy and sparks will fly! 

:wub:

This bts is so funny....Ara and L really suit their characters....a young female judge passionate about the pigeons mating near them and wanting to witness it while the strict reserved judge said he's speaking his lines and why she wanted to watch the pigeons...lol. These 2 are so adorable!  :D

Credit:msl_redsunflower

The sequence of conversation by the staff is to be blamed...

Female staff: I want to see it

Male staff : They are having their intimate moment

Ara : Me too ....

(hahaha...actually she was replying to the female staff who said she wanted to see it but it appeared that she was replying to the guy) so L was quick to pick that up

L : "What do you mean by Me Too?"....lol

I want more BTS of such cute moments please!  :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

This is such a beautiful and touching scene.  A wounded O Reum seeking warmth and protection from Ba Reun by walking towards him because she knows he's there for her. Im Ba Reun, who is used to reigning in his emotions and putting on an emotionless front in court - did not disappoint O Reum  and and I'm so glad that he understood her pain and gave her the shelter that she needed with his hug and patting her as she cried.

I love that they have that deep understanding with each other without the need for words and that kind of feeling is even more awesome in a relationship.

Great job, Ara and L! Ba Reun and O Reum make such a beautiful couple.   :)

I love the song coming in at the right time!

While waiting for the sub, I guess that Yong Jung CEO must have strategized the entire machinery to make O Reum a scapegoat by abusing his enormous power. It's so painful to see Ba Reun going down on his knees. That CEO should be roasted...lol.

• Like 13

I love the realism in that drama so mutch that a part of me kind of want them to loose against the "evil" conglomerate and the institution.

The CEO acting like he is a good guy all along and all he does is justified is so wrong.

P.S. :It is me or in the end of the preview she jump to kiss him ? I just hope that if it's the case, she don't do it before leaving.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, jl08 said:

I guess that Yong Jung CEO must have strategized the entire machinery to make O Reum a scapegoat by abusing his enormous power. It's so painful to see Ba Reun going down on his knees. That CEO should be roasted...lol.

Wow, so he was just using his childhood friend, poor OR  that really has to hurt. Ceo Jung is a total  Richard Simmonsdragonmadplz.gif?1  Thanks for the mini recap, @Ayame Thanks for the preview :love:I needed to see that to know it's safe to watch tonite.

@yusefull It looks like a kiss to me:P

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yusefull said:

P.S. :It is me or in the end of the preview she jump to kiss him ? I just hope that if it's the case, she don't do it before leaving.

It's a kiss too, I think. Maybe on the check or so it seems. Well, if she's really leaving, Ba Reun is going with her cause he just said that he'll go with her wherever she goes^^. The letter she was holding was his resignation too.

Oh, I hope 15 is not the last episode since the ones they're wearing at that last scene on the preview, I believe, was the one they were wearing on their last filming BTS. I know this is supposed to be 16 eps.

• Like 9

OR is so beaten in this episode. Her so called douchy friend, YJ is lousy and manipulative and she looks like she's giving up the fight. BR is too perfect. That's the only unrealistic part of this drama cause there's not alot of these guys in the real world. 

Aww... It's going to be a "cheeky" kissu. Cause the producer loves the innocence and seems to enjoys the endless torture for any shipper. Even the birds in the background are getting more action than these two. The irony. Classic. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
  • Thanks 1

This drama make me remember of live so mutch.

In both the mc want to do good things but are crushed by an institution and the stupidity of the citizen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OMG this is really happening. Can't wait for episode 15. Tbh, I wasn't even expecting a proper hug but this feels like I found  a treasure chest.:wub:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

I love ep 14. It's full of self-questioning and touching moments. The doubts got so bad that O Reum, a chirpy confident young judge, found her world crumbling down when the victim changed her testimony. What hit her most was the fact that the defendant nearly took his own life. That's a big issue and least expected.

But is it O Reum's fault? Her recommendation was done based on the victim's and witness's account. If the victim now commits perjury of the court, it's not the judge's fault. The thing is - the outcome of the second trial has shakened O Reum's belief that the weak needs protection because she has the tendency to start the trial biased against the powerful and wealthy. Judge Han had pointed that out to her before. She's blaming herself harshly for being bias. 

The whole scam masterminded by YJ CEO left a bitter taste in the mouth. It's disgusting to see what power can do to people and harm them and shred their dignity to the core, like what happened to Ba Reun who was forced to go down on his knees. It's such a shame when one abuses his power so enormously, and let his personal jealousy overwhelmed him. No matter that O Reum is his childhood friend. Like Ba Reun said, YJ is the lion that eats the deer, and seek sympathy at that too! Even the court can't stop the abuse of power but they're even thinking of saving themselves by offering a scapegoat! So the excuse to continue with O Reum's disciplinary action.

Ba Reun - an out-of-this-world guy who will do whatever he can to help his beloved O Reum. He's prepared to resign from the job that he loves and needs to support his family. He was ready to sacrifice his pride when he went down on his knees for the woman he loves. He fights for her in his own way. He may not know how to show it or he's reticent with his emotions but when it comes to the crux, what he does for her is beyond ordinary. His quiet strength is what made O Reum fell in love with him. She motivates him to reflect on himself to change for the better. They're as opposite as their true personalities in reality...

O Reum - a strong woman full of passion and drive with bias for the poor and weaker beings. In that one moment, when she rejected YJ's call for help for his brother-in-law (the defendant), she would never dream that he would be so vindictive against her. She was too shakened to see that the whole case was manipulated by him when Ba Reum tried to tell her that someone was influencing the outcome. O Reum's loss of confidence stemmed from her previous case of reporting the corrupted friendly judge and getting him convicted and she was ridiculed and blamed by the other judges for being too harsh. With this latest attempted suicide case, it's too much for her. 

Beyond all the messed up judicial system and its  injustice towards the less fortunate beings lies a beautiful love story that strikes a chord deeply, for me at least, that after every storm there is a rainbow. 

All that O Reum needed at that moment from Ba Reun.....was comfort in his hug. A beautiful, meaningful and warm hug. No matter how disillusioned both were with the judicial system, at least they derive strength from each other and found love.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I say whether they end up together or not BR will still be poor and O Reum will still have debts and a sick mother? No wonder parental opposition is not a plot point.

Man that is or will be a realistic end to a somewhat realistic drama. The OTP will not suddenly end up rich.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

When lips met lips for our 2 young judges...after all the hardship they went through...well, even if it's only a peck from one to another....it's fine..can't expect much at this stage...lol.

I like O Reum crying in Ba Reun's arms..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Preview for final ep next week. I will miss this awesome drama with its awesome lead couple. If there's a season 2, please keep the same cast!

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2