Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

Ok. I am upset. 

I am upset with the reality. Not with the drama. It has been a good drama but it hurts that the good guys didn't get a fairytale ending.

Man real life sucks. I continue to feel sorry for the judges- the real ones. I understand this is a drama. But the writer writes too close to the truth.

• Like 5

My favorite thing about Episode 16 is that it closes no doors to a second season!  Judge Im can make Min Yong Joon kneel down before the law, as promised. Judge Park can take on the discrimination that women who marry and get pregnant and have children (confident, bedimpled ones @jeijei ) face in the workplace.  There's certainly no shortage of societal ills and philosophical conundrums to explore.    

The episode was not the series' strongest though.  It's strange that Judge Im and Judge Park would have commenced dating in the previous episode, and still behave so distantly in this one.  They are two people in their late 20s or early 30s, in love, in a tiny office together from morning to night.  They are professionals, yes, but you'd think there would be some physical displays of affection - touches on the shoulder, wiping away of the other person's tears, hugging - given that both of them find it heart-taxing to be in close proximity with each other.  I can't tell if this is a failure in the writing, directing, or acting, but I wasn't satisfied with just the conversation about how there wasn't any time to think about anything but the trial, but Judge Im made Judge Park's heart beat fast, and Judge Im found her confession cute.  It's not just a desire for romance, but an issue of character development and the series' arc.  Judge Park is a passionate person, and part of her journey is being able to express that with a man after years of bad experiences with them.  Judge Im has been more or less pining for Judge Park since they were teenagers, and I think that seeing him express his affection physically is important to show that he no longer just keeps his feelings checked by expectations of disappointment and bottled up.    

I found the music a little overwrought.  I also wished our protagonists got to do more in this episode.  Judge Park was limited to some questioning at the trial, and Judge Im got a bunch of signatures, but mostly, they had tearful or satisfied-smile reaction shots.  The resolution of the villains (Judge Sung and Min Yong Joon) was way too rushed.  And Senior Judge Han's resignation didn't make much sense.  Someone has to take responsibility, but I thought that person was going to be Supreme Court Justice Sung.  What is Senior Judge Han going to do?  Join NJ Group's legal department so that he can pay for his daughters to go to better schools?  Become a stay-at-home dad and give his wife a chance to do something other than fold laundry?  And I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the final scene with the adolescent fist bump.  

But the jury trial was interesting and the episode was also uplifting and hopeful in a way that seems in short supply these days.  I love this theme of how it only takes one seed to grow something new.  Judge Park, assisted by Judge Im, has been busy scattering seeds since Episode 1, and enough have born fruit to make a revolution.  Judge Hong finds her voice and steps up to defend her defender, and in #metoo fashion, inspires dozens of other associate judges to speak out on Senior Judge Sung's abusive ways.  Judge Jung finds the courage to get signatures for a petition on Judge Park's behalf.  The peeing duo join the effort.  The sexual harassment and medical malpractice victims whom Judge Park fought for team up to expose Min Yong Joon's perfidy.  The department chair is ashamed of scapegoating his juniors and rescinds the disciplinary proceeding against Judge Park.  Secretary Lee writes her dream script Miss Hammurabi. 

And it's not just Judge Park who has been scattering seeds. As Secretary Lee says, the judges you thought didn't exist are really everywhere.  I thought this was profoundly expressed through the jurors, both the female juror who so deeply empathized with the victim's mother when one might have expected her to identify with the defendant, and the subway drunk who spoke up on behalf of the victim and urged the group to deliberate carefully for the sake of justice.  There is goodness everywhere, and the most unexpected people may be warriors against injustice in their own way.  All those seeds add up to make an exponential difference.  I am grateful for this special drama that has so much heart, and am sad that it is over.      

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe this drama ended already. This is one of the most realistic dramas I have ever watched. Every episode made me question my thoughts about several issues. No drama has ever left a impact on me like Miss Hammurabi did. I really want to thank the writer, actors especially Sung Dong il, Kim Myung Soo, Go Ara and staff for bringing this drama to life. I hope more and more people become aware of this drama and what a gem it is. About the romance between the leads I know many wished for more but according to what I have read on various sites that it was never hinted in the novel that Im Ba reum and Park Cha oreum ended up together at least in the drama we know that they are together. Well the kiss initiated by OR and hand holding initiated by BR I think its clear that they are very well together although it will take some time for the shyness and awkwardness to disappear but we know one day they will make it successfully just like any other normal couple. 

There were no hints of season 2 but I guess it's not completely impossible to have a season 2. All we can do is just wish for it. If we get one that would be the biggest gift drama gods could ever give me. After this watching this drama I can proudly say k dramas are not just all about fluffy romance and unrealistic tropes but can also present realistic situations of life in the most beautiful and artistic way possible. Miss Hammurabi deserves all the praise and attention I feel blessed to come across this master piece and will now recommend this drama to my friends and family. Good luck to the writer and cast for their future work and last but not the least thank you all for keeping this thread alive with your regular postings. I have enjoyed reading all your opinions and found myself nodding to what most of you all said. It was nice reading your opinions. Hope we get more dramas like this in future. 

DiQ_8R2UcAActAF.jpg

DiQ_8R3VAAEAqOA.jpg

• Like 10

I wouldn't mind a second season...

@lara2018 HSH resigned because of the last case... Like IBR said, the prosecution might appeal against the decision of this trial, since so far no one had been found innocent in such a case. During their conversation, it was hinted that their verdict might be overruled and they would get criticized for the first verdict. By resigning, HSH makes sure that IBR and OR are protected. 

• Like 10

Lol...this ep is heartwarming yet funny..

"Those who get bad grades are always specific about where they sit" - aspiring Judge Han to Student Park in the library  :D

And so the squabble went over a mere seat....

"Those who claim their rights(seat) late can't be protected by the law. In civil law, there is "adverse possession".

A person may not know this land(seat) is owned by someone else. If he stays there for a long time, the land becomes his"..... and I thought O Reum was away for only 5 minutes? lol..

Student Im Ba Reun's straight and awesome personality:

"That's complete robbery!"

Student Han:

"I told you that's part of the civil law"

"Besides, she isn't saying anything. Why are you meddling?" Are you her boyfriend or something?

Ba Reun: No, I'm not but....

At the police station:

"A report for sexual molestation? Who are you to bring this? Are you her boyfriend?

Ba Reun:  "No, I'm not but..."  

"Instead of meddling, go home and study"

Is there an Im Ba Reun for real?  He just loves to 'meddle' in O Reum's affairs, doesn't he? So sweet of him...His love surely ran deep!

And it's only in the final episode that I know how much he loves O Reum - he actually filed a sexual molestation report after she told him about her piano teacher? OMG. I love Im Ba Reun. Seriously.:wub:

And we can see O Reum's combative sense of justice since she was a student:

"This is my seat. I won't yield. So go and take an empty seat over there!" 

Even the aspiring Judge Han was already afraid of her killer stare at that time:

"OK. fine. She's glaring at me as if she's about to kill me!"  - this was relatable at the part where Judge Han told Judge Park that if he didn't say something, he could feel her glare at him during a court case....lol

Don't you just love our 3 totally different yet similar judges? They may be different in their personalities yet they aspire to bring equality and justice to the court in their own ways, based on their beliefs and character and experience that they bring with them. It's the manner of fighting for justice that took a turn with putting oneself in the shoes of others and bringing a heart to the panel in a courtroom that change the judicial system. I hope this drama will reach out to overseas judicial systems and enrich them with reality and justice for the weaker and poorer ones. Of course not all of this group are good but at least, they can have a fair sense of sentencing if judges are made aware that there are good ones around who can't afford to fight their own battle. The lesson learnt is also that the court should not favor the rich and powerful in every situation.

Best drama for me. I'm glad Go Ara took this project. She literally shines with brilliance as Miss Hammurabi. Kim Myung Soo shines equally bright as her right-seat judge who tries to get her out of trouble...and as her awesome and dedicated boyfriend.   :wub:

Of course the brightest sunshine comes from their boss, Presiding Judge Han Se Sang. He loves them like his kids.

Yes, I do hope for a Season 2 because the drama is based on real cases and since it's enriching the judicial systems not just in South Korea but I heard China is also recommending the drama....why not? the world is better with a good drama like MH.

Besides, I've to admit that I would love to see the love relationship of our beloved BaReum couple aka #laracouple take off to a higher level for sure. It's assumed that they end up together for which I'm thankful for ep 15's brief romantic scenes...but I'd like to be sure. lol..  :D

Some sweet scenes to recapture...

Ba Reun's confession is awesome

BaReum's first hug...so innocent and protective from the start...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

i felt bad that Judge Han Se Sang. resigned i wonnder what will be his next job. I can imagine that he will become a lawyer.coause how can he support his kids and i thinkk that's more realistic. this drama affected meso much cause i think the writers really know what's happening in real liife....

• Like 4

Wow this show as so good. Just sad it’s over now and wish we had a little bit more closure. Maybe even a scene of three months later with everyone meeting for food like they did to comfort OH at her house last episode. But this time judge Han and his family is there too. Maybe both couples are engaged or writernims and her man are married and OH are engaged so there’s like that display of how things are solidified between both.

• Like 3

@bebebisous33 I see... but the show implies that Mr. NJ Group is going to get exposed for buying off the victim so that she changed her testimony.  That was the basis for the appellate reversal.  And Justice Sung was in charge of the reversal, and he’s been publicly-exposed as abusive and incompetent.  So I get why Judge Han would have the impulse to resign, but by the end the episode, there’s really no need.  And he made BOTH of our sweet judges cry!  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, lara2018 said:

@bebebisous33 I see... but the show implies that Mr. NJ Group is going to get exposed for buying off the victim so that she changed her testimony.  That was the basis for the appellate reversal.  And Justice Sung was in charge of the reversal, and he’s been publicly-exposed as abusive and incompetent.  So I get why Judge Han would have the impulse to resign, but by the end the episode, there’s really no need.  And he made BOTH of our sweet judges cry!  

You are mixing up the cases. The case I was referring to was the last one: the abused wife who killed her husband in order to protect herself. This has nothing to do with NJ Group. The jurors found her innocent too but their opinion is just a recommendation. The judges have the final saying. However, since in such a case, a victim has never been declared innocent before, there might be an appeal.

• Like 3

Wow! this FMV of Ba Reun and O Reum #laracouple sweet moments is just so lovely...

Credit : Mazzy @bpwinces!  She's awesome as her laptop crashed and yet she did this video..

I already miss our beloved BaReum couple so much....

I'm thankful that we are able to indulge in the beautiful chemistry between L and Ara not just in MH, but also in Knowing Brothers and Baeksang Awards as you can see in this wonderful vid...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/17/2018 at 3:34 PM, lara2018 said:

It's not just a desire for romance, but an issue of character development and the series' arc.  Judge Park is a passionate person, and part of her journey is being able to express that with a man after years of bad experiences with them.  Judge Im has been more or less pining for Judge Park since they were teenagers, and I think that seeing him express his affection physically is important to show that he no longer just keeps his feelings checked by expectations of disappointment and bottled up.

I share the same opinion here. As I've also mentioned in my earlier post from previous episodes, I've noticed that there is no follow up with the love relationship and character development of Im Ba Reun and Park Cha O Reum. In one episode, Ba Reun visited her mum; in the next episode, they're back to formal colleagues and there's no connection with previous episodes. It's like that distant feeling again in their relationship, on and off. 

I also wonder how it's possible that they're not affectionate in the final episode after 'kissing' and holding hands in ep 15. Again, there is no follow up between ep 15 and ep 16. It's glaring that this part is omitted or perhaps since it's a legal drama, they needed to cover all the legal stuff within ep 16 and it's true that all the villian were taken to task in a flash. Perhaps it would be good to have 20 episodes so that we can see the growth of the judges and their character development.

It's also funny that after mutual confession, ep 16 seems to have an awkward atmosphere in the 2 judges' office and in their behavior - I agree that some physical display of affection would make it more realistic after having a 'hot' date the previous day supposedly...lol.

My conclusion is that the romance is not included by the scriptwriter and even if there were brief scenes, you could see that the PD does not have creative ideas of dating and Ba Reun is left holding his handkerchief during the entire kiss shot! lol...He could have put it down and at some point, maybe close his eyes? I know he's surprised but he could have closed his eyes later....it would have been more romantic. Also, during the hugging scene bts, I heard the director suggesting that Ba Reun hugged O Reum with one hand and that it is more heart-fluttering with one hand! Really? I 'm so glad that Myung Soo suggested that he would decide when the real scene is shot. 2 hands caressing his woman is much better than one hand imo....one hand would have shown that his consolation is not wholeheartedly done.

But there again the lead couple seemed shy at times (bts of kissing and holding hands and standing on the kissing spot in the heart-shaped lights - they do looked awkward/shy)  so...maybe they're spared from all the melo scenes to ease their mind?  :D

With the open-ended finale and the high rating, I definitely wish for a Season 2 with the same cast and please include "Romance" in the genre next time!  :wub:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

You are mixing up the cases. The case I was referring to was the last one: the abused wife who killed her husband in order to protect herself. This has nothing to do with NJ Group. The jurors found her innocent too but their opinion is just a recommendation. The judges have the final saying. However, since in such a case, a victim has never been declared innocent before, there might be an appeal.

Judge Han resigned before they got the verdict in the last case; he just told the associates after getting the verdict.  Anyway, I like that he wants to protect them and I even think it is fine for him to want to move on with his life.  But the show emphasized that the world is right and just with the three of them, so I’m not happy with the implications of separating the world from right and just!

• Like 3

I came across the link to this forum after watching the cast on Knowing Brother. Thank you Julia, wherever you are. 

I spent some time to read all the discussions here and I'm very grateful for all the contributions as I found a good personal closure for the drama as well as a great personal continuation of thoughts. 

I've only been watching kdrama selectively in recent years so when a gem like Miss Hammurabi came along, it is worth the discussion. 

Knowing that kdrama is not widely known to give heavy dose of legal dramas like Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, Judging Amy or Suits, I'm always happy to chance upon one. 

Going into the first episode, I managed to watch one trailer and read on the Code of Hammurabi, and I didn't think much about any of the characters or plots. Somehow, from that very episode, I felt MH is special. BR and OR set the tone well at the start. As more of these stories unfold, a lot of things tucked into my mind especially about child custody battle, BR's dad and OR's mum where these matters are next to me everyday. In many ways, I could understand both BR's and OR's situations and their growth in work/personal relationships. A slice of life indeed. 

Someone mentioned about OR's coat being her armour. In fashion theory, her coat can serve as a metaphor hence as much as it annoyed some audience, I find it purposeful for her character too. Even Bruce Wayne is known for two main outfits - fine suits and cape. 

Like everyone, there will be work/projects we do, that are not our best but we had the right intention therefore I understand why some reserved second thoughts on Go Ara's projects; say after watching Hwarang, where the writing (and makeup) did not do much justice to the main casts. Therefore it's great to see her in this role, supported by an excellent writing, casts and crew.

My MVP in MH is Kim Myung Soo because I have almost no knowledge of his work so to watch his BR lead and support Go Ara's OR with conviction, made me grateful for his work. I will definitely come back to rewatch MH whenever I need it. 

Here's a quote by author E.B. White that made me think of BR, OR and MH: 

"As long as there is one upright man, as long as there is one compassionate woman, the contagion may spread and the scene is not desolate. Hope is the thing that is left to us, in a bad time." 

Good day to all. 

Edited by ende
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ende said:

"As long as there is one upright man, as long as there is one compassionate woman, the contagion may spread and the scene is not desolate. Hope is the thing that is left to us, in a bad time." 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations on MH, Go Ara and Kim Myung Soo. 

The above quote is really very apt to the drama's context. It's like Ba Reun saying that the seeds are spreading...you can see the female reporter and old woman that O Reum had helped, coming back to help her at the end. It's heart-warming. We can also see O Reum's staff and colleagues rallying around her at the end, even though O Reum had stepped on their toes. It's like at the end of the day, the one compassionate woman has brought hope where desolation lurked before. She had fought a tough battle yet she persevered. 

I hope the people who criticized actors and actresses know where they're coming from. The actors and actresses act according to the script and the producer's calling. As we can see in bts, at times the producer and director leave it to the actors and actresses to execute certain emotions, as long as they're within the script. Say, if Ara is required to wail, she will wail. However she does it, she might be given the freedom to wail but she will still need to wail. It's in the script.

As for the huge coats etc, shouldn't we focus on the acting and story? We don't know the background of her attire. In one of the bts, we saw that she was so cold (hanbok thin material) that Myung Soo saw and asked for a heater or blanket for her. Some people just can't take the coldness...we really don't know the background. 

Anyway, I really enjoyed the drama and the great cast with their camaraderie and I hope  to see a Season 2 with more complex issues and learning points, not to mention spicing it with more romance from Ara and Myung Soo. Yes, the same cast would do the trick. :D

• Like 2

Since Go Ara doesn't go on variety show as much (she's awesome in Running Man), and in the short time they both had, I appreciate that she displayed a lot of relatable scene/theme found in MH during the Knowing Brother episode. I watched it twice to realised she pointed out things like her first love story (Im Ba-Reun throughout MH), ice-cream penalty (them eating in ep15), her magic tricks (Ga On's magic tricks in ep 11 & 15) and sharing their own regrettable moments to learn from; just as we've seen through the stories found in MH. :)

• Like 2