[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

1 hour ago, Slyfindor said:

I doubt that the drama would have a completely happy ending for the couple, I would be the happiest if it has, but speaking from the past experience of drama watching, fantasy dramas mostly never tend to have an absolute happy ending.. They endings tend to fall between somewhere of a total sad ending to a middle ground between mortal and immortal,  something more acceptable... 

But nonetheless there's nothing wrong in wishing for an absolute happy ending.. :unsure:

I too feel the same, it is always difficult for human and immortals to be together in any stories, but, I'm wishing that Hong sisters have prepared a satisfiying ending for fhe viewers. there will be a lot of tears, but hopefull it will all work out in the end. *finger crossed

• Like 2

Hong sister will find ways to make that happy ending happen .:D I rmber mgiag last episode i thought miho is gone . Thats where fantasy drama used "miracle" i rmmber one line in mgiag too “The sun and the moon—they can’t exist in the same space. But they break that rule, and come together, in the eclipse.” there lul . Still my favorite kdrama :)

• Like 7

You guys are so right there’s rarely ever a truly happy ending for a fantasy drama. It’s usually bitter sweet. Even if the couple do end up together one will stay immortal and one will stay mortal. Meaning even if they are together the human life span will end and the immortal being will continue living without the love of their life. Just like in My girlfriend is a gumiho with mi ho staying immortal daw Woong staying human and just like goblin where kim shin stayed an immortal and eun tak Will eventually die. I don’t want an immortal and mortal being together !!! Make them equals so they don’t have to live without each other please !!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hello everyone, i'm new here, i've been reading this forum since the first episode but just now decide to make an account to write something here.

After watch ep 8, this is my thought in episode 4, when SM see the world crush, MW and Sa Bo Ri have a conversation about the hell gate being open, in that conversation MW ask "Is it Samjang who gonna save the world or is it Son Oh Gong?" As I remember So Bo Ri wasn't answer to that. So i think world needs Oh Gong but Oh Gong isn't someone who willing to save the world that is why they need Samjang who destiny to control Oh Gong (not with GGG but with Oh Gong loves towards SM). So technically heaven will never let Samjang die before she save the world, so does Oh Gong, heaven need both of them so I think they will not die when saving the world. 

Another theory, the enemy is so strong so Samjang sacrifice herself to be eaten by Oh Gong so Oh Gong gonna be the most powerful in the world so he can save the world but it can't happen if we consider Oh Gong typically ego, he said he only care about Samjang not the world that Samjang live in or others person that Samjang care for.

Another theory it's SM who die to save Oh Gong but if it happen, Oh gong will be so mad and could destroy the world, so i think heaven not gonna let that happen..

*Sorry if some of those points already mention by others before

In episode 8, MW seems worry seeing SM in love with Oh Gong, anyone notice it too or it's just me who confused? 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, dvrels said:

In episode 8, MW seems worry seeing SM in love with Oh Gong, anyone notice it too or it's just me who confused? 

You are not the only one - he is playing his tricks all the time to torture him - but when he noticed that her feelings truly changed he for me looked suddenly serious. Like that was not in his plan - to hurt her for real. He is around her a lot. And he can´t harm a human.

Looks like the trick he played already is so out of his hands.

• Like 6

So I think that this could be a probable scenario 

That Samjang might be the offering to close(?)  the gates of hell, placing OG next to Sun Mi might serve two purposes, first is the obvious one is to use his powers for the better and second is to save Sun Mi from dying/being sacrificed whilst fighting the apocalypse since Oh Gong might go to any lengths to save her, so the deities might have placed him next to her thereby killing(or saving)  two birds with one stone

• Like 1

Hwayugi: Episode 8

by girlfriday

hwayugi08-00067.jpg

We get a visit from the green-eyed monster today, both literally and figuratively, and someone sticks his monkey foot in his monkey mouth. As expected, our hero does not take to jealousy very gracefully, and makes a giant mess of things. Why do I find it so endearing that he’s so terrible at love?

EPISODE 8 RECAP

hwayugi08-00023.jpg

In the past, Little Sun-mi watches enviously as the other kids play with an older boy. He flies his remote-control helicopter into someone’s yard and enters the house to retrieve it, and Sun-mi says to herself that the ajumma who lives there is scary.

As soon as the boy enters the abandoned house, he hears a baby’s laughter and something starts to creep up behind him… when Sun-mi runs in and pulls him aside.

They huddle together in a corner behind her ghost-warding umbrella, and Sun-mi clamps a hand over the boy’s mouth as a ghost mother carries her ghost baby right past them.

read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/hwayugi-episode-8/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, miles99 said:

You guys are so right there’s rarely ever a truly happy ending for a fantasy drama. It’s usually bitter sweet. Even if the couple do end up together one will stay immortal and one will stay mortal. Meaning even if they are together the human life span will end and the immortal being will continue living without the love of their life. Just like in My girlfriend is a gumiho with mi ho staying immortal daw Woong staying human and just like goblin where kim shin stayed an immortal and eun tak Will eventually die. I don’t want an immortal and mortal being together !!! Make them equals so they don’t have to live without each other please !!!

im really hate mortal-immortal ending too.

but for me mgig was perfect from my view miho become fox and fox is mortal so they can live and die together.

and if it have too be sad ending, i just hope seunggi die.

and did you know that hong sister wanted to kill miho and 20years later daewong meet 20year girl looklike miho for ending but they change it for audiance. cant they make us hwayugi a happy ending too?

maybe both of them die and go to heaven

or seunggi sacrifice himself to close the gate and die and heaven forgive him and make him mortal and he came back to SM?

• Like 1

If there's a reunion for our OTP in the last episode, hopefully there's a good kiss scene like how "My Love From Another Star" had! That kiss was HOT! It was a passionate kiss and I'm looking forward to seeing that happen with OG and SJ! 

• Like 5

I not so worry about the 'new owner' of geumganggo since its part of the story of journey to the west. There are MANY demons that want to eat samjang. There are also some that convet the power of o gong and are jealous of samjang who can order him around. While holding samjang in hostage, the demons can 'control' son o gong. for example, get powerful o gong to kill someone/thing that the demons themselve cant not. In the end, the demon gets smashed by ogong and are blown away in the form of ashes. So i'm not too worried about samjang and forward to the story, character, love development of this coming ep. 

According to chinese forum the 'new owner' is suspected to be the WHITE BONE DEMON.  Ms.white bone is the first powerful the trio encounters.

Spoiler

She failed three times trying to eat the flesh of samjang because SOG saw through her human transformation and smashed her apart every time. Baijie and shawujing (and ofc the monk) failed ms.pile of bone's shapeshifting abilities. Thus, blamed SOG for killing 3 innocent ladies, and in responds SOG flew away in dismay to their doubts and insults.

If that is true, then I'm sure this arc will take 2 eps to finish. 

My 2 cents for the ending:

SOG is an immortal so he cant die. 

SJ will die since she is a mortal. Whether its from old age, sickness, or accidents because she is a human. my guess is that she dies while attempting/succeeds in closing the gates and in turn heaven reward SJ by promoting her to become a deity. The drama starts with mortal x immortal love and ends with immortal x immortal love. Seeing how this is a hong sister drama, there's probably a gap before they reunite in the heavenly kingdom.

• Like 9

Hey Everyone...

Just finished catching up on this drama over the weekend and had some thoughts so apologies if they have already been exhausted ad infinitum...

1) I was surprised with the development of the Jin Seon Mi/Sam Jang character.  In the first episode, I got the feeling that she was a tougher adult than she has been most recently portrayed.  Not as needy, or easily tricked.  I'm a little disappointed to be honest.  It would have been interesting to have had her play a more for want of a better word "seasoned" character in that she is a bit more shrewd in her negotiations.  She is sweet, kind and what we like in our female leads yet, she is a bit clueless for a successful CEO.....just my opinion,

2) This drama has the Goblin feel...the bromance, the fantasy star crossed lovers trope.  Its fun, and I'm glad to see it back.  

3) Lee Seung-gi rockin' the haircut and crazy fur coats we all love to see at the Goodwill....Lee Hong-gi the eternal 'Jeremy" with the FT Island plug....the humor is off the charts but my fav...Cha Seung-Won....5 minutes and I'm ready to go back and watch The Greatest Love for a little more Dokko Jin!!! 

• Like 1

Props specifically made for Hwayugi including Geum Gang Go or Seon Mi’s umbrella. You can notice a 500Won coin next to OG's ear-picking version of his rod, condering that in episode 8 SM and OG both mentioned 500 Won in their lover's spat, perhaps it will play a bigger role in the upcoming episodes.

tumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo10_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo7_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo3_1280.jpg

Spoiler

tumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo9_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo8_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo2_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo4_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo5_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo1_1280.jpgtumblr_p2yvgmA66C1s8t96qo6_1280.jpg

source: naver

• Like 12

I just watched the press conference video without sub. So I didn't understand what they said. Anyone can help me to translate what they said from this clip? OYS and LSG looked so happy while explaining about something. Thank you in advance.

• Like 3

I'm trying hard not to participate in this forum too much for this drama, as it will probably be a distraction for me once I go back to school. I just wanted to enter my two cents here and see everyone else's theories lol. Anyways, since watching how the last episode ended, it seems as though someone is going to die. Oh gong might go to heaven and be separated from seon mi only to realize he can't live without her, thus becoming mortal, or seon mi will die and be brought back to life by oh gong?  hong sisters love their separation gaps and forbidden love plots, so i can see something similar to this happening. My Girlfriend is A Gumiho was like that where she went back to her realm (??), but came back a year later as a mortal person. In Master's Sun, Taeyang left Joong Won after he like died or something bc she felt he was in danger if I remember correctly. Anyways, I think this show might go somewhat like this. Hong Sisters dramas follow a similar pattern after you've seen a couple lol.