[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

48 minutes ago, VanillaSalt said:

I'm trying hard not to participate in this forum too much for this drama, as it will probably be a distraction for me once I go back to school. I just wanted to enter my two cents here and see everyone else's theories lol. Anyways, since watching how the last episode ended, it seems as though someone is going to die. Oh gong might go to heaven and be separated from seon mi only to realize he can't live without her, thus becoming mortal, or seon mi will die and be brought back to life by oh gong?  hong sisters love their separation gaps and forbidden love plots, so i can see something similar to this happening. My Girlfriend is A Gumiho was like that where she went back to her realm (??), but came back a year later as a mortal person. In Master's Sun, Taeyang left Joong Won after he like died or something bc she felt he was in danger if I remember correctly. Anyways, I think this show might go somewhat like this. Hong Sisters dramas follow a similar pattern after you've seen a couple lol. 

Well, there is some other (the list can be endless) like ...

Spoiler

... You're beautiful Go Mi Nam left for a while and appeared again .... or even not Hong Sister's drama in BOF GJP go to the States for 4-5 years, than come back to GJD,   Gu family book  where Kang Chi waited for Yeon Wool reincarnation in the recent time and they met again, so ...

it seems this pattern quite common not just at Hong Sisters, but most of the K-dramas ;-)

50 minutes ago, IliK said:

Well, there is some other (the list can be endless) like ...

Reveal hidden contents

... You're beautiful Go Mi Nam left for a while and appeared again .... or even not Hong Sister's drama in BOF GJP go to the States for 4-5 years, than come back to GJD,   Gu family book  where Kang Chi waited for Yeon Wool reincarnation in the recent time and they met again, so ...

it seems this pattern quite common not just at Hong Sisters, but most of the K-dramas ;-)

oh  i know, i mean like it's common in hong sisters dramas that involve supernatural occurrences and  in you're beautiful too. I know it's common in kdrama lol. 

Hiya, my first time here. 

Reading the theories, they are all so interesting. I can’t wait to see how the plot will pan out. It’s my first Korean drama and I am so hooked on it. 

My take is since Seon-mi is the chosen one, she will be the one that sacrifices herself to save the world. It’s her mission after all to stop apocalypse. She will cease to be SJ and become human (reincarnation?). 

Since SOG is so powerful, no way they will sacrifice him. But they need to make him even more powerful and that’s by showing him how to love. Love will unlock all his abilities. I think the GGG is only a temporary stop measure, to prevent him from actually really eating her, and to give them both time to fall in love. 

Anyways these are my two cents. I can’t wait for each week and while waiting I am “feeding” on other Korean dramas.. such as Black. 

But man, how I love Hwayugi, and esp. Lee Seung Gi! 

Edited by aprilx
Spelling errors!
  • Like 6

I am not worried about a happy ever after at all. I've watched almost all Hong Sister's drama and they never fail to give a happy ending to their stories.

1 hour ago, gutibear said:

I am curious to know whether OG sees the black bell that SM is holding, and if he does, I wonder if he knows that the bell is the death bell...

I am sure he can see it. I am curious to know if even he can hear the bell. From what the subs said,

"When the one to die, and the one that has the fate to kill the other, meet, the sound of Saryeong's ringing can be heard."

Does this mean both can hear it or can only the victim hear it? If it's only the victim then SM will die. If both of them can hear it, the show intends to confuse us about who will die.

1 hour ago, aprilx said:

Hiya, my first time here. 

Reading the theories are they are all so interesting. I can’t wait to see how the plot will pan out. It’s my first Korean drama and I am so hooked on it. 

My take is since Seon-mi is the chosen one, she will be the one that sacrifices herself to save the world. It’s her mission after all to stop apocalypse. She will cease to be SJ and become human (reincarnation?). 

Since SOG is so powerful, no way they will sacarifce him. But they need to make him even more powerful and that’s by showing him how to love. Love will unlock all his abilities. I think the GGG is only a temporary stop measure, to prevent him from actually really eating her, and to give them both time to fall in love. 

Anyways these are my two cents. I can’t wait for each week and while waiting I am “feeding” on other Korean dramas.. such as Black. 

But man, how I love Hwayugi, and esp. Lee Seung Gi! 

I agree with you. SOG is a deity and he won't be sacrificed. He's too powerful. SM is the obvious sacrifice. Her blood is literal crack to the demons. Maybe she will be sacrificed to distract the demons so the deities can close the hell's door. And SOG will be so exhausted from closing the hell's door that he won't have the strength to heal her. But since SM would have saved the world, I am sure she will be rewarded by being made a deity herself. Which would mean OTP living together forever. She coming back as a human makes no sense because that would start a vicious and sadistic cycle of her dying and reincarnating for SOG while he watches her grow old and die over and over again.

SOG coming back as a human does not make sense for the same reason. They won't demote a deity who saved the world into a human.

The only thing I can’t wrap my head around is, the fate of SJ was given to SM as punishment..  So if she accomplishes the mission, will she be rewarded or will she be just forgiven for freeing OSG? Hmm.. 

It’s only Tuesday :(

Yay subs are finally out! Thanks to the subbers!!

I felt that ep 8 had a lot more things going on than ep 7. I'm not sure why the ratings went down for ep 8 because I prefer that episode. So here are my thoughts mainly on ep 8. 

1) Ep 8 totally put in the spot of whose words I should believe. I feel like all the demons are playing with SJ to gain from her. I am not 100% sure if what MW said was true. I know his intention was to find out the real reason SJ was feeling when the geumganggo is removed. I feel like no one is telling her the whole truth about the samjang thingy and geumganggo. Here she is falling in love/ receiving love only to know that these feelings will soon disappear. 

2) Finally, SOG jealousy was at its peak when he followed SJ to the supermarket and heard her badmouthing him. The argument they had at the carpark and she using SOG words against him (500 won). You go girl! SOG needs to taste of his own medicine. 

3) SOG words at the end when he said "saranghae JSM" It sounds so sweet and sincere! That whole scene makes him realised that the one in power is SJ. But at the same time him saying all that was to make sure SJ doesn't kill him??

4) The death bell!! I really wonder who gonna kill who first. Will the kill be out of love or heartbreak?? hmm...

5) Anyone find Jonathan to be too good to be true?? I feel like there is a hidden agenda. I am not having a good feeling about this guy or I am just overthinking about his character. He is just a plain human being. Also, whenever he talks I am being reminded of Tablo! Must be the accent. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Anyway i love Mawang -Ohgong bromance in the drama but i kinda wish to see more sisterhood bonding btw

Sunmi-Zombie too.

Yeay!! I thought I was the only one thinking that way. Sometimes I wonder, why BuJa doesn't live with SM. 

And I have this feeling that SM is actually more powerful than I think she is. I mean, the fate of the human kind is depend on her and OG is there to make sure that she fulfills her fate to close the gate of hell or whatever it is. Her true power has not awaken yet, and until that time comes, she needs OG to protect her.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, gutibear said:

Yeay!! I thought I was the only one thinking that way. Sometimes I wonder, why BuJa doesn't live with SM. 

And I have this feeling that SM is actually more powerful than I think she is. I mean, the fate of the human kind is depend on her and OG is there to make sure that she fulfills her fate to close the gate of hell or whatever it is. Her true power has not awaken yet, and until that time comes, she needs OG to protect her.

This... Sunmi would be so happy since she always have an empty fridge

but maybe Oh Gong doesn't like it if there is an "intruder" in Sunmi's house .. he needs to appear on Sunmi's bed anytime he wants lmao

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Just watch the ep 8 with subs and caught a conversation btw General frost and that heaven guy.

General Frost did successfully froze Geumgango so it's really Son Oh Gong true feelings.

General frost also said that the guy purposely put the Geunganggo in order to never let the couple know each other true feelings (aka confusing them)

In conclusion, Son Oh Gong may have love her even before the Geumgango. 

• Like 9

After finished watched Episode 8 with complete English sub, I come to think that the guy who hit and run over Bu Ja is the one that would make the world crush just like how SM once saw it, it's based on what MW said "If the devil attached to human that run the country it will be a huge mess" . That guy is running for president election right? So there is a huge possibility that he is the bad guy who will make the world crush and even open the hell gate.

The scene of General Frost and So Bo Ri has conversation, make me curious, so the real purpose of GGG is not to control SOG but to make SOG and JSM not realize their true feeling, which is the great love toward each other, because the feelings can't ever be allowed to get in the way (in the way to saving the world). But in episode 9 the new owner of GGG, will make SOG realize his true feeling, i hope he will realize it.

'Ma wang milk cow style' scene was so funny, i laugh seen LSG dance to Gangnam style hahahaha

Anyway finally MW knows what is SM afraid the most when the GGG is gone.

I hope the last scene in ep 8 doesn't mean as we see it, I hope that true bad guy was there around SOG and JSM

55 minutes ago, haymochi said:

In conclusion, Son Oh Gong may have love her even before the Geumgango. 

I feel the same, because in 2nd episode, SOG was amazed by Sun Mi's will to live and he even protect her all night long. Even in the 1st episode SOG heart already shiver by knowing that Sun Mi was waiting for him desperately

Edited by dvrels
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

I have been thinking is the only reason they put that on GGG on him is to hide the real feelings he has for JSM. I have been thinking that SOG has been protecting jsm from far away this passed 25 years because once the first time they meet he recognized her right away a tease her. If he did not watch over her from far then how he can recognize grown up JSM.

So SOG has have like JSM and that man god new about and decided to put that GGG on him by using JSM since only if it is a gift from her he will use it. That’s why the reason to take her to that shop to see her future fate. Everything that going on is what that white god man has planned but JSM having that black bell was not part of his plan since what he wants is hide their fate.

• Like 7

Yes so it's def SOG wasn't betrayed by a human for love. Sunmi is his first love, he seems to be learning everything about love  for the first time

it's just sad how people/ demon/ heaven are using these two as sacrifices. Too cruel... they are playing with feelings here...,Oh Gong have already love her way before the GGG. I mean he can never hurt her anyway because of the contract they made 25 years ago..

• Like 7

Hello 2018 and my first comment on the drama thread this year - I have been reading about the drama and only watched it in 2 days of the sub version... and I like it! :)  Like LSG and wanting to watch his drama ever since his army release.

Man, the way i see him eating the ice-cream with his sharp face, by the time the drama ends, he probably need to shed some pounds.

Urgh, based on ep8 ending, I hope it wouldn't be sad ending. What is fate is fate - TVN, you better not mess the love line or else its not gonna sell after the drama ends... hahah...

• Like 1

oooh God that stills of Seunggi are very hot! now I need Gen. Frost to cool me down.. :D

Looking at the preview of ep. 9, I have so many question: who is that woman? how can the power to control GGG be transfered? will Jonathan still be around? will Sunmi find out the real meaning behind the black bell and become wary of SOG again?

but, at least we are sure now that SOG really love SJ.

will have to wait few more days! :huh:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Hwayugi has been so often compared to Goblin and people say how similar both shows are but apart from some general similarities (aired on tvN, ghosts, fantasy, male lead connected with fire element, cohabiting bromance hijinks,…) they differ in the aspects that really matter. One of the biggest differences is the character of the main lead. It’s impossible to compare Kim Shin with Oh Gong because both Goblin and the Grim Reaper were humans once and no matter what they became their “humanity” was predominant; however, can you talk about “humanity” with a character who HAS NEVER BEEN HUMAN IN THE FIRST PLACE? 

tumblr_p2tz0wyfDL1s8t96qo1_540.png

Son Oh Gong is entirely inhuman entity and therefore normal human standards of behaviour will never fully apply to him. It’s not to say he is incapable of being good but he can never get rid off what he trully is, his inherent nature. You can never disregard him as the typical kdrama mortal jerk male lead because he is not; the normal rules don’t apply by him. He is no little mermaid or one of those supernatural beings who wish to become a human either. He is a full-fledged demon, a predator by nature, a real all-powerful deity; his immense powers give him his arrogance. So when people complain that he is a jerk it’s a huge injustice to his character because he was never good to begin with, he was never pictured to be good from the start when he betrayed Seon Mi. It’s not that OG is evil, he’s been just deeply flawed and, just like the original title suggests, there is a journey before him, his personal odyssey he must undertake.

tumblr_p2tz0wyfDL1s8t96qo3_540.png

Son Oh Gong is cocksure, caprilicious, petty, utterly unpredictable, uncontrollable; he is a loose cannon with mad-dog personality and devil-may-care-attitude but when he is with Seon Mi he just might the devil who cares.

tumblr_p2tz0wyfDL1s8t96qo7_540.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

@briseis only thing is that son oh gong is not a demon. The monkey king was born from stone and gained his power through Taoist practice. He rebeled against heaven hence why he was thrown out. Being thrown out of heaven does not make him a demon. MW, PK, SM they are demons. MW is trying to reach deity status by Taoist practice. This just tells me that no matter your origin in the universe of this mythology deity status can be reach through Taoist practice. But before he rebeled monkey king must have learned the basics  and 3 treasures of Taoist practice which are compassion, frugality and humility.  He may not practice them now but to gain his power he must of practiced them and applied them to his every day living which is why I believe there is such a duality to him and why he finds seon mi so intriguing and in a way intoxicating. She is moving that old learning and instinct in him. I think he is relearning from her, also why he is fighting it tooth and nail no doubt.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1