[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

11 minutes ago, maria_m2me said:

okay Ive been afraid since I saw episode 8 preview.. When Oh Gong said that JSM has the power to kill him... Omona... Why this make me remember Goblin suddenly? The purpose of goblin's bride is to kill the goblin, if she don't do that, the death will near her. What if the purpose of samjang is to kill SOG, so she can close gate of hell...

And honestly I still try to figure out, what is the meaning of the new owner of GGG? Why it could be changed to another woman? I still try to figure out, because the one who gave to SOG was JSM and she kissed him..

Like Mawang's narration "To save that woman, Son Oh Gong burnt the whole world"

I guess Oh Gong won't let her die but samjang willl want to protect the world. Maybe he will be the one who open the gate of hell and she has no choice but to ...:confounded:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Bed scene :)

I love another bed scene between SOG and JSM.. We already got that kind of scene in episode 3, but honestly I need more sweet.. cuddle in his hug will looks better and love it so much...

Confession : I've watched this video more than 15 times since yesterday...

Okay I remember when I watched old Chinese Odyssey, they drink magical potion that made pregnant... Hhhhhmmmm, may I asked that part for SamJang? Let SOG can feel how to take care pregnant JSM, that will be sweet memories and loveable... Please, before we should meet that tragic fate, that death fate.... Please... Please... Maybe after next week we can see if that GGG effect or JSM effect will be bigger effect for SOG...

Edited by maria_m2me
added
  • Like 3
  • LOL 4

Thank you for the recap and the translations :D I always love Sunday because that means tomorrow I will have 2 dose of Lee Seung Gi from Hwayugi and Master of the house. :heart::heart: But then, I remember I have to wait for a week for new episode of Hwayugi :bawling:

So, the death bell rang when Sunmi met Ohgong.  Well, because it was an ending of episode, maybe it was just a cliffhanger for us. :tongue: maybe there was another person over there that was the true villain of the story but the writer just wanted to make us think that it was Ohgong ( I love them both! They deserved happiness with each other). 

When the bell rang, did that mean that one of them will kill the other one or one of them will die and the other will snap and kill? I have a theory that the story will be Sam Jang, to protect the world, she will take off GGG and sacrifice herself, let Ohgong eat her, so that Ohgong will have the power to save the world. Their love story will always be kinda like doomed from the start. Without the GGG, Sunmi and Ohgong relationship will be predator-prey, so, it's not shocking when their story will lead to death. But then, I think MaWang will have a bigger role in that storyline rather than just depend everything on Ohgong and Sunmi. I mean, they casted Cha Seung Won, A-class actor for Mawang's role, so he must serve bigger storyline than just there to find his love. So maybe he could help to find some lights for our couple.

Today episode was like a roller coaster ride. Love when Sunmi and Ohgong looks happy with their kiss:wub:, that bull turned to cow statue was epic, Mawang's lesson to Sunmi about SNS was funny (if they didn't pair Oh Yeon Seo with Lee Seung Gi, I definitely can see myself shipping her with Cha Seung Won :wink:), I found myself rooting for Buja more and more, I felt sad when Sunmi and Ohgong had arguments (especially if that was about that Jonathan guy! You won't win against The Great Sage), that 'confession' scene when Ohgong said to Sunmi to not let him behind really broke my heart (Lee Seung Gi is the best!), and that ending really wasn't help my heart. Oh, I almost forgot the Son Yuk Gong interrogation scene by Oh Gong hyung-nim. :D:D He got angry to Yuk Gong and wanted to throw the doll away but when Sunmi decided to keep Yuk Gong, Oh Gong reaction was gold. 'I will keep eyes on you and prepare to die' kind of reaction. Hahaha. It was just a doll, Ohgong. Don't blame it.:tongue:

Anyway, I can't wait for next episode. I think we will get their date scene from the fancam today for next episode. And about the new owner of GGG, don't you dare to break our OTP!!! 

• Like 8

Ah,anticipate the reincarnation ending(Kang Chi reloaded)...:bawling:

the ending song is soooo beautiful and sad,i believed to be Mawang's and his wife OST but i guess it works for both couples...

Doubt that Supernatural being can be the new owner of Oh Gong with Sun Mi trapped as the contract inself is very bounding and like between their two spirits...She can use him ony if he let's her in the idea of finding a way to free SunMi from the book,like if she is the only one in power to take her out rather than being a literal owner...

Like mentioned from the beginnning i kinda hinted we'll more likely get a bittersweet/sad ending and with each episode that impression is stronger,more that sure SunMi might die for the greater good and if Oh Gong doesn't die along her(being killed by her death or other sacrifice to shut the hell door) he more than sure wait and look for her till she is reincarnated no matter how much time is needed...Ah,i guess we can't really have happy endings concerning fantasy romance dramas involving a supernatual beinng and a human...And i HATE reincarnation troupes as the one reincarnated are not the same one...At least show don't let them stare at each other and FIN

• Like 3

The Power of Promise VS The Heavenly Leash

“Jin Seon Mi, as long as we’re both alive, our contract will always be valid.”

This is purely my speculation and I’m curious whether the Hong Sisters will eventually address this issue in the drama but right now Son Oh Gong is bound to Seon Mi in two ways - BY THEIR CONTRACT AND BY GGG. They both work in similar way and have similar effect so it’s difficult to tell which one is working in certain situation or whether their powers are being combined. Therefore it’s interesting to look at the difference in similar situations which involve 2 different worlds. 

tumblr_p2x6w1KB1g1s8t96qo6_540.png

First, in the case of the film world, SM did not call SOG’s name, GGG works in such a way that he would come even if she didn’t call him and was simply in danger. During that time he could enter and exit the film world because the object/entrance still existed. However, when we look at the wedding photo world situation, THE ENTRANCE/EXIT WAS DESTROYED AND HE COULDN’T LEAVE THAT WORLD EVEN THOUGH HE WAS WEARING GGG, UNLESS SEON MI CALLED HIM. So it was NOT the effect of GGG but their contract which allowed him to escape that world. That’s why he had returned her the memory of his name because he knew only the power of their contract could get him out and also SAJ had realized that OG could get out because of the contract.

tumblr_p2x6w1KB1g1s8t96qo2_540.png

Which suggests that the power of their contract (a consensual agreement, a promise) should be more powerful, even more powerful than Heaven-made magic.It’d be interesting to watch what will happen if the owner of the GGG changed (which is likely what will happen in episode 9) - will the GGG prevail over Oh Gong’s promise to protect Seon Mi? Will it win over his heart?

Another difference between GGG and their contract is that, as OG mentioned, it’s until death do them part and it can be terminated only if they both agree to do it, whereas Seon Mi can take GGG off on her own.

tumblr_p2x6w1KB1g1s8t96qo1_r1_540.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Sorry I was late logging into the forums today, then had lots of RL interruptions, but I saw that the scene you wanted was translated well already anyway by @kjesin.

Let me know if there are any other scenes you would like translated. Otherwise, I just started watching this drama, and I love the interactions between SOG and Mawang. They're object lessons in charismatic performances. :) 

Thnks..was curious abt what mawang told sunmi about ggm before the dont kill me scene

I'm fascinated with this drama. Although the idea is not that extraordinarily new, I just can't seem to get bored with it at all. I also cannot find any fault with it (unless some ppl might think it distasteful (? for whatever reason) to make a story like this out of the story of the journey to the west).

So after we thought the monkey king confessed his true feelings to SM, the summer fairy inplies that her brother's power is not enough to freeze the power of the bracelet. At the same time I had the feeling that she might have been lying, it seemed to me that she felt sorry for SM because she did not believe anything good will come out of a romance between a human and a demon and is just trying to dissuade her from falling in love to protect her, and that she was lying to do this.

Then there's the poor movie maker guy. At first I thought he might actually be perfect for SM. He's human, he's artistic, gentlemanly, rich (?), good looking (well relatively good looking) and seems to accept her connection with the supernatural and even like it. But this week I had the feeling that while he was grateful all the years to her for having saved him, he really has no idea whatsoever about the things she's been dealing with on daily basis ever since she was a little kid. The romantic way he views things is not very realistic and while I do not think he'll run at the first sign of danger I'm afraid he will have no idea how to save himself and probably just sacrifice himself unnecessarily and heroically for her should they ever get together and he become involved in one of her "situations". While the monkey king of course can be her saviour in any of those situations. 

Also it strikes me as weird (but that's probably the fault of the production team) that he keeps switching between english and korean, as if to show of that he speaks english, which is kind of embarassing. And to think that the ppl around him would realistically most probably not understand what he is saying half of the time (most korean ppl really do NOT speak the tiniest bit of english...).

Aside from that it seems that SM has really treated the lying little monkey as her hero and prince charming since day one, and also he tricked her in such a callous and childish way, she has always been waiting for him and praying that he will come for her when she was in danger. Even the movie man knows that. How sweet is that?

I'm starting to think that the monkey will soon break free from the love spell of the bracelet and realize that his love for SM is not solely connected to it. As we can see in the preview for the next episode somebody else will take hold of the bracelet (And probably SM) and he will probably NOT fall in love with that person. Although they'll probably make it unsure again to keep us guessing.

And finally I'm guessing that the story of "one of them will kill the other" or "SM will kill Woo Gong" is only half true. I'm guessing that he will probably be endangered and sacrifice himself for her on her way to fulfill her destiny. Something very dangerous and important will happen, and to make sure that she is safe and succeeds in whatever she will be doing, he will be put in danger of death. Then survive. I cannot imagine this drama having a worse ending than an open ending, it will probably have a happy ending.

On another note: little zombie is looking her eyesight, that's so sad D:

• Like 6

Imagine SunMi misunderstanding the purpose of the Black Bell and believing it's the one for fated lover or along the lines when it's for the one who will bring her death(cause of ringing being heard),what happenes if the fated lover and one of death is the same person(because we all know Oh Gong is her fated one):bawling:

Curious if in the end they will make them reunite as humans in the future,as even if they both survive something i doubt it will, still be very bitter as she will grow old right under his eyes while he will still remain as youthful and immortal as ever suffering even more when she will leave him all alone...(korean writers are usually subtile or not in their hints and like many fantasy dramas they really point to us about her fate and how if she dies he will as well because his heart will be destroyed in more than figurative)...Kinda sad our SUnMi doesn't have any special powers of her own with the Heaven's Order as Samjang to at least protect herself on her own from stronger evil monsters rather than put all on Oh Gong...

Guess that's why like i've seen till now deities keep things among themselevs and have this barrier added without associating feelings wise(for those who have them) with humans making that boundry very clear...

I'm quite curious what kind of Deity is th Grandson of the Grandma(more likely Samshin Granny)

Also 'em i the only one who thought in that scene with Oh Gong and the lil monkey toy a parody from Goblin:lol:

• Like 2

Guest norakim

I think the man who ran over BuJa with his car, isn't a human but a more powerful demon or he's currently posessed by a demon. Remember what  Hwi-chul said before he passed him by.  

I think the deities were aware that the apocalypse was coming.

With SM releasing OG from his captivity and all that transpired after was in the grand plan.

I think OG is the only one with the power to change what SM saw in her vision. If OG has the power to burn down a world, he can also save a world.

Now, it would be in OG's hands - does he destroy or does he save?

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, norakim said:

I think the man who ran over BuJa with his car, isn't a human but a more powerful demon or he's currently posessed by a demon. Remember what  Hwi-chul said before he passed him by.  

I think so

such a powerful ,greedy, and evil politician would evoked a demon that can destroy the world

he might be the biggest villain later on. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I think you mean when Mawang told Sun Mi that when she fulfills her duty as Sam Jang, then she won't be Sam Jang any more, thus Son Oh Gong won't be attracted to her either, and neither will he want to eat her since she won't be Sam Jang. If you can find me a clip, I can give you a better translation.

Hopefully, I'll be able to be more active on this thread next weed and help translate.

I think he said Oh Gong will disappear meaning going back to heaven and samjang will live as an ordinary human Sunmi

• Like 4

I doubt that the drama would have a completely happy ending for the couple, I would be the happiest if it has, but speaking from the past experience of drama watching, fantasy dramas mostly never tend to have an absolute happy ending.. They endings tend to fall between somewhere of a total sad ending to a middle ground between mortal and immortal,  something more acceptable... 

But nonetheless there's nothing wrong in wishing for an absolute happy ending.. :unsure:

• Like 5

This might be not really related to the current discussion of the death bell, GGG, etc. I just want to say that because of this drama, now I'm addicted to Lee Seung Gi's Because You are My Woman. I knew that song before but never really listen to it. Now, it's my jam! I like the original version but I love the newer version when LSG sang live in his Japan concert. More mature and smoother. Also love Henry Lau's version of that song when he sang it in Masked Singer. 

I just realized that there was no word of Saranghanikka in the song but Hwayugi writer just cleverly insert that Saranghanikka word into the lyrics that Mawang and Ohgong sang. Just clever easter egg. 

As for the rating, I hope it will increase again for the rest of the episodes. 

• Like 1