[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

OMG I hate that OYS got some harsh comments. I think she is perfect as Samjang. What can you expect from someone who has been alone for all of her life? She doesn't have friends, family, or lover, so of course she will be plain and quiet and boring person. :crazy: It will be really weird if she is a lonely person but her character is bubbly and cheerful.:crazy: I think in this drama, she portrayed a mature beauty and definitely different from her previous dramas. I like her in Come back Mister, but I love her here in Hwayugi (her chemistry with LSG are sizzling!). 

It's absurd to say that LSG doesn't like her because of the scandal. I think they wasn't interacted a lot in bfs because the bfs was painfully short and I think they had really tight schedule so they couldn't play around too much. From the press conference and the wiki interview, I think they quite close and that events were from their early stage of shooting. Is, maybe they are closer now. :D

In the last episode, when the evil BuJa had a thought to possess SunMi, I love the idea of the demon to possess SunMi for a short time. Maybe we can see more of OYS's acting capabilities as another character. Having OYS acts to seduce LSG wasn't a bad idea. :tongue:

I'm curious how the next episode will deal with OG and SM's relationship. In the original drama, yes, OG can duplicate himself so I expect that ability to shows up here. PK will definitely help SM to defeat the evil spirit because of course he wants to have original BuJa back. I don't really understand the role of the octopus prince and SOJ in this drama. SOJ is supposed to be in the main team in the original story. He is more important for the story rather than the bull demon in the Chinese drama. But here, he was only there to clean something and do nothing. So I'm curious how the writer had in mind for his character.

Also for the octopus prince, why is he sticking around in Alice's body? I mean, he doesn't have anything to do and just following PK. :blink:   

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

Those haters are probably possessed by the bad mouth demon lul 

I thought the same. After watching the episode of bad mouth demon episode every time I saw hateful comment, i think they are possess by demon hahahaha

6 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

In the last episode, when the evil BuJa had a thought to possess SunMi, I love the idea of the demon to possess SunMi for a short time. Maybe we can see more of OYS's acting capabilities as another character. Having OYS acts to seduce LSG wasn't a bad idea. :tongue:

I feel the same it wasn't a bad idea 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

I couldnt wait to watch ep12 sub yesterday, but it was too slow and had to read the recap yesterday night. just finish downloading the ep12 and while waiting was catching up on the forum here...

First thought, what was OYS scandal on WGM - not really familiar with the actress in the first place...

Second - yes, Buja... why are you so naive?

Third - SM why becoming more clueless?

Fourth - SOG - you're cute... hahhaa (watched all the butlers yesterday, apparently LSG was filming for last week's episodes when he filmed ep6 of the butlers - man, winter is no joke in South Korea :)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, haymochi said:

I'm just popping up to say that you shouldn't even bother to read comments on Koala's blog or her blog because it's basically just a low-class tabloid blog where she disses people based on what they wear or how they look and metes out her judgement on celebrities' behaviour. And people who write comments on her blog are just like her - narrow-minded and prejudiced. I remember all the awful comments she posted about Eddie Peng when he was cast as the main lead in Da Mo Yao (Sound of the Desert) just because he wasn't the one she wanted to be cast and because she didn't like the shape of his chin. And even the harshest critics and fans agreed that he was simply perfect in that role. So don't even bother to visit that blog.

On the other hand, Javabeans' and Girlfriday's comments are the ones that are relevant and objective.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

46 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Let me give some answers

#2 since her brain is rotting, that is why. 

#3 I guess since no one tell her yet. She thought that saeryong is aeryong. But later she'll find it out.

#4 ohhh!! same here I watch MITH as well!! He is so SOG here! I love LSG more and more. Lol

thanks Stargazer... yes, i read about the pun on her brain rotting from DB's recap... funny... she is making everyone exasperated with her lack of concern over her safety... yes, we know she is not technically alive, but it doesnt mean viewers do not care about her... :)

on point no.4 - yes, the butlers were all baffled when the 'master' ignored them. You can see Seung-gi's expression, - what and why did 'master' do that? And everyone's (irritated) reaction with sang yun's failure to join them on putting their faces on the snow. I wish for their sake, the show can find more famous people for them to visit, or else, they might ran out of ideas on who would be comfortable enough to let them in into their lives...

Continuing on watching ep12 - :)

• Like 3

Well in the original Journey to the West, Samjang wasn't powerful or even able to fend for himself. He was just a Human monk given the task of retrieving sutras. That was why he needed Sun Wukong's protection. 

In Hwayugi being Samjang isn't a noble calling but a punishment. And although she was somewhat special, born with the ability to see ghosts and some monsters, that was all she can do (so far). So in some sense she was like the male Samjang, defenseless against the evil beings. And she needs SOG too. 

What's different I guess is that she's a female.  If it's a dude that SOG is protecting, I won't care two hoots about SM/SJ. But as a female myself I really want to see female leads being able to hold their own and able to save the male leads back. I have to confess I'm one of those who are hoping that SJ/SM will have some other forms of special abilities that make her less defenseless, more of a worthy "half" to SOG. There is a great disparity btw SM and SOG at the moment and if not for GGG, she would have been his snack long time ago. 

If you have watched the movie Wonder Woman you would understand what I mean. In that movie Wonder Woman is the special one; she's stronger than all the men and totally capable of protecting herself. What's great about that movie is the male lead wasn't some weakling that needed saving etc. He was equally courageous. And it was the human male lead who taught WW: 

".. THAT ONLY LOVE CAN TRULY SAVE THE WORLD.." 

So in short I'm hoping to see further development for SJ/SM. Maybe she will become a "Wonder Woman" and save SOG (somehow!). That will make her even more loveable, even more precious! 

I have really been surprised by this drama so far and totally loving it because they break so many conventions. Hopefully this will last all the way till the end. 

• Like 14

I love this drama, I enjoy it more than Goblin. It’s unpredictable story and the long wait for the subs is unbearable but I still watch it every weekend. Haters are everywhere, I just ignore them and I hardly read comments on blogs. Well, sometimes I do read them for fun. Lol..their ignorance are quite funny actually. Tbh, I also have my fav and not so fav actresses/actors but I keep my personal judgment to myself. I mean, it won’t change anything right? 

This forum is enough for me, my happy place...

• Like 15

[SPOILERS] HWAYUGI E09-12 + RATING

/ 3:55 PM
201801272220582608950_20180127222117_01_1.png

Naver - heraldpop: 'Hwayugi' Lee So Yeon, took Oh Yeon Seo and become Lee Seung Gi's new owner

1. [+572, -29] Like Sam Jang and Jonathan, now we have Son Oh Gong and the bookseller

2. [+501, -37] I can't expect what will happen next in Hwayugi ㅋㅋ That's why it's so fun ㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+431, -14] Even If Jin Sun Mi is not the owner of the Geumgang, I hope his feelings are real

4. [+287, -14] ㅠㅠ No, Oh Gong comeback!!!!!!

5. [+77, -6] ㅠㅠ At the end, Sam Jang changing gave me goosebumps... ㅠㅠ Writer please let Seung Gi and Yeon Seo be happy ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

6. [+74, -4] Oh Gong is so handsome, he makes my heart flutter

Netizen Drama :))

Edited by jeijei
20-char rule
  • Like 9

Finally watched ep 12 with sub. And the way I see it, the two latest episode layed out to build the next episode. Upon their meeting ( OG, MW and SBR ) it was said that the evil priestess  

can manipulate a person's mind. Then basically, she can’t manipulate the great sage since OG is not human, but here’s the but, the scene with BJ/ASN and the CEO demon, he noticed how differ BJ eating habit, ASN rebuked him and said to him that she is left-handed. How it was possible? They’re both immortal. 

Back to OG being under spell, yes it might be possible because we saw the flower petal reflects in his eyes ( as we all knows petals is her element to do evil ) and OG admitted that the evil priestess is strong that is why he refuse to handle it at first but he thought about SM. For me, this scenario is 30% possible and 70% impossible. Because OG is the great sage, equal to heaven. They will not pin and bind him for no reason if he is not strong. right now his weakness is his love for SM and at the same time it is his strenght too.

About the presidential candidate, I’m expecting to see him controlled by the priestess,  that dude is a bad tomato after all.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Let me give some answers

#2 since her brain is rotting, that is why. 

#3 I guess since no one tell her yet. She thought that saeryong is aeryong. But later she'll find it out.

#4 ohhh!! same here I watch MITH as well!! He is so SOG here! I love LSG more and more. Lol

have you guys not watched 1n2d? he was always cheeky in a subtle nice way

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Finally i have finish watching ep11 & 12 with subs! The ending of ep11 is really heart wrenching, i felt as if there were strings of spikes around my heart just like SOG. & I like it when SOG still cares of SJ even though he was badly hurt by her, trying to protect her from any harm. They should have more couple moments together!!

About the tree demon, i dont think it is evil, in fact it helps to keep the shaman in the coffin for a thousand years but sadly it is woken by SJ blood.

Overall, I'd prefer ep11 over 12, as there's happiness, sadness, anger all combine together. Although there are funny moments in ep12 like SOG & MW bickering, but i didnt like that MW is always using SJ & SOG to help him rake up points. I also find it quite repetitive for MW to keep chancing upon the love of his life yet he cant do anything to help her.

Regarding SOG being possessed, Im not sure if he do it deliberately to make the priestess show herself or otherwise. Before that he already know that the priestess is after SJ after chatting with summer fairy, yet at Sureumdong, seems like he is asking what the priestess want on purpose. & I'm thinking if in next ep, will SJ calls out to SOG even though MW stop her?

Anyway there is one part i don't understand, the part where MW push the bad guy down the elevator. Is there any link to the story? Or just another way to get points because the bad guy is harming many innocent people? 

And i grew to like SOG a lot! He always bicker with MW but still want to tag along wherever he goes, just like a kid :D & the way he protects SJ, its enough to make me melt. :wub: And to those haters comment saying why would an adult fall in love with a monkey. Imagine you grew up in a world where everyone hates you because of your ability, and no one to protect you for the pass 30+ years. Of course your heart will melt having meet the Great Sage who protects here in every way he could!

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, candiilicious said:

Finally i have finish watching ep11 & 12 with subs! The ending of ep11 is really heart wrenching, i felt as if there were strings of spikes around my heart just like SOG. & I like it when SOG still cares of SJ even though he was badly hurt by her, trying to protect her from any harm. They should have more couple moments together!!

About the tree demon, i dont think it is evil, in fact it helps to keep the shaman in the coffin for a thousand years but sadly it is woken by SJ blood.

Overall, I'd prefer ep11 over 12, as there's happiness, sadness, anger all combine together. Although there are funny moments in ep12 like SOG & MW bickering, but i didnt like that MW is always using SJ & SOG to help him rake up points. I also find it quite repetitive for MW to keep chancing upon the love of his life yet he cant do anything to help her.

Regarding SOG being possessed, Im not sure if he do it deliberately to make the priestess show herself or otherwise. Before that he already know that the priestess is after SJ after chatting with summer fairy, yet at Sureumdong, seems like he is asking what the priestess want on purpose. & I'm thinking if in next ep, will SJ calls out to SOG even though MW stop her?

Anyway there is one part i don't understand, the part where MW push the bad guy down the elevator. Is there any link to the story? Or just another way to get points because the bad guy is harming many innocent people? 

And i grew to like SOG a lot! He always bicker with MW but still want to tag along wherever he goes, just like a kid :D & the way he protects SJ, its enough to make me melt. :wub: And to those haters comment saying why would an adult fall in love with a monkey. Imagine you grew up in a world where everyone hates you because of your ability, and no one to protect you for the pass 30+ years. Of course your heart will melt having meet the Great Sage who protects here in every way he could!

The patriarch (who's a diety) went up to heaven, so MW is his "substitute".  Hence, MW doling out divine retribution without losing any "points".  

• Like 8

I haven’t finish back reading but there’s this issue that caught my attention, what kind of chemistry are they looking, the drama doesn’t revolve with OG and SM alone. The title speaks for itself. ODYSSEY mean journey, so we should expect a different event each time. About OYS, she’s not my bias but the female lead is awesome in terms of acting, their kiss scenes is good and nice. I watched that clip in YouTube countless of times ( because I wanted to peek on LSG    :D ) and read the comments, many are excited and complaining about the angle, comments like so much of chemistry and the likes. OYS is kinda reserved in her kisses because she’s portraying the innocent SM (that is why I’m not expecting lock lips here, at least we saw lips movement. One of my fav actress in Korea is sucks in kiss scene, but in her last drama, she improved). 

Now, no platform can measure how people would like/love one drama, a blog is one people’s opinion and us, we also do have our on opinion. It is just varies.

• Like 10

Does OG have to obey SM's commands?  I don't get that. Also didn't he make a pact with her that he had to appear anyway if she called his name? Then he erased his name from her memory. But that has nothing to do with the bracelet - that is separate issue. I just thought the bracelet means he just cannot hurt her heart, and had to come to help her because he loves her so much. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, haymochi said:

Rain, Joowon, and Park Hae jin fans are really nice  to her. True..their chinese fans are really supportive of her. 

These 3 actorsalso said she is the most comfortable actress to work with

Even Janghyuk fans start to adore her after SOG. as well . They even want to create a dcgall for her. I remember she was so bubbly in every bts 

while in this drama....

i don't know why tvn never want to show her bts? I saw some comments  on Naver asking why there is never a bts/ making clips for Samjang... 

Lee Seung Gi pairing with Oh Yeon seo is actually my most favourite coupling but i really hate the hates she got from it

At least, in CITT i know that the team really appreciate her, sending her a food truck during MSG,

saying nice things about her in their instagram...but here in hwayugi she is ignored in her own drama,

no official poster with LSG, no bts, her screentime...

I also think it's weird that we never see her own bts even when there is one,

the camera is hiding her face (wedding) WHY???

I know YG want their own actor to shine but why the lead actress is ignored? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 3