[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

13 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I have to admit that when BJ/ASN slithers onto OG's lap and continues to caress his face, it made me just want to smack her off immediately from the Monkey King.

I'm not sure whether I want the possession to be real, forcing MW, SJ, et al to rescue OG, or whether I hope it's a plan that OG and MW perhaps cooked up to make ASN show her cards. Anyway, it's yet another cliffhanger that makes me anticipate the next episode.

I prefer the latter scenario. That OG and MW did set up the stage and put on a show. That  the OG that under spell is his clone., like MW did when he staged his attempted death. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

To be honest, I am not really worried about OG being possessed because I think that is just impossible. Why? well, he is SOG, The great sage equal to heaven. He is so powerful and smart. I agree with the idea that he is just putting a show. 

#that is me being positive 

• Like 16

57 minutes ago, gf sherry said:

I prefer the latter scenario. That OG and MW did set up the stage and put on a show. That  the OG that under spell is his clone., like MW did when he staged his attempted death. 

I'd second that! If the storyline developes that way, it would make (story wise) sense why Mawang's clone had been introduced at the beginning of episode 11. To Mawang, killing off a spirit like her would be a bigger advantage than cooperating with her since it's very risky (the risk of getting their cover blown up.) It would take him steps away from saving his loved one. If he was patient enough for 1000 years, he is capable of waiting for a longer time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gutibear said:

To be honest, I am not really worried about OG being possessed because I think that is just impossible. Why? well, he is SOG, The great sage equal to heaven. He is so powerful and smart. I agree with the idea that he is just putting a show. 

#that is me being positive 

I agree. However, a little bit of me is leaning towards that I want SJ to save OG (if he is possessed). OG could have been too arrogant, and didn’t consider the possibility of a woman  outsmarting him. 

The male demons take SJ a little bit to lightly for granted or think  she wont be helpful. I want them to realize, and her, that she is powerful in her own right. 

So basically I’m leaning possessed and not possessed.. 

• Like 11

I think the GGG may cut off the rose petals compulsion. Or it will be nullified when the Priestess attacks JSM and SOG will save her unconsciously. He may come to his senses then.

About Mawang and his wanting to do a contract with the Priestess to help Princess Iron Fan. Don't you guys think he is too selfish and short sighted to be a deity? He didn't even think what havoc she would wreck on the world. Are the point the only necessity to become a deity? Aren't deities supposed to be all knowing, kind, compassionate and selfless? Mawang is none of those things. He is basically using SOG and JSM to gain points for himself. Why doesn't he do the work himself and gain it? Why use SOG and JSM for it? (Rhetorical question..I know why..opportunity... so why not take it) He's taking the easy way out, will these points actually count in his favor just due to a contract?

Someone in this thread hypothesized that his wife may have become a demon and devoured children's souls to save their unborn child. But does that really excuse her or him(since he said it was due to him that she became a monster)? What makes their child special enough to sacrifice other mother's children? Did those mothers deserve to have their child die for another? Every child is special for their mother. Every mother suffers to bring a child into the world. The love a mother has for their child is the purest love. I personally think their punishment(he is suffering with her) is deserving. If it had been anyone else but children then I would have continued feeling pity for Mawang's love story but when the true reason for their suffering was revealed, my sympathy for the couple vanished into thin air.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, nrbrown said:

Well it had to happen eventually (angst time). I believe these are lessons or tests for the couple to overcome. There are a couple of more lessons, but these are the ones that stood out for me the most so far.  Lessons to learn as a couple:

1. Lesson 1: admit to your feelings. They finally admitted to their love. 

2. Lesson 2:  admit to your mistakes. I loved the kiss, but I especially liked the fact that SOG apologized! That to me was a major breakthrough. 

3. Lesson 3: Forgiveness. JSM forgave him. (Another breakthrough).

Now a future lesson. 

1. Communication. Egads SOG. I understand your need to protect, but there is such a thing as being overprotective.

Communication is key in any relationship. He should of told her about the bell,& evil BJ. JSM should have, also,  told him about the bell so he wouldn’t be filled with doubts. 

But then again it wouldn’t be a lesson to be learned, would it? (Wiggles eyebrows). 

Seriously, 22 episodes? ? Wahoo. 

And before I forget, I just realized another future lesson. 

2. Partnership: I’m not saying that everything must be equal in a relationship (too Utopian). But they must work as a team. When they fight alone things tend to go negative or downhill. Work together to solve problems. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I think SM already appreciates that. It's the reason she states that she couldn't release OG from the geumganggo, because she still needs him. It's actually the immortals OG who keeps things from SM in order to protect her. As someone already pointed out, all of the immortals really don't place much weight or importance on SM.

However, SM can still contribute to the evil spirit fighting team as more than just bait to attract the, so hopefully, the drama will show that rather than showing SM needing protection and being left clueless so much.

Btw, I think I saw someone refer to Ah Sa Nyeo as Priestess, and think that is a good English moniker for her, so I'll be referring to her as thus as well.

I keep think Ah Sa Nyeo is a fairy as in Chinese 

Fairy=Xiān Nü which sound similar to her name Sa Nyeo 

Could she possibly be a fallen fairy because I distinctively remember in one episode of Journey to the West 1996 there was a story about two snow fairies.One of the sisters? made it stop snowing to save a man and Jade Emperor found out and punished them.There souls were to become trapped in two mountains for an infinitely long periods of time.The other sister left and fell from grace due to avoiding  her punishment and became a demon.The other stayed but left after seeing the man she saved and became his wife and gave birth to her son,Er Long Shan.In end she was discovered and dragged back to the mountain and her son,Er long Shan made a deal with the emperor to do 1000 good deeds to free her.

Also many people has simply just wanted Sa Nyeo to die and get out of the otps way but am I the only one who kind of feels sorry for her.She gives off a vibe of a selfish bratty princess who is used to getting her way but throw a fit and (kills) gets angry at people when it doesn't go their way.On a note was she a human before If so  the people who sealed her were also at fault as they prevented her from passing on to the afterlife and letting go of her resentment.They could have only made it worse,and it's not true that time heals all wounds her resentment of the humankind possibly turned her into a demon whom hasn't learned to forgive in those thousand years.Demons are the figments of the negativity of humans after all or usually at least in dramas.The tree that the people were trying to cut down was also her home she had for a thousand years that she was just trying to protect.I feel like she is not entirely heartless just like how we though the bookseller wanted to kill children but she though she was saving them.If they guide her back to the right path she could be a powerful ally to the Save Our OTP Team.

Lets hope for a plot twist ahead...

• Like 5

In ep. 12, If SOG can heal wounds, can he also have the power to bring people from the dead to life? If Sumni ends up dead, he can heal her, right? Or is this just a minor healing power he has to heal scratches and wounds only? Referring to the scene OG healed SM's scratch on her hand. 

• Like 5

Just finished watching ep12 and I am really excited for next weekend's episodes. We've hit a major turning point and things are really getting ramped up now. The coming of Ah Sa Nyeo looks to be the catalyst to pull plot threads that we have seen dangling for awhile now together. Ah Sa Nyeo is a raiser of kings, capable of manipulating the souls of both living and the dead. Surely a thousand years ago, which would have been in the Goryeo period, she used her powers to not only raise but manipulate kings then too. She is attracted to power. The Monkey King and Great Sage, Equal to the Heavens, Son Oh Gong, is extremely powerful, so it makes sense that having seen him, she would want him.

And as for wanting to be Sam Jang, there should be few outside of the heavenly realm who know that Sam Jang has the fate of saving the world. Most humans, yogwe, and akgwi shouldn't know about it, right? So, Ah Sa Nyeo should be desiring Sam Jang for the power of her blood without know there is a catch to being Sam Jang.

Once Ah Sa Nyeo is thwarted in her attempt to take over Oh Gong and Sam Jang, she could have the back up of manipulating the Bull King and the human presidential candidate, Kang Dae Sung. In this way, we may see Na Cheol Nyeo's story start to have a place in the main story line as well as bring Kang Dae Sung to the attention of the OTP. Sun Mi and Oh Gong will also have the stakes raised on a personal level because Ah Sa Nyeo has Bu Ja in her thrall.

Random thoughts while watching episodes 11-12:

Naughty thought for the week:

ep11_1.png

Y’know, Oh Gong, since you don’t have a shingiru, try kissing Sun Mi while she has been drinking. Maybe you’ll get to taste both the things you like best without breaking the ban.

He's definitely not going to let fate dictate his life without a fight:

ep11_2.png"I'd need to get rid of Sam Jang first, wouldn't I?"

So, is he looking for a way to get rid of “Sam Jang” but keep “Sun Mi”?

Episode 12:

Spoiler

ep12_2.png

While I think that he does want to have the GGG removed, I think a part of him is relieved, because if she did remove it, his physical weakness would disappear, which would mean the death fate would for sure fall all on her. As long as there is a chance that it could happen to either of them -that the fate is “spread thin” rather than concentrated on one person- then maybe he has more room to save her but also possibly to circumvent it altogether.

Hmm, I get the feeling that next episode he is going to suddenly smirk and toss Ah Sa Nyeo off his lap.

ep12_3.png
On the other hand, if this is seriously happening and the “true love conquers all” development does not come into play, then maybe the writers will go with the trope of pain being a way to break someone out of an illusion/hypnosis. He does currently have pokey-looking wires wrapped around his heart.

Spoiler

ep12_1.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

It's so sad how so many people can't appreciate this drama. In my opinion, a lot of good dramas these days don't really have any deep storyline and are very shallow...but that's just my opinion. Plus, I think SM isn't that pathetic, she's quite strong for a female lead and takes a lot of charge when she is aware of the situation. I wasn't extremely into DOTS or Goblin, but I'm oddly attracted to this drama .-. I guess preferences differ .-. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Thanks for the link! Go spread your love there.  I just did! Sometimes people are not aware of the depth of the drama.. We can just share with them our thoughts! They can don't agree with us but at least we provide them with a different perspective. .. 

@Wendy Wang I agree with you that this drama is better than Dots and Goblin because the narrative just gets better with each episode.. I m always looking forward to the next episode and how things unfold...

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Anna Tan said:

@Wendy Wang I agree with you that this drama is better than Dots and Goblin because the narrative just gets better with each episode.. I m always looking forward to the next episode and how things unfold...

Yes! There's always an element of surprise and mystery that draws me in. And honestly, this is kinda unrelated but , I'm also 40% in it for Oh Yeon Seo and Lee Seung Gi's chemistry, and 10% just for Lee Seung Gi :tongue:

• Like 8