Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

Honestly, all the foreshadowing through different literature is just so sad ;-;.

They're all hinting at OG leaving SM. 

1. In Peter Pan, Peter had to leave Wendy for her to have a normal life.

2. The myth of Orpehus and Eurydice is tragic, in that Eurydice is killed and when Orpheus brings her back to the living world, he can't look back at her until they both reach the Upper World.

AKSKDJSKKSSK

But is it just me or when love stories are tragic, the romance seems more intense, as in the characters seem to love each other more than if it were a happy story?

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Just now, Wendy Wang said:

But is it just me or when love stories are tragic, the romance seems more intense, as in the characters seem to love each other more than if it were a happy story.

No, you're definitely not alone. In our culture, the legends of star crossed lovers like Leyla ile Mecun (which is the Turkish version of Romeo and Juliet 'basically') are far more popular and memorable and there is even an instrument that is also known as the companion of heartbroken people which is called 'Saz'. 

Sorry for going off topic.

Other than that, I feel like their story will leave a deep impression on us like you said. Someone here said that the show is basically peeling off more and more layers and revealing its complexity episode by episode. I couldn't agree more.

• Like 5

The undpredictableness is so real in this drama. 

Some of us guessed OG was hugging SM to protect her from the grim reaper.

Who would have thought it would be Buja's bloody corpse? :bawling:

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, haymochi said:

The undpredictableness is so real in this drama. 

Some of us guessed OG was hugging SM to protect her from the grim reaper.

Who would have thought it would be Buja's bloody corpse? :bawling:

You're totally right. I don't even complain for other drama if they give me unpredictable scenese, since I can overcome it. Increadible for Hong Sisters' Hwayugi... I felt in love with their work once agian :wub:

The Preview is alwaya misleading us. I even guess that SOG being attacked by evil spirit, but it turns out, that makes it completely shocking, SOG the one who wants to attack humans who kill Buja again :astonished:

For the latest preview, we can see that evil Buja wants to turn SOG and MW into evil. But there is also scene where MW Sec Ma walk in a room with a coffin... and it's "probably" the evil who attacks Buja. Hope MW can team up with SOG to release Buja from the evilness.. since Buja has not yet been burned :cry:

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, dubuqueen said:

No, you're definitely not alone. In our culture, the legends of star crossed lovers like Leyla ile Mecun (which is the Turkish version of Romeo and Juliet 'basically') are far more popular and memorable and there is even an instrument that is also known as the companion of heartbroken people which is called 'Saz'. 

Other than that, I feel like their story will leave a deep impression on us like you said. Someone here said that the show is basically peeling off more and more layers and revealing its complexity episode by episode. I couldn't agree more.

hahaa that was nice to know

and I said that as well hhhh

This drama is going to be the death of me...

I know I say that about every drama I watch that I like but seriously I feel like I have the geumganggo around my heart... What is this?? Oh, it must be because I love the drama. Love, love, love, the drama so much it physically hurts. I hurt when I think about the pain that I'm going to have to go through because of our star-crossed lovers. And the pain when the drama ends :(

Someone help take this geumganggo off!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dubuqueen said:

Sorry to ask it here when it's off topic but in he story you mentioned, the original characters are Arabs and the poems are in Persian from nezami .right? Or I mistook it with another story? I ask it since I'm interested in that culture .

And i also agree the more heartbreaking a love story is it will be more memorable and beautiful at the end.

Ratings

#1 Hwayugi 5.705% (nationwide), 5.702 (Seoul)

Btw for the one asking if SOG can kill SM when u remove the ggg. Its not possible bcos the one protecting SM is not ggg but their contract from 25yrs ago . 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

Ratings

Btw for the one asking if SOG can kill SM when u remove the ggg. Its not possible bcos the one protecting SM is not ggg but their contract from 25yrs ago . 

Hmm but just take off the GGG .I thought it doesn't mean anything anymore since ep 10 cos both of them willingly want to be with each other. OG himself wants SM to be his sole owner...it's more like a symbol of their love.

But now it's more dangerous than it seems. Never know that it could hurt OG if physically like that..

The promise that   Sunmi made about stabbing her heart might come into play later on. She might makes OG kill her because she can't bare hurting him.

about the rating, surprised...

cos i thought it would be quite low because two hit dramas are ending this week and Misty is doing veey well too

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Hmm but just take off the GGG .I thought it doesn't mean anything anymore since ep 10 cos both of them willingly want to be with each other. OG himself wants SM to be his sole owner...it's more like a symbol of their love.

But now it's more dangerous than it seems. Never know that it could hurt OG if physically like that..

The promise that   Sunmi made about stabbing her heart might come into play later on. She might makes OG kill her because she can't bare hurting him.

about the rating, surprised...

cos i thought it would be quite low because two hit dramas are ending this week and Misty is doing veey well too

22 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

Ratings

you need to compare the rating to last weeks episode for some reason the Saturday episodes are lower than the Sunday episode.

last week it got 5.054% and 5.539% i think tomorrow it will hit 7%+ 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wendy Wang said:

2. The myth of Orpehus and Eurydice is tragic, in that Eurydice is killed and when Orpheus brings her back to the living world, he can't look back at her until they both reach the Upper World.

AKSKDJSKKSSK

But is it just me or when love stories are tragic, the romance seems more intense, as in the characters seem to love each other more than if it were a happy story?

In a tragedy you knows it's not going to end well but the OTP will be damned If they didn't try thus go all out.

Regarding the myth I have a theory for the upcoming episodes 

Buja is the catalyst of the death of Sun-Mi or Oh-Gong...T-T

In the original myth

Lyra represents the lyre played by Orpheus, musician of the Argonauts and son of Apollo and the muse Calliope

Apollo God of the Sun=Fire=The primary powers of Oh Gong

Lyra represents the lyre played by Orpheus,

muHe fell deeply in love with the nymph Eurydice, and the two were married.sician of Oh-Gong and Sun-Mi are married even If some may disagree 

the Argonauts and son of Apollo and the muse Calliope. Apwild beasts, therocks, a Eurydice was wandering in the fields with some other nymphs when she was seen by the shepherd Aristaeus. Aristaeus was struck by her beauty and pursued her; as she fled, she was bitten by a snake in the grass and died of the serpent's poison.i

Assuming Buja is going to pursue Oh Gong she will be the shepherd who inadvertedly cause an accident that kills Oh-Gong by the hands of Sun-Mi as she can poison his heart to obey her or Abuja causes Oh-Gong to accidentally kill Sun-MiEurydice

On condition he must not look back until he had emerged from the valleys of Avernus or else the gift he had been given would be taken from him.Anxious on his journey back worryinghis wife's strength be failing and eager to see her, the lover looked behind him, and straightaway Eurydice slipped back into the depths. Orpheus stretched out his arms, straining to clasp her and be clasped; but the hapless man touched nothing but yielding air. Eurydice, dying now a second time, uttered no complaint against her husband. What was there to complain of, that she had been loved?Eurydicwandering in the fields with some other nymphs when she was seen by tSome soompiers have complained that Sun Mi and Oh gong's fate given by God is too sad but It's actually a gift.Love is a gift that can be given away but also taken back.Perhaps the minute Oh-Gong defies heaven's will the worst his love with Sun-Mi will suffer ?

According to Ovid, Orpheus was so heartbroken from having lost his love not once, but twice, that he rejected the company of women in favor of that of small boys. The women of Thrace were infuriated and, while maddened during Bacchic rites, hurled rocks at the bard. The rocks, tamed by the sound of Orpheus's lyre, at first fell harmlessly at his feet, but the shrieks of the infuriated women soon drowned out the music. The women dismembered Orpheus, throwing his lyre and his head into the river Hebrus. The Muses gathered up his limbs and buried them, and Orpheus went to the underworld to spend eternity with Eurydice

• Like 7

Just one more quick translation of a light-hearted scene, because I can't get enough of the bromance between OG and MW.  Plus, this scene is just meta joke after meta joke.

(MW watches news reports on tv of his illness, and how his fans are so sad and praying for him. OG comes in and switches it to Youn’s Kitchen which is showing Lee Seo Jin. LOL.)

OG: Found what I wanted to watch. (plops on the sofa)
MW: Hey, what’s this?
OG: You have to stop watching the news. This is on.
MW: Hey, I was watching it, so why did you turn the channel?
OG: Oh, you’ve already decided to die, so what’s the point of watching that. Your “You’ve passed”, you’ve already done it enough times. Throw it away now.
MW: Hey, didn’t you just see it? They’re all waiting for my “You’ve passed”.
OG: They won’t wait long. They’ll forget you in an instant.
MW: Ah, I think I’ve decided too easily to die. If I had known that I was receiving so much love like this…then maybe I should have tried to live a few more years.
OG: You’ve already put a news report out that there is no hope. (watches tv for a bit.
OG: Ah, shall we grab this chance, and go somewhere like that and set up a restaurant instead? What do you think of Son Restaurant?
MW: What do you mean Son Restaurant? It’s not as if you’re even going to do the cooking, so why is it Son Restaurant? It should be Woo Restaurant.
OG: That’s right. In the past, Ma Wang made all three meals for me. (me: Dying of laughter now) Since Ma Wang can cook really well, let’s make it Woo Restaurant. Woo Restaurant.
MW: Of course, it should be Woo Restaurant! (catches himself) Ay. Hey, why would I do a restaurant with you? Don’t even dream about it.
OG: Okay. I’ll go by myself as a customer.
MW: Don’t you dare come. I won’t give you any food.
OG: Why shouldn’t I go as a customer?! You have to sell another meal in order to live well! (meaning that a restaurant needs all the customers it can get)
MW: Oh! You won’t lose even one word! (meaning that OG always has to have the last word) Not one word.
Ma: Ma Wang-nim? I don’t think that you can pass away like this.
MW: Why?
Ma: Via SNS, the paparazzi are mucking President Woo’s name through the mud. Even if you go when you go, you’re going to have to set things straight before you go.
MW: Paparazzi? What is it?
OG: Oh! Ma Wang, you had a son?

This scene works on its own to show MW regretting his decision to die after seeing the outpouring of love from fans, and OG being a bit cavalier about it all. Understandably, since as immortals, they've had to "die" numerous times from the perspective of the humans who knew them. However, what makes it even funnier are the references surrounding the actors' alternate reality tv sides.

For those who don't know, Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won, and Lee Seo Jin are all alumni of PD Na Young Seok's reality tv shows: LSG did Noonas Over Flowers and New Journey to the West, CSW did Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village, and LSJ did Grandpas Over Flowers and Three Meals a Day. So, it's hilarious that LSG turns to Youn's Kitchen which is the latest of PD Na's reality based tv shows, featuring fellow alumna LSJ. Plus the references to CSW's cooking which is actually unbelievably fabulous apparently, and really looked amazing on tv.

Okay. Enough from me for now. The ending was so dark. I'm just waiting to see how it plays out in tomorrow's episodes. I'm slightly nervous that it's going to just be dark and emotional tomorrow.

• Like 12
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 7

18 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Did you get to LSG's cameo in that drama? He's hilarious in it. That's why when OG was mimicking MW with his "You Pass" catchphrase, it cracked me up so much because it reminded me of LSG's character mimicking CSW's character in Greatest Love. :) 

I did! There was a whole little bit where he was offended about someone else having a scarf just like CSW was in the first episode, then he totally mimicked him and it was adorable.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wotad said:

you need to compare the rating to last weeks episode for some reason the Saturday episodes are lower than the Sunday episode.

last week it got 5.054% and 5.539% i think tomorrow it will hit 7%+ 

Yeah the rating ofr yesterday was good. Quite surprised because two hit dramas are ending this week too.

Can't wait for tomorrow although i haven't watched ep 11 because my heart isn't ready yet but i hope this otp would go all out already cos avoiding each other still won't change their fate anyway.

just love as much as you can

• Like 6

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I can't believe how episode 11 took me from being so delighted with the romance to being so hurt for the star crossed lovers. So, a translation of one of the parts I loved so much. This is SM confessing to OG.

MW: Surely not?
SM: No, it’s not! It’s absolutely not!
OG: What do you mean it’s not? If you keep acting like this, I’m not going to do activation.
SM: What?
OG: Activation, I’m talking about. Activation.
(kisses his fingers and touches them to SM while everyone looks on in surprise and shock)
MW: What’s this?
SM: Get up! You’re going to follow Ma Wang today, and die. Get up.
OG: What? What?
SM: Get up!
OG: What is it? Ay! Ay!
MW: So, has Sam Jang ultimately become like that?

SM: Go in. Hurry up!
OG: What? What about it?
SM: You, in front of people… no, in front of all the demons, don’t act up. It’s embarrassing.
OG: Really? Okay, then I’ll only act up when it’s the two of us.
SM: Don’t act up when it’s just the two of us either.
OG: Why? Are you not confident that you won’t give in?
SM: Yes. I’m not confident. If you keep tempting me, then I’m totally going to give in.
OG: Why are you being like this so suddenly? I like it too much.
SM: I’m embarrassed. Son Oh Gong, I have totally deceived myself and fallen for you. Later, you’ll be finished, so I’ll probably be left to be miserable alone. Even though I know that, I still like you more and more. I must be crazy. The me who has come to like you, you watch out for me.
OG: Right now, here, the two of us, is this really dangerous for you?
SM: Yes. It’s dangerous. Don’t do it.
OG: Okay, since I agreed not to do anything that you tell me not to do.

After the clip is done, there is one more section in the continuation of the scene, though I didn't bother including some of the chitchat:

SM: Thank you.
OG: Then not acting up, but can I do some showing off?  

(OG shows SM his viewing tower, and then shows her the stars. OG is about to gesture to put more on display for SM, but notices the geumganggo on his wrist.)

OG: (talking to himself) Jin Seon Mi, I think I’m also deceiving myself. Even if this goes away, I think that I’ll feel the same as I do now. I’m crazy, aren’t I?

SM: What?

OG: Nothing. Just look at the stars.

So, SM flat out confesses how much she likes OG despite knowing that OG will later leave her and probably not think of her at all. And, OG himself is not sure that it's all geumganggo and not real.

So, the episode starts off so cutely like this. Well, the opening scene where OG wants to take the "activation" further and tells SM to take responsibility for getting him all activated was also pretty cute and funny. And, coming just after that kiss, I can see why the Monkey King wants more. :)

Anyway, after the cute, funny, flirty, caring start, the episode proceeds to get darker and darker until the end when I'm hurting for both SM and OG.

It's interesting that OG finds the bell, and thinks that it means that he will die since he can't hurt SM, but that MW is firmly convinced that OG will find a way to do away with SM before she can hurt him. As the patriarch had said before though, only OG knows what is truly in OG's heart.

Thank u so much for ur translation, this makes our day till 9pm bearable :heart:

SOG's heart is really unpredictable... we can only expect the best thing in the world for the couple :cry:

OhGong~SunMi ahhh... please give in, just love eachbother unconditionally...

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images/videos. Thanks.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

For those who don't know, Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won, and Lee Seo Jin are all alumni of PD Na Young Seok's reality tv shows: LSG did Noonas Over Flowers and New Journey to the West, CSW did Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village, and LSJ did Grandpas Over Flowers and Three Meals a Day. So, it's hilarious that LSG turns to Youn's Kitchen which is the latest of PD Na's reality based tv shows, featuring fellow alumna LSJ. Plus the references to CSW's cooking which is actually unbelievably fabulous apparently, and really looked amazing on tv.

It's kinda cute and sweet that OhGong watches Youn's Kitchen because SeungGi and SeoJin are best friends in real life.

I think SeungGi is showing his support and  also helping to promote more of best friend's show through this drama.

Also about mentioning of his former reality TV show "New Journey to the West" ...   it's kinda bit funny because SeungGi is SamJang in that show. :)

@stroppyse  Thank you so much for all of your updates and translations.

I appreciate them so much  and I'm truly very grateful. :)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

This got english sub. Click CC if u don't see them.

When the lyrics mention "sending my longing with a wind"....unrelated to the drama...but i imagine a scene when one whisper words of longing and fan it out with the Magic Fan....across the world to the other person....

• Like 3