[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

could understand what you mean.
But mental illness does not work like that.
The working of mental illness is not such a logical thing.

I can see this, true.

I also remember in EP13, from the KH and SH's dialogue, the writer tells us DH is sick.
What is that disease?

In my understanding, the answer to this is in Episode 6, when Dong Hoon had recently found out about YH's affair and had gotten a little sick (we see him at the pharmacy, then YH mentions he only stops drinking when he's sick). Then Ki Hoon in Ep 13 says that he's heard a lot of people who get sick from the heartache of being cheated on.

I remember in EP14 he is totally thinking about JA's leaving rather than his interview is good or not.

You're right, this is more on his mind at the Electrical Hazard scene than his interview.

I think there is no selective logic in this show.
After all, this show will keep the consistency of logic to make the audience interpret the story.

Completely agree with you. Although, I still wonder why a "Merry Christmas" display is still up in a window in one of the early scenes!

For this purpose, I even ask a counseling psychologist for this scene.

He agrees with me that DH thinks about dying at this moment.

Haha, that's great that you asked him! :)

Lee Sun-kyun is a very charming guy for me, after all.

Yes. I've been watching almost everything I have available to me of LSK movies and shows and he's such a gifted actor and a very funny guy in interviews.

You speak Chinese, right? Would you like to do us all a favor and give us some English-translation highlights from this interview of him? :lol:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV14Z4y1j7hm/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.6

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, YukawaCattle said:

But his interview may make you frustrated.
His interview does not tend to romance.
The standpoint of this interview is the same in the early press conference. 

:lol:

Maybe because it was just one month after the drama ended?

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/25/chae-dong-hyuns-assistant-manager-kim-insta-update-on-my-ahjussi/#more-1030

Perhaps they were still trying to keep things open-ended for the public.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

If he is not thinking about dying, there will be other explanations to this scene.

Suppose he is not thinking about something here.
He just looks at these telephone poles unintentionally.
Then this picture couldn't show that DH is looking at JA's neck.

He just looks at JA unintentionally.

I viewed the scenes a few more times and here’s my take.

The first few moments of DH walking heavily through that street corner was of him sulking and when he paused, he was sadly remembering his moments with JA in that location. I believe in the past before he got to know JA, he would just walk past that street and not pay attention to the details around it. This time since he’s in deep thought, he walked slowly and probably noticed the electric hazard sign for the first time.

Since his job is into safety inspections, he saw that warning sign and traced if there are other hazardous poles. I’m sure this is a habit for him.

Again, as a safety inspection person, he’d be the first to heed that warning and stay away from the danger.

So when Ji An’s call came, look where he is standing:

niSRXUj.png

LzLbpkk.png

BDNo5jQ.png

He is standing right at the very danger zone! During the first ring of his phone, he still wasn't near the danger zone. But as he now answered the 2nd ring and heard JA's voice, he unconsciously walked into the danger zone. Again, it’s in his personality to be the first to heed that safety warning and stay away, but he didn’t. Why? Because that conversation with JA so engrossed his whole being that he totally forgot about the danger warnings.

Instead of the camera just panning to the electric poles earlier, the show had to portray that DH himself glanced through them, to let us know he is aware where the danger zones are. And yet just moments later, he forgot about them.

I think that is the purpose of that whole sequence. He knew where the danger zones are, and yet stood on those areas because he was so engrossed when JA called. And since his job is into safety inspections, to ignore such safety warnings is so unlike him. 

12 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

the red one always represents intense emotion, and the blue one represents calm emotion.

Wonderful catch again on the red and blue color tones of the scenes! The way you get to find all these amazing symbols will put Stephan to shame. :blush:

20 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

The original TVN relationship chart for My Mister had a red line between Dong Hoon and Ji An, and between Do Joon Young and Yoon Hee. Then they revised it twice, finally landing on the chart on the right. In the upper left corner in the new poster, the red line meaning "affection" has also disappeared.

Thanks for posting that article! Yes I’ve read about these posters on the early part of this thread, but now the sequence of the changes were made clearer by that article. I thought there was just one revision, from having two red lines to none. I just found out from the article that there were two and the initial revision was just to remove the red line between DH and JA.

Well, we now know the love line wasn’t deleted, but was treated as a spoiler. Haha! :)

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Yes, I remember that.
So I am curious about what that disease is.

I think what Ki Hoon was thinking of was just plain heartbreak making people sick. Just like Yoon Hee felt sick after breaking up with Do Joon Young. If we're to take Yoon Hee at her word, she was prepared to divorce Dong Hoon to be with Do Joon Young. Of course, DJY tells her she would never do that...but I think she told herself she would.

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

Since his job is into safety inspections, he saw that warning sign and traced if there are other hazardous poles. I’m sure this is a habit for him.

Again, as a safety inspection person, he’d be the first to heed that warning and stay away from the danger.

So when Ji An’s call came, look where he is standing:

Interesting! You're right, in context he's a safety inspection guy, so he could be looking around to see what the danger was. The weird thing is that this is such a familiar intersection to him, walking home from Jung Hee's.

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

Because that conversation with JA so engrossed his whole being that he totally forgot about the danger warnings.

Instead of the camera just panning to the electric poles earlier, the show had to portray that DH himself glanced through them, to let us know he is aware where the danger zones are. And yet just moments later, he forgot about them.

I think that is the purpose of that whole sequence. He knew where the danger zones are, and yet stood on those areas because he was so engrossed when JA called. And since his job is into safety inspections, to ignore such safety warnings is so unlike him. 

This would mirror his emotional disposition to Ji An, too, to be in "danger" and emotionally rely on her much more than he does with his own wife...to be in it before he realizes it, like Mr Darcy. He's become completely engrossed with Ji An, period, even though as a married man he knows not to get himself in danger. But by now he and Yoon Hee have had their big confrontation, they both know they're headed toward divorce eventually, and his heart has already gone toward JA.

You and @YukawaCattle have been bringing some good insights into this scene.

3 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

This interview seems to be held during Parasite's shooting.
LSK said he was participating in another movie.

I've read that he moved from My Mister straight into Parasite, so I think you're right. He was sad to let go of MM and Park Dong Hoon, then Parasite became even bigger than anyone expected.

His wife, Jeon Hye Jin, is currently starring in a drama called Uncle. Anyone else watching it? I'm really enjoying it. He has said that she is his favorite actress (awwwww) and she's doing a great job. Oh Jung Se, the actor who plays Moon Sang Tae in It's Okay to Not Be Okay, is the other lead. They play brother and sister.

~

The Merry Christmas display is in Episode 4 at the 1:10:50 mark after DH has confronted the condo villa owner:

spacer.png

When I first watched the show I thought it took place starting in December because of this window display. But we know that in Episode 1 he and his team are out on a building inspection on January 15. Must be a function of the filming actually taking place in Nov/ Dec. But it's still weird that it's in the show.

~

When anyone wants to engage with this thought :lol:....I realized today Yu Ra is never shown in her apartment EXCEPT for in her bedroom. If she is a spokesperson for JA and Ki Hoon is a mouthpiece for DH...it's very interesting that every time she's shown at her place, she's calling KH from her bedroom or having talks with him in her bedroom.

She first shows up in Episode 5 at the 15 minute mark, and there's a brief montage of how her apartment is a mess. Then there are a couple of scenes of her poking her head out of the door, in Episode 5 and then in Episode 8 where she asks for a hug. But otherwise you don't see any more of her apartment, you only see her bedroom through the show. Very intriguing.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2022 at 11:12 PM, the_sweetroad said:

When I first watched the show I thought it took place starting in December because of this window display. But we know that in Episode 1 he and his team are out on a building inspection on January 15. Must be a function of the filming actually taking place in Nov/ Dec. But it's still weird that it's in the show.

There are some places in the world that would have certain households take down their Christmas décors only after the Chinese lunar new year, which usually falls in late Jan or early Feb. So perhaps that is also the practice in some households in Korea, a place where modern western practices have blended with traditional eastern beliefs. So the PDnim perhaps didn’t find it unusual to keep that in the background. :lol:

On 1/7/2022 at 11:12 PM, the_sweetroad said:

When anyone wants to engage with this thought :lol:....I realized today Yu Ra is never shown in her apartment EXCEPT for in her bedroom. If she is a spokesperson for JA and Ki Hoon is a mouthpiece for DH...it's very interesting that every time she's shown at her place, she's calling KH from her bedroom or having talks with him in her bedroom.

My take is that it reflects JA’s condition as well. JA has enclosed her innermost self from the world, and that is reflected in the first few episodes where Yu Ra has also locked herself up in her apartment and would only poke her head out a little to interact with the outside world. The messy bedroom scene also reflects the internal state JA was in then.

Since the bedroom represents our most private and the innermost sanctum of our lives, the scenes of YR and KH talking in the bedroom represent how JA has opened up to DH and has allowed him access to her innermost self.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• Love 1

On 1/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, YukawaCattle said:

In my opinion, yes, the standpoint of the official were open-ended for the public.
If DH also loves her and is already divorced, JA and DH will be true love, soulmate, and the best couple in the world I have ever seen.
Why is official need so ambiguous.
So sad. :dissapointed_relieved:

For me, the fact that the PDnim admitted they had to “self-censor” some scenes so as “not to cause more provocation,” makes me believe the show did intend to have a love line. Otherwise, if they intended it to be platonic from the very start, why react to the backlash and admit to self-censoring? The fact that they had to react and adjust some things meant admission of guilt, right? This is a fiction after all, so the fact that the love line did exist in the mind of the PDnim is enough for me, as he obviously planted enough clues, breadcrumbs, and symbols for viewers to uncover the end game he had in mind.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, actionscript said:

So perhaps that is also the practice in some households in Korea, a place where modern western practices have blended with traditional eastern beliefs. So the PDnim perhaps didn’t find it unusual to keep that in the background.

Ah, thanks for this. That makes sense!

10 hours ago, actionscript said:

My take is that it reflects JA’s condition as well. JA has enclosed her innermost self from the world, and that is reflected in the first few episodes where Yu Ra has also locked herself up in her apartment and would only poke her head out a little to interact with the outside world. The messy bedroom scene also reflects the internal state JA was in then.

Since the bedroom represents our most private and the innermost sanctum of our lives, the scenes of YR and KH talking in the bedroom represent how JA has opened up to DH and has allowed him access to her innermost self.

Perfect. This was the direction my thoughts were going but they never landed anywhere. This is very well articulated!

It's interesting, too, that during the time skip we get to see Ki Hoon processing his breakup with Yu Ra but we don't see Yu Ra until she shows up in the movie. This parallels seeing Dong Hoon during the time skip, when he's missing Ji An, but we don't see Ji An's perspective until right before they meet at the cafe.

8 hours ago, actionscript said:

For me, the fact that the PDnim admitted they had to “self-censor” some scenes so as “not to cause more provocation,”

I've heard this but I don't think I ever saw it for myself. Did he say this during the mid-season press conference? Or in an interview later? Can you link to the "proof" of this? I wanted to mention it recently :D but didn't know where to find it.

On 1/7/2022 at 10:29 AM, YukawaCattle said:

Oh yes! 
He is an excellent actor.
I love his acting, his voice, and his humor.
His variety show Trans-Siberian Pathfinders is also very nice.

Love it.

Did you know there is a dedicated Lee Sun Kyun thread on this forum? Here's the link so you can get there easily :lol:.

• Like 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

It's interesting, too, that during the time skip we get to see Ki Hoon processing his breakup with Yu Ra but we don't see Yu Ra until she shows up in the movie. This parallels seeing Dong Hoon during the time skip, when he's missing Ji An, but we don't see Ji An's perspective until right before they meet at the cafe.

Good points! Some other parallel elements I see in the time skip:

KH-YR breakup = JA moving to Busan

YR visiting Jung Hee’s bar = JA passing by Saman

YR = YR in movie = JA’s meta representation -- they are ready to “love more passionately,” so the ball really is on KH’s and DH’s court

KH’s action -- started to write a movie again

DH’s action -- left Saman, divorced wife

The three roadblocks for DH in pursuing JA has been his work relationship with JA, his marital status, and JA's vulnerable state. In the time skip, DH has left Saman and has divorced YH. JA has also grown into an empowered, independent woman. I've never seen a show remove all roadblocks to a possible outcome, yet didn't intend on delivering that outcome. :)

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I've heard this but I don't think I ever saw it for myself. Did he say this during the mid-season press conference? Or in an interview later? Can you link to the "proof" of this? I wanted to mention it recently :D but didn't know where to find it.

I just recalled reading it on the early part of this thread.. I googled it now and saw this article. It seemed to be the mid-season press conference.

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201804121409084994251_2

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, actionscript said:

Good points! Some other parallel elements I see in the time skip:

KH-YR breakup = JA moving to Busan

YR visiting Jung Hee’s bar = JA passing by Saman

YR = YR in movie = JA’s meta representation -- they are ready to “love more passionately,” so the ball really is on KH’s and DH’s court

KH’s action -- started to write a movie again

DH’s action -- left Saman, divorced wife

Yesss! So good! And this brings up one more parallel - Ki Hoon going to watch Yu Ra's movie (keeping tabs on her career) and Dong Hoon talking to the Chairman about Ji An and keeping tabs on her. Ki Hoon is obviously still in love with Yu Ra while watching her in the movie, too.

One non-parallel that strikes me is that while Yu Ra is embarrassed by Ki Hoon's job as a cleaner, Ji An is never embarrassed by Dong Hoon. This is unlike Team Three, who are embarrassed by and for him. She's truly a champion for the underdog, and him being a bullied underdog elicits her protective responses instead of embarrassment.

Ji An does want Dong Hoon to reach his potential, though, and go for Managing Director, and Yu Ra also wants Ki Hoon to reach his potential and get back to directing. But Ki Hoon is happy cleaning and Yu Ra doesn't want him to be content with that.

39 minutes ago, actionscript said:

The three roadblocks for DH in pursuing JA has been his work relationship with JA, his marital status, and JA's vulnerable state. In the time skip, DH has left Saman and has divorced YH. JA has also grown into an empowered, independent woman. I've never seen a show remove all roadblocks to a possible outcome, yet didn't intend on delivering that outcome. 

Yes, the way the arc is presented here just makes so much sense. Grateful for you context people!!

• Like 3

Happy 2022 to all! I hope and pray that this will turn out to be a much better year for all of us. :issohappy:

I haven’t been to this forum in ages, but my love for My Ahjussi remains and it will always be my best KDrama ever.

I hope LSK and LJE work together again in another project that’s just as good, if not much better. :)

• Like 2
  • Blob 3

Soompi Forums Awards (Poll #2): The best streaming dramas, c-dramas, daily/weekend dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now you can also vote for your favorite 2021:

• Daily/weekend dramas
  • C-dramas
  • Streaming dramas (ie dramas that only appeared on streaming sites like Netflix)

milk-and-mocha-cute.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

Thanks a lot for the translation. The question about how "there's a lot of people that want to be like Park Dong Hoon" strikes me as really interesting, because my reaction / interpretation of the show is that we should not be like him. He serves as a cautionary tale, in terms of both his marriage (the importance of communication & being aligned with your partner on what you want from life) as well as his general attitude towards life (problems with his self-sacrificial tendencies & the need to prioritize himself over others / society's expectations).

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

I have finished the translation.

Thank you so much!! 謝謝!!! Really appreciate your hard work putting it into English. (And your English is great!) I learned a lot from the interview.

The styles that look with a strong sense or handsome are not be adopted.

Hee hee. I think he and Ki Hoon still had pretty good style in the show. :lol:

Q17: When showing Dong-hoon's psychological rift, did you emphasize it?

Park Dong-hoon's burden of life and the rift in his heart, these things can be seen and felt by the audience even if I don't express them specifically.
If I show it too hard, the acting will be frivolous.
If I express it tolerantly, Dong-hoon may make the audience feel more divided, which both the director and I agree about this.
When the rifts accumulated in layers finally collapsed, the audience would be easier to feel that kind of destruction.

I'm not exactly sure what the question and answer are referring to here? What exactly is the psychological rift/ rift in his heart (or is it just everything - bribe, affair, supporting his family)? And does his breakdown in Ep 16 symbolize the "rifts accumulated in layers finally collaps[ing]"...?

Q18: It seems like performing Dong-hoon should not be easy for you. Are there any dialogues that you want to emphasize?

So after filming the "You're kind" scene, I applied for an interview with the director.
I hope the director can again explain the character Park Dong-hoon for me.
The "You're kind" scene was filmed many times. 
I even misspoke, "too small."
I also said a lot of swear words at that time.

He's so funny in interviews! I always love how open he is. :joy:

Q19: Is the "Faraway Place," which you sang in the drama, is set in the script, or is a song of your own choice?

The setting on the script said I should sing it unexpectedly but firmly.

So this song really did have a deep meaning for writernim and for the story. Interesting that he was surprised they used everything he had sung.

When reading the script, some scenes make me very stressed.
For example, the previously mentioned scene where the psychological rift finally collapsed, and the unexpected "You're kind" and "Thank You."

Do you guys think he's talking about his breakdown again?

And the "Thank you" scene...I wonder which scene he's referring to?

Q27: Why don't you put on the slippers Ji-an buys you?

Maybe Dong-hoon has a little fear of accepting her heart?
Knowing that Ji-an loves him, Dong-hoon may fear accepting such an intention.
Therefore, the following plot will also show that he said, "I'm not going to fire you," and told her, "Buy me another pair of slippers."
I think that is to draw the line to himself.
Later he will accept her affection in a different mood. Then he will put on those shoes.

This is great, both that the question was asked and that LSK answered it this way. It seems clear that Dong Hoon understood that Ji An's affection for him was real and was coming from her heart (not hero worship or a crush), and that when he puts on the slippers later it does mean DH is accepting her affection, whatever "in a different mood" means. I feel like the show is pretty clear about the journey of the slippers, but it's good to hear LSK confirm that our thoughts are going the right way.

Q28: What is the meaning of the handshake at the ending?

I felt very grateful when I saw Ji-an at the ending.
I am very grateful for how she works hard to survive in society—feeling glad and satisfied.
It seems to be like this.
Maybe is to cheer her up? Or to encourage her.
It feels like that.

:lol: LOL. Yes, Dong Hoon, the handshake is just to cheer up Ji An. That's why you're blushing like a school boy and sooo happy that she asked you to dinner.  I think we can expand LSK's answer and say that the handshake is to encourage her that he's free now, and that he loves her.

Q29: What is Dong-hoon's affection for Ji-an?

After understanding her environment and experiences, I wanted to protect her more as an adult.

This is insightful, too, in that during the show Dong Hoon really does want to protect Ji An since he's an adult and has the "traditional" resources to do so (money, a job, social standing). Ji An protects Dong Hoon in a more feral, street-smart way (getting back his wallet, confronting Yoon Hee, undermining Do Joon Young). After the time-skip, Ji An has grown into an adult herself, incorporated into society. They are now peers.

Q31: Is Dong-hoon strong or weak when he is facing temptations?

He tries not to be tempted, so he is also afraid of Ji-an's affection.
Dong-hoon is a very consistent person when facing affections.
He won't change it if he has already identified.
So is it love, compassion, or sympathy?
But it's not like that. Many things are superimposed on each other.
He is very afraid of those temptations and affections, and he is very grateful that these affections resolve in the end. 
Dong-hoon attaches great importance to the safety of people around him and strongly wants to protect his family.
If it is seen as love in a broad sense, it can, of course, be said to be love.
But it will not be of the kind of opposite sex.

At first I was also frustrated by this answer @YukawaCattle. BUT then I read it again, and the question specifically deals with how DH handles temptations, NOT the show's ending or the future. And I can agree with LSK, that during the show Dong Hoon is afraid of Ji An's affections, has identified it as a temptation, and yet shows love and sympathy toward her - "love in a broad sense" in order to protect his "family" which includes her. So I think he's right, during the majority of the show it's not love of the "opposite sex" - he is acting for Ji An's good because he wants to protect her and he has compassion for her.

However, this doesn't prevent a deeper romantic relationship from happening after both of their situations are more resolved after the time skip. I'm not exactly sure what he means by "he is very grateful that these affections resolve in the end" but I wonder if he's drawing a contrast between the end (post time-skip) and the temptation he faced from JA's affections from Ep 1 through 3/4 of Ep 16.

Again @YukawaCattle thanks for doing this!! :biubiu:

1 hour ago, Pixaiated said:

Thanks a lot for the translation. The question about how "there's a lot of people that want to be like Park Dong Hoon" strikes me as really interesting, because my reaction / interpretation of the show is that we should not be like him. He serves as a cautionary tale, in terms of both his marriage (the importance of communication & being aligned with your partner on what you want from life) as well as his general attitude towards life (problems with his self-sacrificial tendencies & the need to prioritize himself over others / society's expectations).

Great point!

And @Pixaiated so great to see you over at fangirlverdict and on Reddit, too. The way you and @actionscript present your points (logically and calmly) is an inspiration. Keep it up! When people say stuff like, "Seeing a romantic possibility between DH and JA misses the entire point of the show," or "Watch the show again and you'll see it's platonic," I get too riled up. Haha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1