[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

7 hours ago, actionscript said:

Kwang Il calls JA’s phone but was out-of-service, calls Saman and learned that she had already quit, rushes to her place then barged into her flat to find it empty (this sequence I can’t decipher)

My take is that Kwang Il wants to let Ji An know that he has the computer and all the files. I think his intentions are to return them to her. When he calls her cell phone and it's out of service, then he becomes angry that suddenly he can't reach her; he doesn't know how to find her. (Just like Dong Hoon in Ep 14! I just made the connection that the plot device of having her change her phone number prevented both KI and DH from finding her in key moments.)

So, angry and surprised that he can't reach her, he calls Saman, then drives to her place. The way the scene is shot when he's driving right past Jung Hee's place gives off a menacing vibe....so I think in this particular moment we're anxious for JA that he doesn't find her. But, really, even if he did find her, he doesn't have any claim or hold over her anymore. I guess he just misses her, like he said earlier in Ep 13 I believe.

Then KI barges into JA's place. He seems desperate to find her in his own way. But I do think his initial intention was to calmly let her know he had the computer and the files. He just doesn't like surprises, like not being able to find/ reach JA when he wants to! 

When he copies the USBs, I think this confirms that his intentions were good. I still don't know if he spontaneously thought to send them to Dong Hoon while he was on the run from the private detectives, or if that was his original intention while copying them.

I noticed at some point that KI didn't deliberately include his business card in the satchel; he just happened to sweep it in there when he swept the USB drives into the bag in a rush. Good thing he did, though - it allowed DH to know who the USBs came from. Even if they were stolen goods. :)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

My take is that Kwang Il wants to let Ji An know that he has the computer and all the files. I think his intentions are to return them to her. When he calls her cell phone and it's out of service, then he becomes angry that suddenly he can't reach her; he doesn't know how to find her. (Just like Dong Hoon in Ep 14! I just made the connection that the plot device of having her change her phone number prevented both KI and DH from finding her in key moments.)

Thanks for your very detailed explanation, it made perfect sense! You’re right, his anger came through only when he couldn’t reach JA through her phone. I was just clouded by the scene when he barged into her place, he looked like he’s again ready to beat the crap out of her! That’s how I felt on my first watch, as I was still not aware of his redemption arc in ep 16. Only after I’ve finished the entire show that I got confused by this sequence, since it fell right between KI being moved by JA’s confession about their childhood and him sending the USBs to DH in ep 16.

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I noticed at some point that KI didn't deliberately include his business card in the satchel; he just happened to sweep it in there when he swept the USB drives into the bag in a rush. Good thing he did, though - it allowed DH to know who the USBs came from. Even if they were stolen goods. :)

Oh I’m really inclined to think he did send his card on purpose. Since he could no longer find JA, I think KI did intend to send the recordings to DH, and was just interrupted abruptly by JY's men. As he stole DH’s wallet and fought with him in the past, it’s his way of saying they’re now good. Narrative-wise, it also brought closure to the two of them, punctuated by DH smiling to still being referred to as a GM.

And as many posted earlier in the thread, It was KI’s way of entrusting JA to DH’s care, in the same way halmoeni and the janitor guardian did.  Well, entrust might be the wrong word, as JA is not KI's to entrust. More of like KI approving of their special relationship. :) 

The above sequence of KI trying to find JA has sandwiched the scene in Jung Hee’s bar where JH was explaining to DH’s mom why the food prepared on her table seemed good for two people, and how JH was rushing her to leave before calling Ji An down for breakfast. She made sure the mom don’t get to meet JA. I found this scene amusing and was full of meaning despite it being very brief, and I almost forgot about it if not for reviewing KI’s scene.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, actionscript said:

Oh I’m really inclined to think he did send his card on purpose. Since he could no longer find JA, I think KI did intend to send the recordings to DH, and was just interrupted abruptly by JY's men. As he stole DH’s wallet and fought with him in the past, it’s his way of saying they’re now good. Narrative-wise, it also brought closure to the two of them, punctuated by DH smiling to still being referred to as a GM.

And as many posted earlier in the thread, It was KI’s way of entrusting JA to DH’s care, in the same way halmoeni and the janitor guardian did.  Well, entrust might be the wrong word, as JA is not KI's to entrust. More of like KI approving of their special relationship.

Hmm, good points, especially if we think of the larger picture of KI "entrusting" JA to DH. I had seen he was in such a rush that the business card just happened to go in the bag, but I think you're right - it actually makes more sense if he had it out to prepare to send it along. I love that DH has his moment of affectionately smiling when he realizes it was KI.

19 hours ago, actionscript said:

The above sequence of KI trying to find JA has sandwiched the scene in Jung Hee’s bar where JH was explaining to DH’s mom why the food prepared on her table seemed good for two people, and how JH was rushing her to leave before calling Ji An down for breakfast. She made sure the mom don’t get to meet JA. I found this scene amusing and was full of meaning despite it being very brief, and I almost forgot about it if not for reviewing KI’s scene.

It's a cute scene! My feelings, though, are that since JA stays there for a couple of weeks (or more) eventually she and PDH's mom will run into each other. Especially as JA doesn't have a job, and JH's place is a comfortable and safe place for her to be, she would have to be around when PDH's omma comes and cleans the bar. It's not like JA can wander around Hugye all day, every day, looking for PDH, especially during his work hours :). But on this first morning, JH is helping JA just have a place to recover away from other curious eyes (until the ahjussis get there in the evening :lol:).

• Like 4

@actionscript You had a puzzle, and I do, too :lol:.

It's a very small detail, but it bothers me every time I watch the show. I was wondering if you all had any insights or answers. 

At the end of Episode 15, Dong Hoon says to Ji An, "Tomorrow let's go visit your halmeoni. Then we'll go to the police station (etc.)." Then Episode 16 opens up on JA and DH visiting halmeoni. What puzzles me is that Ji An's arm brace is gone.

Here's why this puzzles me:

Presumably, the bar scene at the end of Ep 15 is only a day or two after DH has found JA at Choon Dae's shack and then brought her to the hospital. The reasons I think it's only a day or two later:
- DH told JA not to go anywhere for a few days, but to get some rest. We presume she listened to him and would have stayed at Jung Hee's place for a few days without going outside.
- When the other ahjussis come to the bar as they do every day, JA is there. If they come every day, and if she was supposed to stay at the bar for a few days without going outside, then this scene has to be only a day or two after DH found her in the shack. (Probably just one day after, really). Said a different way - it's not like she could stay inside JH's bar for days and not be seen by those who come every day.

However, Ji An's arm was so badly sprained or broken that she had a fever and could barely use it when DH found her. So you would think that she would need an arm brace for a couple weeks, or even a few weeks. (However, she must visit halmeoni before halmeoni passes away on April 10. And Do Joon Young signed the paperwork to make DH a Managing Director on March 20. DH found JA a few days after that.)

So...how could DH tell her, one or two days after she received treatment, that tomorrow they would go visit halmeoni...and the next day she was free from the arm brace? I'm no doctor, but that doesn't make sense to me. So then I think that either:

1. DH didn't say the word "tomorrow" when he told her they'd go visit halmeoni.
2. Her arm wasn't as bad off as they made it out to be.

3. The show made a mistake in continuity, moving from Ep 15 to Ep 16. Or maybe IU just didn't want to wear the brace anymore. :D

Like I said, an extremely minor detail, but my mind catches on it every time. I think she should still be wearing her arm brace when she visits halmeoni, if it's truly the next day.

That's all. :lol:

Thoughts?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

3. The show made a mistake in continuity, moving from Ep 15 to Ep 16. Or maybe IU just didn't want to wear the brace anymore. :D

Number 3, continuity issue. The production team never expected this show to have such cult following with members paying attention to every single detail. :lol:

I watched Man vs. Drama's latest analysis last night and really enjoyed the interpretation of Dong Hoon's demeanors foreshadowing his eventual breakdown. Stefan cracked me up because he seemed to want to say outright that there is love between the two miserable people, but he always held back somehow. It is very interesting that age does not seem to be an issue for him at all, certainly nothing serious like Dong Hoon's marital status. Could be a cultural take, IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Presumably, the bar scene at the end of Ep 15 is only a day or two after DH has found JA at Choon Dae's shack and then brought her to the hospital. The reasons I think it's only a day or two later:
- DH told JA not to go anywhere for a few days, but to get some rest. We presume she listened to him and would have stayed at Jung Hee's place for a few days without going outside.

Haha great catch! ^_^

I have another thought in mind. What if for a few nights, JA didn’t stay at the bar when the ahjussis are there, but instead went wandering around the neighborhood trying to catch a glimpse of DH, but made sure she wasn’t seen?

20 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I’ll add two items:

4. As stated above, JA went wandering around the neighborhood for a few nights.

5. Maybe the choco pie PPL might have something to do with that. Ji An had to unpack and tear off a piece (of course it had to be her to do this) and share with halmoeni. :D

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Number 3, continuity issue. The production team never expected this show to have such cult following with members paying attention to every single detail. :lol:

But yes I really think it’s #3. I didn’t bother scrutinizing the dates but given she got 3 beatings from KI in a span of around 2-3 weeks, I’d say she healed pretty quickly as well from those, esp. the second one in ep4 where she suffered a fractured pinky finger.

Even DH’s bruises after the fight with KI seemed to have gone through a quick disappearing act as well. I think it’s a K drama trope to have everyone possess wolverine-like healing powers. :rolleyes:

I watched Man vs. Drama's latest analysis last night and really enjoyed the interpretation of Dong Hoon's demeanors foreshadowing his eventual breakdown. Stefan cracked me up because he seemed to want to say outright that there is love between the two miserable people, but he always held back somehow. It is very interesting that age does not seem to be an issue for him at all, certainly nothing serious like Dong Hoon's marital status. Could be a cultural take, IMO.

I agree, he seemed to be a solid shipper but was holding back so as not to ruffle some feathers. And yes he did mention in previous episodes' comments that as long as one is an adult, age gaps no longer matter. 

• Like 4

And these details only come up on subsequent re-watches. Thankfully more a-ha! moments come up on re-watches, and very few continuity errors. As Stephan wrote in the comments to his latest video, mediocre dramas can't stand up to constant re-watches, but great dramas can.

33 minutes ago, actionscript said:

But yes I really think it’s #3. I didn’t bother scrutinizing the dates but given she got 3 beatings from KI in a span of around 2-3 weeks, I’d say she healed pretty quickly as well from those, esp. the second one in ep4 where she suffered a fractured pinky finger.

Even DH’s bruises after the fight with KI seemed to have gone through a quick disappearing act as well. I think it’s a K drama trope to have everyone possess wolverine-like healing powers. 

True that they did heal pretty quickly!

And I'll keep in mind the possibility that she went wandering around for the first few nights....in direct contrast to what he had told her to do....and knowing that DH goes to the bar himself and that would be the best place to see him. :D

Although, another thought....if DH told her to rest for a few days, why would he take her to see halmeoni so soon? Hmmm....anyway, I'll consider this one put to rest. Thanks, guys.

And I love that Stephan is a solid shipper. He has written, "She's 21 years old, she's not a minor!" in a comment a few videos back. Haha. Looking forward to part 3 of his Episode 16 recap to hear him clearly say what he thinks. Judging by the comments from viewers, it seems like most of them also believe DH and JA love each other, and that DH is free to love her at the end.

They also enjoy the chemistry between LSK and IU. I do wonder how PDnim knew that LSK and IU would have this kind of chemistry on-screen, or did he just have a wild guess and a lot of hope?

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

And I'll keep in mind the possibility that she went wandering around for the first few nights....in direct contrast to what he had told her to do....and knowing that DH goes to the bar himself and that would be the best place to see him. :D

Didn’t JA mention that DH never visited the bar when she was staying there? So she could really have sneaked out to wander the neighborhood at night esp. since she no longer goes to Saman. :sweatingbullets:

Looking forward to part 3 of his Episode 16 recap to hear him clearly say what he thinks. Judging by the comments from viewers, it seems like most of them also believe DH and JA love each other, and that DH is free to love her at the end.

I kind of expected most comments would be from shippers, as they are ones who would tend to linger around various sites to discuss about the show. (Exhibit A: me! :tongue:)

I recall it was mentioned in this thread when the show was airing back in 2018, there were trolls in Korean forums who would deliberately provoke both shippers and non-shippers to argue and fight.. :lol:

I’m excited for his last video as well. He did mention in the comment that ”the ending is pretty near perfect..” So I wonder what he thinks the minute imperfection is.. perhaps he’s hoping for a kiss or a hug as well?? :D

They also enjoy the chemistry between LSK and IU. I do wonder how PDnim knew that LSK and IU would have this kind of chemistry on-screen, or did he just have a wild guess and a lot of hope?

I think it's a combination of a number of things: the acting, the camera angles, cinematography, the script. I loved the way the two were framed in a number of scenes -- those restaurant scenes, in the subway, their reflections in windows and glasses, in the columbarium.. it gives out that vibe that the whole show will be about these two and nothing else.  I specially liked the scenes in the train at the end of ep 2, JA is still scheming against DH, I can't put it into words but I specially liked the chemistry in that scene! Even Ki Hoon and Yu Ra were never framed in scenes the way DH and JA were. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, actionscript said:

I think it's a combination of a number of things: the acting, the camera angles, cinematography, the script. I loved the way the two were framed in a number of scenes -- those restaurant scenes, in the subway, their reflections in windows and glasses, in the columbarium.. it gives out that vibe that the whole show will be about these two and nothing else.  I specially liked the scenes in the train at the end of ep 2, JA is still scheming against DH, I can't put it into words but I specially liked the chemistry in that scene! Even Ki Hoon and Yu Ra were never framed in scenes the way DH and JA were. 

Great points and I can see all this now, that it can be deliberately heightened and reinforced. You're right, even Ki Hoon and Yu Ra didn't get this kind of treatment. The columbarium scene was one of those that moved me upon first watch. And the scene at the beginning of Episode 9, when she's missed the train and Dong Hoon is crossing the street to come talk to her. How can they have so much chemistry when he's still across the street?

Didn’t JA mention that DH never visited the bar when she was staying there? So she could really have sneaked out to wander the neighborhood at night esp. since she no longer goes to Saman.

She did mention it, right before halmeoni died. As far as timing, though, I always thought he started avoiding her after he brought her to the police station and turned her over to Yoon Hee. This first time at Jung Hee's, I don't think he has started to avoid her yet.

So he avoids the bar before halmeoni dies, and I think after halmeoni's funeral he goes back to avoiding her. And by the time they have their final dinner, she's been wandering around Hugye trying to catch glimpses of him for a while. Which all plays into her decision to leave for Busan and give him space.

I kind of expected most comments would be from shippers, as they are ones who would tend to linger around various sites to discuss about the show. (Exhibit A: me! :tongue:)

Fun to see familiar names on the fangirlverdict's comment threads, too. :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

16 hours ago, actionscript said:

Agree that it's a combination of things. The acting is obviously great, but it's also really enabled by the amazing script and direction. The director is willing to give the script time and space to breathe, and also trusts the audience to infer what's going on in the heads of the characters, instead of relying on tools such as monologues, narration or expository dialogue. One of the things I love most about the show is how little dialogue it has, yet so much is communicated through the framing of scenes and the actions / expressions of the actors. It's a really great demonstration of 'Show, don't tell', and something that's sadly really rare (which is why it's so special!).

16 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

And the scene at the beginning of Episode 9, when she's missed the train and Dong Hoon is crossing the street to come talk to her. How can they have so much chemistry when he's still across the street?

This scene is a really great example. It's heightened by the writing. It's very, very unusual for both DH and JA to act the way they did considering their previously established characters, and it's very easy for the audience to infer how they could be feeling for them to act the way they did, and to understand the shifting dynamics between the pair.

It's also heightened by the direction, especially in how all the small details are done. In this scene in particular, the moment that really strikes me is DH stopping outside the station, looking back, and then pulling out his phone for a moment. Nothing is said, but so much is communicated. He's thinking of her. He doesn't want to go on without (walking home with) her. He wants to call or text her. At the same time, he stops himself due to his own character and situation. Of course, all of this still has to be sold to us by great acting, but stuff like this really adds to the characterization - and I love it.

Edited by Pixaiated
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

15 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

And the scene at the beginning of Episode 9, when she's missed the train and Dong Hoon is crossing the street to come talk to her. How can they have so much chemistry when he's still across the street?

2 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

This scene is a really great example. It's heightened by the writing. It's very, very unusual for both DH and JA to act the way they did considering their previously established characters, and it's very easy for the audience to infer how they could be feeling for them to act the way they did, and to understand the shifting dynamics between the pair.

Aaand the moment they meet after crossing the street.. :wub: 

G7MyN9E.png

That pic I got from the highlight pics they collate at the end of each episode.. I tried to capture the actual scene from the show and it was sooo fleeting this is the best I can do:

dyzq8B6.png

It seemed they didn’t want it to look like they lingered a bit for that stare.. It would again veer away from the subtlety they wanted to maintain, or perhaps this is one of those they “self-censored.” 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

Aaand the moment they meet after crossing the street.. :wub: 

Haha yeah, it's a great moment. It's also a moment where they both sort of realize each other's feelings, right? Him seeing her running out of the station and frantically looking around for him, and her realizing that he was waiting for her (maybe she didn't realize that his shopping trip was an excuse ... but he can't fool us!). Great that they included this frame in the highlight pics collation, which usually contain the key moments of each episode :)

Edited by Pixaiated
  • Like 4

On 12/13/2021 at 1:54 AM, the_sweetroad said:

At the end of Episode 15, Dong Hoon says to Ji An, "Tomorrow let's go visit your halmeoni. Then we'll go to the police station (etc.)." Then Episode 16 opens up on JA and DH visiting halmeoni. What puzzles me is that Ji An's arm brace is gone.

Here's why this puzzles me:

I got really curious and tried to re-watch some of the scenes around these events.. :D

I think since the brothers found out about YH’s affair, they have not been drinking as much. This scene was even before DH found JA in the shack:

fK5L9ML.png

In that bar scene at the end of ep 15, when DH got seated beside JA, he greeted her with “Long time no see.”  So he could have lied just to have everyone think he has not been seeing JA, but why would this be necessary? YH already knew about DH’s activities regarding JA the past days, so I don’t think this is necessary even if his intention is to let his brothers overhear it. On the other hand, he said it in a low voice, obviously targeting only JA for the greeting. So if that’s the case, that bar scene is not just a day or two from the shack scene.

So the next day, they could have the cast removed on the way to see halmeoni.

7 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

Haha yeah, it's a great moment. It's also a moment where they both sort of realize each other's feelings, right? Him seeing her running out of the station and frantically looking around for him, and her realizing that he was waiting for her (maybe she didn't realize that his shopping trip was an excuse ... but he can't fool us!).

Ooh you’re right.. that could perhaps be the first moment that they’ve realized the other’s feelings. DH witnessing how JA frantically looked for him, and JA of course was still rattled by the thought that “DH eating and drinking with you means he likes you.” That was the reason she missed the stop.

For a while I thought DH seeing JA put on the ear plugs and then finding out the direction of where he was, would have already given him clues about her eavesdropping. Or in his curious look he was actually wandering what the heck was on JA’s playlist?! ^_^

7 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

Great that they included this frame in the highlight pics collation, which usually contain the key moments of each episode :)

I actually took note of all the highlight pics in my re-watches. There’s one pic in ep 9 that didn’t appear in that episode, or in any episode for that matter:

pOcUu7u.png

I believe this pic, based on what she was wearing, was taken during the scene when JA was showing halmeoni that text message about her admission to a care facility (which was inserted in-between the brothers enjoying the expensive tuna at the early part of ep 9). But this exact pic wasn’t in the scene that survived the final cut.  I was thinking it was an error made by the post-production editing team. Ok I guess that’s too much dissecting already.. :lol:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, actionscript said:

I got really curious and tried to re-watch some of the scenes around these events.

Haha. Love it!

I think since the brothers found out about YH’s affair, they have not been drinking as much.

True. But the other ahjussis are still going every day. Which means that if JA is there for a few days, the other ahjussis would have to have seen her and they wouldn't have been surprised on the same night DH also visited the bar (if in fact he went days afterward)...unless JA really is wandering around at night with a broken arm in the days after DH drops her off there.

In that bar scene at the end of ep 15, when DH got seated beside JA, he greeted her with “Long time no see.”  So he could have lied just to have everyone think he has not been seeing JA, but why would this be necessary? YH already knew about DH’s activities regarding JA the past days, so I don’t think this is necessary even if his intention is to let his brothers overhear it. On the other hand, he said it in a low voice, obviously targeting only JA for the greeting. So if that’s the case, that bar scene is not just a day or two from the shack scene.

I was curious why he said that as well. I thought DH said it to throw the other ahjussis off the fact that he had just seen JA very recently. This post on GMS made me think he was putting on an act: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/ji-an-dong-hoons-secret-code/

(Scroll to the bottom, and see "1st look:")

I can handle DH waiting a few days to visit JH's bar, but then it doesn't make sense that the ahjussis would also be surprised to see her there. :lol:

But as one of the other Forum ladies said to me regarding a different show, "Chingu, don't think too much. Turn your brain off."

16 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

It's also heightened by the direction, especially in how all the small details are done. In this scene in particular, the moment that really strikes me is DH stopping outside the station, looking back, and then pulling out his phone for a moment. Nothing is said, but so much is communicated. He's thinking of her. He doesn't want to go on without (walking home with) her. He wants to call or text her. At the same time, he stops himself due to his own character and situation. Of course, all of this still has to be sold to us by great acting, but stuff like this really adds to the characterization - and I love it.

Yes, it was such a loaded scene. Thanks for the reminders of all the details. The unnecessary grocery shopping still makes me laugh. And then Jung Hee later saying, "I thought I had pineapple and melon already." :lol:

But this exact pic wasn’t in the scene that survived the final cut.  I was thinking it was an error made by the post-production editing team.

It does look like the scene with her halmeoni, just backwards, or in reverse (flipped).

Fun to do a deep dive on some of these details!

Another scene I love is this one. It's one of my favorite moments from the show. Dong Hoon and Ji An don't say anything, but DH is reflecting on what Director Jung told him about Ji An's interview, as well as remembering Ji An saying he's a good person. They're both so content to be walking together (even if they both look serious in the screengrab). Chemistry radiates. And the colors from the town and lights behind them are beautiful.

spacer.png

It's also a bittersweet scene as I believe this is the last time they walk home together on-screen. Shortly afterward, Park Dong Un texts Dong Hoon to meet him, and that same evening his brothers confront him about the affair. After that, Ji An starts running. But it's great that DH and JA have this moment after her climactic interview.

• Like 4

On 11/14/2021 at 3:26 AM, actionscript said:

Thanks! I started watching last week of August 2021, and had since watched it 3 times. Still can't get over it and had been scouting the net for more! I'm done with givemeslippers, dramabeans, ManvsDrama, and countless other youtube videos and blogs, and just when I thought I'm pretty much done, I found this forum! :love:

Btw, how do I insert a screenshot? I intended to paste the scenes I mentioned above but I can't seem to get it to work...

Use Google Photos is also a good method.

But need to combine with this website: https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/

• Like 3

4 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

The picture show in the ending of EP9 I think is meaningful,

Welcome to the thread @YukawaCattle! Great you just finished the show and look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

That's an interesting take on the shadow of the tree...I never noticed that. My first thought is that the shadow of the tree is so skinny! :lol:

• Like 4

18 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Use Google Photos is also a good method.

But need to combine with this website: https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/

Welcome to the thread @YukawaCattle! Glad you are joining us in our discussion!

I will check this out. So far I'm using Imgur as @the_sweetroad suggested and it's working out quite well. 

On 12/15/2021 at 4:28 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Another scene I love is this one. It's one of my favorite moments from the show. Dong Hoon and Ji An don't say anything, but DH is reflecting on what Director Jung told him about Ji An's interview, as well as remembering Ji An saying he's a good person. They're both so content to be walking together (even if they both look serious in the screengrab). Chemistry radiates. And the colors from the town and lights behind them are beautiful.

I love all their walking scenes but there are several unique factors in this scene:

- It was the first time they are shown walking in a relatively busy street. All the others are in empty alleys in their neighborhood

- And as JA pointed out, DH is walking slowly for the first time (but just as she pointed that out, he begins to walk faster. Ha!)

- She asked for a hug!

To borrow Pixiaited’s words, it reflected the “shifting dynamics between the pair.”

As DH was walking down the steps after turning down JA’s hug request, there was a faint sound of siren in the background.

In ep 5 after DH piggybacked halmeoni home, and as he was standing by JA’s door about to say the words “You are nice,” there was also the sound of siren in the background, this one a bit louder and stronger.

Then in ep 12 as the hugye gang walked her home, as DH and JH were walking down the stairs, right after DH said “Bye,” there is again that siren sound, but this time it was very, very soft, barely audible. But it’s there, and it can be heard as DH was walking down the steps, and then just a bit louder as the camera focused on JA’s face.

On the other hand, another scene (also in ep12) in front of that doorstep involving KI and JA, where KI uttered “Should I just go kill myself..” never had that siren sound throughout.

I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence, like there is a hospital nearby or a fire razing somewhere, or it was meant to symbolize something? Like perhaps it was meant to signify a red light in the absence of any stop lights? Or perhaps the state of JA’s heart racing like an ambulance? In the same way that electric hazard sign was meant to signify DH's state while taking that goodbye phone call from JA. :D

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Neither did I when the first time watch MM. (I have rewatched MM 3 times)

Nice to meet another avid fan here. :)

6 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

This drama is interesting for me because they use lots of straight lines to construct the picture.

Nice catch! You could be on to something here. I also noticed it but in a different way. When two people are talking, the show would either focus on a close-up shot of the face while blurring everything on the background, or if the camera would pan out to show the two people, it would enclose them in such a way that the two would be situated symmetrically at opposite ends of the frame, thus giving way for that straight line in the middle to be formed. Perhaps it somehow magnifies the loneliness and separation these characters were in.

And it may give more meaning to that handshake in the final scene, when that separation in the middle is finally broken.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, actionscript said:

As DH was walking down the steps after turning down JA’s hug request, there was a faint sound of siren in the background.

In ep 5 after DH piggybacked halmeoni home, and as he was standing by JA’s door about to say the words “You are nice,” there was also the sound of siren in the background, this one a bit louder and stronger.

Then in ep 12 as the hugye gang walked her home, as DH and JH were walking down the stairs, right after DH said “Bye,” there is again that siren sound, but this time it was very, very soft, barely audible. But it’s there, and it can be heard as DH was walking down the steps, and then just a bit louder as the camera focused on JA’s face.

On the other hand, another scene (also in ep12) in front of that doorstep involving KI and JA, where KI uttered “Should I just go kill myself..” never had that siren sound throughout.

I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence, like there is a hospital nearby or a fire razing somewhere, or it was meant to symbolize something? Like perhaps it was meant to signify a red light in the absence of any stop lights? Or perhaps the state of JA’s heart racing like an ambulance? In the same way that electric hazard sign was meant to signify DH's state while taking that goodbye phone call from JA. :D

That's really interesting. It's something that I never noticed / picked up on while watching those scenes. The one in ep 12 is especially hard to hear considering there's music overlaid.

No way to tell if it's a coincidence, but I would guess that it's not, since these sounds can and will be cut if necessary. The ep5 one is actually really interesting - it's a fairly long period of no dialogue / silence, with just the siren playing in the background. Would assume that the sound could have been removed if the director felt that it didn't match the scene (it kinda doesn't right? it's a loud, piercing sound in what should be a silent moment). Then again, maybe we are just overthinking it :sweatingbullets:

Edited by Pixaiated
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, actionscript said:

I love all their walking scenes but there are several unique factors in this scene:

- It was the first time they are shown walking in a relatively busy street. All the others are in empty alleys in their neighborhood

- And as JA pointed out, DH is walking slowly for the first time (but just as she pointed that out, he begins to walk faster. Ha!)

- She asked for a hug!

True that it's the first time they're walking with other people around. Hadn't noticed that before.

VERY interesting about the sirens.

5 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

No way to tell if it's a coincidence, but I would guess that it's not, since these sounds can and will be cut if necessary. The ep5 one is actually really interesting - it's a fairly long period of no dialogue / silence, with just the siren playing in the background. Would assume that the sound could have been removed if the director felt that it didn't match the scene (it kinda doesn't right? it's a loud, piercing sound in what should be a silent moment).

When I watched some of the bilibili videos it was interesting how loud some of the ambient noises were, and how calmly and quietly LSK and IU would have to recite their lines in order to act naturally. Especially in the bilibili video of the last handshake scene, there is so much noise happening around them as it's a busy street. So I think you're right, that they would have controlled the scenes to either include or not include things like sirens.

5 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

Then again, maybe we are just overthinking it.

We can reframe it this way - we're not overthinking it, we're just dutifully analyzing. :D

@YukawaCattle Wow, great insight about the straight lines. You're right, in some key scenes there's a barrier between the characters.

Did you guys see Stephan has posted part 3 of his Ep 16 recap?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1