Jump to content

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards


Go Seung Ji

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, actionscript said:

 

Welcome to the thread @YukawaCattle! Glad you are joining us in our discussion!

I will check this out. So far I'm using Imgur as @the_sweetroad suggested and it's working out quite well. 

 

Thank you, @actionscript.

It is nice to hear you working out well on URL. :grin:

 

9 hours ago, actionscript said:

 

I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence, like there is a hospital nearby or a fire razing somewhere, or it was meant to symbolize something? Like perhaps it was meant to signify a red light in the absence of any stop lights? Or perhaps the state of JA’s heart racing like an ambulance? In the same way that electric hazard sign was meant to signify DH's state while taking that goodbye phone call from JA. :D

 

Your idea is cool. I never notice that.
I think it is a symbol.
But we need more evidence to prove it.
Maybe we could keep this idea in mind and find it out when the next time rewatch.

 

7 hours ago, actionscript said:

Nice to meet another avid fan here. :)

 

Nice to meet you, too.
I think everybody here will agree that MM is worth us to do so.
For me, the show let me know that why drama is a type of art.
The method of how the writer and the director create DH is amazing.
DH is so quiet, but lots of evidence shows that his love for JA exists.
His love is so quiet on the surface but fierce in the shadow, it is very interesting.
Thinking about his emotion and idea always makes me fun, so when the first time finished the drama, I spend one day to inference the ending.
Another thing very interesting is that, before MM, the last series of the director KWS is Signal, a suspence.
And now we all become Park Hae-young, profilers to guess DH's mind!

 

7 hours ago, actionscript said:

 

Nice catch! You could be on to something here. I also noticed it but in a different way. When two people are talking, the show would either focus on a close-up shot of the face while blurring everything on the background, or if the camera would pan out to show the two people, it would enclose them in such a way that the two would be situated symmetrically at opposite ends of the frame, thus giving way for that straight line in the middle to be formed. Perhaps it somehow magnifies the loneliness and separation these characters were in.

 

Oh, maybe I know what's your meaning here.

Like this,

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

right?

I notice that, too.

I think it is just want to show the opposition between people until you give us this idea:

 

7 hours ago, actionscript said:

And it may give more meaning to that handshake in the final scene, when that separation in the middle is finally broken.

 

This idea really helps me "put the puzzle together".

This is really nice.

Thank you for sharing it! :thumbsup:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Did you guys see Stephan has posted part 3 of his Ep 16 recap?

 

Thank you for remind us, @the_sweetroad.

I just finish it from your link.

 

(Stephan: Don't tell me that these two people are not significant to each other.)

(Me: I won't. :lol:)

 

 

Spoiler

Hmmm...

So Stephan thought DH's crying is because of JA's leave?

I thought is because of divorce.

Or maybe it is both.

But I think maybe Stephan is right.

Maybe DH won't care about divorce with YH or not anymore.

 

Stephan's discussion let me want to share some ideas about the analysis of the ending.

 

Spoiler

The first  key to let us know whether DH decide to divorce I think is here:

 

spacer.png

 

DH: I know the most pitiful kid in the world, but she says I’m the most pitiful person ever. I lived the wrong life. I lost. 
SW: You can start winning now.
 
 
From this dialogue, we know DH has already decided something.
If we could explained this clearly, then divorce ending will be more persuasive.
 
The second key is the explain of YH's Beer: article.
 
The third key is from Signal.
Director KWS use photo to represent main actor's emotion:
 
Spoiler

spacer.png

 

I think this definitely the key because there are lots of  similar elements between Signal and My Mister:

 

1. Use telecommunications equipment to push the main story.
MM: wiretap(cell phone)
Signal: walkie-talkie

 

2. The telecommunications both connect “Park" and “Lee”.
MM: Park Dong-hoon and Lee Ji-an 
Signal: Park Hae-young and Lee Jae-han

 

3. Both main characters(Ahjussi) are not good at expressing their emotions but warm.

 

4. Both main characters(Ahjussi) go to the theater when something sad happens.

 

5. Both main actresses are capable.


6. Both main actresses are faithful to their Ahjussi.


7. Both main characters(Ahjussi) are pursued by the main actress.


8. Open ending


9. One supporting actor will have a dialogue to complain about his prostate problem.


10. Exists the main boss in the whole story and he will lose in the end.

MM: Do Joon-young
Signal: Kim Bum-joo

 

11. Funeral scene.


12. People communicate on the rooftop scene.

 

13. Main characters fighting in a parking lot scene.


14. Dark in the beginning, bright in the end.


15. Use demarcation to construct the scene:

 

spacer.png

 

16. Old song OST.

 

So I think it is persuasive to say that the photo in EP16 is showing DH doesn’t have any relation with YH.
According to these similarities, they 100% divorce in the end.
Because these similarities are just the habit of director KWS.

 

Spoiler
BTW, I think YH goes to the US is because DH and YH don't want to let JS know about their divorce.
If they divorce and do not live together anymore in Korea, JS will know it.
(He will go home in some vacation)
So YH goes to the US.
 
YH goes to the US have some benefits for her: company with JS, her sister is there, keep away from Hoo-Gye-dong, gain a degree, and don't let JS know about their divorce. 

 

 
Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote videos. Thanks!
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 10:15 AM, Pixaiated said:

No way to tell if it's a coincidence, but I would guess that it's not, since these sounds can and will be cut if necessary. The ep5 one is actually really interesting - it's a fairly long period of no dialogue / silence, with just the siren playing in the background. Would assume that the sound could have been removed if the director felt that it didn't match the scene (it kinda doesn't right? it's a loud, piercing sound in what should be a silent moment).

 

On 12/17/2021 at 3:20 PM, the_sweetroad said:

VERY interesting about the sirens.

 

When I watched some of the bilibili videos it was interesting how loud some of the ambient noises were, and how calmly and quietly LSK and IU would have to recite their lines in order to act naturally. Especially in the bilibili video of the last handshake scene, there is so much noise happening around them as it's a busy street. So I think you're right, that they would have controlled the scenes to either include or not include things like sirens.

 

Reviewing the siren scene in ep 5, I think it certainly was put there intentionally. It started just as the scene focused on JA’s face for the first time as she stepped out, and the last note stopped just right before DH started to say “You are nice.” It would be too much of a coincidence if the siren was there by accident yet was synchronized perfectly with the movements and the dialogue. I also believe the siren in all 3 scenes mentioned is all or nothing – if it was intentional in one, then it must be intentional in all. Though the one in ep 12 is really too faint that I’m sure most would have missed it. Too faint that perhaps even the musical editor didn’t notice it and overlaid music onto that scene!

 

What could it symbolize then? One common factor in all 3 scenes is that something is stirring inside Ji An emotionally due to the events that unfolded then. So it must somehow relate to the internal turmoil JA was going through, processing the kindness she has just witnessed and perhaps has never experienced before – someone helping her halmeoni for her, a gang of friends walking her home.. Even the hug refusal she understood, that It was DH refusing to take advantage of her.

 

On 12/17/2021 at 9:41 PM, YukawaCattle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hmmm...

So Stephan thought DH's crying is because of JA's leave?

I thought is because of divorce.

Or maybe it is both.

But I think maybe Stephan is right.

Maybe DH won't care about divorce with YH or not anymore.

 

Stephan's discussion let me want to share some ideas about the analysis of the ending.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

The first  key to let us know whether DH decide to divorce I think is here:

 

 

DH: I know the most pitiful kid in the world, but she says I’m the most pitiful person ever. I lived the wrong life. I lost. 
SW: You can start winning now.
 
 
From this dialogue, we know DH has already decided something.
If we could explained this clearly, then divorce ending will be more persuasive.
 
The second key is the explain of YH's Beer: article.
 
The third key is from Signal.
Director KWS use photo to represent main actor's emotion:
 
  Reveal hidden contents

 

I think this definitely the key because there are lots of  similar elements between Signal and My Mister:

 

1. Use telecommunications equipment to push the main story.
MM: wiretap(cell phone)
Signal: walkie-talkie

 

2. The telecommunications both connect “Park" and “Lee”.
MM: Park Dong-hoon and Lee Ji-an 
Signal: Park Hae-young and Lee Jae-han

 

3. Both main characters(Ahjussi) are not good at expressing their emotions but warm.

 

4. Both main characters(Ahjussi) go to the theater when something sad happens.

 

5. Both main actresses are capable.


6. Both main actresses are faithful to their Ahjussi.


7. Both main characters(Ahjussi) are pursued by the main actress.


8. Open ending


9. One supporting actor will have a dialogue to complain about his prostate problem.


10. Exists the main boss in the whole story and he will lose in the end.

MM: Do Joon-young
Signal: Kim Bum-joo

 

11. Funeral scene.


12. People communicate on the rooftop scene.

 

13. Main characters fighting in a parking lot scene.


14. Dark in the beginning, bright in the end.


15. Use demarcation to construct the scene:

 

 

16. Old song OST.

 

So I think it is persuasive to say that the photo in EP16 is showing DH doesn’t have any relation with YH.
According to these similarities, they 100% divorce in the end.
Because these similarities are just the habit of director KWS.

 

  Reveal hidden contents
BTW, I think YH goes to the US is because DH and YH don't want to let JS know about their divorce.
If they divorce and do not live together anymore in Korea, JS will know it.
(He will go home in some vacation)
So YH goes to the US.
 
YH goes to the US have some benefits for her: company with JS, her sister is there, keep away from Hoo-Gye-dong, gain a degree, and don't let JS know about their divorce. 

 

I haven’t watched Signal but I’m amazed with so many parallel elements between the two shows! It’s surprising to see how much movie-makers recycle many of their ideas through different shows. I believe Signal shared the same director with My Mister but not the writer? So it seemed to show how much a movie director had so much influence in the entire story and not just in the execution of the script.

 

Yes I think clues about the potential divorce were littered all throughout the show – DH’s discussion with the bar owner, YH’s confrontation with JY in ep 12, the desk photos, the beer and many others. That dialogue with the monk friend for me would relate more to DH’s overall struggles on living a life sentence of earnestness, and included in that is his initial contemplation of possibly enduring though a failed marriage.

 

On Ji Seok knowing about the divorce, yes usually couples would have to plan on how to break the news to their kids at the proper time. But I think JS is not new to the idea of couples separating. In omma’s birthday dinner when they had a video call with JS, JS even encouraged his uncle Sang Hoon to start seeing a new girl, not aware that his wife is there present. It’s the show subtly hinting that perhaps JS would someday be open to the idea of having a step mom.  :)

Edited by Emily Bett
Please don’t quote GIFs, thanks!
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, actionscript said:

I haven’t watched Signal but I’m amazed with so many parallel elements between the two shows! It’s surprising to see how much movie-makers recycle many of their ideas through different shows. I believe Signal shared the same director with My Mister but not the writer? So it seemed to show how much a movie director had so much influence in the entire story and not just in the execution of the script.

 

Yup it's a different writer. Yeah, this show was blessed with a really good director. A lot of the small details that we are discussing here throughout this thread is likely attributed to him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

I believe Signal shared the same director with My Mister but not the writer? So it seemed to show how much a movie director had so much influence in the entire story and not just in the execution of the script.

 

Yes, the same director but with different writers.

So I believe the photo is from director KWS's idea.

BTW, these two series are both masterpieces and "very KWS."

I think watching Signal will help us to understand My Mister more.

Recommend Signal to you! :thumbsup:

 

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

On Ji Seok knowing about the divorce, yes usually couples would have to plan on how to break the news to their kids at the proper time. But I think JS is not new to the idea of couples separating. In omma’s birthday dinner when they had a video call with JS, JS even encouraged his uncle Sang Hoon to start seeing a new girl, not aware that his wife is there present. It’s the show subtly hinting that perhaps JS would someday be open to the idea of having a step mom.  :)


Oh, I miss it.
You are right. I think JS is open-minded.
Wow, there is lots of detail in this script.
Thanks for the reminder.
One more piece of the puzzle gets. :grin:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, actionscript said:

What could it symbolize then? One common factor in all 3 scenes is that something is stirring inside Ji An emotionally due to the events that unfolded then. So it must somehow relate to the internal turmoil JA was going through, processing the kindness she has just witnessed and perhaps has never experienced before – someone helping her halmeoni for her, a gang of friends walking her home.. Even the hug refusal she understood, that It was DH refusing to take advantage of her.

 

Will need to look for this on my next re-watch for sure. Love all these new ideas!

 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, YukawaCattle said:

Like this,

 

How are you making these GIFs? I would like to learn :) Our Netflix doesn't allow screen captures, and when I try a screen recording of Viki, the video is black (even though I can take a normal screen capture of Viki, thankfully). 

 

19 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

The third key is from Signal.

 

Thanks for all of these insights from Signal. I only got through 2 episodes before I had to stop as it was too intense for me. But I enjoy seeing all the parallels with MM from your posts.

 

9 hours ago, actionscript said:

On Ji Seok knowing about the divorce, yes usually couples would have to plan on how to break the news to their kids at the proper time. But I think JS is not new to the idea of couples separating. In omma’s birthday dinner when they had a video call with JS, JS even encouraged his uncle Sang Hoon to start seeing a new girl, not aware that his wife is there present. It’s the show subtly hinting that perhaps JS would someday be open to the idea of having a step mom.

 

I feel similarly, in that I don't think Yoon Hee and Dong Hoon would hide a divorce from Ji Seok. Ji Seok lives in America after all where divorce is much more rampant and he probably has classmates who come from broken homes. And yeah, PDnim putting in the dialogue of Ji Seok telling Sang Hoon that it's OK reflects an openness there. (With the disclaimer that usually I'm not a fan of divorce!)

 

--

 

@actionscript brought these videos to my attention. It's members of the MM cast sitting down with PDnim to watch clips from the show. Even though I don't understand Korean, it was fun to see their reactions to certain scenes. (Who speaks Korean and wants to translate some of the jokes and commentary PDnim and the cast made? That would be so great! :D)

 

The first set is the cast who play characters from Hugye: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1WJ411B7vf/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.0

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

The second set of videos is with cast members who play characters from Saman: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1GJ411z7gu/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.1

 

spacer.png

 

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

:wub:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

How are you making these GIFs? I would like to learn :) Our Netflix doesn't allow screen captures, and when I try a screen recording of Viki, the video is black (even though I can take a normal screen capture of Viki, thankfully). 

 

I use mac to do screenshots and combine them with PhotoScape X.
(⬆️  Collects lots of png to make gif)
I hope this idea may help. :grin:


PhotoScape X: http://x.photoscape.org/

 

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

Thanks for all of these insights from Signal. I only got through 2 episodes before I had to stop as it was too intense for me. But I enjoy seeing all the parallels with MM from your posts.

 

Oh, yes, it is intense for me, too.
So I play Tetris when watching some terrible scene, hahaha.
This series makes me scared, but I think director KWS always spread positive things to his audience in the end,

so I continued watching.

Interestingly, one of Signal's main characters Park Hae-young has a dialogue:

 

Spoiler

"Some people might be monsters from birth, but some turn that way because of human.

If...if anybody reached out to him...

Kim Jin-woo, and the deceased victims could have been saved. "

(Kim Jin-woo is a murderer)


And in My Mister, DH reached out to JA.
We can always see that KWS's thought is consistent in these two series.
It is fascinating.

(Maybe next time, you can try Tetris to help you watch it.  :lol:)

 

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

I feel similarly, in that I don't think Yoon Hee and Dong Hoon would hide a divorce from Ji Seok. Ji Seok lives in America after all where divorce is much more rampant and he probably has classmates who come from broken homes. And yeah, PDnim putting in the dialogue of Ji Seok telling Sang Hoon that it's OK reflects an openness there.

(With the disclaimer that usually I'm not a fan of divorce!)

 

Yes, I think you and @actionscript are right.

This sounds more healthy and positive.

JS is good. :thumbsup:

 

-

 

Wow, I love the pictures you post!
DH and JA are so cute!

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, the_sweetroad said:

- Previously on this thread, someone mentioned Ji An and the red cross, the juxtaposition of the two symbolizing how she saves DH during their time together. After reading that here, I noticed two other times where the cross is shown.

 

In Episode 8 when they're walking home together, JA pauses right underneath the cross, reinforcing her relationship to it:

 

  Hide contents

 

 

And in Episode 13, when JA stands outside her door before running away, the camera focuses in on the cross and then blurs it out as it pans to JA:

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

 

DH doesn't know it yet, but she's leaving his side, and I think the blurring of the cross (and JA) foreshadow the bewilderment and disorientation that DH is about to go through. :(

 

 

If the cross is a symbol of JA, then maybe the moon is a symbol of halmuhni.

 

-

(1) In EP5, DH sits on the long bench and watches the night sky.
Then a red cross and the moon show up simultaneously in that scene.
Then JA and halmuhni show up.

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

-

(2) When JA brings halmuhni to see the moon, the relative position of JA, halmuhni, the moon, and the red cross is:

 

         moon         red cross

halmuhni            JA

 

Like this:

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

In the final of this scene, JA almost overlap the red cross.
So I think the red cross is a symbol of JA is right.

(So the moon is a symbol of halmuhni maybe is true.)
Interesting, there is a tree behind them.
Is it occationally?

I mean:

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 


 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Combined these things and recall the ending of EP9:

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 


Maybe the tree is a symbol of DH......?

 

 

 

 

Edited by Emily Bett
Please don’t quote pictures, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

This makes me curious about whether JS will fall in love with JA.
We all know the proverb "like father, like son..." :lol:

 

Well, JS having grown up in the US, I’m thinking he’ll go after someone that looks like Taylor Swift and not someone like IU. He probably has Shake It Off and Love Story in his Spotify playlist instead of Palette and Blueming. So I won’t worry about that happening. :tounge_wink:

 

22 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

The first set is the cast who play characters from Hugye: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1WJ411B7vf/?spm_id_from=333.788.recommend_more_video.0

 

First thing I’ve noticed in the Hugye series is that everyone was having Starbucks coffee except for IU. Not sure if her being a Maxim’s coffee endorser at that time got something to do with it.

 

And then my imagination ran wild.. What if perhaps the reason they couldn’t show IU’s face inside that coffee shop was due to the same reason? (Recall that the show itself had Maxims PPL in like at least 4-5 scenes?) And that prompted the PDnim to just have the entire time-skip sequence of JA shot from the back? The moment she saw DH can already be considered as not inside the confines of the coffee shop so that’s the first time they show her face?

 

I myself don’t think so but anyways, it just crossed my mind after seeing that Hugye reaction video. :sweatingbullets:

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

If the cross is a symbol of JA, then maybe the moon is a symbol of halmuhni.

 

-

(1) In EP5, DH sits on the long bench and watches the night sky.
Then a red cross and the moon show up simultaneously in that scene.
Then JA and halmuhni show up.

 

I think in IU's own words the moon represents Dong Hoon: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/27/dear-moon-performed-by-iu-ius-inspiration-fan-thoughts/#more-1309

 

But I see that halmeoni is in many of the moon shots in the show, and she loves seeing it.

 

You might be on to something with the tree symbol! Will have to look for that next time.

 

4 hours ago, actionscript said:

And then my imagination ran wild.. What if perhaps the reason they couldn’t show IU’s face inside that coffee shop was due to the same reason? (Recall that the show itself had Maxims PPL in like at least 4-5 scenes?) And that prompted the PDnim to just have the entire time-skip sequence of JA shot from the back? The moment she saw DH can already be considered as not inside the confines of the coffee shop so that’s the first time they show her face?

 

:lol: You are getting very meta, chingu!! Hahaha. Like you, I don't think so either; I think PDnim wanted us to see Ji An's face from Dong Hoon's point of view after the time skip. Otherwise they would've shown her face in the prior scenes in her new office, with her new friends, and in the sign language class. I just love the moment we first see her, though - her eyes as she looks at Dong Hoon!

 

Can we talk about the coffee for a moment? In the office when she's having coffee, do you guys think she wasn't able to afford lunch so she has to drink it in the office for her meal? I know that when she's in her little apartment, having coffee means she's barely eating anything. But I was curious about the office scene (particularly in Ep 11) when she's making it and Dong Hoon is staring at her. Do we think she went all day at the office every day without eating anything?

 

(And hello D.C. if you're reading this! :) We'd love to have you join us! Would love to hear your thoughts on the show since you've watched the show many times as well.)

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

 

There's an interpretation that Dear Moon is JA's love song to DH which I really liked - https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/29/dear-moon-ji-ans-love-song-to-dong-hoon/

 

The lyrics of the song are beautiful when you consider that - IU did a great job with the lyrics here.

 

3 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Can we talk about the coffee for a moment? In the office when she's having coffee, do you guys think she wasn't able to afford lunch so she has to drink it in the office for her meal? I know that when she's in her little apartment, having coffee means she's barely eating anything. But I was curious about the office scene (particularly in Ep 11) when she's making it and Dong Hoon is staring at her. Do we think she went all day at the office every day without eating anything?

 

If this is specifically in ep11, I would guess that she's eating better at this point since there's much less financial strain (debts paid off, grandma safe), so probably not.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Pixaiated said:

If this is specifically in ep11, I would guess that she's eating better at this point since there's much less financial strain (debts paid off, grandma safe), so probably not.

 

Good point. You're right - by this point she would have more usable income.

 

14 minutes ago, Pixaiated said:

There's an interpretation that Dear Moon is JA's love song to DH which I really liked - https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/29/dear-moon-ji-ans-love-song-to-dong-hoon/

 

I really like these two parts:

 

From @chickfactor: "Second part, she is saying that the moon (DH) seems too bright because she is such a dark night. At first, I think she was very down on herself and didn’t feel worthy to have real relationships with people, so she probably felt like she was too “dark,” and that he seems too “bright” in comparison.

 

So I agree, that does seem like she is talking to DH – that he seemed too big and bright for her to have. So she tried to turn away from him, and he was always there."

 

This is so insightful, that Ji An probably didn't feel she deserved to receive kindness and friendship from Dong Hoon. He had a family, a good job, and friends; why would he pay her any attention? Yet he did. Beautiful imagery.

 

 

And from @sadiesmith: "3. Grandma finally gets to see her moon in the sky, but do you think she is actually thinking about the moon?  No, she is thinking of the person she just met, the one who would later become grand daughter’s “light” and salvation, Ji An’s own moon.  So in the end, grandma does get to see the moon alright, but from that point on it’s the other moon she sees that would hold a special place in her heart."

 

This reminds me of Ep 12, where Dong Hoon has just had his confrontation with Yoon Hee, and he sees Ji An on the sidewalk outside the van. He's thinking about Yoon Hee's words, but he can't help being drawn to JA. Halmeoni can't help but be drawn to Dong Hoon.

 

(Funny to quote a GMS blog post that's quoting posts from this thread. :lol: But I probably wouldn't be able to find the original posts in this thread.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

 

I think in IU's own words the moon represents Dong Hoon: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/27/dear-moon-performed-by-iu-ius-inspiration-fan-thoughts/#more-1309

 

But I see that halmeoni is in many of the moon shots in the show, and she loves seeing it.

 

You might be on to something with the tree symbol! Will have to look for that next time.

 

 

It is interesting that from the following picture, we will have an inference that the relative position of JA, halmeoni, the moon, and the red cross again is

 

        moon     red cross

halmeoni         JA

 

spacer.png

 


But, I see.
If IU writes the OST, then it is the answer.
Every OST has its meaning to this drama, after all.

You are right.

Thank you for the reference!

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/20/2021 at 2:28 AM, the_sweetroad said:

Good point. You're right - by this point she would have more usable income.

 

In ep 8 when JA went to confront Gwang Il to retrieve DH’s wallet, she gave us an indication of her income: 1.1M salary a month from Saman, then she pays 1.2M a month to Gwang Il. So I wonder how she covers for the 100k shortfall. She also washes dishes 2-3 hours a night to pay for rent. So after her debt is cleared, that’s a good amount that she now gets to keep herself.

 

So thanks to Joon Young, not only is he the “master of the ship,” it was his money that paid off all of JA’s debt. We shouldn’t really be hating him, no?

Imagine if not for his 10M advance to JA to date DH, DH might have paid it on JA’s behalf, though that would be in 1M monthly installment, the same terms she offered JA back in ep 3.

And should DH pay a portion of it, the more he would feel it inappropriate to pursue a relationship with JA..

Joon Young is in every sense indeed the “master of the ship!” Now the more I look at it, he’s slowly turning into a hero in my eyes. :tongue:

 

 

@YukawaCattleI like you signature. I think there are two versions of that teaser clip:

 

CJ0Wh0J.jpg

Q0fglLm.jpg

 

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the first clip was the starting point of the story: JA is alone and not eating quite as well.

The second clip is the end game: JA is now part of the family, and dressed much better as well. Everyone seems a lot happier now, and the way DH is relaxing his elbow on JA’s seat, they seem to already be in a relationship. So did they just show us a glimpse of life post time skip through that teaser clip??

  • Like 2
  • Blob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, actionscript said:

And should DH pay a portion of it, the more he would feel it inappropriate to pursue a relationship with JA..

 

Good point! I'm going to quote that in the analysis of DJY.  :) I never thought of that. The point you guys made earlier is important, that the show made sure JA never got a cent of DH's money. This would be an added reason.

 

3 hours ago, actionscript said:

The second clip is the end game:

 

I love this second clip. Every time it comes up on the Give Me Slippers site header I have to watch it for a while before moving on. So great that we can see it now all the time in your posts @YukawaCattle! Thank you! :wub: :lol:

 

Park Ho San (the actor who plays Sang Hoon) looks slightly uncomfortable, though. I wonder if he still felt a bit like an outsider at this point because he came to the project late? Anyone know how many episodes they had filmed without him before he took over?

 

There are some great insights coming out of Man vs Drama's Episode 16- Part 3 video. I particularly like John Payne's comment about Ji An being Dong Hoon's mentor, and brian destijl's comment about one motif of the show being seeing people through other people's eyes. (posting the video link again here). Always something new to think about!

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the_sweetroad said:

 

There are some great insights coming out of Man vs Drama's Episode 16- Part 3 video. I particularly like John Payne's comment about Ji An being Dong Hoon's mentor

 

 

Yeah, that one was a great comment, though ill say that it really goes both ways, in that they both take on the 'mentor' role in their relationship at different points / in different aspects. Their relationship always felt like a very equal one despite the age gap / employee-manager relationship.

 

Watching that video (great series btw) makes me think about the ending of the show again. It's something I felt a little disappointed in on the first view, giving a 'that's it?' vibe, but upon reflection / thinking about it a little more, it's a perfect fairy-tale ending that really keeps in with the subtle and understated tone of the show. Love it.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, actionscript said:

 

@YukawaCattleI like you signature. I think there are two versions of that teaser clip:

 

 

 

 

I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the first clip was the starting point of the story: JA is alone and not eating quite as well.

The second clip is the end game: JA is now part of the family, and dressed much better as well. Everyone seems a lot happier now, and the way DH is relaxing his elbow on JA’s seat, they seem to already be in a relationship. So did they just show us a glimpse of life post time skip through that teaser clip??

 

Glad to hear you like it. :blush:

Yeah!
You notice the elbow, too!
I pick this motion graphic as the signature because it makes me feel they are in a relationship, so exciting!

 

I think your idea is persuasive.
We all know the personality of Park Dong-hoon.

He never touches JA until he gives her a hug.
(Never twice without three times, we see he takes the initiative to shake hands with JA in the ending.)
So it is persuasive that this scene is after they shake hands.
Wow!
It sounds exhilarating!

This make me believe more firmly that the ending is a new beginning. :thumbsup:

 

 

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I love this second clip. Every time it comes up on the Give Me Slippers site header I have to watch it for a while before moving on. So great that we can see it now all the time in your posts @YukawaCattle! Thank you! :wub: :lol:

 

Actually, I never knew this motion graphic until I browsed the fan site:


spacer.png

 

Thanks for the fan site!

 

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

There are some great insights coming out of Man vs Drama's Episode 16- Part 3 video. I particularly like John Payne's comment about Ji An being Dong Hoon's mentor, and brian destijl's comment about one motif of the show being seeing people through other people's eyes. (posting the video link again here). Always something new to think about!

 

Thanks for sharing the comments.
The fans of MM always have their excellent idea in mind.
Hope there will be more fans of this show so that we can read more nice ideas. :ok:

 

8 hours ago, Pixaiated said:

Watching that video (great series btw) makes me think about the ending of the show again. It's something I felt a little disappointed in on the first view, giving a 'that's it?' vibe, but upon reflection / thinking about it a little more, it's a perfect fairy-tale ending that really keeps in with the subtle and understated tone of the show. Love it.

 

When I first watched it, I had the same idea, then finally realized that this was the best ending. 

Found a partner here. :thumbsup:

 

Edited by Emily Bett
Please don't quote pictures, videos, or embedded content, thanks!
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

There are some great insights coming out of Man vs Drama's Episode 16- Part 3 video. I particularly like John Payne's comment about Ji An being Dong Hoon's mentor, and brian destijl's comment about one motif of the show being seeing people through other people's eyes. (posting the video link again here). Always something new to think about!

 

Thank you for reposting. There were so many new insights posted in the last 2-3 days that I’ve missed.

And I really had a good laugh seeing my name here being referenced in the comments there. :joy:

But indeed, how could I, the nape expert, have missed the best nape scene?!?

So here it is:

 

DegB8Fm.png

 

Is it just me or is there a dash of sensuality in the way JA’s lips touched the edge of that coffee cup? It’s like she is aware DH is looking. :sweatingbullets:

  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, actionscript said:

 

In ep 8 when JA went to confront Gwang Il to retrieve DH’s wallet, she gave us an indication of her income: 1.1M salary a month from Saman, then she pays 1.2M a month to Gwang Il. So I wonder how she covers for the 100k shortfall. She also washes dishes 2-3 hours a night to pay for rent. So after her debt is cleared, that’s a good amount that she now gets to keep herself.

 

Maybe the 100k is also from JY?

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

 

21 hours ago, actionscript said:

So thanks to Joon Young, not only is he the “master of the ship,” it was his money that paid off all of JA’s debt. We shouldn’t really be hating him, no?

 

Agree with you.
At least I never hate JY.
He is the greatest hero to make JA and DH closer, haha. 

 

Maybe JY is a character the writer helps us understand DH more.
I guess his interpretation of DH is 100% correct.
So he tells us that:

 

1. DH likes to pour his own drink.

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

-

2. DH might say (or do, I think) something real in mind after he gets drunk.
 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

This let me agree with your idea:

 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:22 PM, actionscript said:

Nape = erogenous zone = physical attraction/desire

 

In ep1 after the drinks with his brother, Dong Hoon is shown a bit tipsy on the train ride home where he noticed Ji An. 

 

 

Combined with JY's words, it is very persuasive.

 

-

3. DH's temper.

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

I don't know why JY is so scared about him.

I mean, he is DH's manager, after all.

So I guess it is because JY knows DH's temper so well.

 

-

4. If DH eats and drinks with a woman, he must love her. (Thank you, DJY.)

 

-

5. In DJY's mind, DH is too care about JA. 

 

According to DH himself, he treats everyone equally well.

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

But maybe in JY's mind, DH treats JA differently from others. 
For example, DH wants to pay off the debt of JA and take care of her grandmother.

These two things are weird to JY.

 

Spoiler

spacer.png


Maybe DH never treated someone else except YH like that when he studied university and in the past years in Saman E&C.

-

JY's reaction to point 5 also makes me guess DH already regarded JA as his family when EP9.
We all know DH always uses the substance, money, rather than talk to show his emotion. 
Hence, JY believes it is a big deal when DH eats and drinks with a woman;

JA thinks "Do you want anything" is the most heart-warming sentence in DH's words.


And the following scenes will make us realize DH's value system:
He will provide you money because you are either the person he doesn't want to be with;

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

or you are his family.

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

(Notice that he paid 60,000 won to JH, not just 20,000 won.)

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

So I think in EP9, he already treats JA as his family.

 

-

I think this inference holds also based on the dialogue:

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

It sounds on the surface that DH can understand why JA killed people.
But he rushed out and hit KI after saying this dialogue.
So maybe there is a subtext:

 

"JA is my family, and I will kill you because you beat her up!"

 

So sweet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..