[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

12 hours ago, actionscript said:

And I really had a good laugh seeing my name here being referenced in the comments there.

:lol:

the nape expert

:joy:

So here it is:

Nice! The way he looks at her there...yet another clue.

It’s like she is aware DH is looking. 

I think she doesn't know he's looking....which makes it even better. :lol:

11 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Maybe JY is a character the writer helps us understand DH more.
I guess his interpretation of DH is 100% correct.

Yes! Recently I watched the show and just focused on Do Joon Young and Dong Hoon's relationship, and on DJY and Ji An's relationship. You're right, DJY knows DH very well and tells the viewers a lot about DH. The reverse is also true, that DH tells us a lot about DJY. They have a 20-year history so they know each other and accurately talk about each other. They also really hate each other. :blink::)

According to DH himself, he treats everyone equally well.

So I think in EP9, he already treats JA as his family.

These two sentences above (and the screenshots of the dialogue from Ep 11 that you posted), connected together, are a great point. Since DH has now met Ji An's halmeoni, he considers himself a friend to JA, and yes, probably family once he hears her story from Choon Dae and goes to pay off her debt. Lovely insight.

--

I re-watched Episode 13 yesterday, and wondered what you guys thought of this scene: After Ki Hoon and Sang Hoon find out about Yoon Hee's affair, the three brothers go to that simple restaurant. When the ahjumma owner brings out the food, Ki Hoon lays into her for how the food looks. Is that just a segue so that Dong Hoon can scold him for not helping him feel better? Or is there some hidden meaning to Ki Hoon not thinking the food is up to his standards? I've always been slightly confused by why the show had Ki Hoon criticize her food.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

When the ahjumma owner brings out the food, Ki Hoon lays into her for how the food looks. Is that just a segue so that Dong Hoon can scold him for not helping him feel better? Or is there some hidden meaning to Ki Hoon not thinking the food is up to his standards? I've always been slightly confused by why the show had Ki Hoon criticize her food.

In my opinion, the food is for sure not good.
We can check this fact from SH's face.

Spoiler

spacer.png

But I believe KH will not complain about it directly when he in a good mood.

Maybe he will eat it directly but complain in his mind.
I think his personality is, he will over criticize anything he meets when he feels sad.

BTW, I re-watched Episode 13 yesterday, too. :thumbsup: 

(high-five)

-

4 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Yes! Recently I watched the show and just focused on Do Joon Young and Dong Hoon's relationship, and on DJY and Ji An's relationship. You're right, DJY knows DH very well and tells the viewers a lot about DH. The reverse is also true, that DH tells us a lot about DJY. They have a 20-year history so they know each other and accurately talk about each other. They also really hate each other. :blink::)

Hmmm...

This makes me feel like its another style of bromance...

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

@actionscript, I think we need to preach more your 
"Nape = erogenous zone = physical attraction/desire" 
theory. 

spacer.png

We lose!

:tired:

-

We all know that DH wants to suicide when EP5 and EP6, respectively.
But I found that it seems like he also wants to die when EP14?

Spoiler

spacer.png

So JA's leaving really makes DH feel heartbroken. :heartbreak:

-

By the way, is anybody notice this DH's dialogue in the preview of the next episode of EP15?

Spoiler

spacer.png

It is my first time reading this.
It isn't the error of translation.
I read English, Chinese, and Japanese, and they are all the same meaning.
When does DH say that in EP16? 
I am curious about why DH has this dialogue.
Or is it just in DH's mind?

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 6:30 AM, the_sweetroad said:

I re-watched Episode 13 yesterday, and wondered what you guys thought of this scene: After Ki Hoon and Sang Hoon find out about Yoon Hee's affair, the three brothers go to that simple restaurant. When the ahjumma owner brings out the food, Ki Hoon lays into her for how the food looks. Is that just a segue so that Dong Hoon can scold him for not helping him feel better? Or is there some hidden meaning to Ki Hoon not thinking the food is up to his standards? I've always been slightly confused by why the show had Ki Hoon criticize her food.

Oh I never really gave that scene much thought before. I re-watched it now and these are my top-of-mind thoughts:

-  Ki Hoon said he can eat it, doesn’t mind eating it (and then was cutoff by DH). It seemed to mean if it’s just bad food, he can endure eating it. Contrast that to being cheated on, it’s as if he wanted to say it’s something DH shouldn’t endure, as opposed to what Sang Hoon is encouraging DH to do.

-  Ki Hoon was trying to make a scene, again subconsciously trying to tell DH to also pour out his emotions instead of bottling it all up and appearing so calm. DH validated it by saying that KH seemed to want him “to go there and make a huge scene.”

9 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

@actionscript, I think we need to preach more your 
"Nape = erogenous zone = physical attraction/desire" 
theory. 

Stephan has already been preaching about DH's physical attraction to JA in his replies to comments. Too bad I cannot insert pictures in Youtube. :D

We lose!

:tired:

Ohh thank you for this! I didn’t know he did set up a poll! And based on the sparse comments, many didn’t either.

We all know that DH wants to suicide when EP5 and EP6, respectively.
But I found that it seems like he also wants to die when EP14?

I didn’t take this scene as DH contemplating suicide. I laughed out loud thinking what you were implying, that DH contemplated killing himself by electrocuting himself through an electric pole! I've never encountered anyone take their own life that way! :grimace:

If I’m not mistaken, this street corner was the place where some of their walks took place, and also where Ji An wandered around at night to catch a glimpse of DH. So my thought was that DH was just sadly reminiscing those moments with JA.

By the way, is anybody notice this DH's dialogue in the preview of the next episode of EP15?

I am curious about why DH has this dialogue.
Or is it just in DH's mind?

Yes those words were just on the ep 16 preview but not on ep 16 itself. It seemed to mean DH telling himself he was never kind to himself. Don’t mind too much the scene that went with the dialogue, as the show often have dialogues in the preview that didn’t match the scenes shown.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Where is the Man v Drama poll?!!!! I can't find it!

You have to go the home page of ManvsDrama and click on the Community tab.. and then you can click on the small message icon below the poll to read and post comments.

He should have informed everyone through the Ep 16 part 3 comment section..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, actionscript said:

You have to go the home page of ManvsDrama and click on the Community tab.. and then you can click on the small message icon below the poll to read and post comments.

Thanks! I've been reading through the comments....in that platform as well as others where MM is discussed, it's interesting the common themes that non-shippers write about when they see a platonic connection rather than a possible romantic one.

Here's the link so other chingus can vote! https://www.youtube.com/c/ManVsDrama/community

10 hours ago, actionscript said:

Oh I never really gave that scene much thought before. I re-watched it now and these are my top-of-mind thoughts:

-  Ki Hoon said he can eat it, doesn’t mind eating it (and then was cutoff by DH). It seemed to mean if it’s just bad food, he can endure eating it. Contrast that to being cheated on, it’s as if he wanted to say it’s something DH shouldn’t endure, as opposed to what Sang Hoon is encouraging DH to do.

Good point! Yes, Sang Hoon is encouraging DH to forgive YH and talk to her, etc. But Ki Hoon feels the opposite way. Insightful to think that KH is approaching the food as something to endure or not.

On 12/23/2021 at 2:59 AM, YukawaCattle said:

But I believe KH will not complain about it directly when he in a good mood.

Maybe he will eat it directly but complain in his mind.
I think his personality is, he will over criticize anything he meets when he feels sad.

Haha, yes, he's a grumpypants, isn't he? :lol:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, actionscript said:

Stephan has already been preaching about DH's physical attraction to JA in his replies to comments. Too bad I cannot insert pictures in Youtube. :D

That's great.

Stephan and us are on the same side.

Nice. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your theory. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

-

@actionscript, @the_sweetroad

spacer.png

Tie. :thumbsup:

Hope we could win. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

-

I didn’t take this scene as DH contemplating suicide. I laughed out loud thinking what you were implying, that DH contemplated killing himself by electrocuting himself through an electric pole! I've never encountered anyone take their own life that way! :grimace:

If I’m not mistaken, this street corner was the place where some of their walks took place, and also where Ji An wandered around at night to catch a glimpse of DH. So my thought was that DH was just sadly reminiscing those moments with JA.

I know it sounds ridiculous in usual.
But I think DH has a depressive disorder.

This guess is based on Signal again.
Then if someone has a depressive disorder, sadness sometimes can trigger the symptom.
In this situation, if he wants to die, any method to die is always ok.
The first reason is that.

The second reason is the position.
From the following pictures and gif, we can see that DH's viewing is not where JA stands.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

Instead, he stands near JA's position and views these telephone poles.

Notice the first picture. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

This is a zoom-in scene, just like when he sees JA's neck.

And in the second picture, his angle of view is too high.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Even though JA is so quiet like a cat, she still won't climb the roof.

So I guess it could only mean that he is so focused on these poles.

Why did he do that?

I think this is because he is thinking something dangerous at this moment.

-

Yes those words were just on the ep 16 preview but not on ep 16 itself. It seemed to mean DH telling himself he was never kind to himself. Don’t mind too much the scene that went with the dialogue, as the show often have dialogues in the preview that didn’t match the scenes shown.

So sad.:dissapointed_relieved:

-

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Haha, yes, he's a grumpypants, isn't he? :lol:

-

13 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Good point! Yes, Sang Hoon is encouraging DH to forgive YH and talk to her, etc. But Ki Hoon feels the opposite way. Insightful to think that KH is approaching the food as something to endure or not.

@actionscript is impressive. :flushed:

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 3

Hi chingus, Merry Christmas!

I've been looking at Do Joon Young over the last few weeks (analysis to come soon!) and I had a thought :):

It's interesting how four men in particular gather their information during the story.

Kwang Il hears Dong Hoon's daily life as well as the really intimate, secret stuff about him such as his confrontation with Yoon Hee. He also hears conversations between Dong Hoon and Ji An. But it's stolen information, which Ji An also stole from Dong Hoon as she wiretapped him. We know Kwang Il has no problem violating boundaries, and in stealing Ki Bum's computer and files (and taking the liberty of listening to those files), he acts consistently with his character.

Do Joon Young uses Yoon Hee to run a background check on Ji An, hires a photographer to clandestinely gather photos of Dong Hoon and Ji An, and hires the private detective to dig into even more of Dong Hoon's actions, such as offering to pay off Ji An's debt.

When Dong Hoon confronts him at the campsite in Episode 7, Dong Hoon says, "You're the type to have others do the dirty work for you":

spacer.png

The way Do Joon Young gathers information - by using and hiring other people - fits this profile, and is shown pretty clearly throughout the show. He also pays Ji An to keep listening to Dong Hoon, and then forces her to play back the recordings of her conversations with DH. Everything DJY does is in secret, and he's always having secret meetings to learn what he needs to learn.

As a contrast to both Kwang Il and Do Joon Young, Managing Director Park Dong Un is consistently looking at “public” records. He checks out the CCTV in Saman (Ep 1) and in the Shine bar (Ep 3), and street CCTVs when he's at the police station (Ep 13). Of course, not everyone has the power he has to even ask to see the CCTVs, but because he's Park Dong Un, he gets to view them when he needs to. He has no need to look at stolen goods or sneakily-obtained records.

Dong Hoon gathers information as well. In Episode 5 he discovers Yoon Hee's affair by going to the data (the phone records), entering phone numbers into a spreadsheet, calling places and eliminating the phone numbers one-by-one, and then heading over to the phone booth. Once he suspects Yoon Hee, DH waits in the cafe near her office to see what will happen. And later, when he spots Do Joon Young and Yoon Hee going into the Minette hotel, he calls both of their cell phones and hears that they're in the same room. He's quite procedural about it all.

In Episode 14, when DH is looking for Ji An, he confronts Do Joon Young to gather information about JA's whereabouts. He also asks Yoon Hee if she knows Lee Ji An, visits Ki Bum in prison, and visits Ji An's home (all in Ep 15). Again, he's methodical and procedural.

We also see Park Dong Un giving Dong Hoon information about the bribe (Ep 3?) and about Ji An wiretapping his phone (Ep 14). Dong Hoon wouldn't have been able to find out these two things on his own, but thankfully he has PDU to tell him the truth.

So... throughout the show all four of these men need information for different reasons, and observing how they all go about obtaining it is interesting and further illuminates their characters.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

On 12/24/2021 at 10:17 PM, YukawaCattle said:

Even though JA is so quiet like a cat, she still won't climb the roof.

LOL! Me imagining JA climbing roofs to get a glimpse of DH.. :joy:

9 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

It's interesting how four men in particular gather their information during the story.

Great insights! Never thought of these before.. But yeah, bad guys will always be bad, and good guys will always be good.

One thing I’m not clear with was how did PDU get hold of JY’s call logs? I’m not sure if it was explained clearly in the show. Considering it's not a company phone, he couldn't have gotten it it within Saman. DH seemed reluctant to use that list at first, and was just pushed to do so after receiving another round of bullying and humiliation from Dir. Yoon about the letters of apology he had to submit.  

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

54 minutes ago, actionscript said:

But yeah, bad guys will always be bad, and good guys will always be good.

Yes! Come to think of it, that's what I was trying to say. :joy: And engineers will always approach things methodically.

One thing I’m not clear with was how did PDU get hold of JY’s call logs?

I think it was the company phone. There were many phone numbers that belonged to Saman employees (these were the ones DH cross-referenced with the company directory). And there were phone numbers belonging to other companies (these were the ones DH called to verify their addresses).

So DJY must have used his company phone to receive calls from Yoon Hee's payphone (and she called him a lot! :wacko:). 

I think with the private 2G phone (is that what they called it?), Yoon Hee could call him on that using the payphone OR her personal and company phone. This is the phone that JA stole in Episode 2 that had Yoon Hee's personal phone number on it, the number she also saw on DH's phone belonging to chib saram.

DH seemed reluctant to use that list at first, and was just pushed to do so after receiving another round of bullying and humiliation from Dir. Yoon about the letters of apology he had to submit.  

Yup. It's all Director Yoon and DJY's fault, that DH was driven to dig deeper into DJY's phone records. :lol: They should've known better.

Fun to see you guys, @actionscript and @Pixaiated, on the fangirlverdict site when I read her post this morning!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I think it was the company phone.

Ooh you’re right! It was JY’s company phone. And it made sense that YH would use the payphone to call JY’s company phone, then boldly use her own phone to call his private 2G phone.  So I suppose PDU must have gotten the call logs from the audit team, as the audit team reports to the chairman and not the CEO.

This was discussed briefly a few pages back but this time I wanted to put in the pictures, as it seemed significant. (This topic was in fact my very first post here in soompi, with no pictures as I didn't know yet how to do it then.. ^_^)

We see JA in a number of scenes working on the office copier:

In ep 2 when DH warned JA about telling on her about his suspicions that she stole the bribe money:

bQRTaaf.png

In ep 6 when Dae Ri asked her for paper and she used her foot to open the cabinet:

VwCVvDE.png

In ep 7 when Dae Ri complained of the copier not working and JA fixed the paper jam that caused it:

TbNdAVz.png

And the confrontation with Chae Ryung in ep 13:

Spoiler

uqxOTjw.png

Then in ep 16 post time skip, Ki Hoon was watching Yu Ra’s movie and her character was shown working on a copier:

Spoiler

n75bQYT.png

Yu Ra’s character is styled like JA (with her hair tied which she don’t do as Yu Ra), is pounding hard on the copier just as JA would, and is wearing a coat similar in color tone to what JA would wear in the final scene..

Spoiler

DUc3iZz.png

Also here she seemed to have broken the 4th wall and was made to look like she’s glancing at and addressing the movie audience:

Spoiler

eZ2LSh5.png2hwhlbD.png

This movie scene of Yu Ra in front of the copier seemed deliberately made for Yu Ra to represent JA, as it would be too much of a coincidence if it was not. 

As @the_sweetroad pointed out in this post, YR is a spokesperson for JA, and the audition lines she recited in ep 8 accurately portrayed JA's situation! So it seemed Yu Ra's character in her movie was a meta representation for JA. Her words in that copier scene, addressed to us the audience, points to what we are to expect coming in the final coffee shop scene that came shortly after -- of love surging up between DH and JA. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

Recently I could only find this, lol.

Too funny! That's a great connection to make. And the actor Lee Sun Kyun actually did have to damage that door. Wonder if it was made of styrofoam for him. :)

20 hours ago, actionscript said:

This was discussed briefly a few pages back but this time I wanted to put in the pictures, as it seemed significant. (This topic was in fact my very first post here in soompi, with no pictures as I didn't know yet how to do it then.. ^_^)

So insightful! So great to see the pictures now. It confirms and cements the purpose of the final scene for sure. Commenter UnlikelyCouple1970's on Give Me Slippers said that Ki Hoon's screenplay notes of "Scene 1: A crazy b*** entered my life" was shown immediately before Ji An walked into the coffee shop. So putting together Yu Ra's lines and styling in that movie, as well as Ki Hoon's "introduction" of a new scene, means we have a new love-filled beginning about to start.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Too funny! That's a great connection to make. And the actor Lee Sun Kyun actually did have to damage that door. Wonder if it was made of styrofoam for him. :)

I think KH has the answer, lol.

Spoiler

spacer.png

By the theory of this post, KH is the mouthpiece for DH.
Maybe he is also a mouthpiece for director KWS, lol.

-

By the way, I am still thinking about your older post, @the_sweetroad.
May I discuss them with you later?
I am not going to ignore your new ideas here.
I still have no idea about them, so I didn't know how to discuss them.
But I have some thinking about the older one.
If I have some thoughts in the future, I promise I will discuss the new idea you posted here yesterday. :bawling:

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, YukawaCattle said:

By the way, I am still thinking about your older post, @the_sweetroad.
May I discuss them with you later?
I am not going to ignore your new ideas here.
I still have no idea about them, so I didn't know how to discuss them.
But I have some thinking about the older one.

Of course! You can discuss anything, from any time, whenever :) . That's what's nice about the forum. No need to acknowledge or discuss every post that's posted, and you can bring in older ideas/ discussions whenever you like. I think it's normal that some things will capture your attention and some things won't. Next time I re-watch My Mister I'm going to be thinking about the straight lines you pointed out. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2021 at 11:01 PM, the_sweetroad said:

I think in IU's own words the moon represents Dong Hoon: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/27/dear-moon-performed-by-iu-ius-inspiration-fan-thoughts/#more-1309

But I see that halmeoni is in many of the moon shots in the show, and she loves seeing it.

Last time you mention that the moon represents DH.
So we know the moon does not represent Halmeoni. 
She just loves to see it.
So, in other words, Halmeoni usually wants to see the moon.
We may also check her thinking by the following dialogue.

Spoiler

spacer.png

This gives me an idea:

Why not interpret these crosses as people’s thinking/feeling?

-

Spoiler

spacer.png

(1) DH: I want to help that pitiful girl./I feel comfortable when I am with her.

"/" means DH has these two thoughts simultaneously.

The first thinking we can check from EP12 JA’s dialogue.
The second one holds because DH knows JA can understand him.
Though we all know he feels sad about it, in human nature, I think we will be happy if there exists someone who can understand us.

-

Spoiler

spacer.png

(2) JA: I feel comfortable when I am with halmeoni./I feel comfortable when DH helps me.

The first one is obvious.
The second one, I think, is also holding.
She has already opened her mind to DH a little at this moment.
We can check this fact by the following scene.

Spoiler

spacer.png

She starts to care about him.

Form the OST Adult, there is a lyric:

“As if I was alone in this large world,

No one tries to look into my heart

No one"

When JA tapped DH, she found that someone who could understand her.
I think this will make her happy.
That's why JA starts to care about him.

I think director KWS using the red cross to represent this emotion is important.
Because we all know JA is usually being abandoned by people who help her.
If we were JA, we also would keep our distance from these "good people" next time.

And also, she needs money to pay her rent at this moment.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Combining these two reasons, the writer needs to give her this dialogue to deny her mind to DH:

Spoiler

spacer.png

So if the red cross really represents her real emotion(feel comfortable), this scene can accurately show her ambivalent mood.

-

In (1) and (2), there may be one more thinking is "I feel comfortable when seeing the moon.”
But I ignore it because it seems obvious to the audience.

-

Spoiler

spacer.png

(3) JA: I am saved by DH./I feel comfortable when DH tells me these words.

These two seem obvious.

-

Spoiler

spacer.png

(4) JA: I need to sacrifice myself to help DH./Helping him make me feel comfortable.

If JA is not for DH, on the run or not is not a big deal.
And the way she is on the run is without holding back.
If not for DH, I think JA won't have such determination.
So I think the first one holds.

Because of JH and JA's dialogue, I think the second one also holds.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

She feels her life is meaningful after helping/loving DH without holding back.
So she says she can be reborn.
So I think even though she is painful when leaving DH, she will also feel comfortable at the same time.

These two dialogues, I think, are in the same line because we see JA says she wants to be reborn in Hugye next time in the later episode.

Maybe this means that she recognizes Hugye as her home now.

-

Does the way to interpret the crosses like this make sense?

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 3

Happy New Year!

I hope all My Mister fans will always stay healthy and safe in the new year.

Also, I hope more and more people will be watching this masterpiece.

And most importantly, the team of romance will get stronger!

Spoiler

spacer.png

Romance team, win! 

spacer.png

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Recently I collected some straight lines and did classification.
I am not a photography major, but in my opinion, the straight lines in My Mister has 5 main usages:

to represent opposition (red), to represent alliance (green), to represent negotiation (yellow), to represent estrangement (blue), and to split-screen (white).

-

1. To represent opposition (red)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

-

2. To represent alliance (green)

There are three ways to represent an alliance.

(1) "Inside" (I don't know how to say this, lol.)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

(2) Overlap

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

(3) Multiple lines

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

-

3. To represent negotiation (yellow)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

-

4. To represent estrangement (blue)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This picture also has an interpretation is with the rectangle.

Spoiler

spacer.png

-

5. To split-screen (white)

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

-

Welcome to discuss the straight lines if you guys have any idea.

-

By the way, the following picture may be a compound of "inside"(alliance) and estrangement.

Spoiler

spacer.png

That means DH maybe wants a hug in this scene, but we know he won't do so at this moment.

Edited by YukawaCattle
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1