[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

10 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

No, it's not, at least not in the US. I wish it would be available. But where did you hear that?

I saw this

Also I saw a screencap for MA on Netflix starting June 1 from one of the people I follow on Twitter, but their account is private so I couldn't share it here...

But looking at the pic again, it's probably for Netflix Korea...

Too bad...

I was hoping Netflix US and other countries will pick up MA too...

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

@widala You were right, looks like Netflix is finally going to offer My Ahjussi/My Mister to the world! 

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/whats-coming-to-netflix-in-june-2020-05-24/

What’s Coming to Netflix on June 10th

• Lenox Hill (Season 1) N – Docu-series on the New York hospital.
  • Middle Men (2009) – Geoge Gallo’s comedy-drama about Jack Harris one of the pioneers in online commerce.
  • My Mister (Season 1) – South Korea family drama.
  • Reality Z (Season 1) N – Brazillian zombie horror series.

While I don't think Netflix subs will be as good as Viki, I am just happy that more people will have an easier access to this drama. Hopefully a lot of people will give it a chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

While I don't think Netflix subs will be as good as Viki, I am just happy that more people will have an easier access to this drama. Hopefully a lot of people will give it a chance.

Agree with you about the subs :sweatingbullets:

But, like you, I'm glad too

• Like 4

im a new guy. just watched it, do u guys realize that the farewell hug, JA consciously( or is it unconsciously?) gives a finger heart to DH when she says "fighting"

• Like 7

I’m also glad I ended up watching this drama I’m not that into sad dramas. The only one I saw was I miss you and that left me a mess. I saw hotel del Luna and loved IU’s acting and the drama was really good. I wanted to see more of her dramas. I kept putting it off because I kept hearing it was sad. But video recommendations kept popping  up on my YouTube. so I was ok I will gave it a try and well I ended up loving it. Lol 

• Like 7

On 5/26/2020 at 1:55 AM, nyuh said:

im a new guy. just watched it, do u guys realize that the farewell hug, JA consciously( or is it unconsciously?) gives a finger heart to DH when she says "fighting"

I haven't noticed but will pay attention next time I rewatch. Thanks for sharing that here.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:05 AM, Man-O-Man said:

I bow down to translators every day, wherever they work. They've changed my life.

Yeah, no kidding. Here's one example of the superiority of Viki subs. In this scene from end of episode 10, I used to wonder if the restaurant owner was trying to reassure Park Dong Hoon that his marriage to Yoon Hee would come out okay (or not okay) because the subs were not clear at all. I thought the friend knew about Park Dong Hoon's situation and that he didn't need to worry about his marriage. This in turn caused all kinds of angst among viewers. Was that a hint that his marriage would tank like the restaurant owner's?

4l5fHzTf3tBJi039EuVTMJfhC_dqUKlfH2EEsgN00dCy-_40O9LRtukPoFQ-UmbHcB5kcGQ_gjk_tL8SN__YmGfJsY5DHFZDqR_iT9dld4kSL9tnqN2ZCq2x5jbFBskMZC2ADmkF

73Vnf0IeJw9848nIJ7uk3kA8cvUeHUf_V90h40oH9C5qddloDuXdyqnMRawYzIDFn14_AbpjaubMOIf-16zVo7OXD4RQGFhvfYWb6ufBcgd20T6XgjTJtqQLJzpPhR1XuP3sjdPk

But it turned out they were not talking about Park Dong Hoon's marriage at all. From Viki:

e2ck25oXlitU4AJlErfvM84niY0E_UQ6JCeIINGbnwQEVP0XsAVx2Bhpe1MhTvOpMRr4L6qJd0McZtedYJ_QRA6UGsc-DqLEno5Ea1taE9wGVCFisfWNm22MkbWZpWi0sS7nnTqB

There are others like this and I hope to post some more later. I am curious to see which subs Netflix would use.

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

Hallloooo, everyone!  I haven't been here in such a long time and I'm so glad that there are still our old chinggus here and some new ones as well.  :)

I actually come back to this thread from time to time but haven't had the chance to post any replies.  It was here that I found out that Viu picked up the drama.  I decided to check out a random episode to see how the translations were and just happened to pick episode 12.  I couldn't have chosen better.  It's the one that starts with Park Dong Hoon remembering his confrontation with his wife, Kang Yoon Hee, after he discovered she was having an affair with his boss.  I wasn't expecting that it would affect me just as much as it did when I first watched this scene.  I guess I'll never really get over Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An.  

Then the other day, I was so happy to find that Netflix will be showing the drama starting June 10.  I can't wait to watch it all over again.  Let's see if there will be any new insights this time around.  

Hugs to all and stay safe!  :heart:  

• Like 9

Often when I hear that Netflix will be broadcasting a K drama, it does not neccessarily mean in every country. Canada misses out on a lot from Netflix. Fortunately, My Mister is scheduled for Canada this time. Looking forward to watching it again and this time I will try to get my wife to get over her fear of subtitles.

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

Hope you all fine, really hope. 5 mins ago, I was so excited when I saw our drama in Netflix, I was like "It's here, guys!! Finally!". But after reading 2 last pages, that excitement is gone. I become a little bit melancholic, just seing this forum. I do hope you all fine guys, in this pandemic situation. I saw some names in other thread, but somehow it feels different seeing it here.

Anyway, I am happy it's in Netflix (and  soon, One Piece tooo!! :D) . First time I subscribed Netflix, because of CLOY, I was expecting seeing My Mister here. Unfortunately not. But once Netflix announced it, I posted in my all social media. I think more people need to know abt this drama and can feel the warmth feeling as I do. And yes, I want to know how the translation is, since (perhaps) we know that Netflix sometimes miss-translates. Hope it's not the case for our drama.

And 1.24am here, and I will start my binge watching now :).

Ooo dear, just seeing the intro, my heart skipped a beat. What will happen to me... Wish me luck and I can survive :sweatingbullets::D

Edited by ayamom
  • Like 10

@ayamom Please enjoy the drama. I also plan a rewatch on Netflix in the upcoming days. This time gonna slowly enjoy it. It is so well done (direction, acting, writing etc.) and even though it will make you feel alll the emotions, it’s the good kind. Only the best kinds of drama will make the viewers feel so. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, ayamom said:

But after reading 2 last pages, that excitement is gone. I become a little bit melancholic, just seing this forum. I do hope you all fine guys, in this pandemic situation. I saw some names in other thread, but somehow it feels different seeing it here.

I totally understood what you meant @ayamom. Those two months here during this drama's original run were all kinds of special. Hope you are doing well. And hope to see your thoughts if you care to share during your rewatch.

@Man-O-Man Good luck convincing your wife. I hope you are successful. :)

• Like 6
  • Awesome 1

H'yall!  I just added it to my Netflix list. :)

It's gonna be a long weekend this week where I am so I might start on my re-watch.  Maybe I would have already developed better coping mechanisms for all the emotion that this drama brings.  :P

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

18 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I totally understood what you meant @ayamom. Those two months here during this drama's original run were all kinds of special. Hope you are doing well. And hope to see your thoughts if you care to share during your rewatch.

I have finished all episodes. I am affraid I can't write a deep thoughts as all of you wrote here. But I will write some points:

1. I love the intro part, the visual and the music. Netflix chooses a quite "bright" tone. I think it's good for people who watch My Mister for the first time. Before, some people gave a comments on my social media post abt My Mister, like: it's so dark, it's to heavy for me, I read the review, it's not my type of Kdrama. Yesterday I posted it again :D, and they said: I checked it, I love the intro, seems good. I said: just keep watching, you will get more and more.

More comments from my friend: wow, Tae Oh (TWOM) is here, and U Pil'd dad (CLOY) too! Haha, yes, they are here.

2. The translation. It's good, but since I almost familiar with all scene and dialogue, the way Netflix translate it is quite different. Just feel a little bit weird for me. For example: when Ji an took of her glasses and it showed a terrible bruises on ger eyes

PDH: break up with him. There are plenty more fish in the sea.

Hmm, I don't get they need to put analogy there.

Haha, perhaps just me who think it's weird.

And for last part of episode 16 when DH talkednwith his friend in coffee shop and Ji an heard, the translation still written as "my wife", but I am sure I hear it as "my son's mom".

3. The story. This is my fourth time and I still love it, I still feel the same warmth as the first tine I watched it. I hope I will not make it five time soon. I still have a daughter, a work, and a husband that I need to take care of, as far as I remember :lol:.

4. Ji an: why everyone thank me?

O dear, you don't know how much you help Dong Hoon and his family and friends. I love Ji an and it makes me loving IU more. I am so happy she got nominated in Baeksang this year for Hotel Del Luna. Awesome! It's okay for not winnning, IU is still great (for me).

Ps: is there anyone notice how old Ji Seok in the drama is? Because in the last episode, he is 14.

That's all I can write now. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ayamom said:

2. The translation. It's good, but since I almost familiar with all scene and dialogue, the way Netflix translate it is quite different. Just feel a little bit weird for me. For example: when Ji an took of her glasses and it showed a terrible bruises on ger eyes

PDH: break up with him. There are plenty more fish in the sea.

Hmm, I don't get they need to put analogy there.

That is weird indeed. Viki's straightforward translation just says "There are countless other guys out there." I'm not happy Netflix is still using "my wife" in that last scene. 

Here's another example of very different translations. PDH has just noticed her ankles and asked if she's not cold. She just gave him a look and so he said:

"original"

tUTsDXuTCRlmILDvW4azkAVZy8FymNZBm0us-t57uyxESGo2kv7XhkAwMsIBgda-zLOjBK-WM50XC0JRavtN1BsCj-lcqsuOyWdStqw3aS7w6r0qwidSel2nPxKinaIrXetZbYWl

Viki:

QHAI6B13QgwWIyVf1U71vjP2JVF72dRIG-awZzBGDWWSGB6K2a5zygCcmlPIUesTGEOfbFCpCUC85LhdCChieC6E6QKTsG39MoSBTvccccj-VeqBM8ibs8X7K0GZPWknXWCkrhMt

• Like 4

Being unilingual english, I can't really grasp why one translation would be so different from another. I guess it's because the translators in some cases, like Netflix, don't really understand english that well. Or are they just taking shortcuts because they are lazy? I would think that Netflix, being a huge international company that prides itself on introducing foreign language programs to the entire world, would put a little more quality control into their translations. I wonder if their translations from Korean into other languages besides english are also similarly affected. Is it just a matter of paying more money to get better translators?

Regardless, I've watched many many foreign language shows on Netflix and thoroughly enjoy them. But better is always better so Netflix should get its act together and treat the world to the best translations there can be.

• Like 7