[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

• 3 weeks later...

I saw LSK congratulating IU on Lee Hee Yeol's Sketchbook program. I'm glad @widala made a post about it because I would have had no clue how to share that clip. I was so hoping that LSK would come out to surprise IU and make a comment. I was very happy when I saw it.

Recently, on 'King of Mask Singer' the current king sang "Adult" in his battle to keep his position as king. The judges were in tears and the king retained the title by a score of 15-1. The song sounded so familiar and it took awhile for me to realize what song it was but soon I too was in tears remembering our dear masterpiece.

On a final note while watching a reality program and trying to figure out how the show came up with the ages of some of the contestants I realized that many in Korea use the Lunar Calendar to celebrate birthdays. Usually, the lunar birthday falls up to a month before the birthday using a traditional calendar. So, we might see the birthdate as June 5 but it might be celebrated sometime in May. The day will vary from year to year. I have several friends who celebrate their birthday in this fashion.

So, DH's son could have had a birthday sometime in the Spring/Summer before he left for the US. When JA and DH met again he could have had another birthday even before the date listed on any documents. So he could be 2 years older than when we first met him. Why am I still talking about this? It just struck me suddenly. I still want the time apart to have been as short as possible!

Hope all of you are doing well!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My Mister is still a frequently discussed drama on Reddit although the moderators like to take down any new threads citing that the topics have been discussed previously. :unamused:

But anyway, here's a recent and rather long discussion for anyone still starved for anything My Ajusshi. :)  Read it 'coz it may not be around for long.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started watching 'My Mister' early last year but stopped after only 10 minutes into the first episode as I thought it was just going to be a silly romance/corporate politics type story. Luckily, as I was trying to find something to watch, I saw that it was on Netflix and decided to give it another shot.  And I'm absolutely glad I did as it is one of the best dramas I have ever seen from any country, east or west.  Kudos to the entire production team, the actors and writers.   I watched it once not knowing really anything about the plot and watched it again right after, following along with the comments, posts and analysis from the Soompi forum.  I can see myself re-watching this drama every 4-5 years and getting something new from it every time. 

I rarely write reviews, blog posts or anything but loved this series so much, I wanted to share an epiphany I had about an aspect of the drama.  In Episode 8, which is about half way through the series, DH and JA are walking together and DH is explaining to JA the difference between an architect and a structural engineer, about how buildings need to be designed to be able to withstand external forces, and that it's the materials used that creates the internal structure to withstand those forces.  JA tells DH that he told her that her internal forces seemed strong and wanted to know what he meant by that, and he says probably because she didn't list any qualifications or expectations in her resume, and just listing running seemed stronger, like he was unconsciously agreeing with his monk friend that having and acquiring external 'stuff' wasn't everything.  This conversation is so poignant and the fact that it's happening right before everything starts crumbling around DH makes the writing a masterpiece. 

It parallels their exchange in the bar when they are discussing their view when knowing someone elses vulnerability, DH would choose to feign ignorance in case the other persons internal structure isn't strong enough to withstand the pressure, whereas JA sometimes feels like she would rather have it broadcast so everyone would know it.  This illustrates that DH is not truly aware of his internal forces, he believes that by controlling the external forces (image of him) that he can balance the forces.  But as his image starts to collapse around him, he clings to the one persons whose internal forces he can lean on which is JA, until he has had a chance to develop his own, which is why he needs her even though he can't admit it to others or himself.  JA herself has very strong internal forces but has shut herself off to the fact that the internal forces and external forces actually need to work together to balance themselves out.  Her walls are so strong and high that she has self-isolated herself in her own prison where her belief of herself as a bad person and a murderer is all she sees and is the only perspective of others that she allows in.  It is DH's generosity, humanity and trust that allows her to start to see that some external forces from outside can be beneficial to break through the internal structures of her self-imposed punishment.  Which is why DH's character and integrity are so important to JA, because if such a good person believes that she is a good person too, it just might be true. 

This is also why I found the ending of the series amazing, because it holds true to the realistic fact that as long as they really 'needed' each other to heal themselves, they wouldn't really be happy.  They both needed to independently restructure their internal/external forces so that they could handle them from a place of wholeness.  We don't truly love from a place of need, but only from an abundance of love in our own hearts.

I could probably write an entire blog post but I'll leave it at that.  I really love this drama so much.

Edited by SweetMochi
slight context correction
  • Like 6
  • Awesome 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Whew! I finally made it to the end of this thread, having started back on page 180-something a few days ago. I've read every article you guys put up on the Give Me Slippers website (and commented a couple of times) and now found this forum, too. You all are stars, hanging in there and posting all the analyses, news, and rich details you've found! I'm late to the party; I started watching My Mister on April 8 on Netflix, finished it about a week later, and have re-watched it multiple times now. It's SOOO nice to find a group of people who take MM so seriously! :) Even though it's been three years since the discussion first started, it's great to see that this thread still continues. 

It's 3:20am here right now so must get to bed, but will try to write more soon!

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

OK, I'm awake again :).

I just cannot get My Mister out of my system, and over the past couple of months with watches, re-watches, going over the superb content at Give Me Slippers, and thinking through the show, there have been a lot of thoughts building up that need to come out. My husband is utterly sick of hearing about MM (even though he enjoyed watching it)...so THANK YOU in advance for listening.

Here goes, in no particular order.

Differences between Netflix and TVN:

With the Netflix version, it seems we're missing out on a couple of things. First, in Episode 11 when Dong Hoon goes to visit GD at the temple, the song playing is not "El Condor Pasa" but one of the instrumental pieces from the soundtrack. Not a big deal, but there's so much meaning in "El Condor Pasa" that I wish they'd put that in. I'm assuming it was a copyright issue.

Also, in Episode 14, when DH is at the movie theater after learning about JA's wiretapping, we don't get to see the movie playing on the big screen :(. I'm not familiar with "Peppermint Candy" at all, BUT it's kind of jarring and disruptive to hear terrible screaming coming from the film and not be able to see it for context.

Park Dong Hoon - an Enneagram 9 waking up from a deep sleep

After studying the Enneagram for the past few years, I think it's fascinating how DH fits the Enneagram 9's approach to life and how we get to watch him wake up from a deep sleep over the show's run.

Enneagram 9s usually feel they need to suppress their needs and desires in order to maintain peace, first in their families as they're growing up, and then later in life. It's said that they try hard to maintain peace with other people. So they are patient, perceptive of other people, and steady and stable. I think of all the Enneagram numbers, the 9s are one of the kindest and one of the most likeable.

However, because they also want to maintain peace internally, they'll also disconnect, disengage, and withdraw if they're feeling overwhelmed by the demands of the world in a given moment. They're also not as ambitious as others, since it can be tiring to exert themselves to achieve and climb the ladder. They're Peacemakers, so in general they avoid conflict instead of addressing it head-on or asserting themselves. So they can start "merging" with other people, putting other people's needs and wants before their own. They end up reacting to people and situations because they want to please others.

BUT they can also be really stubborn and when they feel like a value or principle has been violated, they can hold their ground and start fighting. (I'm married to a 9 so I've seen all this play out :).) Enneagram 9s can hold a lot of anger and this can burst out, too, especially when other people violate said deeply-held values. Expressing this anger healthily, and learning to assert themselves in healthy ways to obtain what they need and want - while staying kind and perceptive to others - is part of their self-awareness and growth track.

I could see all of this in Dong Hoon.

With his family:

- Eomma said DH rarely expressed his needs or desires as he was growing up.

- He was the steady and stable brother, the straight man to SH's colorful emotions and KH's unhinged anger. He cared about their needs; one example was when he financially helped out with Sang Hoon's daughter's wedding.

- In Episode 4, he held Ki Hoon back from going to beat up the condo villa owner in Episode 4. He didn't want KH to make a scene.

- The condo villa owner pissed him off, though, because he humiliated SH in front of their eomma. So after he mustered up some courage by pondering a while, buying cigarettes, and throwing them away, he confronted the guy in an awesome showdown.

At Saman E and C:

- He was kind to his staff, but they also railed that he was overlooked and didn't stand up for himself (Episode 5).

- Also at work, he had been demoted from the Design Team to the Safety Team, and though it hurt him greatly he didn't question it.

- Half of the managing directors respected him and wanted to promote him, but they also ignored his protests of not wanting to advance.

- In Episode 10, when the managing directors met with him again about the possible promotion, he said, "I didn't want to engage in conflicts and compete, so I wanted to avoid this if possible. I'm going to face it. I want to do a good job." He was ready now. This was HUGE.

- In multiple episodes, he started confronting Do Joon Young, after being resentful but passive around him. By the end, DH no longer waited for DJY to go down an elevator first, but stalked into the elevator and left DJY behind. He didn't need to maintain false peace with DJY any longer but was willing to hold him accountable to his actions with both Yoon Hee and Ji An.

- In Episode 13, during his final interview to become a director, DH engaged fully with all the questions and defended JA powerfully. He didn't care about keeping the peace with Director Yoon; he just wanted the truth to come out and wasn't willing to throw JA under the bus (which he kinda did in Episode 9 when he apologized to Team Three for "picking the wrong person").

- After the time skip, he had gotten what he needed and wanted from his professional life. He had resigned from Saman and had set up his own company with the staff he regarded so highly. He was back to doing what he loved, all aspects of structural engineering without all the politics and infighting of a big corporation. 

With Yoon Hee:

- This poor marriage. DH had disengaged and disconnected from YH a long time ago, partly due to her conversations about leaving the neighborhood and hating his friends. I imagine that in the beginning of their marriage, he really did want to please her and show her he loved her. However, leaving Hugye and his family would violate his sense of what family and duty meant to him, especially if his father had already passed away and his mom needed DH around. DH may have felt overwhelmed by these conflicting responsibilities (between YH and his family), but YH's constant talks with him would have shut him down.

- His anger obviously came out in Episode 11 and 12 when he punched the door and told her how the affair made him feel worthless.

With Ji An:

- In the early episodes, he was kind to JA, but he was always reacting to her and her demands for meals.

- However, when she tried to kiss him, this violated his vows as a married man, and he stopped her right away. He also rallied himself to confront her the next day at the office - but he was consumed with thoughts of it during his commute to work. Confronting her didn't come easily to him but he knew he had to do it.

- He conceded to his team that he had chosen the wrong person (as mentioned above) but then he was determined to find out the truth. He exerted himself and got himself to Choon-Dae's place where he learned about JA's past, and his values were so completely violated by Kwang-Il's actions toward JA that he went to confront KI.

- My heart was racing so fast when he told KI, "I'm warning you. I grew up with three brothers. We fought a lot. I was pretty darn good." (paraphrase). I'd thought passive DH was going to get beat up badly, but he was SO ready for this fight. He channeled his anger in a spectacular way.

- After this he went to Jung-Hee's bar and said, "It feels like every cell in my body was woken up from deep sleep." YESSSSS!!!

- When JA took away the slippers, he asserted himself and ran after her, demanding that she stay in his life and buy him a new pair of slippers. I don't think the old DH would've done this.

- And when JA ran away, DH tirelessly looked for her. He was completely engaged when it came to her, and exerted himself to find her, get her to the hospital, keep her out of jail, and get her to Jung Hee's bar where she would be safe. When it came to JA, DH was not a passive, disengaged man....at all. The words he said to her, too, in his veiled way of telling her how much she meant to him, were a profound expression of his heart.

- When they met after the time skip, for DH to initiate a handshake probably meant he wanted more, eh? :)

These are the examples I can think of for now, but of course there are many more. Over the course of the show we got to watch DH become more like his true core self, and wake up from his numbness. He is so attractive as a fully-engaged person - kind, fighting in healthy ways for those he loves, asserting himself to get his professional needs met, and expressing himself in both his hurt (for example, finally opening up to his brothers about the affair) and his care for others. But his core goodness and integrity never disappear - they just shine brighter for not being hidden anymore.

Sorry I can't include screencaps or GIFs; Netflix doesn't allow for them! If anyone knows how to do them from Netflix let me know.

I saw on Give Me Slippers that Ki Hoon is a mouthpiece for DH and I totally agree with that! I also noticed in my re-watches how Yu Ra is a mouthpiece for Ji An in uncannily precise ways. And in my re-watches I became absorbed by managing director Park Dong-Un and his role in the story. But this is getting long so...more later!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I know not many are following this page anymore :(:), but I was curious if there were deleted scenes included in the DVD/ BluRay releases. Does anyone know if there were, and what they were like?

So during some re-watches Park Dong Un's role became increasingly noticeable and fascinating to me. @justamommany pages back said:

On 5/30/2018 at 11:10 PM, justamom said:

I thought Gwang Il represented the general audience, initially skeptical and mocking their relationship...but he came out of it transformed, just like us.

Totally agree with this! And if Kwang Il is the one who has an intimate look into DH and JA's relationship (like we do, but even more so, since he has access to all the recordings), Managing Director Park Dong Un is the one in the story who actually discovers the truth of everything that's been going on.  He has access to CCTV - he’s the only who consistently does - and he pieces together the truth for everyone in the story. He even gets his hands on DJY's phone records and passes them to DH. His access, power, and even mobility are at a level that no one else has, except perhaps the Chairman. He becomes a major playmaker in MM. Not only that, I realized after my last re-watch that PDU actually saves both DH and JA at different times: DH in the beginning of our story, and JA at the end.

Let me break it down:

Park Dong Un's Access...To Everything

Our first glimpse of PDU is in Episode 1. Through Saman's CCTV, he sees that Director Yoon is trying to woo Director Jung. He's not even using CCTV to check on a security breach or event, he's just hanging out in the Security room and checking up on his fellow directors. Because he can see Director Yoon texting Director Jung, though, he becomes concerned for Dir Jung and sends him to the US for a month to keep him out of trouble. Dang.

spacer.png

Screencaps taken from Viki, which I just started using :)

In Episode 2, Park Dong Un is again in the Security room, trying to unravel the mystery of the bribe that was accidentally sent to Dong Hoon. Thankfully, when the bribe is "found" in the trash and brought to the Security team, PDU is there. He orders the head of the Audit team to keep the find a secret, and later reveals to a very-relieved DH that the money was found. 

PDU also gets to read the email tip-off and learns that they tried to bribe the Managing Director (himself), not the General Manager (DH). He’s amazing in the Directors' meeting when he reveals that he knows what was in the email tip.

spacer.png

His quick mind pieces everything together and he figures out that even though he was the target, Dir. Yoon and DJY also want to fire DH.

Soon after, in Episodes 3 and 4, PDU is demoted and has to move to Busan. But he checks out the CCTV in the Shine bar and sees that something fishy is going on:

spacer.png

In Episode 5, Park Dong Un becomes a major player when he hands DJY's phone records to DH. The show never explains where he got them from, but it doesn't matter. He has them and he urges DH to dig up some dirt about DJY. This leads to a complete breaking open of DH's façade of a happy marriage.

Much later, in Episode 13, we see him with the detective at the police station. The detective shows him CCTV from the streets around Shine bar on the night of the incident:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Then in Episode 14, he's in the investigator's room at the police station when they've caught Ki Bum.

Spoiler

spacer.png

As this sequence unfolds, PDU learns that JA has been wiretapping DH's phone, which shatters the façade that there's a perfectly innocent, non-spying relationship between JA and DH. Poor DH!

As I said, he is the only one in MM with access to CCTV and behind-the-scenes happenings whenever and wherever he needs it, and his access to all of this information helps him find out the truth.

Park Dong Un's Power

Obviously PDU's position and power (and desire) are what enable him to gain access to the Saman CCTV room all the time. But he also has the power to move people around (like sending Dir. Jung to the US for a month) and influence the decision to put DH forward as a candidate in the search for a new Managing Director.

PDU also saves DH in the beginning of the show by revealing the truth about the bribe scheme and enabling DH to keep his job. If it weren't for PDU's standing with the Chairman and with the rest of the Directors, DH may have been done for.

Then toward the end of the show, PDU has the chance to save Ji An from jail by not pressing charges, and he graciously takes it. As powerful and as disgraced as he was, PDU could easily exact extensive revenge on JA and Ki Bum and make them pay for a long time. But he yields his power and allows the two young ones to keep going with their lives.

Also, Park Dong Un is the only one besides Chairman Jang who almost never wears a tie. The rest of the Saman directors always wear ties, but PDU is consistently shown in an open collar and suit coat. This costuming must have been deliberate by PD-nim to reinforce PDU's powerful standing over and above the others throughout the show. Interestingly, though, the only time we do see him wear a tie is in the directors' meeting where he's revealing the truth about the bribe (above). I guess when all the directors are together, they all have to wear ties :).

(As an aside, DH only wears ties once he becomes a Saman director. By the end of Episode 16, though, he’s his own CEO and he moves to the open-collar look himself.)

Spoiler

spacer.png

Just had to squeeze in a shot of DH smiling.

Park Dong Un's Mobility

You'd think that if you were demoted and sent to Busan that you wouldn't see your colleagues very often. But throughout the show, after PDU has gone to Busan, we still see him meeting with the Chairman, going to job sites, and meeting with DH.

Spoiler

spacer.png

I only noticed this during a re-watch (and not during the first watch), because I was thinking about DH and JA and how it seemed like her moving to Busan was like moving to the end of the world. Why did Busan seem so far away, and their parting feel so final? Yet PDU makes the distance seem like nothing, since he's always in touch with his people and has opportunities to see them. His mobility is a stark contrast to DH and JA's mobility.

MM is endlessly rich and fascinating because there's so much to delve into with even supporting characters. When I first watched the show, I just thought PDU was DH's supervisor and ally. Only after seeing him, repeatedly, in some of the same situations (intently staring at CCTV screens :) ) and seeing how authoritative he was, did I realize what a key role he played in the entire story. He's kind of the bomb.

Edited by the_sweetroad
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Apologies if you all have mentioned this before, but one thing I noticed during a re-watch was how often PD-nim focuses on the characters' hands. He tells a story and captures a moment just by having us look at someone's hands, and through this he encourages us to keep paying attention.

These moments of close-ups start at the beginning, with one of our first looks at Ji An being this one:

spacer.png

Our very first glimpse of Yoon Hee is this:

spacer.png

And an absorbed Ki Bum is introduced in a scene of color and noise, when Ji An is trying to call him from the nursing home at night:

spacer.png

Even Chairman Jang's hands are the first thing we see of him:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Dong Hoon gets a completely different treatment, though. Here's our very first look at him: 

Spoiler

spacer.png

As the story progresses, we keep seeing people's hands.

Sang Hoon is expressive with his hands, just as he is with his delivery :)

Spoiler

spacer.png

After Dong Hoon discovers the affair, he goes into the bathroom at the practice field and just sits, his hands conveying defeat:

Spoiler

spacer.png

This is mirrored in his face as the camera pans up:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And after Kwang Il sees DH and JA sharing a nice drink together, he isn't too happy as his loan partner asks him what's up between JA and the new guy:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Halmeoni says so much with her hands, of course. Here she expresses gratitude, comfort, and deep relief and thankfulness:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(I just love this last photo so much.)

DH's poor hands after he punches the door:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And the awkwardness of this sitdown with Yoon Hee:

Spoiler

spacer.png

This moment is always heartwarming to watch, even if Ji An's apprehension comes through. Jung Hee is just so effervescent and welcoming, and JA isn't too sure about it:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Jung Hee's not always so lucky, though. There are some things she holds onto tightly but she just can't have:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And Gyeom Duk is so affected he needs days to recover:

Spoiler

spacer.png

I thought this was interesting, when Eomma sees YH at the party for DH's promotion and they have a tearful (and uncomfortable) exchange:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah, YH, why are you so rough?

When DH finds out the truth about the wiretap, he has to keep it together and get his message across:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And JA, caught out, is so penitent:

Spoiler

spacer.png

DH goes to the police station to see Ki Bum:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And later he finally, finally finds her.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Meanwhile, Kwang Il has been listening in and he can't help but be affected:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That night, Jung Hee welcomes JA to her place. I love how she's holding JA's backpack:

Spoiler

spacer.png

A beautiful, last happy visit to Halmeoni:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a nice enough drive for DH and JA on their way to the police station:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Back in Hugye, Gyeom Duk seeks out JH and they finally get the closure they need.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Sadly, Halmeoni passes away soon afterward.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

The way JA holds Halmeoni's picture reminds me of how JH held JA's backpack earlier. JA treasures Halmeoni and holds her precious photo, and JH quickly treasures JA and holds her backpack....?

During the funeral, KI runs from the private detective and eventually finds a place where he can send off the USBs to DH. In the end, the hands that repeatedly abused JA have the chance to do something to protect her and DH. As he walks away, his hands are loose by his side and he looks lost in thought, trying to remember the boy he once was.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

So...what to make of all this? Why are there so many scenes of hands? I think PD-nim really wanted to draw us in, over the course of 16 episodes, to slowly but surely notice what people's hands were saying. In doing so, we would gain confidence that we were understanding the emotions and inner life of these dear people. Sometimes the words are obscure and veiled...but the hands don't lie. It's like what someone else said earlier, that we know the code because PD-nim and writer-nim taught it to us. In the case of the hands, Show is telling us to keep paying attention, because the hands are speaking significant things, and true things.

Which, by the end of our story, leads us to:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Truth.

P.S. Interestingly, I didn't notice many close-ups of Yu Ra or Ki Hoon's hands at all. I wonder if this is because PD-nim actually wants us to just pay attention to their words instead, since KH speaks for DH and - more on this later - YR speaks for JA.

Edited by the_sweetroad
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Yu Ra as spokesperson for Ji An.

Throughout the show, we see close-ups of the other characters’ hands. But I noticed Show doesn't focus on YR and KH's hands much…and I do think this is because the show wants us to pay attention to what they’re actually saying.

There were some key moments where what Yu Ra says out loud mirrors Ji An and Dong Hoon’s situation. Either it's a JA/DH situation that Show has already shown us, or it's a future JA/DH conversation and Yu Ra says something that foreshadows it.

In Episode 5, Ji An sees DH humiliated by Director Yoon, first at work and then at the company dinner. Right after the dinner, he lies down by the train tracks (eventually getting back up because he’s not wearing expensive underpants :)), and JA watches over him. The next day, Yu Ra goes to Jung Hee’s bar and says to Ki Hoon, “Thank you."

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

"Thank you. For failing. I think I can live now. I think you are very lovable." (snicker. I mean, honestly.)

This is a roundabout parallel to JA saying later, “I saw what a human was for the first time.... I liked everything about you," and, “I lived for the first time because I met you.” For JA, like for YR, being human was failing and getting back up. And for YR, watching KH fail made her feel she could live. And watching DH be humiliated and get back up again in Episode 5 made JA feel that she could live.

In Episode 6, DH says he’ll pretend not to know anything if he hears something about JA, and JA wishes everyone could just know about her past. A tenuous friendship continues to grow between them. Right after this scene, YR goes to the cleaning office and says, “In the winter I just wanted to crawl into a hole."

Spoiler

spacer.png

But now, "My heart feels like spring."

Spoiler

spacer.png

It's so interesting that she says these things right after DH extends confidentiality and a listening ear to JA. You can see that JA's heart is beginning to open in this episode and that their new friendship is giving her a bit of hope that she's not so alone in the world. And YR's conversation (or monologue) in the cleaning office foreshadows what JA and DH talk about later as they walk home together in Episode 8:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

In Episode 7, Yu Ra visits Jung Hee’s bar and says she’s thankful they’re all failures. (I mean, honestly.) The fact that they're all failures, but happy, gives her comfort.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

Upon re-watching the series, the fact she said the word comfort jumped out to me, knowing how important the word is to the rest of the show. And YR finding comfort with KH and his group of friends corresponds to JA finding comfort and acceptance with them, too. YR just says it out loud as early as Episode 7, whereas it takes JA a while longer to meet them and experience their welcome.

In Episode 8, YR has her disastrous audition. But notice what she says!

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Too funny that the lines she has to recite are so uncannily accurate to JA and her situation. This is the first episode we hear that JA likes DH, too (when Kwang Il asks her if she likes DH and she says yes) - and YR has already said it during her audition.

Episode 8 is also when YR asks KH for a hug. We all know what that's foreshadowing.

Spoiler

spacer.png

Moving on to Episode 9, DH tells Team Three that he picked the wrong person. Overhearing his dismissal of her hurts JA a lot. YR visits the cleaning office, full of self-doubt as she anticipates auditioning again, and she says, “I told myself I could do it.” This could be a parallel to JA feeling like she had had DH in her corner as a friend... 

Spoiler

spacer.png

...but now, YR says, “I feel like running away,” and "I want to die."

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

This reflects a hurt JA wanting to run away and ignore DH because of how he's acting toward her after finding out about her thievery.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

As an aside, Ki Hoon foreshadows something in this conversation, too.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

!!!!!

What he says totally speaks for a future DH, when DH finds out JA is moving to Busan. As we know, KH in this episode talks about it like he's in Notting Hill and YR is a celebrity coming to visit him. But these two phrases for sure mirror DH’s heart in Episode 16 when he sadly realizes JA is about to leave for good.

At the end of Episode 10, DH hits JA on the back of the head. Earlier in the episode, though, YR and KH are on the phone and YR says, “While you were abusing me so much, my whole body felt like it was in a state of electric shock.”

Spoiler

spacer.png

Netflix has different subtitles, "When you scolded me badly before, I didn't know what to do because the shock was too terrible." As another poster observed, the concept of shock (or electric shock) recurs in the show. It's so curious that YR says this before DH smacks JA, before DH scolds JA for taking away his slippers in Episode 11, and before JA calls DH in Episode 14 when he's by the electrical hazard sign. Through YR, Show is priming us to feel how jarring DH and JA will find some of these subsequent interactions.

By Episode 11, DH has hit JA and their relationship has fractured outright. I think they both keenly feel the loss of connection. YR has been going through her own hardship while on her movie set, since the director is constantly scolding her. KH visits her and she says:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

YR almost perfectly reflects JA’s feelings at this point. JA is embarrassed after confessing to DH and being on the receiving end of DH's violent response. YR wants to disappear altogether, and JA wants to disappear from Saman by having DH fire her. The one difference is that YR wants everyone to be destroyed together, but JA wants to sacrifice her job so that DH can get promoted.

After Episode 11, YR’s storyline changes and is more focused on her new relationship with KH.

And perhaps because JA is more vocal about her feelings from Episode 12 on, YR doesn't need to be her spokesperson any longer. 

I have to admit Yu Ra grew on me a lot. In the beginning she was so annoying and insufferable, just like KH felt about her. She was always showing up, unwanted, and she never took a hint. However, this distaste for her character changed when she stood up for KH when her colleagues were mocking him. When she went to JH's bar and acknowledged how much comfort she drew from the Hugye gang, I realized she was deeper and more thoughtful than she appeared. Her story got more engaging after that. Now, when I rewatch the show, I'm fascinated by the things coming out of her mouth. Especially knowing how the story between JA and DH develops, it's hilarious how unabashedly and accurately YR gives voice to JA's feelings.

MM really is so well-crafted and brilliant.

Edited by the_sweetroad
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Other random things and interesting moments!

(And again, apologies if folks have already commented on these way earlier.)

- Dong Hoon goes to the convenience store, buys cigarettes, and then throws them away on two different occasions.

spacer.png

The first time takes place in Episode 2 when he's lost the bribe. He goes to the store, buys it all, throws it all away, and then the next thing he does is visit Yoon Hee in her office and tell her what's happening. One thinks nothing of this until Episode 4 when he goes to the store, buys it all, throws it all away, and then the next thing he does is visit the condo villa owner and force him to bring the fruit basket to Sang Hoon. Smoking is supposed to give him courage to confront the condo villa owner. Which makes me wonder if writer-nim wanted to convey that smoking was supposed to give him courage to go to Yoon Hee and share about the bribe.  If this was writer-nim's intent, it was an early sign that their marriage wasn't as strong as it should have been. You'd think he'd feel comfortable telling YH about the missing bribe without needing courage...but he didn't.

- In Episode 6, we see a curious scene where DH goes to the pharmacy and seems to take a pill or something.

spacer.png

When YH finds him at home later, she sees this:

spacer.png

and says:

Spoiler

spacer.png

The first time I saw this, I was like, ????? It seemed so random.

Fast-forward to Episode 13 when Sang Hoon and Ki Hoon learn YH has cheated.

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wait! Jam-kkan-man!

So DH actually was sick from heartache and now KH gives the narrative of that curious scene. Writer-nim was ingenious for inserting that scene in Episode 6, without much comment, and then bringing it back around in Episode 13 to tell us what occurred back then.

- In Episode 10, another seemingly random moment happens. YH visits the brothers at work for the first time, and as they go up the stairs, KH says:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Inside the office, SH and YH catch up while KH looks for a place to put the plant:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

He finally finds a place for it:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And he likes what he sees:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Knowing that PD-nim always has a reason for everything, what does this sequence mean? To me, I think when KH says, "I have the key," it means we're supposed to pay attention to him. So we follow him around the office as he tries to find a good place for the plant. We're happy when he succeeds, and we're content when he's content with the "framing" of the "scene."

Going deeper, though, I think even in this scene he's the "key" to DH and he's showing us DH's inner world. YH is beautiful (and accomplished, smart, etc.) like the plant, but now that DH knows she has cheated, he wonders what to do and where he should "place" her. At this point, he's made the decision to keep up the appearance of a happy marriage. Even though he's dying inside, he's content with the framing of the scene.

(It's not until the following episode that DH finds out that YH knows that he knows, and after that their marriage really shatters open.)

- Previously on this thread, someone mentioned Ji An and the red cross, the juxtaposition of the two symbolizing how she saves DH during their time together. After reading that here, I noticed two other times where the cross is shown.

In Episode 8 when they're walking home together, JA pauses right underneath the cross, reinforcing her relationship to it:

Spoiler

spacer.png

And in Episode 13, when JA stands outside her door before running away, the camera focuses in on the cross and then blurs it out as it pans to JA:

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

DH doesn't know it yet, but she's leaving his side, and I think the blurring of the cross (and JA) foreshadow the bewilderment and disorientation that DH is about to go through. :(

- When DH looks for JA in Episode 14, he knocks on her door but doesn't try to break in:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Compare that to Kwang Il in Episode 16, when he's also looking for her. He speeds over to her place and bursts in:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Even when he's desperate to find her, DH never violates JA's boundaries. Yet KI constantly does.

- When DH asks YH if she knows JA in Episode 15, his chair is set in a circular carpet. I thought it subtly, smartly represented how alone he felt.

Spoiler

spacer.png

- Last but not least, after JA leaves for Busan and DH has his cathartic breakdown, there are several ladybugs on the leaves outside KH's window!

Spoiler

spacer.png

Ladybugs begin the show, and they begin the time skip. New beginnings indeed.

:heart:

Edited by the_sweetroad
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

On 7/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, the_sweetroad said:

Other random things and interesting moments!

(And again, apologies if folks have already commented on these way earlier.)

- Dong Hoon goes to the convenience store, buys cigarettes, and then throws them away on two different occasions.

The first time takes place in Episode 2 when he's lost the bribe. He goes to the store, buys it all, throws it all away, and then the next thing he does is visit Yoon Hee in her office and tell her what's happening. One thinks nothing of this until Episode 4 when he goes to the store, buys it all, throws it all away, and then the next thing he does is visit the condo villa owner and force him to bring the fruit basket to Sang Hoon. Smoking is supposed to give him courage to confront the condo villa owner. Which makes me wonder if writer-nim wanted to convey that smoking was supposed to give him courage to go to Yoon Hee and share about the bribe.  If this was writer-nim's intent, it was an early sign that their marriage wasn't as strong as it should have been. You'd think he'd feel comfortable telling YH about the missing bribe without needing courage...but he didn't.

- In Episode 6, we see a curious scene where DH goes to the pharmacy and seems to take a pill or something.

When YH finds him at home later, she sees this:

and says:

The first time I saw this, I was like, ????? It seemed so random.

Fast-forward to Episode 13 when Sang Hoon and Ki Hoon learn YH has cheated.

Wait! Jam-kkan-man!

So DH actually was sick from heartache and now KH gives the narrative of that curious scene. Writer-nim was ingenious for inserting that scene in Episode 6, without much comment, and then bringing it back around in Episode 13 to tell us what occurred back then.

- In Episode 10, another seemingly random moment happens. YH visits the brothers at work for the first time, and as they go up the stairs, KH says:

Inside the office, SH and YH catch up while KH looks for a place to put the plant:

He finally finds a place for it:

And he likes what he sees:

Knowing that PD-nim always has a reason for everything, what does this sequence mean? To me, I think when KH says, "I have the key," it means we're supposed to pay attention to him. So we follow him around the office as he tries to find a good place for the plant. We're happy when he succeeds, and we're content when he's content with the "framing" of the "scene."

Going deeper, though, I think even in this scene he's the "key" to DH and he's showing us DH's inner world. YH is beautiful (and accomplished, smart, etc.) like the plant, but now that DH knows she has cheated, he wonders what to do and where he should "place" her. At this point, he's made the decision to keep up the appearance of a happy marriage. Even though he's dying inside, he's content with the framing of the scene.

(It's not until the following episode that DH finds out that YH knows that he knows, and after that their marriage really shatters open.)

- Previously on this thread, someone mentioned Ji An and the red cross, the juxtaposition of the two symbolizing how she saves DH during their time together. After reading that here, I noticed two other times where the cross is shown.

In Episode 8 when they're walking home together, JA pauses right underneath the cross, reinforcing her relationship to it:

And in Episode 13, when JA stands outside her door before running away, the camera focuses in on the cross and then blurs it out as it pans to JA:

DH doesn't know it yet, but she's leaving his side, and I think the blurring of the cross (and JA) foreshadow the bewilderment and disorientation that DH is about to go through. :(

- When DH looks for JA in Episode 14, he knocks on her door but doesn't try to break in:

Compare that to Kwang Il in Episode 16, when he's also looking for her. He speeds over to her place and bursts in:

Even when he's desperate to find her, DH never violates JA's boundaries. Yet KI constantly does.

- When DH asks YH if she knows JA in Episode 15, his chair is set in a circular carpet. I thought it subtly, smartly represented how alone he felt.

- Last but not least, after JA leaves for Busan and DH has his cathartic breakdown, there are several ladybugs on the leaves outside KH's window!

Ladybugs begin the show, and they begin the time skip. New beginnings indeed.

:heart:

You’re so on point with your analysis. I love it!

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 3

Hello! I have returned to the Soompi forum after many years and all thanks to My Mister. :wub:

Netflix approached me with the series this week, I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner, I would have liked to discuss all the details with you.:tears:

Thanks for creating the topic, I will read it with enthusiasm!:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Hello!!! :heythere:

I haven’t been to this forum in ages but I’m so glad there are people who are still discovering this gem of a drama.  I don’t know when I’ll find another one of the same caliber. 

I just hope Lee Sung Kyun and IU/Lee Ji Eun get to work together again soon. They had such great chemistry in My Mister and was the main reason why the story worked so well. 

• Like 4

On 7/7/2021 at 8:41 PM, Zandra N said:

You’re so on point with your analysis. I love it!

Aww, thanks! :) Did you just watch the show?

15 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Hello!!! 

I haven’t been to this forum in ages but I’m so glad there are people who are still discovering this gem of a drama.  I don’t know when I’ll find another one of the same caliber. 

I just hope Lee Sung Kyun and IU/Lee Ji Eun get to work together again soon. They had such great chemistry in My Mister and was the main reason why the story worked so well. 

I know. MM has changed my life. All of the posts from you guys who followed the drama so faithfully as it aired have been so helpful, too.

And to see LSK and IU together again would  seriously be so great. As long as he didn't play her father, hahaha. I don't think I could handle that!

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Like 2