[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

7 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Would someone who has recently rewatched ep 11 & 12 care to enlighten me on this? Maybe @akhenaten? I posted this along with some other questions a few pages back, but this one bothers me the most:

Why doesn't DH regret it after hitting JA? I thought he considers that the most disgraceful thing a guy could do? He acts like he never hit her, that things are "cool" between them, and that's what bothers me.

Another question from an old episode: How did DH know to go to that particular campfire site and was it a mere coincidence that JY and the Chairman happened to be there at the same time?

@h2ogirl  Interesting name...could that be your major?   To answer your first question (why engineer did not regret hitting Ji-an?), this reader will rephrase it with a question.... How would you, as the Ajusshi, apologizes to Ji-an?  You notice that this is a very difficult subject to approach.  Ji-an just declared herself and even shouted that Park Dong Hoon likes Lee Ji An to the whole neighborhood.  The fact that it is difficult for him to talk about... is because HE TRULY LIKES HER...and he DOES NOT WANT TO ADMIT THAT EVEN TO HIMSELF!  So he does not want to bring up that subject, shunting it like a pariah!!!  Since they are soulmates and know each other thought, he knows that she knows that he did not mean to slap her on the shoulder and would forgive him.

To your 2nd question, on the last part of episode 6, when the Chairman came to the company, he and CEO discussed their camping trip at the camp ground, in the presence of Engineer Dong Hoon...  so he just have to ask the secretary and voila... camping trip a trois...to the consternation of the CEO on episode 7.

By the way if you take tests soon, good luck.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

Men do have opinion too....hahaha  Kidding aside, this reader empathize with engineer dong hoon... and also with Ji-an and admires people like that.  Would hire him and adopt her as a daughter without a 2nd thought.

By the way, you women use very unusual terms   OTP, Shipping etc...   the only ship I know is what we work on.  Hahahah!!!

My apologies for assuming you are female. We have another male chingu here @dvdwyn which I enjoyed reading his insights. OTP is one true pairing - just a kdrama term fyi. 

37 minutes ago, mujay said:

Ooow, why you just realize now:D lol.

First time i read @tiger457_stv, is cute man when he says, "this reader"lol,, does he tried to disguished his identity in logic matter but he have soft romantic vibe with all his logic romantic joke..lol.

I knew you are soompier man:lol:

Btw 2 days more for our DH-Jian sweet wrenching relationship.

@mujay dreadful wait my friend for new episodes. Is it still two days away?:confused: Episodes 13-14 better be epic especially this production has been torturing us for 2 weeks. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Would someone who has recently rewatched ep 11 & 12 care to enlighten me on this? Maybe @akhenaten? I posted this along with some other questions a few pages back, but this one bothers me the most:

Why doesn't DH regret it after hitting JA? I thought he considers that the most disgraceful thing a guy could do? He acts like he never hit her, that things are "cool" between them, and that's what bothers me.

Another question from an old episode: How did DH know to go to that particular campfire site and was it a mere coincidence that JY and the Chairman happened to be there at the same time?

Hello @h2ogirl:)

I think Dong Hoon immediately regretted hitting her. If you watch that scene again, you’ll see how shocked his expression was the minute he hit Ji An and she fell down. Then when Ji an walked away he didn’t leave immediately and even when he also walked away, he kept on turning back to her and even looked like he was about to go after her.  I just don’t know how JiAn would’ve reacted if he ran after her and apologised because that might spoil her plan of making it look like he doesn’t like her at all. I’d have to rewatch episode 11 again to see if there are scenes of him showing his remorse.  But I think that scene of him telling Ji An to buy him another pair of slippers was his way of saying he was sorry for what he did and he is grateful for her gift.  At least I think Ji An already saw it that way because of what she said to him on the train after saying she stayed late at the office to wait for him because she missed him. (Awww. May I just insert here how much I love that scene?  So simple and straightforward and so quietly done.  But it hits you with an impact that takes your breath away for all its stark simplicity and sincerity. :wub:)  She actually said he made her like him more because of what he said and I guess she didn’t need to hear him say the exact words “I’m sorry I hit you” anymore. She already understood that, in between his words of not making uncomfortable relationships and going to their relatives’ funerals and greeting each other warmly years from now, he was apologising to her for making her think he was rejecting her and for hitting her.  Between the two of them, a lot of communication is non-verbal and I think both of them already knew without hearing the other asked forgiveness and has been forgiven. 

As to the camping foray, I think he got information from someone on Joon Young’s whereabouts. He could have called the Executive Office assistants to simply ask for the CEO’s availability and they would have told him Joon Young is with the Chairman. Or maybe Park Dong Woon tipped him. But I think the writer didn’t think it had to be shown anymore how he knew. Anyway, Dong Hoon is actually very resourceful when he wants to get something done. :)

I hope I helped answer your questions though I’m only going by my own assessment of what I watch. :)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

My apologies for assuming you are female. We have another male chingu here @dvdwyn which I enjoyed reading his insights. OTP is one true pairing - just a kdrama term fyi. 

@mujay dreadful wait my friend for new episodes. Is it still two days away?:confused: Episodes 13-14 better be epic especially this production has been torturing us for 2 weeks. 

@timidjock0819   That's interesting.  This reader thought that OTP means One-Two-Parts  OR On-the-Path OR Officially-The-Pair.  worse than morse code!  hahahah

• Like 1
  • LOL 12

I may not know what i want or how i want to end with DH and JA. But i really want that monk guy to come back and be with JH. I hope want to end at KH and YR's wedding. I dont want it to end  any funeral despite this show have this odd liking to funeral as something dream or ambition. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 4

1 minute ago, tiger457_stv said:

@timidjock0819   That's interesting.  This reader thought that OTP means One-Two-Parts  OR On-the-Path OR Officially-The-Pair.  worse than morse code!  hahahah

Hahaha, @tiger457_stv :D

Nice to know we have men sharing their thoughts on this drama. It always helps to get the perspective of the other side when it comes to things like this.  As the book says, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. :D

Don’t worry.  You’re not alone in your confusion. I’m female but when I first got into KDrama, I was totally lost in all the jargon...OTP, shipping, skinship. Now, my brain has come up with its own index of KDrama terminologies.  I’m sure our other KDrama chingus would be more than happy to brief us on the etymology of these words. :)

• Like 12

Annyeong-haseyo, @akhenaten! :wink:

@tiger457_stv Annyeong-haseyo, sunbae-nim! Thanks for looking out for me. I promise that I'm not neglecting my studies to focus on the awesome discussions y'all are having here. I'm sure you know how stressful / draining engineering can be - chilling here and reading all your analyses restores life and energy in me again. Thank God my exams will be over soon. Can't wait to devote more time to geek about this drama~

Idk how my username could be related to my major. Water engineering? :tongue: Close though. It's actually chemical engineering (cue "Aww! Must be tough :( "). Yes, it's tough, but someone's gotta do the hard math! And I willingly chose this path - no need to pity me.

Thanks for replying, both of you! Now I can breathe again, haha.

I do think he looked apologetic in his restlessness and demeanor towards JA following the confession, but what you guys said makes a lot of sense too.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, berny said:

You're a guy ?? :o

Wow cool, very few guys join soompi forums :wink:

Im a guy as well ;o 

2 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

Men do have opinion too....hahaha  Kidding aside, this reader empathize with engineer dong hoon... and also with Ji-an and admires people like that.  Would hire him and adopt her as a daughter without a 2nd thought.

By the way, you women use very unusual terms   OTP, Shipping etc...   the only ship I know is what we work on.  Hahahah!!!

guys unite :o

This may be off topic or w/e but i think this Drama changed the goal posts for Korean drama's for me. It proves that drama's dont have to be super drama heavy or focused around super young actors and those cheesy plot's.  I think this drama might turn me off of light hearted drama's i think i prefer the more serious stuff. 

I think ill rank this second on my all time dramalist behind Empress KI , I love Empress KI due to Ji Chang-wook whose acting blew me away.

Im a big Fantasy/Wuxia/Historical fan so this drama will be the first non Wuxia/Fantasy/Historical in my top 5. 

• Like 19

9 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Chairman seems awfully familiar with DH. Having been with the company as long as he has it's not unlikely that DH has been on a camping trip or two early in his career at the company.

And since Chairman is a habitual creature I'm sure that actual site/plot is owned by the chairman as well

People have fishing camps in Louisiana, which elsewhere would be something like saying we're going to visit the family cabin. So perhaps it's the same thing.

DH not being willing to play the suck up game probably hadn't visited the place in years, in contrast to JY (who is as close as toilet paper) has regular access to possibly restock the Chairman's spot with supplies. (And a little adultery).

• Like 6
  • LOL 6

41 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

@tiger457_stv Annyeong-haseyo, sunbae-nim! Thanks for looking out for me. I promise that I'm not neglecting my studies to focus on the awesome discussions y'all are having here. I'm sure you know how stressful / draining engineering can be - chilling here and reading all your analyses restores life and energy in me again. Thank God my exams will be over soon. Can't wait to devote more time to geek about this drama~

Idk how my username could be related to my major. Water engineering? :tongue: Close though. It's actually chemical engineering (cue "Aww! Must be tough :( "). Yes, it's tough, but someone's gotta do the hard math! And I willingly chose this path - no need to pity me.

I do think he looked apologetic in his restlessness and demeanor towards JA following the confession, but what you guys said makes a lot of sense too.

You’re welcome @h2ogirl:)

@tiger457_stv is right. Dong Hoon wouldn’t and couldn’t discuss it outright because it’s an uncomfortable subject for him.  He does like Ji An. A lot.  Maybe a bit too much for his own comfort and peace of mind. And he knows he’s still very much married regardless of the state his marriage is in. And jumping ahead of the story, can you imagine if he decides to file a divorce and word gets around that he actually likes this young woman he’s being rumored with?  It can jeopardize his stand.  But of course that’s thinking far ahead. :)

His actions are very much in keeping with the kind of personality he has: very reserved and controlled emotionally, very logical and rational. And not very demonstrative with his affections. Isn’t that the reason why Yoon Hee felt so lonely with him?  Ji An, on the other hand, understands him implicitly even without him saying much, that’s why they just click. :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

@h2ogirl  this reader guessed that you're a chemical engineering major by the H2O.  since that is your major you will get a kick out of this:

NH4Cl + H2O -----> endothermic reaction  (cold ICE)

2 Li metal + H2O ----> Li2O + H2  exothermic reaction (spark and Searing Heat)

the caustic Ammonium chloride represents Lawyer Kang Yoon Hee

the volatile  Lithium is Lee Ji-an

the  calm and SAFE Water is Engineer Park Dong Hoon

It's amazing how harmless water when combining with these agents can create completely different chemical reactions!!!

In any case good luck to you Water.   You should be able to find job easily with your major!

2 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

You’re welcome @h2ogirl:)

@tiger457_stv is right. Dong Hoon wouldn’t and couldn’t discuss it outright because it’s an uncomfortable subject for him. You must take into account the kind of personality he has: very reserved and controlled emotionally, very logical and rational. And not very demonstrative with his affections. Isn’t that the reason why Yoon Hee felt so lonely with him?  Ji An, on the other hand, understands him implicitly even without him saying much, that’s why they just click. :)

He was aware of her from the moment of the lady bug, and that awareness never ended!  Her awareness of him neither!  2 truly strange...but endearing individuals!

• Like 10
  • LOL 6

53 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@h2ogirl  this reader guessed that you're a chemical engineering major by the H2O.  since that is your major you will get a kick out of this:

NH4Cl + H2O -----> endothermic reaction  (cold ICE)

2 Li metal + H2O ----> Li2O + H2  exothermic reaction (spark and Searing Heat)

the caustic Ammonium chloride represents Lawyer Kang Yoon Hee

the volatile  Lithium is Lee Ji-an

the  calm and SAFE Water is Engineer Park Dong Hoon

It's amazing how harmless water when combining with these agents can create completely different chemical reactions!!!

In any case good luck to you Water.   You should be able to find job easily with your major!

He was aware of her from the moment of the lady bug, and that awareness never ended!  Her awareness of him neither!  2 truly strange...but endearing individuals!

@tiger457_stv  @h2ogirl  I’m not an engineering major or anything remotely close to chemistry but I thoroughly enjoyed that chemical equation representing Yoon Hee and Ji An. Made me wish I paid better attention to my chemistry in high school. But I was being stubborn and rebellious then. :tongue:

Good luck on your studies @h2ogirl! May Engineer Park’s excellence in his field inspire you in your own. Hehehe.

@tiger457_stv hahaha on the ladybug encounter!  How can they forget each other after that? Here was Dong Hoon doing his darndest best to save the little creature, only to have Ji An put all his efforts in vain with a single whack. Shows the difference in their personalities very clearly from the get-go.  He avoids drastic measures as much as possible while she prefers the quickest and most efficient way to deal with the situation. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Nice to know the guys joining and know their points of view here too ...well i am all female .. who has the hots for the Engineer.. 

Which is cool, cause i like unli- coffee too coffee2-smiley.gif 

And can chug a beer beer-chugger.gif   just like JiAn

• Like 8
  • LOL 6

14 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

This scene is preceded by one at the office where Dong Hoon is told that Deputy Kim has a crush on a female colleague, but that the  lady already has a boyfriend. His reaction is that Deputy Kim "is letting his imagination run wild, that's why he feels like he's going crazy. Those kinds of emotions will be gone as soon as he gets a good slap on the head." And Dong Hoon proceeds to do just that, to give the poor guy a good slap on the head. Ji An witnesses all of this.

qlWfbgK.jpg

So, this is what Ji An refers to in the evening scene. She asks Dong Hoon to give her a slap like that, to rid her of her "pathetic" emotions. Unfortunately for Dong Hoon, when he finally does slap her on the head, she overdoes the physical effect and falls to the ground. But this is not because of being hit violently, it's for theatrical effect – for the lurking photographer.

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, Sakari said:

So, this is what Ji An refers to in the evening scene. She asks Dong Hoon to give her a slap like that, to rid her of her "pathetic" emotions. Unfortunately for Dong Hoon, when he finally does slap her on the head, she overdoes the physical effect and falls to the ground. But this is not because of being hit violently, it's for theatrical effect – for the lurking photographer

Definitely, I have to agree with you and add my insight for everyone who is bothered with the "hit". It was a slight slap on the head but JA dropped on the ground for the photographer. Besides, if she didn't act like that I think it would've looked like DH was patting her head on the photo. It was all calculated by JA beforehand. It's funny to even consider that DH would act violently toward a woman let alone JA. He didn't even lay a finger on his wife while she confessed her affair.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

Cool we up to 4 guys now including me pretty soon we can start a baseball team or something!

5 hours ago, Wotad said:

Im a guy as well ;o 

guys unite :o

This may be off topic or w/e but i think this Drama changed the goal posts for Korean drama's for me. It proves that drama's dont have to be super drama heavy or focused around super young actors and those cheesy plot's.  I think this drama might turn me off of light hearted drama's i think i prefer the more serious stuff. 

I think ill rank this second on my all time dramalist behind Empress KI , I love Empress KI due to Ji Chang-wook whose acting blew me away.

Im a big Fantasy/Wuxia/Historical fan so this drama will be the first non Wuxia/Fantasy/Historical in my top 5. 

I dont really care much for series drams dont like the feelings I get watching them its to real lol.

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

On 5/3/2018 at 6:36 AM, aisling said:

I’d personally love to watch a drama about Jung Hee and Gyum Duk. Even though we know little about their story, I feel intrigued just by a fact that Jung Hee feels miserable even 20 years after he left her. How much she must have loved him to feel this way? What happened that she couldn’t get married and move on with her life? When JH was first introduced I was wondering why such a beautiful woman ran a bar by herself. But it looks like she’s suffering so much that she just wants to pass out every night to forget all about her life. She’s so extremely lonely and broken it makes my heart ache. Knowing that Gyum Duk is at peace with the decision he made years ago I want JH to finally get over him!

Thank you. Me too these two intrigue me and I was hoping more scenes of them too. It seems from the picture that Gyum Duk has put on his formal monk clothes to receive his guests. If DH accompanied JH to the monastery, I love him more for doing so. They are both his very dear friends and to support JH is quite moving. I am anticipating a very touching dialogue from this ending. 

• Like 13

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't think he does either. :wink: Like most of us, he would love to be left alone to do his job and stay out of the demands of bureaucracy and office politics altogether but sadly... he can't. The light bulb came on in Episode 5 for him. He's been trying to do the right thing, staying out of all the behind the scenes bickering but that hasn't worked. I suppose now he knows that to survive in that job, he has to play the game... and good for him. He is good at his job, he's ethical and his subordinates respect him. Even his superiors know this because they haven't tried to get rid of him until now. And that's because of personal issues. I love that shot of him walking past the construction team room as he reminisces of better days. 

@40somethingahjumma I am happy to see you here. and read your posts. Well, for sure the Chairman has been trying to invite him to dinner and foot volleyball game and now another meal invitation in front of everyone who consider those invitations as political and all the personal issues he can't avoid. There is Yoon, who is so jealous and afraid of him. 

• Like 8

This show does a great job on building on what's come before. It's beautifully and quietly cinematic. Although the action moves along slowly, the characters and relationships are so compelling that one almost never notices it.

Is it odd that I find Yoon Hee the least likeable person in the show? Even less so than Do Joon Young. At least he doesn't pretend what he's all about. I understand that she's disgruntled about her married life. I get that she's looking for an outlet for all her unmet needs but you'd think she'd work out what sort of man DJY is by now. From where I'm looking the two of them are in it for the thrill of the chase... the secret rendezvous, the secret phone calls... there's not a lot of love between the two. The irony is that the two of them are working so much harder to maintain the secrecy in this affair than she is to try and repair her relationship with DH. I also object to the implication that the affair is DH's fault and that the risk of exposure is his as well so he has to go. It's a case wanting one's cake and eating it too.

Marriage is hard... even when you have a good one... not just when it's heading for the undertaker's table. I don't know when it was that DH and YH stopped communicating. I'm not blaming YH wholly for the failure in the relationship. Only for not having the courage to confront DH over it. It may be that DH is a terrible husband. They seem like such a mismatch on the surface but perhaps she was attracted to his "niceness" in the beginning and is now making up for it by going to the other extreme and sleeping with a bad boy. 

I imagine that Ji'An arouses all of DH's protective instincts. There's something about her that strikes at the very core of who he is. He's so used to playing that role in his own family that it's not hard for those tendencies to spill over elsewhere... particularly when there's an undeniable connection between them.

Did they always intend for Ji'An and DH to be a romantic pairing? Because even from the early days that's the trajectory I saw. There's something about the way LSK plays DH that's very boyish. He seems to me boyishly lonely. I can imagine that for some the age gap has an "icky" factor to it but I just think about Jane Austen's Mr Knightley or Colonel Brandon (particularly Brandon's age gap with Marianne)... and well, let's just say there's some precedent for this sort of thing. I don't know if I would necessarily recommend it in RL especially in this day and age but it is an interesting dynamic in this drama to explore. It doesn't bother me either way because of the way the show has drawn them together as empathetic halves of a whole.

@zenya22 Lovely to see you too.

• Like 17