[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

Plus he probably feels guilty if he declares to a girl not much older than his son.  Until that guilt can be resolved, there cannot be a declaration.  Ajusshi is not a man who declare to someone without the intention of taking responsibility for her.  At this point he is not prepared for that.

So he stays in his comfort zone,  ignores her statements, and just enjoys his moments
with her...until she decide to leave.  Then he will have to confront this ambiguity head-on.

We at Soompi have written many pages about our wishes for the endings.  Reality is we don't know.
Will there be a beautiful lifelong friendship, a beautiful but short term friendship or full
blown love story.... any of which can realistically occur at this point.  in 2.7 weeks we will know!

Apologies for cutting the post short. I agree with some of your valid points. Since this ajusshi cannot take responsibility for Jian, isn't it more fitting for him to avoid her and stop yearning for her company? He involuntary waits outside of Jung Hee's bar or @berny once called it his nightly landscaping survey:lol:. Also he demanded Jian to buy him another slippers like dude are you really that clueless to think the "slippers" are just slippers for Jian. There is a reason our girl threw them away in the first place. He is older than her so the man should have known better that she  wants more than what he can offer her.  I don't think the feelings of guilt with the age gap, failing marriage are the culprits for his indecisiveness. The main reason he is simply just being Dong Hoon that loves to play safe because of his fear of making a mistake. So he deflects and deflects then calculate and overthinks.. Sometimes in life there are no right or wrong choices, just make a decision then move on. He cannot go on fiddling around two women and chain them up in his world of purgatory. That's unfair too. I love this Ajusshi's character but the production needs to put some courage into the guy to take over his life and happiness. He is in real danger to be that annoying spineless character if things don't turn around for him by episode 13-14.

I disagree that Jian is ambiguous or is playing safe with her feelings. She is just not the type of girl who says saranghae to any living form and that is just her norm. It is already a big deal for her cold as ice personality to say she likes someones and enjoy the company of another person. Jian is decisively direct with her feelings in one big blow and as DH puts it a crazy bitsin. She will leave no matter what the decision of DH will be. It is the right thing to do in their situation and she is already happy enough to just experience love like a normal human being. So if this not a full blown love story, the production should just leave this as a pure case of hero worship for the non-shippers  or unrequited love for the romantics. Don't cross the line unless if this is really a Darcy romance as intended from the beginning. 

@danielassny welcome. please feel free to pitch in:) I agree that DB is too neutral with their reviews. I get their need to push for a platonic relationship but its ending up to be so overly cautious and one dimensional. Oh please we don't hopelessly run and constantly long for our friends like that no matter how special they are. Don't get me started about the other incest theories:lol:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, justamom said:

Naver has a male/female ratio count for the clips they post. For most dramas, it's 80%, sometimes up to 90% female.

My Ahjussi's ratio has been 60-70% female. It's still majority female, but almost double the number of male viewers compared to regular dramas. So it depends on how you read those numbers.

I mean couldn't that also be because this drama is more serious so attracts more male's.? 

17 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

I mean they have already crossed that line then because you can tell by the way he yearns for her that he pretty much need's her, and she already has feelings for him. It doesn't need to be a love story to have love at the end of it. I think she will leave because she will hurt being around him if she cant be with him. I also dont think its crossing a line if two people who find happiness together have a relationship. 

Who ever came up with this adoption thing though needs to check their head honestly , she has feelings for him and he has something for her.. why you want him adopting her. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 7

2 hours ago, danielassny said:

Hi. 

I am new here but I hope everyone is ok with me joining the discussion. 

I have been in lurking mode because I can't catch up with you guys brilliant analysis but I am enjoying every single one of it. Since I am a beanie, so my discussion always ended up at Dramabeans. 

My urge to delurke came when I read this translation because I could not process how this drama being panned badly by this writer. 

I also watched Pretty Noona but decided to drop it after episode 5 for the reason that there is no exact story to be told and excessive unnecessary skinship. My Ajusshi is the exact opposite without a single skinship between the OTP but just emotional bonding yet whenever DH and JA appeared together, my heart flutters and most importantly, there is a story, a powerful message to be told. 

I agree that comments at DB are too safe, too careful. As for myself, I see romantic connection everywhere between DH and JA (i mean which man  actually stealing glances at his subordinate in the office at every possible opportunity if his feelings for her is nothing more than just towards a younger sister or daughter? I certainly know my dad and brother never bothered to check me out). At times, this cautious comments can turned out to be lacking the honesty and that is when it crossed over as frustrating. Apparently, out of frustrations, I decided to lurk here because I find comments here are more honest be there are times some may come to disagreement. 

I am surprised that this article seems to depict that koreans not receiving MA favourably. What I read from comments at AKP saying that MA is receiving a lot of love with very positive feedbacks at naver. And if last week's rating is any indicator, it seems the drama is picking up a lot of interest. With the mentioning of realistic, I find that the writer herself is overfed with the fantasy of a sugary cotton candy romance from Pretty Noona to overlook the realistic feel of MA. 

If there is anything, I know MA is receiving unanimous love among i-fans. At DB, the feedbacks are universally positive (disregards the shippers and non shippers camps) and at AKP... Pretty Noona is heavily panned whereas praises all go to MA. 

With regards to age gap, I don't see a big issue and this coming from someone who used to be in a relationship with an ajusshi 15years my senior (coincidentally an engineer too). What most important is whether both parties in the relationship sharing the same direction and complimenting each other. Obviously, that is what I see in DH and JA. They find strength in one another and can looked passed each other's shortcoming and healing thru each other's presence.  I am hoping for DH and JA to be the endgame and I hope that the writer wont succumb to whatever pressure to comply with society image and standard but just to tell us a beautiful story. 

I hope i can join you guys here with lengthy discussion from time to time. 

Over here, I am dying while waiting for the coming episode. Wednesday seems too far away. 

@danielassny  After watching 12 episodes of My Mister, this reader wants to go running too!

Since you're "dying while waiting for the coming episode".... why don't you take up jogging!  The adrenalin high feels good....not to mention the heavy breathing!!!  Haha!

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

13 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I mean couldn't that also be because this drama is more serious so attracts more male's.? 

I mean they have already crossed that line then because you can tell by the way he yearns for her that he pretty much need's her, and she already has feelings for him. It doesn't need to be a love story to have love at the end of it. I think she will leave because she will hurt being around him if she cant be with him. I also dont think its crossing a line if two people who find happiness together to have a relationship. 

I know chingu:) I'm just trying to keep my expectations very low just in case this show will try to sucker punch me next week.. They have obviously crossed the line the minute she confessed her feelings. DH is in love with her too. I just hope he can be more vocal about it.

Sure adoption is a possibility. DH can adopt Jian when he marries her in the future:tongue:. That would make them family right?

• Like 3
  • LOL 9

@danielassny Welcome to MA thread! I’m also a Beanie, but as you said comments there are too safe for my taste, that’s why I’m enjoying discussions here a lot of more. MA is one of the most interesting sramas I’ve ever watched. Even before MA started airing I was already rooting for them romantically because for once I’d like a couple that overcomes real problem, real social norms. If in k-dramas people can travel through time and come from another planet to be with their loves, why can’t Dong Hoon and Ji An be together? That would take more courage than chaebol falling for a poor girl.

@justamom Thanks for sharing your story! If you ever wanted to turn it into a fanfic, I’d definitely read it! I was wondering - does your husband know that you used to have a crush on your mentor? How does it feel now when you meet him? There’s always something special about “could have been” relationships. Because those relationship were never realised, that’s why there’ll always be those lingering feelings. I never had this experience with older man like you guys but I used to have a crush on my boss in a company I used to work. There’s something about mature and more experienced man that some women (including me) find attractive. And thanks for posting that clip from Coffee Prince. I was laughing hard because I forgot how young LSK looked there. I think he was more suited with his on/off girlfriend so I’m glad they had their own love line. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Is it because of the strict hierarchical structure in Korea that they cannot see a loveline? Or is it because it's IU and Koreans cannot see her as anything more than the Nation's Little Sister? Are the Korean viewers still infantilising her? Is her idol status a liability? 

This backlash in Korea has made me wonder,  which other actress could have played this role and allowed for a full on romance without backlash? Who doesn't have baggage? Yoon Eun Hye could steam the screen, if she could dissolve into that gritty thug called Ji An. Which other actress do you think could do this role?

@africandramalover, in the beginning I am sure IU's status and the fact that she looked so young and pure had something to do with it.  But as the show aired and IU putting away her idol image with it, I am not sure it's her anymore.  Maybe what @justamomwrote on page 93 can shed some light on the issue:

On 4/26/2018 at 9:24 PM, justamom said:

So, to share what I learnt while in Seoul.

Everyone, especially the 30-something and 40-something noonas, are cray cray crazy over Jung Hee in Pretty Noona. He's like the hottest star right now.

I asked a writer friend about the My Ahjussi controversy. Everyone's heard of that too, apparently. It's a really sensitive issue. For many of these 30/40 something year old women, they look at My Ahjussi, and it's their reality right there. What they go home to. The 'loser' ahjussis you see there,  those are the same slobs they deal with at home every day with all their flaws and problems. So that's not what they want to watch. Who wants to watch a show about how tough their lives are? I can empathise, and understand why they'd rather watch Pretty Noona.

The other thing my friend mentioned is My Ahjussi is also politically sensitive. For many in the arts/cultural scene, it reminds them of the Park Geun Hye era where many artists were suppressed and women's rights stepped on. Because men look at (watch) the show, without watching it, and (women) think, oh this is a middle-aged male fantasy of finding a cute younger girl to go out with, even though it's so far from the truth. Basically, many of the women who felt wronged during Park Geun Hye's time are wondering--why are you giving these sleazebags a voice, a platform to justify themselves?

As to who else could have played the role of Ji An without much controversy, I always think Kim Go Eun would have done as well.  She is not much older than IU, looks young, but has a more mature vibe to her, so not as many would find the age gap icky if she were to be cast.  A plus that she was not an idol.  And she already did a movie with LSK and despite not having much screentime together their chemistry was already very strong.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mujay said:

:wub:love your long lecture post, you always in between logic and imaginatif term, @tiger457_stv i know you are engineer so all is stiff, calculative and uptight:lol:style of life and the way to think  of thought  but what made me salute is your senses of humour..lol, oops i get stomachache reading your post.

Thank you always bring smile and delight post here.:)

I wish there'er time lapse around 3/4years to them and reunited as adult lovers for the ending.

So let's be happy and waiting how the story unfold.

IMG_20180423_200942.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Another reason the production delayed maybe they want to celebrate Ji Eun brithday thou.the last episode will air at 16 & 17, she must be want share her great day with fans of MA and the production cast & crew quess

@mujay.   This reader agrees with you that a short time jump would be best.  There
simply is too much baggage (and 4 episodes) to resolve within a few months span.
With all the tension that has been created, a cathartic moment is necessary.  In a short
5 to 6 years, Ji-an would have grown up (no more baby fat cheeks) with the confidence
to declare and/or accept a meaningful relationwith Ajusshi.
The differences between 1 vs 25, 21 vs 45, 31 vs 55 or  60 vs 85 yeas old becomes less
and less....and is .. bridgeable. 

Hopefully there will be a mature good ending to this mature thought provoking tale....

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Aww you guys IU recently sang at the wedding of the assistant director of My Mister.

Spoiler

I can see the actor who plays Manager Kim at back in this photo. I hope the rest of the cast was there too.

IMG_20180505_202341.jpg

Edit: Just realized someone already made a post about this. My bad!:ph34r:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

I know chingu:) I'm just trying to keep my expectations very low just in case this show will try to sucker punch me next week.. They have obviously crossed the line the minute she confessed her feelings. DH is in love with her too. I just hope he can be more vocal about it.

Sure adoption is a possibility. DH can adopt Jian when he marries her in the future:tongue:. That would make them family right?

Lol...lol...i looooveee the last pharagraf./another way to become family.lol.(SMART)

Cheeers DH-Jian ship:wub::lol:

Give me hope and bright day to waiting 3 more days till eps 13.

My Ahjussi lovers faighting!

• Like 8

Other Soompi members comment about how many men vs women watch these shows.  In general
it is true that many more women watch Kdrama than men.  Men tend to prefer simple escapism
such as watching sports, war and action movies where they get some thrills then forget about it.... while women tend to dwell on the romantics.  This is the same reason more boys play video games than girls.
So it is obvious that even in a dark and provoking show like My Mister, that the majority
is still women....BUT, the ratio differences is NOT as high as suggested by the polls.
Men, especially younger ones, would NOT want to confess that they watch Kdrama, less they be
made fun of by their peers...so the results are skewed.

Reality is that those who dwell on cerebral matters tend to watch cerebral themes.   Those who tend to like escapist themes will likewise find their fun to dwell on.  There is no right or wrong.

This reader prefers tales where there are many seemingly insurmountable problems and see how it is methodically resolved.  Tales where the characters ignore potential problems and just live for today, ignoring the future saying que sera sera.... is not quite my cup of tea.  But again, too each his/her own.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

OMG you guys, when did this place turn into "Fifty Shades of Ahjussi" !?!  :flushed:

]Translation:

The Fantasy of Ahjussi(s) and Noona(s), why "Bap-Noona" is okay, but "Na-Jhussi" is Cursed Out

"My Ahjussi," Dramas and Reality are different, but this is too different

"My Ahjussi" is a story about three ahjussi brothers who endure the weight of life, and one woman who had a rough life, and how they come to heal through each other. Lee Sun-Kyun and IU are Park Dong-Hoon and Lee Ji-An, and they are both giving enthusiastic performances. Park Dong-Hoon is a 45-yr-old structural engineer, and due to a coincidence, he becomes wrapped up in a situation which causes him to become almost fired from his job. And his college junior, who is also his company's CEO, is having an affair with his wife, so he is living a tortured life, inside and out. Lee Ji-An's situation is even more tragic. She was left alone with an ailing grandmother at the age of 6 and she lives paying a loan shark. She commits a killing and was even sent to a juvenile facility.

Like this, PDH and LJA are living every day with difficulties. In the midst of this, PDH met LJA who is living a more miserable existence than he is, and comforts her, and he comes to feel that he is useful to someone. As a result, middle-aged men empathize with PDH and they also receive comfort, and they have become immersed in "My Ahjussi."

However, "My Ahjussi," in order to convey this message, they have "conceived the characters" too excessively, and have caused the audience to wince. PDH is suffering through things that many middle-aged men can experience. But JA having been exposed to murder, pick-pocketing, and panhandling - this is too excessive, even for a drama. It is as if they have degraded her into a tool whose purpose is to comfort PDH.

Not only how the characters are conceived, but how the message is conveyed is also receiving criticism as well. Scenes of loan shark Lee Kwang-Il being cruelly violent towards LJA is shown nakedly (without any obscuring), and other such provocative scenes are shown. The reason that criticism of this show is endless is due to these factors. A middle-aged man and a young woman can share such emotional exchanges, but in order to express this relationship, crime is used (as storylines) and they become increasingly excessive as more episodes air.

Even worse, in Ep.10, LJA tells PDH, "Hit me just once in the back of my head, so I come to my senses and wonder how I could have liked such a guy, that I would rather bash my head and die. Hit me, so I can end this. If you don't hit me, I will assume that you like me." And PDH hit LJA hard enough that she fell to the ground. It was so that LJA can save PDH from the person who was stalking them, but yet again, a provocative scene was used to convey the message, so viewers are made uncomfortable.

With these pros and cons, there are 4 episodes left of "My Ahjussi," but they took a 2 episode hiatus due to an actor change. Every week, it receives top-ranked attention due to its extreme content. It continues to receive attention with respect to whether the last 4 episodes can grab the attention of those who have come to avoid it.

--

My opinion of this article: this writer needs "Fifty Shades of Sexual Healing," I say. Goodness, get that stick out of her bum.

And my opinion: I've watched the first 2 eps of "Noona" and while I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it enough to keep watching more right away. It's on my "watch later" list, and I do like it so far. So no hate for this drama and I look forward to enjoying it.

But I'm not a middle-aged man, and this a a pretty silly analysis. Like only an ahjussi can identify with an ahjussi? Only a woman can enjoy "Noona?" So, people can only watch shows about characters that are similar to themselves?

(Thanks for posting it @sadiesmith   It was a fun read.)

Thank you for the translation (did not include pretty noona - off topic),     

I agree with much that this writer says . I really enjoy watching My Mister - the acting and the story is very well done. I do agree and have commented from the beginning that this is the perfect set up for a middle aged man crisis fantasy.  He is a steady, devoted son and family man, with great dignity and honesty, who is being undermined at work by the those who have great ambition and are jealous of him. In the meantime his wife is cheating on him with his worst enemy (oy, that is an  extreme setup).  He meets a girl who is a child that has suffered deeply, and become street wise and bitter, never feeling protected and loved or treated with dignity.   The way the story is set up is very brilliant and clever, how she deceives him and uses him, then to find out how deeply she admires him and how he treats her with respect and understands her regardless of her past.     So this is the perfect setup for an older man - all systems go, given the green light.

Most dramas are fantasies. This one is an ajeossi fantasy.  I don't think the age needed to be this extreme otherwise.  Could have had a man ten years younger and a girl a few years older and had the same story but would not be so titillating. That is why the writer says it is excessive and causes  some of us to wince.    There is no doubt it is otherwise truly well written and acted etc. So I keep watching even though I feel a wince factor - because it is so obvious. I know people will say Secret Love Affair is also a big age difference.  But somehow it didn't seem quite so manufactured - more up front and honest about it.    That is just my take, don't hate me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

@africandramalover, in the beginning I am sure IU's status and the fact that she looked so young and pure had something to do with it.  But as the show aired and IU shedding her idol image with it, I am not sure it's her anymore.  Maybe what @justamomwrote on page 93 can shed some light on the issue:

As to who else could have played the role of Ji An without much controversy, I always think Kim Go Eun would have done as well.  She is not much older than IU, looks young, but has a more mature vibe to her, so not as many would find the age gap icky if she were to be cast.  A plus that she was not an idol.  And she already did a movie with LSK and despite not having much screentime together their chemistry was already very strong.

The current actress (IU?...strange name) is perfect as Ji-an.  The other that you mention could probably play Ji-an, but after we saw this Ji-an, there is no other Ji-an.  Just like there is no other Ajusshi Engineer.

This reader wonders if the drama directors would have a cliff hanger at the end, so they can make a follow up tv movie special.  That would be a surprise.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

BUT, the ratio differences is NOT as high as suggested by the polls.
Men, especially younger ones, would NOT want to confess that they watch Kdrama, less they be
made fun of by their peers...so the results are skewed.

These aren't polls. These are actual numbers based on registered Naver accounts. Everyone has a unique internet identity in Korea, tied to your ID and phone number. So they are tracking actual users and they know the age group and gender.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Thank you for the translation (did not include pretty noona - off topic),     

I agree with much that this writer says . I really enjoy watching My Mister - the acting and the story is very well done. I do agree and have commented from the beginning that this is the perfect set up for a middle aged man crisis fantasy.  He is a steady, devoted son and family man, with great dignity and honesty, who is being undermined at work by the those who have great ambition and are jealous of him. In the meantime his wife is cheating on him with his worst enemy (oy, that is an  extreme setup).  He meets a girl who is a child that has suffered deeply, and become street wise and bitter, never feeling protected and loved or treated with dignity.   The way the story is set up is very brilliant and clever, how she deceives him and uses him, then to find out how deeply she admires him and how he treats her with respect and understands her regardless of her past.     So this is the perfect setup for an older man - all systems go, given the green light.

Most dramas are fantasies. This one is an ajeossi fantasy.  I don't think the age needed to be this extreme otherwise.  Could have had a man ten years younger and a girl a few years older and had the same story but would not be so titillating. That is why the writer says it is excessive and causes  some of us to wince.    There is no doubt it is otherwise truly well written and acted etc. So I keep watching even though I feel a wince factor - because it is so obvious. I know people will say Secret Love Affair is also a big age difference.  But somehow it didn't seem quite so manufactured - more up front and honest about it.    That is just my take, don't hate me.

@maddymappo   Your point is well taken.  If the writer chose an age gap of 5 or 10 or 15, most audience would not think much of it.. then there would be no story, other than the wife/kid baggage and social classes to work out.... all together no big deal.

But 24 years gap is a lot to swallow.... That is hard for the main characters,  and writer and  audience to reconcile (you call it wincing, I call it gulping).  How it ends will satisfy some and make other wince.  A good writer would soften the blow, regardless  of whether one is a gulper or a cheerer.... at the end of the day, ask yourself if the story leaves you a strong impression or not?

AND... if you are wincer/gulper.... then....we would TEAR YOU APART AND SEND YOU DEATH TREATS!!!.....  That's a joke... no hate here on forum. Haha.

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

@tiger457_stv The stage name IU was derived from the phrase "I and You" to symbolize the unifying force of music between people :) However, Ji-an's actress is going by her real name Lee Ji-eun for her acting projects. (It feels awkward for me to refer to her like that though, when more people recognise her by her stage name IU...)

I think this drama would work beautifully as a self-contained story, but I'd be game for a second season and/or spin-off if the set-up for that is done well. I'm already preparing myself to purchase the extended edition if/when it goes on sale; that director's cut and additional material look promising. Mmhmm!

This brings me to the above tweet! To everyone: Please please please fill in the form regardless of whether you plan to purchase the DVD/Blu-ray. Your entry matters! We have to show the team that this drama is very much beloved overseas, too!

2 minutes ago, justamom said:

These aren't polls. These are actual numbers based on registered Naver accounts. Everyone has a unique internet identity in Korea, tied to your ID and phone number. So they are tracking actual users and they know the age group and gender.

This reader is not sure what is a Naver, but can 2 people watch on 1 account?  If they can, then there will be an undercount.

• Like 4

Just caught up with this drama and I love the dark, gloomy, sad yet "healing" vibes for the broken heart. Not to forget, the family love and great friendship. The crazy love and affection between the youngest bro and the actress.

I love the 3 brothers. Their love for each other makes me wish my kids will in turn love each other and support each other always. But spare me their thoughts of my funeral. Lol. 

Ji An, poor poor girl. What she suffered. I hope there's a happy ending for her with rainbow and sun.

Not expecting any romance in this drama but I'm always up for a surprise. 

Can't wait to watch the latest episode. Guess Kleenex need to be by my side again?

• Like 13

@tiger457_stv, i love watching all kind sports but like to watch drama too but yes i prefer drama with humanity, healing plot.

Sweet romance is depend to otp chimestry , when there i found interesting plot and the acting conveyed me i will watching till end without qualm.

Talk about who suit to act as Jian.

I profound Lee ji eun does a wonderful performance as Lee ji an, she sucked in the character well, how she arculate her lines to give cold vibe when she confrontation with DY,KI or YH is quite shackening.she  do excelent acting in every range emotion depth gesture expression yup she deserve best actress nomine in coming BAA.

I wish some production house make korean. "Ally mc beal" adaption, this character will suite to Ji eun.a smart, lonely  lawyer who have strange wild imagination to finding her soulmate.

imageproxy.jpg

• Like 9

11 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I don't feel too good about my exam, but hopefully I pass! (This is engineering we're talking about, so I'll settle for a pass.)

I'm sorry you don't feel too good about you're exam, sweetie! And I hope you pass too :). Wow. Engineering?! But I believe engineering is hard, right?! Why would you take engineering?!  

My reaction:

Image result for confused math lady gif

I'm just kidding. Well, good luck! :) 

Back to the interesting stuff. I do think DH-YH have communication issues, but it's more than that. They don't love each other anymore. They feel uncomfortable in each other's presence. I daresay they haven't slept together in a while. I don't see how they could realistically patch things up.

I could be wrong, but I don't think JH has the hots for DH. They seem like good old friends to me. Perhaps JH needs a man to move on. She does seem starved of love. But anyyybody but DH. (I once supposed she was JY's ex-wife, lol. Bad guess!)

Back to the interesting stuff? Ok. Hahahaha. Whatever you want :). I like you opinion on DH and YH's marriage. I agree. And it just looks like it fell apart. They have a child, right? I don't even think that could save their marriage at this point. No I don't think they could realistically patch things up. I understand why you think they don't love each other. But at first I asked, "Doesn't DH love YH?" But then I see the way he looks and treats Ji-An. And I don't think he loves YH back. And YH loves JY. She went to the hotel with him and she went camping with him. I don't think she ever did those things with DH. So no they could never realistically patch things up like you said. I feel so sorry for their kid because he has no idea that his parents don't love each other anymore :(.

Well, I can understand why you don't think JH is interested in DH. They do seem like good old friends. But I feel like she looks at him like she's interested sometimes. Oh but I could be wrong too. Let's just wait and see, right? Omg! You thought she was JY's ex-wife? Me too! Whenever she came home to an empty house, I was thinking, "You miss JY, but it never worked out!" I guess we were both wrong. I hope she gets a man who loves her :) Honestly, I don't know if we will ever know about DY's ex-wife. A lot of his story is kind of mysterious. I think all we know is that he married into a rich family, right? And he is DY's junior. I wish we could know more about DY because I think he's interesting! But I don't think we have enough time left, right? :). I hope the actor can be lead in his own drama someday :).

11 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

They have a point though DH is still married to YH. So the possibility of entertaining a romance between DH and JA is morally wrong at the moment.  I agree with another poster  that Jian needs to leave because it will force DH to confront and decide about his marriage. I don't know about you guys but I cannot go through another week of Dong Hoon moping around and not deciding on anything. The productions needs to work on their male lead because he is bordering towards becoming a wimpy character if he keeps this up. 

I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm going to jump into this discussion. I hope you don't mind :) And you don't have to respond! You're right. I never thought about this. I think it is morally wrong too. DH is still married to YH. So how can he be with JA? I'm reading what you're saying, and I understand. You said you can't go through another week of DH moping around and not deciding anything. I noticed he does this too. I was thinking, "Please decide on something" as I was watching the last episodes. I guess you read my mind? Well, I agree the production does need to work on him because it looks like he might never decide what he wants to do. You think he's bordering towards becoming a wimpy character?! Can I disagree? I think he's bordering on becoming lonely because he never shares his feelings with anyone. When he is with Ji-An I still don't think he shares all of his feelings with her. I think she has become more open, but I don't know about him...Like you said, hopefully the production works on him :). I think Lee Sun Kyun is such a great actor and I think he acts with emotion! I've only seen him in Coffee Prince. I haven't seen his other works. So you probably don't care what I think about his acting! :). And now I'm watching My Mister. I want to watch his other works too. I just hope DH doesn't become wimpy. I think LSK is too good for that :)

The lack of behind-the-scenes images and (English subbed) clips makes me a bit grumpy. <_< Here are some old stills I dug up on tving's site. Not sure if someone already posted these.

Grumpy? Oh no. How are we going to take care of you? I could offer you some cookies! :).  Here :cookie:. Thanks for the stills. And I don't think anyone has posted these yet :).

I like how the first image showcases the easy rapport between the main leads. They seem comfortable around each other, right?

I looked at the first image you posted. Are you asking if IU and LSK seem comfortable around each other? Then yes, I think they look comfortable around each other. For example, LSK looks relaxed, hands in his pockets and he's looking at something in the distance. And IU is just casually drinking like she is having fun, one hand in her pocket :). I don't think they are standing too far apart :).

9 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Is it because of the strict hierarchical structure in Korea that they cannot see a loveline? Or is it because it's IU and Koreans cannot see her as anything more than the Nation's Little Sister? Are the Korean viewers still infantilising her? Is her idol status a liability? 

Hi. I'm going to jump in the conversation too. I never like talking about these kinds of things, because I think it just causes too many arguments. I'm curious too...I don't think it's her idol-status. I don't know I'm so confused. And what does infantilising mean?

Me:

Image result for confused black girl gif

9 hours ago, africandramalover said:

This backlash in Korea has made me wonder,  which other actress could have played this role and allowed for a full on romance without backlash? Who doesn't have baggage? Yoon Eun Hye could steam the screen, if she could dissolve into that gritty thug called Ji An. Which other actress do you think could do this role?

Honestly, I love IU in this role...I can't think of anyone. I wonder what others here think. Anyone?

9 hours ago, chickfactor said:

OMG you guys, when did this place turn into "Fifty Shades of Ahjussi" !?!  :flushed:

I'm just going to jump on this. When did this place turn into "Fifty Shades of Ahjussi?" Hahahahahaha! Is it too much for you? Aww. Poor thing. Let me hug you! :) And thank you for the translation :) 

5 hours ago, miracle525 said:

Hello everyone! Today I break my self-imposed hiatus from this forum to present something which I've prepared in an effort to take a break from my overwhelming commitments. (Or am I procrastinating? I don't know anymore...)

Hi! I'm happy you decided to take a break from your "self-imposed hiatus from this forum" :). I think we all need to take a break from our overwhelming commitments :) For example, some of need to take a break from cleaning! Hahahhaa. I don't think you're procrastinating. I think you're fine :) And I'm glad you're here to share your thoughts with us :).  

I have this belief that Dong-hoon subconsciously perceives Ji-an as an angel of sorts. (Crap, I don't know how to put this across more appropriately, but hear me out!) This perception stems from the sheer number of times that Ji-an has appeared in front of Dong-hoon's very eyes - like some divine vision - in the moments when thoughts of her lie at the back of his mind. This is exemplified in the following:

Wow! I understand why you think he would subconsciously perceive Ji-An as an angel of sorts :). I think you did fine. And I enjoyed reading your thoughts :). So here are my thoughts on what you said. I like how you gave us. You gave us episodes 9, 10, 11, and 12. And you explained each episode too. I agree. And I want to add that DH said that JA was a good person. She murdered someone, right? Well, I think she's thinking, "I'm a bad person. I murdered someone." But he's probably thinking she's innocent. And he did say he would kill someone if they were beating up his family too, right? These are just my thoughts.

Now, it is all too easy for any illusions of destiny, fate etc to be shattered by the revelation that Ji-an has been wiretapping him all the time. I will note that Ji-an did not use her earphones/wiretap to find Dong-hoon in majority of the above sequences. However, the significance of certain moments, such as that in EP 7, would be undercut by the involvement of this wiretap; Dong-hoon would doubt that these special moments when Ji-an appeared in front of him, right where he wanted her, were purely coincidental. In a way, this is similar to the earlier conflict of Ji-an stealing the bribe money - Dong-hoon had almost believed in the possibility that Ji-an discarded the money to 'save' him until he found out that she had meant to protect herself, albeit with good reason.

I understand what you're saying :). And you're right about DH almost believing that she discarded the money to save him. Yes, and you're right he believed  this until he found out she was protecting herself for a good reason. He could have been upset with her, but he wasn't  right? So this could be another example of him perceiving her as an angel in his mind. Is that what you meant? And I wanted to add that they always ask him, "Why did you hire her?" and I think he mentioned he liked that she said she likes to run. To me this just proves your point. I think this is another example that he perceives her as an angel :)

We cannot be certain of Dong-hoon's immediate reaction to the impending revelation of Ji-an's plans at this time. Perhaps he'd tell Ji-an, "If I'd known you were going to be like this, maybe I should've just let Joon-young fire me over the bribe money instead of suffering at your hands!!" Or perhaps he'd think differently. Who knows? Still, all is not lost; he will ultimately forgive her for the wrongs that she had done by him. (This has to be the case, right? You can't tell me otherwise!) Herein lies the beauty of My Ajusshi; it presents us with realistic conflicts between individuals and demonstrates the power of empathy and forgiveness.

You're right. I agree with everything you said. I don't think we can be certain about DH's immediate reaction to Ji-An's plans this whole time either. For example, when he found out that she owed the loan shark's son a debt. I don't think he ever thought she was taking the bribe-money to pay off her debt. He asked "How much does she owe?"

I could be wrong. I'm glad you mentioned Joon-young. And I don't think anyone knows of her plans. I think JA, YH, and Joon-young were all on the roof and Joon-young said she had tricked him too? I could be wrong about this too.  I think he will ultimately forgive her. I think DH really does think that she is a good person because I don't think he is someone who lies about how he feels. I think he can see who is a bad person and who is a good person. For example, he does not like Joon-young. And I believe JA said she noticed that too. I can see the beauty of this drama, and I agree. It's filled with empathy and forgiveness. But some people don't forgive others right? For example I don't think DH will ever forgive Joon-young :)

Thanks for reading, if you did! I'll see you again after episodes 13 & 14 are released, or earlier if I lose my self-control, ha.

PS: This song has a calmness and sensitivity that reminds me of My Ajusshi sometimes, and its lyrics may resemble Ji-an's thoughts towards Dong-hoon (even as not all of it may be applicable; I've put the lines which stand out to me in bold below):

You're welcome :) I enjoyed reading it. Maybe someone can offer better thoughts on what you said. Anyone? She worked really hard on it. Can anyone offer their thoughts on what she said? 

Announcement:

Excuse me for a second everyone! This is off-topic :D.

2 hours ago, justamom said:

And while we're at it...and @2handsintertwined this is for you too, presenting, the ORIGINAL AHJUSSI! :lol:

@justamom Original Ahjussi? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :bawling: You hurt my feelings! Why did you do this to me? :bawling:

Me to @justamom after watching this video:

Image result for gong yoo crying gif goblin

Hankyul and Eunchan forever! 

Image result for hankyul eunchan gifs

@mujay Thank you for posting IU(Lee Ji Eun) picture. She looks so pretty! 

Well, everyone I can't wait for the next episodes of this drama. And I can't wait to discuss it with all of you.

It's 12pm where I live. So I hope everyone has a good afternoon/morning/night :).

Edit: This is off-topic too. But you're all like, "Thank goodness this crazy person is gone!" Hahahaha :D. See you soon.

Edited by 2handsintertwined
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Sure i agree with you my expectations are low as well because i know how bad Korea Drama's ending's are. 

Its not like im thinking they get married or something like that im not delusional , but i think a confession could be on the cards and if he leaves his wife and we get some hint that he actually really like hers ill sort of be content with that ending. 

• Like 9