[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I can imagine that for some the age gap has an "icky" factor to it but I just think about Jane Austen's Mr Knightley or Colonel Brandon (particularly Brandon's age gap with Marianne)... and well, let's just say there's some precedent for this sort of thing. I don't know if I would necessarily recommend it in RL especially in this day and age but it is an interesting dynamic in this drama to explore.

Haha I wouldn't mind if the 40 something man was LSK though. :D 

Also about Yoon Hee, ironically the same thing that irks her, is something I think I would be comfortable with. Like Dong Hoon gives her a lot of space, to do her job, to spend times on her own[ which I personally tend to do a lot, either with work or studies or giving time to friends], so for me it would be a comfortable experience, something that would help me in day to day life. The man even does all the household chores and doesn't bother her with the mundane jobs, so isn't that something women would be happy about?

Like you said I think it's possible that she fell for his good boy charms but later figured out they want different things from life. 

From the marriages I have seen, one of  the partners tend to compromise, in Yoon Hee's defense, she just couldn't deal with the way she was living her life, but instead of  trying to make it right, or taking the exit [which  would save both of them lots of trauma], she chose to stay in the hollow marriage. 

I think if Ji An or someone like her was married to dong hoon, they would have enjoyed doing things together, either in their home or going out with friends in Jung Hee's bar or elsewhere. Since both of them share the same principles, for them, responsibility, love for family comes first, like dong hoon is with his mom and brothers, or Ji An with her grandma. 

But what's again interesting is, how Yoon Hee always needed to be somewhere, or go somewhere new to 'enjoy time with dong hoon', [like leaving the neighborhood or dong hoon not spending more time with his other family members]. For all those times they were together in their home, it's interesting how they had nothing much to talk about. Whereas Dong Hoon and Ji An didn't need to be somewhere to click, it just happened instantly, or they just pick up from where they left last time as if there wasn't even any interval in between. They always have a lot to talk about. Speaks a lot about their chemistry/their rapport kind of.

• Like 19

8 hours ago, shae said:

Chairman seems awfully familiar with DH. Having been with the company as long as he has it's not unlikely that DH has been on a camping trip or two early in his career at the company.

And since Chairman is a habitual creature I'm sure that actual site/plot is owned by the chairman as well

People have fishing camps in Louisiana, which elsewhere would be something like saying we're going to visit the family cabin. So perhaps it's the same thing.

There was a conversation between  DH and DW in the roof and DW said that before JY came to the company and before he became the CEO, that there were employee outings and gatherings included family but when JY became CEO, that all stopped, I guess JY wanted it all for himself. That was when they discussed about how to find the source of the gift certificates for bribing. So the camping site must have been known to the employees if they had been there before for employee outings. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Cool we up to 4 guys now including me pretty soon we can start a baseball team or something!

I dont really care much for series drams dont like the feelings I get watching them its to real lol.

Nice meeting you all.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nearsea said:

Haha I wouldn't mind if the 40 something man was LSK though. :D 

Also about Yoon Hee, ironically the same thing that irks her, is something I think I would be comfortable with. Like Dong Hoon gives her a lot of space, to do her job, to spend times on her own[ which I personally tend to do a lot, either with work or studies or giving time to friends], so for me it would be a comfortable experience, something that would help me in day to day life. The man even does all the household chores and doesn't bother her with the mundane jobs, so isn't that something women would be happy about?

Like you said I think it's possible that she fell for his good boy charms but later figured out they want different things from life. 

From the marriages I have seen, one of  the partners tend to compromise, in Yoon Hee's defense, she just couldn't deal with the way she was living her life, but instead of  trying to make it right, or taking the exit [which  would save both of them lots of trauma], she chose to stay in the hollow marriage. 

I think if Ji An or someone like her was married to dong hoon, they would have enjoyed doing things together, either in their home or going out with friends in Jung Hee's bar or elsewhere. Since both of them share the same principles, for them, responsibility, love for family comes first, like dong hoon is with his mom and brothers, or Ji An with her grandma. 

But what's again interesting is, how Yoon Hee always needed to be somewhere, or go somewhere new to 'enjoy time with dong hoon', [like leaving the neighborhood or dong hoon not spending more time with his other family members]. For all those times they were together in their home, it's interesting how they had nothing much to talk about. Whereas Dong Hoon and Ji An didn't need to be somewhere to click, it just happened instantly, or they just pick up from where they left last time as if there wasn't even any interval in between. They always have a lot to talk about. Speaks a lot about their chemistry/their rapport kind of.

@nearsea  Because isn't that what love and friendship are all about?  They say true friends do not need to fill the silences between them.  And no matter how long they may be apart, when they get together, they just pick up where they left off as if no time has passed in between their meetings. 

Which makes me think that perhaps Yoon Hee and Dong Hoon weren't really friends before they got married.  Or maybe they were, but could only function as such when with other friends as those others can make up for the "silences".  Dong Hoon wouldn't have to talk much to Yoon Hee because there would be others to talk to her.  And she would never lack for attention because there would be others to give her that.  But when it was just the two of them, they began to see each other for what they truly are.  At least I have to give it to Dong Hoon; he was doing his best to honor his vows.  They say love isn't just an emotion but a choice you make every single day to love the one that you chose to spend the rest of your life with.  I think Dong Hoon was trying to do that in his own misguided way, but Yoon Hee seemed to have given up trying long ago.  

Anyway, I'm almost done with my re-watch and it's really a good idea to take a second look at this drama during this gap.  You see things you might have missed the first time, which would really be useful when you get to the final 4 episodes, because there's just so much nuance in the way the lines are written and the scenes are directed and acted. This drama has a way of dropping hints and token notes along the way that would make sense only in later parts.  I was particularly moved by the line that Seo Choon Dae the garbage man said to Dong Hoon in Episode 9:  "...what's so important about the truth?  None of what I did to help Ji An makes any sense when we start arguing about the truth.  Our hearts are not ruled by reason, after all."  Choon Dae probably never realized the impact of these words to the man in front of him, who's probably trying to make sense of where his heart is leading him in all this.  

It was also particularly sad for me to see all over again how Ji An doesn't really give much worth to her own life, except in so far as it would serve to protect the ones she loves.  She doesn't react at all when Kwang Il threatens her (which is probably also one of the reasons why he hates her so much) but when he starts to hint about hurting her grandma and now Dong Hoon, you see her eyes come alive with emotion.  I hope this isn't an ominous sign of things to come.  

All in all, it was beautiful for me to witness again the transformation of Dong Hoon and Ji An's characters from Episodes 1 to 12.  Everyone else is pretty much consistent but the two of them really change. It's like looking at two black and white figures against a colored background and watching them slowly fill with color until they've become brighter and more radiant than the rest.   I just wonder how brightly they'll shine when we reach the end of the story.     

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@tiger457_stv  @h2ogirl  I’m not an engineering major or anything remotely close to chemistry but I thoroughly enjoyed that chemical equation representing Yoon Hee and Ji An. Made me wish I paid better attention to my chemistry in high school. But I was being stubborn and rebellious then. :tongue:

Good luck on your studies @h2ogirl! May Engineer Park’s excellence in his field inspire you in your own. Hehehe.

@tiger457_stv hahaha on the ladybug encounter!  How can they forget each other after that? Here was Dong Hoon doing his darndest best to save the little creature, only to have Ji An put all his efforts in vain with a single whack. Shows the difference in their personalities very clearly from the get-go.  He avoids drastic measures as much as possible while she prefers the quickest and most efficient way to deal with the situation. 

@akhenatenThe look of consternation on the face of Engineer Dong Hoon when Ji-an killed the lady bug, was priceless!  The little brad just whack the poor creature in one blow and unceremoniously wipe the lady bug into the trash can without a second thought!  Who could have guessed at that point that those 2 are soulmates!!!  Hahaha.   You're right about his procrastination and her decisiveness.  we'll see what he'll do when she leaves!   Jogging???  hahahah

Edited by tiger457_stv
edit
  • Like 8
  • LOL 4

On the subject of the actors in this drama, I've been going through YouTube and Google and checking out Lee Sun Kyun because this is the first time I've ever watched him.  I honestly never heard of him before MA so I didn't have any idea about his acting background or anything.  Lee Ji Eun I've heard of and watched a bit in Scarlet Heart Ryeo and I've seen some of her MVs as IU.  But with LSK, nada.  Based on what I've read and watched, he seems to be a well-respected and critically-acclaimed actor in SK (and so is his wife, apparently).  And I mean "actor" as in thespian and not celebrity.  He actually acts onstage too.  No wonder he's so good in this drama!  

Thanks to MA, I am now a fan of Mr. Lee.  :)

• Like 19

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

@nearsea  Because isn't that what love and friendship are all about?  They say true friends do not need to fill the silences between them.  And no matter how long they may be apart, when they get together, they just pick up where they left off as if no time has passed in between their meetings. 

Which makes me think that perhaps Yoon Hee and Dong Hoon weren't really friends before they got married.  Or maybe they were, but could only function as such when with other friends as those others can make up for the "silences".  Dong Hoon wouldn't have to talk much to Yoon Hee because there would be others to talk to her.  And she would never lack for attention because there would be others to give her that.  But when it was just the two of them, they began to see each other for what they truly are.  At least I have to give it to Dong Hoon; he was doing his best to honor his vows.  They say love isn't just an emotion but a choice you make every single day to love the one that you chose to spend the rest of your life with.  I think Dong Hoon was trying to do that in his own misguided way, but Yoon Hee seemed to have given up trying long ago.  

Anyway, I'm almost done with my re-watch and it's really a good idea to take a second look at this drama during this gap.  You see things you might have missed the first time, which would really be useful when you get to the final 4 episodes, because there's just so much nuance in the way the lines are written and the scenes are directed and acted. This drama has a way of dropping hints and token notes along the way that would make sense only in later parts.  I was particularly moved by the line that Seo Choon Dae the garbage man said to Dong Hoon in Episode 9:  "...what's so important about the truth?  None of what I did to help Ji An makes any sense when we start arguing about the truth.  Our hearts are not ruled by reason, after all."  Choon Dae probably never realized the impact of these words to the man in front of him, who's probably trying to make sense of where his heart is leading him in all this.  

It was also particularly sad for me to see all over again how Ji An doesn't really give much worth to her own life, except in so far as it would serve to protect the ones she loves.  She doesn't react at all when Kwang Il threatens her (which is probably also one of the reasons why he hates her so much) but when he starts to hint about hurting her grandma and now Dong Hoon, you see her eyes come alive with emotion.  I hope this isn't an ominous sign of things to come.  

All in all, it was beautiful for me to witness again the transformation of Dong Hoon and Ji An's characters from Episodes 1 to 12.  Everyone else is pretty much consistent but the two of them really change. It's like looking at two black and white figures against a colored background and watching them slowly fill with color until they've become brighter and more radiant than the rest.   I just wonder how brightly they'll shine when we reach the end of the story.     

@akhenaten  those 2 Ji-an and Ajusshi are so much alike....  When they themselves are attacked, they just stoically take it.  But if their loved ones are threatened, then they react (even violently like soccer ajusshi vs. loan shark boy).  It is amazing to see them changed from 2 wary strangers circling each other, then discovery after discovery, then understanding, then empathy and finally an intense attraction that neither seek.... so now what?  We'll find out soon in 3 days!

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

There was a conversation between  DH and DW in the roof and DW said that before JY came to the company and before he became the CEO, that there were employee outings and gatherings included family but when JY became CEO, that all stopped, I guess JY wanted it all for himself. That was when they discussed about how to find the source of the gift certificates for bribing. So the camping site must have been known to the employees if they had been there before for employee outings. 

@zenya22  So it seems like the camp site is corporately sponsored!  Then CEO bringing lawyer Kang Yoon Hee there is bad!  It's a misused of company property...    for a CEO that is unscrupulous.  No wonder many directors hate him (not just for his age).

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 11

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Did they always intend for Ji'An and DH to be a romantic pairing? Because even from the early days that's the trajectory I saw. There's something about the way LSK plays DH that's very boyish. He seems to me boyishly lonely. I can imagine that for some the age gap has an "icky" factor to it but I just think about Jane Austen's Mr Knightley or Colonel Brandon (particularly Brandon's age gap with Marianne)... and well, let's just say there's some precedent for this sort of thing. I don't know if I would necessarily recommend it in RL especially in this day and age but it is an interesting dynamic in this drama to explore. It doesn't bother me either way because of the way the show has drawn them together as empathetic halves of a whole.

The production knew from the beginning where the relationship would go, but they deliberately said things that were confusing, things like "this is not a romance drama but a human drama."  You saw romantic trajectory, so did many here.  But there are many who see only platonic feelings.  I am tickled pink that 12 episodes done, we are still in the same place as far as this issue is concerned.  Hahaha..  But I love the way you described how LSK plays his character.  He's definitely got plenty of boyish charm, so effortlessly at that.  He is not even trying, resulting in something that does not feel icky at all.  No wonder so many are falling in love and feeling the flutters even when they are against the romantic angle.

6 hours ago, akhenaten said:

On the subject of the actors in this drama, I've been going through YouTube and Google and checking out Lee Sun Kyun because this is the first time I've ever watched him.  I honestly never heard of him before MA so I didn't have any idea about his acting background or anything.  Lee Ji Eun I've heard of and watched a bit in Scarlet Heart Ryeo and I've seen some of her MVs as IU.  But with LSK, nada.  Based on what I've read and watched, he seems to be a well-respected and critically-acclaimed actor in SK (and so is his wife, apparently).  And I mean "actor" as in thespian and not celebrity.  He actually acts onstage too.  No wonder he's so good in this drama!  

Thanks to MA, I am now a fan of Mr. Lee.  :)

Welcome to the club!  Dramabeans is the best place to learn about all of his past works.

• Like 12

On 5/6/2018 at 11:03 AM, arctichare said:

This is a short, sweet drabble posted on Tumblr.

If you guys have tumblr accounts, give the author some love.

Thank you @arcticharefor the link to the Tumblr article.  She stayed very true to the original characterizations.  She posted another drabble here.

A few more fanfics for those who crave more:

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/나의 아저씨 | My Mister (TV)/works

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Cool we up to 4 guys now including me pretty soon we can start a baseball team or something!

I dont really care much for series drams dont like the feelings I get watching them its to real lol.

You dont like serious drama's? my mister is serious. ;p

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Is it playing this week? Dramabean still has a line on 13-14 episode. I am getting worried? Never mind. I found out that only episode 13 will be aired this week. So strange. 

Thank you in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, smhelen said:

Is it playing this week? Dramabean still has a line on 13-14 episode. I am getting worried? Never mind. I found out that only episode 13 will be aired this week. So strange. 

Thank you in advance. 

Really?  Where did you hear that only episode 13 will be aired this week?

• Like 2

Re watch this "fire" scene again.

First what came to my mind is Jian furiously stuck in no choice,"her potential prey is not easy as she thought and she will lost a chance  to get another 10 M in short chircumstance"

And then the idea is coming  by listen DH conversation with his brother"i don't know how strong my will power was,  because i never face any temptation there"

I think Jian presence is really intimidated him from start, he felt annoying, distarcted, and interesting in her that's feeling made him lost balance.

And yes the force kiss show it, he is in state become lost his logical pragmatis thinking, he felt conflicted by Jian furious kiss,"don't do that" but He hold Jian hand softly in case she get hurt because he refused the kiss in panic., he hold Jian hands tight until Jian take off and walk away.

The quick thinking and observed Jian found right away,this man unknowingly interest in her, but he is to righteous to enjoy even slightly temptation she offer.

and her mission is completed , She have no reason to met him she left confusing ahjussi in that state of mind .

but who knows their relationship getting depth and complicated since then.

IMG_20180506_183118.jpg

Good advice, so when we will watch another our otp kiss ?:D

Perhaps  the good timing is ever come again..:glasses:

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

3 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you @arcticharefor the link to the Tumblr article.  She stayed very true to the original characterizations.  She posted another drabble here.

A few more fanfics for those who crave more:

https://archiveofourown.org/tags/나의 아저씨 | My Mister (TV)/works

@arctichare @sadiesmith

Thank you so much for sharing. If there’s one thing I love about well-written fanfics, they fill in the gaps of the work they’re based on.  In this case, these little fics did that so beautifully.  I hope we get more of them. :)

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Seeing again the clip of the attempted kiss makes me think somehow that the director will in the end reward us with a real kiss.  But it's just a strong hunch that I can't explain why.

I'm with you on this. I have a strong...........need to see them kiss after so much tension......hunch too. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Dang.  I was thinking of watching another series during the gap. Like “Suits”, which had been the 2018 series I had originally been planning to watch until My Ahjussi came along and just...ruined everything for me. Now I can’t seem to get myself into the mindset for another drama, much less a fluffy romance. I don’t know if I can even stand watching the usual tropes like girl tripping and guy catching her and all that stuff. And every time two romantic leads now stare at each other across the room, I will always end up comparing their connection to Dong Hoon and Ji An, whose spark can light up a room without meaning to. 

My Ahjussi, you have to straighten me out. :huh:

• Like 8
  • LOL 14