[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I think that, intentionally or unintentionally, the pdnim's direction strategy is similar to those of the answer me series, in special AM '88, but of course in a different way. The point that is similar is the guessing game: keeping the viewers guessing something. In the reply series, the guess was related to "who is the husband". However, while there it was to guess "who the OTP is?", here in MA the guess is "is it OTP (pair) or OTF (friends)?". In the reply series (specialy '88, and less by '94 and '97) it was the girl's behaviour that let viewers guessing, while in MA it is DH's behaviour who let some people (no me! :wink:) guessing . 

In both situations a kind of "war" was created (it is true that with Reply series it was a "war", while with MA it is more like a "friendly match"): then, it was a war between different groups of shippers; now it is "friendly match" between shippers and non-shippers; then, the "war" was moved by passion, now the "friendly match" is moved by conviction. People then could get very emotional and let emotions and convictions dominated their better judgement when analysing the facts presented in the dramas. In other words: if we just watch the reply series dispassionately, and let be lead by the flow of the history, it is easier to see - imo - that the writer/pd were telling a conventional OTP love story since the start (I think it is easier to se it after some time, when rewatching the dramas). In regards to MA, imo and as I said before, it is conviction that is blinding most viewers, for the writer is telling the story that she wants to tell (and I think she will tell her story til the end).

So, in MA,  I think the guessing thing is in itself a red harring to play a game and to keep some viewers attention (what is absolutly unnecessary!), but all the while the story has being told and what has being told is an OTP's love story. However, due to this intentionally or unintentionally "game", I think that the solution will only happen by episode 15. I'm afraid this week we won't see any DH's confession.  Hope I'm wrong about this.  

• Like 14

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

Dang.  I was thinking of watching another series during the gap. Like “Suits”, which had been the 2018 series I had originally been planning to watch until My Ahjussi came along and just...ruined everything for me. Now I can’t seem to get myself into the mindset for another drama, much less a fluffy romance. I don’t know if I can even stand watching the usual tropes like girl tripping and guy catching her and all that stuff. And every time two romantic leads now stare at each other across the room, I will always end up comparing their connection to Dong Hoon and Ji An, whose spark can light up a room without meaning to. 

My Ahjussi, you have to straighten me out. :huh:

I got same withdrawal even before eps.5 airing-_-

Before i get excited waiting friday and saturday drama as well but watching romance full of skinship made me numb, lost passionate feeling, i watching it but i have not there, get bored and make decision this drama is not my cup of tea.:(.

subtle romantic scene, intelectual passionate bickering, deep gaze , secret glance and mind game is more appealing thou.:lol:

Sorry this just my personal taste, not tend to disregrad another hype drama at all.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, smhelen said:

On Drama Fever website. 

Okay, chingu - I just screenshotted these from DramaFever's website:

QaUbMRA.png

Spoiler

TyjV2GV.png

Sheesh! You almost gave me a heart attack, chingu-ya. :crazy:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

You're so right @akhenaten. Just like Signal set the gold standard for thriller / mystery dramas two years ago, I'd say My Ahjussi has set the new gold standard for so-called healing dramas.

Not just healing dramas, but also friendship dramas, guess-the-ending dramas, no-romance dramas, romance dramas, age-gap dramas, idol dramas.

3 hours ago, ninaanin said:

I think that, intentionally or unintentionally, the pdnim's direction strategy is similar to those of the answer me series, in special AM '88, but of course in a different way. The point that is similar is the guessing game: keeping the viewers guessing something. In the reply series, the guess was related to "who is the husband". However, while there it was to guess "who the OTP is?", here in MA the guess is "is it OTP (pair) or OTF (friends)?". In the reply series (specialy '88, and less by '94 and '97) it was the girl's behaviour that let viewers guessing, while in MA it is DH's behaviour who let some people (no me! :wink:) guessing . 

In both situations a kind of "war" was created (it is true that with Reply series it was a "war", while with MA it is more like a "friendly match"): then, it was a war between different groups of shippers; now it is "friendly match" between shippers and non-shippers; then, the "war" was moved by passion, now the "friendly match" is moved by conviction. People then could get very emotional and let emotions and convictions dominated their better judgement when analysing the facts presented in the dramas. In other words: if we just watch the reply series dispassionately, and let be lead by the flow of the history, it is easier to see - imo - that the writer/pd were telling a conventional OTP love story since the start (I think it is easier to se it after some time, when rewatching the dramas). In regards to MA, imo and as I said before, it is conviction that is blinding most viewers, for the writer is telling the story that she wants to tell (and I think she will tell her story til the end).

So, in MA,  I think the guessing thing is in itself a red harring to play a game and to keep some viewers attention (what is absolutly unnecessary!), but all the while the story has being told and what has being told is an OTP's love story. However, due to this intentionally or unintentionally "game", I think that the solution will only happen by episode 15. I'm afraid this week we won't see any DH's confession.  Hope I'm wrong about this.  

Ah... you are absolutely right about the similarity with the "husband-guessing game" of the Reply series.  I guess in Ajusshi it kind of comes down to Yoon Hee or Ji An as the woman for Dong Hoon, at least judging by how many at Dramabeans want DH to be reconciled to Yoon Hee.

You're scaring me about the prospect of no confession until episode 15.  So you mean perhaps he is running like mad to Ji An's house because Joon Young just told him that he'd sent some baddies to beat up Ji An, and Dong Hoon is trying to stop them?  This way his motivation will remain "ambiguous."

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Not just healing dramas, but also friendship dramas, guess-the-ending dramas, no-romance dramas, romance dramas, age-gap dramas, idol dramas.

Oh yeah.  To me, “My Ahjussi” is how you do an age-gap drama properly.  It really gives me the novel feels.  I think someone mentioned Jane Eyre and I so agree.  Same tension between the leads.  Also makes me think of another Scarlett Johansson film that came out the same year as her “Lost In Translation” one.  It was called “Girl With A Pearl Earring” and based on the novel of the same name. It’s a fictional account of the connection that formed between the artist Johannes Vermeer and his maid, Griet, which gave birth to one of his most celebrated works.  In the story, Vermeer was in his forties while Griet was sixteen.  They never had a romantic or even sexual relationship but their interactions were so charged because they had this deep connection that went beyond words.  It didn’t end happily though, because of, well, real life and the fact that their bond was beyond the understanding of the people around them.  If you have the time and the inclination, go watch it or better yet, read the novel.  It will seem like you’re looking at another version of Dong Hoon and Ji An. :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Hi @mylovelystar :)

Thanks for sharing this article.  So “My Ahjussi” is already a certified hit drama? I’m honestly not familiar with the criteria for SK dramas because from what I’ve read about past hit dramas (e.g. the Hallyu classic “Winter Sonata”, sageuks like “Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi” and “Empress Ki”, modern-day romance “Descendants of The Sun”) they hit the mid-20% to even 40% viewership rating. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Okay, chingu - I just screenshotted these from DramaFever's website:

QaUbMRA.png

Hide contents

TyjV2GV.png

Sheesh! You almost gave me a heart attack, chingu-ya. :crazy:

I am so sorry. I am happy and glad I am wrong. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mujay said:

Re watch this "fire" scene again.

First what came to my mind is Jian furiously stuck in no choice,"her potential prey is not easy as she thought and she will lost a chance  to get another 10 M in short chircumstance"

And then the idea is coming  by listen DH conversation with his brother"i don't know how strong my will power was,  because i never face any temptation there"

I think Jian presence is really intimidated him from start, he felt annoying, distarcted, and interesting in her that's feeling made him lost balance.

And yes the force kiss show it, he is in state become lost his logical pragmatis thinking, he felt conflicted by Jian furious kiss,"don't do that" but He hold Jian hand softly in case she get hurt because he refused the kiss in panic., he hold Jian hands tight until Jian take off and walk away.

The quick thinking and observed Jian found right away,this man unknowingly interest in her, but he is to righteous to enjoy even slightly temptation she offer.

and her mission is completed , She have no reason to met him she left confusing ahjussi in that state of mind .

but who knows their relationship getting depth and complicated since then. 

Good advice, so when we will watch another our otp kiss ?:D

Perhaps  the good timing is ever come again..:glasses:

@mujay   Soompi members should enjoy that scene since it may be the only PG rated (for restricted audience) part you may see.

the rest may be G rated for all audiences...  Remember, this is a non-romantic Kdrama!  Hahaha

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Something I loved in the last episode is the visual representation of Dong Hoon’s guardian feelings (both romantically and other) that he extends to Ji An in the form of his friend and family walking her home in the neighborhood. That he loves.

When she is tells everyone she wishes she was their age they have formed a complete circle around her with Dong Hoon watching from the very back. She is the most precious thing to him and his family has consciously or not, picked up on that fact and is protecting his treasure for him when he can’t be close to her.

So much of this show conveys intent and feeling through sound and sight, and this is a perfect example of how the DH’s quiet love and protection is is offered and accepted. 

It is also in complete contrast to how his wife has reacted to his offer of love and protection. She with few clues of her true feelings beforehand yells that she hates his neighborhood and his family and she wants to get away from it. He has always identified himself in context of his job, his neighborhood and his family and she rejects every aspect that he has shown and acknowledged to be important to him.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, danielassny said:

He knows she is listening? :o

Looks like it.  I'll bet Joon Young had just revealed it to him, resulting in another punch to the face.  And the scene of him running toward her house must follow the taxi ride.  He is wearing the same clothes in all three scenes.  Something prompts him to get off the car and made a dash toward her like there's no tomorrow.  Unfortunately it is not a confession, I don't think.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

Hi @mylovelystar :)

Thanks for sharing this article.  So “My Ahjussi” is already a certified hit drama? I’m honestly not familiar with the criteria for SK dramas because from what I’ve read about past hit dramas (e.g. the Hallyu classic “Winter Sonata”, sageuks like “Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi” and “Empress Ki”, modern-day romance “Descendants of The Sun”) they hit the mid-20% to even 40% viewership rating. 

I think someone posted this before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_drama#List_of_highest-rated_Korean_dramas_in_cable_television

List of highest-rated Korean dramas in cable television

The following dramas air on a cable channel/pay TV which normally has a relatively smaller audience compared to free-to-air TV/public broadcasters

My Mister is on the list* - think it's pretty good for "a cable channel/pay TV"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_drama#List_of_highest-rated_Korean_dramas_in_cable_television

Apologies to @Joseph Lim didn't see your post

• Like 6

New teaser...

:cry:

They all in gloomy mood.

What they supposed to do facing all the mess in DH privat life.

Both SH, KH have high respect toward YH, especially KH, he respect his sister in law in the state She is a kind women who know how to climbe high her position, devoted wife, kindly help Her in law and family. Poor Ki Hoon.-_- i quess he is very shock and can't asses what kind a life his big Bro live in.

Yup i think he somehow find out about wiretaping.:frown:

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Looks like it.  I'll bet Joon Young had just revealed it to him, resulting in another punch to the face.  And the scene of him running toward her house must follow the taxi ride.  He is wearing the same clothes in all three scenes.  Something prompts him to get off the car and made a dash toward her like there's no tomorrow.  Unfortunately it is not a confession, I don't think.

Didn't he have on a tie in the Jy punching scene and the running towards JA's house scene..and here he doesn't?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I'd say My Ahjussi has set the new gold standard for so-called healing dramas.

"Healing" dramas? I have been wondering about that word for a while as it keeps popping up here – "healing" this, "healing" that.  But what is a "healing" drama? My Mister isn't a medical drama, is it? Are there sick people here? OK,  there is Ji An's grandmother – but is she enough? And nobody is even trying to heal her, are they?

• Like 3
  • LOL 8