[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

10 minutes ago, yongsital said:

Ahw guys let's wait for the subs and see what's up. I'm just crossing my fingers for no fatherly relationship. That's weird lol. Here's a bit I 'translated' from the hospital bed scene. Such a powerful scene. I love Jian to the moon and back. I was in tears as she spoke.

Annnddd I'm no where near fluent in Korean so it may have some inaccuracies. XD

JA: Do you really not hate me?

DH: When you get to know a person, and get to know them more, it doesn't matter what you hear (?) about that person. I know you.

JA: Ajusshi's sound, I liked it all. Ajusshi's words, thoughts, (the sound of your) footsteps, all of it. I saw what a person was like for the first time.

Sounds stalker-ish, and certainly not a sign to be treated like a daughter. Certainly not looking at him as a father.

5 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

I succumbed to the episode 16 preview and I don’t know what to think. Please, please, please don’t give me another PM&I kind of ending! 

I don’t mind if it ends sadly.  I don’t mind if it comes out like Lost In Translation. Just give me proper closure. :anguished:

Even in Lost in Translation they have a hug, kiss on the cheek (and adlibbed kiss on the lips). And in the preview it sounds like Jian is asking for another hug so, i have hopes.

• Like 3

Dong Hoon: When I think of you being in pain because I'm not happy I'm also in pain and can't live. So watch. Watch how I become happy. Everything is not a big deal. [...] I'm not broken. I can be happy. I'll be happy.

:bawling:  That first part.

Edit: Okay so I don't consider me a hardcore shipper. I can have it ending without the ship sailing but I just can't fathom how to dismiss the things DH says. I mean 'I can't live seeing you in pain?' I understand those are words that could be said in many types of relationships but but..but I see the attraction there. Idk what to think anymore.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

I succumbed to the episode 16 preview and I don’t know what to think. Please, please, please don’t give me another PM&I kind of ending! 

I don’t mind if it ends sadly.  I don’t mind if it comes out like Lost In Translation. Just give me proper closure. :anguished:

I'm waiting for ep 16 anxiously lol. Do you mind sharing how did Pm & I end? Do you mean the drastic open ending?

I don't mind open ending as long as we see that the conflicts have been resolved, addressed and taken care of. :S

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

What is PM&I? 

All I want is a confession: I love you / I never thought of you that way. I'm so tired of wondering. Coz sad story alert: that's the story of my life. 

11 minutes ago, yongsital said:

Ahw guys let's wait for the subs and see what's up. I'm just crossing my fingers for no fatherly relationship. That's weird lol. Here's a bit I 'translated' from the hospital bed scene. Such a powerful scene. I love Jian to the moon and back. I was in tears as she spoke.

Annnddd I'm no where near fluent in Korean so it may have some inaccuracies. XD

DH: When you get to know a person, and get to know them more, it doesn't matter what you hear (?) about that person. I know you.

JA: Ajusshi's sound, I liked it all. Ajusshi's words, thoughts, (the sound of your) footsteps, all of it. I saw what a person was like for the first time.

I'm calming myself down. You're right. I need subs. I should have known better.

That scene where YH talked to JA via the phone was the one that set me off on a rampage. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Why is DH walking alone in the preview of episode 16?He smiles though.Does that mean that they walk away as healed souls back into their own lives?

As @ccl82 said... what's with this little girl talk.She's 21!

She says it again ,opens out:- Ajusshi your sound….I liked everything, what you said. Good girl. I will ignore it. The way you walk. Footsteps. I love everything. What is humans? I thought it was the first time to see what a human is like.(drama milk)

She is deeply in love.He showed her how to be humane.She didn't believe in humanity until him.She repays by saving him.This can go on forever ,just end them together..:bawling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Hasn't watched yet, (Duh!) but read Dramamilk.

From reading:

On 5/10/2018 at 1:19 PM, hushhh said:

I know everyone is worried if

Ji-An will call no, but they connect anyway

Will Ji-An and DongHoon meet yes

Will one die not yet

Will both survive so far

Will the marriage continue so far

Will they kiss and be merry  not so far

Will they kiss and say goodbye not so far

Me, I just want to know will DongHoon accept the Chairman's invitation to eat? In #15

Where will they go? Dramamilk didn't say

What will they eat? Dramamilk didn't say

It's been 14 episodes and still no acceptance of that invite no matter how inviting the Chairman works to make it.

EDIT: After some consideration, maybe DongHoon will make a counteroffer to the chairman and invite him to JH bar.  I'm sure the Chairman will have a great time there.

If Dramamilk got it right,

"How can a little girl like you .  .  .  how .  .  .  pity an adult like me. . . . To me, it hurts my heart so much so I can't live like this."

It means the DH has drawn a line between him and JiAn; the writer has done what she said she would do, write a healing drama. 

It seems like the healing will be a gentle rain falling on all.  Therefore YH will be encompassed in that gentle rain and I suppose so will GI, who will remember his better self and be motivated to behave that old impulse to do better.

My Mister is clearly a story from JiAn's perspective.  Because of the wiretapping she comes as close to omniscience as anyone can be in the drama.  She has imprinted on DongHoon like a duckling on a duck after birth.

Were I to name it the drama from DongHoon perspective I'd name it How to Save a Feral Child.  Makes me think a little of the stories of deep attachment that the rescued usually forms with the rescuer. 

• Like 1

@Munjay SOOMPIER don't give up!  There is 1 more episode.   The ending is going to be good!  this reader is 95% confident of that!  There is no time for decaration with somuch to be resolved.  cliff hanger at the end ...before the plunge!   No father -daughter for sure.  This is not a drama about how to raise a wild daughter!

• Like 2
  • LOL 12
  • Thanks 1

@nearsea @ccl82 PM&I is “Prime Minister & I” which starred Lee Bum Soo and Yoona.  LBS played the country’s youngest prime minister who’s a widower at 45 years old.  By some twist of fate, he ends up marrying a 28 year old reporter who covers him, played by Yoona.  It was a marriage of convenience that blossomed into love.  There were a lot of wonderful moments between them throughout the series which showed wonderful chemistry between the leads. Unfortunately, it succumbed to the usual KDrama tropes of noble idiocy and parting ways and time skip.  When they met again in the end, they just shook hands as if they were strangers who just met.  And in that last scene, they were standing so far apart. I remember how we reacted in the soompi thread at the time because it had so much potential in the beginning. 

I don’t want MA to turn out the same.  If this is going to be open-ended in the sense that we will never really know exactly how they feel for each other, at least i want it to retain the tension and still give us that feeling of the possibility of Dong Hoon and Ji An. But if it will end sadly, then let there be an acknowledgment of what they really feel for each other before they part ways.  :unsure:

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

So......hold your horses everyone. Hold your horses.

There is still hope. Let me explain why, bit by bit.

1) The scene where Dong Hoon runs to Ji An and finds her injured. It's practically a love confession from DH. It cut so deep. The only thing he didn't do was hold her. Or hug her. That would have been nice. But has he hugged anyone in this show so far? So Ji An, on the defensive, goes on the offence: you're an idiot to have helped me. She's a wounded street cat ready to claw. But what does he do? He sits down a cautious distance from her and says:

DH: "Thanks. Thank you. You've heard everything about me, but you're on my side. Thank you. I'll be happy with whatever happens from now. You--I don't want to see you suffering because of me. You, and me....how can you ...(someone like you) pity an adult like me? It hurts my heart so much. If I don't become happy, you'll continue to hurt because of me. And if I think of you hurting because of me, my heart will also hurt. So look! Look! You must watch how I live happily. None of it matters. I'll get humiliated? People talking about me? It's nothing. I can live happily. I will be happy. Let's be happy. Let's be happy."

JA: "I...Ahjussi...I really wanted you to live happily."

2) The hospital bed scene.

DH sits on the bed, by her side, next to her feet 

DH: If you know someone, if you know that person. No matter what that person does, it doesn't matter. I know you.

JA: (sighs) Ahjussi's sound - I like it all. Ahjussi's words, thoughts....the way you walk. All of it. What does it mean to be human? It's the first time I felt it.

3) The three brothers all have difficulty expressing love through physical touch. Look at that kiss between Ki Hoon and Yura -- he had so much difficulty even with that! And when Yura hugged him, it was so hard for him to hug her back at first. IMO, in (1) and (2), DH has expressed an intimacy with Ji An that's even closer than anything he has with his wife or anybody else in this world. 

(edit: look at this awesome shot of Yura trying to hug Ki Hoon. Ahaha)

20180516232326_5afc3ede4208e_1.jpg

4) I think DH needs to sort out Ji An's case first and he needs Yeon Hee's help. Once that's cleared, they can decide what to do next between themselves. Given what Yeon Hee knows about Ji An's feelings towards Dong Hoon and what she's done to protect him, compared with what she's done....even if DH does nothing I think she'll be too ashamed to stay in the marriage. And that family! I mean, you've got to remember they've been married 12, 13 years. He's not going to kick her out immediately. Plus they have a son.

5) The preview: OMO OMO! Yeon Sang Won going to Jeong Hee with flowers!!!! What's this all about!!! @chickfactor you called it!!! Even if they don't end up together, even if he just apologises for being a jerk...wow! wow! And surely, that must move Dong Hoon as well. Hey! He's not such a dumbo, he knows how to buy flowers!

6) The number one, two and three upvoted comments on Naver for that preview: "Hug her!" "Please hurry up and hug her!" "If he doesn't hug her...!"

We got a far deeper emotional confession here than I ever expected. To me, Dong Hoon expressed the greatest love he possibly could, within the confines and restrictions of who he is: a conservative, reticent, married man. He said he wouldn't care about what others think anymore, or about being humiliated -- because for her, he will become happy.

Now, a hug tomorrow would be nice....:lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 13

17 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@Munjay SOOMPIER don't give up!  There is 1 more episode.   The ending is going to be good!  this reader is 95% confident of that!  There is no time for decaration with somuch to be resolved.  cliff hanger at the end ...before the plunge!   No father -daughter for sure.  This is not a drama about how to raise a wild daughter!

@tiger457_stv, i think so, back again the writer give ambigue episode after confrontation too right ? we fire up at eps10, knock down at eps11and fire up again at eps12, so what the writer doing with flipflop hint, but yeah let's see   tomorow final.

Tonight episode left unpleasant feeling l got de ja vu at eps 11 too.

Can't wait Friday to wrap up all my anxiety.:confused:

• Like 2

I was reading live recap, then tried my luck with live stream on mobile, which sucked just as bad as on web. I then checked out the cut clips here, whilst still reading live recap. I guess it's true what they say. Being greedy gets you nowhere. 

I just hate the way YH talked to JA. It's like: Hello, this is big sistur YH. I iz gonna save you now....

However, I'm feeling slightly more positive having re--watched the bar scene. Noticing subtle expressions.  How content DH looks. 

YR running to the bar, DH smiling at that (remembering how he ran to JA?)

Will refrain from re-watching the scene where they reunited without subs. 

Again, wow, kudos to that person who predicted JA will live and work with JH. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, akhenaten said:

@sadiesmith  on 1 and 3, agree with you wholeheartedly.  A lesser-skilled actor would have turned Dong Hoon into a caricature, a man who walks around like he has chronic constipation instead of a deep-seated loneliness.  And the gap in age, background and experiences would have been very much evident.  Of course, the chemistry of LSK and LJE was really critical in making everything work. Without it, it would have been difficult to make everyone believe and become invested in a love blossoming between them. The director really hit gold when they were cast together.  I wonder if he already saw that chemistry early on.

on no. 2, I think I re-watched that scene countless times and I’m beginning to understand why many found it very romantic and thought he was calling her name with longing while some, like myself, saw betrayal and hurt, and still others saw a determination to get to the truth.  I think what Dong Hoon felt in that moment inside the theater was all of the above.  And LSK brilliantly acted out all those conflicting feelings in that one moment.  So i wouldn’t be surprised if Ji An will be at a loss as to how to react. :)

@akhenaten before seeing episode 15, this reader has to say:

@akhenaten  you are wrong.  This reader watched the ending of episode 14 for the 4th time and it is clear what he was thinking.  He already forgave Ji-an knowing intimately her situation.  He knows what she did was for survival, not of just herself but grand-ma.
In similar situation, he may be forced to do the same thing.

If he was disgusted and angry by her invasion of his privacy, he would not have dwelled on how she call or run to him to support him in his moment of mental anguish moment of needs!

If he was angry, he could vote with his phone.... by saying nothing.  They already said their farewell earlier, there is no reason to contact her!  So  long farewell auf wiedersehen goodbye!  So he held the precious phone,  the last little thread between them (remember how desperate he felt when he thought that thread was broken, how empty was the train ride home when he should be happy about being director) and he hesitates and hesitates...then says Li Ji-an Li Ji-an call me to the life line.   That MEANS JI-AN COME BACK TO ME... I WANT YOU BY MY SIDE, WHAT WE HAVE CANNOT BE BROKEN...I UNDERSTAND AND FORGIVE YOU!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@akhenaten before seeing episode 15, this reader has to say:

@akhenaten  you are wrong.  This reader watched the ending of episode 14 for the 4th time and it is clear what he was thinking.  He already forgave Ji-an knowing intimately her situation.  He knows what she did was for survival, not of just herself but grand-ma.
In similar situation, he may be forced to do the same thing.

If he was disgusted and angry by her invasion of his privacy, he would not have dwelled on how she call or run to him to support him in his moment of mental anguish moment of needs!

If he was angry, he could vote with his phone.... by saying nothing.  They already said their farewell earlier, there is no reason to contact her!  So  long farewell auf wiedersehen goodbye!  So he held the precious phone,  the last little thread between them (remember how desperate he felt when he thought that thread was broken, how empty was the train ride home when he should be happy about being director) and he hesitates and hesitates...then says Li Ji-an Li Ji-an call me to the life line.   That MEANS JI-AN COME BACK TO ME... I WANT YOU BY MY SIDE, WHAT WE HAVE CANNOT BE BROKEN...I UNDERSTAND AND FORGIVE YOU!

@tiger457_stv  i love how optimistic you are about everything.  I’m too much of a realist sometimes.  I’d much rather it’s what you think it means than what I think it means. :)

• Like 3

While no one else on Naver seems to be shipping them romantically, they're all in tears. I think this drama has really shaken many in S Korea. I remember talking to a friend who moved to Seoul with his wife, and he told me how unhappy he was there the first year. People were rough, unkind, took advantage of him, pushed him around, literally and figuratively. He found Seoul a very miserable place.

But what this show has done, I think, is to comfort people. To show them how human kindness works, and encourage them to be kinder to one another. How often do we lend a helping hand to someone outside our families? I've felt so alone all my life. This show has really comforted me. That perhaps I should try to reach out. This drama, this story has hit me so deep in the heart. It's never happened to me before. I must try to be happy too. These are just some of the many many comments pouring in.

Life is hard. People's hearts have hardened. But a single show about human kindness (and love) has showed them all how it could be so, so different.

(and hurry up with that hug, damnit!)

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 5

Waiting for the final subtitles. First impression of episode 15: anti-climactic just like in real life :lol: All the running didn't manifest to anything in today's episode. Makes me wonder why did CD (janitor) called DH about Jian where he could have taken her to the hospital himself? I can't believe this show focused more on the law aspect of the wiretapping in the upcoming final episode. I was expecting a rush of emotions in episode 15 but for the first time it didn't capture my heart compared to all other episodes. The show forgot to work on DH's character and just dropped the ball on him. Same upright nice guy after 95% of the drama without making any big leaps. Just a friendly neighborhood guy. But at least the show delivered the answer that Jian's feelings remain unrequited. Please show don't press on that anymore:rolleyes: Leave it be. 

I guess one thing that is heartwarming- Jian and Jung Hee found each other. I am very happy in that regard. Those two need to be in each other's lives and have a real mother-daughter relationship. Yes ladies go off to the sunset, heal together, and be happy. 

Another TEASE:rolleyes:: DH arrived at JH's bar with everyone sitting down. He sat next to Jian and beaming of happiness while talking with his friends. He even smiled widely for the first time. He is more attentive with people around while sitting next to Jian with side glances between them. So what now Ajusshi? He looks too happy that Jian is there beside him, so he can come every night and just hangs out with her. Then goes home to his miserable marriage and convinces himself to be happy while walking at night. Ok show this is so ridiculous and completely frustrating.

Finale episode tomorrow: No wonder TVN extended the drama to 1.5 hours. I am not expecting much except everyone will have their own version of a  happy ending k-drama style. I will wait and see this through the end  but I guess the PD/writer didn't have what it takes to defy social conventions after all. At least no one died today not even grandma. Whatever the ending is I just hope it will justify all the hooplas and tension being built up between DH and Jian because otherwise what a complete dud.. This is one series where I say the journey is so intensely beautiful but the ending is schizophrenic.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, justamom said:

OMO OMO! Yeon Sang Won going to Jeong Hee with flowers!!!! What's this all about!!! @chickfactor you called it!!! Even if they don't end up together, even if he just apologises for being a jerk...wow! wow! And surely, that must move Dong Hoon as well. Hey! He's not such a dumbo, he knows how to buy flowers!

@justamom Wait, wait, wait..... was Sang Won in his monk garb with the flowers? I think that will tell us what their ending will be maybe? 

• Like 2