[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

It's already Wednesday for you lucky people! It is still Tuesday evening here in Southern California, US. One more day to wait out.

I wanted to Thank whoever posted the link for the fanfic for MA. I read through most of them today. The first one about JA's birthday I enjoyed the most. I don't want this to be true but If the ending for MA is not what you hoped for (a confession from DH, a hug, or a full-blown shippers ending ha-ha) then reading the birthday fanfic will partially make things right and soothe your heart. Don't really know how to do this but it is at archiveofourown.org/works/14463405.

Reading another fanfic reminded me that I thought JA wanted to buy a pack of wrapped tomatoes that DH ran to give to her. But they were persimmons! Wondering if they will make another appearance.

I like the song 'Ordinary Day' mainly because Jung Seung-Hwan sings it. He was on Season 4 of K-Pop Star, a singing competition. His rendition of 'I Want to Fall in Love' is so full of emotion. (it's on youtube. Don't know how to insert it here sorry). I read somewhere that IU/Lee Jieun wrote the lyrics for 'Ordinary Day' and worked closely with JSH while he rehearsed. He really admired her talent and professionalism.

Well, Happy Viewing for you folks who get to watch it tonight!

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

http://parkdonghoons.tumblr.com/post/173941369292/hey-there-awesome-person-could-you-do-this

For those of you who enjoy a well-written fanfic about Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An, check this one out.  It’s quite beautiful and the characterization is on point.  Leave the author a message too while you’re at it.  :)

Dangerous.

• LOL 6

6 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Exec. Director Wang (Age 75) / Jeon Kuk-Hwan

A "jin-gol" down to his bones.

He has a lot of connections, so he made great contributions to bringing SamAn E&C to where it is now. He believed that he will become the company's owner in the future so he always spoke formally to Chairman Jang even though they were the same age. But Do Joon-Young suddenly became the CEO. The insolence!

(I don't know what "jin-gol" means.)

I'm checking with my friend on the other one, but I think Jin-Gol means royal family. Basically he's blue-blooded, from the privileged class.

https://namu.wiki/w/진골

OMG after days and nights of thinking about the show the end is almost here! I can' believe it's Wednesday already. I'll be live-watching, anyone else with me? I need to concentrate really hard on listening, but I will try to post some  live updates here if I can!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, africandramalover said:

She has hit all the notes in this screenplay. Tension, High stakes, pacing that doesn't fizzle out, compelling characters, compelling secondary characters, dialogue... If this was an exam, she's scored an A* (star), but let's wait for the finale, as a certain show earlier this year taught me.... :D 

I don't know about you guys, but I am seriously tense. As in, stomach in knots tense. There's a mixture of dread and anticipation inside me like you wouldn't believe! Will she pay off what she has written, or will stuff hit the fan? I say she will pay it off. However, the wait is still killing me.

I think the tension that has built up is mostly because I want the catharsis that a well written story should give. That's why tension and high stakes are built into a story, so that the pay off at the end gives an emotional release to the viewer. The resolution and emotional rush at the end of a story is the feeling we go to cinemas or watch television for.

Yes that's why I need to do a major rewrite! I had a seminar recently with an acclaimed writer and she talked about building tension, and I was watching My Ahjussi at the same time and realised I got it all wrong! Tension isn't about throwing drama/events in one after the other, it's the sloooow, slooowwww build-up of every day, mundane things like...eating....drinking....and walking home in the night after work....and then... BOOM!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

43 minutes ago, popai5 said:

It's already Wednesday for you lucky people! It is still Tuesday evening here in Southern California, US. One more day to wait out.

I wanted to Thank whoever posted the link for the fanfic for MA. I read through most of them today. The first one about JA's birthday I enjoyed the most. I don't want this to be true but If the ending for MA is not what you hoped for (a confession from DH, a hug, or a full-blown shippers ending ha-ha) then reading the birthday fanfic will partially make things right and soothe your heart. Don't really know how to do this but it is at archiveofourown.org/works/14463405.

Reading another fanfic reminded me that I thought JA wanted to buy a pack of wrapped tomatoes that DH ran to give to her. But they were persimmons! Wondering if they will make another appearance.

I like the song 'Ordinary Day' mainly because Jung Seung-Hwan sings it. He was on Season 4 of K-Pop Star, a singing competition. His rendition of 'I Want to Fall in Love' is so full of emotion. (it's on youtube. Don't know how to insert it here sorry). I read somewhere that IU/Lee Jieun wrote the lyrics for 'Ordinary Day' and worked closely with JSH while he rehearsed. He really admired her talent and professionalism.

Well, Happy Viewing for you folks who get to watch it tonight!

IU didn't wrote the lyrics for 'An Ordinary Day', IU only wrote for another MA OST 'Dear Moon' sung by her long time composer partner Kim Je Hwi. IU did wrote for Jung Seung Hwan's single called 'The Snowman' but it was for JSH's comeback album last February 2018.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, aisling said:

I was excited about MA since last year when it was announced. I like both LSK and IU and was rooting for them as a romantic couple even before the first episode. I was quite disappointed when the creators decided to address a “controversy” and blow my ship. Even now I have no idea how they’re going to end it. If DH doesn’t confess his feelings and therefore people keep saying there’s no romantic relationship between them, I’ll be really heartbroken.

And this shot of LSK... hmmm... what can I say? Makes my knees weak,

my heart skip a beat... and another body reaction that’s not safe to say aloud :glasses:

@aisling  This reader was looking over some Korean show for his parents, when a flying lady bug caught his eyes.  The moment the creature was squashed by this cold impudent little brad and the train ride with Adult/Growing Up song playing, this reader was hooked!!!  Amazing that by episode 14, this reader is  rooting for that not so cold and NICE young woman and Ajusshi!!!

13 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Lol!! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am a long way from being a full fledged screenwriter, but watching brilliant shows like this gives me the motivation to keep writing!

My plan is to avoid Soompi from Wednesday 4pm EAT (10pm Korea time) till Friday. I will watch both episodes back to back because I am not going to torture myself with waiting for episode 16 after watching episode 15. Then I will log on here and find acres of brilliant analyses and comments, catch up as I process my thoughts, and maybe give my verdict.

Depending on how this show is wrapped up, I will either celebrate or blow a gasket. I think that it will be celebration all round tho.

Hmmm. I will restrain myself till Friday morning because I cannot bring myself to watch the last episodes with a break in between. I am so tense right now! The anticipation has formed a very hot lump at the top of my stomach.

I intend to rewatch the show in one sitting after we are done, then I watch again just to take notes. Right now I just need everything to wash over me. This script has already opened my mind to a few ideas I should broaden in my script, little things I can use for greater emotional effect.

She has done something amazing with this show. Every writer wants to impact the viewer or reader deeply when they write. They want the story to remain in the hearts and minds of those receiving it. The satisfaction that someone was deeply touched by your story is the highest form of payment that you can receive as a writer. That's the whole point of writing.

As we say here, I want what she's smoking!! Writing is not easy. To get to the level where you write such a story takes hard work and a bit of time. Very few are talented enough to hit the right notes on the first try, but for most people, time, a few screenplays and countless rewrites is what it takes to get there.

Writing is not easy. I must reiterate. To take a basic skeleton "poor girl rich man" story and add such flesh to it, mould it and sculpt it and make it into a "living being" like My Mister is really genius level writing. This is where we all aim to be. To get to the core of the characters and tell a story that changes viewers irrevocably. This is my dream as a writer. 

I am in awe of her. Seriously. 

Thanks for the pic :D It's good to put a face to the name.

She has hit all the notes in this screenplay. Tension, High stakes, pacing that doesn't fizzle out, compelling characters, compelling secondary characters, dialogue... If this was an exam, she's scored an A* (star), but let's wait for the finale, as a certain show earlier this year taught me.... :D 

I don't know about you guys, but I am seriously tense. As in, stomach in knots tense. There's a mixture of dread and anticipation inside me like you wouldn't believe! Will she pay off what she has written, or will stuff hit the fan? I say she will pay it off. However, the wait is still killing me.

I think the tension that has built up is mostly because I want the catharsis that a well written story should give. That's why tension and high stakes are built into a story, so that the pay off at the end gives an emotional release to the viewer. The resolution and emotional rush at the end of a story is the feeling we go to cinemas or watch television for.

@africandramalover  This reader think that the writer has family who are engineers, or is familiar with then construction engineering business.  People say that the best writing occur when you tell your or your friend's life story!... since you know the story intimately, there will be few logical mistakes.  Modern audiences are impatient, tough, and picky and they have the internet with which to complain...  Big glaring errors will turn them off fast, and there goes your screen play, however good the rest of the story may be.

This reader has been thinking about writing an internal logic check program so that people can make a story and it will look to see if the sequence of events makes sense.  This won't be simple, since there are numerous logic checks that need to be done, but the writer could add additional logic checks as they go... just like the smart phone can recognize your voice and type for you.

In reality,  bouncing the story off some one else will likely work the same, and less cumbersome.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

@justamom Was it the Loveholic song? I was so obsessed with that song. They dominated most kdrama OSTs in the beginning.

Do you mean this song? I actually meant the title of Jung Seung Hwan's OST reminds me of the movie title One Fine Day. But this is One Fine Song too 

Oh man, this totally tells our age :lol:

• Like 4

@aisling @sadiesmith  sadiesmith said "He touched her arm/sleeve in episode 1 or 2 when he tried to get her to look at him.  So much chemistry even in that picture alone.  You guys should read the comments on the Youtube clip of the theater scene in episode 14.  So many said it's the most romantic scene ever, and the two are not even in the same space."

This romantic non romance in episode 14, where 2 people are separated but are tied by an incredibly strong bond reminds me of the movie "Il Mare" from 2000 which was remade in America as the Lake House in 2005. This reader saw the 1st, but not the 2nd.  It is a wonderful movie, where during 1.6 hours there were barely 500 short lines of conversation!

@justamom Why is it that unspoken body language with a few sparse words are often more effective than long drawn out conversation, in riling our emotion?  This reader thinks that feelings as expressed by body language with a few key words, show the turmoil inside the mind of the characters....  (engineer choked up and could barely say Yeah, when asked if when they meet again, they will be warm toward each other).  Long conversation on the other end just distract us from merging our self into the story... 

To immerse our self in a story we must empathize...to empathize we must understand... to understand we must see, feel, hear...from the viewpoint of the story teller... I think.

In this highly romantic non-romance story which is My Ajusshi, we are drawn to these fascinating characters who show outward coldness, but one can discern the boiling torment under the surface that keeps threaten to erupt...  and when they occasionally do, we feel as if it was we who suffer (Ji-an break down in ep9, Engineer punching the wall shouting why why in ep 11, Ji-an hugging the phone crying, engineer breath raggedly in agony)…. these scenes need no word.

• Like 12

@mujay I feel so strongly about that Best-IU-Drama poll that you got me to log on to Twitter after several years, haha!

@akhenaten Chingu-ya, that fanfic made me blush. :wub: I hope DH goes for it when he's not under the influence of alcohol though!

Ramadan Mubarak to all those celebrating, and Happy My Ahjussi Day to everyone! #MayOurShipSailSmoothly

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

@mujay I feel so strongly about that Best-IU-drama poll that you got me to log on to Twitter after several years, haha!

@akhenaten Chingu-ya, that fanfic made me blush. :wub: I hope DH goes for it when he's not under the influence of alcohol though!

Ramadan Mubarak to all those celebrating, and Happy My Ahjussi Day to everyone! #MayOurShipSailSmoothly

Ramadan Mubarak too.

I must keep myself away from those fanfics. Shame on me.

Dont mind me, just passing by.

Just a few final comments. I think I just may "ride the submarine" (go off the grid) like @africandramalover  and avoid the forums and abstain from watching until both episodes are released, so I can enjoy the finale in one sitting, rather than torture myself after Ep.15.

Hmm, I don't know. I may not resist the siren call.

Okay, so I'm rewatching parts of Ep.3 and had a sad thought:

We're all wondering how things will be resolved. Dong-Hoon forgave Ji-An already for the phone-tapping and all that, and I thought everything would be internal. Once all the shenanigans were revealed, the right people would be punished within the company, but like the original bribe, they would not want to involve law enforcement because the company's reputation would be damaged.

Then I realized after rewatching Ep.3 that that is not all.

It's one thing to get PDW demoted and sent to Pusan because once they discover the truth, they can just bring him back.

But she screwed up the deal with the Chinese company. And that was huge. That hurt the company pretty seriously.

Joon-Young should get some of the blame for this, but I don't know how Ji-An can escape unscathed.

Ugh, I no like!

No funerals, no car accidents, and no tofu please.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

I’m sorry guys. I know talking about the age gap issue is like an exercise in futility.  There are just some who may never understand why some of us (or a lot of us) don’t think it’s an issue. But I just decided to pop into DB and check out some of their comments on Episode 14. What’s really funny is that there are still some people who see Lee Ji An as a child and label her feelings for Dong Hoon as immature.  Some even say that if they do pursue a romantic relationship, it might be labeled as pedophilia.  Really??? Really??? Last time i checked, pedophilia refers to a psychological disorder wherein the person affected by it is sexually attracted to prepubescent children.   At twenty-one years old, Lee Ji An is nowehere near prepubescent.  She may be physically small compared to him but I’ve never gotten the vibe from Dong Hoon that he sees her as a child.  I think he’s only ever referred to her as a kid once in the early episodes but he never treats her like one. Sheesh.

@africandramalover @chickfactor  I’m thinking of avoiding livestreaming Episodes 15 and 16 aside from avoiding any forum, recap or anything that would spoil me because I want the subs.  Whether I soar to the high heavens or crash and burn, I would have been fully immersed in the experience. And then I’ll come over here and either spazz myself silly or weep like a lunatic. :lol:

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

8 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Just a few final comments. I think I just may "ride the submarine" (go off the grid) like @africandramalover  and avoid the forums and abstain from watching until both episodes are released, so I can enjoy the finale in one sitting, rather than torture myself after Ep.15.

Okay, so I'm rewatching parts of Ep.3 and had a sad thought:

We're all wondering how things will be resolved. Dong-Hoon forgave Ji-An already for the phone-tapping and all that, and I thought everything would be internal. Once all the shenanigans were revealed, the right people would be punished within the company, but like the original bribe, they would not want to involve law enforcement because the company's reputation would be damaged.

Then I realized after rewatching Ep.3 that that is not all.

It's one thing to get PDW demoted and sent to Pusan because once they discover the truth, they can just bring him back.

But she screwed up the deal with the Chinese company. And that was huge. That hurt the company pretty seriously.

Joon-Young should get some of the blame for this, but I don't know how Ji-An can escape unscathed.

Ugh, I no like!

No funerals, no car accidents, and no tofu please.

Actually the company never lost that deal, of course DJY get a credit,  he went to China and got back the contract at least he get benefit from 10 million he payed to Jian.

Yes, like I says the real victim in demotion case is PDW, but whom  believed in ockham razor theory this circle is simply resolve  when DJY get fired, and PDW get back his position.

I think the writer always ahead us and give us head up to prepared  the viewers to accepted her Pov.(wacth the argument between Jian-JY).

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, mujay said:

Actually the company never lost that deal, of course DJY get a credit,  he went to China and got back the contract at least he get benefit from 10 million he payed to Jian.

Yes, like I says the real victim in demotion case is PDW, but whom  believed in ockham razor theory this circle is simply resolve  when DJY get fired, and PDW get back his position.

I think the writer always ahead us and give us head up to prepared  the viewers to accepted her Pov.(wacth the argument between Jian-JY).

OMG, I forgot about that.

You're amazing, thank you. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@fauna, 1000 thanks for this.  LSK is such a sweetheart, and generous like @timidjock0819said upstairs. I so wish we could see the whole press conference with subs.  If you come across fun or interesting tidbits like this, would you please share some more if you have time?

You’re very welcome! He certainly is such a talented actor, and an all-around nice guy. I’ve watched most of his dramas in the past, and checked out MA because of him. He’s always charming, and what a voice! I never expected MA to become my most favorite work of all he has done though. What a surprise. If you can find it, he is also good in Taereung National Village as the second lead who gets his girlfriend stolen from him by Lee Min Ki.

Here are some adorable pics of him and IU laughing together over what the director said during the press conference.

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

OMG, I forgot about that.

You're amazing, thank you. :)

:blush: you are welcome dear.

I need to thank you too, for all the inspiring post and  i like the freshness favour at each of your post.

For all your post you deserve a warmth hug..lol.

@h2ogirl:lol: let's give Jieun support to grab Baeksang award next year then.

@akhenaten, hmmm so bored with parenthood issue, does they'll tried to"kid" themself till the end:confused:

• Like 9

15 hours ago, sadiesmith said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'll top yours with this, a perfect song for our Ajusshi:

Hey Jude

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

Hey Jude, don't be afraid
You were made to go out and get her
The minute you let her under your skin
Then you begin to make it better

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain
Don't carry the world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah

Hey Jude, don't let me down
You have found her, now go and get her
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start to make it better

So let it out and let it in, hey Jude, begin
You're waiting for someone to perform with
And don't you know that it's just you, hey Jude, you'll do
The movement you need is on your shoulder
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah yeah

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her under your skin
Then you'll begin to make it
Better better better better better better, oh

@sadiesmith  This reader doesn't lose easily... So here is my song for Ji-an.  see if you can top this! hahaha

Every breath Ajusshi take  2018

Every drink you take
Every sigh you make
Every wall you break
Every step you take
I'll be taping you!

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every place you stay
I'll be watching you!

Now, can't you see
All the pain in me
How my poor heart aches, with each sob you make!

Every time we meet
In snow cold and sleet
Every meal we eat
All of your good deed
I'm repaying you!

Since I've left you I've been lost without a trace
I sigh at night that I can't see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I feel lonely and I long for your embrace
I cry Ajusshi Ajushi... please.....

Oh can't you see
What you mean to me
How my poor soul aches, the distance we make

How I have regret
You would pay my debt
Without you my life's dead
My Halmeoni'd be sad
All I owe to you!

(repeat)

WARNING ORIGINAL SONG BELOW

EVEVERY BREATH YOU TAKE written by STING  Sang by THE POLICE 1983

Every breath you take
 Every move you make
 Every bond you break
 Every step you take
 I'll be watching you

Every single day
 Every word you say
 Every game you play
 Every night you stay
 I'll be watching you

Oh, can't you see
 You belong to me

How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make
 Every vow you break
 Every smile you fake
 Every claim you stake
 I'll be watching you

Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace
 I dream at night I can only see your face
 I look around but it's you I can't replace
 I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
 I keep crying baby, baby please

Oh, can't you see
 You belong to me
 How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make
 Every vow you break
 Every smile you fake
 Every claim you stake
 I'll be watching you

Every move you make
 Every step you take
 I'll be watching you

• Like 5
  • LOL 7

Just want to add that those Maxim coffee sticks in MA are one of the greatest PPL in K-dramas I have ever seen. So bleak and so effective. After an absolutely horrific day, even after she gets one of her beatings by Kwang-Il, she boils that water in her kettle and treats herself to Maxim.

Almost as good as in "Shopping King Louie."

The worst PPL on this show for me are the Chevrolets. (Sorry, Chevy drivers.)

Quiznos is pretty up there in ridiculous-ness. When Ji-An pushes a sandwich to Ki-Bum saying, "these are freshly toasted," I just had to LOL. At least they are somewhat less in-your-face than Subway.

I also love that detail that one of the PPL is Samsung phones, and Ji-An has an older model phone. Sometimes you watch a drama and everyone has the newest model and it's so unrealistic when a character is supposed to be poor or something.

• Like 7
  • LOL 8

3 hours ago, justamom said:

Yes that's why I need to do a major rewrite! I had a seminar recently with an acclaimed writer and she talked about building tension, and I was watching My Ahjussi at the same time and realised I got it all wrong! Tension isn't about throwing drama/events in one after the other, it's the sloooow, slooowwww build-up of every day, mundane things like...eating....drinking....and walking home in the night after work....and then... BOOM!

Such is the life of writers.... Always rewriting. Writing is rewriting is rewriting. Keep going!!

2 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@africandramalover  This reader think that the writer has family who are engineers, or is familiar with then construction engineering business.  People say that the best writing occur when you tell your or your friend's life story!... since you know the story intimately, there will be few logical mistakes.

I think she also has worked with sound, or is fascinated by sound, as someone mentioned earlier. Another Oh Hae Young was about a sound engineer. This drama has Sound as a key character. How she could make someone's breathing such a big deal is something amazing!

1 hour ago, tiger457_stv said:

@justamom Why is it that unspoken body language with a few sparse words are often more effective than long drawn out conversation, in riling our emotion?  This reader thinks that feelings as expressed by body language with a few key words, show the turmoil inside the mind of the characters....  (engineer choked up and could barely say Yeah, when asked if when they meet again, they will be warm toward each other).  Long conversation on the other end just distract us from merging our self into the story... 

It's a basic principle of screenwriting called "Show... don't tell." make the character act out the emotion instead of talking about it. Show how the character reacts to an action or emotion.

I'm trying to find the quote by Alfred Hitchcock or someone big who said that if you remove the dialogue the movie should still be able to tell the story....

Have you watched 3Iron? It executes the "show don't tell" principle so well!

17 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@africandramalover @chickfactor  I’m thinking of avoiding livestreaming Episodes 15 and 16 aside from avoiding any forum, recap or anything that would spoil me because I want the subs.  Whether I soar to the high heavens or crash and burn, I would have been fully immersed in the experience. And then I’ll come over here and either spazz myself silly or weep like a lunatic. :lol:

Join me!! Friday Resistance Army!

27 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I have self control like a vice grip, but very little patience. My capacity to delay gratification is amazing. But then I also procrastinate like hell..... 

I know myself....If I watch Ep 15 tonight, I don't think I will concentrate on anything on Thursday. :D I am a stretched rubber band as it is..... I have reserved the whole of Friday just to deal with the aftermath of this drama. I will get all my work done, hit the gym, do assignments etc before Thursday evening. I will only keep the soundtrack of 2018 RAINBOW on loop on my devices to help me cope.

FRIDAY!! Nothing but My Ajussi!

Here's my response to The IU poll: My Mister is obviously her best role to date.... no debating that. 

I noticed her as Cindy in Producers, her character was terribly amusing to me. I have always had my eye on her since that scandal in 2012. She gained a new fan in me then.

• Like 10
  • LOL 2