[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

48 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

Finally, Hotaru! Arghhh but not in a good environment! I have been replaying that scenes. Love love the emotional stares of Yujo. Finally seeing some emotions from that face! I believe this is another adjustments made towards DM's character where they described how even the Japanese loath the Mushin Society a.k.a the Ronins. It was sad how they're living to survive on their own and still can't avoid the scorns. DM and the gang are slowly creating enemies from the Japan camp.

Thanks for bringing this up! I totally forgot to mention the Ronins in my last post - that was another of my favorite scenes from ep 12. I loved how they made time to explain briefly the meaning of being one of the Ronins. 

I think DM mentioned that they don't care about each other only that they still have use for one another. I don't think that's the complete truth, I think he said that to scare that douchebag that was messing with them. In truth, it looked like DM found the family he had always wanted with Yujo and gang. Especially since he cared enough to tell Hotoru to not turn around as he sliced one of the guys for hitting her.

Totally love how they showed emotion behind Yujo's character as well. It shows that he's also human and not just a killing machine. I really hope they show more Ronin story. 

• Like 6

big hint? + predictions

- Allen was bribed by Lee Wan Ik

- bag in locker (Allen office)

- EC was scolded by Allen

- Allen and Kyle plot? EC is involved or they uses him as bait?

- americans release prisoner

- EC chewing transfer copy (he probably leave after Joseph's death because we still have the original transfer document, AS cry in preview because EC send goodbye letter?) 

- Joseph die (EC stepfather, american citizen, missionary)

- LVI will sacrifice AeSun's husband, his family will deny him and annul the arranged marriage? (Kyle in game when Aesun will be embarassed or broken).  He looks like a scapegoat (fool, moron, loser :)) Maybe LVI sacrifice AeSun husband in other incident?

- Im sure minister Allen use money vs LVI. Question is when this happen?

LVI slowly dig his grave as villain 

• Like 2

@Seoulmemories I am not sure about friendship. I think their relationship is borderline between friend and a loved ones in which they decided not to cross the line to the latter. I think they both have affections towards one another but this time it is on DM's part that shown more, perhaps unintentionally. He worries , and we know what comes after that, usually. I don't think he realizes that part of him yet since he's been over-thinking about the meeting on the 15th and AS most of the time. We know that ahead of that meeting he knows the hard truth that it will never be between As and him. As of his feeling for HN, it will come to him later, that is my hope for KES to make it comes true...hehehe... I am just a hopeless spectator of DM-HN story. Oh and the actress who plays Hotaru did mention in her interview that the relationship with DM may seem close but she does not have romantic feelings towards him. I also think they are more sisterly, brotherly kinda relationship.

@q4q4, erm... I think there is a misunderstanding here. I believe that part about not caring about one another is actually DM talking about the relationship between the ronins (DM) and the Japanese Minister, and not between DM and his teammates. DM and the minister are using each other, hence why that minister doesn't dare to touch DM's people.:grin:

@Ahpheng Love you, you rascal! :blush: The best meds for me today! I hate my job and today they sent me appointment letter as a member in an ICT working group. Dang! The worst nightmare I can ever expect but you cure it my friend! I am still gonna hate my job but here is another warm hug for you! Keep it coming cos you are making me breathing another day with these HN-DM goodies. :kiss_wink:

• Like 5

th_devil69.gif Speak of the devil..

Posted too soon.. we're not forgotten..th_draak.gif

August 13, 2018

“Mr. Sunshine” Tops Most Buzzworthy Dramas List For 2nd Consecutive Week

Source: Soompi by jeeelim5

âMr. Sunshineâ Tops Most Buzzworthy Dramas List For 2nd Consecutive Week

“Mr. Sunshine” is maintaining its strong showing as the Most Buzzworthy Drama of the week!

On August 13, the Most Buzzworthy lists for dramas and drama actors were released for the second week of August. Cable channel dramas continue to have strong showings on both charts, taking six out of ten spots on the drama list and nine out of ten spots on the actors list.

“Mr. Sunshine” and JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” maintained their top two spots for the second consecutive week and were followed by tvN’s “Wife I Know,” OCN’s “Voice 2,” and SBS’s “30 but 17” in third to fifth place respectively.

See the full list of dramas below:

1. tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” (18.47 percent)
2. JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty” (10.47 percent)
3. tvN’s “Wife I Know” (8.31 percent)
4. OCN’s “Voice 2” (8.2 percent)
5. SBS’s “30 but 17” (7.58 percent)
6. JTBC’s “Life” (6.39 percent)
7. KBS2’s “Are You Human, Too?” (5.46 percent)
8. MBC’s “Time” (4.61 percent)
9. tvN’s “Let’s Eat 3” (4.38 percent)
10. SBS’s “Your Honor” (3.97 percent)

The cast of “Mr. Sunshine” continues to shine on the list of Most Buzzworthy actors, taking up half of the list.

Check out the full list of actors below:

1. Kim Tae Ri (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
2. Lee Byung Hun (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
3. Yoo Yeon Seok (tvn’s “Mr. Sunshine”)

4. Im Soo Hyang (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
5. Cha Eun Woo (JTBC’s “My ID is Gangnam Beauty”)
6. Shin Hye Sun (SBS’s “30 but 17”)
7. Lee Jin Wook (OCN’s “Voice 2”)
8. Han Ji Min (tvN’s “Wife I Know”)
9. Byun Yo Han (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)
10. Kim Min Jung (tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine”)

Good Data Corporation releases weekly lists for Most Buzzworthy dramas and actors by collecting data from online articles, blogs, community posts, social media, and videos. Their latest lists took data from August 6 to August 12 on 26 dramas that are currently airing or are set to air soon.

Source (1)

• Like 8

Thanks for the video @charray ice bucket challenge. Lmao.:D

Actually I got a few burning questions about AS and EC:

~ Why doesn't EC protest or throw a fit whenever his room get searched?

~Who runs the apothecary that allows them free access? Wouldn't somebody else read their mails?

~Whats the point of gifting AS the new tech gun, what about the bullets? Is there some mail order channel after she runs out?

~The bar that the guys hang out must be the latest chill place in town, it is always packed and they always run into each other there :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

It is amazing how KES's Mr Sunshine make a poet, a writer, a serenade out of all of us. Every forum site which discussed this drama will have commentators (even you guys in this Soompi site) beautifully describing the scene, the scenario, the characters, the history of this drama up to the point I feel like collecting all of them and made it into a book..hehehe..seriously, the PD should think about this

Anyway, the second most amazing part about this drama is that, it does not matter which Team you are, for some reason (so far..or at least as far as I've browsed through each forum sites) no one really expect the interaction scenes between the lead lady and the 3 men to be more romantic than what has been shown. What I mean by more romantic is like those romance scenes we normally watch in any Kdrama. KES and the PD seemed to keep to the actual romantic scene expected during that period, I guess..hehe..For example:

1. When EC and AS was on the boat and AS was rocking it, normally we would expect AS to accidentally fell into the river and EC will jump to save her. And we have the OTP looking-at-each-other-lovingly- in-the-water scene. But there was none..

2. The handshake scene. I would have expect to see a close up scene where his thumb probably caressing her backhand and then she pulled away shyly. But there was none..

3. The hug scene. Like everyone, I expected him to return the hug. No..none of that

4. The rifle scene, I expected of course a close up scene of him breathing down her neck while trying to teach her to hold the rifle properly and he looked nervous... Again, none..

5. DM and AS scene after the shooting. He was very close to her. He could have just pull her to him and almost kiss her, as expected in any Kdrama..but nothing like that happen.

6. The holding of AS's skirt scene. DM could have pull her down and let her face to be at the same level of his, as if as he wanted to kiss her..again, nothing doing..

7. The playing billiard scene. I would expect, HS presumed AS did know how to hold the pool stick and he would teach her, the way EC taught her holding the rifle..but none..

Even without all those expected scenes, for some bizarre reason, the scenes that we have been shown so far can make our heart flutter and, at least for me, make me giddy..In the latest episode, my ultimate favourite would be the conversation by the lake scene (where EC spelled the words in Hangul to show her) and of course, the letter exchanged scene..that was enough for me actually.

The scenes that I hope to see more (hope to be developed more) is the scene where he shoot the rifles with her (practising I mean) and the horse-riding scene. In fact, I predicted, contrary to the speculations in some other forum sites which expected that the beach and watching the sunset scene would trigger a kiss, I don't think so..for some reason, the PD is saving it (or maybe not) probably almost the end of the drama..but then again, I may be wrong..hehehe

Anyway, the third most amazing part of this drama which I need to vent out here is the fact that KES and the PD make AS to be at same level as EC. Not once, AS's character was downplayed as a woman who cannot do anything at all. She kept her poise as a noble woman but she never let anyone intimidated her in any way.  Even at the time when AS could have been so shaken after knowing EC is about to leave her, she still can composed herself to run the errands for her organisation. Not many drama actually allow the lead lady to have the same level playing field as the lead man while the lead man merely watch her from afar, allowing her to grow on her own. The way EC supported her is by allowing her to do what her heart wanted to do.  At first, I was a bit disturbed by the fact that between the OTP,  it seems that AS was the one who loves  EC more but then again eventually, we were shown that part of her is not her weakness. KES made it as her strength. Her seemingly one-sided love seemed to make her more determined than ever. I love that about AS. I wish I have her courage, her tenacity when it comes to facing a struggle like she did. And  EC's character was expected to be this cold, wise and brave man but whenever AS is concerned, he is like a Love Fool..hehehe (as Hina described). Even so, he never once pull her back from what she was meant to do. I did expect a few times when she was in danger that EC would suddenly appear to rescue her (as any typical Kdrama would have done) but that was not the case for this OTP. They support each other by giving spaces for them to grow on their own while encouraging each other..I seriously love this OTP... I felt that they are actually the reflection of AS's parents especially when they rescued So Mi (the errand boy's sister). During those scenes, I was telling myself "So Mi is so lucky. She is protected by both the boyfriend and girlfriend"..hehehe

I was also thrown back by the unbalance part of the romance earlier, mainly because as I mentioned before, I was expecting a romance of equal side since the synopsis of this drama gave that kind of description. However, in the last episode, when AS mentioned the term "Rebellious Romance", I finally understood the basis of the romance for this drama. Rebellious in this case refer to AS. Between tragic love (DM), childhood love (HS) and rebellious love (EC), she is always about the latter because she is the latter. Hence, I finally understand why EC seemed to be a bit thrown off when she first suggested that because it was not in his plan to fall in love with a Joseon woman who is also a sharp shooter like him. And I finally can accept why he did not reciprocate the hug and  also I can finally see why all the romantic scenes were shown as they were..hehehe..Kudos KES and the PD..

I guess KES seemed to create certain themes to reflect the romance side of her drama. DOTS (Courage Romance), Goblin (Fated Romance), A Gentleman's Dignity (Matured Romance..or rather Immature Romance), The Heirs (Luxurious Romance), Secret Garden (Mystical Romance) and now Mr Sunshine (Rebellious Romance)..hehehe...just my 2 cents only. Feel free to suggest other type of romance..hehehe

#justmy2cents

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, miracle23 said:

that part about not caring about one another is actually DM talking about the relationship between the ronins (DM) and the Japanese Minister, and not between DM and his teammates. DM and the minister are using each other, hence why that minister doesn't dare to touch DM's people.

Ahhh thank you for clarifying - that scene makes so much sense now lol 

2 hours ago, miracle23 said:

the actress who plays Hotaru did mention in her interview that the relationship with DM may seem close but she does not have romantic feelings towards him. I also think they are more sisterly, brotherly kinda relationship.

Also thanks for sharing this, again, the scene about how he told her not to turn around makes so much more sense!

27 minutes ago, inna75 said:

It is amazing how KES's Mr Sunshine make a poet, a writer, a serenade out of all of us. Every forum site which discussed this drama will have commentators (even you guys in this Soompi site) beautifully describing the scene, the scenario, the characters, the history of this drama up to the point I feel like collecting all of them and made it into a book..hehehe..seriously, the PD should think about this

Yes! This drama is so beautiful and interesting that my husband is also hooked with me and he never cared for dramas before this lol

Loved the rest of your post and agree with it as well. I'd like to add that one of the reasons why I love this drama is how unpredictable it is. Yes it follows some sort of kdrama structure but at the same time, it doesn't. You don't really know what's going to happen next. The characters are written where there's an added layer to their personalities. The writers show that there's more to them than meets the eye, as we've seen in the last episode. The development of the story and the characters goes beyond the typical storyline and it keeps me coming back for moooore lol

• Like 7

Hi everyone. I am a new member but I've been following this thread from the start. I have some things in my mind that I want to share with you guys. 

1. I feel a little wierd when Lee Duk Moon (Lee Wan Ik right man) passed the carrier with ae shin inside when he brought Kim young ju to Joseon Police bureau, the maids of ae shin didnt seem to recognise him. He is Go Ae Sun husband so how did they didn't recognize him?

2. What is the purpose of Hui Sung collected the debts from police chief and some other men? Is he trying to help ae shin to pay debt for Dong Mae? Please share your thought on this. Thanks 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, suciantic87 said:

Hi everyone. I am a new member but I've been following this thread from the start. I have some things in my mind that I want to share with you guys. 

1. I feel a little wierd when Lee Duk Moon (Lee Wan Ik right man) passed the carrier with ae shin inside when he brought Kim young ju to Joseon Police bureau, the maids of ae shin didnt seem to recognise him. He is Go Ae Sun husband so how did they didn't recognize him?

2. What is the purpose of Hui Sung collected the debts from police chief and some other men? Is he trying to help ae shin to pay debt for Dong Mae? Please share your thought on this. Thanks 

Hi,

my thoughts?

1. right+left AS hand (servants) focused prisoner (suit, tied, under guard), few servants carried a palanquin,  maybe servants dont know Aesun's husband because she lives in his house, AeShin and Aesun are in bad terms, Aeshin hear talk (curiosity) opened window and saw only prisoner and AeSun husband passed palanquin and had collar after injury and wears a suit. Prisoner had a panic attack after seeing AS face (her mother), servants quickly closed the window.

Maybe Aeshin saw him only one time few years ago?  She has already passed the age of marriage and is an old lady (28-29) and EC is blessing sent from heaven xD 

2. Yes. Aeshin has a debt and probably wants to help her. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Emily Wong said:

This drama makes me want to try to eat baeksuk... :) not sure where I can get this in Cali?? It seems similar to samgyetang.. If My Love from the Stars has chimaek, then Mr. Sunshine has baeksuk lol

What is samgyetang? Is it the chicken ginseng soup? And what is baeksuk?

1 hour ago, charray said:

What is samgyetang? Is it the chicken ginseng soup? And what is baeksuk?

Baeksuk is that chicken soup dish that they always eat in the drama- the one Eugene and Ae Shin ate together for lunch in Ep 12... Samgyetang is similar to baeksuk but it seems that the preparation is slightly different according to wikipedia...

• Like 1