[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

25 minutes ago, charray said:

This theory is interesting but impossible as the Kim family old servant had buried EC’s mother in the mass grave and gave her hair pin which they found on her body back to EC in the earlier episode.

Oh, I forgot about something, I am getting older (alzheimer? :)) or too much sunshine :)

I wonder what happened to the hairpin - he should give it to Aeshin as a gift. 

I believe Eugene will hold on to the hairpin as it's the only belonging last worn by his mother that he has. It symbolizes her death as the closure he's looking for. Even if it was just a simple wood carving by a little boy, he would have preferred keeping it than the pricey but burdensome ornament that only reminded him of that fateful day in Joseon. Though it took years, it's probably a little relief that he gave it back to the owners to deal with what their family did to his.

ms218.jpg

• Like 10

I see that there are so many theories about what might happen, but are we so clear about what has already happened in the last episode? I am not.

Several people have mentioned that the relationship between AS and Eugene entered a new stage: they seem to have agreed to enjoy each other without thinking that this will lead to any marriage in the future. I have two questions:

First, what made Eugene and As to change their minds about their relationship? The previous episode made it clear that Eugene wanted to leave to allow AS to forget; AS decided to cut ties with him to protect him. It is true that these are not really good reasons, but they are still reasons that help us understand why the characters behave the way they do.

Second, can somebody more versed in Korean drama explain how AS and Eugene understand their relationship now and what they expect out of it? By now a few characters, including AS and maybe Eugene, acknowledged that these two relationship is against the moral customs of the period. So how do they think about the new stage of their relationship? Just enjoying each other presence and endangering their lives?

In short, in episode 12 something happened that changed our characters' mind and allowed them to have new hopes about their relationship. So what exactly happened?

• Like 8

14 hours ago, miracle23 said:

When WI said he is planning to make the doctor as a royal physician. I think he is planning to kill the emperor. I hope HN catches this and be cautious about it or warn the emperor or the minister she's working for. Since that the minister is also the one who gave out orders to the righteous army, does this mean they are not working for the emperor but for the minister himself? 

Good point. :)  Emperor Gojong did die unexpectedly from what many suspected poisoned by the Japanese.  The minister keeps his actions separately from the emperor’s knowledge given the high level of espionage going on in the court.  The resistance has many people funding or guiding them... Lord Go and the minister will need to pass on their fighting to a new generation, that’s where HS will take over.   His influence over the police and other high officials will come in handy.  All thanks to his grandfather.  Debts repayed.

13 hours ago, saturn said:

The man who Dongmae met at the temple is one of Aeshin's father's comrade, one of the 4 men in the photo. He had brought Aeshin's parents' ash to home. He was also at the train to Jemulpo wearing straw hat on the day Aeshin was shot. I guess, he came to say hello to his old friends and make up mind to revenge (kill Kim Yong-Ju, the betrayer).

I don't think Aeshin's mother was a slave. In that period, studying abroad was very expensive. She must be from noble family or rich family too. And her mother's class has never been mentioned in the drama, so it's not any issue. 

In Ep12 we saw some random scenes, such as Hui Sung visits the police officer and the post officer to return the money, and Dongmae visits the temple. I'm pretty sure all those scene will be connected to the new incident (Dongmae arrested) in ep13.

One thing I'm most worried is, Aeshin brought out the Joseph's letter from Wan Ik's house, so Wan Ik couldn't read it. Actually he is suspecting Joseph as a helper working for the king's side. But the letter was just saying hello to his son(Eugene). Wan Ik may misunderstand Joseph and kill him, and it may cause Aeshin to blame herself.

Both resistance fighters (Ae Shin’s parents comrades) could be hiding in the temple.  Think he’ll be one to reveal to Ae Shin DM’s visit and perhaps change her mind toward him.   Families must be well off enough to send their children to study abroad as in the case of Ae Shin’s dad.  Her mom could have been living there where she met the young Go.  Kim Yong-ju betrayed the group for money so his background is on the poorer side.  Guess this is to say the ragtag group was made of people from all kinds of social class.

Joseph’s death may be pending.  I’m trying to see how this would not cause an international incident for the Americans unless Lee Wan Ik sets up Dong Mae to take the fall.  There’s possiblity that he’ll send the Musin Society to go after the missionary with the false claim that he is part of the resistance.  The misunderstanding will cause a rift between the Japan ministry and the for-hired Musin society in how they are used and mistreated perhaps?

• Like 8

@Emily Wong It's part pre-produced and part ongoing filming. If not mistaken,  when aired in July, they've done more than half of the 24 episodes since filming started late last year. What they're filming now (perhaps, almost done) is the final episodes. KES herself was finishing the script for the ending when MR. SUNSHINE had the press conference in June. So, it's not too stressful for the cast and crew to catch the dateline as they have the earlier episodes all set to go, only that it causes a bit of problem when there's the controversy with the storyline that netizens complained & petitioned about.. the need to edit when they've done the scenes, etc.

Move to the Left

mrsun11_04.gif

Right on target ;)

mrsun11_02.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Emily Wong When the long trailer dropped in..late June?...they had already filmed most scenes up to episode 12. You can tell cause a lot of the teasers we saw in the trailer are still playing out. Since 13-14 aren't out yet, I'm not sure if any scenes will be familiar. But I suspect so cause there's a scene with Dong Mae and Hotaru from the trailer that I haven't seen yet. So either it's going to be in this coming week or they cut it. 

And as of last week, they were still filming some stuff cause YYS mentioned how it's been really hot for them filming in the summer now. How far they are in the story filming wise, I'm not too sure.

My friend pointed out to me that Ae Shin also had a moment where she was talking with her late parents (episode 10) so I went back and watched the scene and made a gifset of the parallel between her moment and Dong Mae's scene at the temple (episode 12). You can see the full thing here. I actually giffed the temple scene a few times cause I love it that much. 

tumblr_pdfsnq3S7M1qm5w5wo2_400.gif

tumblr_pdfsnq3S7M1qm5w5wo7_400.gif

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 9

Am I the only one dreading watching the upcoming episodes and at the same time anticipating it? And saturday is still 3 days away haist....

@tzupitzupi

I interpret it as casually dating and getting to know more each other, or it can be a Carpe diem type of dating hahahaha

• Like 4

August 14, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 12

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

Eugene and Ae-shin seek to make amends and settle the terms of their relationship, considering the constraints of social status. Meanwhile, Wan-ik continues to manipulate the pawns in his scheme, though he may be unaware that he’s holding onto multiple ticking time bombs, Hina being one of them. Unwilling to be a pawn in his schemes, Hina continues to defy his authority and act on her own accord.

sunshine-12-00167.jpg

EPISODE 12 RECAP HERE

@Ahpheng, thanks very much for liking the gif.. LOL.. the caption came at the very last minute! :lol: Apart from Gwan Soo x Kyle x Do Mi, Ae Shin's chaperons are the best (for her, for us! :P). Hopefully we'd have more to share later even though anything can happen to these characters in the upcoming episodes and definitely something will. :(

• Like 6

14 hours ago, rubie said:

@Emily Wong It's part pre-produced and part ongoing filming. If not mistaken,  when aired in July, they've done more than half of the 24 episodes since filming started late last year. What they're filming now (perhaps, almost done) is the final episodes. KES herself was finishing the script for the ending when MR. SUNSHINE had the press conference in June. So, it's not too stressful for the cast and crew to catch the dateline as they have the earlier episodes all set to go, only that it causes a bit of problem when there's the controversy with the storyline that netizens complained & petitioned about.. the need to edit when they've done the scenes, etc.

Move to the Left, Right on target ;)

Ahh I see- I thought it was entirely pre-produced like DotS lol. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

@elfvanvan I think it's a 'carpe diem' type of dating too. I am just worried the riding to the sea scene is after AS finds out her grandpa asks HS to take her, and the riding trip is their last 'date'. 

@rubie your 'box sitters' gif is Jjang !!  I am waiting for more ...thanks. 

Omg that would suck big time if that is their last date :tears:  It’ll literally be like playing with our emotions- this whole they are/aren’t together.. :mellow:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, tzupi said:

First, what made Eugene and As to change their minds about their relationship? The previous episode made it clear that Eugene wanted to leave to allow AS to forget; AS decided to cut ties with him to protect him. It is true that these are not really good reasons, but they are still reasons that help us understand why the characters behave the way they do.

There's what they're saying, but those are contradicted by their true feelings by their actions. Even thou Eugene said he's stepping back, he wasn't able to forget Aeshin and wandered around city and met Aeshin when she was hurt. That must have been 1st hit to his heart. And then the traitor attacked Eugene, and from the traitor's photo and with Gwansoo's help, Eugene identified Aeshin's father's name on it and knew there's connection between traitor-WI and Aeshin, and she could be in danger. Now that traitor is as good as loose, he wants to give her better weapon ( so better that it came from the future! :D ) and wants to remain by her as long as she needs him and to protect her.

On Aeshin's side, her word was that she needs to let him go, but her action showed that she was not able to. She's carrying around his gloves with her everywhere, and when she saw Eugene's name on the letter in WI's house, she kept it and didn't even mention it to Hunter Jang, but instead bring it to Eugene to read for her. When he asked how she can trust his interpretation, she said she trust him. That just melted Eugene's heart right there and Eugene read the letter item by item, thus confirming that they love each other still with his final words. - he keeps confessing his feelings all over the drama :D )

So at the scene when Eugene brought the new sniper rifle to Aeshin, they agree that even though there's no future for them - Aeshin cannot let go of her status, she needs that to fight for the country - they'll live for the day they can be with each other. 

Second, can somebody more versed in Korean drama explain how AS and Eugene understand their relationship now and what they expect out of it? By now a few characters, including AS and maybe Eugene, acknowledged that these two relationship is against the moral customs of the period. So how do they think about the new stage of their relationship? Just enjoying each other presence and endangering their lives?

Carpe Diem style of life. At any future moment, she could die, she could get married,  he could get transferred, but they agree to enjoy the present for now. Also I have read somewhere that the life of Righteous Army was so dangerous that they would live day by day, trying to enjoy the current life fully.( that was for later period Righteous Army but i guess that could apply here somewhat. ) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4