[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

I have already steeled myself for a sad E11(which I will watch in a few hrs) but I am way too curious about one thing and that is the preview for E12 - so, those who watched it, what can you say? More angst to come? Or a hint of optimism in it? 

I haven't seen it either.. a few more hours (of sleep, first) for me. ^_^ Since tvN doesn't post the clips anymore, the IG is filled with various clips, but can't really tell which scenes comes first or before or after. Seems like there're various scenes feat. more of the supporting cast tonight, probably because there's less EC+AS after the glove scene.

Eugene seems eager to continue learning Hangul, obviously he's still not wholeheartedly feeling the urgency to leave Joseon. Could be waiting for reasons to make him stay. ;)

@Ahpheng LOL.. I've had that for ages (saved from years of posting at forums), good thing it can now be used! :lol:

Ep. 12 preview (credit IG as stated)

Doesn't look like Eugene's going anywhere, perhaps till his transfer is approved. Maybe Kyle would mess it up instead..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@sileli123

When Eugene and Ae Shin come across each other on that bridge in the E12 preview, look closely at Eugene's hand - he is holding a red pinwheel. Does this mean Ae Shin placed that red pinwheel before going on a mission, despite knowing that he was soon leaving Joseon? Does this mean he went to the apothecary to see her? ARGH! These two!! Pretty sure that this scene will be in the beginning of E12. So, I am still holding out hope that the episode ends on a happy note forEugene/Ae Shin. 

30 minutes ago, rubie said:

Ep. 14 preview (credit IG as stated)

Ahem! you mean E12, right? Interesting that there are two vastly different(with small amount of same scenes) previews for tomorrow's episode. I wonder if Eugene's investigation of that assassin is keeping him in Joseon and maybe events unfold in such a way that he never leaves. 

• Like 2

Some random thoughts of what struck a cord in me in Ep 11:

Ae Shin asked Eugene to bring her to a quiet place where nobody can see them. She apologised to him and explained why she reacted that way on that day by the frozen lake. She explained that her world came crushing down after hearing his story as she felt that she is just a spoilt noble woman instead of the fighter that she thought she was. She also explained that she had never given much thought about his origin and she had probably just assumed that Eugene is a nobleman like herself. She asked him not to be hurt. Eugene was so understanding. He said that there are indeed differences in power, differences in social status in the Joseon world between them but it is not her fault and neither is it his fault. He asked her to continue to be a fighter but still be Lady Go Ae Shin as this can protect and keep her save and alive longer. He ended by telling her to continue to move forward while he will be the one who will be taking a step back. And sob, sob, this is the only scene that the two will appear together in Ep 11.

Eugene is learning Hangul so that he can write his farewell letter to Ae Shin. He gave his music box to Ae Shin as a farewell gift through Ae Shin’s maid.

I like how Hina gave the wrong key to Eugene to let him know there is an intruder in his room. And how Eugene communicated in English to Domi’s sister that he was going to shoot and she should move left to avoid his shot. So cool. He also saved the girl who was shot by Lee Se Hun and took care of her medical expenses. Quite impressed by Kim Eun Seok that she went to such details in her writing even to the extent of what happened to servant girl who was shot.

OK, I am firmly on team Eugene Ae Shin after today’s episode. :D

• Like 12
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, mistergenie said:

Ahem! you mean E12, right? Interesting that there are two vastly different(with small amount of same scenes) previews for tomorrow's episode. I wonder if Eugene's investigation of that assassin is keeping him in Joseon and maybe events unfold in such a way that he never leaves. 

th_poster_oops.gifEp14!! Where did that come from? th_aigoo1.gif Must be the lack of Eugene-Ae Shin scenes making the mind wondering to Hanseong :P.. I've corrected my post, thanks! Don't want the drama to end too soon.. just more EC+AS scenes. 176.gif

But it seems that episode 11 was not so depressing nor teary as thought, some unexpected comic moments and fighting/action aplenty. Episode 12 previews on the other hand (the vibes are somewhat distressing :unsure:).. I think there will be more clips released tomorrow. Apparently tvn and Netflix doesn't settle for just one version of episode previews.

ms216a.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

And not to forget about the fight between Ae Shin and Hina.....wow., it was actually quite exciting. Ae Shin is cool as always but I think in this scene, Hina totally slayed it. She really gave the vibe of a female fatale fighting in that tight dress with that thigh high slit.....Hina went to her father’s house to try to find the autopsy report of her late husband if I am not wrong. But not quite sure what is Ae Shin looking for in Wan Ik’s house.

Although I had watched previous dramas of Kim Min Jung, she really shone in the role of Hina for me. If I am not already firmly on team Eugene Ae Shin, I think I would have jumped ship to team Eugene Hina....B)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, charray said:

And not to forget about the fight between Ae Shin and Hina.....wow., it was actually quite exciting. Ae Shin is cool as always but I think in this scene, Hina totally slayed it. She really gave the vibe of a female fatale fighting in that tight dress with that thigh high slit.....Hina went to her father’s house to try to find the autopsy report of her late husband if I am not wrong. But not quite sure what is Ae Shin looking for in Wan Ik’s house.

The fight scene was a beauty! AS was looking for court interpreters' reports to WI. - JM asked for it in the previous scene and Hunter Jang asked AS's help. - 

Although I had watched previous dramas of Kim Min Jung, she really shone in the role of Hina for me. If I am not already firmly on team Eugene Ae Shin, I think I would have jumped ship to team Eugene Hina....B)

They actually have pretty good chemistry too. Do you remember Hina's sleepless night thinking about EC leaving Korea?

Thoughts on today's episode.

- I love the new OST. 

- Again, AS showed us that how much of a straight person she is. I'm glad she comes out and said what she felt to EC (I think that was at least a month ago in drama time). EC definitely loves AS and shows it, but not telling he is leaving Joseon right away. I think HN will tell AS.

- HN saw AS-EC chance-meeting and keeping DM from seeing that.

- EC saying farewell to everybody he knows in Joseon. :'(

- I love Sumi! She's a bright kid and learn from experience.

- When Hunter Jang said it's not possible in Joseon, I was crying, "move to america!".

- Somebody said Eugene is the most beautiful soul in KES's dramas, I can see why. There seems to be only AS's happiness in his mind. 

- They share the love of guns! Joke aside, It's so sad for me to see EC thinking of AS holding her gun. 

- EC has always been using honorific to hangrang abum, til the end.

- HS connected most of the dots. And he's trying to be useful to AS. Alas, only if he just had come right before EC, things would have been different.

- DM-HS bromance is live! :D

- King is lonely and at the end of his power. I do think KES is portraying King's warmly and understand that decision. Also, probably even with better king, at this point of time things would've been hopeless.

- I like chemistry between HN and EC. They're so quick!

- EC fighting scene with a traitor(who killed AS's dad). I'm rerunning same scene again and again. Ah.. no one else can do righteous fury like LBH. 

- HN and AS fighting! From last week's preview, we'll see confrontation betweem over coffee tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

The fight scene was a beauty! AS is looking for court interpreters' reports to WI. - JM asked for it in the previous scene and Hunter Jang asked AS's help. - 

So the document/letter that Ae Shin found, the one where she was a bit surprised to find  Eugene Choi's name written in it - is it part of the court interpreters reports to Wan Ik or is it something completely different? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mistergenie said:

So the document/letter that Ae Shin found, the one where she was a bit surprised to find  Eugene Choi's name written in it - is it part of the court interpreters reports to Wan Ik or is it something completely different? 

No, that's WI's stooge stole from post office, to find information about missionaries in Northern part of the Korea, where Joseph is. The letter is from Joseph to Eugene, and seems to contain only personal information. But they're combining several information and WI ordered EC's room searched as well as his arm and leg broken.(Hah!)

Another thing we now know is, Joseph is a father figure to Eugene. Here is the 2nd page of the Joseph's letter, where Joseph is calling Eugene as his son.

I should erase the word barely as ... medicine was quite expensive for a poor missonary.

I miss you, Eugene.

I learned how to make rice wine recently, ( ) bring some on my way to meet you. I will try not to empty it before I .... Hanseong.

Eugene, my noble one, the great one. My son.

I pray for your wherever you are. May God be with you always, .....

So... in my eye, this raises the chance of Joseph being killed by WI, thus making Eugene furious and will try to avenge his death. Eugene's losing another parent again. :tears:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ahh, lovebirds must thank Hina for the privacy. Her spider sense is wrong again when it comes to Ae Shin/Eugene :D

Screenshot 2018-08-11 10.48.24

Screenshot 2018-08-11 10.56.54

Credit: Netflix

This part was so good.  The conversation between them was full of hope.  Ae Shin is humbled when she realized there is someone else much more selfless doing heroic acts under much harder circumstances.  She admitted to being a little naive in her understanding of what she is fighting for and disappointed of her reactions to his background.  Her proud noble heritage, the way she conducted herself, pales when compared to the gracious and noble way Eugene has been conducting himself.  It magnified many times due to his painful past.  She also wants to make sure Eugene is not hurt from her inconsideration. Brownie points left and right for Ae Shin here!   I love her self-reflection and Eugene's encouraging reply. 

She is already a different better person by being here, he said.  He accepted the apology, moved forward as well by putting the gloves on for her.  She is the future Joseon that he hopes for and wished for her to regard this as another lesson along the way.  Keep walking the path.  This world, full of differences in class, power, opinions, is one that they happen to meet in which is no fault of theirs.  He reminded her that she shares the same Joseon with her maids, slaves, slave hunters, potters, interpreters so fight for all of them.  However, don't forget that being the lady Ae Shin is not something she should reject as it helps keep her safe and alive so she can continue to fight.  Use it to your benefit and remember that with great power comes great responsibility.  At the end, he wanted her to keep the gloves (and him close) for protection though it's better if she doesn't hurt herself again.

Wahhhhh :(

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

No, that's WI's stooge stole from post office, to find information about missionaries in Northern part of the Korea, where Joseph is. The letter is from Joseph to Eugene, and seems to contain only personal information. But they're combining several information and WI ordered EC's room searched as well as his arm and leg broken.(Hah!)

Another thing we now know is, Joseph is a father figure to Eugene. Here is the 2nd page of the Joseph's letter, where Joseph is calling Eugene as his son.

I should erase the word barely as ... medicine was quite expensive for a poor missonary.

I miss you, Eugene.

I learned how to make rice wine recently, ( ) bring some on my way to meet you. I will try not to empty it before I .... Hanseong.

So... in my eye, this raises the chance of Joseph being killed by WI, thus making Eugene furious and will try to avenge his death. Eugene's losing another parent again. :tears:

Thanks for the info. Looks more and more plausible with each passing episode that Joseph is going to get killed. Poor, poor Eugene - as you perfectly said - it will be like losing his parents all over again. 

For Ae Shin, he is a ray of sunshine, hence her Mr. Sunshine. But for once, he will be the one in dire need of some ray of sunshine and hope in his 'soon to be even more sad'' life. 

41 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

At the end, he wanted her to keep the gloves (and him close) for protection though it's better if she doesn't hurt herself again.

So,after the  heart to heart talk between Ae shin and Eugene at the beginning of this episode, can we safely say that the only thing keeping them apart is the rigid and unforgiving social structure of Joseon? That both of them are in love with each other, is quite clear and Eugene's action of taking a step back at this point is to ensure that Ae Shin doesn't end up getting hurt in the future - a hurt which she would have surely experienced in greater magnitude if their love solidified more with passing time but still eventually came crashing down against the social barriers of Joseon. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

This part was so good.  The conversation between them was full of hope.  Ae Shin is humbled when she realized there is someone else much more selfless doing heroic acts under much harder circumstances.  She admitted to being a little naive in her understanding of what she is fighting for and disappointed of her reactions to his background.  Her proud noble heritage, the way she conducted herself, pales when compared to the gracious and noble way Eugene has been conducting himself.  It magnified many times due to his painful past.  She also wants to make sure Eugene is not hurt from her inconsideration. Brownie points left and right for Ae Shin here!   I love her self-reflection and Eugene's encouraging reply. 

She is already a different better person by being here, he said.  He accepted the apology, moved forward as well by putting the gloves on for her.  She is the future Joseon that he hopes for and wished for her to regard this as another lesson along the way.  Keep walking the path.  This world, full of differences in class, power, opinions, is one that they happen to meet in which is no fault of theirs.  He reminded her that she shares the same Joseon with her maids, slaves, slave hunters, potters, interpreters so fight for all of them.  However, don't forget that being the lady Ae Shin is not something she should reject as it helps keep her safe and alive so she can continue to fight.  Use it to your benefit and remember that with great power comes great responsibility.  At the end, he wanted her to keep the gloves (and him close) for protection though it's better if she doesn't hurt herself again.

Wahhhhh :(

@bedifferent  wow, you said it so elegantly and beautifully. Always enjoy reading your comments and views which are always so elegantly expressed and well written. This conversation is the best part of this episode for me too. I was quite touched by it and even more convinced that the two of them are made for one another.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

AGB  Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Episode 11  8/11/18    12.792%

Source

• Like 12

6 hours ago, mistymorning said:

- HS connected most of the dots. And he's trying to be useful to AS. Alas, only if he just had come right before EC, things would have been different.

I love the tram scene!  Okay, HS deserves to be Comeback Player of the Year!  His offer to Ae Shin is 1/3 to help her and 2/3 to give himself a push to stop being the person that continues to disappoint others.  Just like Ae Shin who is humbled by the extent of Eugene's actions, HS is moved by Ae Sin's passion.  HS has wondered if there was anything else left of the country for him to come back to.  She gave him the answer.  He has lived believing that he is destined to not do any good.  No one gave him a chance to be better so this gift HS freely gives Ae Sin, it's more or less him standing up and do something important finally.  I just want to hug him after laughing my head off for helping Ae Sin with making the suit multiply around town.  Love his humor and mind.  

6 hours ago, mistymorning said:

I miss you, Eugene.

Tagging screenshot with your post.  

Screenshot 2018-08-11 16.26.55

Good point.  Personally, I prefer Eugene not have to deal with another revenge on a personal level.  He has found closure and is thankful to Joseon for avenging his parents' death. Though he's leaving Ae Sin with a heavy heart, I am happy for his mind is clear.  I'd rather the Emperor or the Righteous Army find a way to save Joseph.  Eugene is leaving Joseon feeling like an outsider, he has not connect to the army's cause.  He turned down the emperor's offer to train the Royal Army, it didn't hold any appeal to his heart either.  Of all the times Eugene moved and acted on behalf of someone, it was always in face of injustice or to save a life (even if motivated by his feelings for Ae Sin).  He's still a reluctant hero. I am waiting for something to happen that will align his feelings with the people of Joseon.  His name means the great and noble one.  He has shown us the noble side.  The greatness is yet to come.

@charray aww, you're so kind.  I look forward to reading your posts too.  I am major lurking these days to read all the great posts by everyone here.   I really like how the men in Ae Sin's life have different approach to helping her.  HS and Seung Gu both want to physically protect her.  Eugene is different.  Maybe because he sees in her the same inner strength, Eugene was more open to let her live her choices. I like how he treats her like an equal.

• Like 14