[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

Mr-Sunshine-Live-recap-Episode-11-EnglisScreen-Shot-2018-08-11-at-16.17.31.png?r

They say there are some moments and people whom are able to change the very essence of who you are. 

I believe this was one of those moments and to each other they were those people...:heart:

Argh episode 11 is still a relatively sad episode but the somber tone is lifted up a bit due to the humor from the other side characters... my fave scenes are definitely in the beginning where AS apologized to Eugene, AS and Hina fight and Eugene Domi korean lesson..

I might be the minority when I said the beginning of ep 11 is one of my fav scenes.. I am sad that they are still separated but I appreciate the fact that AS apologized to Eugene in person... She seemed to be avoiding him for awhile prob coz she was ashamed and wasn’t sure how to act in front of him after the revelation... and I do think in a way, Eugene already knew this wasn’t going to end well which was why he was sorta MIA after the incident with that Japanese soldier but obv with AS being hurt by DM gun, that changed the whole thing... Eugene probably decided to tell AS of his lowly origin pretty early in the relationship since he knew it was definitely an issue and he didn’t want to make goodbye even harder for both of them.. I’d say it’s very comendable of him since it must be pretty hard to do... Rather than perceiving this break as a step-back in their relationship, I’d much prefer seeing this as a hurdle that both would eventually have to overcome to be able to have a future together... 

Also that fight between AS and Hina in the end... job well done lol.. Cinematography is just killing it.. Slapping and hair-pulling get really old after awhile.. AS looked shocked when the masks fell but Hina looked as calm as the sea :lol: too bad the fight ended almost as soon as it began.. would have preferred it to last even 1 more minute haha

And Domi!! Omg that cute little kid, so considerate.. Wonder if Eugene’s gonna adopt him or maybe Kyle even?? Hahahahaha

I am typing this while sipping my boba milk tea so here’s to hoping for Ae-Shin and Eugene to get back together in tomorrow’s episode!! I like sad melo dramas but I still love happy endings!!

P.S.: I am wondering if Eugene and Ae-Shin will end up becoming some famous freedom fighter duo?? Also curious if AS ended up taking Joseph’s letter with her.. maybe with her English being more advanced now, she’ll be able to read that “I miss you” in the letter and get jealous haha

• Like 11

Translation:

ê¹í¬ì±

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html?h_seq=5

Kim Hee-Seong

(Unemployed person, fiance of Ae-Shin)

(His name) Hee for "shining" and Seong for "star." They say a person becomes his name, and Hee-Seong always stood out wherever he went. He was warm, fun, had lots of money and was handsome so he's always dating someone. He calls himself a philanthropist, but others call him a playboy.

They say that the top water must be clear for the bottom water to be clear but it was the opposite for Hee-Seong. Because the top water was so dirty. His grandfather was famous for being horrible and his father was famous for being cowardly, so he lives life without passion as a "banal guy." He was afraid of the blood flowing in him. Because if he had power, he might misuse it.

Due to his mother's tantrums, he returns to Joseon to marry, after studying abroad for 10 years. The reason he delayed his marriage was because he didn't expect much from a woman that his monstrous grandfather chose. But that brilliant woman... is my fiancee?

Hee-Seong began to regret his 10 years in Japan. He returned too late. She already had no room in her heart for him. He couldn't push out the Joseon in her heart, or that foreign man. The one thing he could do for her was to delay their marriage. But to promise to never marry her, this ironic promise, who knew it could be so sad...

--

So Hee-Seong's name means "shining star." So he's Mr. Star? And Eugene is Mr. Sunshine. What does this make Dong-Mae? Mr. Sky? Snow? Or Sad Ending?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

I enjoyed Ep.11. I am enjoying this show more and more with each episode, and I think that is by design. It takes a while to really get to know the characters so everything they do has extra meaning behind it.

Eugene is such a drama queen. He helps out that slave girl who was shot at Lee Se-Hun's place and says he wants credit for it because he did it to look cool. HAHA. And that dramatic scene where he buys Farewell Jja-jang-myun for Ae-Shin's right and left hand, making sure Ae-Shin knows he's leaving. Try to be a little less obvious, Dude. :D Last week he was super-sad that Kyle didn't buy any gifts for him. HAHAHA.

Hee-Seong was the "star" of this episode for me. He's not a fighter, but he knows how to help Ae-Shin out in his own clever ways. When he offered to help Ae-Shin and said it was an honor, that she can use their engagement to be a social cover for her, that was freaking cool.

One last thing: Lee Deok-Man, who's apparently working for Wan-Ik and sent that guy to search Eugene's room - Hina said that he was Ae-Shin's cousin's husband? So he's Ae-Soon's husband?

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

@chickfactor In the YYS's vlive, he talked about how 'Dong Mae' most likely stood for "plum blossoms that bloom in winter".

Dong 'winter'

Mae 'plum blossoms'

A more detailed breakdown can be found here. This tumblr user has a lot of interesting posts on Gu Dong Mae and the show for those that are interested. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, elfvanvan said:

The fight scene bet. HN & AS is soo cool.. And way better than your regular catfight :thumbsup: this is why i love this drama it is way beyond the norms of KDRAMA.. 

Agree to that....  Haven't seen something like this for a long time....

Can't wait to see it again tonight.

• Like 4

Ok ep.11...hmm, my brain is a bit slow after that one hour ride. Here goes:

- I feel AS was thorn between going to EC or remain in Joseon fighting her cause. She loves him deeply but she has already defied the norm and even begged her grandfather for that one request to be given freedom to learn and then she joined the righteous army, eventually putting everyone close to her in danger by that decision alone. Perhaps she thought, to go to EC after all that probably is too much for her grandfather and the many people close to her who may support this not knowing his origin, but their reaction may be different if they know it. This issue may make her questions where her priority lies. As of this moment she can't back away from her fight to protect Joseon. She is being realistic and saddened by the sad truth of world they live in.

- HS and that tram scene is such a comic relief! Should I find the burial spot? Hehehe

- HN is gonna be in trouble soon.

- DM will be targetted as well. Why do I have this feeling that meeting on the 15th gonna be bloddied at some point? Hope all ends well and he can move on pertaining to the matter of heart, though we know he will remain the protector as the other two guys, in their own way.

- I think not only DM has been monitoring the movement at the Go family residence, I think apart from AS, he is actually protecting the whole household, without no one knowing...

- The girls' fight, loving every moment of it. We need more of these elegance moves in kdrama. HN and AS, hope AS gave HN the document she was looking for if she happens to have it among the ones she took from the WI's room. My hope to see HN looks at AS in a different light, respecting her after knowing how she came upon a decision to choose her cause over her heart. Want to see both working together as the rationales and the guys will be those to bark over the many 'dangerous' ideas the ladies come up with. Would be fun! Hehehe

Ok, will be waiting for tonight's ep.

Cheers all!

• Like 6

Ahhh.. th_bricks.gif my bad! Gwan Soo has already known about Eugene not able to read Hangul and learning from Do Mi.. well, can anyone possibly keep any secrets from him? :P He's definitely having a ball mocking both Eugene and Do Mi.. that wicked nosy annoying adorable man! :lol:

IG clip credit as stated~

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

4 hours ago, luna11 said:

@chickfactor In the YYS's vlive, he talked about how 'Dong Mae' most likely stood for "plum blossoms that bloom in winter".

Dong 'winter'

Mae 'plum blossoms'

A more detailed breakdown can be found here. This tumblr user has a lot of interesting posts on Gu Dong Mae and the show for those that are interested. 

hi thanks for posting the gifs. I thought there was much sexual tension going on the way DM stood infront of Hina.

DongMae's Chinese pronounciation is the same - winter blossom, it is more like a girl's name in Chinese. Actually winter in Korean is Gyeoul (pronounced as Gyo wool), perhaps in classical Korean it is Dong. :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I love the tram scene!  Okay, HS deserves to be Comeback Player of the Year!  His offer to Ae Shin is 1/3 to help her and 2/3 to give himself a push to stop being the person that continues to disappoint others.  Just like Ae Shin who is humbled by the extent of Eugene's actions, HS is moved by Ae Sin's passion.  HS has wondered if there was anything else left of the country for him to come back to.  She gave him the answer.  He has lived believing that he is destined to not do any good.  No one gave him a chance to be better so this gift HS freely gives Ae Sin, it's more or less him standing up and do something important finally.  I just want to hug him after laughing my head off for helping Ae Sin with making the suit multiply around town.  Love his humor and mind.  

I wasn't too sold on to HS before - He was being too much in love just by look of her, and all the flower talk and love of useless thing when Aeshin isn't one. But I agree, Aeshin seems to give HS a purpose and a way to be something. I think KES may have modeled HS from real historical figure who spent all his tremendous fortune supporting Righteous Army pretending he's losing money on gambling. I don't believe HS is that person yet, but probably later in the future.

Tagging screenshot with your post.  

Thank you!

Good point.  Personally, I prefer Eugene not have to deal with another revenge on a personal level.  He has found closure and is thankful to Joseon for avenging his parents' death. Though he's leaving Ae Sin with a heavy heart, I am happy for his mind is clear.  I'd rather the Emperor or the Righteous Army find a way to save Joseph.  Eugene is leaving Joseon feeling like an outsider, he has not connect to the army's cause.  He turned down the emperor's offer to train the Royal Army, it didn't hold any appeal to his heart either.  Of all the times Eugene moved and acted on behalf of someone, it was always in face of injustice or to save a life (even if motivated by his feelings for Ae Sin).  He's still a reluctant hero. I am waiting for something to happen that will align his feelings with the people of Joseon.  His name means the great and noble one.  He has shown us the noble side.  The greatness is yet to come.

Unfortunately, that period of time was when human life was not worth much. I feel that it'll turn bad from worse as this drama turns to latter half and we'll see many of beloved characters die. 

• Like 6