Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

August 14, 2018

Mr. Sunshine: Episode 12

by dramallama Dramabeans.com

Eugene and Ae-shin seek to make amends and settle the terms of their relationship, considering the constraints of social status. Meanwhile, Wan-ik continues to manipulate the pawns in his scheme, though he may be unaware that he’s holding onto multiple ticking time bombs, Hina being one of them. Unwilling to be a pawn in his schemes, Hina continues to defy his authority and act on her own accord.

sunshine-12-00167.jpg

EPISODE 12 RECAP HERE

@Ahpheng, thanks very much for liking the gif.. LOL.. the caption came at the very last minute! :lol: Apart from Gwan Soo x Kyle x Do Mi, Ae Shin's chaperons are the best (for her, for us! :P). Hopefully we'd have more to share later even though anything can happen to these characters in the upcoming episodes and definitely something will. :(

• Like 6

@rubie I suspect going forward , the plot will concentrate more on RA and guess we have to prepare ourselves for more heartaches. I am actually worried there will be lesser scenes for me too strip, hehe, I am having too much fun now. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

14 hours ago, rubie said:

@Emily Wong It's part pre-produced and part ongoing filming. If not mistaken,  when aired in July, they've done more than half of the 24 episodes since filming started late last year. What they're filming now (perhaps, almost done) is the final episodes. KES herself was finishing the script for the ending when MR. SUNSHINE had the press conference in June. So, it's not too stressful for the cast and crew to catch the dateline as they have the earlier episodes all set to go, only that it causes a bit of problem when there's the controversy with the storyline that netizens complained & petitioned about.. the need to edit when they've done the scenes, etc.

Move to the Left, Right on target ;)

Ahh I see- I thought it was entirely pre-produced like DotS lol. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

@elfvanvan I think it's a 'carpe diem' type of dating too. I am just worried the riding to the sea scene is after AS finds out her grandpa asks HS to take her, and the riding trip is their last 'date'. 

@rubie your 'box sitters' gif is Jjang !!  I am waiting for more ...thanks. 

Omg that would suck big time if that is their last date :tears:  It’ll literally be like playing with our emotions- this whole they are/aren’t together.. :mellow:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

Any takers? :rolleyes: Our @Ahpheng is Netflix's hot favorite as well! :lol: But coming back to the upcoming episodes, I totally get you. Will there be more cute and happy moments once the inevitable happens? Sigh.. there might still be some gems, of course. We gotta do what we love to do, right! kaoani_whiteball_01.gif

Source: Mr.Sunshine Netflix

• Like 6

@rubie  no...I am not Netflix's hot favourite! Wanna insert one of those cute emoji of yours but I don't have any, hehe ! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

22 hours ago, tzupi said:

First, what made Eugene and As to change their minds about their relationship? The previous episode made it clear that Eugene wanted to leave to allow AS to forget; AS decided to cut ties with him to protect him. It is true that these are not really good reasons, but they are still reasons that help us understand why the characters behave the way they do.

There's what they're saying, but those are contradicted by their true feelings by their actions. Even thou Eugene said he's stepping back, he wasn't able to forget Aeshin and wandered around city and met Aeshin when she was hurt. That must have been 1st hit to his heart. And then the traitor attacked Eugene, and from the traitor's photo and with Gwansoo's help, Eugene identified Aeshin's father's name on it and knew there's connection between traitor-WI and Aeshin, and she could be in danger. Now that traitor is as good as loose, he wants to give her better weapon ( so better that it came from the future! :D ) and wants to remain by her as long as she needs him and to protect her.

On Aeshin's side, her word was that she needs to let him go, but her action showed that she was not able to. She's carrying around his gloves with her everywhere, and when she saw Eugene's name on the letter in WI's house, she kept it and didn't even mention it to Hunter Jang, but instead bring it to Eugene to read for her. When he asked how she can trust his interpretation, she said she trust him. That just melted Eugene's heart right there and Eugene read the letter item by item, thus confirming that they love each other still with his final words. - he keeps confessing his feelings all over the drama :D )

So at the scene when Eugene brought the new sniper rifle to Aeshin, they agree that even though there's no future for them - Aeshin cannot let go of her status, she needs that to fight for the country - they'll live for the day they can be with each other. 

Second, can somebody more versed in Korean drama explain how AS and Eugene understand their relationship now and what they expect out of it? By now a few characters, including AS and maybe Eugene, acknowledged that these two relationship is against the moral customs of the period. So how do they think about the new stage of their relationship? Just enjoying each other presence and endangering their lives?

Carpe Diem style of life. At any future moment, she could die, she could get married,  he could get transferred, but they agree to enjoy the present for now. Also I have read somewhere that the life of Righteous Army was so dangerous that they would live day by day, trying to enjoy the current life fully.( that was for later period Righteous Army but i guess that could apply here somewhat. ) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

On 8/14/2018 at 4:33 PM, rubie said:

I believe Eugene will hold on to the hairpin as it's the only belonging last worn by his mother that he has. It symbolizes her death as the closure he's looking for. Even if it was just a simple wood carving by a little boy, he would have preferred keeping it than the pricey but burdensome ornament that only reminded him of that fateful day in Joseon. Though it took years, it's probably a little relief that he gave it back to the owners to deal with what their family did to his.

my thoughts,

if we talk about hidden symbolic :)

EC mother said ""i want be like a flower in next life, you will live in a house like this, i will bloom in the garden."

He was a slave in Joseon - his father and mother were killed, he run away and go America (bad ending). EC in next life is an American soldier (captain), acting consul in Joseon, he met AS and fell in love.  

AS is like reincarnation of his mother (she was born few years later and look very similar, she is a noble woman not a slave, brave like EC mother) and second precious woman in his life.

I think AS will ask him once about his mother and he will show her a hairpin. AS is brave and bold enough to ask for a hairpin and wear it (good ending). She would prefer to wear a piece of wood in her hair (so important for EC), not those beautiful aristocratic hairpins. A hairpin is a symbol for me that EC and AS could have a good ending. 

It seems to me that in the end they will live together in America and will have a cozy house with a garden with flowers that will remind him of his mother.

Edit:

HS about AS when he want give her flowers "You are like flower"

• Like 4

Actor Lee Jung Hyun from Mr. Sunshine performs the national anthem during the National Liberation Day ceremony

0000530577_001_20180815123030732.jpg

1. [+1564, -13] What is this ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+1300, -14] You can tell they were sincerely singing at the top of their lungs with all their strength. Actor Lee Jung Hyun who said he studied hard at Japanese to correct a Japanese professor's incorrect view of history. Prosper!! (t/n: He shared this story on his recent appearance on 'Happy Together'. He said he was studying abroad in Japan and the professor said something that was negative about Koreans and said, "There's a Korean in this class" (speaking about Lee Jung Hyun) so he studied hard to go up to him and tell him he was wrong. The professor apologized to him but never apologized publicly in front of the class)

3. [+770, -15] There's a lot of people who think he's Japanese, he confirmed he's Korean ㅋㅋ

4. [+214, -17] He was very impressive, it's kind of a delightful feeling ㅎㅎㅎ

5. [+169, -7] How pleasant ㅋㅋ

6. [+119, -1] I feel like he would also fit the role of an independence fighter, next time - play the role of an independence fighter who's pretending to be Japanese    

credits ddoboja

He did an interview too, I don't remember being posted in here 

'[Interview Translation] Actor Lee Jung Hyun receives praise for his performance as Tsuda in 'Mr. Sunshine'

0003522216_002_20180807093305731.jpg

Q. Many people learned about actor Lee Jung Hyun for the first time through 'Mr. Sunshine'. Please introduce yourself.

• My name is Lee Jung Hyun, I am a 1990-er. My hometown is Gimje. I majored in Judo at Yong In University and minored in police administration.

Q. If you even majored in it, weren't you basically thinking seriously about the path of a judo athlete.

• It's an event I enjoyed so I tried hard. But I wasn't super good at exercising and it was my goal to go through college with this sport. Because my household situation wasn't that good, the idea of going to college itself wasn't easy. I thought that if I apply to Yong In University and don't get it, I won't go to a different college but I'll just enlist. Because I got into the school, I was able to go through college. Judo was like my breakthrough during my high school days. At the time, the most successful Judo athlete in Gimje was a teacher at my school, my friends learned a lot of Judo too. I wanted to learn from a good teacher and because my friends were learning it, I was naturally working hard on Judo. 

Q. When did you decide on becoming an actor?

• After graduating from college, I wanted to find a fun job. At that time, I've tried everything but they weren't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Being an actor was something I dreamed about when I was younger. Since I was already in Seoul, I decided to take up the challenge. I tried very hard. I thought, why are you scared when you didn't even try it, so I blindly ran towards acting. I started after watching a performance at school and I even attended acting school.   

Q. What kind of work did you do? If your financial situation wasn't how you wished it was, you must not have been able to pick your income, you must have worried a lot. (t/n: The question is basically saying, since he didn't have the best financial situation, he must not have had the luxury to pick and choose jobs)

• I worked as a personal trainer at a gym, a security guard at the Korea Racing Authority, production staff for dramas, and various jobs for directing teams. While working as a personal trainer, I earned a little bit more compared to others my age, but that money didn't make my life enjoyable.

Q. What was the reaction like when you told the people around you that you were going to act?

• I didn't tell my friends. I have a tendency to think like an 'outsider'. (laughs) Even if I had friends, I never went around clumped with them. Even during elementary school, I had an introverted type of personality. I still hear that I'm shy. So that's why, my parents and friends all didn't believe me. If I told my parents I was going to act, I think they would've thought, 'Just how long will he do it?'. I think they thought that I would stop on my own after 2 years.   

Q. You must've wanted to show them that you worked hard and showed that you were properly acting.

• My parents saying, "Try it" was like a driving force to me. There were hard times but I didn't ask my family for help and I lived my hardest. I wanted to show it the most to my parents.

Q. Since you tried acting, were you happy?

• Yes, I'm happy. There's not a single thing I regret doing in life. I also think it was a good idea that I played sports. It's true that being an actor is hard but I'm happy. To be honest, I feel like I endured it because I have a sports/athlete's mentality. (laughs) It's a very hard job where friends quit in the middle. And I was also lucky. Every time I was struggling the most, a project found me. Even before 'Mr. Sunshine', it was a difficult time, but good luck joined me.   

Q. You played the role of a Japanese in all of 'Anarchist from Colony', 'Imjin War 1592', and 'Mr. Sunshine'. You're proficient in Japanese, how did you learn?

• During college, I studied aboard in Japan for a year. I learned a lot while I was there. I was also greedy. Since I was already in Japan, I wanted to learn it to the point where I was able to communicate in the language. So I couldn't help but study hard. Even now, I'm capable of normal conversations. I'm still in contact with the Japanese friends I made at that time. I'm thankful for them. When I'm practicing my lines, I ask them when I have questions and I also ask them about my pronunciation and intonation.

Q. It seems like you hear "He seems Japanese" a lot.

• I heard it a lot in Korea but when I was actually in Japan, a lot of times, I heard people thinking I was Chinese. The first time I went overseas was Japan but when I boarded the airplane, they gave my friend a disembarkation card in Korean and they gave me one in Japanese. I thought that was normal (being given a disembarkation card written in Japanese), so I filled it out while working hard on translating it but I was surprised after finding out my friend had a different form. 

1. [+3574, -41] I thought they really casted a Japanese. Wow, I didn't even doubt it at all. Amazing, amazing

2. [+1501, -22] I feel like you're going to become a good actor ^^ Because he really seemed like a Japanese officer who would die for his country, I almost cussed ^^ Let's meet again in a different role~~

3. [+1250, -26] He seriously cunning and killed it at playing a bastard.. I feel like he's really an excellent actor 
↪ [+236, -3] What the... It seems like a compliment but it's kind of weird ㅋㅋ 

4. [+586, -9] I was seriously in awe while watching his method acting, I know for sure he's going to prosper more compared to now~

5. [+283, -21] He looks like he's overflowing with character, I'm supporting you~~~   

credits ddoboja
  • Like 9

Let me know if this was already posted.

BTS for Fool-Moron-Loser

tvndrama.official [#special making]

(loud) #FML don't let anybody miss chemistry between them(loud)

BTS for Fool-Moron-Loser scenes, seems that LBH is providing a lot of ideas and ad libs.

First scene is LBH talking and giving ideas to YYS about how to show off with sword.

2nd scene is BYH fooling around YYS.

3rd scene is the first meeting at the bar between FML. LBH is adding his idea to pull his coat under BYH. In the monitoring scene, LBH is saying this is the strongest way of talking(My coat!) for Eugene since the beginning and they're all laughing.

4th scne is LBH saying he's paying only for him with hand gesture. That seems to be testing take, you can see crew behind them.

5th scene is where HS was saying drinking together means they're already friends. You can see that LBH is thinking and dropping his cup without drinking.

6th scene is BYH showing off his charms :) and failing. BYH is so cute here :D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@mistymorning, thanks so much for the clip translation. th_tq.gif We definitely have not seen/read that yet. Seems like a new set of the behind-the-scenes from the production.

Good to know that the guys really get along well and having a lot of FML fun at the set. th_thumbup.gif

@Ahpheng you are so quick! The latest c-strip, steaming hot from the oven! :lol: If you like the icons I've posted, please feel free to save and use them, too. They're not mine at all, I can't remember where I got them years ago (as a newbie) but I'm sure they're created for sharing.

Photos: tvN // MBN Star

기ì¬ì 0ë²ì§¸ ì´ë¯¸ì§

• Like 10

@rubie I don't know how to save them as I don't use the computer, never mind I will just enjoy the emojis you posted, thanks . Btw, our Eugene needs to hurry  ..he is losing behind DM with the piggyback scene 

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

@Ahpheng I shall try to post more emojis and icons, then. salute.gif 

Hmm.. a piggyback ride is a classic Kdrama 101, indeed. But Ae Shin wouldn't need a piggyback ride, even when she's been shot in the leg. th_no2.gif 

Rooftop-hopping, done. Handshake, done. Hugging, done. Rickshaw-ride, done. Frozen-river break-up, done. Gun-practice, done. Horse-riding, (almost) done. 912.gif

So, let' see ... 176.gif

Fan art feat. Ae Shin's strong arms.. her left and right.

Art by h.dulky

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

This is probably my wishful thinking but did anyone notice how Ae Shin’s eyes always looked so tearful during her separation from Eugene? Most noticeable in the scene when she was eating that castella cake with Hina... Talk about crying all night lmao :lol: her eyes then immediately reverted back to happy sparkling when she got back together with Eugene :rolleyes:

• Like 9