[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

13 minutes ago, bedifferent said:
AGB  Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Source

Arghh rating dropped a bit- I hope the rating increases tomorrow! It’s such a well-produced drama- the cast and entire crew deserve all the recognition!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, miracle23 said:

I am giving EC A+ in this ep for asking AS the right question that I hv been wanting to know. Despite AS hates on DM - due more to him mocking her help than anything else & this is my personal view from their conversation about DM, so don't come at me with those bullets :ph34r::ph34r: - I am really glad EC looked beyond than and find DM to be someone he can/willing to trust. Maybe he can relate to DM because similarly, they had bad memories during their childhood with regard to Joseon, coming from similar class. Plus he now knows DM will never hurt AS regardless of who he is working for. I am also sensing that although he has developed a feeling towards her, he is unsure of her stance on the divide of class, hence he is taking a step back until this is clear, that she is ok with loving him even knowing he is from the slave class. Looks like EC is gonna be the one pulling DM into the team, if EC's not going anywhere but stay in Joseon. 

Good points that I agree with. Eugene earned more respect from me in this episode for still being able to ask Ae Shin the right questions even though he is in love with her. He is right in asking her about her reason for her fight for Joseon and whether there is a place for slaves and butchers in the Joseon that she is fighting for. He did not forget about butchers too as he is also sympathetic to their treatment in Joseon. I am glad that the drama has its heart in the right places and is much more than just a love story.

This is also the episode where I can finally see the possibility of a redemption arc of Dong Mae. He spared the life of Righteous Army guy that he caught because he is surprised by the guy’s conviction in the cause and how willing and prepared the guy is to die for the cause. First time I see him hesitated to kill a person who is not Ae Shin. Finally some development here. Speaking of bromance, I would like it if Eugene became a leader of the Righteous Army and convinced Dong Mae to join him in the fight because the two seem to understand each other and can probably work well together.

And the music box did landed up with Ae Shin  (why it is only loaned to her and not a gift? so that she has an excuse to see him to return the thing?) and she is not returning it to Eugene yet as she is keeping it as an excuse for another day. These two never fail to surprise me. Noted that Ae Shin also did not deny when Hui Sung asked if there is another man in the picture. I really love Ae Shin for her spunk and forthright character in how she interacted with the 3 male lead characters.

Speaking of which, this is my first Kim Eun Seok’s drama and gosh, some lines are a little too cheesy for me. No wonder Lee Byung Hun said that he is not used to some of the lines. While  I love and enjoy the humour in the drama, there are a few instances which I thought the intended funny bits were pretty jarring and distracting to the flow. Like when Eugene slipped while walking on the ice when I was only expecting either a romantic walk or a serious discussion. Maybe it is only me who is not used to her style. 

• Like 9

@charray  this is also my first experience with KES drama, so I have a number of reservations as well on some of the scripts and scenes that are to me better excluded than included. 

I look forward to DM deciding/ realising where his stance is in this fight for Joseon on his own accord. Of course seeing AS may have triggered something in him, I wish for more conversations like the one he had with the guy he caught so that he can keep questioning himself. I do not want him or HS or EC to fight for Joseon just for the sake of a girl and her dream, but mainly because they, themselves find just in the mission to protect Joseon.

I also hope, EC's question may give some time for AS to rethink her motivation. She may end up giving out her common answer that she sees everyone as her fellow countrymen but to me, at least, that is not enough as an answer. I will keep my thought of the possible reason to myself as it is just an assumption of mine based on my observation thus far. Looking forward to more discussion on yesterday's ep.

Cheers ladies!

• Like 6

I love how the characters are developing.  Now we know a bit of Hina’s background, DM ‘soften’ stance towards the RA member.   thank goodness they got rid of the horrible minister.   I am beginning to like Lord Lee Jung Moon.  I already suspect that he will ‘work’ with EC although he was quite harsh.  But of course it is still too early to tell.

My favourite scene is AS’s fanboy conference and the limping HS :lol: that was really unexpected and funny :P

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

August 4, 2018

August Drama Actor Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

Source: Soompi by E. Cha

Park-Seo-Joon-Park-Min-Young-Kim-Tae-Ri.jpg

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for drama actors!

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas that aired between July 3 and August 4.

Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young, the stars of tvN’s hit drama “What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim,” topped this month’s list at No. 1 and No. 2 respectively. Park Seo Joon shot to the top of the rankings after scoring an impressive brand reputation index of 24,097,237, while Park Min Young scored an index of 18,161,817 for August.

High-ranking phrases in Park Seo Joon’s keyword analysis included “What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim,” “Park Min Young,” and “dating.” The actor’s highest-ranking related terms included “cute,” “like,” and “lovable,” while his positivity-negativity analysis revealed a score of 64.11 percent positive reactions.

Kim Tae Ri took third place for the month with a brand reputation index of 12,964,955. The actress is currently starring in tvN’s “Mr. Sunshine” opposite Lee Byung Hun, who came in at fifth place for August, following ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo, who ranked fourth.

Check out the top 30 below!

1. Park Seo Joon
2. Park Min Young
3. Kim Tae Ri
4. ASTRO’s Cha Eun Woo
5. Lee Byung Hun
6. Im Soo Hyang
7. Lee Dong Wook
8. Cho Seung Woo
9. Kim Min Jung
10. Kim Jung Hyun
11. Shin Hye Sun
12. Yang Se Jong
13. Seo Kang Joon
14. Baek Jin Hee
15. Lee Si Young
16. Yoo Yeon Seok
17. Yoon Shi Yoon
18. Highlight’s Yoon Doojoon
19. Kim Jae Won
20. Jo Bo Ah
21. Hong Soo Ah
22. Go Soo Hee
23. Byun Yo Han
24. Nam Sang Mi
25. Jo Woo Ri
26. Han Eun Jung
27. Lee Ji Hoon
28. Ji Hyun Woo
29. Lee Yoo Young
30. Lee Sang Woo

Source (1)

• Like 3

The scene at the tavern with the 3 guys really made me laugh when HS introduced EC as the American Joseon, DM as the Japanese Joseon and he himself as the Handsome Joseon. HS really add comic relief to the show. :D

I also like that HS is upfront about his "useless" interests when Aeshin asked why doesnt he has a dream or do anything. When he explained himself, she said she understood but their paths will be different. You really cant be angry with someone who is honest and clear about himself, however "useless" he maybe. 

If anybody should join the Righteous army, I think HS should. He is inherently a good guy who growing up with all the riches just need someone to steer him towards something worthwhile and put his passion and energy to good use. Seems like Aeshin will be this person.

As for DM, I just dont see how he will join the RA if not for Aeshin. This guy is 90% practical and a realist. The other 10%, he saved it for pining about Aeshin. Of course soon that 10% will grow, seeing how he let the guy off (which I think he idid to avoid incurring the wrath of Aeshin). He did explained that he was concerned his comrade will be sad, and Hina thought that funny.

One plot hole that I want to point out is why is Aeshin seemingly the only gunner in RA, surely there are others :D

• Like 6

1 hour ago, qwenli said:

The scene at the tavern with the 3 guys really made me laugh when HS introduced EC as the American Joseon, DM as the Japanese Joseon and he himself as the Handsome Joseon. HS really add comic relief to the show. :D

I also like that HS is upfront about his "useless" interests when Aeshin asked why doesnt he has a dream or do anything. When he explained himself, she said she understood but their paths will be different. You really cant be angry with someone who is honest and clear about himself, however "useless" he maybe. 

If anybody should join the Righteous army, I think HS should. He is inherently a good guy who growing up with all the riches just need someone to steer him towards something worthwhile and put his passion and energy to good use. Seems like Aeshin will be this person.

As for DM, I just dont see how he will join the RA if not for Aeshin. This guy is 90% practical and a realist. The other 10%, he saved it for pining about Aeshin. Of course soon that 10% will grow, seeing how he let the guy off (which I think he idid to avoid incurring the wrath of Aeshin). He did explained that he was concerned his comrade will be sad, and Hina thought that funny.

One plot hole that I want to point out is why is Aeshin seemingly the only gunner in RA, surely there are others :D

Thank dear on your observations. I put that HS explanation on repeat cos it is so much fun to rewatch. :)

On the contrary to your 2nd last point, I think DM is being cynical when he said that to HN. What disturbed him most is how ready the guy is to die for his cause and most important I can see that the guy's words on how every foreign powers now own parts of Joseon got to DM, making him thinks why that even such a lowly stature guy is willing to die for Joseon. I really hope this is going to be the turning point for him to change his position on his own will and not mainly because of AS. Same goes to EC and HS.

• Like 2

August 5, 208

The more I watch  Ae Shin  on the screen, the more I admire her.  I like her spunkiness, her self assurance and her conviction and passion to pursue her dreams for a better Korea.  I also like that she has taken the initiative to be closer to Eugene.

Eugene’s character has come to life with his treatment of Le Se Hun.  He became more assertive.   The way he settled returning the bank deposit certificate to the original owner was brilliant.  However, I am worried that he will leave Ae Shin whom he loves because of their difference in family background.

This is the first time that I have followed a drama thread.  Thank you everyone for sharing all the valuable comments and viewpoints which helped me comprehend better this complex drama.

@Ahpheng  I love all the captions on the cartoon strips.  Please continue to create them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While waiting for episode 10, here is the lyric interpretation for 5th OST, "Good day" from MeloMance, interpretation attempt is done by me. Apologize for the interpretation quality.

Silent breeze brings

you to me

So this is how you land

in my mind quietly

Is it a deep sleep or a dream

All world is you

Even a falling light hurts

would you know

It's a first time, such a good day

good day to hold you in my eyes

Fly in, shinning

Bloom In my mind, in my heart

like flowers

It's not just a tear

that I can't hide nor quit

Such a long, cold and sad story

Hope to embrace you in the end

Holding tight not to fall apart

you with my hands

Fly in, shinning

Bloom In my mind, in my heart

like flowers

Beautiful, brilliant darling stay lovely

keep walking

The road you are on be always bright

Wishing from here

Cry for the first time, with you

Missing you, longing for you

only because of you

only for that

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

I love the dialogues and scenes KES had provide us..

The irony, sarcasm and underlying meaning.

1. How GDM mock all people from all class by calling them naeuli(sir).

Knowing from commoners to nobles fear him.

2. KH and AS coffee conversations:

the vain hope to be wealthy by selling one's country(KH's father), the vain hope to safe one's country(KH), and the vain hope to call off one's engagement (AS).

Btw, from the last scene on how KH did king's order to bring EG and this scene, i'm pretty sure KH is on joseon side.

3. How king's interpreters who are all joseon men, call each other by the countries name of languages their translated and when problem arise, american's interpreter die(they call him miguk(america)) france(interpreter), japan(interpreter) and others report to persons who try to rip apart their country.

4. The irony of EG who hates his country and come to joseon hoping to see the demise of his country but instead be the one who help joseon.

5. HS who runs away all his life from doing the real work(continue his dad and grandpa businesses that include torturing people/be a man who fight for his country/choose side with japan and get the benefit)

And ended up fall for a girl who do the real work put her life on the line to fight for her country, when at that time as a woman she is expected to only follow the flow and not more.

6. AS who mock DM for shoot her in the leg and said DM would not be able to shoot her in fatal place but she can,

yet given chance, when got a clear view and opportunity he shoot around DM instead and none of her bullets touch DM when she is good shooter who can shoot a small phone box from meters away.

• Like 11