[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

What a sad sad episode... I am just floored... :tears: Episode 10 is literally packed with sadness... LBH’s eyes are so expressive especially in the scene where he asked Ae Shin if she’s shocked of what the nobleman had said or his origin.. if you look closely, there was that pause before he said the word ‘origin’ and it looked like he was choking which was pretty devastating to watch...

Also I was hoping Ae Shin was going to save the excuse of returning the music box for another day when she can’t bear the separation anymore but nope, that hope was shattered...

One scene that’s definitely worth mentioning is the scene between Eugene and the potter who saved his life.. It was definitely one of the best scenes in the whole drama and LBH crying under the hat was just heartbreaking... I don’t usually cry much while watching dramas but this scene is one of the rare moments that I found myself tear up... :tears:

I think someone here mentioned the possibility of a time jump?? That’d be interesting to see... though I kinda doubt this will happen... One thing for sure is I am kind of scared of how this will end... the tone of the drama is serious and borderline sad now.. I really hope I am dead wrong on this one... I’d be really pissed if they don’t end up together...

On a side note— how come Kyle didn’t bring back any gift for Eugene??? I thought he was just trolling when he said that... That would’ve been something that would cheer him up a bit... :unsure: can I also mention how smart everyone in this drama is?? They are experts at putting 2-2 together.. normally you’d see kdramas dragging on things like this so it’s refreshing to see smart characters who can figure things out quickly... hahaha.. Lastly, enough said but the cinematography deserves a stand-alone recognition for sure... All the scenes are just sooo pretty... :wub:

• Like 9

Ost 5
A quiet wind came and asked 
what I thought of you.

That’s how without my knowing It 
you quietly came into my heart then

Because you are fast asleep
Are you dreaming?
The whole world
That’s you.

Will the beam of light which falls
Even know 
The reason why it hurt then?

Start of refrain
It was the beginning.
On such a lovely day
I could hold you in my eyes
A lovely day.

I soared.
Dazzled then.
In my hear,t in my mind
Like a day the flowers bloom
I bloomed
End of refrain

Why are there just tears
Which can’t be hidden
Which can’t be stopped?

A long story
A cold and sad story
At the end you and I are hugging

Will we part?
I must try to hang on with
My two hands holding you

Refrain

Beautifully
Brilliantly
You are that.
Because you remain so lovely
Will you walk this path with me?

The path you are walking toward me
On the path which blooms radiantly forever
I want to be there always

It was the beginning.
On such a lovely day
I could hold you in my eyes
A lovely day.

For the first time I cried
Because I will see you
In my longing, in my wanting to see you
is that one reason
which is you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

And the rumors that will tarnish AS's name will be unbelievable. Only option left to AS and EC would be running away from the country. Can someone like AS do that? I don't think so.

Thanks bringing this up, when I was watching ep 10 I couldn't help but wonder if AS would repeat her parents' actions. From what I've gathered, her parents ran away and got married secretly and then were a part of the fight against traitors and to protect Joseon. It seems like her parents are of different social classes. That's what I've gathered from the little info we've got of AS' origins.

I have a question though: the look that AS gave to EC and he was afraid - was he referring to the look of pity or was it the look of despair as she might have realized that she adheres to the "rule" of different classes? 

Changing gears: I love the mirrors scenes as well @loversbridge - imo, it looks as if the director wants to show how similar these 2 souls are. Hina cares about money as much as DM does - ie: when she told the ex-foreign minister's mistress to give her the bag of gold in exchange for her silence. Another example is when Hina had the nerve to tell the king to pay for his coffee lol another example of their similarity is their lack of loyalty for Joseon or Japan. Lastly, the similarity in that the person they love/have feelings for  refuses to see the love they have for them. Hina for EC and Dm for AS

Changing gears x2: favorite scene from ep 10 is when the poster finally acknowledged EC as the boy he saved 30+ years ago. Such an emotional scene of acceptance for EC from someone in Joseon. 

• Like 12

Very nice, series high up till now.

AGB  Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Source

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Ep 9 was hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing when HS left the bar with a limp (wrong leg!). Then when AS realized EC can’t read Korean. Or how EC realized he drank a medicine for the feet! The humor was so on point.

ep 10 starts out hitting me right in the feels. I’m becoming more convinced that AS is going to fight for a democratic Josean. I wish Hina and AS would get along like our lovehate trio does hahaha. Kinda makes me sad to watch two powerful and strong women against each other cause of a man. I hope they also get a little sismance like our three men have. Wow wasn’t Eugene staying at the Potter’s House? Wonder if what she saw was a hallucination or really him. I don’t want them to part ways, I wish she would run to him and tell him it doesn’t matter if he’s lowborn or not! 

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday episodes' rating seem to dip a bit but the Sunday ones will make up for it with even higher numbers. 10 episodes down, 14 more to go! Instead of obvious time-jump.. perhaps, there'll be a jump (change) of motivation and direction for each of the characters' personality.

Eugene's moment of truth 

20180804_2.jpg

Spoiler

20180805_1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, q4q4 said:

Thanks bringing this up, when I was watching ep 10 I couldn't help but wonder if AS would repeat her parents' actions. From what I've gathered, her parents ran away and got married secretly and then were a part of the fight against traitors and to protect Joseon. It seems like her parents are of different social classes. That's what I've gathered from the little info we've got of AS' origins.

Hm.. jogging my memory here, I know grandpa knows what his son was doing, so he wasn't a runaway. There is no definite indication on Aeshin's mom's class, only thing said was that they loved each other. That was 30 years ago, so hm... to be embraced so well to the family, I think Aeshin's mom was more than likely from a noble family. If not, the scoff her cousin - Aesoon the gambler - is showing would have been worse. Here she's demanding Aeshin to call her as Assi(to call lady higher up) just because Aeshin's parent didn't follow thru traditional marriage steps. She is basically calling Aeshin's a baby out of wedlock. And HS's family wouldn't have arranged marriage Aeshin with their son if her mom was a lower class. Before the abolishment of class system, class was decided by the baby's mom's class and noble family have lower class wife as their concubines only. It's not possible to marry between classes.

I have a question though: the look that AS gave to EC and he was afraid - was he referring to the look of pity or was it the look of despair as she might have realized that she adheres to the "rule" of different classes? 

I thought it'd be the look of despair for her knowing his origin. It was just not possible in those times, love between lady such higher up and a slave.

Changing gears x2: favorite scene from ep 10 is when the poster finally acknowledged EC as the boy he saved 30+ years ago. Such an emotional scene of acceptance for EC from someone in Joseon. 

I cried along with Eugene too ! :'( 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was away and only saw the latest episodes this morning.  So pardon me for only backreading the last page for now.  I keep hearing AS repeating "Sunshine" " Mister" Mr Sunshine over and over again.  I guess he really is Mr Sunshine for her.  He finally lights up the part of her dark life (her grandfather did ask her mentor to not let her know every details).   She is finally able to see the reality of what is going on in the present, the past and the future of people of Joseon.

• Like 7

I wrote these in DB, and am sharing it here. I had a good run of ep 10. 

My random thoughts on Mr. Sunshine Ep. 10:

- AS, you deserves an A+. Thank you for making my hope not a vain one. Thank you for taking the time to rethink your motivation. As I suspected, AS was not that very clear of the cause she’s fighting for. It’s good that EC made her ask such questions to herself and to her teacher. And it’s good that she finally tries to understand DM’s situations. But my lady, your wish of him living such a fearful life is a little outdated. He had that life before, EC had that life before, thus their animosity towards others who treated them so. I think you knew this because you saved DM once from that fear and EC told you of his story.

- DM, tsk tsk tsk… do you have to be a brute just to prove a point? She is just a girl! Ok, a minus and a detention for you. No, that puppy eyes are not gonna save you today. Maybe next week.

- DM & AS, children I need you to behave on the 15th. You guys need to resolve whatever issues you have in a calm and good manner. I need to see some actual result coming from it. Don’t talk in riddles and no more misunderstanding. No more getting into each other’s nerves every time you lay eyes on one another. DM please explain well, else she might just pull that trigger on you. Let’s hope that is never gonna happen anytime soon. I still need you and that skill of yours in class.

- DM after the 15th, I need you to stop following AS. Maybe you can start following HN. She needs someone to cover her back. I am gonna pray hard for that because thus far, majority of my hopes and prayers on this Mr. Sunshine journey have been well answered. *thankful*

- HN, another A+ student. I am loving her personality and traits. Her finesse in getting all that gold is just, gold. ^_^ Now we know she’s working for the minister for a favor to search for her mother. I am anticipating your actions next, HN ssi. Seems like we have some girls fight next week. I wish for a deuce, amen.

- My shocking moment: DM’s right hand man. Did he just speak in Korean?!! I had to rewind to hear that again. Why then, have they been conversing in Japanese all this while? *roll eyes* Aigoo… is there some secret we should not know about between these two? His blank look at DM, I hope he won’t be the one to betray DM later. I want him to be the very loyal right hand man.

- HS, DM and EC in one room. Aigoo boys, thank you for making an effort on that brainstorming session. EC, listen to DM. Amicable or not, you guys need to sit down and agree on a solution, especially for the very reason of having different information at hand. Shall we avoid prolonged misunderstanding, gentlemen? I look forward to see some good ideas next. HS, nice plan to start on a trend but won’t it be a little too late now? Just curious.

- Did DM just say he saw EC in Jemulpo? Which occasion was that? Did I miss something? Hmm… now I am also curious to know.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

- Did DM just say he saw EC in Jemulpo? Which occasion was that? Did I miss something? Hmm… now I am also curious to know.

In korean, that sounds like DM said he saw that(coat) in Jemulpo. So probably subtitle mistake here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, loversbridge said:

I try to not stay ship focused because the show has so many other interesting things than that but I liked the scene we got between DM and HK in episode 9. I mean, the face he made when he opened the door and saw her taking a bath :3 

And I like that we learn new things about Hina each time they have a scene. And DM seems so used to walk into her room and chat with her...

Also I wonder what means the use of mirrors during their scenes so if someone has an explanation I'll be happy to hear it ^^

Bonus:

I tried to do some icons, I'm not really used to do it and my caps weren't top quality but I tried. I love this ship so I couldn't help myself :blush:

Sorry to cut your post dear, beautiful that they are, the screenshots. Paging for @Ahpheng, this call for a strip of their own, these two souls. Are you up for it my friend? :blush:

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In korean, that sounds like DM said he saw that(coat) in Jemulpo. So probably subtitle mistake here.

I went to listen again... he said he saw it in Jemulpo once before. The 'it' was not mentioned in this sentence, but hangul usually is like that when the subject is already previously mentioned. Maybe the sub is referring to EC because he is the subject in the first sentence. But yes, I agree it is the coat or the person wearing the coat that they are talking about.

DM was remembering AS on that daylight event but EC was remembering AS on the night of his and AS's first encounter. DM is fishing for confirmation of other encounters than the one that day and EC saw that, hence his refusal to answer. 

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

@miracle23There was a distinct flashback of EC holding a gun when DM was talking about this so I dont think its a subtitle mistake. I watched the original on Netflix and he did said he saw EC in Jemulpo.

Yes, I have caved in to signing up for Netflix. Free for the first month, but I will have to pay for the next since the drama will still have 7 weeks to go. Damn, live dramas :sweatingbullets:

~~

Yes yes, DM went overboard grabbing the girl's hair. But am I the only one excited that he is finally getting his "date" with AS soon. Lol, that scene better be good!

Oh regarding the scene of AS walking on ice, its really a metaphor right? She IS treafing on thin ice being in the RA. Yes I like the fact that she finally was stop in the mind track about who is she protecting Joseon for. There seems to be such huge inequality among the people.

Hina is very interesting and really beautiful this week, I think she got the best deal in costumes. Lol. She always have remarkable insight about the 3 men and AS, her role seems to be like a commentator. 

Next week's trailer spark my curiosity about who AS is fighting with and also why all of sudden DM is holding Hina, a dream perhaps? The writer cant switch tracks half way about the romantic interest of DM.

Lee Wan Ik is indeed pesky. Credits to the actor who also did a stellar performance freaking me out in W (2 worlds). 

Am glad the writer didnt drag the bank note plot for the whole series. Now that it is back with the incompetent king, the villain minister is the new plot point for the rest of the story?

The ratings is amazing at 12 and reflects the more solid story development this ep vs the last.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

Sorry to cut your post dear, beautiful that they are, the screenshots. Paging for @Ahpheng, this call for a strip of their own, these two souls. Are you up for it my friend? :blush:

Yes, I will create one of Hina and DM ....if not now but definitely later. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

My random thoughts:

- Romance! While the EC-AS romance hit the expected hitch, never fear, it's just a bump in the road. AS is already a bad-a$$ freedom fighter superhero who parkours all over Joseon rooftops. I don't think she cares if the man she loves is from the slave class. I do think she needs some time to consider that the Joseon she wants to save does have some serious flaws, like the brutal feudal system. Let's give her some time to think things over.

- Bromance! I think the best relationship in the show is among the three dudes. The American-Joseon, the Japanese-Joseon, and the Handsome-Joseon. I will never get bored seeing these three in a room together joking about killing each other.

Overall, I feel like the show took its time setting everything up, but it's finally hitting its stride. One of the best scenes is EC's conversation with the potter Eun-San. There is so much history between them, but it took 10 episodes to slow-burn this eventual encounter and the payoff was worth it.

I think a large part of the excitement comes from seeing both EC and DM rediscover their allegiance to Joseon through their love for AS. (She is basically Mother Joseon in this story.) Both men have turned their backs on Joseon, but now they are realizing that Joseon exists beyond their own sad experiences. There is obviously a very "ra ra patriotism" element to it that exceeds any romance in this story, but that's been built into the premise.

And now we know why this show is called "Mr. Sunshine." That seemed like such a random and unfitting title, but now I love it.

--

A few notes from the tvN character descriptions:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html

- Regarding Lee Wan-Ik: Not only did he sell off his daughter, he also sold his younger sister when he was younger so he can have money to learn English. He also cast off his wife because she was from Joseon. (Hina's mother) Most importantly, he was the son of a poor tenant farmer's family. (Not a butcher.)

This is an interesting storytelling choice because the real historical figure that he is based on (Ye Wanyong) was "born to a prominent family" according to Wikipedia. So the writer has chosen to make Wan-Ik actually similar to EC and DM - that he's suffered brutally because of the feudal system which made him turn his back on Joseon.

But unlike EC and DM, he becomes the greatest traitor of all-time against his country instead. Because he's a bad person who hates himself.

- One thing about Ae-Soon: She was married, but could not have children. After 10 years, her husband took a concubine who gave birth to a son right away, so that is why Ae-Soon is depressed and spends all her time gambling.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Seoulmemories said:

Oh regarding the scene of AS walking on ice, its really a metaphor right? She Is treafing on thin ice being in the RA. Yes I like the fact that she finally was stop in the mind track about who is she protecting Joseon for. There seems to be such huge inequality among the people.

When I heard the crack of ice for each step she made, I also felt her heart breaking and her belief of her fight shattered (for that moment).  At first I thought she was going to give a good answer to EC's question, but then she did need time to reflect more before giving her appropriate response. 

For now, EC believe that he got the answer from her by returning the music box without saying and without leaving any written word.  As usual, just can't wait to see their interaction next...

• Like 11

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category