[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, philosophie said:

Sorry if this has already been answered. I’m a bit confused about the secret document EC gave to the pawn shop. Had the king been embezzling money and that was what the estate was about? Or is it like the deed of the whole country? 

Also, does AS and her master work for the king? Cause if I remember correctly AS’s grandfather was the kings favorite scholar and seems to have had ties with his son and the gunner master by knowing about their allegiance to fighting foreign influence on their homeland. I’m just curious if they have support from the king cause I’m always wondering like when I thought Gunner jang would get arrested for selling the gun or AS caught during the mission when DM shot her if they end up getting pardoned by the king cause they’re like his shadow army no one knows about. Basically does the king suppo AS’s group? Also are he and Hina allies too swing how she got a doc from them and burned it after telling EC to use translator? If that’s the case and DM and EC also turn to the other side aka Joean then maybe story will lead to all these characters working together to keep their country from being controlled by another nation.

The secret document shows that the king has deposited $100,000 into the Russia bank, I think. From my understanding it shows that he feels the country is not safe, so he took out money to put into foreign bank. If he needs to run, he can run anytime, since now he has a "bank account". It would be like the King has made back-up plans in case the country falls, he can go somewhere. This shows that the country is very weak and even the King doesn't have confidence in his own country, a betrayal move to his people.

That's why Japanese people, Russians, and even USA will be interested in this paper as hard evidence, to blackmail the King. That way, the "Korean King can't sleep" as they repeatedly mentioned. Only when the paper is returned to the King, then the hunting for the document will stop. 

The freedom fighters do not have support from the King. I think AS's grandfather receives salary from the King, as an official / aristocrat. With his rich bank account, AS's grandfather will donate some money secretly to the freedom fighters when they are running low. AS Master (Gunner) is a rebel, as he stated in ep 7 or 8, he is working against the government of the country and not helping them. But they are fighting for freedom and safety of Korean people.

I think Hina is a double agent. I am not sure who wrote the note but in the previous few pages of this thread, someone did talk about it. 

Yes it's possible all main characters work together as a rebel 'freedom fighter' team, we just have to see what happens in ep 9-10. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

At last some interesting development between Heena and Eugene. Are they having a ‘date’ or something else? Will it be Ae Shin’s turn to be jealous now? 

She is really gorgeous here. Doing justice to the title of most beautiful woman bestowed by Ae Shin’s maid. Love her hair and gown. 

But not sure which episode will this be....Kim Min Jung is under utilised in this drama. I think Eugene’s interpreter has more screen time than her. Hope  there is more screen time for her in later episodes. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, philosophie said:

Sorry if this has already been answered. I’m a bit confused about the secret document EC gave to the pawn shop. Had the king been embezzling money and that was what the estate was about? Or is it like the deed of the whole country? 

Drama doesn't say about the source of the money, although historically it was from his spending money and things he sold to other countries - not with a great result it turned out -.

I think more like, it's on Russia-China bank that could be an issue? I have to jog my memory, but i think at this point England-Japan-US was against Russia. Having out-right ties with Russia could cause issue with other countries. Also, if Japan knew the king has money in outside, they could take it with forged document. (I read somewhere they actually did it with germany bank ).

Also, does AS and her master work for the king? Cause if I remember correctly AS’s grandfather was the kings favorite scholar and seems to have had ties with his son and the gunner master by knowing about their allegiance to fighting foreign influence on their homeland. I’m just curious if they have support from the king cause I’m always wondering like when I thought Gunner jang would get arrested for selling the gun or AS caught during the mission when DM shot her if they end up getting pardoned by the king cause they’re like his shadow army no one knows about. Basically does the king suppo AS’s group? Also are he and Hina allies too swing how she got a doc from them and burned it after telling EC to use translator? If that’s the case and DM and EC also turn to the other side aka Joean then maybe story will lead to all these characters working together to keep their country from being controlled by another nation.

I think EunSan(the potter)may work for king, he seems to have at least admiration. But, from the drama, I don't think any direct tie between king and Righteous Army was shown yet. While Hina does seem to be working for king ( the letter had King's agent stamp mark on it ), not sure whether she is double agent or not. She told EC to use interpreter, but King's royal vassal doesn't seem to know about treacherous interpreter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, philosophie said:

Here you go, the deposit note for the slush fund.  Money is taken out from the Emperor Private Treasury... he’s stashing gold bars which should belong to the nation’s bank.  Plus it has a bank note of 100k yen, showing the country was doing business with Japanese while people have been suffering under the same foreigners.  He embezzled the money into a foreign bank account to be reinvested into Germany securities to hide the money trail and his name as the owner.  It’s a Russia China bank cuz at the time, the emperor and the queen did have relations with both countries.

Nobleman Go was a highly respected court advisor to the young King Gojong.  He has stepped away from the court prolly since the fallout of Ganghwa and has been funding the resistance with his son became one.   Go family including Ae Shin opposes the current emperor and also concurrently is fighting foreign countries that want to indoctrinate Joseon.  The rebels have taken upon themselves to defend their country since they felt their Emperor cannot with his words and diplomacy.  Plus, they feel the ruling class has abandoned the people and their rights.

Screenshot 2018-07-23 18.26.28Screenshot 2018-07-23 18.27.36

Eun San is the head of the Righteous Army along with gunner Seung Gu who is Ae Shin’s trainer.  The Righteous Army is considered an internal rebellion threat to the Emperor.  I don’t think at this point, the army is big or strong enough to be considered a real force yet. The Emperor is looking for an alliance in the US to help him against Japan’s growing interest.

Heena is an enigma.  She got the directive/msg from the minister to send Eugene to the court but doesn’t completely have loyalty to him since she didn’t disclose to the minister that the interpreter is pro Japanese.  I think she is a double agent for the minister and the Righteous Army since Eun San was able to get into Eugene’s room.

@charray Is it a thank you dinner from Eugene to Heena for helping him with the interpreter? She cannot remarry while in Joseon nor does she want to lose her Japanese wealth/ Hotel Glory.  What will she benefit from having Eugene in her life, since she doesn’t want to give everything up?  :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, philosophie said:

No, in my opinion they don't as GN despises the emperor for abandoning his loyal subjects. -Remember, he keeps saying that he is a rebel and as such, he doesn't acknowledge the king's authority. Notice that the emperor is trying to get the support from foreign countries (Russia, USA) which is exactly what the Righteous Army doesn't want. Their goal is different.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

Here you go, the deposit note for the slush fund.  Money is taken out from the Emperor Private Treasury... he’s stashing gold bars which should belong to the nation’s bank.  Plus it has a bank note of 100k yen, showing the country was doing business with Japanese while people have been suffering under the same foreigners.  He embezzled the money into a foreign bank account to be reinvested into Germany securities to hide the money trail and his name as the owner.  It’s a Russia China bank cuz at the time, the emperor and the queen did have relations with both countries.

It's not embezzlement when it's King's spending money and his private wealth. Nobody really thought it as slush fund then and now. - I think this misconception is due to initial use of word slush fund in somewhere. It's secret fund, yes, but secret to keep it from Japan. The note of Russo-Chinese bank noted Korean emperor clearly, and for German bank it was also known to be Korean emperor's money. And I don't think this secret fund in Russo-China will go to German in this drama.

@charray Is it a thank you dinner from Eugene to Heena for helping him with the interpreter? She cannot remarry while in Joseon nor does she want to lose her Japanese wealth/ Hotel Glory.  What will she benefit from having Eugene in her life, since she doesn’t want to give everything up?  :)

She's definitely trying to seduce Eugene, since day 1 when they met right after Hina rescuing her employee. (her gesture when EC gave her his handkerchief, keyswapping and trying to get in between Eugene and Aeshin at train station). Not sure what will happen to hotel ownership though if she marries, but I don't think she needs marriage. She already had a English lover, so having Korean-american lover may not be that different.

Also, from A new article about Eugene's new character development in next set of episodes.

from https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&aid=0002717939

From this news, we may expect more expressive Eugene Choi in next set of episodes.  Lee Byung-Hun has been playing Eugene's complex status of mind and rigidness, not exploding the emotion of rage/revenge, hiding them and only showing them thru small facial expression, lines, and small gestures. With the next sets(they said it's chapter 2?), they're saying he may express dramatic emotion with more actions (Yay!).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mistymorning said:

It's not embezzlement when it's King's spending money and his private wealth. Nobody really thought it as slush fund then and now. - I think this misconception is due to initial use of word slush fund in somewhere. It's secret fund, yes, but secret to keep it from Japan. The note of Russo-Chinese bank noted Korean emperor clearly, and for German bank it was also known to be Korean emperor's money. And I don't think this secret fund in Russo-China will go to German in this drama.

She's definitely trying to seduce Eugene, since day 1 when they met right after Hina rescuing her employee. (her gesture when EC gave her his handkerchief, keyswapping and trying to get in between Eugene and Aeshin at train station). Not sure what will happen to hotel ownership though if she marries, but I don't think she needs marriage. She already had a English lover, so having Korean-american lover may not be that different.

You could be right about the fund being only his secret fund.  We haven't been shown that it was channeled from the country's account.  I think he does initially want to reinvested in German stocks and securities via the bank as stated in the note.  Dramabeans' recap indicated it as slush so maybe this is a presumption tho I do think he wants to keep the movement of money out of the country a secret from the people of Joseon, not only Japan.

The Emperor did bring up the rumor of a slush fund during his talk with Minister Lee Se-hoon.  Minister Lee was trying to probe the secret that the Emperor kept close at heart.  He didn't confirm but didn't deny that the secret fund exists.

Screenshot 2018-08-03 12.55.40

Spoiler

Screenshot 2018-08-03 12.56.15Screenshot 2018-08-03 12.56.30Screenshot 2018-08-03 12.57.01Screenshot 2018-08-03 12.57.19

What we don't know is where his private wealth came from, since it has a bank note of 100k yen.  From the conversation with Eugene, Kyle seems to think that the money came from the ginseng and the railroad concession which is arguably not his private money.  At the time, history indicates Emperor granted concessions of mining, lumber, railroad, gold, ginseng to many countries including Japan, US, Russia.  In that conversation, Kyle implied that the fund is Joseon's money... not necessarily Emperor's.  It's pretty ambiguous but I can see why many people are considering it a slush fund.  I think for dramatic sake, KES left it implied.

Regarding Heena, I think she would risk losing the hotel if it is not under her Japanese name once Korea is annexed.  I don't know if Eugene is a US citizen legally so marrying him also carries risk of losing her hotel as US/Japan relationship is not the best.  She's very smart. Wonder if she feels the same once she finds out about Eugene's past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

th_tq.gif Thank you so much everyone for another round of great discussion and info (to read) about the king, the Righteous Army, the secret document, relations etc. Thank you for always bringing up good points to ponder and thoughtful replies that explain a lot of the situation in the drama more clearly. It is indeed an insightful film-level-discussion thread we have here, apart from the photos, cool artwork, trivia and fan- sharing all around. :wub:

Speaking of fan art, a nice collection by asong1101 

Spoiler

And.. of course.. it's the much-anticipated weekend! It's Saturday again and episode 9, we've been waiting! :lol:

mrsun_elbh2.gif

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

13 hours ago, bedifferent said:

The Emperor did bring up the rumor of a slush fund during his talk with Minister Lee Se-hoon.  Minister Lee was trying to probe the secret that the Emperor kept close at heart.  He didn't confirm but didn't deny that the secret fund exists.

Interesting! I didn't catch this subtitle. I wonder who did subtitle here. Korean word he used could mean both secret fund and slush fund.

What we don't know is where his private wealth came from, since it has a bank note of 100k yen.  From the conversation with Eugene, Kyle seems to think that the money came from the ginseng and the railroad concession which is arguably not his private money.  At the time, history indicates Emperor granted concessions of mining, lumber, railroad, gold, ginseng to many countries including Japan, US, Russia.  In that conversation, Kyle implied that the fund is Joseon's money... not necessarily Emperor's.  It's pretty ambiguous but I can see why many people are considering it a slush fund.  I think for dramatic sake, KES left it implied.

Eh, in history, King Gojong on 1899 turned a lot of government assets as king's money to strengthen emperor's power. That includes ginseng and others. Historians said it wasn't smart move and Joseon wasted a chance to modernize. But, that makes all very much legal to spend them on whatever he wanted. 

On other note, the rickshaw date is making my heart warm. They look so good together and along with their walk last time, it's again nice that they're on the same level, comfortable. - Maybe Eugene is a bit awkward? He's holding oriental medicine , so they seem to be coming from apothecary so continuation from the ending of the last episode.

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote images. Thanks :)
  • Like 6