Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

15 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In korean, that sounds like DM said he saw that(coat) in Jemulpo. So probably subtitle mistake here.

I went to listen again... he said he saw it in Jemulpo once before. The 'it' was not mentioned in this sentence, but hangul usually is like that when the subject is already previously mentioned. Maybe the sub is referring to EC because he is the subject in the first sentence. But yes, I agree it is the coat or the person wearing the coat that they are talking about.

DM was remembering AS on that daylight event but EC was remembering AS on the night of his and AS's first encounter. DM is fishing for confirmation of other encounters than the one that day and EC saw that, hence his refusal to answer. 

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

In korean, that sounds like DM said he saw that(coat) in Jemulpo. So probably subtitle mistake here.

@miracle23There was a distinct flashback of EC holding a gun when DM was talking about this so I dont think its a subtitle mistake. I watched the original on Netflix and he did said he saw EC in Jemulpo.

Yes, I have caved in to signing up for Netflix. Free for the first month, but I will have to pay for the next since the drama will still have 7 weeks to go. Damn, live dramas :sweatingbullets:

~~

Yes yes, DM went overboard grabbing the girl's hair. But am I the only one excited that he is finally getting his "date" with AS soon. Lol, that scene better be good!

Oh regarding the scene of AS walking on ice, its really a metaphor right? She IS treafing on thin ice being in the RA. Yes I like the fact that she finally was stop in the mind track about who is she protecting Joseon for. There seems to be such huge inequality among the people.

Hina is very interesting and really beautiful this week, I think she got the best deal in costumes. Lol. She always have remarkable insight about the 3 men and AS, her role seems to be like a commentator. 

Next week's trailer spark my curiosity about who AS is fighting with and also why all of sudden DM is holding Hina, a dream perhaps? The writer cant switch tracks half way about the romantic interest of DM.

Lee Wan Ik is indeed pesky. Credits to the actor who also did a stellar performance freaking me out in W (2 worlds). 

Am glad the writer didnt drag the bank note plot for the whole series. Now that it is back with the incompetent king, the villain minister is the new plot point for the rest of the story?

The ratings is amazing at 12 and reflects the more solid story development this ep vs the last.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

Sorry to cut your post dear, beautiful that they are, the screenshots. Paging for @Ahpheng, this call for a strip of their own, these two souls. Are you up for it my friend? :blush:

Yes, I will create one of Hina and DM ....if not now but definitely later. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 2

My random thoughts:

- Romance! While the EC-AS romance hit the expected hitch, never fear, it's just a bump in the road. AS is already a bad-a$$ freedom fighter superhero who parkours all over Joseon rooftops. I don't think she cares if the man she loves is from the slave class. I do think she needs some time to consider that the Joseon she wants to save does have some serious flaws, like the brutal feudal system. Let's give her some time to think things over.

- Bromance! I think the best relationship in the show is among the three dudes. The American-Joseon, the Japanese-Joseon, and the Handsome-Joseon. I will never get bored seeing these three in a room together joking about killing each other.

Overall, I feel like the show took its time setting everything up, but it's finally hitting its stride. One of the best scenes is EC's conversation with the potter Eun-San. There is so much history between them, but it took 10 episodes to slow-burn this eventual encounter and the payoff was worth it.

I think a large part of the excitement comes from seeing both EC and DM rediscover their allegiance to Joseon through their love for AS. (She is basically Mother Joseon in this story.) Both men have turned their backs on Joseon, but now they are realizing that Joseon exists beyond their own sad experiences. There is obviously a very "ra ra patriotism" element to it that exceeds any romance in this story, but that's been built into the premise.

And now we know why this show is called "Mr. Sunshine." That seemed like such a random and unfitting title, but now I love it.

--

A few notes from the tvN character descriptions:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mrsunshine/3/Contents/Html

- Regarding Lee Wan-Ik: Not only did he sell off his daughter, he also sold his younger sister when he was younger so he can have money to learn English. He also cast off his wife because she was from Joseon. (Hina's mother) Most importantly, he was the son of a poor tenant farmer's family. (Not a butcher.)

This is an interesting storytelling choice because the real historical figure that he is based on (Ye Wanyong) was "born to a prominent family" according to Wikipedia. So the writer has chosen to make Wan-Ik actually similar to EC and DM - that he's suffered brutally because of the feudal system which made him turn his back on Joseon.

But unlike EC and DM, he becomes the greatest traitor of all-time against his country instead. Because he's a bad person who hates himself.

- One thing about Ae-Soon: She was married, but could not have children. After 10 years, her husband took a concubine who gave birth to a son right away, so that is why Ae-Soon is depressed and spends all her time gambling.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Seoulmemories said:

Oh regarding the scene of AS walking on ice, its really a metaphor right? She Is treafing on thin ice being in the RA. Yes I like the fact that she finally was stop in the mind track about who is she protecting Joseon for. There seems to be such huge inequality among the people.

When I heard the crack of ice for each step she made, I also felt her heart breaking and her belief of her fight shattered (for that moment).  At first I thought she was going to give a good answer to EC's question, but then she did need time to reflect more before giving her appropriate response. 

For now, EC believe that he got the answer from her by returning the music box without saying and without leaving any written word.  As usual, just can't wait to see their interaction next...

• Like 12

Several people have asked whether DM says to Eugene that he saw him on the roof in Jemulpo. I do not know what was said in Korean, but the Netflix translation made sense to me. DM and EC brought HS in the room to avoid HS's clothes drawing attention. Then what follows is a funny discussion about what they will do if the question of the identity of the shooter in Jemulpo arises. All know the shooter is AS and want to defend her. But their way of doing is very different: DM says that he saw Eugene, Eugene says he does not inquire into the issue, HS tells them he had already solved the issue by dressing in the same suit to make it become fashionable. (The three solutions reflect their characters and behaviour: DM is after Eugene because he is jealous; Eugene will not rush and use his power as an American soldier and HS acts in a frivolous but effective way.)

I was wondering why AS left after Eugene told her his story. The conclusion I came is that AS felt guilty: guilty of being a noble, guilty of not inquiring further into why she fights and for what she fights. Interpreted in this way, I think her discussion afterwards with the gunner makes more sense, especially the gunner reassuring her that she is not biased against lower classes. I am very curious what you think about why AS left.

(For the moment, the piece of advice the gunner gave her makes some sense, but it is not a very persuasive: Eugene's status in Joseon is different from that of the gunner. However, it is also not very very different. I'm very curious how they will resolve this new problem that appeared.)

@mistymorning I think you are right about Hina's remarks about Eugene. Indeed, he is neither at home in Joseon, nor in America. In the first or second episode, didn't he suspect he was sent to Joseon so that if he fails, the Americans will blame him for being a Joseon person? Probably Eugene is very aware that he does not fit in any of the countries. Maybe the fact that he is accepted by the potter is a sign that he finally found its place.

I think we are told that Eugene will join the Righteous army because he has some skills that the Righteous army really needs.

He is a very good strategist (everybody praises him for how he acts) and the rebel army needs one (Eugene remarks that the rebel army is a very clumsy organization). What I expect in the future is for him to start training the rebel army. From what I read, historically the armies were led by people from very different backgrounds. For example, one is Choi Ik-hyeon: I think the emperor's adviser seems to be based on him. Some other leaders were commoners, one I think was even a hunter (if I remember correctly from what I read). So the Righteous army/armies seems to be a mix of people from very different backgrounds, and Eugene would have fitted there.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I think a large part of the excitement comes from seeing both EC and DM rediscover their allegiance to Joseon through their love for AS. (She is basically Mother Joseon in this story.) Both men have turned their backs on Joseon, but now they are realizing that Joseon exists beyond their own sad experiences. There is obviously a very "ra ra patriotism" element to it that exceeds any romance in this story, but that's been built into the premise.

Yes, I agree with you on this which is why I think this is Kim Eun Suk's most ambitious work so far. Writing about history and patriotism.

It really spark the question for the guys, do they just become patriots just because they were born in Joseon? Shouldnt they pledge allegiance to the current country that adopted them? It is a dillemma to be answered.

• Like 4

Instead of 'rebel'.. perhaps, it meant 'traitor' referring to Lee Se Hoon?

August 5, 2018

"Mr. Sunshine" Kim Min-jung Steals Rebel Gold

Source: Newsen via HanCinema.net

photo992445.jpg

On the latest episode of the tvN drama "Mr. Sunshine", Kudo Hina (Kim Min-jung) punished Lee Se-hoon's (Choi Jin-ho) concubine.

There was a rumor that the enemy of Eugene Choi's (Lee Byung-hun) parents, Lee Se-hoon's concubine, ran off with his gold. She then tried to buy clothes from Kudo Hina before she ran off.

The concubine handed her one gold bar, but Kudo Hina said, "You gave me enough for three sets of clothes. Wear one now and take two more with you. I'll take the price by the bag". She was asking for the whole bag of gold bars.

The concubine said, "I earned them with my effort" and Kudo Hina said, "The price for having been his concubine is your life. I'll give you clothes since it's cold. Don't lose everything".

Kudo Hina took the bag to Gojong (Lee Seung-joon) and Lee Jeong-moon (Kang Shin-il).

photo992446.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

After made us widely smile, fluttered and happy in episode 9, they made us cry in Episode 10!

Good writer-nim, make us suffer longer!

14 episodes left.

60 mins feels like  15 mins.

6 days feels like forever!!:bawling:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@blademan dear, it would be best if you refer to the pinned posts by Berou. We would prefer to avoid unnecessary fights in here. If you disagree with any posts, agree to disagree my friend. No one shall attack you or your views hence you shan't as well. Maintain a positive discussion please. Thank you.

• Like 1

Hmm looking from AS point of view, I could understand why she did what she did...

From her convo with her master, we know that AS wasn’t prejudiced against people below her rank— this was proven when gunner Jang mentioned how she kept on coming back to the hut even after being talked down to multiple times... but like her master said, it doesn’t have anything to do with her or what she thinks or feels, it’s just how the world works... AS might not care of EG’s origin but that’s not how others would see... I think AS decides to leave EG because she realizes that there’s simply no future for them so might as well part ways now to avoid further heartbreak... EG probably also knows of this as well, which is why he said to the Emperor that he’ll be leaving soon to avoid hurting someone... Guess we’ll find out what happens next week; time jump or not... 1 week just feels so longgg...

• Like 11

[SPOILERS!!!][Mr. Sunshine Roundup] Episode 9 + 10

0000884218_001_20180804223030430.jpg

1. [+5767, -466] Wow it's really fun.... It's a masterpiece where you won't be surprised if it gets ratings over 40%

2. [+4430, -101] Righteous army night begins. Eventually, because of Captain Ae Shin they'll sync up and Lee Byung Hun will become Captain Joseon, Byun Yo Han is Joseon Stark, and Yoo Yeon Seok is Dong Mae Eye and they'll form righteous army avengers. Min Jung Widow, Moo Sung Hulk, and Kap Soo Strange will be back up. 
↪ [+263, -7] Crazy ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
↪ [+134, -3] What is this comment ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ daebak ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ the comparison is daebak     
↪ [+175, -1] You are a genius

3. [+3792, -832] It had to be Lee Byung Hun. (t/n: They're saying it had to be Lee Byung Hun who plays the role of Eugene Choi) 

4. [+3008, -224] I feel like Kim Eun Sook's life work is 'Mr. Sunshine'. The immersion is also really good. More than anything, because the actors are so good at acting, it feels like you're in awe and more in awe. Lee Byung Hun is seriously, wow~~~ amazing. They made a drama into a high quality movie. Kim Tae Ri just seems like Go Ae Shin, she confuses me into thinking that her character existed in real life and she looks so good in hanbok. Today's ending was so sad ㅠ

5. [+1536, -104] This is really the best.. To the point where they can't make it better 

6. [+945, -11] The last part in today's episode where they asked, "This Joseon you're trying to protect, who is it for?" and when the A-frame carrier righteous army member said, "It's still my country I protect". I hope people will no longer watch this drama and say it's a glamorization of pro-Japanese and what not. Criticizing our own problems isn't a pro-Japanese glamorization or a colonial view of history. A true patriot isn't a person who blindly takes the side of their country but rather, it's a person who works hard so that their country walks on the right path. 

7. [+793, -44] Lee Byung Hun is seriously really good at acting ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ When he was getting revenge for his parents, his facial expression was really chilling...

2018080601000454700031152_20180805223842

1. [+1794, -49] Sigh... I feel like it's really the best drama... it's so fun 

2. [+968, -22] His acting where he was sobbing under his hat was daebak

3. [+861, -26] At the kiln site when Eun San told Eugene to stay the night and Eugene cried, seriously his tears ㅠㅠ Lee Byung Hun is seriously really good at acting ㅠㅠ The soundless cry made those tears sadder ㅠㅠ He did what the king told him to do, he also loved with Ae Shin, and also learned Hangul from Do Mi, let's stay in Joseon, where are you gonna go ㅠㅠ

4. [+849, -35] I got chills at the end!!! Mr. Sunshine is Lee Byung Hun

5. [+766, -25] Eugene - Sunshine, Dong Mae - Snow, Hee Sung - Star.... aka stupid, idiot, wuss 

6. [+402, -12] Kim Sarang was originally supposed to play Kim Min Jung's role of Kudo Hina. She quit because she was sick but I feel like Kim Min Jung is the perfect match.

credits: Ddoboja

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, philosophie said:

Ep 9 was hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing when HS left the bar with a limp (wrong leg!). Then when AS realized EC can’t read Korean. Or how EC realized he drank a medicine for the feet! The humor was so on point.

I also love those humor too.. It somehow made my heavy heart to smile

And those 2 guys bringing HS to EC room was really funny moment to haha 

HS would definitely make me cry later if he get hurt or really get heartbroken.. coz his character hides this emotion for now, but i know one way or another, its going to happen. 

• Like 7