Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] Mr. Sunshine, 미스터 션샤인 - Winner of Critics’ Choice Award for Drama category

I don't understand why is everyone so criticizing of AS's actions. I think it's too soon to judge her. For me it's apparent that this is her way of protecting Eugene. I don't see her as one of those people who would be prejudiced against someone's origin. And her talk with the teacher is another prove of that. She was considering her chances of staying with Eugene but opted against it after her teacher's reasonings that their relashionship would bring more harm to Eugene 'cause that's the world they are living in. And she doesn't want to see him hurt any more than he already is.

Plus AS now realizes that Joseon she protects is the Joseon that took away Eugene's family. And staying beside him means inevitably entangle him in its affairs which is not something he wants to do nor something she can ask of him.

That's why she decided to end it for both of their sakes.

• Like 13

Episode 10 has so much feels to it.  I feel so sorry for AS.  She had to take her master’s advice to protect EC and i also think that EC’s question about what she is fighting for made her waver a little bit.  The scene where she was talking to her parents broke my heart.   

:tears:

I want that Lee Wan-Ik to disappear ASAP.  Thank goodness the emperor is not gullible, at least at this moment  :mellow:

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, juju84 said:

I don't understand why is everyone so criticizing of AS's actions. I think it's too soon to judge her. For me it's apparent that this is her way of protecting Eugene. I don't see her as one of those people who would be prejudiced against someone's origin. And her talk with the teacher is another prove of that. She was considering her chances of staying with Eugene but opted against it after her teacher's reasonings that their relashionship would bring more harm to Eugene 'cause that's the world they are living in. And she doesn't want to see him hurt any more than he already is.

Plus AS now realizes that Joseon she protects is the Joseon that took away Eugene's family. And staying beside him means inevitably entangle him in its affairs which is not something he wants to do nor something she can ask of him.

That's why she decided to end it for both of their sakes.

Well, not criticizing here. AS before really didn't think about class system. Her patriotism had been romantic patriotism on that aspect, even though she was fighting for her country. 

But this episode is where Aeshin starts to grow and understand Eugene and Dongmae. Notice the scene where AS was in the palanquin? It's shaking, and AS seems to be on the verge of phobia. After that scene, we're seeing lot of times AS walks instead of being in palanquin. She's changing.

• Like 15

51 minutes ago, mistymorning said:

Well, not criticizing here. AS before really didn't think about class system. Her patriotism had been romantic patriotism on that aspect, even though she was fighting for her country. 

But this episode is where Aeshin starts to grow and understand Eugene and Dongmae. Notice the scene where AS was in the palanquin? It's shaking, and AS seems to be on the verge of phobia. After that scene, we're seeing lot of times AS walks instead of being in palanquin. She's changing.

That's right.  She starts to fully realize the real scope of the fight they are all in but most of all she starts to see it from the perspective of other people and their stories (what it means for others) and understand the consequences.

She is indeed growing up and maybe you have a point and AS's patriotism really was a bit on the romantic side but I'd rather say she never thought it out more deeply nor had the chance to experience it from another perspective thus sometimes misjudging others.

Eugene's question made her realize that he is more mature in that respect. AS got her homework and now it's her time to find the answer to the question of *what is she really fighting for*?  setting new direction to her life and finding her true way and reason.

• Like 16

Hina Kudo, and her comments about these three always make me laugh.

A smart and strong woman. Real femme fatale.

I like her and DMs special relationship, and their calm talks.

• Like 13
  • LOL 1

What a sad sad episode... I am just floored... :tears: Episode 10 is literally packed with sadness... LBH’s eyes are so expressive especially in the scene where he asked Ae Shin if she’s shocked of what the nobleman had said or his origin.. if you look closely, there was that pause before he said the word ‘origin’ and it looked like he was choking which was pretty devastating to watch...

Also I was hoping Ae Shin was going to save the excuse of returning the music box for another day when she can’t bear the separation anymore but nope, that hope was shattered...

One scene that’s definitely worth mentioning is the scene between Eugene and the potter who saved his life.. It was definitely one of the best scenes in the whole drama and LBH crying under the hat was just heartbreaking... I don’t usually cry much while watching dramas but this scene is one of the rare moments that I found myself tear up... :tears:

I think someone here mentioned the possibility of a time jump?? That’d be interesting to see... though I kinda doubt this will happen... One thing for sure is I am kind of scared of how this will end... the tone of the drama is serious and borderline sad now.. I really hope I am dead wrong on this one... I’d be really pissed if they don’t end up together...

On a side note— how come Kyle didn’t bring back any gift for Eugene??? I thought he was just trolling when he said that... That would’ve been something that would cheer him up a bit... :unsure: can I also mention how smart everyone in this drama is?? They are experts at putting 2-2 together.. normally you’d see kdramas dragging on things like this so it’s refreshing to see smart characters who can figure things out quickly... hahaha.. Lastly, enough said but the cinematography deserves a stand-alone recognition for sure... All the scenes are just sooo pretty... :wub:

• Like 10

Ost 5
A quiet wind came and asked 
what I thought of you.

That’s how without my knowing It 
you quietly came into my heart then

Because you are fast asleep
Are you dreaming?
The whole world
That’s you.

Will the beam of light which falls
Even know 
The reason why it hurt then?

Start of refrain
It was the beginning.
On such a lovely day
I could hold you in my eyes
A lovely day.

I soared.
Dazzled then.
In my hear,t in my mind
Like a day the flowers bloom
I bloomed
End of refrain

Why are there just tears
Which can’t be hidden
Which can’t be stopped?

A long story
A cold and sad story
At the end you and I are hugging

Will we part?
I must try to hang on with
My two hands holding you

Refrain

Beautifully
Brilliantly
You are that.
Because you remain so lovely
Will you walk this path with me?

The path you are walking toward me
On the path which blooms radiantly forever
I want to be there always

It was the beginning.
On such a lovely day
I could hold you in my eyes
A lovely day.

For the first time I cried
Because I will see you
In my longing, in my wanting to see you
is that one reason
which is you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mistymorning said:

And the rumors that will tarnish AS's name will be unbelievable. Only option left to AS and EC would be running away from the country. Can someone like AS do that? I don't think so.

Thanks bringing this up, when I was watching ep 10 I couldn't help but wonder if AS would repeat her parents' actions. From what I've gathered, her parents ran away and got married secretly and then were a part of the fight against traitors and to protect Joseon. It seems like her parents are of different social classes. That's what I've gathered from the little info we've got of AS' origins.

I have a question though: the look that AS gave to EC and he was afraid - was he referring to the look of pity or was it the look of despair as she might have realized that she adheres to the "rule" of different classes? 

Changing gears: I love the mirrors scenes as well @loversbridge - imo, it looks as if the director wants to show how similar these 2 souls are. Hina cares about money as much as DM does - ie: when she told the ex-foreign minister's mistress to give her the bag of gold in exchange for her silence. Another example is when Hina had the nerve to tell the king to pay for his coffee lol another example of their similarity is their lack of loyalty for Joseon or Japan. Lastly, the similarity in that the person they love/have feelings for  refuses to see the love they have for them. Hina for EC and Dm for AS

Changing gears x2: favorite scene from ep 10 is when the poster finally acknowledged EC as the boy he saved 30+ years ago. Such an emotional scene of acceptance for EC from someone in Joseon. 

• Like 13

Very nice, series high up till now.

AGB  Nielsen Ratings

Episode 1   7/7/18       8.852%

Episode 2   7/8/18       9.691%

Episode 3   7/14/18    10.082%

Episode 4   7/15/18    10.567%

Episode 5   7/21/18    10.835%

Episode 6   7/22/18     11.713%

Episode 7  7/28/18      11.114%

Episode 8  7/29/18      12.330%

Episode 9  8/3/18        11.695%

Episode 10  8/4/18      13.534%

Source

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Ep 9 was hilarious. I couldn’t stop laughing when HS left the bar with a limp (wrong leg!). Then when AS realized EC can’t read Korean. Or how EC realized he drank a medicine for the feet! The humor was so on point.

ep 10 starts out hitting me right in the feels. I’m becoming more convinced that AS is going to fight for a democratic Josean. I wish Hina and AS would get along like our lovehate trio does hahaha. Kinda makes me sad to watch two powerful and strong women against each other cause of a man. I hope they also get a little sismance like our three men have. Wow wasn’t Eugene staying at the Potter’s House? Wonder if what she saw was a hallucination or really him. I don’t want them to part ways, I wish she would run to him and tell him it doesn’t matter if he’s lowborn or not! 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

Saturday episodes' rating seem to dip a bit but the Sunday ones will make up for it with even higher numbers. 10 episodes down, 14 more to go! Instead of obvious time-jump.. perhaps, there'll be a jump (change) of motivation and direction for each of the characters' personality.

Eugene's moment of truth 

20180804_2.jpg

Spoiler

20180805_1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, q4q4 said:

Thanks bringing this up, when I was watching ep 10 I couldn't help but wonder if AS would repeat her parents' actions. From what I've gathered, her parents ran away and got married secretly and then were a part of the fight against traitors and to protect Joseon. It seems like her parents are of different social classes. That's what I've gathered from the little info we've got of AS' origins.

Hm.. jogging my memory here, I know grandpa knows what his son was doing, so he wasn't a runaway. There is no definite indication on Aeshin's mom's class, only thing said was that they loved each other. That was 30 years ago, so hm... to be embraced so well to the family, I think Aeshin's mom was more than likely from a noble family. If not, the scoff her cousin - Aesoon the gambler - is showing would have been worse. Here she's demanding Aeshin to call her as Assi(to call lady higher up) just because Aeshin's parent didn't follow thru traditional marriage steps. She is basically calling Aeshin's a baby out of wedlock. And HS's family wouldn't have arranged marriage Aeshin with their son if her mom was a lower class. Before the abolishment of class system, class was decided by the baby's mom's class and noble family have lower class wife as their concubines only. It's not possible to marry between classes.

I have a question though: the look that AS gave to EC and he was afraid - was he referring to the look of pity or was it the look of despair as she might have realized that she adheres to the "rule" of different classes? 

I thought it'd be the look of despair for her knowing his origin. It was just not possible in those times, love between lady such higher up and a slave.

Changing gears x2: favorite scene from ep 10 is when the poster finally acknowledged EC as the boy he saved 30+ years ago. Such an emotional scene of acceptance for EC from someone in Joseon. 

I cried along with Eugene too ! :'( 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, peonie said:

@Ahpheng  I love all the captions on the cartoon strips.  Please continue to create them.

Glad you loved the c-strips  and I hope  going forward, there are scenes that inspire me to create more. Thanks . 

• Like 12

I was away and only saw the latest episodes this morning.  So pardon me for only backreading the last page for now.  I keep hearing AS repeating "Sunshine" " Mister" Mr Sunshine over and over again.  I guess he really is Mr Sunshine for her.  He finally lights up the part of her dark life (her grandfather did ask her mentor to not let her know every details).   She is finally able to see the reality of what is going on in the present, the past and the future of people of Joseon.

• Like 8

I wrote these in DB, and am sharing it here. I had a good run of ep 10. 

My random thoughts on Mr. Sunshine Ep. 10:

- AS, you deserves an A+. Thank you for making my hope not a vain one. Thank you for taking the time to rethink your motivation. As I suspected, AS was not that very clear of the cause she’s fighting for. It’s good that EC made her ask such questions to herself and to her teacher. And it’s good that she finally tries to understand DM’s situations. But my lady, your wish of him living such a fearful life is a little outdated. He had that life before, EC had that life before, thus their animosity towards others who treated them so. I think you knew this because you saved DM once from that fear and EC told you of his story.

- DM, tsk tsk tsk… do you have to be a brute just to prove a point? She is just a girl! Ok, a minus and a detention for you. No, that puppy eyes are not gonna save you today. Maybe next week.

- DM & AS, children I need you to behave on the 15th. You guys need to resolve whatever issues you have in a calm and good manner. I need to see some actual result coming from it. Don’t talk in riddles and no more misunderstanding. No more getting into each other’s nerves every time you lay eyes on one another. DM please explain well, else she might just pull that trigger on you. Let’s hope that is never gonna happen anytime soon. I still need you and that skill of yours in class.

- DM after the 15th, I need you to stop following AS. Maybe you can start following HN. She needs someone to cover her back. I am gonna pray hard for that because thus far, majority of my hopes and prayers on this Mr. Sunshine journey have been well answered. *thankful*

- HN, another A+ student. I am loving her personality and traits. Her finesse in getting all that gold is just, gold. ^_^ Now we know she’s working for the minister for a favor to search for her mother. I am anticipating your actions next, HN ssi. Seems like we have some girls fight next week. I wish for a deuce, amen.

- My shocking moment: DM’s right hand man. Did he just speak in Korean?!! I had to rewind to hear that again. Why then, have they been conversing in Japanese all this while? *roll eyes* Aigoo… is there some secret we should not know about between these two? His blank look at DM, I hope he won’t be the one to betray DM later. I want him to be the very loyal right hand man.

- HS, DM and EC in one room. Aigoo boys, thank you for making an effort on that brainstorming session. EC, listen to DM. Amicable or not, you guys need to sit down and agree on a solution, especially for the very reason of having different information at hand. Shall we avoid prolonged misunderstanding, gentlemen? I look forward to see some good ideas next. HS, nice plan to start on a trend but won’t it be a little too late now? Just curious.

- Did DM just say he saw EC in Jemulpo? Which occasion was that? Did I miss something? Hmm… now I am also curious to know.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, miracle23 said:

- Did DM just say he saw EC in Jemulpo? Which occasion was that? Did I miss something? Hmm… now I am also curious to know.

In korean, that sounds like DM said he saw that(coat) in Jemulpo. So probably subtitle mistake here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, loversbridge said:

I try to not stay ship focused because the show has so many other interesting things than that but I liked the scene we got between DM and HK in episode 9. I mean, the face he made when he opened the door and saw her taking a bath :3 

And I like that we learn new things about Hina each time they have a scene. And DM seems so used to walk into her room and chat with her...

Also I wonder what means the use of mirrors during their scenes so if someone has an explanation I'll be happy to hear it ^^

Bonus:

I tried to do some icons, I'm not really used to do it and my caps weren't top quality but I tried. I love this ship so I couldn't help myself :blush:

Sorry to cut your post dear, beautiful that they are, the screenshots. Paging for @Ahpheng, this call for a strip of their own, these two souls. Are you up for it my friend? :blush:

• Like 6