[Drama 2018] Are You Human Too?, 너도 인간이니

Go Seung Ji

I have been a lurker in this section for quite a bit. It is really interesting when I read the many takes  on issues that arise from this drama. The back and forth discussions and agreeing and disagreeing of things. I guess this is what I THINK the drama wants us to think about. Basically....

1) Humans are essentially too intricate. The rationale behind our actions and feelings are influenced by so many factors. It is difficult to draw a clear line between right and wrong in certain things. Why do some people justify the use of violence and others dont? Why do we try to understand the reasons for certain actions because we feel for that person but when it comes to another, we simply cant accept it? Case in point, the So Bong vs Nam Sin debate.

2) There are many things that influence our thoughts. Our biasness and prejudices can

cloud our judgement and thinking. Be it So Bong toward Nam Sin or vice versa. Or how the 'poor' view the rich and how the rich view the 'poor'. Or how a woman or  man should behave. The double standards that we put on others. 

3) It also got me thinking of about how society will view or accept someone that is different or a 'thing' that goes against the basic 'principles of how a human should be like. Can we accept an AI? In reality, are we open to that idea? Can society accept someone like Nam Sin 3? People questioned why Laura can be so cold to Nam Sin 3. We have a question of Robot Son Vs Human Son. Some were irritated with So Bong for not warming up to Nam Sin 3 immediately. Then again, how would you react if you meet someone like Nam Sin 3, if we ignore his god like handsome look? Can you blame Nam Sin for being resentful toward Nam Sin 3? Just like how locals grow resentful when you have 'foreign' talents coming in to 'take away your jobs or livelihood. So if we have an AI that can replace you as a human, what will be our place in society then?

4) What is family to you? I am perturbed at the way Nam Sin's Grandpa treated him and his mother. They are rich but they are really poor in showing affection, care and love to one another. The members of this family are smart and intelligent but somehow ruthless in their pursuit of their goals. 

Then we have the rough and uncouth So Bong and her equally rough around the edges dad. The kind of family who acts and says things on impulse. Probably their actions are driven by emotions. Are they worse off for being 'less intelligent' and far too emotional? Could have So Bong and her dad have been more caring toward each other? Could So Bong have shown more care toward her dad and vice versa? But at the end, what I see is a father and daughter team who will be willing to go out of their way for their loved ones.

I really dont know how this drama will end. One thing that I like is the human characters in this drama are not at all perfect. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kalidreamz said:

many viewers are detached from reality.

But this is a fantasy drama, so that is the purpose. We are supposed to enter a world where that is possible. That you could meet such kind of robot. A robot that is able to evolve and have thoughts of his own. A robot able to ask his creator to give him the possibility of smiling, because that's the first thing Nam Shin III asked Mom, if you remember the first episodes. So he was not created to smile, he chose to smile in order to interact with Mom and humans. The same way we humans learn to smile in order to socialize and interact with others.

This robot does not exist here and now, but you know, if you showed your smartphone to a person that lived in the middle ages, they would think that you are a wizard or a demon and are doing impossible things. Technology advances in an exponential way and we have no idea of what we will be able to create in the future. We cannot build a robot like this today, but that shouldn't stop us from imagining what we would do if he existed, or what we would think of So Bong and him if both existed. That's the point of fiction and that's the fun part of watching fantasy.

Of course if what you want is to stick to the fact that what you are seeing is not real, you will not be able to enjoy the drama.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one impatient to see what happens today. If only because my suffering will end, haha!! :D

I really hope that Nam Shin III will do something unexpected, like overriding the manual control or save a few lives, haha!! He's being such a good boy lately that I forget about his super-human abilities sometimes. Also, I'm craving that we are given some hope about a possible future for Nam Shin III, things look so bad for him right now. And last but not least, can Nam Shin find already his lost father and reconcile with Mom so we all can have a break?

Fingers crossed it will not be as bad as it looks in the previews. :sweatingbullets:

5 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

The plan is simple,

people who are truly a family including robo, atleast are attempting to understand NS and his hurt is apparent to them.. you have to show that you are in as much pain and ready to share their pain to help them recover from it (as mom and ji are doing).. ji is also an outsider but look at his sensitivity towards both NS.. SB, i'm sorry is just a selfish person

but she has zero interest in that dynamics despite knowing all the fact and history, not because SB is an outsider  but because she has always been selfish and immature about handling her emotions (and i am pointing this out to show you she is all BS when she goes out pretending to be this caring person.. she doesn't , hasn't prioritized her own family or NS or anyone else, anytime she has any discomfort.. she seeks her own peace of mind)..

she has always hated NS because she judged him from the beginning - for his playboy ways and then for being slapped and lastly when she came to know that NS knew about her cheating ways all along.. As far as NS is concerned, that is all SB has against him and has always had against him... now, if it were someone else, i'd completely support that hate for NS.. but not in case of SB.. because till date she is all talk, she doesn't recognize her own role and mistake in all the interactions she has had with NS human

You think if SB wasn't there, kill switch wouldn't be averted. No!.. there were people ot handle that more effectively and efficiently (most effective would be grand-dad).. but we never got to that because she intervened (that was good intervention but again it was because she couldn't handle her emotions... otherwise she should have told robo about this truth because he is the only one smart enough about computer science.. but no! she won't do that.. she is hypocrisy personified)

Few corrections,

SB knows the story.. entire story

It is not her place to rip apart a family.. first by judging mom and completely ignoring a dying son situation and now completely trampling a anyway depressed person.. she needs to decide, either she is a family or isn't one.. right now she is just selfish woman

How is she not rude to YN and to NS himself, why can't she have a robot who looks metallic if her love is so pure?? No, she went in for the entire package.. who in this world would not like a super rich, super high IQ, dashing heartthrob who is so singularly focused on you to be your own boyfriend.. whom is she even trying to fool

Hmm... how is Ji an outsider when he has been with Nam Sin for so long? Ji understands Nam Sin very well so it is understandable if he empathises with him. These are people who have been with him for so long. Nam Sin 3 also knows him well because he was built as a replacement. Which episode was it that So Bong got to know about Nam Sin's story? The one about the grandfather etc? I must have missed that out.So Bong had no interaction with Nam Sin besides the initial episode and the last few episodes and you expect her to show the same amount of sensitivity to Nam Sin as others? Maybe with the mum, if you told me she should have been more sympathetic then that i would agree

Hmm.. i hope you are not justifying Yena's and Nam Sin's condescending attitude. I mean on both parts both parties were rude. Can you cite examples of So Bong being rude to Yena without provocation? The downside or upside to So Bong's character is she is reactive. Reactive to how people treat her. She loves Nam Sin 3 because he treated her well. Wont you love someone who treats you well. In fact she chose to stick to him even though she knows Nam sin 3 will end up with nothing in the end so i dont think the motivation is power/ money. And i dont think she knows about Grandpa's plan yet. 

So Bong has no clue about the grandfather. Sure she could have waited for the grandfather to do something about the killswitch but she chose to act because she thought it was urgent. Again she has no knowledge of grandpa. How is this hypocrisy? Maybe impulsive, full of emotions yes. Call it idiotic if you may. But why is she a hypocrite for wanting to help? She should have told Nam Sin about the killswitch but it seems to me earlier on she was also chastised for telling the robot too much? Damn if she does and damn if she does not? 

I dont think im the only one who seems quite perplexed by all this. So Bong is definitely a flawed character but it seems to me she is condemned from the get go. By the way, this is not about me being a fangirl of any character, because that is what someone who tried to speak up for So Bong is accused of. Heck I will even speak up for Yena or Nam Sin if there is a need to.

Anyway this will go back and forth. I have already had my say.

6 minutes ago, Rollito Deprimavera said:

But this is a fantasy drama, so that is the purpose. We are supposed to enter a world where that is possible. That you could meet such kind of robot. A robot that is able to evolve and have thoughts of his own. A robot able to ask his creator to give him the possibility of smiling, because that's the first thing Nam Shin III asked Mom, if you remember the first episodes. So he was not created to smile, he chose to smile in order to interact with Mom and humans. The same way we humans learn to smile in order to socialize and interact with others.

This robot does not exist here and now, but you know, if you showed your smartphone to a person that lived in the middle ages, they would think that you are a wizard or a demon and are doing impossible things. Technology advances in an exponential way and we have no idea of what we will be able to create in the future. We cannot build a robot like this today, but that shouldn't stop us from imagining what we would do if he existed, or what we would think of So Bong and him if both existed. That's the point of fiction and that's the fun part of watching fantasy.

Of course if what you want is to stick to the fact that what you are seeing is not real, you will not be able to enjoy the drama.

Well, I guess I'm not the only one impatient to see what happens today. If only because my suffering will end, haha!! :D

I really hope that Nam Shin III will do something unexpected, like overriding the manual control or save a few lives, haha!! He's being such a good boy lately that I forget about his super-human abilities sometimes. Also, I'm craving that we are given some hope about a possible future for Nam Shin III, things look so bad for him right now. And last but not least, can Nam Shin find already his lost father and reconcile with Mom so we all can have a break?

Fingers crossed it will not be as bad as it looks in the previews. :sweatingbullets:

I agree. 

This is fantasy (actually sci-fi but the point is the same) drama. It doesn't necessarily need to be happening in the real world. Just like other fantasy drama. W: Two Worlds for example. This one is even worse, cause the male is from comic world.  Fantasy dramas only need to be logical for the story, not for the real world. 

Love the way you present your opinion. Couldn't make it clearer. :)

@nateko @triplem @USAFarmgirl @jerboa83 @crazyyo I had decided to postpone to watch the last episode because I was bothered that NS would be in the center. I definitely prefer NS3... :wub:

However, there are many things that came to my mind, while watching the episodes from last week:

• First, the episodes 25-26 were more focused on NS3. It started with NS3 wishing to be a human. On the other hand, the episodes 27-28 were about NS who was forced to lie and live in that house for the sake of his mother. As you can see, both wish something different. Both are looking for something and both are emotional (although NS3 thinks, he feels no emotions).
  • Yet the huge difference between them is that NS3 is able to think from NS's perspective, just f. ex. when he criticized the grandfather. That's why NS3 is indeed superior to NS as he is less self-centered. I can understand why NS is upset that NS3 replaced him, yet he is exaggerating and even wrong. He reproached his mother to have created NS3 in order to replace him... no, he knows deep down that this wasn't the case. She even replied that NS3 was created because she missed him. His mother never abandoned him as he was the one who refused to follow her. He believed in his grandfather's thread. He clearly saw that NS3 showing some emotions, but he prefers denying his existence as human. When JYH was slapped, NS had indeed done something wrong and that is the point to me. In this exact scene, he is upset that JYH gets punished for his sake... he is not questioning his own actions. I can understand why he disliked being compared to NS3. However he had the chance to turn this into his favor with his cousin HD and his aunt. No, he thought that in order to become different from NS3, he needs to be harsh, rude, selfish and cold-hearted. So no wonder if KSB sees in him all the prejudices she had about him confirmed. To me, KSB showed a lot of patience in front of NS as he kept being rude towards anyone. To me, NS is so emotional and selfish that he doesn't realize that he is losing more and more the people who cared for him.
  • What also caught my attention are the parallels between the relationship between NS-YN and NS3-KSB. NS3 treated KSB like a human hence she came to like him. Because of her love, NS3 became more and more human and independent. We can say that KBS had a good impact on NS3. Now, NS3 reciprotates the feelings. From my point of view, we have the opposite with Ns. YN treats NS like her precious man, hence NS is able to do anything. To me, YN and NS have a toxic relationship, unlike NS3-KBS. She does everything he asks without asking. NS even told her father that YN would die for him, if he asked her to. And I do think that NS showed his cruelty and cunning by giving such a statement. This revealed to me that NS is well aware how far YN would go for him. I perceive YN as NS's robot. Sure, in order to please her (making her stay by his side), he had to ask KSB to quit her job. However, he is the one who gives the shot and leaves YN in the dark for many things. Then YN was rude and cold-hearted towards NS3, she used him as his toy for her own interest. YN was arrogant and violent towards KSB too. Notice that NS is acting the same way: he took the watch away (just like YN in the car), he treats NS3 like his "toy". He gives orders, he will even ask his mother for the manual control, just like YN forced his mother with the watch. We didn't see much Seo in the last episode because he has already decided how to destroy NS/NS3. He only needed to stir up jealousy and insecurities in NS in order to turn NS against NS3. 

To conclude, NS is rather stupid in my eyes as he has not realized that SJG has been manipulating him all along. SJG is far more dangerous than NS3 and his own grandfather. NS is not aware of it. I don't think that SJG will be behind the order NS3 hurting KSB. This will be NS's order so that JYH might threaten him to abandon him.

By the way, I still believe that the grandfather is not behind JW's disappearance. Seo manipulated the grandfather making him believe that he was just a minion and due to his order, something bad happened. The killer asked to Seo: why don't you do it like 20 years ago? I sense that NGH has been misinformed. 

8 hours ago, kalidreamz said:

I watched the drama up to the part the real human Nam Shin comes around then stop.  Visit this site to read spoilers and some interesting reaction from the drama viewers. 

About the robot NS3, he is perfect because his mom and David built him to be perfected, to smile often and have no flaws -- he is a man, a co-worker, a boss, a son, a friend, and a companion that any human would dream to have or to befriend with.  Because it is NOT human. 

Then here is a real human being Nam Shin who was forcefully taken away from his mom at young age, who forced to say hurtful words to his mom in order to save her life. Who has to live with an abusive grandfather and grow up with evil people around him who only waits an opportunity to take his life.  He has to be cruel in order to survive, he plotted his escape to look for his mom but was murdered.  He was lucky to survive, however; there is his clone walking around, perfect in every way replacing his place and probably here to stay.  If he doesn't get mad or try to destroy it, then HE IS NOT HUMAN, he is saint. 

I ththought one of the criteria for bring a saint was to be human.

OIt doesn't matter what was the reason for the robot to exist in his place, they can't be coexistence ... IMO, I don't think anyone could peacefully live knowing your clone is somewhere around you. The writer has done beautiful job to implement reality into the drama, but why I stop watching it because a weird twisted love between the girl and the robot could put a human life in danger. 

I can see how that might make folks uncomfortable, even though there are those that accept human love with vampires and were-folks without qualms. Perhaps because humans have been loving reptiles and beasts for centuries in folk- and fairytales it is easier to see those stories as metaphor. However since Shin3 is so close ( or not) to the possible it makes people uncomfortable. But we can view Shin3 as an update on the Pinocchio story.

When she said she would risk her life too if he got exploded, I thought "writer, please you should have written this character is an orphan because she doesn't give a shred about her dad, her friends, or the people who grew up with her."  The character gives me the impression that she would kill or endanger human Shin if her toy or slave got taken away.  Uhm, ... this girl is insane.

Differ on your assessment of SoBong's sanity in a story about a robot gaining consciousness. These types stories are usually about the exemplary humanity of  non-humans that make humans better at being human beings. Sometimes the non- human is from out of space. The quirk in this story is the only one Shin3 improves if he improves anyone is SoBong. He ( it if you prefer, but he to me) just reveals humans ruthlessness.

Because the actor who plays NS3 is handsome in real life, many viewers are detached from reality. 

The actor who plays humanShin is just as handsome as the one playing Shin3, so . . .

BTW in a fantasy drama staying thetered to reality is reallyly the point. .

I hope that at the end of drama, us -- the viewers and writer don't forget that human makes mistake but nothing should place above human -- even a perfect robot.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I would like to remind our visitors here to stop being rude towards each other: don't insult or bash an user. Respect each other's opinion. I have already started giving warning points, something I usually avoid. 

:cold_sweat:

Exactly how is personal attack an opinion?

23 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@nateko @triplem @USAFarmgirl @jerboa83 @crazyyo I had decided to postpone to watch the last episode because I was bothered that NS would be in the center. I definitely prefer NS3... :wub:

However, there are many things that came to my mind, while watching the episodes from last week:

• First, the episodes 25-26 were more focused on NS3. It started with NS3 wishing to be a human. On the other hand, the episodes 27-28 were about NS who was forced to lie and live in that house for the sake of his mother. As you can see, both wish something different. Both are looking for something and both are emotional (although NS3 thinks, he feels no emotions).
  • Yet the huge difference between them is that NS3 is able to think from NS's perspective, just f. ex. when he criticized the grandfather. That's why NS3 is indeed superior to NS as he is less self-centered. I can understand why NS is upset that NS3 replaced him, yet he is exaggerating and even wrong. He reproached his mother to have created NS3 in order to replace him... no, he knows deep down that this wasn't the case. She even replied that NS3 was created because she missed him. His mother never abandoned him as he was the one who refused to follow her. He believed in his grandfather's thread. He clearly saw that NS3 showing some emotions, but he prefers denying his existence as human. When JYH was slapped, NS had indeed done something wrong and that is the point to me. In this exact scene, he is upset that JYH gets punished for his sake... he is not questioning his own actions. I can understand why he disliked being compared to NS3. However he had the chance to turn this into his favor with his cousin HD and his aunt. No, he thought that in order to become different from NS3, he needs to be harsh, rude, selfish and cold-hearted. So no wonder if KSB sees in him all the prejudices she had about him confirmed. To me, KSB showed a lot of patience in front of NS as he kept being rude towards anyone. To me, NS is so emotional and selfish that he doesn't realize that he is losing more and more the people who cared for him.
  • What also caught my attention are the parallels between the relationship between NS-YN and NS3-KSB. NS3 treated KSB like a human hence she came to like him. Because of her love, NS3 became more and more human and independent. We can say that KBS had a good impact on NS3. Now, NS3 reciprotates the feelings. From my point of view, we have the opposite with Ns. YN treats NS like her precious man, hence NS is able to do anything. To me, YN and NS have a toxic relationship, unlike NS3-KBS. She does everything he asks without asking. NS even told her father that YN would die for him, if he asked her to. And I do think that NS showed his cruelty and cunning by giving such a statement. This revealed to me that NS is well aware how far YN would go for him. I perceive YN as NS's robot. Sure, in order to please her (making her stay by his side), he had to ask KSB to quit her job. However, he is the one who gives the shot and leaves YN in the dark for many things. Then YN was rude and cold-hearted towards NS3, she used him as his toy for her own interest. YN was arrogant and violent towards KSB too. Notice that NS is acting the same way: he took the watch away (just like YN in the car), he treats NS3 like his "toy". He gives orders, he will even ask his mother for the manual control, just like YN forced his mother with the watch. We didn't see much Seo in the last episode because he has already decided how to destroy NS/NS3. He only needed to stir up jealousy and insecurities in NS in order to turn NS against NS3. 

To conclude, NS is rather stupid in my eyes as he has not realized that SJG has been manipulating him all along. SJG is far more dangerous than NS3 and his own grandfather. NS is not aware of it. I don't think that SJG will be behind the order NS3 hurting KSB. This will be NS's order so that JYH might threaten him to abandon him.

By the way, I still believe that the grandfather is not behind JW's disappearance. Seo manipulated the grandfather making him believe that he was just a minion and due to his order, something bad happened. The killer asked to Seo: why don't you do it like 20 years ago? I sense that NGH has been misinformed. 

I agree with most of your points except the one about mother-son relation. In my opinion Shin has every right to be angry, he spent years in hell longing for his mother and she made a robot because she missed him, even she and YH both acknowledge that it was a mistake (somehow). Anyway we have discussed it way too much now :lol:

YN and SB comparison is spot on. YN is obsessed , how can she take a person who just woke up from comma to his company? and NS remarks regarding YN that she would die if he ask her too were...horrible (I hope my bae come back to his senses though chances are 0)

I believe NS is rather really smart, his issue is he is way too emotional and thinks way too much thus letting his emotions control him and that's what grandpa disliked about jungwoo as well as he thinks people with emotions are weak, they think with emotions and not with heads and that's exactly what NS is doing and SJG will take advantage of this. I really hope he realize it soon that his real enemies are grandpa and JG. 

It's definitely NS behind manual mode 

Grandfather is definitely behind JW's disappearance 

YAS! IT'S JH MONOLOGUE

Flashback to when grandpa asked YH if he thought NS3 was better than NS and he said of course not. If he knew what grandpa did, how would he react .

NS heard NS3 and David talking and followed NS3/SB date.

Ns asks YH for a favor.

cut to movie theater . NS says to NS3 YH wants to see him , grabs his battery and tells YH to watch him in his car

YH tells NS this isn’t the way, but NS tells him act like he’s on his side if he doesn’t want to be misunderstood

SHin breaks all glasses with hand and threats grandpa to not hit YH becuase of his mistakes. Later they both sit laughing at each other's misery. 

Shin asks YH to come for help and leaves Shin 3 with him. YH is furious at Shin but Shin tells him about grandpa knowing about SHin 3

Mom slaps DAVID for betraying him. YH takes him outside. David is furious as well. Everyone in this drama is angry.

Shin asks if there's a way to break Shin 3. And asks for manual control saying she said she would do anything for him Yh at rescue.

He asks Shin to promise he won't hurt anyone with manual control mode and Shin says ok. Seriously YH? 

SB leaves, and calls NS3

NS pretends to be Ns3 saying their was a problem with the medcar.

YH asks NS why he’s being so immature, and he says good thing YH is an adult so he can do everything.

Laura confronts David about CEO Nam knowing about NS3

YH warns David not to let CEO Nam know about Shin knowing

I feel bad for NS3  he tried to take off manual watch but couldn't , acesss denied.

NS3 goes to YH and asks if YH knew about manual mode and if he truly believe Shin will keep his promise. YH says he trust Shin but Shin is watching this from his pad and smirks :tears: 

If only i could go and knock some sense in Shin. He heared So Bong comment something like Shin 3 is better or more reliable. He gets furious and turns on the mnaula mode and thus the choking scene. Shin 3 is shocked as well. He asks So Bong to go away. Yh tells SHin to meet as Shin lies it was an error

Stream lagging so I don't know what's happeing but Shin and Shin 3 are at rooftop.

Shin 3 AT ROOFTOP ABOUT TO JUMP DOWN SOMEONE PLEASE STOP HIMMMMM.

Shin told him to come back, He came back. I don't know what his intentions were but I'm glad for now he decided not to be the bad guy.

YN is at chairman's office to tell him something. 

I;m sorry my stream suck so I don't know what's going on

Shin asks mom if there’s a way to get rid of NS3

Mom says to stop pushing her, and he replies they’re not close enough to be joking around.

YH says of it makes him feel better to do what he wants but warns NS  not to hurt others

SB calls NS3  and he says he can’t go back tonight but turn around first before she hangs up.

They go to the gym and it shows that NS turned NS3 into his plaything

NS3  tried taking it off but he’s not allowed to 

JYH is at the pool again thinking about what happened

NS3 comes and tells him he can’t move according to how he wants and asks YH why NS is doing that. And what if he hurts someone

YH says he won’t because he promised and he believes in NS.

NS is watching the whole thing on a tablet.

Yena asks if doing this is really okay and he said he is doing

SB goes to the office to see NS3 and the elevator incident happens. Seo’s lackey sees them when the door opens. They both run out and and NS3 tells SB to stay away.

At the ajit, Mom tells David to get out and David tells her that he is different from the CEO and he will protect NS3 to the end

Ns3 asks YH for a favor to meet NS.

Yena says she has some business and NS goes on his way. She calls someone and asks If CEO is there

NS and NS3 They meet on the roof. NS3 asks what he must do for NS to stop. NS says to disappear.

NS3 goes to the edge of the roof and said rather than hurting people he’d rather disappear (end)

Archived