[Drama 2017] Forest of Secrets / Stranger 비밀의숲 - Baeksang 2018 Daesang Award /Best Actor / Best Writer

larus

Am I missing something here? I know I only started this drama 2 weeks ago. And have enjoyed watching it. And the whole investigative part. But has this soompi thread always revolved around OTP shipping? I don't see any obvious love line starting. Or even acting as a motivator for botb SM and YJ's actions. I am trying to work out whether to read every post. To see if there any insights into a scene or a clue to where this plot is going. But there seems to be more focus on whether each interaction demonstrates tender feelings about each other. I thought we are watching a conspiracy drama.

For me one of my ongoing distraction has been wondering how accurate this drama is. Factual parts vs it being improbable coincidental etc like in a Kdrama.  That's because I have been reading open cases via the Korean court website. And now how many thousands of cases actually make it to court. And I was looking at the pile of paperwork at the Prosecutors  offices. Here I was admiring all the judges work ethics and then I started watching a show where the whole system is so corrupted. And the senior prosecutors focusing only on one case. Where a judge has a few hundred court hearings a month. The reality vs drama has been difficult for me. Watching the Western District office has been interesting as they keep traipsing and naming places I am familiar with. I am usually not as familiar with Seoul as it is so big. But have been traipsing up and down the Western side ( apparently where we went ) 4× in the last 1 year and a bit. 

Pity the prosecutors investigative officers haven't been used a lot. I was getting this Level 7 laugh out of seeing all the various courts enforcement officers being used ( this is real life not drama ones ) and then seeing the passive officers here in this drama.

There is  a drop down court list in the court website. I know at least 11000+ cases went through the system last year. I am wondering now whether it is for one court vs individual courts. Then the prosecutors offices files. I know Seoul is big. But er- there's a lot of legal going on with that many files and actual real cases. And Seoul is always potrayed as so nice and Kpoppy and clean. Snort.

I keep chanting to myself as I watch Seo and Lee.... there are hard working legal professionals in South Korea. Yes there is. Guess that is why I enjoy this drama. It is so believable. They make accepting favours ( which is part of the culture ) so believable and probable. And connections always matters in Korea. And all the old looking police officers vs the thousands of fresh faced national service policeman you see when there are demonstrations in Seoul. About the only police I take seriously are detectives... here where I live. And the plains clothes ones you see outside the American embassy when you walk pass King Sejong's statue. Not the glamorous police you see in Kdramas.

I am not commenting on the plot here because everyone is so tied up to each other. However I am curious how CP Lee's wife is. Or how cruel and manipulative she is. And how far she went.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Tee- Sama said:

OMG, I already want to read this article!!!

Aww sorry to disappoint you @Tee- Sama but they didn't actually publish a full article on FOS. However your post gave me an idea and I sent them an email requesting them to do an article on FOS, Jo Seung Woo and Bae Doona :D If they do publish one, I'll be sure to put it up here. For now let's enjoy the awesomeness that is ep 9 :D

panda@bkchild smileysWelcome to forum soompi and this thread!! cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532The more we are, the better it is!cute rabbitcheerleader pink mouse

@ddeokbokkii Now, I know the full name of Department Chief, division three  Kang Won Chul.

I really loved this episode. HSM was right to refuse to eat any longer as soon as LYB appeared because it would have looked like a bribe. Moreover, LCJ had just resigned, hence he was no longer their superior and colleague. It seems that HSM chose his coworkers because he saw them as the ones with less secrets. Yet, he didn't trust them entirely however he waited for the occasion to know if they could be trusted or not. Yoon Seo Won has a huge interest to fight against corruption, his child died due to a DUI, he has a good reason to be against corruption. As for LCJ's wife, I have the impression that she controls more than she looks like. I am glad that HYJ was quite direct all the time. 

I really loved the conversation between HYJ and HSM at the end: it really showed how much he trusts her. He doesn't investigate her behind her back. He doesn't need to. This man is smart and clever, always two steps ahead of the others. This was really telling, when he made sure that SDJ would see YES's mother at the prosecution office because he knew that this would push SDJ to do something. The woman had seen the guy delivering the money and SDJ realises that HSM might find the accomplice.

4 hours ago, Tee- Sama said:

She wasn't annoyed with Eun Soo. She was pissed off because Shi Mok kept important information from her.

@Tee- Sama    I am wondering,  HYJ was asked by her police bosses to report to them what Shi Mok is doing. Has she caught on that they are passing that info along to people who are working against the investigation? I am wondering because now that Min-Ah has woken - it is top secret, so will she tell her bosses? She is the only one SM trusts.  

This was a great episode.  That messed up dinner party!  With LYJ making empty social statements about marriage and children.   Both she and her father flattering SM on is good looks (of all people in the world, he could care less).  

And the whole dinner party jeopardized the appearance of fairness and objectivity of the team. It was a kind of 'you are one of us now, so play ball and plenty of parties to come and I'll fix you up with society rich (pretty) women if you play along. Yuck, no wonder SM cut it short (he was also blindsided by LCJ who made it appear he was just having dinner alone with him and in the meantime he had the whole group there - to finesse a set up, and also meet the father in law creepy LYB.  Then there was LYB's   discussion about his handshake with MS, he didn't grasp and pull - he's not playing ball, he's scramming out of there with his team.  

I love this drama.  It is intense, so clever.  it is wonderful because you never know what is happening next  Loved it when SDJ threw himself down the stairs!  He is one slippery character, and now that he is desperate, he will do something crazy I am sure. He says he knows something that LCJ did not tell LYB so he is sure to use it.

@ck1Oz You should definitely read through the thread!  There are just as many posts about the "whodunit" aspect of the show as there are about potential romance between the characters. 

I can't say that I could speculate with any degree of accuracy about the realism of this show. Because I am not an SK citizen, I think it would almost be rude in a way for me to do so.  However, I would definitely love to "hear" the perspective of someone more familiar. :) 

15 hours ago, ddeokbokkii said:

Thank you everyone for all the recaps.

Moving the post counts to new page. Easier for everyone to keep track.

Main suspect list:

Eun-Soo                           Prosecutor                           @maddymappo@poloska@Tee- Sama, @meechuttso

Kim Jung-Bon                  SM childhood friend             @UnniSarah, @kiklaminHo@ross27, @lexicon  

Young Il-Jae                     Eun-Soo father                    @annagriss8, @jongski

Lee Yeon-Jae                   Chief Lee's wife                   @nona88, @ddeokbokkii@Runa Chatterjee

Lee Chang-Joon              Chief Lee himself                 @st4rdust, @DreamCatcher2011

Section Chief Kang          Kang Won Chul                     @bebebisous33

Kim Woo-Kyun                Police Chief Kim                    @penelop3, @Nymeria289

Lee Yoon-Beom              Chief Lee father-in-law           @yonaomi123

If you have not done so, please tell us who your main suspect is, thanks.

Don't worry, you can change your choice anytime. I understand that we still have the second half of this series to watch, and there's still a lot of thing can happen before the end of this show. My main purpose of this list is to see which character attract the audience the most as the main suspect. The more people participate the better result we will end up with.

@bkchildI quoted  in the last suspect list, posted by @ddeokbokkiibut it will be revised. This is just for fun, can always change your chief suspect.

after watching ep 9 with sub 

i think LEE leaving is just part of the game , he , his wife and his father in law don't seem to mind his doing even after they make so much work to give him that position and even the father in law who say about the team work " they on the right way " that creepy --- it look like the team and SM think they Investigation them but the true that LEE or his father in law or both of them are controling them to get the result they want

it make me also remember that LEE said before that the chief position wasn't what he want and then his father asked him " so did you decide what you aiming to " and he answer yes

so here i am thinking it was all part of LEE plan from the start , the full events is just part of game LEE playing to get something i don't know if he really want to  let true out,  but he maybe also wan't this game to destroy all his past dirty works and enemies and back in a stronger position and even more high then the position he quiet !!!!!!

i wanted to think he just want to stop the evil inside him and in that place but his words with ES father show that he have other plan where to go next even ES father who should blame him  and hate him he called him " fool to leave after all that " but he was sure that he have more better waiting for him , 

the all talk with ES father say a lot , they all hidden secerts , ES father isn't innocent he had some dirty sceret with LEE and his  father in law and maybe they frame him for taken money but before that they were togther in some big secret or at least he know one on LEE and his father in law and making that "bribe case " was like warning to ES father to not think to open his mouth and he understand that and that why he said  to LEE  that he will keep he will not talk but LEE has to keep the promise to not hurt ES and his wife and that was the deal that they made years ago and ES  don't know about it 

and LEE wife , she scary and creepy i really can see in her eyes a a lot of control , Possession, crazy and looking down at everyone , she in the  list for sure i don't know if she part of all the crimes - but for sure somone like her will be behind what happen to that girl , since someone like her will never accept that her husband cheating on her she have so much pride and possession feeling to let that happen 

so yeh there no way this  all was the doing of one person it more like so many playing in this game everybody has part of it and everyone trying to control the result so they will be winning no matter what other's doing , so it like so many people adding more crimes to this big story that we think that just one person controling it - sorry this drama make me going out of my mind i just  stoped trusting everyone in it 

47 minutes ago, nona88 said:

so yeh there no way this  all was the doing of one person it more like so many playing in this game everybody has part of it and everyone trying to control the result so they will be winning no matter what other's doing , so it like so many people adding more crimes to this big story that we think that just one person controling it - sorry this drama make me going out of my mind i just  stoped trusting everyone in it 

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up like Agatha Christie's, "Murder on the Orient Express" where all 13 suspects had a hand in the murder.

But the culprit could also be a character that has yet to be introduced.

Also I'm loving prosecutor Yoon. There's something about his quiet unassuming demeanor and strait-laced appearance that's really soothing. He's like SM without the medical condition and the trust issues.

6 hours ago, Runa Chatterjee said:

@titania1000 HYJ's line of 'I like pretty girls too' actually made my smile pretty wide because she was previously in Sense 8 which was known for its queer and non normative relationships. I don't know if they were hinting at that, but at the very least, it's made clear that HYJ isn't the kind of person who thinks of other women 'automatically' as their enemy (which Chief Lee's wife seems to be) and I personally adored that. 

I especially love the line that she said "Why would they treat me differently?" Those two guys looking over together are gold hahahahaha

6 hours ago, Runa Chatterjee said:

Also the tvN youtube channel just shared this and I think its the sweetest video!

Thanks sooooo much chinguuu!!! :heart: I LOVE THIS OST MV hahahahah

Isn't it funny that if we look at it, we got all the narrative arcs of a typical Kdrama romance, but its all muted or dialed back like 'real life' hahahaha

We got a chase meet-cute - afterwhich he stole her 'prey' and she called him a jerk

Then we got bickering where she scolded him how he treated the old lady

We see some life changing moments where someone is having a breakthrough in medical science where he can't stop himself smiling these days... :D

Now there is the 'sweater misunderstanding' kekekekekeke

So if we have time during case investigations, hand holding, a warm hug should be on track. ( At this point I am not going to torture myself hoping for a kiss ) 
I was wrong that he will have more time with her as office gf, now they barely have time to talk to each other *face palms* But at least he just glance over and there she is heeheeee...

@ddeokbokkii I am revising my list now. Like so many other fans here who guessed... it seems like the culprit is indeed more than one person. 

For me it is still dear Mr LCJ + Mr Yoon.... 

After Ep9 Mr Yoon is now clear of being ES's ex ( hahahahahah it was a fun guess for me ) and now that he actually could have a very real motive to kill PMS - his child had died a few years ago. And PMS got off a DUI hit and run due to lack of evidence.
It was even added that Mr Yoon took it very hard and stopped working for some time. That sounds like someone LCJ can recruit for his purposes. Add that to a throwaway line which informs us that Mr Yoon used to be a Marine ( special forces? ) he will have the right physical training to know how to kill another human, or in Ga Yeon's case, not make her stabbing fatal. I was wondering how the killer managed it, if he was not a doctor or someone familiar with human vital organ placements.

Kim Jung Bon is still creepy as ever, and I cannot decide if we are going to hold his face against him. LOL if he was indeed also part of the hidden 'Avengers' team, then his beef will be with Hanjoo group.

Mr Lee had those computer folders of all these people. And I feel he is definitely capable of being the mastermind who set all these in motion. The way he helped Si Mok with his tie, was both scarily paternal, and confusing as hell because part of our brain is going " What on earth is he doing??! Is this signifying that he wants to strangle him or its supposed to be very high honour?? "

To me it was like he was preparing his son/warrior for battle hahahah or he was only polishing his real 'spear'?
I have never seen a Korean man adjust the tie of another Korean man EVER. Let alone an elder man who is more senior in position.Culture-wise is it supposed to be an honour or some scary warning? Does anyone happen to know? 

Hi chingus! Been a silent reader for a while, but really enjoy your comments here, especially seeing familiar faces here :blush:

Seems like my comment will be off the trend a bit, I wouldn't state any suspect name here ( but this game is so funnnnn, please continue it). It's regarding a tiny scene in ep 9, from this youtube link, when the team eat bread together in the office: 

Can anybody confirm this scene with me? It is true or it is just my shipper instinct (their relationship look more like "bromance" now haha, since they are really good dude for each other, and I'm totally happy with that, but I will open for all opportunities, including a light hint of affection between these 2 ) ? I feel like Yeo Jin are somehow a bit angry with shi Mok, but she's really can't help mothering him? In 2:56, did she secretly motioned to SM, pointed out there something in his lip? He understand the sign so he quickly and awkwardly wipe it down? Did they? Then YJ turn the cold shoulder toward SM again, leave him confused for the rest of the convo. Well done YJ :D

1 hour ago, st4rdust said:

After Ep9 Mr Yoon is now clear of being ES's ex ( hahahahahah it was a fun guess for me ) and now that he actually could have a very real motive to kill PMS - his child had died a few years ago. And PMS got off a DUI hit and run due to lack of evidence.
It was even added that Mr Yoon took it very hard and stopped working for some time. That sounds like someone LCJ can recruit for his purposes. Add that to a throwaway line which informs us that Mr Yoon used to be a Marine ( special forces? ) he will have the right physical training to know how to kill another human, or in Ga Yeon's case, not make her stabbing fatal. I was wondering how the killer managed it, if he was not a doctor or someone familiar with human vital organ placements.

@st4rdust... I was thinking the same thing about MR Yoon but his son died 2 years ago from car accident but the DUI case was 4 years ago. Remmember LCJ said it all began with CEO Parks DUI case. Closing the case because of lack of evidence. I doubt Mr Yoon would  ever help out the man who let his son's case free. Another thing the son was on a field trip and the DUI case never said the victim died but was seriously injured.

WOW WOW..... Another amazing episode, I really believe that Shi Mok is brilliant even LYB can see that. LCJ is trying to recruit SHi Mok but will have a really hard time doing it. Even his wife is trying to butter him up. I think LCJ wants to be The Public Prosecutor General job as his next title. Before he takes the office , he needs to get rid of all the corrupted prosecutors so he can begin anew. 

I love love how :heart:  Shi Mok gathered all the people he needed to keep close to and see what they are doing except for HJ. In today's epidose I swear Shi Mok was being coy with HJ. LOL LOL and it was kinda cute to see this side of him.cheer2-onion-head-emoticon.gif  cheer2-onion-head-emoticon.gifI wished they had did a close up. In that shop he looked boyish. Two of the people he suspected did their job welll and I am kinda sad that maybe Jang Gun isn't as honest as he appears to be. I think he is feeding info to his chief at the police station because he was trying to evesdrop on the conversation about Kyang-Wan. But at least we ow know he does have a crush on YJ and he has a son.  

I agree with @nona88 that LYB, LCJ and  LYJ are working together. It made so depressed1-onion-head-emoticon.gifdepressed1-onion-head-emoticon.gif to see all Shi Mok's enemies working together to either hurt him or change his life for the better. 

I wonder why everyone was so concerned that Shi Mok wasn't married yet. what-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gifwhat-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif I thought they wanted to ruined his career but now it looks like they want to recruit him for his brilliance. confused-onion-head-emoticon.gif  LYB showed up just to meet Shi Mok face to face and shake his hands. LJC and LYJ both planned to invite the whole team for a meal just she can see if the team were a threat. I think LYJ found an enemy with Yeo Jin  and LYB with Shi Mok.  Everthing that happened to made me want to change my mind on my suspects list but chose to wait until I see tomorrows episode. I would feel so much better to have all my ducks in a row. 

OMO OMO!!!! Seo Dong Jae is so vile , vile , vile  He is truly disgusting . WHat a snitch ??? He told Mr Yoo that Section CHief Kang took bribess. I loved the way he sent to message to SDJ by using the exacts words Shi Mok told him to say. Let me tell guys it gave me chills just seeing him say those words. He also betrayed L CJ so he can save himself but LYB is going to use him well and then discard him. LYB will make Seo Dong-Jae persecute himself where ther won't be chance for him to snitch on the rest of corruptors. LOL LOL  teehee-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gifteehee-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

Very interesting episode where the writer gives us a little more insight into the characters personal lives.  

The strain of sitting in a madam Lee COMMANDED dinner with the overlying energy seemingly smacking of set-up for the possibility of accepting bribes or favors from higher ups.  Madam Lee grilling members of the team while faining civility was disturbing to say the least.

Yeojin was straight forward in her replies to the madam.  The madam saying to Shimok that she would introduce him to pretty potential marriage partners and then turning to Yeojin and asking her pointedly if that was ok with her.  Yeojin replying, with a quizzical expression, that she too likes pretty ladies...meaning that she has no problem with women and their looks.  Further, stating to the madam that only women who don't get along or be friends with other women would think like that.  Score for Yeojin....she will not tolerate injustice, prejudice or bigotry on any level and will not be manipulated by someone attempting to incite petty jealousy.  Yeojin is the best thing going and the shinning light in this drama.  

Madam Lee pronounces to her husband after everyone left the dinner that now she knows that the team is essentially weak and worthless..paraphrasing here.   She will eat those words!

Guilty parties:  I'm beginning to suspect the ALL the obvious parties have some part in the crimes that have gone on,  Not that they know necessarily of one another's guilt.  

I don't detect any chemistry in the Eunsoo/ Shimok scenes in today's episode.  Eunsoo came to ask Shimok if she could be on the team and was coldly turned down especially because of her desire to seek revenge.  This only highlights to Shimok that Eunsoo will not be a trustworthy member who will flawlessly and without prejudice seek the truth.   Too many hidden agendas in this woman's life.  Telling was the fact that the borrowed sweater was placed on his back as he slept but fell to the floor effortlessly and was not picked up by him.  (if the sweater is a metaphor).  It was picked up by another team member later and Shimok saw that there was a bag on the floor and he bent down to inspect and found a new sweater had been purchased.  (In sweater metaphor does this mean she wants to have control over him with her own ideas)?

Definition of Chemistry:  It is a feeling of romantic spark, sexual energy, obvious attraction and the feeling you belong next to the one you fall in love with.  Butterflies in the stomach, nervous energy, blushing, passion and other positive feelings we may experience towards a 'special someone.'

I don't see Shimok displaying any of the chemical reactions listed above toward Eunsoo and I'm not sure his mind can be on more than one thing since he is now in the fight for his career being made chief inspector of this whole mess.  

Interesting episode, people are becoming more agitated regardless of whoever killed CEO Park. I think CEO Park's death was merely a tool to shake things up. Same for the girl, I don't think it was accident that she survived. It was planned by whoever is controlling the whole scenario from far. Somebody wants revenge and badly but I am writing off Eun Soo for now. Her scene with Shi Mok was short but for the first time, it felt sincere from both ends. She desperately wants to clear her father's name and Shi Mok has the right to keep her biased outlook out of his team and part of it feels like he is keeping his words to her father. Having said that, I am not sure his current team excluding Yeo Jin is all that trustworthy either, the difference maybe Eun Soo is out in the open compared to them. 

20 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@st4rdust... I was thinking the same thing about MR Yoon but his son died 2 years ago from car accident but the DUI case was 4 years ago. Remmember LCJ said it all began with CEO Parks DUI case. Closing the case because of lack of evidence. I doubt Mr Yoon would  ever help out the man who let his son's case free. Another thing the son was on a field trip and the DUI case never said the victim died but was seriously injured.

ooooh i need to rewatch... lol i keep jumping to conclusions!! still that Marines statement was really strange to suddenly mention right? 

Archived