[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, naritul said:

Hello!!!!

Happy 300th pages everyone!

this thread is moving sooooo fast...

4,5 days to go!!!!

@naritul  Hi! Thank you for the countdown, it's fuelling my unhealthy obsession with this drama.tumblr_lycbw0ZvH51r67yq3.gifCr: owner

Also. It seems that we have a senior citizen member here. Welcome, @packmule3. I apologize for my color theories, speculations, etc if they offend you (or at least of they are not to your taste... :sweatingbullets:  I'm just a 30-something mom with an incorrigibly absurd mind). 

Edited by selenette
Grammar
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, unicornism said:

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and hoping somebody can help me figure this out! I really like the song at the end of Episode 5 but I cant seem to find any traces of the artist or song. Does anyone know who sings it?

Sam Kim - Who Are You

Here's him with Crush of OST4

Spoiler

• Like 11

7 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@heroonthebeach hi, excited to meet u here.:wub: believed your blog should be graced by goblin. which character are you besotted in? this is a unique dramas, that has few ship sailing, KS/ET, or WS/Sunny or the bromance KS/WS. and all 3 ships can sail side by side harmoniously. nice.

@maryofbethany actually my favourite pairing right now is the bromance KS/WS - they truly have chemistry and are so funny together yet it's touching to see Reaper's growing care for Goblin! Although I appreciate all the main characters' individual stories and circumstances, I am not fully absorbed into their romances as yet... 

• Like 7

On 12/18/2016 at 11:39 AM, Lyna said:

I find it interesting (in a funny sense since netizen already make me laugh at the things they come up with or do) to cast this as a pedophile show but show less argument or complain like crazy when there is young actress under the age 18 acting with actor 10 years or more their age.

It does make me wonder if their complaint is really the age thing or that they way KGE portray the character in that sometime she does seem like a high schooler, sometime it feel like she was acting as a 12 year (which I seen some has voice out)

*sigh* just can never please netizen overall. 

Anywho based on the preview of the accident, I'm hoping there won't be any amnesia card being played in this drama. You been good to me, drama. Please don't play the amnesia card, please. My gut just hit a irking feeling from the preview and how Shin future sightseeing of her without him as though he no longer exist - it just make the future premonition of Shin seem logic cause if she forget him, then he doesn't exist in her mind. Please don't do it.

I did have a hunch it would be to soon for her to pull the story. To have the reaper living with him and Sunny in this lifetime must mean that their fate must intertwine once more and undo the mistakes of the past first. I feel like the God is punishing Shin for something more than just slaying people (as he was protecting his country). There must be more to his punishment as it is to reaper and he won't be freed by his punishment until he undo the mistakes of the past. To have 3 that are tie to the past with 2 being the reincarnation means there is something more at hand particularly with the Granny bring them all together.

@Lyna allow me to re-cooked this very 'burnt' porridge... the topic and MYSTERY "why keep talking about Age-gap"?
as if this 'Age-gap' problem is something that is handled very badly (above all other recent dramas) by Goblin, that netizens have to cherry-pick Goblin to rant against Age-gap, weeks after weeks. when many other dramas has done "age-gap' romances since long loooooooong ago.....

sites below at spoiler, showing dramas that touches on Age-gap, with Male lead at least more than 10 yrs older than the Female Leads:

what drama ever touches on Male lead older than Female leads at least about 14 or more?
1) Marriage Contract, (Lee Jeo Jin and Uee)
2) Beethoven Virus: (Kim Myung Min and Lee JiAh)
3) The Spring Days of my Life (Kang Woo Sun and Soo Young)
4) the Prime Minister and I (Lee Bum Soo, and Yoona)
5) When a Man Loves a Woman (Song Seung Hun and Shin Se Kyung)
6) Cinderella Man (Kwon Sang-woo and Yoona)
7) Painter of the Wind (Park ShinYang and Moon GeunYoung)
8) the King of Drama (Kim MyungMin and Jung Ryeo Won).

Noona romances with women aged gap problem, means female lead older than male:
1) Secret Love Affair (Kim Hee Ae, and Yoo Ah In)
2) I Do, I Do (Kim Suna and Lee Jangwoo)
3) Witch Romance (Uhm Jung Hwa and Park Seo joon)
4) Flower Boy Ramen Shop (Lee ChungAh and Jung Ilwoo)

so, what's the problem with Goblin, when our 900yrs old, looks MORE pretty (or as pretty) than any of the Male leads at the above 9 ahjusshi romance dramas). if we factor in his character Kim shin's 'actual' age, then no girls on this whole wide world is fix to be his bride. LOL> thank God soompi fans are very mature, and we don't have such problems here.
well, if we are talking about age-gap is worsen when she is a high-school kid? so the problem is "high school-gal"? than why do we all swoon over Reply-series, and Princess Hours series, Dream-High series? ultimately its not really about High-school-lead problem or age-gap, i can only say, out of that portion that oppose the pairing, some (not all) of which is not targeting Ji Euntak, but the very awesome Kim GoEun herself. Poor KGE. like i said, its common practice nowadays in dramaland, there's always a portion of fans that will just pick on the female leads for big small issues all kind of trivial issues, (i experienced defending Female leads of 'Monster Monster', "Remember War of the Son", "W-Two world".... etc.  its just Kim Goeun (Ji EunTak) turn now.

i guess, this age-gap stuff will pop up until the show portray KGE as a working young adult... then it will be other issues with netizens, eg. 'no chemistry' is another stale rantings against female leads.

@heroonthebeach haha. not hard to discover, my fav pairing is always goblin and his bride. well, i highly believed all 3 pairings can exist very well side by side in this dramas. they (KS/WS or KS/ET or WS/Sunny) infact compliment each other, and bring out each other's best, when one pair fall apart, the others lend their shoulders to cry.. sweet!

• Like 17

4 hours ago, sally_b said:

Sometimes, while reading comments, I wonder if I'm the only viewer, willing to suspend disbelief while watching a fantasy drama.

...frankly, the best visually produced Kdrama I've watched this year ~  also the most witty and poignant.

Out of all the dramas aired in the past 12 months, I managed to watch only 2 to the entire end. (and this is from someone who watched ALL 51 episodes of Empress Ki in 2014) Even if it's not a GREAT drama, if something about it catches my heart, I give it a go. 

So I'm exceedingly pleased that there is ONE drama that I can happily watch (and anticipate through the year's end) in spite of flaws, and/or "I wish the story would go this direction, instead of that".

Simple enjoyment. Laughs!! tears...characters that make me want to know more about their journey. 

I trust, in advance, that the writer will give this Goblin peace...and I'm open to how that comes about. <3

Hehe @sally_b let me shake virtual hands with you. For this drama I find myself simply enjoying it too much to be bothered with nitpicking. I am curious to know the Goryeo past while seeing how all their interactions unfold in the present timeline. The camerawork is lovely and honestly IMO all of the characters have been really well cast. The story so far has been really engaging and I can feel all the emotions that our main characters are feeling at any given point in time. I for one have not been bored as yet and I am hoping KES keeps us as engaged. Most of all I am so very happy seeing Gong Yoo in a good drama after so long. I have never been a fan of Lee Dong Wook but I am so glad I get to see such a brilliant side of him over here. One more thing I must say- its so unusual to have two bonafide lead actors being cast to share screen space together without a potential love triangle and knocking the bromance out of the park....its the most refreshing thing ever! 

• Like 10

I see many comments of people who are nitpicking particularly on this show and trying to find absurd faults just to justify their hate. I have to say I'm not at all bothered by the age difference. The way I see it, it's not much. She's apparently 19 (almost 20), right? True, she is young and acting accordingly to it but I firmly believe she's a grown up lady who's aware of her desires and actions.

Also, some say the main couple have no chemistry because she's too childish (which I disagree, BTW) but at the same time they point on strong chemistry between Goblin and Angel of Death, which are by far more childish than her. Not that I complain, because I love them. I just don't understand their logic. Chemistry is not just based on hugs or kisses, it can be based on interactions or deep emotional connection, like in this drama. The way they look at each other, makes my heart beat faster. To me, that is strong chemistry.

I wouldn't change a thing about this drama, I love it just as it is.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, vynenitsuga said:

I check this thread like 10 times in hour. I stop the subscribe to the email bcz it will disturb my work time, but, when I stop it, I go to this thread more often.

what kind of disease is this?

somebody know it? or somebody already infected? hahahaha

Same here! Haha.

I have to control this 'checking- Soompi- and- other- SNS- sites' because I have lots of things to do. :sweat_smile:

• Like 9

The more apt compare re age gap would be Sweet 18 (2004), a love story between an 18-year-old high school student who weds a 28-year-old prosecutor. 

One thing not clear to me is this: If she is an aberration, why did she become the Goblin's bride and not a bride of the Goblin? Would another bride exist if KS chose to save another soul under similar circumstances? The existence of the bride is already given; it's part of KS's punishment given by God. "Only the goblin's bride shall remove the sword." So why is she considered as if she's not part of the universal order and thus whose soul must be reaped ASAP? Yes, yes, because KS chose to meddle with fate. She should have been dead ages ago had it not for that can of beer. But she is his fate, well for now. By letting her live, he's bound to lift the curse. If she dies before she removes the sword, who then becomes the goblin's bride? 

Perhaps me. 

vol.gif

• Like 9

Some thoughts on ep 5&6...

1.Love that song at the op scene when ET ran to the Goblin.

2. Cannot really blame ET. The Goblin keep getting hot and cold to her. Tsundere at this point.

3. Actually need more of Grim Reaper-Sunny moment, including Sunny-ET. Sunny is nonchalantly caring for ET, which is cute.

4. Even the Goblin doesnt rly understand the rules on how the Bride works in detail. Seriously need the details (certainly will be revealed in later eps)

• Like 6

The age difference.

1) Concerns about the fictional characters:

In truth the 920 years difference is a cause for pause. I wonder if their taste in music, books, or art will match.  When they have time alone will the conversation falter?

When Goblin starts talking about his good friend Billy Shakespeare will ET get bored hearing about the good old days when there was no product placements and actors had to provide their own clothes. 

2) Real concerns about real people in the real world, for real:

In the real world set and rehearsal halls can be unsafe for your female actors if the set isn't kept professional and free of predatory people from all divisions. Disgusting allegation of criminal behavior in the Chicago theatre scene erupted a few months back. 

3) Producers trying to get away with the pervy visuals, but stating everything is on the up and up.

The difference between what's said and what's shown can cause cognitive dissonance. In mangas they like to say both members of the OTP are of age but they'll draw one character like a child and the other like an adult and then whole thing looks distasteful.

4) This Show:
People have said ET acts childish. She isn't a child, so she does not act childish all the time.  Acting childish is not necessary a marker of age.  I know people of all ages that have their childish moments.  And one of those people might be the Goblin.  --not that i've met him.  I'm not delusional.  I've only seen him on the computer screen

Goblin has all the gravitas of his age and former office when he is in control. However when his relationship with ET kicks in he is at most a 13 year old boy with a major crush.  When ET act's childish she does not go as young as Goblin does.  

It is like Goblin is a full on kid in this time period. Or maybe in the 938 years he's been alive he never had an adolescence, and when he's not thinking of dying he is in full-blown puberty.

• Like 11

On 12/18/2016 at 10:05 AM, autumna said:

Sunny having customers all of a sudden is interesting, does this have something to do with ET or Grim or both? Why when she meets them she starts getting customers?

Also intrigued about people who think Sunny is the king and grim the queen would be a unexpected twist but at the moment still not convinced why would the queen be a grim reaper and not the king? Didn't they say becoming a grim reaper is punishment?

Also with the bromance going well I feel like the writer will have to throw a little drama there. Can you imagine Shin's reaction finding out the person he has been interacting with, friendly with is the king the person he has hated and wanted revenge on?

@bold

I had the exact same thoughts. Even if we believe that GR is the reincarnation of Queen indeed, what sin would she have done to become a reaper? Goblin said something like I am too late to save you and I have yet to find people whom I owe a debt, so what if it's not King who was betraying KS's trust but Queen all this time? It would be an interesting twist. Maybe, both Queen and King were not loyal to KS..:blink:

• Like 7

What are you all doing right now? I am just doing what I'am usually doing since Dec 2. Refreshing Soompi every 10 minutes (or less), listening Crush - Beautiful...And I am doing all this while working overtime. Yes, I am still at office. Goblin madness is getting me whole. I can't escape, I won't escape, I don't wanna escape from this madness. 

What have this series done to us? If this is punishment, don't you think weekend is enough? Why do you have to take my weekday too, Goblin, why?? I have a life!! But it seems like my life recently just about Goblin. And Goblin. And Goblin....

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, puuuumash said:

Same here! Haha.

I have to control this 'checking- Soompi- and- other- SNS- sites' because I have lots of things to do. :sweat_smile:

Haha dahaengida~~~ 

But really it's a really hard to not peek to this thread. Bcz of sugar daddy Gongyoo and Dongwook ahjussi. No wonder. My fangirling mode really on

@chibimidori hahahaha I dun want to cured as well. Hahahaha like sweet pain.

@triplem hahahaha. It's a Sweet problem actually. Hihi

• Like 7

I bet the accident is on ep 8 at the end. Just like pulling the sword scene.

Spoiler

I am really sorry for Crush. The production/whoever responsible is to be blamed. He is a great singer but I am personally want the original singer version of Beautiful. Their voices are similar but the difference is there. They started using Crush's version on ep 5 and I can't say really like it when it has been my fave song so far.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

i will loved OPTION 4 at any time (as long as it is done after her graduation, else silly netizens go bashing ET again.) and because it is TvN (remembered TvN is the very genus that can make JiChangwook look 'naked' fighting hunks at sauna?!), i have 'great faith' the production dare to take the "great leap of faith' into Option4 in classy way if the script allowed without making it cheapo, and without crossing the 'high-school romancing' taboo. (first thing first, ET beta graduate first. am very protective of both KGE and JET.) anyway, Gongyoo is a great kisser!
OPTION4_The Best cption for our Poetry Couple !!!

If you check my instagram, I was dedicated the content mostly for W (while it airing). Agree with you. I  kinda put my expectation high on that option4 since this drama on tvN. This tv station even has an award for good kisser (1st award goes to Seo In Guk). LOL. Mianhe for widen the topic. But, let's cheer PDnim to make that option4 happen. Yay!!! If you read this thread, please PDnim, granted uri Dokkaebi and his bride more than 3 kisses that elevated the level each time. We will be very thankfull.:wub:

• Like 8