[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

13 minutes ago, staygold said:

Some kind soul has taken the trouble to translate KS's diary entry!! Sending virtual hugs to this person!

http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/12/the-lonely-shining-goblin-episode-6/comment-page-2/#comments

60.1.1 kumoiwa December 18th, 2016 at 8:01 AM

I think Shin sort of narrated that entry in episode 5, but here goes (omg whoever wrote it has a very nice messy style but not good for transcription and I’m not 100% sure I got all the characters right. I referred to both Shin’s original diary entry and Eun-tak’s hand-copy of it just to make sure I wasn’t missing out on anything):

埋葬 隨著離于高麗之童稚 孫子之孫子
I have buried the grandson of the grandson of the young boy who left Goryeo with me

生面異邦之不老可聞凶凶 又離不知何處時矣
The notion of being immortal in a foreign land is fraught with danger. Yet again I do not know where I will be.

吾死此生 吾思此生以賞而終局
When I die in this life, I think of it as ending with a reward.

吾之生罰也 何者之事不忘
But my life is a punishment. I do not forget anything and everything.

神仍不聽
And yet God does not hear me.

Can we send this ASAP to Euntak? As she hasn't been able to understand what it was about. Hahaha xD. Thank you for sharing! This thread is such a gems!!

• Like 20

Just follow in facebook and ig...2 words are famous and become ringtones in this week..Tree and playstore:w00t:

I just like others agree GY make he sound English so clear and sexy voice.Can I pray we hope hear more english words from GY again?:wub:

• Like 12

This drama has done an excellent job of portraying the characters of ET and KS and their relationship within the bounds of a semi platonic correspondence between a guardian and the ward with an undertone of a budding romance looming in the horizon. With this approach, It has managed to showcase the relationship between a high schooler and an adult, which is a very tricky subject to broach, in a healthy, positive way. What is more astounding is that this drama still manages to promote the undeniable chemistry between ET and KS; the dynamism in their relationship with regards to a possible romance down the line is expertly cultivated in each and every scene while being always counterbalanced by an overarching sense of platonicity. This is a drama that clearly knows what it is doing. Moreover, every story has a beginning, middle and end. What we are dealing with here is just the beginning of the story so if you want to be critical, isn't it better to do so at the end? Yes the story is about an underage heroine at the beginning but the drama has handled it expertly so far. For what it's worth, i always felt that the naysaying voice were from people with too much time on their hands, a classic case of making a mountain out a molehill. Anyways, those were my two cents on the "issue", hopefully that will be the last of it.

• Like 22

Does anyone else wonder how KS is going to recognize who the reincarnation of the Queen and King is?. He once said that just once in a while people reincarnate with the same faces. That must mean that when they don't he can't recognize them, especially since he was asking GR to tell him if Bobby (the singer) was the reincarnated King.

So how's he going to be able to identify who's who between Sunny and the GR? Like, will something happen when all three of them are in the same place together? Will their souls recognize each other even if their bodies don't or something along those lines? Sounds like an encounter the Red Lady would love to engineer.

I'm just waiting for all characters to be in one place and realize how they are all related in the present as well as in the past (well, except for JET, unless she's also the reincarnation of someone.)

• Like 11

On 12/18/2016 at 11:08 PM, vivvianne22 said:

[나 도깨비 신부 지은탁 갑, 아저씨 도깨비는 을로 칭한다]

1. 을은 갑의 효용가치가 없어지더라도 효용가치가 없다는 말을 하지 않는다.
갑은 여리다.

1. 을은 갑의 효용가치가 없어지더라도 쫓아내지 않고 같이 산다.
갑은 사고무탁이다.

1. 을은 갑의 남친이 생길때까지 남친이 되어 준다.
갑은 심쿵을 지향한다.

1. 을은 갑의 등잔이 돼주기로 한 것을 나 물라라 하지 않는다.
갑이 자연사 할때까지.

1. 을은 갑에게 오면 온단 소린 안 해도 가면 간다 소리는 해준다.
갑이 기다리지 않게.

1. 을은 매년 첫 눈 오는 날에 갑의 소환에 응한다.
갑이 기다릴 것이기 때문이다.

서약인 김신 (서명)

I'm trying to interpret this (not 100% accurate as my korean is very limited)

[I'm Goblin Bride Ji Euntak as the buyer, Goblin ahjussi as the seller]

(I'm going to change the word buyes to Goblin Bride and the word seller to Goblin to make it easier)

1. Even Goblin Bride lost her value to Goblin, it doesn't mean there's no value at all.

The Goblin Bride('s feeling) is fragile.

1. Even Goblin Bride lost her value to Goblin, Goblin won't evict Goblin Bride and will live together.

As it's already happen to the Goblin Bride. (re: living together)

1. Goblin will be Goblin Bride's boyfriend until Goblin Bride find a boyfriend.

Goblin Bride's heart is mattered.

1. Goblin will become the light of the Goblin Bride, and can't act like he do not know anything.

Until Goblin Bride become normal.

1. Goblin does not need to tell Goblin Bride when he came home but need to tell when he is going to go.

Goblin Bride will not wait.

1. Goblin will respond to Goblin Bride's summon on the day of the first snow every year

Goblin Bride will be waiting.

Signed Kim Shin (Signature)

LOL, and we need to rip the sound of Gongyoo saying "tree" too guys. His accent is so sexy <3 <3

@staygold major thanks to you!

this is so lovely... poor ET .. she is so in need to have him in her life.. to have basic happiness of belonging somewhere to someone..

I love the clause that he has to be the boyfriend until she finds one :) 

She is so insecured of being dumped and probably even if she feels strongly she would never come out strong...

Awww... lovebirds.. poor baby ET you have no idea how much he loves you.

• Like 18

On 12/18/2016 at 8:23 PM, vivvianne22 said:

I love Kim Shin's narrator when he was watching Euntak walking to him after her part time job. It's so beautiful

생이 나에게로 걸어온다
죽음이 나에게로 걸어온다

생으로,
사로,
너는 지치지도 않고 걸어온다

그러면 나는 이렇게 말하고야 마는것이다

사럽지않다
이만하면 되었다
된 것이다

Translation:

Life is walking up to me
Death is walking up to me
From life to death,
You walk up to me tirelessly
Then I say something like this,
"I'm not in sorrow"
"This is good enough"
"It has to be"

Dearest @vivvianne22 , I ripped another mp3 based on your post here. I do gave credit for your translation and caption. Thank you dear.

• Like 14

how do you cut videos and audios and mix stuff to make new videos?

what are free softwares to use

If at 29, ET is wearing a locket spelling destiny :P .. oh well.. Goblin.. you need to take detective classes in this long life..

READ THE CLUES LITERALLY UNDER YOUR NOSE.. :)

if she is not meeting you eventually, i would give up on week's of drama watching

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, vivvianne22 said:

Episode 6 begin and end with such a poem-like narration from Kim Shin. The writer is really good this time, everything that Kim Shin saying is quote worthy.

29살의 너는, 계속 환하구나.
하지만 네 옆엔, 나는 없구나.
나의 생은 결국, 불멸을 끝냈구나.
나의 죽음뒤에, 그의 시간의 뒤에 않아 있는 너는.
내가 사라진 너의 생은.
나를 잊고 완벽히, 완성되었구나.

나는 사라져야겠다...
예쁘게 웃는 너를 위해...
내가 해야하는 선택, 이 생을 끝내는 것.
결국 난... 그 선택을 했구나...

At the age of 29, you are continuously shining.
But I'm not by your side.
My undying life has finally come to an end.
After my death, you are not in the back of his time anymore.
I'm vanished from your life.
Forget me perfectly, and completely.

I will vanish...
To make you smile beautifully...
The choice that I should make, to end my life...
I eventually... make the choices for you

너와 함께한 시간 모두 눈부셨다.
날이 좋아서.
 날이 좋지않아서.
날이 적당해서.
모든 날이 좋았다.
그리고 무슨 일이 벌어져도,
네 잘못이 아니다.

The time I spent along with you are all dazzling.
When the day was good.
When the day was not good.
When the day was being so so.
Every day was good.
And no matter what happened,
It's not your fault.

Aw

:wub: just saw this one. I'll definitely ripped this one into mp3 too. I can make an album of Gong Yoo monolog in the end of episode ^^

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Visually-wandering said:

Aw

:wub: just saw this one. I'll definitely ripped this one into mp3 too. I can make an album of Gong Yoo monolog in the end of episode ^^

Aww totally please do that, love hearing his voice, I could listen to his narration all day errday, 

6 minutes ago, mouse007 said:

This scene summarizes ET and KS relationship. ET strokes KS ego when she needs something and KS pretends he's cool and unaffected but he always gives in to her! LOL KS actually turns around to face her when she starts complimenting him. AND he actually turns the mug around and holds it using his left hand when she starts complimenting his watch! 

I love this scene too. It just way too funny. Lol. Their dynamic is no kidding haha, thanks for sharing

• Like 13

I don't think the OST is meh, it's quite great imo! Especially the one added in episode 6, 'where I am, who I am'? It's a torture to wait for the new songs, along with the new episodes lol.

But anyway @packmule3 I must say I have to give it to you for your keen eyes! I thought I was the only one to notice that the reaper writes his name as ' Reaper Kim'. Interesting right ? I am also veering towards sunny as king, considering her deadpan face and straight forward questions. Though it's still unsure why they would be. But if sunny is queen and GR the king, then everything becomes too predictable, and I don't want that, at least for now. And I found the king cold and apathetic, so it can't be that he has lost all that after rebirth?

• Like 18

Great article to read about the Korean folklores!

See spoilers for some excerpts pertaining to Goblin the drama from the article:

Spoiler

Overview of Korean Folklore

Korean culture is a mix of several belief systems – Shamanism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and since the 20th century, Christianity. Shamanism, the oldest of these systems, has been around since the dawn of Korean civilization. Shamanism’s impact on Korean folk culture was deep and far reaching; it has never died out. In an effort to seek harmony and provide an explanation of human events, the shaman worldview explained everything through a vast array of supernatural beings such as spirits, ghosts, and goblins; with a belief that spirits inhabit every object on earth. Korean folk culture reflects the connection between the human world with that of the spiritual world. The presence of these supernatural entities explained both life’s hardships and pleasures.

Korean Goblins – Dokkaebi (도깨비)

Amongst the most prolific of supernatural beings in Korean folklore is the dokkaebi. Translating dokkaebi into the English word “goblin” can lead to misconceptions because in European folklore, goblins have a demonic or evil element to them; whereas dokkaebi do not.  Dokkaebi are creatures with supernatural powers and skills and have both negative and positive characteristics; they generally take pleasure in making humans happy, but at times are known to bring misery.  The role of dokkaebi in Korean folklore can’t be overstated – let’s put it this way: dokkaebi is to Koreans as leprechauns are to the Irish. The first written story of dokkaebi appeared in the Samguk Yusa (Memorabilia of the Three Kingdoms) in the tale “Lady Dohwa and Bachelor Bihyeong” 도화녀 비형랑 which takes place during the Silla dynasty. This tale is considered to be the first documented narrative of dokkaebi.

In some remote villages of Korea, dokkaebi were held responsible for bringing diseases such as smallpox. Dokkaebi are said to possess powers giving them the ability to control all sea creatures, which is why in fishing communities dokkaebi were worshipped as spirits in hopes of gaining a big catch.

Goblin, The Drama

This fictional drama is about General Kim Shin, a faithful servant and war hero during the Goryeo dynasty. Although General Kim fought gallantly for the king, the king was jealous that General Kim had so much love from the people; therefore he was sentenced to death.  But General Kim does not die – rather he is transformed into a goblin who lives eternally. According to the legend in the drama, a woman who can see the sword pierced through him will be his “Goblin Bride” (“dokkaebi shin-bu”도깨비 신부) and only she can release him from his goblin state.

While this is a greatstory line, according to traditional Korean folklore, ore, dokkaebi are NOT derived from humans nor are they in human form. Dokkaebi are derived from inanimate items – typically household objects such as brooms, baskets, grinding pestles, and objects stained with human blood. As I explained earlier, in the shamanistic worldview, it was believed spirits inhabited everything.  For dramatic purposes, it is much harder to create a drama series about a broomstick that becomes a goblin – you can agree, it doesn’t make for a great storyline. I personally love the retelling of the dokkaebi tale in this drama!

Korean Grim Reaper: JeoSeung Saja 저승사자

The Western personification of death is known as the grim reaper. The grim reaper is an ominous skeletal figure that wears a cloak and carries as scythe – it is neither a human, nor ghost, nor monster. The personification of death in Korean culture is called JeoSeung Saja 저승사자, which literally translates into Afterlife Messenger. JeoSeung” 저승 means “the afterlife” – it is neither heaven nor hell. “Saja”사자 means “messenger” or “envoy. The job of the JeoSeong Saja is to guide the recently departed down the road to the afterlife.

JeoSeung Saja is always in human form and is personified wearing a black hanbok
(traditional Korean attire) and traditional Korean black hat called gat 갓. Even the modern take of JeoSeung Saja in the drama, Goblin, he wears a black hat, albeit a fedora rather than a gat. It’s the hat that lets you know you are staring death in the face.

Interesting tidbit from the article:

The Goblin’s Hat 도깨비 감투

In the drama, Goblin, the Grim Reaper is made invisible by wearing his black hat, which is actually not part of the traditional JeoSeung Saja narrative. This storyline is a clever twist on an famous Korean folktale called “The Goblin’s Hat” or “Dokkaebi Gamtu” 도깨비 감투.  As legend has it, if a person wears a dokkaebi’s hat, they will become invisible. According to the folktale, a man acquired a dokkaebi’s hat and became invisible to other people. He used his power of being invisible to steal food and other necessities from others in the village. He was ultimately caught and beaten.

http://koreanhistoricaldramas.com/korean-folklore-goblins-and-other-beings/

• Like 19