[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

HI Immortals....HAPPY 300 PAGES happy-dance-cheetah-emoticon.gif

loved eps 5 and 6 and I am truly enamored with this drama. It just brings a happy smile to my face when I see a new ep, when I rewatch the old eps, when I see the cuts scenes of bromance, when I see KS looking lovingly at ET and when I have loads of gif, news, pics and insightful posts to back read on this thread :blush: I hope KES justifies her own stellar job so far by giving us such good eps in future.

While looking at Kim Shin and Eun Tak as they grow closer to each other I just had this feeling that they are starting to give me vibes of 'Emma and Mr. Knightley'. Emma is a bright, talented and beautiful girl who is also a busybody, a trifle airy, sometime immature but certainly extremely loving and loyal to her loved ones. Her relationship with Mr. Knightley is based on comfort, familiarity, companionship. For her there can be none better than him as she looks up to him for advice, support and friendship and admires him and loves being in his company. She doesn't even realize how much she loves him till the time comes that she may loose him to another. Similarly, Mr. Knightley fell in love with Emma when she was 13 and has seen her grow up into a beautiful young lady for whom his love as only grown stronger even if it was never expressed as such. To Mr. Knightley, she is the only choice, the only woman he can think to be his partner in life, to share his every day life and thoughts with, though that is only openly expressed much later. Its like they naturally belong together which they consciously realize much later.

Even though the entire premise in Goblin is different, the relationship that KS has with ET and the way it is progressing gives me the same vibes as "Emma". That KS and ET naturally belong together and they are both discovering just how much they like being with each other, having petty fights but caring for each other nonetheless. That ET admires and looks up to KS is evident, she also cares a lot for him but just never allows herself to express it seriously cause the Goblin blows hot and cold with his "I am your boyfriend" and "your worth is only in pulling out the sword". But I feel like she has subtly claimed the Goblin as hers a long time back with her always going on "ahjusshi". She may be thinking about practical life and boyfriend and such but I think quite unconsciously she feelings and emotions belong to Shin. Kim Shin as we all can see finds everything about her mesmerizing and is enjoying living in the present and day to day life just by being with her, teasing her, arguing her and making her happy. These two will become more aware of romantic love later on I am sure but for now they just naturally belong to each other. 

goblin06-01135.jpggoblin06-01130.jpg

goblin04-01495.jpggoblin04-01489.jpg 

• Like 21

4 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

that's what i ahve been saying.. but then i figured if she hasn't come off age.. then i can understand their issues..

and precisely, if people want to be prickly about leagl age. then she basically shudn't be allowed to "interact" with any male before 20

and that's why we're laughing at the few people who have an issue with the age gape!! :lol: 

:heart::tears: 

• Like 13

Here you go @packmule3: A scoreboard just for you, complete with bullet points!

As long as I'm tagged, I'll keep it up to date as best I can [and try not to get behind like I did with the last one. :vicx:]

I've been contemplating the significance of the lapel pin for a while and I wonder; have we seen anything similar on Sunny? There's the ring that she wears that is the same as the ring the Queen wears. I have added this to the Sunny-is-Queen bullet points. 

There have been some scenes that reinforce my belief that Sunny is the King too such as when the Goblin is having one of his flashbacks in ep 6. 

Spoiler

We see a shot of the Joseon King which cuts to a shot of the Grim Reaper and Sunny out on their coffee date. Instead of the camera focusing on Grim Reaper, it focuses on Sunny's face just as it had previously focused on the face of the King. Why bring the focus to Sunny right after focusing on the Joseon King if she is not the present day reincarnation of said King?

Edit: Got caught up in the scoreboard and skimmed the fact that you had already touched on the flashback. Oh well. It's important enough to mention twice!

On 12/15/2016 at 6:02 PM, forgirvin said:

@packmule3 I agree with you. My past replies and speculation agree with you about 75%. What do you think of the Sunny character being a secret lover of the queen reincarnated? I really think the bad guy- and there has to be one- Is going to be the reincarnated king - Duk Hwa. Thanks for considering a response. 

Hi @forgirvin--

I’m also sorry it took me a while to respond. I had to give serious thought to your question because Goblin is an ongoing drama and I don’t want to lead readers astray with flights of fancy and other unsupported claims. I don't know who reads these soompi posts but yes, our conversation here can get disseminated everywhere.

You had asked me for my view on Sunny as a secret lover of the queen reincarnated and Duk Hwa as an evil king. I think that would be a convoluted but very interesting plot twist. :) I also think an experienced scriptwriter can definitely make that angle work. 

However, as of Episode 6, I personally don’t see how Duk Hwa could be elevated to a kingly status. The cabbage/fairy grandmother was very precise in linking the fates of the Reaper and Sunny when she prophesied, “It doesn’t matter who pays. You’ll both end up paying a very high fee anyway.” [credit: dramabeans]  

And at that time, she had only Sunny and the Reaper in her sights. DH wasn’t in the picture. 

Moreover, as much as DH appeared like a greedy wastrel who took advantage of his “uncle,” I do NOT think he’s destined to be an evil guy. Why? One, because Shin could see HIS future, and in Episode 6, when Shin was tying loose ends before his departure, he gave DH the credit card, stroke his hair to express fondness, and told him that he grew up well. I don't think Shin would do all this if he could foresee DH backstabbing or sabotaging him in the future. That defies logic, right? 

Two, let’s also consider how DH had known all along that Shin was a goblin (Did he know since he was 6? 7?) BUT he never once betrayed Shin’s secret identity. In fact, he kept quiet the whole time. He only began his research on Shin at the same time as ET despite knowing of Shin's condition since elementary school. He reined in his curiosity pretty well, don't you think?

I think in the future, and given time, he would live up to expectations and do a seriously good job of this duty he’s been trained for since birth. By Episode 6, we could see that he was already beginning to take more care and responsibility for both his uncles. He was giving them relationship advice, teaching them to use cellphones, showing them the normal social behavior, and driving them to dates.

Three, his wrong actions are more juvenile delinquency in nature. His misdeeds do NOT stem from immorality, warped conscience, or sheer wickedness.  There’s a big difference in how one can judge the intent, manner, and consequence of DH’s actions, and we shouldn't paint him all black when he's in fact only 50 shades of gray. (hahaha.)  

Sure: he didn’t exercise good judgment when he abused his credit card, acted like a spoiled chaebol (because he was one) and rented out the house to the Reaper.  But these actions don’t prove at all that he intended to do evil or harm towards others.  Good judgment can always be developed with time, maturity and growth. But malice, if it’s present in the heart from the start, is harder to remove. 

So there you go. I think DH plays only a secondary role in the drama -- a very useful comedy relief, but a secondary role nonetheless. He’s going to be a loyal retainer to the Goblin like all his ancestors.But if the screenwriter decides to change midway, that's perfectly fine for me, too. 

Take care now, and feel free to ask me questions again. 

Tagging @phikyl as promised. 

• Like 22

8 hours ago, vivvianne22 said:

I love Kim Shin's narrator when he was watching Euntak walking to him after her part time job. It's so beautiful

생이 나에게로 걸어온다
죽음이 나에게로 걸어온다

생으로,
사로,
너는 지치지도 않고 걸어온다

그러면 나는 이렇게 말하고야 마는것이다

사럽지않다
이만하면 되었다
된 것이다

Translation:

Life is walking up to me
Death is walking up to me
From life to death,
You walk up to me tirelessly
Then I say something like this,
"I'm not in sorrow"
"This is good enough"
"It has to be"

Our Goblin is such a romantic. One goblin husband like this please, where I can preorder it?

Is there anyway we can save these as part of first post? Like the MLSHR thread? It is a bit difficult to search these once we move forward.

• Like 18

Greetings, All,

I'm really enjoying this drama.  I'm loving the language which is almost consistently poetic, such as the tidbit in @staygold's post above.  The premise is unique and I love how our Heroine keeps all these AWESOME men--a Goblin, a Reaper, a Chairman and a third-generation heir--on their toes and chasing their tails.  Daebak!   The almost-death scene at the end of Ep. 6 had me wiping tears from my eyes and that hasn't happened since all the beautiful female deaths in Moon Lovers--I guess this is the "equal time" drama, where our handsome hero (tries to) die over and over again so we get to witness these long and touching goodbyes.  I'm thinking two things:  first, that Kim Shin isn't dying because neither he nor she (who I think has an inkling what will happen when she removes the sword) really wants him to die and, second, that our third-generation heir isn't long for that credit card...   Oh, yeah, I'm also thinking our mystery halmoni may be God...

Cheers until Ep. 7...

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Hikary25 said:

hello guys :) I have something that is bugging me. did someone translate the contract tha ET give to our Goblin to sign?  pleaseee :) 

Yep! The contract was translated here: 

On 12/18/2016 at 0:38 AM, ChunSungIm said:

funny about the name though,all the 3 of them are kim eun sook former male cast (hyun bin and woo bin) and eun sook first choice for dots (won bin).i hope kim woo bin make cameo in this drama.

where can i find this types of pics ? i like soo much

Mod edit: Do not quote images. grim.png

• Like 5

Hi everyone!

This is my first post in this website and I can't be more excited about it! I'm loving Goblin so damn much that I need to share my feelings with other fans. OMO I can't wait to watch episode 7!! I hope you all will take care of me, I'll try my best.:blush:

BTW, Am I the only one thinking that the woman in red is the Deity itself? I mean, God. 

She is on Eun Tak side so she will be ok. What do you think?

Edited by beijingdoll
  • Like 8

@packmule3 wow what a great write-up about your style and preferences! i'm looking forward to your analysis then as i am quite similar to you in that i pay attention to dialogue and am more character-driven, as well as wit, irony and plot-twists. 

I have great appreciation for how stories are crafted and how writers pull things together in meaningful ways. Goblin certainly offers a lot of room for analysis, which I realised after writing my post on why Eun Tak can't pull out the sword(mentioned earlier, but posting here for easy reference: https://kdramaanalysis.wordpress.com/2016/12/18/the-lonely-and-shining-goblin-possible-theories-about-the-goblins-wife/). I love how the show has been so beautifully constructed that there's so much to analyse, yet at the same time it's enjoyable to watch because the character interactions are funny. 

@vivvianne22 thanks for helping to translate the contract. it's very useful as i'm sure there will be reference made to it again later.

@maryofbethany i totally agree with you that Eun Tak's character deserves more credit than she gets.. and thanks for usefully highlighting all her strengths. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

:sweatingbullets: okay i was thinking to do the same here as what ive OC-ed in SHR. I hope i can squeeze those spazzes this week,despite the holiday rush. 

Yayyy!! Thank you!!! multi-stars-smiley.gif?1292867640 Let me know if I can be of any help to dig around and search for anything in the thread!

• Like 6

Anyone else find funny to think that under is  somber business attire  and tacky sweaters our Reaper is seriously buff as h ell with the body of an Adonis? you'd expect a  career reaper and tea affectionado   like him to be  rather slender and pale  and weedy right? But nooo... 

Reaper HQ must have a state of the art Gym :) 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, LyraYoo said:

:sweatingbullets: okay i was thinking to do the same here as what ive OC-ed in SHR. I hope i can squeeze those spazzes this week,despite the holiday rush. 

@LyraYoo (haha,you loved our EunTak so much now, you changed your contact photo to her). metoo, loved her.
can i request you also add the poetry of"Mass is not porportions to volume..... It was my first love."

that poem itself sealed my passion, moved me to tears.
will talk more tonight. note of thanks here.

• Like 7