[Drama 2017] Tunnel 터널

larus

I have never cried for an episode this much! And the damn BGM does not help :tears: (I really hope they release a full VA album)

But I have to say...BEST DRAMA I HAVE EVER WATCHED TO DATE! And this is not my emotions talking, it's absolutely true!

This is the first show to break the stereotype of rom-coms being my fav genre, cause this show had everything a drama fan could ask for. Thriller, mystery, romance, comedy, family...you name it they have it! They nailed everything! 

And the last episode was beautiful. ALL that emotional build up to him leaving...to YH calling him 'appa'...and SJ giving him that final bow! 

*standing ovation* to the drama crew and writers for a splendid script and show.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A amazing drama with excellent characters and having at it's core the emotional aspect and bond of all those interacting with Kang Ho,our main hero...I admit i would have desired to see just a little bit more of the changes of him going back to the past,to see the changes in the lives of Sung Jae&Jae Yi,the Police Squad and how looks different from how he encontered it in the future and seeing them behave with Kwang Ho now,that would have been priceless...I liked a lot that we found out why Park Kwang Ho from 88 has the same exact name as our Kwang Ho even if this one doesn't realize it...

This drama core like mentioned were the emotions and the writer did it more than right...The final episode had more than one emotional,powerful scene...Yoo Hyun Min was amazing in the scene where Mok Jin Woo tells him why he killed his mother...The scene were all the members visit the families of the past victims telling them they caught the criminal,that they weren't forgoten is sooo sad yet brings finally peace to the ones left behind and the victims as well...I found it sooo endering the scene were Kwang Ho tells Sung Jae in private that he is returning home and the sadness of Sung Jae finding out his friend is leaving him...Seeing him cry and almost telling him he will be alone without him makes it even more endering and sad at the same time bringing back the way Sung Jae was before meeting Kwang Ho and showing how much Kwang Ho presence in his life healed and brought out the best in him...The scene were Sung Shik cries finding out Kwang Ho leaves at the party is sooo sad as more than sure he remembers the first time he lost his Sunbae yet that time he couldn't say the stuff he was able now...And last but not least the meal made by Jae Yi and calling him father...Even if we know they are the same people and he will see them again and maybe meet others again in the distant future it's still sad seeing them say goodbye as they are and at the same time aren't the same people...It's also amazing seeing how many people lives can change around the decisions/presence of one person,in the past and in the future...Kwang Ho can be a on your face type of person while talking but he is a man full of heart and knowing what is right and wrong...Loved his friendship with Sung Jae so much even more seeing how they started off and how he influenced Sung Jae along the way...This drama was all about the bonds of our characters using the time travelling as a side device and having it's core still in this characters something that made this drama such an amazing ride...

I admit i now anticipate what this writer has next in store for us and hope we'll get sometime in the future another reunion between Choi Jin Hyuk and Yoo Hyun Min...For a debut drama she did an amazing job and hope she will comeback soon with another great project...

Another round of applause goes to the sound departament...The main BGM of the show is killer,i doubt it will be released yet all the bgm's used are 10+ elevating the scenes even more(sad,emotional,thrilling)...

Binge watch  previous 3 episodes  earlier, and waiting for 16 to be sub. Have to wait for the final episode. Really really good drama! can't watch to watch final ep!

One thing I have to say though, and I'm probably in the minority ( or the only one) Jin Woo the murderer, the killer... should have exchange characters with the guy who died in prison Jung Hyo? He was more exciting.. as far as the scenes where concerned especially when they were hunting down the murderer. But that's just my opinion. The pathologist character from IRY (2015 drama) was more scarier (for me, anyway).

Having said that.. you know a writer is good when when humor is put in it's place in all the  right scenes! I  always enjoyed the detective scenes!

Choi Jin Hyuk? I'm not familiar with him but terrific acting!! and also Hyun Yoo Min.. well I always watch his dramas!

----------

OT: So now that Tunnel is over can OCN pls pls pls have 38TaskForce part  2? :D #beenwishingforthis!

Chingus,

Tunnel " is over and we had a good journey with it the last 4 months.

I applause director/directors, actors, writer.

" Tunnel'' would be one of the dramas I ll recommend in any kdrama addicted viewer regardless the genre he likes.

In my own personal opinion and that has to do strictly with my personal preference did not make it to my Top 3 korean dramas but every minute of the drama its worth to watch and enjoy.

I re-discover my old puppy from" Cruel City" Yoon Hyun Min( always a good actor) and  Choi Jin hyuk showed me sides of him that I didn t see in his previous works.

Will be glad to see you all chingus in a different thread from another great drama. Until then take care.

5 hours ago, Mico Ricco said:

KH able to go back to the past as Mok (the culprit) is now captured.

KH knowing all of the future events will make sure his wife Yeon Sook, Yeon Ho and Sun Jae will a happy life living and growing up together.

Agree. It's almost like the American movie "Frequency" starring Dennis Quaid & Jim Cavezial. Dennis Quaid (in the past) finds out what happens to his son (in the present). He hears him over the CB/Ham radio struggle with the villain. He makes sure he stays healthy & alive so that during the present time and place, he goes and helps his son against the villain. In this way, PKH, although, he's in the past and is with his family & "babysits" SJ, he knows when the events takes place in the future to prevent further killing by Mok and maybe even save future young PKH from dying.

somebody, help me. the end of the drama just loudly screams about the second season (actually, it's my soul cries, bleeding by happy and sad tears, so nevermind).

after the last minutes of ep, I have so many time - theories and believes and hopes and...

but, actually... PKH88 is still strange person for me. I mean.. he is not so important (writer also could find another reason for time-traveling for PKH. now I just have questions which depend on possible answers.

PKH'88 was named after PKH, because he helped and saved his mother and him also. so...(do we have any explanations of naming PKH88 before the last ep? is it possible, that in general PKH still will die and his daughter will not know her parents? because it's actually possible. 5 month is not the 30 years. everything can happen or I'm just lost myself somewhere in translation or somewhere else..

I need to rewatch it during next weeks, but I'm afraid it will not help me at all...
unbelievably this drama ends and I just can't believe in it.
Crime and time-traveling are not "my" genres at all, but it was love at first sight and it will totally become one of the favorite k-dramas, which I will rewatch sometimes

Its time to say goodbye... Ottoke... I am not ready yet... My duo bickering detectives, Hwayang Squad, and awkward and weird couple, Sun-jae & Jae-yi. I guess i will have post traumatic drama disorder... Hohhhoo...:(:lol:

Is it happy ending or sad ending? Ahh... I really don't know... As expected, time travel drama always leaves me a headache... 

I have too much mixed feelings. I cried, smiled, cried and smiled again. Just like those chingu said above BGM really on the point. It help all the emotions. We only have one OST, but the BGM is the winner. I want have it too.... Tunnel really messed up my weekend for the past 4 months... :huh:

Well, i want to share my last thoughts from this week episodes. I want to talk about the actors and actress who took the role on Tunnel. First, Yoon Hyun-mjn. I didn't come to watch this drama for Yoon Hyun-min, have been seeing him from some dramas but not really know him. Rather than Choi Jin-hyuk, i think i like him more now. :D . He really nailed all his scenes, espc when he cried. Omg...!!! Second, Choi Jin-hyuk. Well i know him pretty well since Heirs. And seem like i found new discovery from him. Third, Lee Yoo-young. Definitely new for me. Those three, i like the combo. They should be make a reunion in the future.

And also the most important thing, the supporting characters. From Sung-sik, Tae-hee and Min-ha. Though i dont know their real names, but i see them numerous time in dramas. They definetely my favourite supporting casts now. And people who must not be forgotten, Mok Jin-woo and Jung Ho-young. I just remembered the actor who played Mok Jin-woo also had a role in Romantic Doctor and as expected villain role too, but he had redemption in the end of drama. Here i somehow i dont want it. I am a bit afraid that instead of prison, he will spend his service on mental hospital. Like Mo Tae-gu of Voice. -_-. Even for Mo Tae-gu, i did pity him for a moment. But Mok Jin-woo, he is totally crazy phsyco. Next Jung Ho-young, give a standing ovation for the actor. Sadly his scene end in ep 12. I hope i can see him again in other works.

Now lets talk about the story. I like how the writer wrapped up the story. Yes, not an ending that i want. I want more than this. Hahha... I am too greedy, right! I dont want Tunnel to end. This is a story of hope. If you never give up, you will find a way. Whether you will find it by yourself, or the other people will find a way for you. PKH'88 failed to catch MJW in the present, but his dream was fulfilled by his supposed to be team-mate. PKH'86 failed to catch MJW in the past but he received a gift from God to make everything back to the right place by doing time travel. If there is will, there will be a way. Don't give up! Such a live lesson. 

I heard that Tunnel was the writer's first work. Ohhh... I can't believe it. Sure i will check her/his next work. Tunnel is not perfect, and every drama has their own flaws. I admire the writer to focus on "the after effect of a crime". Yes, sometime i think, why would he/she added "time travel" matter on this drama. I believe it could be done beautifully even without it. The writer really has a tallent to put funny line, serious, heartwarming words on every scenes. Also i read on twitter, that all Jae-yi's slide on her class about serial killer was real. The writer really did a research for it i think. Bravo Bravo Bravo.... The PD too..., and staffs, they did a great job. Ahh...for the PD, thank you for giving me "Enjoyable PPL" scene. The maxim coffee scene, the most blantant PPL these days, but really fun to see. :D:grin:

Okay... Now i need to comeback to my real life. Its Mon(ster)day, yes monday. Time to work,,,^_^

Chingu... I really have a great time here, discussing this drama with you guys. Even sometimes we played like detective to guess and predict what will happen in the next. And sometimes we played like a crazy physco to imagine the story that we want to have. I hope i can see you again on the other threads. See you.....:bawling::lol::lol:

FINALE   EP 16

I was wrong, YH is saved. It was the 3rd time she was saved.   I am not sure how I feel about the ending. The strong emotional bonds that were made by all the officers and with his daughter and SJ, that was very powerful.

But it left me wondering what was the sense of him going to the future. What for?  Perhaps to discover the identity of Mok so he can catch him in the past.  Doesn't he have to? Otherwise, why didn't PKH meet himself in the future?   We meet baby PKH '88 and sad to think he might die running from Mok, but now it seems more likely he lives.   And, since SJ is visiting little YH, I think PKH must have caught Mok and fulfilled his promise to SJ's father and they have bonded.  That makes sense. Then PKH'88 will also live.   I loved this drama, but last two episodes weren't as strong as I had hoped.

[SPOILERS] TUNNEL (FINALE) 

Spoiler

0003541177_001_20170521231516539.jpg

0003541177_002_20170521231516597.jpg

tunnel.png
Naver - Osen: 'Tunnel' Choi Jin Hyuk, Caught the culprit and went back to '88...Perfect Happy Ending

1. [+5015, -74] Was it worth running in the beginning?

2. [+3394, -54] At th end, Park Kwang Ho '88's truth has been revealed as well, I really liked the ending~ Everybody worked really hard ㅠㅠ

3. [+2936, -44] I watched Tunnel for the last 2 months, This is the first time I watch a drama while feeling nervous, I felt goosebumps sometimes. Every week was really fun!!!

4. [+2419, -35] I'm happy that it is a happy ending, I really enjoyed watching it!!

5. [+1870, -56] Is season 2 possible?~

6. [+913, -14] The reason I liked Tunnel was because they always express the pain of the victims families and that they are still having a hard time. When he said I'm sorry that I'm too late. When he said you can rest in peace now. Murder can never be justified. The writer missed a little of the story at the end but It's been a long time since I watch a drama like this, You have worked hard all this time.

7. [+842, -13] In the last meeting, the chief officer acknowledges his mistake and politely apologizes to the others at 90 degrees....It was cool...I will take care of the meal....If there were people like him, It will be such a good office.

8. [+818, -21] When she choose her son's name Kwang Ho I got goosebumps...As expected, a well made drama !

9. [+702, -15] It would have been nice if Park Kwang Ho has appeared again

10. [+674, -15] Wa...the actor who played Mok Jin Woo is really good at acting..!! His acting was daebak till the end ㅠㅠ What will I watch next week ㅜㅜ

Spoiler

201705212311164186_1_20170522075116541.jpg

201705212311164186_2_20170522075116556.jpg

Naver - My Daily: From Question mark to exclamation mark...The true reversal of 'Tunnel'

1. [+526, -26] Tunnel is really the best and It's the best drama of my life...

2. [+475, -30] I will say this again, If this drama aired on a public channel It would have reached 30%

3. [+394, -23] The most recent fun drama that I've watched...What will I watch now ㅠㅠ

4. [+292, -14] You all have worked hard, My week-ends were really fun

5. [+51, -2] Looking at how Sung Jae came to visit, He must have caught the culprit~~ If he didn't caught it, Sung Jae's father wouldn't have send him there and he wouldn't be smiling like that ㅋㅋ

6. [+38, -1] Yeon Ho's life has changed, Her mom and dad are both alive and she will meet Kim Sung Jae in a different way

7. [+35, -0] It was a rediscovery of the actor Kim Min Sang !! I had a lot of fun watching it, You all have worked hard

8. [+49, -6] Tunnel was a good drama

9. [+31, -0] Profesor Mok was the best actor, I hope I will see him often

cr

As far as finales go, I really liked what I saw for the most part. As a whole it did reasonably well in tying up all the major themes. There were many, many deeply moving moments in this beginning with the police chief's apology. He didn't seem like a bad bloke after all. Visiting grieving families and surviving members when all was done and dusted was a lovely touch. And then of course there was KH's extended send off by the team and JY-YH... beautifully executed. As for the time travel side of things, I don't need to know how the temporal mechanism worked but it seemed that KH was right... His job was done and it was time to leave to return to his young family back in 1988 or whenever it was he got there.

What however left me scratching my head was KH's return to 1988. Meeting the other PKH's mother was nice to be sure but what about all the rest of it? The young MJW? The young JHY? Kim Young Ja? I'm sort of left wondering if KH had left sleeping dogs lie which is so unlike him or had he already got a hold of MJW. Did I miss something?

In light of my criticisms yesterday, it makes me wonder if the show had not been better off cutting the cat and mouse game with Dr Mok and given more time to KH's return to the 1980s. Ending it the way it did leaves me with lots of questions about the decisions KH would have made about his pursuit MJW in the early days. Yes, it was wonderful that he was reunited with Yeon Seok, Yeon Ho and little SJ but did he stop MJW from killing other people? And if so, what were the ramifications of that? I don't have a problem with the implication that the future has been reset but it bothers me that the show completely glosses over the consequences of what he did during his earlier return while he was pursuing the fountain pen and calling on KYJ. Or at the very least the show doesn't explain when he arrived back in the 1980s, how he followed up on it... or even what he did in those months after YH's birth.

Seeing that he looks cheerful, I can only assume that he did apprehend the younger MJW which is why SJ has become a regular visitor to their home. I don't know about anyone else, but the way all of that was done leaves me somewhat dissatisfied. I feel like Ebenezer Scrooge saying all this because KH did have his happily ever after but maybe if they were running out of time to put together a fuller ending, it would have been better to leave him in 2016.

As a whole, I really liked Tunnel. I don't want to take anything from what they've achieved. The acting was stellar from beginning to end... we saw some incredible acting from CJH and YHM but really the entire ensemble was terrific. Emotionally it had far more of an impact for me than Signal did and the character dynamics were so much compelling as well.

Guest aivzthegreat

It's never a good thing to watch a finale in a public bus. I cried and it was too obvious for no one to notice hahahaha!

But, I can say that Tunnel is a very great drama. I have seen a few crime/mystery/thriller/time travelling drama, but this will be #1 to my list for that genre. There's no reason for me not to give it 10/10. Despite the flaws (which all drama surely has) I enjoy the run and it satisfy my ending quality. It was wrapped up so well. It does not give me the thought of, "So, what happen to that person..", "They should have done this instead of that.". This drama just leaves me with a smile until my screen goes black. I have never have this kind of satisfying feeling with all the kdramas that I watched lately. Including defendant which is another drama that I really like.

To all the cast and staff, congratulations for a very wonderful drama! :) There was nothing I could say because I am beyond satisfied. Thank you!! 

PS. I was so amazed when I see that Park Kwang Ho 1988 is really named after our Park Kwang Ho.

Bye guys! See you in another drama thread :)

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

As far as finales go, I really liked what I saw for the most part. As a whole it did reasonably well in tying up all the major themes. There were many, many deeply moving moments in this beginning with the police chief's apology. He didn't seem like a bad bloke after all. Visiting grieving families and surviving members when all was done and dusted was a lovely touch. And then of course there was KH's extended send off by the team and JY-YH... beautifully executed. As for the time travel side of things, I don't need to know how the temporal mechanism worked but it seemed that KH was right... His job was done and it was time to leave to return to his young family back in 1988 or whenever it was he got there.

What however left me scratching my head was KH's return to 1988. Meeting the other PKH's mother was nice to be sure but what about all the rest of it? The young MJW? The young JHY? Kim Young Ja? I'm sort of left wondering if KH had left sleeping dogs lie which is so unlike him or had he already got a hold of MJW. Did I miss something?

In light of my criticisms yesterday, it makes me wonder if the show had not been better off cutting the cat and mouse game with Dr Mok and given more time to KH's return to the 1980s. Ending it the way it did leaves me with lots of questions about the decisions KH would have made about his pursuit MJW in the early days. Yes, it was wonderful that he was reunited with Yeon Seok, Yeon Ho and little SJ but did he stop MJW from killing other people? And if so, what were the ramifications of that? I don't have a problem with the implication that the future has been reset but it bothers me that the show completely glosses over the consequences of what he did during his earlier return while he was pursuing the fountain pen and calling on KYJ. Or at the very least the show doesn't explain when he arrived back in the 1980s, how he followed up on it... or even what he did in those months after YH's birth.

Seeing that he looks cheerful, I can only assume that he did apprehend the younger MJW which is why SJ has become a regular visitor to their home. I don't know about anyone else, but the way all of that was done leaves me somewhat dissatisfied. I feel like Ebenezer Scrooge saying all this because KH did have his happily ever after but maybe if they were running out of time to put together a fuller ending, it would have been better to leave him in 2016.

As a whole, I really liked Tunnel. I don't want to take anything from what they've achieved. The acting was stellar from beginning to end... we saw some incredible acting from CJH and YHM but really the entire ensemble was terrific. Emotionally it had far more of an impact for me than Signal did and the character dynamics were so much compelling as well.

I too wish there was just a little more scenes of the pasts of young MJW, JHY and Kim Young Ja. (Also I would've liked a stronger OST - Sorry I'm a spoiled Signal fan). However them visiting the grieving families was the highlight for me, I don't think I've scene a drama that went into depth and paid respects to the families that have lost loved ones. It's strange how in both Voice and Signal endings it felt bittersweet, however with Tunnel I feel like my heart is at ease? It's hard to explain, Tunnel sure is a drama of it's own. 

After this I don't think I want to watch anymore dramas with nut crazy killers and female victims, for a while - there's been too many. 

Tunnel is over. ;-;

There were a TON of great, emotional scenes in the finale. I teared up often.

Yoon Hyun Min had another strong, angry scene when he raged at Jin Woo (reminded me of his fight scene with Jung Ho Young). His acting was so good.

Yeon Ho's first and last time calling Kwang Ho "father" in the present. TT____TT

In my mind, I had thought that maybe we would see Kwang Ho catching young MJW in the past. The drama did not show that. I think they did not have enough time for it. KH was missing a police team and partners. He actually was not stationed anywhere. People thought he was dead so he would have to somehow explain himself. I don't know if it would have been too extra if they had included him catching young MJW when they spent so much time in catching him in the present.

He did have the female victim in the past who was probably able to testify and young MJW probably did not leave the area. I guess, as the viewer, we are to assume he caught MJW in the past some time after he went home. It was at least 5 months since he's been back. The drama could have included some concrete scenes where the viewer could see MJW locked up or something. It was nice seeing Kwang Ho with Yeon Sook and baby Yeon Ho though. Lil Sun Jae was adorable too. ^^ Cute touch with the matching hairstyle to his present look!!!

The two villain's past and background info were decently fleshed out, but neither of them really struck fear into me (unlike the villain in Voice).

Overall, this drama was still really awesome. ^^ Getting super late.... I finished the finale just now so these are my immediate thoughts/ramblings... Zzz so I'll end my comments here. xD

1 hour ago, kasjady said:

I too wish there was just a little more scenes of the pasts of young MJW, JHY and Kim Young Ja. (Also I would've liked a stronger OST - Sorry I'm a spoiled Signal fan). However them visiting the grieving families was the highlight for me, I don't think I've scene a drama that went into depth and paid respects to the families that have lost loved ones. It's strange how in both Voice and Signal endings it felt bittersweet, however with Tunnel I feel like my heart is at ease? It's hard to explain, Tunnel sure is a drama of it's own. 

After this I don't think I want to watch anymore dramas with nut crazy killers and female victims, for a while - there's been too many. 

Even if they had just shown us a newspaper headline + article telling us the MJW had been arrested and that KYJ was testifying, that would have been fine too. Loose ends don't always bother me but this was quite a major one.

I like all three shows (Signal, Voice and Tunnel) for different reasons. Signal did marvellous things with the time shift elements and tied up all the cases very neatly although I'm still left wondering why some things get resolved in the past and some things don't. That was never really explained. It was not a big deal in my appreciation of the generally masterful execution. I loved the edge of the seat, frenetic pace of Voice although some of the procedural stuff could have been seriously tightened. The villains there were great too and the violence seemed to fit the overall tone of the show. As for Tunnel, the individual cases were fine but it was the crime solving bromance and one-on-one character interactions that really made it special.

I haven't decided if I'm sick of psychopathic killers yet. :wink: But it remains to be seen if I find a replacement drama in the short-term. I am enjoying Man to Man far too much.

Truly enjoyed the whole journey thru Tunnel. Love the ending where everything n everyone gets their closure. Ep 16 was 1 emotional ride, tying up the loose ends n answering the questions. Am happy tat PKH went back to the past, to his time, to live in happiness n chasing after baddies with his sidekick.

Kudos to cast n crew for bringing tis to life. Was initially worried it will be labelled as spin off or copy of Signal but both dramas r gems on their own!

Am sure tat PKH is keeping a close eye on young KSJ, probably grooming him into the son in law tat he wants. Seeing him with wife n baby YH n young KSJ just warms my heart n a nice pic to close the drama. Knowing how much KSJ suffered growing up without his mum, seems like everyone got their 2nd shot at happiness.

Am enjoying crime dramas so much n looking forward to the drama following Tunnel, heard it will be another crime based. Keep them coming OCN!

Archived