[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

54 minutes ago, theseasasleep said:

For the yellow highlight, there's going to be some agree to disagree here, hee. So is admittedly my bias so on a purely subjective level I don't like people taking pock shots at him. But putting that aside, objectively I agree with your point about his warning to So up to a point. My main problem was precisely how he said it as well as the why, which was to inflict maximum psychological damage not to honestly address a concern about the unlikelihood of So being permitted to pursue the women of his household. But as I said, it's an agree to disagree situation since you are granting him more leeway than me in this regard. :)

For the bold, Wook isn't choosing the sidelines and diplomacy to keep his world at peace but to not call attention to him and his family because his mom has a plan to get him on the throne. Right now, I don't know how much of this is his ambition or her own but I like your theory about the tug-of-war action vs inaction that will grow between him and So will likely amp up his bid for the throne.

For the pink highlight, I'm not sure if you misunderstood me but I didn't mean that So's apology to Yeon Hwa (thank you, by the way :D ) was calculated to salvage a relationship with an ally. Like you, I believe his apology was sincere because he is a person who cares especially for those who have shown care for him. My point about potentially losing Yeon Hwa as an ally if she took the disrespect to heart was me wondering aloud about the potential future costs of So's action vs. Wook's inaction. For example, while she might not hold So's action against him as I speculated, she most certainly will hold it against Soo if her glare is anything to go by; most decidedly a consequence of So's action.

As you say, Wook is bound by the duties placed upon him. If upholding appearances are his chains, then he would lose Soo with or without So's presence. Soo is not an appearance-bound girl, she doesn't hold still for facades. Even as she admonishes herself to be more unassuming for the sake of her host family when she sees something she deems wrong, she leaps to correct it. Her first instinct is to help and she obeys it. She could never quite share that tightly bound existence with him and that's putting aside issues of rank and status as well as the ambitions of his mother. So is much more of a rule-breaker, a rule-challenger because if he wasn't he'd be dead. I suspect as the drama goes on we will see both Soo and So defy rules and circumstance in increasingly clever or mature ways. Right now they are both like wild, loudly yapping puppies running headlong into the next fray.

Hahaha, I can't really argue the bias bit, can I? So IS love, who am I to deny that? I want him happy oh so much..but Wook tugs at my heartstrings as well. Basically, I'm glad I'm not Soo who has to choose one guy because I personally would never be able to do that xD I'm not saying what Wook did was right but given the circumstances it was certainly logical. None of the brothers are really that close to So to think about his position. Sure, Wook gives him a place to stay and admits to caring for him more than others cuz they were "born in the same year" but no one really sees So as a human prone to being emotionally hurt by the words of others. I do believe that his siblings take the "Wolf Dog" image of his as the only thing So is capable of. It sucks but I can't really blame them. Still..Wook cares for him more than his other brothers but Soo is such a touchy topic for Wook that he loses his diplomatic cool.

Whether we call it keeping world at peace or not wanting to call attention to his family...it basically means the same. Wook just wants to not be in the spotlight for any reason. Now whether its temporary because of his mother's wish to see him on the throne or permanent because he really CBA about the power dynamics..we don't know.

This isn't the last of YH's wrath that Soo would see. It's just the beginning. YH feelings for So are of the possessive kind. Unlike say Wook's wife who'd rather step down for her husband's happiness..YH would rather eliminate any threat that could come in between her and So. At least that's what I think. So has respect for YH and maybe he even is aware of her feelings for him. He doesn't dismiss YH which speaks much about the relationship that they share.

Ya know..I think Wook and Soo would've worked out had HaJin not taken over Soo. We may call her HaeSoo because that's what her name is in Goryeo era but technically, the real HaeSoo is dead. Maybe the show will take a different path but my theory is that HS and Wook had a silent kind of a love where they both knew they were attracted to each other but they didn't act on it. HS was originally a quiet girl...it's our Soo who has the spunk and is more interested in going out and about than staying put and keeping her head down. It's our Soo who has gotten this close to Wook that he is now visibly shaken. And our Soo and Wang Wook will never work out. As much as I get all the feels because goodness, the chemistry loaded with all the sexual tension is just. so. GOOD...I know logically it makes no sense for these two to work and like you said, it's primarily because of who Soo is as a person. Like I said before, I love it how Soo has feelings for Wook, feelings she knows are getting out of control despite her wanting not to...she won't act upon them cuz it's just so wrong. I don't know what will be the incident which would end all her feelings for Wook or HOW she'd fall for So who has lowkey starting falling for her. But what works in favor for Soo and So is that they are both outsiders who don't really fit in the established rules of the kingdom. I believe that is what will play a major part in bringing them closer...it has already started to do so.

• Like 11

Good evening everyone, tuning in for the 5th episode tonight. I am so excited. I was already dead tired last night but I did my best to get through it even if my fingers weren't moving anymore. That's how much I love you MLSHR. Thanks to everyone who did the recap, suddenly in the middle of the show my connection or the streaming link decided to stop working.

8 hours ago, Le_Amarant said:

This drama's low domestic viewings contradicts the amount of interest it generates. Every time I see a Dramabeans recap on Moon Lovers, there are 200+ comments, which is unusual for a show that's trending low in viewership.

I'm convinced there is more backstory to why Queen Something-something's vehemence towards Wang So. For one, I don't understand why she sacrificed him when she had 3rd prince at the time as well. The woman has shown us that she's capable of maternal love, so the reasoning that Wang So "embarrasses her" is an insufficient explanation for her hatred.

The average comment for moonlovers recap in DB is around 600+. I checked dramabeans recap just now its already 400+ 20comments short to being 500 and the episode was last night. Imagine the interest it is garnering. The comments on naver are improving too and even other translating websites.

Spoiler

Regarding the Queen's hatred towards WS, I feel it has to do with some kind of prophesy or the death of the 2nd child. I can't remember if it was posted on this thread but it was said that WS will bring so much misfortune/death/blood. Then it was supposed to be WS who'd die of assassination but WS lived and the other prince died(the Queen Yoo was mourning for). He can't ascend to the throne with that mark on his face, so he is someone worthless. I'm pretty sure the behind story will be unraveled in time, probably mid of the story.

Since WS historically speaking will purge powerful clans, most especially Kang(his adoptive family clan) and Yoo(his bio-mom's clan), we will understand why in the later part of the story and it will be justified, because of the experiences he had to go through because of their power struggle and using the princes are pawns to maintain power.

• Like 14

Lee Joonki is truly a remarkable actor, I haven't watched him in most of his works ... the fact he's yet able to display so much emotion even with an eye patch is awesome. That he has an eye patch makes him even more captivating. Although I'm gettin' distinct Phantom Of The Opera vibes LoL! His character is so tortured, pained, pitiful ... It's also the most layered and probably a reason why he's so endearing more over than other characters.

IU gettin' so much hate could be due to jealousy LoL. I mean who wouldn't want to trade places with her right?! At first I was rooting for her to be with Haneul, but now I want her with Joonki heh. It's because their relationship is gradual and built from mistrust to trust, whereas her with Haneul is based by the warmth he gave her from the start. It's also a look at how IU's growth develops over the course of the drama. 

I admit I only tuned in for the hype initially, having not watched the original - I've no expectations, I watched it for the hot male cast but am now staying for the plot. Looking forward to what's next.

• Like 20

1 hour ago, akinahana89 said:

I know we're all still reeling and spazzing over episode 4 while getting ready for episode 5, but... here's another review/recap of eps 1 through 3 to add to our collection. ^^

[First Impressions] Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Eps 1 - 3

After what feels like an eternity, we were finally blessed with three episodes of the pre-produced Scarlet Heart: Ryeo during its premiere week. With anticipation and excitement piled high, not only from the excellent cast, but from months of media teasing for this Korean adaptation of Tong Hua's novel, Bu Bu Jing Xin, eager fans are asked two very common questions. Was the wait worth it? Did the drama live up to the hype?

My answer?

[click here to read]

Fantastic piece as always, @akinahana89 Your writing is one of the things I have missed in the past 3 years. Keep it coming!

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Welcome chingu - here too!

Oh yes - he is talented...   thats why the latest Action form his Character could make us that angry. Me too - I still wish to slap him for every word he said to Wang So - Wang So - not Joon Gi - so please don´t misunderstand. I love the way he portrays Wang Wook - I love it that they show us his Fighting Skill too - he was wonderful. The Character have more sides to find out - and for he is the most difficult to read. Or he was - right now it starts that he has a hard time to hide his true self.

For the C Drama - of course you can watch it - but keep in mind that this is not a remake. The most Characters are so different than they was there. And i love it a lot.

KHN is a very good actor but I don't think he does the fight scenes himself but has a stunt man do the kicking and jumping in the distant shots. Joon Gi does his own stunts and that is why he is an action star.

• Like 15

Ep04 was like a real emotional and mental and breakdown for me! I cried nonstop and was traumatic over the first devastating ten minutes! Despite Wangso being literally victimised by his mother unjust discrimination and prejudice, he went down hell for her just to gain only just that tiny sense of approval or warmth towards him! Yet she cruelly rejects him! I was so astonished by his enduring and faithful power that he could ever do such protective thing to his so-called mother and a bit satisfied that he had this confronting conversation with his mother to draw the line! He collapsed in front of her, he nearly died for her survival, and she repeatedly daggered him with the most disgusting things to hear of a mother to a child yet he opened up freely to her about how wounded and miserable his life was at the Kangs! That was the last thread of hope of her redemption and she cut it! 

Wangso standing back up so firmly declaring himself as the ultimate opponent that will never again be easily manipulated with and to watch out for is remarkable! Their relationship will never be the same afterwards, at least from Wang so’s POV! From now on, she’s the queen and he’s the 4th prince! 

A standing ovation for Joongi's outstanding acting for this memorable scene! The way he shifts me from being traumatic (as he was talking about his agony) to thrilled (when he threatened his mother)  is crazily beyond words!

I love the Wangso's bravery to speak so freely and candidly to his father the king (and mother) about his agonised life at the Kangs giving neither of them that self satisfaction, instead of hiding it for the sake of their reassurance-*rap whatsoever!

Haeso embracing Wangso was more healing than I could ever imagine! He brushes her off and tells her to leave him, forgets him other times yet all these things draws her more to him and tightens her attachment to him! The way she consoles him literally overwhelms me that I even think she fell through time just to save this man from his tormenting agony! And So will compensate her with the love she truly deserves that makes it worth travelling back in time for!

• Like 21

2 hours ago, nearsea said:

Hi everyone..first time posting here..=]]..So I really got curious after watching ep 4..so I wanted to know what's the case with Cha Ryung? Also it seems some real  spoiler was out on the db recap section..so I'm dying to know what it's all about lol.So if anyone who knows can kindly educate me ..of course just put it into the spoiler or PM me if it's inconvenient for everyone else.Thanks in advance :).

Hello @nearsea Good to see you joining the discussion :) 

I'll put this in spoiler even though it's already been put in the thread. Just in case anyone missed it and doesn't want to know. 

Spoiler

In the Chinese version, Ruoxi's maid was a spy for 9th Prince. She told him things about 4th Prince. When Ruoxi found out she was devastated BUT their backstory tempered her disdain. 9th Prince had rescued the maid from being a slave and in gratitude she swore to serve him and only him. She also fell in love with him and he seemed very affected by her death though I'm not sure he loved her to the same capacity. 4th Prince was furious when he found her about her duplicitous nature and had her killed in some horrible way. 

Edit:

And I just noticed we now have three :heart: in our title. Love it. Kudos to whoever put them there. :heart:

• Like 17

I feel like that preview showed scenes backwards. First it showed them trying to organise Hae Soo and Wook's marriage (!) and then it showed 13 telling HS and Wook to just date already (and then subsequently Wook apologises). I think it will go the other way around, right? 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, elviraxxx said:

Random rambling: 

I hope this can answer question such as 'Why doesn't LJK look like a 34-year-old?'

Lee Joon Ki has been successfully finding a time loop, thus he spends most of his lifetime time-travelling. This is also the reason you can see him in A LOT of sageuk dramas. He also spends quite a while living as a vampire (also, in sageuk) [hence the smooth skin even when you're watching him in Ultra HD 1080]. 

That is the only crazy logic and scientific answer I can find for such question :grimace:

And this leaves us, mortals, die for not being able to survive once that lethal jawline cut us :lol:

Stay strong, my heart, we're going to watch him again tonight :love:

Oh gosh... I love your random rambling...

JoonKi indeed look younger in here. So that's why he become younger, that so logic answer hahahaha

And I have to give applause to Kang HaNeul that potray Wook 8th because he look much much older than he is (like person who bear all the burden in his shoulders, holding all his emotion, and just show the good side of himself). Wook 8th and So 4th look like they really born in same year (or can I say So 4th much younger hahaha...)

God I love this thread

• Like 14

1 hour ago, qwenli said:

I really wanted to lift out the dialogue between the King and 4th prince that were highlighted in the China Weibo because it was clear here that Wang So is brilliant in deflecting the traps that the King is setting up for him in the questions:

1) King: Your mother wants to kill the crown prince, your brother Yo is eyeing the position.

4th prince: I have never cooperated with them

comment - he doesnt admit or deny and cleanly sweep that question away as nothing to do with him. To think a further, he is saying he knows about these but it has nothing to do with him

2) King: Then what about the reason for you to go to Shinju, you were there to comfort the deranged Mdm Kang as their foster son.

4th prince: I was never their son, I was a hostage, you should know this better than anyone. 

comment - so there was never a valid reason for him to be aligning with the Shinju clan.

3) King: As what position are you staying with the Crown Prince? As the son of Wang or Shinju

4th prince: I want to be the servant of the court. Not a son nor a brother but a loyal servant.

comment - So is very clear that the King will not buy the reason of being a son or a brother, so choosing the position of a servant/court official is more acceptable.

The king's questions look like choices, but they are actually all traps. However So was quick witted and managed to answer them perfectly without getting himself into trouble and hence convince the King that he can stay behind in the capital.

Oh, yes, I like sooo much the scene in palace with King, CP and Wang So. The king was cunning but Wang So answer was smart. Maybe the scene has attracted less attention but it's highlights that Wang So is not just a very good fighter but a very smart person too.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

It is not primarily for the approval of his mother or for the sake to avenge his mother\s lesser favorite to him. 

Hide contents

In c-version (since it followed most of the novel's )

1. 4th prince is already aiming for the throne but he is discreet about it as much as possible (he is not divulging his plans nor he is very open to his affiliations with the ministers . That is why he and 13th prince are close because 13th is supporting him since the beginning. 

2. He only reveal it to Rouxi (once again, discreetly thru writing the hanja of prince on his palms haha) .

3. 8th and 4th don't approve of the crown prince's ambitious and power trip nature so there was a time in the story that the 2 helped together to oust CP.

4. Interestingly 1st prince was also eyeing for the throne but never had a chance due to misunderstanding of his greed for power . 

That is why, the scenario in SHR is a fresh method of introducing 4th prince's aim for the throne. Quite different because he pledged allegiance to the King/Crown Prince as a loyal subject and not a relative to 3rd prince. We'll see how he would also have the desire to take the throne .

thank u so much @LyraYoo now i see we will have 4th prince different behind story in here....even from the start it's already different since i see so far he has no intention to take the throne... 

and the ship saillllll....... thanks again for the link, how cute he wanna show her that he is different now he even help HS hide herself, but that evil ruin the mood. she should be not in the same scene with the couple. 

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, hiluna said:

KHN is a very good actor but I don't think he does the fight scenes himself but has a stunt man do the kicking and jumping in the distant shots. Joon Gi does his own stunts and that is why he is an action star.

What he saw from the Actor in the Fighting Scenes was great - let me say it like this. Oh I know that Joon Gi is doing it himself - and I know how wonderful he is - but let some praise for the other Actors too... :) I loved KHNs angry Face... when he storms in first. 

• Like 15

!!! This thread moves like lightning, it's so much fun to check on it during the day and find all the analysis, good wishes to the cast and crew, critiques and of course fangirling!! 

I rewatched the episode, this time with subs to prep for the new one tonight, and I love it even more. I have a feeling I'll keep saying this each time a new episode airs but...THIS ONE WAS MY FAVOURITE ONE SO FAR!!

LJK and KHN have delivered from day one and keep on hitting it out of the park! IU is really hitting her stride here, I loved the scene were she was grumbling about having to deliver food to the 4th, and musing about how innocent and lonely he looked on the mountain, quite unlike the raging maniac he was the night before. Perhaps I haven't said it before, but I'll say it now-I find the criticisms of her acting here overly harsh-if you read the negative comments you'd walk away with the impression that she has the acting range of a plank of wood and that is totally unwarranted IMO. I'm really enjoying her work, especially her little sneers and huffs of frustration and geez, why can't I be that pretty when I cry??? 

The scenes between So and Soo were golden!! I kept giggling at Wang So's obvious bewilderment at how plucky Hae Soo always is to him and how amazed/amused/(grateful!) he is that she isn't scared of him. The number of people who've treated him like a person and not some curse or monster could probably be counted on one hand and ugh I want to hug him all over again. 

As annoyed as I was at Jung, he redeemed himself a little in my eyes when he tried to defend So to Queen SeenmySanitylately howeverrrrrrrrr I was side eyeing him in the bamboo forest when he didn't thank So as he had thanked Wook. Real men are gracious and give credit where credit is due, little brother! Speaking of 'little' brother's Eun jumped up a couple of notches in my estimations too. How cute was he in trying to cheer Hae Soo up and in stepping between her and Mean Princess? Hugs for you too, Eun!! 

The hotness of KHN in this episode needs no further elaboration-again I was super impressed with his action scenes! Looking forward to the plot moving even further today-the preview seemed more focused on Soo and Wook, but I'm hoping for more hilarious interactions between Wang So and Hae Soo as well. This is how I like my OTPs...slow burn, with a side of bickering and seeing each other at their worst and still loving the other in spite of it. LESS THAN AN HOUR TO GO!!!

• Like 22