[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Okey, here's my feedback ^_^

I was a little taken aback with the opening scene of an Emperor crying and begging a King, presumably lower than him in rank, over the empress who was about to be crowned. 

Although I know it's a drama, I didn't quite expect that Empress Ki would really start with an Emperor in tears. :lol:

I appreciate that in the first episode, the background of the empress as a child and as leader of her group being shown. I liked it, as well as the colorful attires in that era.  I'm quite amused though that the jackal wasn't recognized right away that he's a she. She must be very good as a crossdresser. Or perhaps, because the males and females are having long hairs, no one is suspecting that the jackal isn't what "he" seems.

As for the plot, I assume that the drama would gloss over the bloody paths to be top guy, or to claim the throne. It would also touch on extracting revenges and retributions later on.

There are many characters, and it would take time for me to remember their names and who they are allied to. Moreover, to accurately pinpoint the ambitious characters that would further their causes either blatantly, or scheme behind the scenes, like that concubine of the former Koryu ruler and Wang Go.

Did I like Empress Ki first 2 episodes? Yeah! I plan to binge watch the rest as soon as I am able to. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

I love how quickly everything moves in this drama. Glad we weren't stuck in the childhood stage for 10000000000000 episodes :D

Ji Chang Wook's character appears so weak and I like it, not one of your typical male leads. Actually it's interesting how different the 2 male leads are to each other, their personalities are almost the opposite. 

Wang Yu - strong, brave, masculine, reliable.

Ta Hwan - weak, cowardly, childish.

Don't get me wrong I like both of them so far, but for different reasons. Wang Yu is already accomplished, he is the type of guy you'd want in the real life. While Ta Hwan is very interesting within the fiction world, because it looks like there is plenty of room for growth. One wonders will it or will it not happen? 

Btw am I the only one who actually likes the background music? :Twerkdatbutt:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, MVM said:

Btw am I the only one who actually likes the background music?

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is...? I think it's beautiful and dramatic, I don't know what others would prefer!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

14 hours ago, MVM said:

Btw am I the only one who actually likes the background music?

13 hours ago, kehrite said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is...? I think it's beautiful and dramatic, I don't know what others would prefer!

12 hours ago, Jillia said:

I don't mind the music either. At least judging from episode 1. But I think it would be nice if they would use more traditional instruments? Maybe it's gonna happen but not sure. Maybe those who know the drama can tell me? :D

Yeah, I was the one who hated the background music. :joy:  In my opinion it's over-dramatic and over-powers some of the dialogue....

I guess people have different preferences. :kiss_wink:

I have to say that I cracked up when the crown prince dude (Wang Yoo?) was teaching Seung Nyang how to play the traditional instrument.

kiwang9.jpg

(credit: Koala's Playground)

Did anyone else except me feel that it was a bit cringe....? haha :D

@chickfactor @MVM @Fandomized Q @joccu @MayanEcho @Sleepy Owl @Ameera Ali @ailanthus @kehrite @Jillia @Lmangla

By the way chingus, please answer the new poll that is up. Some have indicated that they may be ready to watch more than 2 episodes per week, but we don't want to change the rules unless the majority is of the same opinion (to make it fair and square).

So please answer how many episodes per week you are willing to watch. We can always change it later in case we feel that the decision made now isn't working out! :kiss_wink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Jillia said:

and @MVM

I don't mind the music either. At least judging from episode 1. But I think it would be nice if they would use more traditional instruments? Maybe it's gonna happen but not sure. Maybe those who know the drama can tell me? :D

Even though so far I didn't pay so much attention to the music. But the strings were THERE. :lol:

To be honest I am not an expert in Korean traditional instruments, so I am not sure... I know much of it sounds like typical Epic music that is played in historical movies from all over the world.

There are fusion of styles too, like this: 

Pretty sure I hear waltz in this, but also some more traditional notes? As I said however I know next to nothing when it comes to traditional music stuff. Can anybody else shed some light? 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Jillia said:

@MVM

Thank you so much for posting this! :) I think they seem to mix up Western/modern instruments with traditional Korean instruments. I will try to pay a bit more attention in the future episodes. I'm just a big fan of traditional Korean music. It doesn't need to be old-fashioned but there needs to be a balance. But again to me the music so far as has been flowing in the back. There is a lot going on in the episodes. :D

Thank you for clarifying :kiss_wink: I'm tagging @partyon too

It's true that so much is going on in the episodes that I haven't even paid much attention to it, but I've just watched ep 3( will not spoil anything) and I cannot unhear all the background music after all the talk :lol: It's my 6th time watching this drama, but my first time noticing just how much of it is in the drama. Btw I still like it, but I get what you are saying, IT'S THERE!

Also, I get that it's pretty normal to not overdo the traditional music and I think it can actually work. I watched another movie with Ha Ji Won back then called "Duelist" which had a pretty unconventional OST but the movie was also unconventional and pretty independent as well. It probably got the BEST final fight scene (with Ha Ji Won and Kang Dong Won) and with 2 full minutes of no music and then the OST starts and then there is a moment where the traditional music starts and it's MAGIC! I just love that!

Hide contents

Wow I love that sound and the video that comes with it looks pretty cool. Thank you :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

On 8/20/2020 at 6:34 AM, kehrite said:

I watched the first episode and half of the second. Sorry, not to sound shallow but this prince isn’t particularly attractive or charismatic in my opinion, are we seriously stuck with him for 50 episodes…?! Anyway, gorgeous music and I have to say, this black and gold robe at the beginning was stunning. Chaebols in suits can shove off, this right here is my bread and butter!

So, just to clarify when you say the prince is not particularly attractive or charismatic:

Are you talking about this dude?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCY436kkIUIL0ZcePp-S9

Or this dude?

5cc6db17168ba32fd7502837b95647c4.jpg

There's a big difference. :D One is my oppa and the other is not my cuppa (tea).... See what I did there? :D

Did you manage to watch the rest of ep 2?

@MayanEcho So glad that you have decided to pick this show up. :kiss_wink:

@chickfactor Are you also watching this drama? :kiss_wink: What are your thoughts about ep 1 and 2?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, partyon said:

@chickfactor Are you also watching this drama? :kiss_wink: What are your thoughts about ep 1 and 2?

Why, yes I am. How nice of you to ask. :)

Random thoughts:

- I'm overwhelmed by all the great historical knowledge in this thread. Wow! So much to learn. This is the first time I'm watching this series before also do not know much history from this period. It's interesting.

- I'm also unfamiliar with Joo Jin-Mo (Goryeo king) HAWT.

- But I am familiar with Ji Chang-Wook. HAAAAWWWT as ever.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Why, yes I am. How nice of you to ask. :)

I'm so glad to hear that! Yay! Welcome to the thread! :kiss_wink:

Sorry, that I haven't been tagging you in my posts! Not sure if I missed that you were joining, but glad to have you onboard in any case. The more the merrier! :) 

Random thoughts:

- I'm overwhelmed by all the great historical knowledge in this thread. Wow! So much to learn. This is the first time I'm watching this series before also do not know much history from this period. It's interesting.

Have you watched many sageuks before?

This is for me my first sageuk ever, so I am really thankful to all the wonderful people on this thread who are giving us more information about the history. Thank you! :kiss_wink:

- I'm also unfamiliar with Joo Jin-Mo (Goryeo king) HAWT.

- But I am familiar with Ji Chang-Wook. HAAAAWWWT as ever.

WellinformedDeadlyDiscus-small.gif

• Like 2

@partyon the second dude looks like a weakling. :lol: Uhm, sorry if he's your oppa. But I really didn't expect him to give the opening waterworks. Though he's funny asking for dried persimmons.

The first dude...he looks older than the concubine of the abdicated emperor. :D

I like this, but the other one (METS) has more interesting BGM for me. So that one I'll likely finish first, before this.

Gah, I'm nitpicking really. What I want to see most of all are expressive eyes. I'm being biased here, hahaha.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

@partyon the second dude looks like a weakling. :lol: Uhm, sorry if he's your oppa. But I really didn't expect him to give the opening waterworks. Though he's funny asking for dried persimmons.

The first dude...he looks older than the concubine of the abdicated emperor. :D

I like this, but the other one (METS) has more interesting BGM for me. So that one I'll likely finish first, before this.

Gah, I'm nitpicking really. What I want to see most of all are expressive eyes. I'm being biased here, hahaha.

lol :D No worries. I drop dramas even if my oppas star in them. :D 

For me the story is the most important, and I think it will be interesting to see how they came up to the point that the weakling emperor was crying on his wedding day. :) 

• Like 3
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

3 minutes ago, partyon said:

lol :D No worries. I drop dramas even if my oppas star in them. :D 

For me the story is the most important, and I think it will be interesting to see how they came up to the point that the weakling emperor was crying on his wedding day. :) 

So he's your oppa? ^_^

Normally emperors have that macho image. Not crying and certainly not begging someone for his bride before his wedding. There's definitely a story there. :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I'm watching a little bit ahead so I don't want to spoil it too much for anyone, but:

Emperor is a whiny little boy so far. But he is supposed to be a teenager and the story (I think) covers over a decade of time. And there's a reason that he acts more immature than he is, so you'll see.

Also he eventually puts his hair up. HOT.

And the Goryeo king (Wang Yu) later grows a moustache. Very HOT.

(Hey, are you accusing me of being shallow? :lol: Guilty as charged.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

54 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

So he's your oppa? ^_^

Normally emperors have that macho image. Not crying and certainly not begging someone for his bride before his wedding. There's definitely a story there. :)

He’s one of my oppas. Because he has nice abs.

Yes, I’m guilty too.:joy:

Anyway, are emperors always macho in sageuks? You guys seem surprised?

Also, does anyone know if Seung Nyang actually crossdressed in real life or was this a fictional part of the story?

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

The cross dressing part. I do not know. For me it looks like more fiction. But It also could be true. She wanted to know how the world worked. 

I didn't  not remember that the emperor was this much of wimp. I remember the reason. But I had to hold my laughter. :love:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, partyon said:

Anyway, are emperors always macho in sageuks? You guys seem surprised?

Because usually the emperor, good or bad, would have sturdy spine, and oftentimes proud? Not that they won't cry, but this is the first opening scene I've seen that an emperor is crying.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Because usually the emperor, good or bad, would have sturdy spine, and oftentimes proud? Not that they won't cry, but this is the first opening scene I've seen that an emperor is crying.

Yeah @partyon emperors are shown either good or evil. So they are shown to be macho or be strong, arrogant and proud.

When they are good (this is most common case), they are actually shown to be having Political fights with the corrupt ministers (some who want him dead or want to dethrone him). So he needs to act tough and show himself strong. Most of the Sageuks are based on Joseon era and in that era, ministers held more powers, sometimes more power than the king himself. This was the constitution Jeong Do Jeon cleverly made while Joseon was being established. He wanted to limit the King's powers in order to prevent them from becoming a tyrant and so gave more power to the minsters. So even if the King was a weakling, he had to show himself strong in that era, otherwise things would become tougher for him. Some examples of such rulers could be Jeongjo of Jeoseon, Sejong of Joseon, King Sookjong of Joseon.

As for the evil ones, there are usually 3 that come in my mind- Taejong of Joseon, Gwangjong of Goryeo and Yeonsangun of Joseon. Sometimes Prince Gwanghae is also shown evil. Out of these 4 all except Yeonsangun ruled with an iron fist. Killed a lot of people who opposed them (but their rule was quite beneficial to their country), brought some good reforms. So you can imagine how they must be portrayed. Lee Joon Ki last portrayed Gwangjong in "Scarlet Heart". As for Yeonsangun, this guy was crazy and the worst tyrant in the history of Korea. This guy didn't do anything for the country, filled his palace with girls to pleasure him (didn't really matter whether they belonged to noble families or not), killed people etc. 

So all the evil and strong rulers even if unnamed are usually based on the above mentioned rulers. So they are also not shown weakling. 

I would actually suggest you to watch Hyun Bin's "Fatal Encounter" movie in which he portrayed Jeongjo of Joseon. In it it is actually shown that he was suffering a lot but is not showing it because he can't show his weak side to the enemies. I will also suggest you to watch "The royal Gambler" drama and if not whole drama watch the scenes in which Choi Min Soo has portrayed Sookjong. He does not look like a typical, young, clean shaved handsome type of ruler you usually see (that guy portrays older version of Sookjong). But in every scene you'll actually feel the presence of king, that how well he portrayed King Sookjong (who was said to have a strange type of presence and the ministers usually were scared of him). 

So Ji Chang Wook acting as weak ruler is somewhat a rare thing you usually see in the Saeguks. I'll actually have to check to say whether there was another case like this or not. Jumong was also shown to be a weakling in drama "Jumong" and later on he gains the macho type of image.  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Dear

@chickfactor @MVM @Fandomized Q @joccu @MayanEcho @Sleepy Owl @Ameera Ali @ailanthus @kehrite @Jillia @Lmangla

We got 3 votes for 2 episodes, 2 votes for 3 episodes and 3 votes for 4 episodes per week.

So to make things fair, we will change the viewing schedule to 3 episodes per week starting this week!

That allows you to start commenting this Wednesday on episodes 3, 4 and 5 !!!! Yay!!!

The new viewing schedule can be found in the first post of this thread.

:cutekitty:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1

Hi All!

I am considering joining Empress Ki. I always wanted to watch this drama. I haven't watched ep 1-2 yet. But def would like to join the party. 

My one friend LOVES this drama and was surprised I had not watched it yet.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi! I am part of the "The Moon Embraces the Sun" rewatch party as well.

Cheers and take care.

Nodame

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1