[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

5 minutes ago, joccu said:

@partyon you weren´t the only one who wonder the same thing about SN and King love. :wub: Maybe they fell in love first sight and when the king knew that SN was girl.

It's perplexing, though, isn't it @joccu ? I think it's really hard to get on a ship, when you don't even see how they fall in love with each other?
I'm wondering if it is just sloppy writing, or if there is just a sense of loyalty and respect between them (not love actually)?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, joccu said:

@partyon  well usually I don´t ship characters . because when I like some characters together they are totally wrong for each other. But When I watched this the first time I actually shipped SN with tal tal.

Yup, many people did that. You were not alone. I usually don't ship and this I already had seen her marrying in the first episode, so i didn't think there is need to ship her with any one.

@partyon Noona, Danashiri is by far one of the worst characters you'll see. She is initially the spoiled brat of El Temur, who is arrogant. But as you must have guessed, she'll go on to become an evil woman. As for Toghon Temur, nothing can shock me now. He is illiterate, can't defend himself, is virgin. What else is left there? His mother runs a matrimonial agency, literally can tell what type of body can bear child too. Talk about being a pro :rubchin:.

Anyway Noona, as @joccu said, ship anyone you want. 

I don't want anything from this except for a horrible death of this guy. This Yom guy can cry all he wants for what ever happened to his mom and him in past, does not justify his continuous turncoat acts. I don't even remember whether something happened to him till end or not. The type of character he is, he has got no honor. He is a piece of **** who has got the survival skills of a cockroach. Just looking his face makes my blood boil. 

screen-shot-2013-12-17-at-pm-03-28-53.pn

Yes @partyon had to use the same photo as you did because I didn't find any other one. I remember watching this actor in many dramas and never I saw myself not hating the characters he played. He is quite a talented actor when it comes to doing annoyingly evil roles.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

On 9/1/2020 at 7:01 AM, Nodame said:

-I love Ha Ji Won but SERIOUSLY they thought she was a MAN ---really? Not believable she is too PRETTY

But she's wearing pants. :lol:

My thoughts on 6-8:

- Seung Nyang's Father dies. :tears:

- You have to give it to the Emperor. He is very good at playing a dummy. He does really needs to be an idiot to stay alive, or else El Temur (Yeon Cheol) will kill him. So he put on a good show and save his own butt.

I know some don't like that he is a weak idiot, but he's doing what he has to survive. (Good thing he's cute, right?)

- Dang Gi-Se (Tangqishi) is also a real person! Also, he is gross. (Spoiler: he does not change into a good person in future episodes.)

- We also meet his sister Danashri! (Spoiler: she does not change into a good person in future episodes.)

- Yang enters the palace and she gets hazed by the fellow maids! They know not who they mess with! She could kick their butts! (Spoiler: she does.)

- No one should mess with Empress Dowager. (Which you will know if you saw "Sky Castle." Haha.)

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 9/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, joccu said:

Tanashiri oh she so cocky and so sure of herself.  well what can you do whe you father is el temur. Apple doesn´t fall far off the tree.

Yes! All of El Temur's children are evil, just like him.  And Tanashiri's servants/attendants are always trying to please her.  When she's upset, they are upset.  I understand trying to survive in that environment, but I don't see them behaving any different when they are not in her presence.   Perhaps I need to read history from that era to understand the relationships of that time.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 9/5/2020 at 12:09 AM, chickfactor said:

I know some don't like that he is a weak idiot, but he's doing what he has to survive. (Good thing he's cute, right?)

ed35c1e69383e598416b33251e04e587.jpeg

On 9/5/2020 at 12:09 AM, chickfactor said:

- Dang Gi-Se (Tangqishi) is also a real person! Also, he is gross. (Spoiler: he does not change into a good person in future episodes.)

- We also meet his sister Danashri! (Spoiler: she does not change into a good person in future episodes.)

Alright, I'm gonna probably say a very unpopular thing that people will not like, but I actually like Tangqishi more than the king. Love the emperor, but the king is really meh.

I don't get how he and Nyang fell in love. Did it happen during one of the commercial breaks? :D

Tangqishi is very perceptive and it almost feels like he knows Nyang better than either the king or the emperor. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not shipping Nyang with the evil Tangqishi, but I feel like he sees the "real" Nyang better than the other two dudes right now.

On 9/5/2020 at 5:45 PM, Jillia said:

...and I skip the whole trying to save Wang Yoo and Seungnyang scene because the MUSIC! Horrible!) as well by sending them in the direction of Bayan and Tal Tal. Nice

We're getting a full on goodbye scene between Wang Yoo and Seungnyang and weirdly I was feeling it but at the same time I didn't. It's just not my ship, y'all. But I have to admit I like them as partners, even though I find 5/6 episodes too short for me to really believe they're BFFs. But I buy it... for the drama. :)

The music is even worse in ep 11....

gif-angry-britney-spears-dislike-do-not-

See my previous comment about Wang Yoo and Nyang.... Not feeling it.

• LOL 5

11 minutes ago, partyon said:

Alright, I'm gonna probably say a very unpopular thing that people will not like, but I actually like Tangqishi more than the king. Love the emperor, but the king is really meh.

I don't get how he and Nyang fell in love. Did it happen during one of the commercial breaks? :D

Tangqishi is very perceptive and it almost feels like he knows Nyang better than either the king or the emperor. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not shipping Nyang with the evil Tangqishi, but I feel like he sees the "real" Nyang better than the other two dudes right now.

The music is even worse in ep 11....

See my previous comment about Wang Yoo and Nyang.... Not feeling it.

Tangqishi is actually an interesting character for me. Same goes with El Temur, we know he is evil, but a veteran War Lord type of guy, and when people like him try to control things, it is interesting to me. I mean he is not the usual conspiracy master type of guy who manipulates others to work for him, people actually fear him. If I were to compare him to a historical figure, I'd go for General Cao Cao of the Three Kingdom era in China. Can't compare with him completely, but this person also openly influenced the politics of his country and everyone feared him. 

When you say Tangqishi understand Nyang better, you are right and I understand you. As for King and Nyang falling in love, can we say they fell love in 3 seconds? There was absolutely no development as such and to me this looks like more of a lazy writing. 

Watched episode 11, won't comment about the music. Its getting worse by each episode unlike the plot which is getting better. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Sleepy Owl said:

When you say Tangqishi understand Nyang better, you are right and I understand you. As for King and Nyang falling in love, can we say they fell love in 3 seconds? There was absolutely no development as such and to me this looks like more of a lazy writing. 

Watched episode 11, won't comment about the music. Its getting worse by each episode unlike the plot which is getting better.

I feel like oppa and the king are in love with an idealistic picture they have of Nyang. At the moment, it's almost like Tangqishi sees the real Nyang. Not like the other 2 men who see her through  rose tinted glasses.

I know it's a small thing that I cannot really reveal here, but I'm still going to.

IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE UPCOMING WEEK'S EPISODES (9-11), DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER

Spoiler

Tangqishi is an evil dude, but he knew immediately that Nyang wouldn't betray Lady Pak. That's perceptive.

He could have easily told his sister about it, but he chose to protect Nyang by not revealing it to his sister. Instead he gave the task of poisoning Lady Pak to another maid. All of this behind his sister's back.

I'm not saying it's love, but I'm saying that he still understands Nyang's true intentions and colors better than the other two.

Also, is there anyone who likes the music here? I'm gonna create a poll and ask :D

@Jillia @Sleepy Owl @Fandomized Q @faithwalker @chickfactor @joccu @Nodame

A new Empress Ki poll is up.

Several people have asked if we could change to 4 episodes per week (as people are itching to binge watch the drama :D ), so created a new poll about it.

• Love 2
  • Wiggle 1

11 minutes ago, partyon said:

I feel like oppa and the king are in love with an idealistic picture they have of Nyang. At the moment, it's almost like Tangqishi sees the real Nyang. Not like the other 2 men who see her through  rose tinted glasses.

I know it's a small thing and that I cannot really reveal it here, but I'm still going to.

IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE UPCOMING WEEK'S EPISODES (9-11), DON'T OPEN THE SPOILER

Reveal hidden contents

Tangqishi is an evil dude, but he knew immediately that Nyang wouldn't betray Lady Pak. That's perceptive.

He could have easily told his sister about it, but he chose to protect Nyang by not revealing it to his sister. Instead he gave the task of poisoning Lady Pak to another maid. All of this behind his sister's back.

I'm not saying it's love, but I'm saying that he still understands Nyang's true intentions and colors better than the other two.

Also, is there anyone who likes the music here? I'm gonna create a poll and ask :D

Yeah you are right about him being perceptive of her and seeing the real Nyang. Both the King and Emperor have got feelings for her and are biased which of course will mask some of her properties to them. But he knows what she really is because he first looked at her as an enemy and then we can say developed some feelings for her too.

The example you gave fully corresponds with your observation of him. What I am writing below could be a slightly major spoiler of 9-11 episodes.

Spoiler

By the way I am totally in love with Batolu. Didn't realize when I watched first, but Yoo In Young is doing her role and damn she is beautiful even in that armor and those short hair. I really look forward to her screentime in next episodes and see how King will convince her to work with her.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Well, he did figure out she was a woman before the other two guys did. Despite her PANTS. (which I guess are like Clark Kent's glasses?)

There is a Korean namu.wiki article I found about this show that I've been reading (full of spoilers, though). The writers on there are very critical. It's pretty funny.

https://namu.wiki/w/기황후(드라마)/등장인물

They did note that back when the show aired, there was a significant number of people shipping Tangqishi and Nyang together. They called them the "Dang-Nyang" couple. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

@partyon @chickfactor @Sleepy Owl @JilliaWow thanks to you and others for your episode updates.

Last week meant to watch more then last night and today (holiday) watched 5-10 . What a luxury but going to write 5-8.

Others wrote great write ups.

- Glad SN saw her dad again and used her necklace with rings to realize it was her. My heart broke and I cried.  Trusting Togon to only be betrayed and have her dad killed by Wang Ko too and blamed heinous. What a cruel way no eyes, tongue - what a honorable and noble man to meet such an end. The evil traitor to her dad to Wang Ko - concur the actor is good. A cockroach who I am dislike his backstabbing ways. Plus using the lead sword later when fighting Wang Yoo. Uggh.

- The moment Togon betrayed SN, Banyan and Tal Tal were right. Game of survival . Though he wants to honor promise to his only friend SN, he couldn’t say the truth and lie that Wang Yoo did it.

-Tangquishi dang evil indeed but admit he got great  abilities tracking SN saying she is a woman. Then sniffing her like a dog and verifying she was a woman. She is just, honorable and braver than many of the men. The fact she pulled the injured Wang Yoo and tried her best to protect Togon. Her plot to hide him in such putrid and smelly rice coffin to rise from the dead. Lol. Banyan and Tal Tal going along with it. Banyan fails marrying his daughter to Togon and gets sent to border from the smart El Temur. 

- El Temur loving having a puppet in Togon. He can rule behind an illiterate Emperor. Groveling and acting the brainless fool was smart. But being on edge constantly rots. As Temur threatens easy to throne but harder to stay on. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. His daughter though gorgeous is an arrogant , selfish, dramatic bully. Loved how the Empress Dowager enjoys using the palace lessons to try to Tame and eliminate her do fail. Def battle of wits and ego. The scent diffuser making her infertile I saw in a Chinese drama before. Surprised she was not suspicious at all. Or believing that a Togon was smitten by her charms. So when they got married and no action must had been a blow to her ego.

- I agree the Wang Yoo and SN love line- when that happen?! We knew WY felt her feelings like Togon: SN didn’t show much beyond being loyal subject to him never overstepped the line with line. Though WY constantly ignored or crossed the line with SN. But I wouldn’t call it love. The fact when Tangqishi cleaned up SN to a woman , maybe he wasn’t near woman a long time but she definitely was his cup of tea. The fact WY was told about SN being a woman but the traitor was interesting - always calculated moves, but glad he found out. Them swearing to meet again cool but felt a bit trying to be a romantic vow to live to see each other in the future. That vow kept WY alive (Joo Jin Moo looking so smexy.) I Def agree did not feel they love each other. 

-Props to Tangqisi though not book smart he has good instincts in people. The fact he keeps wanting SN he is smitten and obsessed wanting to bed her. She is a hellcat and he loves it. He admires her courage, tenacity and loyalty and abilities proven to more  better than some men. Irrefutably so true so his trying to entice SN to be his concubine will never work. Glad he hasn’t been able to get his way. The head Eunuch is interesting. Ignoring Tangqisi and keeping SN based on being a hunter. 

-I am glad for SN the  bullying did not last long- I am glad she bided her time before unleashing her skills to stomp the bullies down. Grudging respect is good.

- Banyan smartly assessing the Troops at the border needing to defeat the persistent Turks. Perceptive to find out lack of training, food and people. Tal Tal by his side he is saving his neck and later when Wang Yoo is sent there too to survive - crazy.

-Emperor seeing SN thinks of SN in Korea who he thought was released we know he wasn’t. Life sucks for Togon as he cannot breathe and every time told who he has to marry, sleep with or sign documents. Not fun. Forced to sleep with Lady Pak by Empress Dowager. Then his wife wanting relations but he is avoiding it with her is humiliating to her reputation. Aw poor guy cannot get a rest. 

Enjoying the drama and 3 episodes a week for me.

so we up til 8 now . Ok read this 9/8 is 9/10/11 cool.

Edited by Nodame
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I caught up with the episodes!!! :evilelmo:

On 9/7/2020 at 4:44 PM, chickfactor said:

They did note that back when the show aired, there was a significant number of people shipping Tangqishi and Nyang together. They called them the "Dang-Nyang" couple.

:hwaiting2: that's a very fitting name. 

@partyon yep spot on Tangqishi. He is short sighted and rash but when it comes to Nyang , he understood her more than anyone else. 

On 9/5/2020 at 1:35 PM, Sleepy Owl said:

This woman is love. Sad that she is so evil and so is her father. 

YES!!! She is so gorgeous. 

Wang Yoo and Nyang romance was sometimes a hard sell for me. Especially these episodes, they weren't really working for me. I don't know whether it's because I have an enormous bias called 'emperor' clouding my judgement. :crazymad:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Fandomized Q said:

@partyon yep spot on Tangqishi. He is short sighted and rash but when it comes to Nyang , he understood her more than anyone else. 

Wang Yoo and Nyang romance was sometimes a hard sell for me. Especially these episodes, they weren't really working for me. I don't know whether it's because I have an enormous bias called 'emperor' clouding my judgement.

Well done @Fandomized Q Did you also remember to answer the poll? :kiss_wink:

@Nodame @Fandomized Q Seems many here in the re-watch party aren't feeling Wang Yoo and Nyang. It's surprising because I have understood it was the most popular ship back when Empress Ki aired? Correct me if I am wrong, chingus.

Let's see what Tangqishi has in store for Nyang next... I have a sneaking suspicion the dude will really fall hard for Nyang soon....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fandomized Q said:

Wang Yoo and Nyang romance was sometimes a hard sell for me. Especially these episodes, they weren't really working for me. I don't know whether it's because I have an enormous bias called 'emperor' clouding my judgement. 

Let me tell you, gorgeous evil women tend to be more evil than evil women. I am literally finding myself falling for her innocent looks and cuteness and then see myself cursing her for her conspiracies :joy:. But they are both different matters. I'll focus on complimenting her beauty while also cursing her evilness :approves:.

As for Wang Yoo and Nyang, as I said before too, it seems they literally fell in love in 3 seconds. It is actually bad and lazy writing that they suddenly made them in love, at least in Nyang's case. She seemed to be respecting him for the person he was in initial episodes and I never felt her love for him or even she liking him or seeing him as a man. On the other hand we were getting some subtle hints of Wang Yu falling for the "male vers. of Nyang" and then went to love her more knowing her being a girl. But from Nyang's POV, i still find it hard to buy it that she had feelings for him from start. 

29 minutes ago, partyon said:

Well done @Fandomized Q Did you also remember to answer the poll? :kiss_wink:

@Nodame @Fandomized Q Seems many here in the re-watch party aren't feeling Wang Yoo and Nyang. It's surprising because I have understood it was the most popular ship back when Empress Ki aired? Correct me if I am wrong, chingus.

Let's see what Tangqishi has in store for Nyang next... I have a sneaking suspicion the dude will really fall hard for Nyang soon....

Noona, don't wanna spoil anything, but we'll see more of Nyang and Wang Yu in future, so might see an increase in their shippers here too. As I said before too, plot started slow and with some lazy writing, but is getting better. We are yet to see more of Nyang-Wang Yu. 

Tangqishi to me seems more of a cunning warrior and rookie politician. We'll see it in this week's episodes what I mean. El Temur sure is a warlord, but he is a veteran politician too. None of his son seem to have inherited his political skills from him. At least not for now. Danashiri seems to have inherited some of it and seems more cunning than her brother Tangqishi when it comes to in palace politics. 

But as of now, he is the only guy who has known Nyang's intention up until now and has been able to neutralize her plans of "not going the queen's way". 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

Let me tell you, gorgeous evil women tend to be more evil than evil women. I am literally finding myself falling for her innocent looks and cuteness and then see myself cursing her for her conspiracies . But they are both different matters. I'll focus on complimenting her beauty while also cursing her evilness

She is the character I unexpectedly got invested a lot. I love/hate everytime she is on the screen. She's an absolute delight to watch, but her character is just pure evil.

Nyang/Wang Yoo do get some good ship development in future episodes. So I get why they were the popular ship. 

But overall I wasn't too invested on them. I feel like it was mostly because I'm biased :sweatingbullets: and Wang Yoo's character wasn't someone I got invested in

(I was far more invested in other minor characters than I was with him) :sweats:

Also Emperor/Nyang feeds into my ever loving  'strangers-friends-enemies-lovers' trope. 

It might be spoilery so I won't mention names but there was another ship of Nyang I was pretty invested in, that comes later on ---------> Edited: oh it was mentioned in previous replies. It's Taltal/Nyang

• Love 3