[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

@Jillia 51 episodes take too much time to rewatch. Maybe I can just watch the scenes that have Ha Ji Won and/or Ji Chang Wook, and the rest I will skip. :lol: 

@partyon Empress Ki has a good script, great cast, excellent directing, and beautiful music. JCW portrayed his challenging role as TaHwan so well in this drama that I don't think anyone else can do it better. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Well so the episode 9th starts with Toghon Temur seeing Nyang, but getting confused and not recognizing her. I mean, yes, not everyone is as sharp as Tangqishi who can detect anyone's gender by their smell, right? Nyang till now had successfully fooled everyone about her gender, apart from Tangqishi, the doctor and some million viewers I guess. 

So coming back episode 9, we already had seen that Dowager Queen was looking some really suitable concubine for the emperor who would sleep with him and become pregnant. Damn everyone wants Toghon Temur to sleep with the girl of their choice and all our Emperor thinks about is Seung Nyang the boy. Anyway, forced Toghon Temur does sleep with the girl Dowager wanted and she is then delivered out in similar way Cleopatra was delivered inside the castle to meet Ceaser. And well, Dowager Queen can be your that relative who asks you to go to blind dates with girls she recommends and continues asking you when you are going to have baby right the next of marriage. The below meme, pretty much explains her.

tumblr_n4paxcH9M01tv0kybo1_640.jpg

Now coming back, we see our "3 seconds falling in love" dude Wang Yoo beat the s*** out of the most annoying character of the drama. Yes Danashiri is annoying and evil and BEAUTIFUL AND CUTE, but this guy is much ahead of her in being annoying and hateful by a long margin. Yes I am talking about this guy.

screen-shot-2013-12-17-at-pm-03-28-53.pn

And that was exactly my expression while he was getting hit. But well Wang Yoo left him alive, BAD DECISION. The best thing about the fight was, Wang Yoo was already injured in his head, was overpowered by the Yom, but remembering Nyang he goes full rage mode. Never underestimate the power of love. Fast forward, we see El Temur being the good father he is lecturing Toghon Temur that he'll not tolerate his daughter not getting much attention from him.

We see Nyang failing to find exact moments to murder Toghon Temur continuously, then when she finds the perfect moment to kill him, she is stopped by Lady Park. Historical figures in Sageuks and their plot armors always come in as a package. Lady Park does tell her than she understands her hate for the emperor, but also explains to her the consequences of her action which would not just end with her death, but death of all ladies from Goryeo. 

We see Wang Yoo preparing for the battle with Turks and putting up some traps for them. 

Next episode starts with Dowager Queen and Queen arguing over Lady Park becoming concubine. Well did I mention that Lady Park ended up becoming pregnant just when Danashiri was going to punish her for sleeping with emperor. Yes talk about the right timing, she is pregnant and now the question will she be declared as a concubine or not, when ends up happening. But the funny thing, two ladies are talking to emperor about the girl he slept with and making her concubine, while our innocent emperor is busy thinking about the girl fainting in his arms, he's got his priorities right. 

Wang Yoo's plans to trap Batolu and co. is successful and they end up fighting which results in Batolu and his army retreating. El Temur threatens Toghon Temur and makes him sleep with his daughter, which well makes Danashiri realize that Toghon Temur does not like her, not even a bit. And well the very next day Dowager comes and speaks about how she made sure Danashiri not become pregnant. I mean please ladies, give this poor a room. Everyone is making him sleep with girls he has no feeling for.

The other side Wang Yoo finally realizes the actual reason behind the Turks' making noise in front of their camp at night. He tells his guys about his plan not to let the Silk Road end up in the hands of Mongols and sends his Eunuch and other follower to their camp as double agents. 

Danashiri recruits Nyang to poison Lady Park in such a way that she miscarries in return of freeing her from the castle, which Nyang reluctantly accepts. 

Episode 11 sees us Nyang acting as double agent. She follows Queen's offer on one side, informs Lady Park of which of the sweets don't have the poison and makes sure she is not poisoned. Talking about the double agents, we see Wang Yoo's Eunuch and other guy give some useful info to Batolu and help them in war to gain their trust. At night Wang Yoo very smartly signals them of the date and time of attack, which they further use to gain Batolu's trust. 

We know Tangqishi knows Nyang really well and gets suspicious when he sees it is Nyang who is responsible to poison Lady Park. Hires another girl, remember the bully girl, she is hired to also secretly poison lady Park. Which she does quite efficiently. Episode ends with Turks being attacked and Toghon Temur finally realizing Nyang is the court Lady he had doubts about. 

Episode 12 is initially all about Toghon Temur being kind to Nyang and other court ladies in order to make her comfortable. Wang Yoo's plan works and Bayan and co are trapped in Batolu's camp and imprisoned. While Lady Park seems to have miscarried due to the poison given to her regularly. We see some conflict going on. Danashiri wants her dead for faking it all while the Dowager Queen tries to defend her. More than that even El Temur gets involved. But looking at it from other side, it looks to be a plan of Nyang and Lady Park to fool everyone. 

We do see Wang Yoo attacking the camp and putting sword on Batolu's neck with his plan being successful. Well let's see how they'll be going forward. Saw some questions regarding shipping Wang Yoo and Batolu. Why not? Our King is the "3 second falling in love guy" and Batolu is beauty. 

sud2.jpg

Sorry for the long post, I tend to write long. Thanks for reading it :approves:.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

32 minutes ago, Jillia said:

I'm not happy Togon was forced to sleep with Lady Park but Grand Empress Hwang got a point when she says he needs an heir to manifest his power. Especially with El Temur always around the corner.

Actually wanted to comment on this, but somewhat forgot to write about in my post above. 

You see, Dowager Empress Hwang to me looks like is trying to have an upper hand in power in front of El Temur. Danashiri having a son would make things very easy for El Temur and co. But what will she gain from them not having an heir and a concubine having it? More power, not for the emperor, but for herself. 

You see, to me Dowager Empress is same like El Temur. She wants absolute power just like him. There is a scene where El Temur says to his son that he should not mess with Dowager Queen, because she is on par with him in terms of power. Both of them know that the Emperor is not that sharp in politics, is illiterate, can't defend himself and lacks loyal allies. Their method is just different. El Temur is using the iron hand on him and Dowager Queen is showing that she cares a lot for him, but instead she is doing so to have the absolute power. 

That's why there is and should be power balance between both of them. If either of them becomes more powerful, Toghon Temur will literally be a puppet King. Not that he is not one right now, but he'll be controlled more if one of them gets more power.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@partyon Thanks! Getting a simple drivers license was a big ordeal! Glad I took the day off to do it!

@Jillia Yup my first ride on the rodeo. I agree at parts of Empress Ki were not keeping me engaged too. Overall great acting but yup not feeling the burning love between Wang Yoo and Nyang. Both attractive peeps for sure. Thanks for your write up too!

@Sleepy Owl Bravo loved your blow blow by episode write up. I write one entries too when at my desktop .  Please keep them coming! 

Always glad to read what others think. About Lady Pak rolled up and carried to the Emperor. I remember seeing that in a Chinese drama thinking huh? Lol so funny to see this here.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, Jillia said:

@Nodame

Yeah, METS only got 20 episodes to tell their story, so of course the storytelling is tighter. While watching I actually have been thinking if/how Empress Ki would work with 20 episodes. I think it could be possible but I think we will get plots in this drama which actually needs the span of 50 episodes. :D I'm fine with it. I just need to overcome the moment of "Okay but when is the real stuff gonna happen." 

Problem with Sageuks of this length is the same thing. Makes the viewer wonder when the "Actual plot" will start. I mean with all these sub-plots, some really would not actually have much significance to the story. But then again, Sageuks usually require to be long enough for the developments to happen. But the sad thing here is, despite being ideally long, we didn't the proper development in Nyang-Wang Yoo loveline. It just happened. :isannoyed: 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Alrighty, time to post some thoughts about ep 13-16.

I'm on a roll, and I had to stop myself from binge watching further.... hahah :D

In any case:

• Ep 13 started out with Nyang telling oppa "I will do nothing for you" with contempt in her eyes. I have a feeling she's gonna eat up her words later.
  • The re-examination scene was interesting, even though I really wanna know how they feel the slippery pulse now :D
    Can we all be proud of Nyang for a moment? She saved the concubine and the baby (at least for now)? What a twist! Well done! And she was promoted too! Not sure she was too happy about her position because now she has to spend even more time with oppa - lol

46f4dc_f2f7cf714aa9434f9d8431fa41fc6f41.

• Tangqishi showed once more how perceptive he was, but gosh, I was happy to see his evil sister Danashiri have to grovel and beg. Serves you right!!!!
    Can we have more scenes like this please? :joy:
  • Nyang's feverish and drunk dreams are weird. And why does oppa always have to hear her call out Wang Yoo's name.... :(
    She displays almost like an obsession over him, no? She has this fix idea that she will serve him forever, but life is not like that. Things change, people change, situations change....
  • Oppa is so volatile....He can be sweet and caring to Nyang, in the next second he's bossing her around, in the third second he's being mean to her.
    Sigh
    He really would need some therapy to learn how to self-soothe, no?
  • The soccer game was so funny! :D All the ladies love Wang Yoo - even Danashiri. I can see how this would affect oppa's self-esteem.
  • 46f4dc_ff377f251b6b474cb5dd6979e5e834bd.
  • I love oppa's eunuch. They have such an awesome chemistry! So funny. :D
  • I really felt quite sorry for oppa in ep 16. It really showed how alone he is in the world. He had no one there to console him after the unbelievably degrading scene El Temür put him through. So I was glad to see Nyang despite some hesitation at first, decided to stay with him.
    I think she finally realized that they are not so different from each other. Both lost their fathers due to evil people, and both were forced to grow up in unfavorable conditions.

46f4dc_36ef5a851e7347509855ae7597ffe83f.

Yeah, you see that Wang Yoo? You told her to stay away from you - this is what you get! 

What I learned from these episodes is that "granting someone her imperial favors" is not as innocent as it sounds... :joy:

• Love 3
  • Thanks 2

@partyon  I hear you. I had some time and watched them during the weekend as I did not go out Saturday. But then I knew I would forget so I had to type it up.

Great pics and post!

Empress Ki 13-16

-Yes, Nyang learns Wang Yoo is alive and back though Togon tried to drag it out for her to not know. He wanted to see her but was disappointed not to see her. The Queen totally on the WY crush hearing a passionate man like an animal. She is wanting attention and hearing that she is intrigued. Seeing her dress up and force her way to private audience with Empress Dowager, Togon and Wang Yoo was funny. Then her excited about WY vs Togon and cheering for WY. She drank the WY juice and even tried to get an apology for his rudeness to her. But he said she owed one for slapping him.lol. His playing the instrument to reciting a poem Togon deemed boring not both Empress and Queen agreed was well done. Togon have a hissy fit of jealousy was funny.

-Seeing Lady Pak hid her pregnancy when accused she was lying was strike of genius. Now officially pregnant and no longer lady in waiting all is left to birth a son. Still to get to that point was a doozy. Glad the laurel extract by YH was minor. Then having the Eunuch take out the licorice to prevent a natural miscarriage. TQ was upset when his sis and their plans failed and spreading the fake pregnancy ruse rumors.

Queen kneeling in the rain for forgiveness. Wow amazed she didn’t get really sick. Foiled by Nyang and head eunuch who helped Lady Pak.

-WY letting General Batalou go was smart. Then when General Banyan and Wang Yoo got awards was awesome. Give props to El Tumur he respects WY but keeps him at distance . Tangqisi maybe ruthless but none of his dads political acumen but strong in combat and detective /sleuthing skills.

-Tangqisi after hearing from Nyang she will never go to as he killed her mom. He realizes he got it bad. He told her only you should cry over me (oh brother.) Then reminds her his power over her life, I can kill you anytime but choose not to.

-WY teasing El Tumur looking for the Blood Vow of Togon’s dad was poisoned not dying through illness was shock for Togon after finding from Empress Dowager. From using blood appeal (SN smart to have Lord Zhang slip on ice to make the switch). Then the disappearing ink and nonsmudging ink proved successful 

-WY and SN romance vibes now was weird. He not really but from SN ok. When he told her to not help their cause now he doesn’t want to endanger SN. She of course still does due to Eunuch Bang. Love he is BFF with the head Eunuch. When WY found out she helped them he yelled at her to leave and he would never see her again. To give the cold shoulder killed him but he feels that will keep SN safe. Cause being caught in the crossfire the emperor or him cannot save once caught.

Wang Ko got nada from Yuan and surprisingly tells WY the truth of some matters. But WY gives all his money to the Koryo village with the plague. Just desserts evil Byung Soo got it, just don’t happy as he is pure evil.

Togon getting Nyang drunk and teasing her with her memory black out later about her actions . Him saying she has to be within three steps of him. Gosh annoying. Reading aloud to him nightly too. But trying to annoy WY having her clean his ears in front of him. Sigh. Childish and always wanting her attention . The Eunuch knows only Nyang is tolerated by Togon - to comfort him (after El Tumur upsets him), put ointment on Togon etc.

El Tumur is one guy interesting mix ambition , control and assimilation with the throne and stating he got three men on the stage as his puppets sigh.

The initial soccer practice Togon wasn’t good and SN showed off her skills. So to see them even up the score tie before the crucial tie breaker point both have SN in the brain. Togon adds SN off limits. Gosh both are fiery passionate about her.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

@Nodame Great thoughts! :kiss_wink:

You know Danashiri is so spoiled. Everything she does she blames on others. "It's his fault that I am doing this. He made me like this..."

Sounds like a narcissist to me....

I also forgot to say that ep 14 had the wildest rock music so far. :joy:  When Wang Yoo was breaking into the Pavilion of Women, this rock song comes on.

I lost it. :joy:

Dying Laughing GIF by memecandy

EDIT: not literally of course :joy:

Also, this scene..... Just sayin'

46f4dc_c292dda0d2014ee98b57f21630cdcf8c.

46f4dc_1af94c45937e4f2a83239c39a5f308b6.

• LOL 6

Thanks  @partyonTrue the Emperor smelling her handkerchief was a bit creepy not going to lie especially she is not aware of it. UGGGGH.  I Hear you on Danashiri 100%. She is full of it. It is that ego/pride that keeps her going.

I TOO was tempted to go on as well. I had to type my thoughts or I would forget. LOL. Plus at home I have no laptop so typing on my cell is painful. LOL.

Looking forward to everyone else's in the rewatch write ups too.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Alright Chingus, so I am done with 13-16 and here is are my thoughts along with some summary of those episodes. It is a long post, I am too lazy to write for each episodes differently or for two episodes separately, so I sit and write everything in one go and together. 

EDIT: But I did divide the post into two separate as this one already was very long (not that it is not long right now though).

So episode 12 had finished with a major cliffhanger, must have been hard for many to not go for the 13th episode immediately, in my case it was sleep which had the higher hand and once you stop the momentum, then it becomes easier to wait and watch the next episode.

Episode 13 starts with Lady Park getting examined in front of everyone, El Temur, Danashiri and co. being very much positive of their plan being a success, while Dowager worried about her political loss to El Temur, which could lead her in losing her political status and ending in temple as nun. But did we really think it would go their way? :rubchin:.

I mean we had Nyang acting as double agent, what else could go wrong for them, it was already hinted that Nyang and the chief of court maids, had doubts about the "bully court lady" and well they were quite successful in fooling everyone. 

Result? Public humiliation for them. The situation completely overturned and now the Dowager Queen had upper hand. She openly accuses the Queen and holds her accountable for everything. To which El Temur agrees and tells that her punishment should be traditional groveling. This is exactly what I like about El Temur. This guy knows exactly when to take one step back. Does punish his own daughter, despite being the true power behind the throne, he could actually go on and argue about the involvement of queen in all incidents and other stuff, but decided to not to take the risk and to me it also looked like his way of teaching Danashiri that she has to pay for the consequences of her actions, and so must be more careful in future with her plans.

Anyway, we see Danashiri performing the traditional groveling, Empress Dowager not letting Toghon Temur stop her doing it before she thinks it right to, and well, something happens, which always happens in such scenes. Yes, the rain, it starts down pouring which adds to misery of Danashiri. Well madam, you had it coming with all your evil plans. Finally Dowager Empress agrees to let Danashiri leave in exchange of making Lady Park a royal consort, to which I don't really he agrees initially or not, because we don't see Danashiri leaving, not until she fainting and getting carried back to her room, and Lady Park is not an imperial consort. 

On the other side in battlefield, Bayan and co. are freed by Wang Yoo who fools them by saying that he killed Batolu and that the war is won by them. Real Batolu is left free, having made an alliance with Wang Yoo to control the Silk Route and also hinting towards them meeting again. 

Back in palace Nyang now serves in the palace, plus she has a plot armor in the name of "letter from queen", which had prevented Tangqishi hurting her and also questioning himself whether he was falling for her or not. Anyway, he plans to kill her, Emperor's men bring down the guy who supposed to seemingly kill her, and take her to Emperor. Toghon Temur again very shamelessly burns Nyang's permission to leave the palace granted by the Queen. Now I do understand he did for her, but that was harsh. Sir, you can't do these things and expect to suddenly fall for you (not gonna happen again, she already fell in love suddenly with Wang Yoo). Toghon Temur thinking Danashiri being behind all this storms in her room and scolds her all he wants.

Now that scene actually makes me wonder more, what would have happened if Toghon Temur had looked at Danashiri differently from the start. You see, to me Danashiri looks like a person who actually wants to be loved by Empreror genuinely, but him not doing it is making her do crazy stuff. Agreed she was a bratty girl since start, was arrogant being a warlord's daughter, but we have seen such women changing if being loved by the King and siding with him instead of the father. The reaction she gave, when she heard Toghon Temur was coming to see her, she changing her clothes soon and putting on make up just to look pretty for him and thinking he comes out of concern for her was very correctly portrayed. Now I am not saying she should not be held accountable for her actions, but there are scenes which very well portray Danashiri as a love seeking woman and not an evil woman. Some scenes actually showcase her innocence which she still has despite being evil. So she is not a regular evil women we have seen who are all about scheming new plans, she is seen to have an innocent side, a humorous side and a side which longs for love, which makes her seem more natural. She is evil because of her own reasons, despite that still manages to keep those qualities, is something I am loving her character for. She is not the typical evil woman, she is evil, but different. Plus I actually love how they portrayed her, a pretty woman, with innocent looks and still evil, which is rare in Kdramas. So far, for me both Danashiri and El Temur have been the most interesting characters of the drama. 

Coming back to story, Nyang starts working in Palace, Toghon Temur makes her accompany him all the time, makes her read him stories all night, but she still insists to be allowed to leave to be with Wang Yoo who is her true King. She is informed about Wang Yoo's death as the news of them being defeated by the Turks is spread all over the palace, she becomes sick, Emperor visits her and is being informed about the victorious arrival of Wang Yoo and co. from battle.

Now in episode 14th Wang Yoo arrives in the palace, with all rumors spread about him for being a man of wild desires and being a womanizer, but his arrival is accompanied by all the court maids fan girling over him. They meet up with the Emperor who commends their efforts and gifts them riches for their achievements. Nyang comes to know about Wang Yoo's arrival and rushes to see him, and then something like this happens, which is not less than a WTH moment.

4709254d63128864941be6e460f8dbbe.jpg

Anyway, Wang Yoo asks his men to look for Nyang and his Eunuch tells him about having a friend in the palace, which would help in finding her faster. Wang Yoo and Emperor have a private meeting, where they discuss over Nyang and literally verbally fight over where she would be happy? In the palace in Yuan or in her country Goryeo.

Bang Shin Woo (Wang yoo's Eunuch), meets up with his friends who happens to be the chief of maids in palace or whatever it is called. Through him he meets Nyang, sets up a meeting for her and King in the temple in the evening. Of course this meeting will have to fail, as on the other hand Dowager Empress puts pressure on Danashiri for not being pregnant and her servant suggesting her to bow in the shrine for 108 times in moonlight to get pregnant with a boy, unknown to both of them that Dowager's plan to make her infertile has been success for now because of the small gift she sent her. 

So comes the evening, we see Danashiri bowing in the shrine, Nyang unable to leave because of the arrival of drunk Emperor, who sort of forces himself on her before coming back to his senses and Wang Yoo arriving at the place on time after spending a lot of time on his looks. This end up in a bad intro to both Wang Yoo and Danashiri. She does recognize him unlike Wang Yoo, they have some not pleasant talk which results in Wang Yoo getting slapped and stopping the second slap which results in Danashiri leaving. 

We see a flashback of Toghon Temur's father being poisoned by El Temur. Him openly poisoning him was very savage, but before that, it seems like the old Emperor does write some vow and hide it, which El Temur is now after.

In a party held for the war heroes, Wang Yoo finally meets Nyang, Emperor observes this and does not like it. He ends up drinking a bit too much. Wang Yoo also realizes that it was the Queen with who he had encountered during the night time. The party was mostly about Wang Yoo and Nyang stealing glances before being asked by the Dowager to play Geomungo for them as he is talented in playing it. He does it and impresses others more especially the Dowager Empress and Danashiri. Party abruptly ends when one of El Temur's guy is found hanging in the library who was killed and disposed by Tal Tal the night before.

Wang Yoo is informed about the plague in Goryeo resident village, and hints about the death of the guy found in library being related to there, Wang Yoo tries to visit the village, but is rudely stopped and sent back the village foreman. Episode ends with Wang Yoo and Wang Ko joining forces with Wang Ko being out of favor by El Temur, Wang Yoo entering the palace, Nyang running somewhere, Emperor searching for Nyang and all this happening with rock metal music playing in the back ground :crazily:.

I continued the reviews/thoughts about the next 2 episodes in the next post.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Our Emperor can´t seem to win. He should first grow up and then to try impress Nyang.

El temur still know´s how to hold the power. Even if he´s losing some battle´s. 

this is like and cat and mouse game. :joy:

One thing I have to say I love all the supporting actors/actresses. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Episode 15 starts with Wang Yoo hiding Nyang in a room or library with the Emperor searching for her. They have a talk, Nyang offers to help, but Wang Yoo declines it worrying about her safety. He leaves, Nyang does the same. But we see a creepy side of Emperor while this happens. He in Nyang's chamber, sees her handkerchief, smells it continuously thinking about Nyang, which actually is not cool sir . 

This actually made his innocent image fade away for me, ladies beware of guys like this, they are dangerous. 

Wang Yoo decides to use the appeals in order to provoke El Temur. His eunuch seeks Nyang's help about which Wang Yoo is kept in dark. Wang Yoo also has a lunch with Dowager Empress, which is attended by an uninvited guest call Danashiri, about whom I am sure is having a crush on Wang Yoo, 100% sure about it. Well, everyone loves Wang Yoo, from Dowager Empress to El Temur, and he has got everything which Toghon Temur lacks except for the throne of course. So when Dowager Empress sings Wang Yoo's praises, Toghon Temur too tries to impress everyone, which results in total destruction within 10 seconds. To me, this scene was the most hilarious of the drama so far. So something like this happened 

Spoiler

08219rf.png

Spoiler

daCaFsG.png

Spoiler

AkN2CFe.png

Toghon do apply cold water on the burned area . :popcornjackson:

His poem does also end not in a good way since he forgets the last bits of it, and Danashiri didn't look to be in the mood to hold back. She just like most of the language teachers, asks the same question they would after we would be done reciting our poem 

Spoiler

vp6XsNN.png

The drama suddenly becomes a sports drama with Toghon Temur deciding to defeat Wang Yoo in soccer/football which he has been playing since his childhood is sort of pro in it. They go for the practice, Toghon Temur brings up the combination of his inner Messi and Ronaldo, and defeats his Eunuchs single-handedly. But when he challenges Nyang for it, she gives him the reality check and he sort of realizes that Eunuchs were merciful to him getting defeated like that. 

The episode then continues with Yom Byung Soo getting infected by the plague, King distributing his riches among the residents of Goryeo village and Nyang being successful in sending the written appeal to El Temur. Finally we see the football match happening, Danashiri rushing to the see the match, and not so secretly cheering for Wang Yoo.

The football match ends as tie with Toghon Temur injured while trying save the goal. I mean seriously, how weak this guy really is. El Temur aggressively searches for the one who is provoking him. Meets up with Wang Yoo and somewhat gets convinced that he has not done it. Tangqishi again realizes his father's fondness towards him and sort of feels insecure about it, so much that I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks that his father will adopt Wang Yoo. Great to see Tangqishi losing out to Wang Yoo with Nyang and his father both.

Wang Yoo pulls another trick to provoke El Temur. Which makes El Temur take the throne to himself, make Toghon Temur beg for his life and make him live silently without doing anything. We see Toghon Temur breaking down, and needing help to be taken out while holding him left side of chest which hints towards his weak heart condition. The episode ends with Nyang comforting Toghon Temur and Wang Yoo looking at them from far.

To me the latest 4 episodes were mix of boring and exciting. I would see myself fast forwarding many scenes, but watching some scenes carefully. The story so far is fine, I think we are seeing much more development in Wang Yoo-Danashiri relation than in Wang Yoo-Nyang. Don't remember whether there were some people who shipped Wang Yoo and Danashiri, but she sure is having a huge crush on our Goryeo King. Thank you for reading the long post.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, joccu said:

Our Emperor can´t seem to win. He should first grow up and then to try impress Nyang.

El temur still know´s how to hold the power. Even if he´s losing some battle´s. 

this is like and cat and mouse game. :joy:

One thing I have to say I love all the supporting actors/actresses. 

To me the he is the weakest character right now. I mean he sure is weak politically with only Dowager Empress giving him support, which is also for her own benefit. But when he is cornered like that, he actually needs to try and grow up. The least he can do is try to be mature and do something productive. Maybe ask Nyang to teach him read or write instead of teasing her all day. 

So far, he looks hopeless. Not saying he should stand up against El Temur, but he needs to try to at least become some one worthy to rule. 

As for El Temur, this guy does not hesitate in using his power, it is one of the main reasons I like this guy. Knows how strong he is, knows when to retreat and when to attack. 

I love everything till now... not you Toghon, please grow up, but hate the music. I mean who really is the sound director here?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

How can the music be so bad in this drama? :joy:

Kim Jang Woo (aka Jay Kim) is the composer. Was his music equally "interesting" in other dramas like Shall we have dinner?, Doctor Stranger, Mr. Back, Bad Guys, Mr. Black etc.?

Wonder what happened to him? Seems that he hasn't been working at all since 2015...?

• Shocked 2
  • LOL 1

3 hours ago, partyon said:

How can the music be so bad in this drama? :joy:

Kim Jang Woo (aka Jay Kim) is the composer. Was his music equally "interesting" in other dramas like Shall we have dinner?, Doctor Stranger, Mr. Back, Bad Guys, Mr. Black etc.?

I actually liked the music in Doctor Stranger, Bad Guys. Can't say much about the other 3, Mr. Back's music was also not bad as far as I remember (watched it long ago). 

3 hours ago, partyon said:

Wonder what happened to him? Seems that he hasn't been working at all since 2015...?

I think the "confidential information" about him being the man behind Empress Ki's music got leaked :rubchin:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Hello All!

I am dropping this off as I had written this when I watched the episodes. I knew I would forget otherwise juggling all these dramas on my rotation.

Love the thoughts by @Sleepy Owl I agree about the Queen she is a mix of innocent and evil but she could have been fine if Togon looked at her well---I feel the same for METS (rewatch) I am watching too. I am not loving Togon's character either at the moment.

Here is my submission for this week's watch :

Empress Ki 17-20 

-The Queen is funny and so full of it on her crush on Wang Yu. She actually thinks WY likes her?! Dang her obsession and cheering him during that soccer match. Also thinking the Shadow Puppet show the Emperor wanted for Nyang she invited WY and assumed (wrongly) it was for her. Seeing Nyang being literally pulled both ways by Togon & WY grabbing her hands. Lol. Count on clueless Queen to not see it and make her step back. Later to see her ask for WY help to find the actual people who wanted to poison ( with really poisoned wine) for  her father.

-Togon upset at Nyang interacting with WY. His really absurd orders you will die if you smile, cry, laugh in front of WY. Oh please petulant Togon. But before that she helps Togon while helping WY too. 

WY uses Togon’s death vow search and creates a ruckus from disappearing ink (from Magicians from the West) they were all killed darn it El Temur is ruthless. WY playing on his not seeing his enemy and playing on his fears, he then unleashes rats by the hundreds onto the palace from the Koryo village. Interesting to learn toad skin is a strong drug to collect them. We learn the strict leader is the missing head Eunuch Jokho. My fave evil guy Yom feels its suspicious there and pretends to join them. Funny when he tried to listen to WY men chat with the leader, the leader poked him the ear. Lol! From the former fave lady (crazy one) staying with Nyang is from Koryo and when sane admits Jokho has the blood vow.

El Temur admires WY and definitely liked their board game and his admiration of him further fueled his son Tangqisi jealousy and suspicion. WY using the fake poison Western wine and tested in Tangqisi was brilliant. But spies upon spies Togon with backbone and quest to rid WY, uses Banyan with Tal Tal’s brainpower to switch the bottle with real poison to blame WY.  I mean making a quick impression to make copy of key & preparing the wine- very smarty indeed. Banyan lucky to have such a bright nephew. You got to admit faking a death to see who your friends and foes are was a brilliant idea.

WY again wanting to try everyone talks to Empress Dowager appealing you her as coming clean about the posters. Hehe. Then using El Temur two bickering men who dislike each other with dangling offer of regent. Then she upset Banyan and Tal Tal who ‘killed’ El Temur & got no award.

Thanks to Nyang visiting the other Koryo friends she witnessed bean soup pass by and from Head Eunuch the Empress Dowager is allergic to beans. We learned in the past she made it for El Temur as way to build up tolerance to poison. Sneaky. It’s like constant back stabbing and cat and mouse galore. WY hedging bets everywhere to try to be King of Koryo again. So exciting she realized El Temur was alive to warn the new partnership of disgruntled Banyan/Tal Tal with WY. Then Togon being not as a weakling saying Nyang was right and execute El Temur now!

The script pushing WY and Nyang as an item. I mean the longing looks from WY yes and Nyang a bit better.  WY not wanting Nyang in harms way but you know she is not sitting in the sidelines. Genius to have the blood tears in the Buddha image. Also when she was punished after Tangqisi tricked them to punish her and WY. No one can have her if he cannot be with her. Her torture and later WY asking for Nyang in favor of his support IF he can be reinstated as King of Koryo. Good he took her away and even when Togon wanted her , she was no longer a court lady. WY personally caring for her, confession to her was sweet. Their embrace on the bridge & her pledges to return and be by his side until they go back to Koryo. She is a loyal subject. When he lied and told her he didn’t care or wanted her help, it hurt him. So that shadow puppet scene he was reinstating /taking back his harsh words to Nyang then.  I liked how WY admitted he didn’t know her past. When he cried regretting 15 yrs woman and daughter as concubines got beat and released and possibly daughter died he truly regretted. So when Nyang confesses then he realized ooh that’s why you disguised as a man. Loved her not wanting to be relegated to cleaning and cooking to make sure her archery skills weren’t lost. 

While Nyang is gone Togon drinks and confronts Nyang why not him. I was wondering when he would ask. So when he found out who her dad after saying just saying his family were duly compensated. He had no words to retort back. The kneeling in regret and pain. Hearing Nyang was consumed with thoughts of killing him, he let her kill him. Glad Lady Park told her if he died all those from Koryo would perish. So thanks to her telling her that, Nyang did not kill Togon. Cause and effect no clean revenge/  as there is no simple answer.

Funny the montage of Togon  memories with her as she put the hairpin for WY. I loved how she played off to him not wearing it first thing in the day but later halfway through the day. She knows how to make an impact. as she wore it though it did not match her outfit. Oh what a tease! Poor WY was heartbroken when Nyang came out without it first thing in the morning. How WY was teased by his crew about the pretty pin and his happy smile and Nyang willing to be his Queen after she wore it. I mean duh doesn’t match her more masculine attire. Then mandatory scene of them kiss being together overnight. So I foresee her getting a child perhaps? 

I liked Togon’s newer outfits and very colorful now in these episodes. Tangqisi being evil and annoying. The crazed lady in waiting was interesting so I feel she is in there for us to go back to the blood vow storyline? When will Yom be punished? Still upset whenever I see his conniving face on screen!

Tal Tal so handsome and not lying love seeing him there when I can. WY is so handsome, manly and stoic. When he picked up the Queen from the rats, she was reluctant to let go and get out of his arms. Lol. But cannot blame her! I mean Togon was jealous that he overpowers him as the ‘man’ image to all the women. 

• Love 3