Event: What's Your Kdrama Veteran Status?

Sleepy Owl

What's Your Kdrama Veteran Status?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many of these Kdrama experiences have you unlocked?

• 1 point if you know what andwae, saekkiya, saranghae, jinjja, gwaenchanha and jamkkanman means
    • 1 point if you've seen more than 10 Truck of Doom scenes
    • 1 point if you catch yourself saying "aigoo", "omo" or "ya!" IRL
    • 1 point if you adopt a new oppa/noona every time you watch a drama
    • 1 point if your favorite eomma is "Healer ahjumma"
    • 1 point if you've watched kpop bands parody famous kdramas
    • 1 point if you know SHINee's song "Almoooost Paaaaradiiiiiise"
    • 1 point if you wonder what happened to Yoon Eun Hye - she used to be one of your favorite actresses
    • 1 point if you watched Jang Nara in Successful Story of a Bright Girl, FTLY and one of her recent drama
    • 1 point for pulling an all-night kdrama marathon
    • 1 point for having an oppa as your background pic on your phone/computer
    • 1 point if Lee Min Ho has ever been your oppa
    • 1 point if you know who said "If You're Handsome, You're My Oppa!"
    • 1 point if you watched a grim reaper and a goblin strutting down the road in the most epic "save the heroine" scene
    • 1 point if you've become immune to wrist grabs and kimchi slaps and don't bat an eyelid if a scene comes up
    • 1 point if you've FFed kdrama episodes only to focus on your scenes of your ship
    • 1 point if you had a sandwich at Subway
    • 1 point if you remember when EVERY kdrama ML had a bowl cut
    • 1 point if your first kdrama was BOF, Coffee Prince, You're Beautiful, Goong or Full House
    • None of the Above
  2. 2. How many of these Kdrama experiences have you unlocked?

• 1 point if you watch sageuks - and enjoy them
    • 1 point if you know what the "Cola kiss" is....
    • 1 point if you ALWAYS get second lead syndrome
    • 1 point if you nowadays say "aah, the weather is nice" - even if it's cloudy
    • 1 point if you've deceived yourself by saying "just one more episode"
    • 1 point if your friends have at some point found you weird for watching kdramas (before kdramas became mainstream)
    • 1 point if you used to read recaps on Dramabeans
    • 1 point if you remember what it was like having to wait for English subs - sometimes for days
    • 1 point if you know what it means when someone invites you to their place for "ramen"
    • 1 point if you remember DramaFever
    • 1 point if you watched the RAW episode on live stream
    • 1 point if you know how Something Happened in Bali ends
    • 1 point if you rewatch your favorite kdramas from time to time
    • 1 point if you started on "What's Wrong With Secretary Kim" but dropped it
    • 1 point if you have watched at least one weekend drama (with 50 episodes or more)
    • 1 point if you have watched at least one long sageuk (with 50 episodes or more)
    • 1 point if you have watched a daily
    • 1 point if you watched and completed at least one of the following masterpieces - Mouse, Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce), Penthouse, Alice
    • 1 point if one of your wild theories in Kdrama actually turned out to be true
    • None of the Above
  3. 3. How many of these Kdrama experiences have you unlocked?

• 1 point if you have tried any of the PPL products shown in dramas
    • 1 point if you indefinitely paused a drama but have not officially dropped it
    • 1 point if you have used your favorite Kdrama OST as your mobile ringtone
    • 1 point if you know who Rebecca is
    • 1 point if you can recognize the kdrama (you are watching) referencing a well-known scene or line from another Kdrama/show
    • 1 point if you correctly guessed the bad guy in a psycological thriller
    • 1 point if you watched dramas on watch-party on Viki
    • 1 point if you watched a drama you actually regret not dropping
    • 1 point if you have rewatched Secret more than once
    • 1 point if you skipped classes/work to complete your binge-watch
    • 1 point if you notice and pay attention to background details like wardrobe, tables, tiles, and other set items.
    • 1 point if you turned one of your friends/siblings into a kdrama watcher
    • 1 point if you turned one of your friends/siblings into a kdrama watcher
    • None of the Above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2024 at 02:00 PM

***  I can’t call myself a beginner because somehow I know certain terms in K-dramas and familiarity with tropes, but I can’t also say I’m veteran because there’s so much to learn more about K-dramas.  I’m still challenged with reading subtitles. I guess I can say I’m just in between – Watching K-dramas most of the time, I have developed specific preferences for certain genres. I often more willing to invest time and patience in following my oppas' dramas despite how slow/fast-paced it is. I appreciate directing, cinematography, acting, and screenwriting in the dramas I’ve watched but, I honestly can say I focus more on the overall entertainment value.  I rarely rewatch my old favorite dramas but, I've tried it once in a while. I’ve watched Crash Landing on You, What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim and The King: Eternal Monarch more than 2x. Most of them I watched it only once, which I always do - it's not that I love them any less, though.

I got a total of (34) points –  :popcornjackson:

Kdrama Connoisseur (31-40 points) - You are a devoted kdrama watcher, a go to go person to get recommendations on the dramas, since you watched many (including the bad ones)

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 3

20 minutes ago, newrocher22 said:

17 points...Rising Fan...

@newrocher22  This is fine - As you go along, everything will be fascinating in it's own way. Although some are fantasy or sci-fi but their stories are different and new in their own world. My journey in K-dramaland was also fascinating. The first year was magical because one thing that attracts me to one drama or movie  was cinematography. The amazing visuals, which made me feel and said wow. Would you believe that I haven't dropped any of the dramas I've watched ever since I became a K-drama fan? I was always in love with the dramas I've watched.   :biubiu:

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

On 9/9/2024 at 6:03 PM, maribella said:

Yes I wonder what happen to Yoon from Goong. But I don’t know who Rebecca is. 

Let me introduce the legendary Rebecca to you :glasses:

welcome-to-waikiki-the-whole-world-road-

On 9/9/2024 at 9:48 PM, partyon said:

41 points 

Noona, I got the same score as well spy-family-anya-evil-smile-spy-family.gi

On 9/10/2024 at 12:43 AM, partyon said:

@ferily chingu will get a point for this one as well - I know how much she loved this brain transplant show masterpiece Mouse!

Even I got a point for the hot mess masterpiece Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)

Noona, at least @ferily Chingu only watched Mouse (hopefully), and @LeftCoastOppa Chingu only watched Alice if I am not wrong, with you watching Love (ft. Marriage and Divorce)

I watched all three 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952m6w2q2ydqf574w0v62

On 9/10/2024 at 1:22 AM, Rollito Deprimavera said:

Wow, I remember waiting for the subs for days and watching the raw episodes when I was very hooked

I have not waited for several days, but I surely have waited for a day or two for subs, and yes, I would watch the raw episode to see what happens, and then re-watch it with the subs :gangnamstyle:

On 9/10/2024 at 1:22 AM, Rollito Deprimavera said:

Thanks @Sleepy Owl for organizing this! 

Its great to see you enjoying the event Chingu :biubiu:

On 9/10/2024 at 6:04 AM, Dhakra said:

Hell yeah! Still have 'Model Taxi' (from Taxi Driver) as my Ringtone and one day I get a call in a public place and someone recognizes it and we fall in love forever!

I have Healer's main theme as my ringtone for years, basically when I watched the first ep, I knew I had to have this as my ringtone.

I did change it to "Stay with me" from Goblin when that drama aired, but then switched back to Healer's Main theme on one phone, and a part of Chuno's OST (from the 3:15 timestamp) in another one

Spoiler

I know someone surely will recognize the healer ringtone, but I hardly expect anyone to recognize that ringtone from Chuno

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
  • Wiggle 1

17 hours ago, YongZura⁷ said:

Interesting - 13 people so far, for this point

1 point if you indefinitely paused a drama but have not officially dropped it

So, why haven't you dropped it? 🤔

You know one of those dramas that you think you could finish someday. 

for me the example drama is Maids. I started watching when it aired. I paused it after 5 episodes. But I don’t want to dropped it. It was not that bad. So maybe one day I will finish it.  🙈

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

14 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Wait, I have to do math?  I don't do math

It explains why haven't seen you on the add subtract thread :joy:

confused-asian.gif

5 hours ago, maribella said:

A car? A jalopy? omigoodness. I don’t remember ever seeing that. Like an early model of KIT. 

THIS is Rebecca and how "gwaenchana, gwaenchana" became an iconic phrase in kdrama land :joy:

Rebecca's windows and how to slap a cheating boyfriend

Rebecca's brakes and how to get stuck driving around a parking lot until you run out of gas

• LOL 7

On 9/9/2024 at 11:48 AM, Sleepy Owl said:

5. Kdrama Veteran (41-50 points) - You’re a true Kdrama master! You've seen it all, from classic dramas to the latest releases, and can spot references, tropes, and actors effortlessly.

Wooooo 45 !

I have got 45 points EOs

kdrama-goblin.gif

But still i lack knowledge on classic dramas (early 2000s) like princess hrs, what happened in Bali, Autumn in my heart,Full house to name a few

Oohh yeaaah

AAAANNNDD BARF DRAMAS 

leeminho-disgusting-shit.gif

Eonni @partyon

This is such a wholesome event idea 

I have got a lot to blabber 

Will be posting a long post tmrw eonni @partyon @agenth chinku @Sleepy Owl twin @confusedheart

Thanks for this awesome event 

Loved it to the core ! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I have Healer's main theme as my ringtone for years, basically when I watched the first ep, I knew I had to have this as my ringtone.

I did change it to "Stay with me" from Goblin when that drama aired, but then switched back to Healer's Main theme on one phone, and a part of Chuno's OST (from the 3:15 timestamp) in another one

Oh that's a very good choice too. The Healer main theme also has this ringy sound, which qualifies it very good as a ringtone.

5 hours ago, partyon said:

It explains why haven't seen you on the add subtract thread

Well, to be fair, only a handful only do the math part, the lazy ones (like me) just type +2/-2 and let the pros do the rest.

@partyon Also, since you posted a gif, do you know which member of TWICE this is?

---------------

But for research purposes I have some questions. Feel free to put the answers in spoilers or tell me if you reveal the answers at the end of the event.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:18 AM, Sleepy Owl said:

1 point if you know what it means when someone invites you to their place for "ramen"

Is it the same meaning if somebody asks you if you like Messi?

On 9/9/2024 at 8:18 AM, Sleepy Owl said:

1 point if you know what the "Cola kiss" is....

What the hell is a Cola Kiss? I have multiple theories on this, one of them includes the other part dressing like an orange. Or do you kiss somebody after they drink Cola and try to steal it while kissing?

• LOL 1
  • Blob 4

38 points... coz I don't do the wallpaper and ringtone thing 😄, completed Sec.Kim 🙃 (was still in my never-drop-drama era) and LMH is not on my oppa list 😅

Anyway, just want to point out that you totally forgot to put quotation marks on the word "masterpiece" 😁

• LOL 3
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

38 points... coz I don't do the wallpaper and ringtone thing 😄, completed Sec.Kim 🙃 (was still in my never-drop-drama era) and LMH is not on my oppa list 😅

Anyway, just want to point out that you totally forgot to put quotation marks on the word "masterpiece" 😁

@ktcjdrama  I used to keep my wallpaper/ringtone as something related to K-actors but, not anymore when I replaced my mobile phone. I thanked Pinterest for those beautiful wallpapers, though.   :biubiu:

5 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Well, to be fair, only a handful only do the math part, the lazy ones (like me) just type +2/-2 and let the pros do the rest.

@Dhakra  same here - math is my waterloo, so when I'm in the thread I also type +2.   

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Blob 4

Below are the options that will help you determine your veteran status:

1.    1 point if you know what andwae, saekkiya, saranghae, jinjja, gwaenchanha  and jamkkanman means 
3.    1 point if you catch yourself saying "aigoo", "omo" or "ya!" IRL 

25.    1 point if your friends have at some point found you weird for watching kdramas (before kdramas became mainstream)

There was a time (when kdrama was not its peak as right now )

Frnds would turn their head towards me whenever they hear korea in Geography classes.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952v0iyi7ct23ucp9oscz

And frnds randomly remembering my "Ottokke" and relating its similarity to Ootheca of coackroach 

🤣

How can we forget the epic AAaiiisshh ??

Aaiiissshh is my constant word up until now ever since i landed on kdrama 

4.    1 point if you adopt a new oppa/noona every time you watch a drama

Am infamous for this act ever since i joined

Add subract forum:poledance:

members knw it way too well 

10.    1 point for pulling an all-night kdrama marathon

24.    1 point if you've deceived yourself by saying "just one more episode"

Recent one -

Yesterday completed watching "Catch the Ghost" (within 2 days)🥳

26.    1 point if you used to read recaps on Dramabeans

There were times when datas was limited and all i could do was read the recaps instead

and if it was worth !! -

I would steal the data from father's phone

raccoon-stealing.gif

And guess what ?!

I even once applied for dramabeans recap application to be a dramabeans minion  !

Didnt get selected though !!😅

But yeah atleast i have more time to laze around

27.    1 point if you remember what it was like having to wait for English subs - sometimes for days
29.    1 point if you remember DramaFever 
30.    1 point if you watched the RAW episode on live stream

Those were some good old days -

When i barely knew hangeul but regardless risked my internet data, watched it raw,

then watched it with subs 

Dramafever was my then netflix/viki/telegram

Perhaps, maybe The wait for eng subs might be the reason i ended up learning korean (as i watched its first raw and then with eng sub)

33.    1 point if you started on "What's Wrong With Secretary Kim" but dropped it

Looking at the poll, i wasnt the only one who did that

lol-laugh.gif

41.    1 point if you have used your favorite Kdrama OST as your mobile ringtone

There was endless ost ringtones , to name a few ;

Tiger J.k - reset

Kill me heal me - hallucination

Gaho - Start

Sassy go go - hold on there

Goblin - stay with me

pinocchio - calm and passion

Healer - intro song

Our beloved summer - intro song

Because this is my first life - this life

Janet Suhh - lighting up your world 

At the moment its AgustD's people intro ever since it was released up until now 😇

49.    1 point if you notice and pay attention to background details like wardrobe, tables, tiles, and other set items.

I have a folder in my lap for screenshots of garden in kdramas, rooms,tiles for my future home:biubiu:

9 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Is it the same meaning if somebody asks you if you like Messi?

This would clear all your doubt chinku 

9 hours ago, Dhakra said:

What the hell is a Cola Kiss? I have multiple theories on this, one of them includes the other part dressing like an orange. Or do you kiss somebody after they drink Cola and try to steal it while kissing?

Here it is for you chingu 

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 1

On 9/10/2024 at 3:05 AM, YongZura⁷ said:

Interesting - 13 people so far, for this point

1 point if you indefinitely paused a drama but have not officially dropped it

So, why haven't you dropped it? 🤔

Exactly Chingu, I have tons of dramas that I have indefinitely paused. Sometimes for some reasons, there comes a break in your watch and then you see yourself surrounded by other dramas due to which you find it hard to go back to the drama you paused.

You blink your eyes and then see its been years since you indefinitely paused that dramas, and then you notice that the list of your indefinitely dramas is actually pretty long, at least that's what happened with me :sweats:

20 hours ago, joccu said:

for me the example drama is Maids. I started watching when it aired. I paused it after 5 episodes. But I don’t want to dropped it. It was not that bad. So maybe one day I will finish it.  🙈

I have indefinitely paused that drama too tenor.gif

13 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

Wooooo 45 !

I have got 45 points EOs

Wow Chingu, guess you are the one with the highest score right now! spy-x-family-anya.gif

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I never had any Kdrama wallpapers, I do admit that I have anime and game wallpapers :gangnamstyle:

3 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

Am infamous for this act ever since i joined

Add subract forum

members knw it way too well 

Everyone has started to protect their Oppas ever since you started adding them to your collection 

protect-you.gif

4 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

I dropped it after watching the first ep itself :sweats:

4 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

There was endless ost ringtones , to name a few ;

Tiger J.k - reset

Kill me heal me - hallucination

Gaho - Start

Sassy go go - hold on there

Goblin - stay with me

pinocchio - calm and passion

Healer - intro song

Our beloved summer - intro song

Because this is my first life - this life

Janet Suhh - lighting up your world 

At the moment its AgustD's people intro ever since it was released up until now 😇

Wow, that's an impressive list. I had once thought of having Kill Me Heal Me's Hallucination as my ringtone, but I am sure I didn't set it for whatever reasons. The OSTs that I posted have been my ringtones for years now :wow1:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

8 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

Aaiiissshh is my constant word up until now ever since i landed on kdrama 

Same here haha, it's fully part of my way to speak. Same goes for Aigoooooo

This would clear all your doubt chinku

So it kinda is, but more intimate and common. Sigh, Weightlifting Fairy had something similar but way less popular.

Here it is for you chingu 

Okay, two things, first, the drama is old right? It looks old, kisses from old school dramas are so awkward to watch nowadays. Sigh, old dramas really don't age well, but maybe it's because Coffee Prince scarred me for life. 
And secondly, the kiss really isn't good, my theories had so much more spice!

• LOL 2
  • Blob 1

21 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

But still i lack knowledge on classic dramas (early 2000s) like princess hrs, what happened in Bali, Autumn in my heart,Full house to name a few

Aigoo.... We did organize a Goong rewatch a few years ago. You should have participated. :kiss_wink:

21 hours ago, Dhakra said:

@partyon Also, since you posted a gif, do you know which member of TWICE this is?

My guess is Sana

11 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

I think everyone on the +- thread dropped it :loolz:

11 hours ago, 4evrkdrama said:

I have a folder in my lap for screenshots of garden in kdramas, rooms,tiles for my future home

@Lmangla sweetie has screenshots of all of the best bathroom fittings. And mustache oppas. LOL

9 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

The bts of cola kiss was so much better to watch... go check it out in case some of you haven't watched it 😉

Please post a clip of it here, chingu

Season 12 Please GIF by PBS

3 hours ago, Dhakra said:

Okay, two things, first, the drama is old right? It looks old, kisses from old school dramas are so awkward to watch nowadays. Sigh, old dramas really don't age well, but maybe it's because Coffee Prince scarred me for life. 
And secondly, the kiss really isn't good, my theories had so much more spice!

Okay, two things.

First, the drama is old. It's from 2011, and the drama wasn't very good, but the kiss became famous

Second, the kiss is good.

girls lines GIF

Back in 2011, the cinematography wasn't as developed as it is now. Neither was the music and sound effects. So you need to forego those, and imagine what the kiss would have looked like in today's world.

Also, back in the day, ALL kisses were bad. Like women would just stand there like a dead fish with their eyes wide open while the guy tried to give her a peck.

So having Yoon Eun Hye actually reciprocate the kiss and in the second part initiate it, was kinda "scandalous" if you will.

From a woman's perspective, the kiss actually holds up pretty well to this day, because it has a lot of tension in it. As a viewer you almost hold your breath while you anticipate what's going to happen next, and it has some natural elements to it.

1 hour ago, africandramalover said:

Of course I'm a veteran! KDrama is my life! Lol!

How many dramas are you watching right now? :D

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

• LOL 6

23 points here :). And I'm OK having not watched any of those "masterpieces." Haha.

Right now I'm watching "Healer ahjumma" and Ji Chang Wook be reunited in Welcome to Samdal-ri and they are still so cute together!

Welcome-To-Samdalri-014.jpeg?resize=768,755&ssl=1

20 hours ago, africandramalover said:

Of course I'm a veteran! KDrama is my life! Lol!

Did you get all 50 points?

Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

On 9/10/2024 at 4:48 AM, CarolynH said:

Wait, I have to do math?  I don't do math

I hate math as well. Life is so much easier with the calculator app on the phone. I neededn regular tutoring in geometry in high school and my parents (both in math professions) were very sad for me.

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

4 hours ago, sweetroad said:

I neededn regular tutoring in geometry in high school and my parents (both in math professions) were very sad for me.

:omg:Are you adopted or did the math gene just skip over your generation? :scream:

• LOL 4