[Drama 2021] The Road: The Tragedy of One, 더 로드: 1의 비극

larus

On 8/14/2021 at 9:40 PM, lebeaucouple said:

Seo Ki-Tae Bae's 2nd wife Bae Kyung-Sook, who scrapped the car shown in the EP2, and why it was scrapped?

I forgot about that. 

On 8/14/2021 at 9:40 PM, lebeaucouple said:

n EP1 ending, Baek Soo-Hyun hysterically cried for his son but later realised that the dead body belonged to Choi Joon-Young. But his wife did not behave the same way as his at the scene. I believe Seo Eun-Soo plays a significant role in this drama if you look at the poster ads, even though we followed the whole investigation process through Baek Soo-Hyun's view at the moment.

Yep, why is she not behaving as if she just heard her son was kidnapped and found in some remote area and maybe dead? 

Another who done it drama, where JJH also starred is "Misty" similar to the movie you described

Spoiler

where the body was moved from the original scene of killing 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I haven't read the book or watched the jdrama version of Ichi no Higeki. If only based on these 4 episodes, to me Eun-soo is the most suspicious of all the characters. Right now she has the motive (lets say she knew about JY and her husband sleeping with the anchor lady). 

But at the same time I also feel like it would be too easy and predictable if they made her the killer? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lila21 said:

I forgot about that. 

Yep, why is she not behaving as if she just heard her son was kidnapped and found in some remote area and maybe dead? 

Another who done it drama, where JJH also starred is "Misty" similar to the movie you described

Reveal hidden contents

where the body was moved from the original scene of killing 

Her father would have told her the grandson was at his place ( if she wasnt the one who planned the death)

She called the police cos she knew her child was safe. They were told not to inform or the child will be killed. 

I think she is involved somewhat.

• Like 3

Well.. that famous fb status...." its complicated" :D

He's was cheating. She's cheating. She knows. He knows. they both suspect it but doesn't act or confront it.

To think Eun Soo and Seo Young have been friends since way back. I think Seo Young mentioned college days.

Meanwhile Seo Young married to lawyer but having affair with Soo Hyun yet have relationship with the news chief Kwon.

That's three relationships all in the name if being famous driven.

Meanwhile. Seo Ki Tae 2nd wife. is having an affair with the right hand man. I'm suspecting her at the moment because her character seems like the type

considering all these affairs, the plot is is good and drama is good. from a rookie writer. I know it's based from book by Japanese writer. There's also jdrama a based on the book. I'll probably just watch this though.

• Like 6

Glad to see more people posting and enjoying this drama.  It's definitely one where you need to pay attention or it's easy to get lost.  I tend to do others thing while watching, but for this drama I have to pay attention and think.  

Do you all think Seo Young loves Soo Hyun or is she just using him to further her career?  I'm on the fence.  We all know she wants to further her career, but she seems desperate for him.  Or at least that the feeling I have when I watch their interaction.  

I feel sorry for poor Jun Yeong.  No one seems to be really sorry that he's gone.  They cried, but not particularly in mourning.  I do have to admit that I laughed when Seo Young cried in the morgue; she sounded like she was in labor or constipated.  Nam gyu's cry sounded like a gurgle.  

• Like 5

Ji Jin Hee Faints + Yoon Se Ah And Kim Hye Eun Share Tense Meeting In “The Road: The Tragedy Of One”

8749b197b3ee45c083962cb37f15910a.jpeg?s=

Aug 18, 2021
by E. Cha

tvN’s “The Road: The Tragedy of One” has shared an intriguing sneak peek of its upcoming episode!

“The Road: The Tragedy of One” is a new mystery drama about a tragic incident that takes place one night in the pouring rain—and the silence and cover-up that ensue, giving rise to many entangled secrets and leaving further tragedies in their wake.

Spoilers

Previously on “The Road: The Tragedy of One,” Seo Eun Soo (played by Yoon Se Ah) found a mysterious bottle of pills while packing up the belongings of Cha Seo Young (Kim Hye Eun)’s late son Joon Young. As Joon Young’s autopsy report mentioned a drug found in his system, the discovery raised new questions about his death.

Additionally, after meeting with Park Sung Hwan (Jo Dal Hwan), the only witness of the kidnapping, a nervous Cha Seo Young searched her home for the same pills that Seo Eun Soo found in Joon Young’s belongings. She then flushed the contents down the toilet, casting suspicion on the unreadable anchor.

In newly released stills from the drama’s next episode, Seo Eun Soo meets Cha Seo Young late at night to return Joon Young’s belongings. The moment that Seo Eun Soo hands over the bag containing his possessions, Cha Seo Young begins frantically rooting through it to find something.

Despite the seemingly innocuous nature of the encounter, there is palpable tension between the two friends as Cha Seo Young levels Seo Eun Soo with an icy glare. Meanwhile, Seo Eun Soo, who had previously pitied Cha Seo Young after the death of her son, coldly returns her gaze—raising the question of why her attitude towards her bereaved friend has changed.

Kim-Hye-Eun-Yoon-Se-Ah.jpeg

Kim-Hye-Eun.jpeg

Spoiler

Kim-Hye-Eun-2.jpeg

Yoon-Se-Ah1.jpeg

Another set of stills from the upcoming episode captures Baek Soo Hyun (Ji Jin Hee) in a suspenseful moment of danger. After receiving a mysterious text message on his phone, Baek Soo Hyun’s expression darkens, and there is a strange look of despair in the normally imperturbable anchor’s eyes. Shortly afterwards, an unconscious Baek Soo Hyun falls to the ground as his co-workers look on in alarm and shock.

The next episode of “The Road: The Tragedy of One” on August 18 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1484362wpp/ji-jin-hee-faints-yoon-se-ah-and-kim-hye-eun-share-tense-meeting-in-the-road-the-tragedy-of-one

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lilyphenix said:

Hello, did episode 5 air?

It aired but waiting for subs. Seems everybody is panicking about the presence of a "black box." Half of the episode is subbed. The dead reporter Park had downloaded the contents of the black box and everyone who attended the charity event, everyone who entered the gate of the compound and some of them were not invited and not on the list and yet they were let in. One of them was the Chief of BSN Newsroom Kwon, Yeo Jin. The police were also searching for that black box because they knew that reporter Park Hwan was at the entrance of Rock Hill during the event and must have witnessed something and recorded on the black box. The detective who was working with Soo Hyun was mad because Soo Hyun did not notify him that Park Hwan had called him about the presence of a black box. Now, we know that Park Hwan had recordings of his seedy affair with Seo Young and threatening to expose Soo Hyun unless he gets compensated. He also knows about the affair of Seo Young and News Chief Kwon. Every one carry buried secrets and most of them live in or are connected to Rock Hill that Park Hwan had either recorded or taken picture of. In the evening before Soo Hyun was supposed to deliver the nightly news he went into a panic mode. He was sweating, loosening his tie and pacing. Just before he was to deliver the news, he got a phone message about the DNA results of the his secret son, Joon Young and a threat to expose him and he fainted. Who sent the message? In the meantime there is a scene showing a computer, pictures, recorders and sticks being burnt and destroyed. A young woman employee showed a picture of a burnt computer to Seo Ki Tae who then faces Moon Do and tells him he does not like surprises. He was going to give reporter Park a painting instead of money. So, Moon Do seems to have acted on his own and killed reporter Park? Or was he directed by someone else? 

In the last episode, a psychologically imposed blind Yoon Weo went into a panic attack when his friends talked about their kidnapped friend, Joon Young and hyperventilated, he had to be calmed down with an inhaler. Both parents ran to comfort him. Soo Hyun showed the other 2 boys a picture of Seong Pil and they recognized him as the man who told them to go to that house. And when Soo Hyun asked them what house, Yeon Weo said the white house that has been vacant for a long time. Eun Seo immediately asked if Yeon Weo now remembers, her face tensed and Yoon Weo told his mother his memory is not fully back where Eun Seo relaxed. When they were alone, Yeon Weo asked his mother if she does not want him to remember and Mom asked why he said that. Yeon Weo answers that mom seemed relieved when he said he does not remember. If the boy picked up on that, her husband must have. That maybe another reason why Soo Hyun is having a hard time reporting the news and cooperating with the police, he suspects who may have a hand in the kidnaping and murder of his son? 

Funny how Seo Young asks Chief Kwon, if she has been doing all, as in having affairs with her boss Kwon and senior reporter Soo Hyun for nothing? 

HELLLOOOO!!! Do the work you are supposed to be doing and you get compensated for it.... affairs???? don't ask!!!

• Like 5

done watching eps 1-4 and this is so far so good. Crazy, literally everyone are crazy and pathetic. Everyone is suspicious, don't know what's secret will be reveal or anotther crime will happen. Eps 1-2 feel kinda weird, but starting eps 3 the crime thriller is running well.

Infidelity, birth secret, murder mistery, secret relationship, power struggle, greedy rich people, with political twist. The people are kinda mess. Feel hard watching cha seo young, she'e really fake omg. and also, seo eun soo is really suspicous, she seems pure and weak, but on the cutting paper scene, she looks scary. and baek soo hyun, he's like an antihero character, right?

with all that makjang element and solid veteran cast, so sad that The Road not getting good hypes and being so underrated. Hope this week eps also great. Ji Jinhee as hypocrite character was pleasant to watch. And they have Ahn Naesang, i think he will be a key character. He's not there just to be a weak husband of a crazy woman.

i am not good at describing my excitement of this drama, but i really love reading your review and theory about the drama, guys. Keep them coming!! :hwaiting:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The last half of the episode subbed and the police are concentrating on the residents of Royal Hill. For one thing, the police do not know because Soo Hyun did not inform them of the 3 boys who went to that abandoned house because they were lured by Dong Pil the one who had a copy of the illegal funds of Seo Ki Tae and was the one set up as scapegoat for kidnapping and murder. But he is now dead. Soo Hyun has not shared that information to the police. It is understandable then that Eun Seo chose to move her son to her father's house. He is also one reason why Soo Hyun is withholding the information about the boys because he did not want questioning of a traumatized son? He also did not tell the police he is working with that he had affair with Seo Young and Joon Young is his son. The drug addicted son of Seo KT, Jung Wook  and Sera the stepdaughter of Seo Young are now being questioned by the police as they were in the abandoned house partying on the night of the kidnapping and they saw Jeon Young. Assemblyman Hwang's wife heard about the rumors of a black box and she ran home to find the bloodied shoes her husband was wearing on the night of the murder. However, she found the shoes were cleaned. She then prepared a feast for her husband telling her husband that they need to strategize because and Hwang needs to save his butt. She said at the right time she will use the card that she is holding against Seo Ki Tae but it is not yet. What is the card she holds, is it the information that Seo KT's wife is having an affair with his right hand man? SKT wants his wife to ask for a divorce so he would not care about his wife having an affair as that will be a reason for him to be rid of her, but he would care about his right hand man being the one who is having an affair with his woman. Or does Mrs Hwang have a more damaging information she can use against Seo KT? She wants her husband to take over the position of Seo KT. Husband is weak though.

Seo Young uses her family as background during pressers to boost her reputation as a mother and image as a reporter and her husband Lawyer Choi can't take it. As agreed she will be interviewed by Soo Hyun but Soo Hyun's past memories and fears interferes and he freezes during the interview. However, they were supposed to talk about kidnapping awareness but instead she asked personal question of Soo Hyun putting him on the spot. What or why was she giving her son pills that is destroying his liver?

I now believe that she was the one who sent the message with the DNA info of her son to Soo Hyun before he fainted just before he was to anchor the news. 

Because of one affair Soo Hyun destroyed his credibility as a reporter and he is now stomped. He wanted to be the truth teller but now because of one secret affair, he can't continue to investigate or tell the news of his FIL's slush fund. He has a son who is blind through emotional trauma and a wife whom he suspects is not telling him the truth. 

• Like 7

Seo Young asked a very pointed question during the interview trying to force Soo Hyun to admit his relationship to her son but Soo Hyun  turned the interview around with his answer and the approval of parents especially fathers who would be agreeing strongly with Soo Hyun, that they would have done there best to try help save the child if they were in the same situation. Seo Young had no choice but bow and say thank you, therefore she lost. Instead of gaining the audience admiration as she craved, the credits went to Soo Hyun. What was Seo Young thinking? But she had a point during their argument afterwards when she said that Soo Hyun had lost Eun Seo the moment he had an affair. 

Soo Hyun kept saying that he has been running since that first incident long ago when he ran away and kept running and vowed not to keep silent but tell the truth to the world. However, he keeps running into, and re-creating the same situation as his detective friend said. And he is realizing now that the answer is buried in the beginning. To find what he is looking for, he has to go back/return to the starting point. Resolve the past, be free of it and he will not have to run anymore. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

I haven't seen the Japanese version. But I managed to read a synopsis of that. According to that Eun Soo is the culprit with Jang Ho. She will use Jang Ho since he is obsessed with her. In the Japanese version, Yeon Woo is her and Jang Ho's son but here he is her twin sister's and Jang Ho's son. I don't know if it will follow the main plot exactly or have a twist. IMO, the theme may be same but here they have changed many things and I think someone who is a victim of Soo Hyun's silence in the past is the mastermind

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, pompyavi said:
Spoiler

I haven't seen the Japanese version. But I managed to read a synopsis of that. According to that Eun Soo is the culprit with Jang Ho. She will use Jang Ho since he is obsessed with her. In the Japanese version, Yeon Woo is her and Jang Ho's son but here he is her twin sister's and Jang Ho's son. I don't know if it will follow the main plot exactly or have a twist.

During their phone conversation in this episode and during the first time we are shown of their meeting at a hotel, it is already evident that she is manipulating him and she is the dominant one. 

• Like 3

Today EP6, nothing great has been discovered, except for two things:

1. The confrontation between the two heroines was very good, especially since we were told that Cha Seo-Young had a long-term medical history, and she had been taking medicine for herself and for her son (which is bad for liver).

2. The three of them are entangled with Seo Ki-Tae. The three have known since childhood: Baek Soo-Hyun, Sim Seok-Hun, Yoon Dong-Pil.

The most tragic character is the young child, Choi Joon-Young who was forced to take medicine from an early age and lacked the love of his parents and siblings. His death was due to a large amount of drug consumption and car accident....

@lila21, You asked What was Seo Young thinking? 

About their TV interview at the beginning of Ep6, I found that the biggest problem for a woman no matter how strong she is, Cha Seo-Young is still very emotional, her tested question to him in public is indirectly wanted to find out whether he still cares about her and her son, even though she knows that he won't give her the answer she wants. In other words, she liked him from the first day. It's just that he doesn't like her.

The fundamental reason why we want to escape from problems, people, places and lives is that stress and anxiety have become too intense. Our mental state and our body make us feel that we need to escape. Baek Soo-Hyun's running away probably due to the physical abuse since youth days, there are few contributing factors that make the physical, emotional abuse worse. Physical abuse can drive a teen away that can cause them to reach a breaking point. That's why Baek Soo Hyun has to take medicine often and even now has the illusion on and off. The last part that he stood by the river, seeking for redemption because his mind and soul were full of regrets and guilty.

Yes, he needs to resolve his past by facing and dealing with the problems, by then he will eventually resolve them and release the feeling of guilt, shame, and  regret. The inner struggling- Guilt, shame and regret are among the most painful human emotions, sad to say.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

3 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

About their TV interview at the beginning of Ep6, I found that the biggest problem for a woman no matter how strong she is, Cha Seo-Young is still very emotional, her tested question to him in public is indirectly wanted to find out whether he still cares about her and her son, even though she knows that he won't give her the answer she wants. In other words, she liked him from the first day. It's just that he doesn't like her.

Thank you for pointing that out. It has become an obsession of hers to make him admit that he cares, she keeps reminding him of the past and she is mad that she did not get the answer she wanted. She also lost the golden opportunity to enhance herself professionally that the interview opened for her when Soo Hyun opened with subject of "kidnapping awareness". She made it personal. She is mad at Chief Kwon who gave her the opportunity for an interview to enhance herself

21 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

Baek Soo-Hyun's running away probably due to the physical abuse since youth days, there are few contributing factors that make the physical, emotional abuse worse. Physical abuse can drive a teen away that can cause them to reach a breaking point. That's why Baek Soo Hyun has to take medicine often and even now has the illusion on and off. The last part that he stood by the river, seeking for redemption because his mind and soul were full of regrets and guilty.

Was he abused? I have not seen that part. But I agree that his past is catching up with him. Redeeming the past by facing it and doing something about it It all boils down to Seo Ki Tae.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I remember i saw a killer (to the dead girl) in the wooden hut and that guy beaten him up, physically abusing him. It seems that this guy has been threatening him not just by words, but also using something like a rifle gun and Soo Hyun has not dared to tell the truth until now, because he had to urge his mum packed quickly and move out his home since then. But I suspect he burnt the wooden hut later on for revenge when he told his friend.(may be killed that guy??):D

@greezlybee and  @pompyavi -

Thanks for sharing your view. It would be interesting to watch if their son is not their birth son and to see their affair which pair start first before their marriage? ES and JH, SH and SY?

Anyone knows this drama ends with EP 12, EP 16 or EP 20? Different websites give different information. thanks

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

The most tragic character is the young child, Choi Joon-Young who was forced to take medicine from an early age and lacked the love of his parents and siblings.

I might be lost here, why his mom force him to take the medicine?

7 hours ago, lebeaucouple said:

Anyone knows this drama ends with EP 12,

I read on MDL, it would be 12 eps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1