[Drama 2021] The Road: The Tragedy of One, 더 로드: 1의 비극

larus

2 hours ago, CarolynH said:

Oh my gosh, I have to catch up.  I realized that I didn't finish ep 2.  I started my own chart of the characters to keep them straight.

I refer to Asian Wiki all the time when watching k dramas and I keep them up on my computer. Of course having your own chart to align the relationship of the characters is also good. 

• Like 3

“Hospital Playlist 2” Bounces Back From Ratings Dip + “The Road: The Tragedy Of One” Rises

d6ce26c8f4574237a78c531b71cae202.jpeg?s=

Aug 13, 2021
by E. Cha

Both tvN’s “Hospital Playlist 2” and “The Road: The Tragedy of One” saw their viewership ratings rise last night!

Meanwhile, tvN’s new drama “The Road: The Tragedy of One” scored an average nationwide rating of 3.2 percent, marking a slight increase from its previous episode.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1483583wpp/hospital-playlist-2-bounces-back-from-ratings-dip-the-road-the-tragedy-of-one-rises

• Like 5

OMG, finally found something interesting to watch this show, I just finished EP4. (In my opinion, I prefer this show to "The devil judge", because each ep ends with a cliffhanger)

This is a suspenseful thriller drama. Love it, intense and suspenseful plots! !

The thrilling excitement and chase during the investigation caught the audience's attention. Especially towards each ending, it was such a dramatic and exciting ending leaving us in suspense and anxious not to miss the next episode.

Each character role, including the male and female lead, has its own agenda and backstory, waiting for us to peel the onion layer by layer..Woo

Questions in mind :

1. What is the relationship between Seo Eun-Soo and Oh Jang-Ho? Was Oh Jang-Ho, the birth father of her kid Baek Yeon-Woo?

2. Who was the real murderer for the dead kid, Choi Joon-Young since Park Sung-Hwan had died on last EP4? 

Since the drama title comes with the word "Tragedy", i am sure the story isn't so simple, it must have triggered traumatic events between family members. This is a road of no return for the male lead - This is a cause and effect. Let's see how he resolve the case together with the police friend, sometimes the final result can be cruel one but he can only accept the facts so that he can survive.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

Episode 4 just got complicated. After all of Baek Soo Hyun's claim that he investigates thoroughly the news that he covers, he did not listen to some other reporter who publishes celebrity gossip whom he knew followed him to the outside of the compound on the night of the party. It was too late before he realized that the reporter had what he needed the identity of the killer. It was after he realized that the reporter had contacted his father in law, Seo Ki Tae and Seo Young that he knew for sure that the reporter had what he desperately needed, the black box on the reporter's car that recorded everything but by that time when he went running to find the reporter, he was dead. Did the reported die because he contacted Seo Ki Tae? However, Cha Seo Young was also at the reporter's house just before he was killed. Did Baek Soo Hyun already know or suspect who the killer is and tried to delay Cha Seo Young's interview on TV regarding the killing of her son because he said he wanted to find the list of slush funds then connect it to the  killing or did he have a suspicion of who might be the killer and desperately wants his suspicions to be false? What happened long ago when he was a kid that could be similar to this case? The detective on that case is the same detective assigned to this case. Also the whistle blower Seong Pil's original name is Dong Pil and Seo Ki Tae had inadvertently called Seong Pil, Dong Pil. It seems that people involved in this case are also connected to that case many years ago when Soo Hyun was very young. 

Seo Ki Tae had ordered his right hand man, Jo Moon Do to call Park Sung Hwan the gossip reporter, but Jo Moon Do is seen driving his car out of Rock Hill compound. Park Sung Hwan is now dead. Cha Seo Young was in his house just before Soo Hyun found him dead. There are now 3 deaths, 3 unsolved cases. Seong Pil, Joon Young and now Sung Hwan. The dead seems to be piling.

• Like 6

Behind the scene video

A night of heavy rain. A horrific and tragic event takes place. Silence, avoidance, and secrets intertwined like a thread inevitably lead to another tragedy. A mystery drama depicting the guilt and salvation of those who have lost their way, those who are standing at the end of the road, and those who stray from the path.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

56 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

1. What is the relationship between Seo Eun-Soo and Oh Jang-Ho? Was Oh Jang-Ho, the birth father of her kid Baek Yeon-Woo?

I think we are all asking the same question and the story is pointing that way. I agree to all you said about this drama. 

• Like 3

After more than a year, I’m back! This drama is just way too fun to not be discussed ㅋㅋㅋ

1 hour ago, lebeaucouple said:

Here is my guess: in the previous episodes, JH called ES, ‘sister-in-law’ and we all assumed that JH is SH’s brother. But then in the beginning of ep 4, ES was unbuttoning her shirt in front of JH, in which, he called her Eun Ho. And then ES said, “see me as I am.”

Now I’m convinced that EH and ES are sisters, so ES is indeed JH’s sister-in-law… from her dead sister. That is also why SKT’s right hand came to ES and said they filed a restraining order again, because it proves that JH is related directly to the Seo family, not through SH.

And yes, YW is JH’s son. But I’m still not sure whether his mom is EH or ES. 

1 hour ago, lebeaucouple said:

2. Who was the real murderer for the dead kid, Choi Joon-Young since Park Sung-Hwan had died on last EP4? 

This is the main problem. The suspects are a lot—from JW (because of the car accident), Lawyer Choi (because he returned to the crime scene and saying I’m sorry), and CSY (because she flushed her meds). But honestly, I don’t think it’s Lawyer Choi and CSY because they’re still JY’s ‘parents’. To kill their own son is just too evil you know.

But it is obvious to me that all victims are killed by the same person. Just who the hell is this guy?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, greezlybee said:

Now I’m convinced that EH and ES are sisters, so ES is indeed JH’s sister-in-law… from her dead sister. That is also why SKT’s right hand came to ES and said they filed a restraining order again, because it proves that JH is related directly to the Seo family, not through SH.

Thank you. Now we know how Jang Ho is related directly to the Seo family and Yeon Woo, is not through Soo Hyun but EH. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, greezlybee said:

After more than a year, I’m back! This drama is just way too fun to not be discussed ㅋㅋㅋ

Here is my guess: in the previous episodes, JH called ES, ‘sister-in-law’ and we all assumed that JH is SH’s brother. But then in the beginning of ep 4, ES was unbuttoning her shirt in front of JH, in which, he called her Eun Ho. And then ES said, “see me as I am.”

This is the main problem. The suspects are a lot—from JW (because of the car accident), Lawyer Choi (because he returned to the crime scene and saying I’m sorry), and CSY (because she flushed her meds). But honestly, I don’t think it’s Lawyer Choi and CSY because they’re still JY’s ‘parents’. To kill their own son is just too evil you know.

@lila21 and @greezlybee

Thanks for your reply, let's have a fun guessing game.

Let's have a bold guessing here.

Seo Eun-Soo seems like a feminine Housewife but in fact, she actually knows the affairs between Baek Soo-Hyun and Cha Seo-Young. How could she look so calm when she discovered it at the hotel room? It's too weird to behave so calm as a wife and no questions to ask from her husband. Their relationship just feels weird, something is missing between the two. Not many two-way communication between the two....

Usually the least suspect (not appear often) is the main culprit, who kidnapped the child (Choi Joon-Young), are Seo Eun-Soo and Oh Jang-Ho because Seo Eun-Soo probably knew that Choi Joon-Young is Baek Soo-Hyun' son long ago.

Based on your theory, if Oh Jang-Ho is obsessed with Seo Eun-Soo (and her twin sister), then Seo Eun-Soo is likely making use of Oh Jang-Ho because she knew Oh Jang-Ho will do anything for her including the kidnapping plan? Haha... I find the wife may be the mastermind afterall, she  just want to protect her family, her own son as a result. Sometimes, retaliation is a good motivation to start planning and taking action. I felt that Cha Seo-Young has not been speaking kind words to her since their young days.

Baek Soo-Hyun and Seo Eun-Soo's child died in an accident. The lost of their child, making Baek Soo-Hyun turned to Cha Seo-Young which is the biggest mistake that he made. No turning point...even though he was full with regretful.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

Based on your theory, if Oh Jang-Ho is obsessed with Seo Eun-Soo (and her twin sister), then Seo Eun-Soo is likely making use of Oh Jang-Ho because she knyew Oh Jang-Ho will do anything for her including the kidnapping plan? Haha... I find the wife may be is the mastermind afterall, she  just want to protect her family as a whole...

I was thinking the same thing and my bet is that Soo Hyun already strongly suspects who the killer might be. He has been trying to make a deal with Seo Young to delay her TV interview regarding the death of her son, even consenting to sleep with her then threw up after making the deal. He wants desperately to find the missing slush funds which may have led to the killing of Joon Young whom we now know is his son. If the killer was Seo Eun Soo who also knew that the slush funds will lead to the destruction of her family and her husband had a child with another woman the time when her own child was dead, she could be the mastermind. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Now watching ep 3 sub..still opening scenes  with the flashback of Soo Hyun. But I want to scream my thoughs. He needs to redeeme himself..... for crying out loud... your wife had an accident and your child died and still you commiting adultery! no matter how good looking you are.. I wanna kick your shins and smack your solar plexus! :angry:

Lemme continue. Full thoughts when I'm done. BSH is not endearing himself  to me at the moment! :wacko:

• Like 2

Well..... Eun Soo is also not endearing her self too me.  She's also having  affair.. why married?:angry:

And Seo Young is alo not endearing herself to me...my sympathy is  washed out because it fake emotions. :angry:

Seo Young wants Soo Hyun. Eun Soo wants Jang Ho....:phew::wacko:

Please.. the makjang is so there already.  Not "Penthouse" or "Mine"... direction too. :crazy:

I mean....Seo Young is after fame and having people like her. She's concern about her image. Does she really care about her son's death.  Of course it affected her. But to use son's death to for her own image to be sympathised by the viewers..... is fake.   I stil don't feel any warmth or affection she may have given to her son. She's not exactly role moder model.  Look how Se Ra turned out.

At lease with Eun Soo.. the loss of a son is real  enough to have given her trauma.. or perhard that drive for revenge?

Anyway... the three main character Soo Hyun, Eun Soo, Seo Young. They know the affair and still they act as it's how things are and  part of their lives. Yeah.. it's complicated.

So in ep 3...

Yeon Woo ask his mom " do you not want  me to remember?" Eun Soo got confused so he explain that while  he said he still did not get his memory back..... he trold her " you selmm relived. Eun Soo said...  "bad memories could make thing harder for you".

This can be interpreted in several way. 1. Eun Soo hiding something hence, doesn't want son to remember or  2. She knows from past trauma losing her child (earlier flashback revealed car accident) likely  repressed her memory so as not relieve the accident that happened.  She still has trauma up to  now and it make things 'harder for her'. She doesn't want her son to suffer the same predicament.

And then from the mouth of Seo Young ... telling her  you're delusional"

Se Ra and Joon Wook, the young adult i  the Royal Hill  were inside the white house.. it's an abandone part inside were they young rich ones hang out for drug booze and probaby physical relations... The "Penthouse" vibe..in this...

Bu mainly ep 3 saw how.. all three main  characters are having a merry go roud affair.

Eun Soo doesn't probably care becaus she has Jang Ho. Seo Young doesn't care because he probaly knows Eun Soo doesn't care.  So that leaves Soo Hyun. Does he love Eun Soo or he gets more  from Seo Young?

Does he know about Eun Soo and Jang Ho the same way that Eun Soo knows about him and Seo Young? Hah! we'll see.

So now what? Do I sympathize with laywer choi instead. But behind that attitude is evil man I think.

Poor Yeon Woo and Jung young..the sins of the adults left one dead and one with  temporary loos of memory and blindness.  I know it's overly dramatic but I'm just surpise it's more of relationship kinda affair drama.. with unsolve crime.

I'm done with ep 3  now watching ep .. lemme see if the the one at fault is.....

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@jongski - my dear chingu , i hope you have finished EP4 soon.

This drama can't compare with "Penthouse" series as they are different genre although their context are based on 1% top rich people. However, this drama didn't focus and exploit the rich people's lifestyle and their children music school as much as Penthouse. The focus of this drama is on the mysterious murder case that involved in politics, money laundering, and adultery to be solved by third party viewer (the male lead). It is Based on novel "Ichi no Higeki" by Japanese mystery/crime writer, Rintaro Norizuki. ( He is the President of Honkaku Mystery Writers Group). If anyone compares the writer of this drama with the crazy TV series "Penthouse" writer, it would be sad to know because of the different vibe.

This drama yet to show us the childhood story of the male lead, Baek Soo-Hyun, he probably saw a murderer when he was young but he did not report it and I guess he was filled with regretful. We need to know more about this male lead past story.

At the moment, for these three main leads :

• Baek Soo-Hyun's intention is to find out who holds the original documents of the fraudulent fund in order to uncover the truth but he didn't realise that this involved so many layers including his own adultery. 
  • Cha Seo-Young's agenda is to get herself a highest position and achieve fame no matter how she gets it, even if she might sacrifice her children, her husband and her secret "lover"
  • Seo Eun-Soo - I would think she is the mastermind behind this initial setting, but she did not know the setup has a knock-on effect that triggered everything to blow up big.

These 3 must be entangled, one pulls, the other pushes... any move is like shooting your own foot now. It’s fun to watch... Let’s see who will be the final one who gets out from this mess but at the expense of their children, probably Baek Yeon-Woo.....sad :(

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:26 PM, lebeaucouple said:

At the moment, for these three main leads :

• Baek Soo-Hyun's intention is to find out who holds the original documents of the fraudulent fund in order to uncover the truth but he didn't realise that this involved so many layers including his own adultery. 
  • Cha Seo-Young's agenda is to get herself a highest position and achieve fame no matter how she gets it, even if she might sacrifice her children, her husband and her secret "lover"
  • Seo Eun-Soo - I would think she is the mastermind behind this initial setting, but she did not know the setup has a knock-on effect that triggered everything to blow up big.

These 3 must be entangled, one pulls, the other pushes... any move is like shooting your own foot now. It’s fun to watch... Let’s see who will be the final one who gets out from this mess but at the expense of their children, probably Baek Yeon-Woo.....sad :(

At first I thought of Eun Soo, but then the autopsy reported by the doctor to the police described the trauma on the body was like a car accident because of the extent of broken bones and organs but were more specific to body parts unlike a car accident. That is how I interpreted it. So, it could not be Eunsoo, is what thought until in EP 4 where the truth was revealed about Jang Ho. But people were checked in by the security at the entrance. So how did Jang Ho get in? Now the murder of Hwang.  Soo Hyun and Seo Young and Seo Ki Tae were all contacted by Hwang. Soo Hyun had said to Seo Young that he did not care what the news and scandal may bring from Hwang and if he loses his spot as the head anchor, so be it. He will still do what he thinks is right as a newsman but he says Seo Young does care about what others think of her. He also tells her whatever she does has nothing to do with him because he will do what he must. She was the last person shown to be in Hwang's house. Seo Ki Tae had ordered Moon Do his right hand man, to "call" Hwang and Moon Do is shown driving his car out of Rockhill. There is a scene which made me curious about Moon Do. When Eun Soo was in her office cutting documents written by Jang Ho, she accidentally cut one of her fingertips on the blade of the paper cutter because she seemed to be in a daze. Moon Do enters casually and says, "you hurt the same finger as last time"  and that he will renew the ban on Jang Ho. I have a feeling that everything will be blamed on Jang Ho even if he is not the killer. At the time of the death of Joon Young, Jang Ho's ban had not been renewed.  Will Jang Ho be the scapegoat for the mastermind? 

• Like 3

I agree with lila21, the autopsy report about joon young death horrfic for a child of his age. His body suffered a lot. When I saw that scene I'm like.. what nooo! not to a child! Was joon young run over or did he suffer physically at the hands of?

I also don't think Eun Soo can do that to a child. Who could do tat thing thing to a child Seo Ki Tae? I don't think so.. for now.  I must be someone who's out of their mind and derange. Why do that to a child?! The also thought it was Yeon Woo. Who could be horrible madman or woman to that to a boy?! Someone out of their our mind obviously.

For now.. women in this drama are suspicious. Who has more to gain? Who has the master list? clever writer.. Because we want to find out... we need watch and form theory.  For now Eun Soo but I don't think she'd run over a child and o something to horrible. Unless she's in her traumatic state and dont' know what she's doing.. but, that would be giveaway. It's someone who has a lot gain.  Or may I'm over thinking. We'll see next episodes.

Enjoying this drama at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It is a ripple effect that usually starts with unintentional influence. In the process there was someone who might have caused the serious accident and we do not know who it was (the other suspect was Seo Ki-Tae Bae's 2nd wife Bae Kyung-Sook, who scrapped the car shown in the EP2, and why it was scrapped? Does that mean there has been an accident before? Obviously, she was trying to kill off the evidence) Bae Kyung-Sook has a greedy desire for inheritance. She knew that her son was taking drugs but did not realise that Joon-Young witnessed it on that night.

In Ep1, the death of Joon-Young began the road to tragedy with no return....

Seo Eun-Soo and Oh Jang-Ho may not be the real murderer but they may be the one who triggered it in the first place. (I may be wrong) --- But She is trying to protect her family after all with no plan to kill Joon Young first, probably the kidnapping was just sent a warning sign to his husband and her friend. But in between there may be someone else involving in the process....

In EP1 ending, Baek Soo-Hyun hysterically cried for his son but later realised that the dead body belonged to Choi Joon-Young. But his wife did not behave the same way as his at the scene. I believe Seo Eun-Soo plays a significant role in this drama if you look at the poster ads, even though we followed the whole investigation process through Baek Soo-Hyun's view at the moment.

PS : I remember I watched an old movie. At first it was an unintentional accident that caused a person to faint, but he lifted the fainted person clumsily and slipped down the stairs, hurting himself. The physical injury of the unconscious person had become more serious with the head bleeding and fracture. He then continued to carry the unconscious person into his car and later they encountered a car crash unfortunately. The body was dead instantly but the person who initiated the incident was not dead. It seems like a joke, any sensible or logical person should have called the ambulance before shifting the body) In short, it is important to know the autopsy report of the dead body (although it can be a fake one, as the written report can be amended and influenced by the police or rich people that often appears in kdrama). The most important investigation hint is that the movement of the body can be traced in different locations, because the homicide or accident may not always be the first scene. :) 

It may be more interesting and shocking to discover during the investigation process - love it.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Watch: “The Road: The Tragedy Of One” Cast Fills The Set With Lighthearted Humor

0d6e137b2012413c990bdbabf19fb855.jpeg?s=

Aug 15, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s “The Road: The Tragedy of One” has released a new behind-the-scenes look at the drama!

“The Road: The Tragedy of One” is a new mystery drama about a tragic incident that takes place one night in the pouring rain—and the silence and cover-up that ensue, giving rise to many entangled secrets and leaving further tragedies in their wake.

The making-of video begins with Ji Jin Hee and Kim Sung Soo racing against the setting sun as they hurry to film the outdoor scene. As they battle with the head and the bugs, Ji Jin Hee jokingly blames Lee Jong Hyuk, whose character is dead in the scene, for their troubles. Kim Sung Soo counters with another joke, saying, “It’s because we’re in such a great place. Good things never last long.”

In another clip, Ahn Nae Sang and Kim Hye Eun work together to solidify each minor detail of their scene. In the middle of rehearsal, Kim Hye Eun suddenly falls over. Ahn Nae Sang chides, “You’re an actress full of surprises. You never know what’s going to happen.” Later on, Kim Hye Eun shows Ahn Nae Sang her script, which is full of notes written on the margins. Ahn Nae Sang reads over it in admiration before turning to the camera to lightheartedly announce his regret for not preparing for his scene in the same way.

Ahn-Nae-Sang-Kim-Hye-Eun.jpg

Next, Ji Jin Hee works on placing his bag on the table in just the right spot in order to make it fall over. After he succeeds, he brags about how much time he saved the filming staff by completing the task so quickly.

During rehearsal, Yoon Se Ah picks up one of the files from the bag, but Ji Jin Hee snatches it back in a playful manner, making the staff break out in laughter. The pair engage in some playful banter, and when Yoon Se Ah teasingly asks why he is eating so much, Ji Jin Hee deadpans, “Stress.”

The video wraps up as Ji Jin Hee films a chase scene, which ends with Park Ji Hoon leaping over a banister. As Ji Jin Hee looks down at him, he scolds, “What am I supposed to do if you smile at me?” Ji Jin Hee muses, “What if I open my eyes and stare at him? Wouldn’t that be scary?”. When he tries it out, raucous laughter breaks out on set.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1483824wpp/watch-the-road-the-tragedy-of-one-cast-fills-the-set-with-lighthearted-humor

• Like 4