[Drama 2021] Mine, 마인 - Lee Bo Young, Kim Seo Hyung & Ok Ja Yeon

larus

Cha Hak Yeon Talks About Favorite Scenes From “Mine” And Working With Kim Seo Hyung

0222c05739254d44b68e8476bb36947a.jpeg?s=

Jun 8, 2021
by S. Nam

Cha Hak Yeon picked his favorite scenes from tvN’s “Mine”!

“Mine” is a drama about strong and ambitious women who overcome society’s prejudices to discover what’s truly theirs. Lee Bo Young stars as Seo Hee Soo, a former top actress and the wife of the second son of the chaebol family Hyowon Group. Kim Seo Hyung stars as Jung Seo Hyun, the elegant and well-born wife of the eldest son of Hyowon Group. Jung Yi Seo plays Cadenza’s housemaid Kim Yoo Yeon, while Cha Hak Yeon plays Jung Seo Hyun’s son Han Soo Hyuk.

Spoilers

For his most memorable scenes, Cha Hak Yeon picked the scenes in which his character shared sincere conversations with Kim Yoo Yeon and Jung Seo Hyun at the glass garden, which is Han Soo Hyuk’s hideout.

Although Han Soo Hyuk has a background anyone would be jealous of, he had to painfully bid farewell to his mother when he was young. That wound only festered as he grew up as a third-generation chaebol. After Han Soo Hyuk returned home from studying abroad, he secretly suggested switching rooms with the housemaid Kim Yoo Yeon, who also has insomnia like him. Eventually, Han Soo Hyuk couldn’t hide his wavering heart towards Kim Yoo Yeon, and the two shared a kiss in the rain.

Cha-Hak-Yeon-3.jpg

Cha Hak Yeon shared, “I liked all the scenes in the glass garden. We actually waited until the flowers bloomed to film, and the space is decorated beautifully to that extent. The space contains the tragic stories of Soo Hyuk spending time alone, so all the scenes I acted in the glass garden left a fond and deep impression in my heart. The scene in which Soo Hyuk shares his true feelings and opens up his heart to his mother Seo Hyun for the first time in the glass garden also lingered in my heart deeply.”

Last week’s broadcast revealed Chairman Han’s (Jung Dong Hwan‘s) will, which stated that Han Soo Hyuk would become Hyowon Group’s successor when he turns 30 years old. Han Soo Hyuk stated that he had no desire to follow his grandfather’s will because it isn’t the life he wants.

Although he was distressed by the reality of being picked as the next chairman of Hyowon Group, Han Soo Hyuk remained adamant on his feelings towards Kim Yoo Yeon. Cha Hak Yeon skillfully conveyed the complicated feelings felt by his character, who has lived his life following the expectations his family had for him as Hyowon Group’s grandson. With a woeful gaze and a slight tremble in his voice, the actor portrayed the way Han Soo Hyuk swallowed his sadness with a resolute face.

Cha Hak Yeon explained, “The scene in the glass garden where Soo Hyuk shares the story of his birth mother and opens up his heart to Seo Hyun for the first time touched my heart. Soo Hyuk, who calmly shared his painful story that contrasted with the bright and sunny glass garden, and Seo Hyun, who tried to embrace that Soo Hyuk, will linger in my memories for a long time.”

The actor added, “Thanks to Kim Seo Hyung, who worked together with me, I was able to immerse myself even more and focus on filming the scene. I have a lot of emotional scenes with the senior actors, and I’m always awed to see them act differently for each emotional scene when we start filming although they’re endlessly affectionate and cheerful on a normal basis. Thanks to that, I’m learning to keep in and pour out my emotions a bit differently even while acting in the same situation.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1473509wpp/cha-hak-yeon-talks-about-favorite-scenes-from-mine-and-working-with-kim-seo-hyung

• Like 6

On 6/7/2021 at 12:46 AM, joccu said:

now we know who Emma is. 

the three ladies are in the same side. 

I do wonder why the chairman/grandpa gave the chairman seat to JY.? Does he pity him or what? 

JY is definitely losing his mind. Totally unhinged/psychopath. 

the nodeok scene was so funny. 

I was hilarious when MIL bite Chairman hand in surge of her anger over the will distribution, her act got

caught in the CCTV and everyone in the family was curious how on earth did she saved the Chairman.

Then the peacock out of now where flew back home :D

I love the bonding between Ha-Joon and Hi-Soo at her own private residence, feeding him with foods

which the boy could not enjoy.

I am curious how did Ji-Yong managed to get so much slush fund from the company w/o being investigated and now that he being appointed as the Chairman, situation at HyoWon will get more complicated with more dirty jobs being covered up.

At the courtroom, I gather the 3 ladies scheme for some reasons.

Will Ji-Yong divorce Hi-Soo, maybe yes because now that he is the Chairman.

Maybe no, because he still loves Hi-Soo and Ha-Joon.

Still very curious about Mother Emma identity now that we know she is not Chairman mistress.

Who is she ? 

Will Jin-Hee turn over a new leaf after hearing what Mother Emma confronted her !

Money does not buy happiness but LOVE does.

Seo-Hyun realises all these while she does not have happiness after being married into Hyowon family.

Is a twist that she let  Soo-Hyuk wish to forgo Chairman's will.

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

Okay, so finally gave in and watched the first two episodes. I like the titles of each episode. They have given it some thought. Crazy Rich Asians indeed! But, I am loving the madness, the absurdness , the wackiness of the family and the eccentric characters with their own little idiosyncrasies. :D

I am elated to know that the second DIL is Ji Sung's wife. :wub: I of course hate the tutor. Just in Ep 3 and already hate her. She is one bold and impudent cookie. I don't trust her at all. That bring me to the other new hired help, the new maid. I don't like her either. I mean she looks innocent, but somehow I can't like her. And I absolutely don't want any 'secret' romance between the 'Young Master' and her, but apparently there is (reading the above post). I don't know why I don't like the new hired help. It seems all to easy for her. Falling asleep conveniently on her young master's bed. Leaving behind her scrunchie (to perhaps, make an impression on the young master among the many faceless women he meets). To cut a long story short, she is not as simple and innocent as she appears to be and God, please god, no secret romance defying class barriers. (I had enough of this troupe)

I think I like the mad-hat SIL the most! She is a wacko! Complete nutcase!:lol: She rightly takes after her mad-hat mother. She is my second favourite character after the SIL. The daughter truly takes after her mother. :crazy:

I don't much care about the men in the family. They are all so meh. The young master's painful past doesn't move me much either. He is just another stereotypical rich but unhappy kid who only thinks of a rebellion when he meets a poor, down in the dumps, love of his life . :rolleyes: (Sorry, I am turning into a cynical grumpy old aunt who disapproves of everything.):lol: The first son is a mess. The second son is most probably a cheater. And I have already shared what i think of the young master. I hope the chairman has an ace up his sleeve and he is only 'pretending' to be unwell. Though Father is definitely strange, if he has been celebrating his dead wife's birthday with this much pomp and grandeur. No wonder, the matriarch is so losing it. Her interactions with the peacock are funny. The SIL is another man stuck with a mad woman. There is no love lost between him and his wife for sure. They 'bought' her a husband. As no man in his right mind would willingly marry her unless you give something in return for putting up with her kind of craziness, which can be life threatening too. 

Also, I liked the intended fiancee. She has much more life than the others in the family, barring the two female leads. She would have done a lot good to the young morose master, but he is waning , pining for the listless maid. (This truly is one big crazy family).

Finally coming to the two female leads. The first DIL, I am dying to know her secrets. It must have been tough putting up with  a man like that for years. Wonder who she is having an affair with. None of the men seem to be the mysterious man she might be having an affair with. Could it be a woman? Will that be too sensational? Perhaps that's why she is seeking help from Mother Emma, the bearer of all secrets for the rich and crazy.

I like the second DIL. She has a good heart and her little acts of rebellion do add colour in more ways than one to the dreary, sad, crazy lives of the people living in the two houses.

I know most of what I wrote is based on speculation as I have only completed two episodes but  I am intrigued to know what secrets these people are hiding. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

So far the most annoying characters here are Madam Yang (must she always be so loud?) and Miss Joo + Seong Tae. But they are tolerable since they act as plot devices to move the story along.

Soo Hyuk and Yu Yeon are simply just fillers if we want a break from the drama of the adults. I do like how Seo Hyun eased up on them especially after she saw that he was brave enough to defy the expectation of a business marriage.

If Ji Yong is Mi Ja's son with another man... is his biological father still alive? Or did Chairman Han actually get rid of the competition? Damn! TBH, I was expecting Mother Emma to be Kim Mi Ja. I wonder if they were childhood friends though?

• Like 4
  • Blob 2

16 hours ago, agenth said:

Mother Emma called the chairman "Orabeoni" 오라버니 . It's basically like "oppa", only more formal (respectful) and now a bit outdated/antiquated as rarely used in modern times. 

Basically, orabeoni is more often used in sageuk. 

I'm assuming chairman isn't Emma's natural brother, simply because the setting in which they met looked to me like they were on a dinner date or something like that, only he is more interested in her sister / older friend (the mistress). 

except he is already married i suppose .. so what kind of date is that?

and we supposed she was rich.. where does that got to do with JYs mother who is a tutor or somthin

now regarding the real mother ...this storyline might have been influenced by lby MASTERPIECE drama ( MOTHER )

can she have her sons custody .. after asking for divorce ?

I guess he will be taken away from her now.. and that's what  she meant when was talking to him ..

• Like 5

YaY. 3 women vs. 1 man bravo. 

Hurray to Hee Soo for making the decision to divorce & leave that horrendous family. Good on Ms. Jung for sending her idiotic hubs to an alcoholic rehab. 

Why does it seem like Mother Emma has an unrequited love for the chairman? So the chairman had an unrequited love with Ji Young's birth mom LoL. What a mess. Wonder who his birth dad was? 

Geez why did the peacock return LoL? 

• Like 7
  • Blob 1

Variation on the expression "pigeons coming home to roost"?

I like the twist of the Chairman waking up, the revelation that the Chairman is not Ji Yong's bio dad, and Mother Emma is not Ji Yong's mom but something related to the Chairman.

Did they ever explain who Soo Hyuk's mother is?

I also feel like I missed something with the uncle's mistress - who is she and why does she kind of randomly pop up every now and then?

Is anybody in this family actually biologically related to who they're supposed to be? LOL.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 2

@americanchai

You crack me up with "Is anybody in the family biologically related to who they're suppose to be?" LMFAo! I guess imagine that Hyowon is like a big bowl of tossed salad ha-ha. Well the loud ahjumma & her dumb and dumber children (Jin Ho, Jin Hee) are definitely related ugh. Horrible bunch they are too. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@americanchai

You crack me up with "Is anybody in the family biologically related to who they're suppose to be?" LMFAo! I guess imagine that Hyowon is like a big bowl of tossed salad ha-ha. Well the loud ahjumma & her dumb and dumber children (Jin Ho, Jin Hee) are definitely related ugh. Horrible bunch they are too. 

I know I'm supposed to be annoyed at Jin Ho because Park Hyuk Kwon has this knack for playing douchebag characters (LUCA, Law School) but he's actually both funny and pitiful at the same time. It's Madam Yang and Jin Hee who are really annoying although the daughter is showing some signs of humanity after being scolded by Mother Emma. 

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

@Thong Thin The ladies schemed to show Ji Yong was an immoral man who brought his mistress into the same house as his wife to raise his son. That way, Hi Soo can get custody of the son she raised. The fact is, the birth mom had no chance against the rich family after leaving the child there at 18 months, and, without proving Ji Yong's bad character, Hi Soo as stepmom would have been pushed aside.

So, now Hi Soo is established as the mom, and Ji Yong as the bad dad. And Hi Soo can leave him, and the birth mom will probably get to see her son under some custody sharing arrangement in exchange for her part in all this.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 2

Halfway through EP4 Question Why did Mother Emma carry a lantern when Han Soo-hyuk came looking for the maid, Jung Yi-seo after she was fired from her job? Did anyone else find it strange? I am still trying to understand what made Han Soo-hyuk so attracted towards Jung Yi-seo? Is it her beauty? What made him 'seek' refuge' in her?

Coming back to my serious question, how does Kang Ja-kyung wield so much power? Digging deep into the lives of other rich people? Knowing their secrets! She has expensive habits too. Not to mention making a donation of huge sum to Mother Emma's charitable organization. Moreover, has Kang Ja-kyung and Han Ji-yong have been having an affair behind Seo Hi-soo's back?

• Like 4

Soo Hyuk is attracted to her youth and her outsider-ness. She is not related to anybody in his family, real or imagined (that's been revealed yet, huh huh huh), she's not connected to the company, she is his escape. She is also NOT the girl they are trying to marry him off to for dynastic purposes so that's catnip to somebody whose entire life has been laid out for him already.

Mother Emma and the lantern? Didn't think about it. It was super rainy that night - maybe there's no lights outside the church, though this is modern times and maybe you'd have a flashlight on your phone?

I won't spoil the Ja Kyung/Ji Yong situation if you're only on Ep 4. You'll find out soon enough.

• Like 5

On 6/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, Tango27 said:

except he is already married i suppose .. so what kind of date is that?

and we supposed she was rich.. where does that got to do with JYs mother who is a tutor or somthin

now regarding the real mother ...this storyline might have been influenced by lby MASTERPIECE drama ( MOTHER )

can she have her sons custody .. after asking for divorce ?

I guess he will be taken away from her now.. and that's what  she meant when was talking to him ..

Was he married back then?

Well she could be the daughter of some rich guy, which is why the families set up these two, only Chairman is already in love with someone who is close to her (mistress), as he asked her to arrange something for him. 

2 hours ago, confusedheart326 said:

Halfway through EP4 Question Why did Mother Emma carry a lantern when Han Soo-hyuk came looking for the maid, Jung Yi-seo after she was fired from her job? Did anyone else find it strange? I am still trying to understand what made Han Soo-hyuk so attracted towards Jung Yi-seo? Is it her beauty? What made him 'seek' refuge' in her?

Coming back to my serious question, how does Kang Ja-kyung wield so much power? Digging deep into the lives of other rich people? Knowing their secrets! She has expensive habits too. Not to mention making a donation of huge sum to Mother Emma's charitable organization. Moreover, has Kang Ja-kyung and Han Ji-yong have been having an affair behind Seo Hi-soo's back?

No idea about the lantern, but I agree he only likes her because she is totally different from everybody in the house. It seems like he never met any girls at school (LOL) that the first time he is interested in someone is when he is attracted to someone who laid on his bed and then he thinks it's super normal and acceptable to ask his employee to switch rooms like they are of familiar relationship instead of the 5 minutes they met before. And he doesn't do anything with his time except romance the maid. He has quite a shallow character: as in, what is his part in this drama apart from being the master to the maid? At least the maid is doing something (being relevant to the plot). 

But why am I complaining, it must be love (or smell) at first sight. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 2

My Korean is the lite version so I need help. Do the words longing and painting sound the same? Are they pronounced almost the same/written almost the same? It sounds like there's wordplay with the two words to my ears. A word in the second sentence must sound like "painting", otherwise my ears are playing tricks on me.....

In episode 9 when Seo Hyun says: 

"You are my painting"

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

"Longing for you has become a part of my life"

Spoiler

spacer.png

I could swear I heard a variation of 그림 (painting) in the second sentence...

Perhaps my favourite scene so far. They're really raising my hopes when I came into this drama with extremely low expectations. How far will they go with this relationship's depiction?

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

https://zapzee.net/2021/06/09/k-drama-review-mine-we-cant-help-supporting-the-two-women-who-try-to-claim-whats-theirs/
[K-Drama Review] ’Mine’: We Can’t Help Supporting The Two Women Who Try To Claim What’s ‘Theirs’

by Na Young Gil | Edited by Yang Young Jun | Translated by Na Young Gil | images: tvN

tvN’s Mine wasn’t exactly a highly anticipated series since it was about ‘the lives of the upper class,’ ‘murders,’ ‘affairs,’ and all ‘the complicated feelings between men and women.’ Though the idea of having Lee Bo Young and Kim Seo Hyung as lead roles were appealing, some concerned that the show might turn out to be unoriginal and overly provocative.

1D7BF6DC-2652-4FE6-9B44-E133E7564F96.jpg

But it didn’t take long for them to prove that we worried for nothing. As the show progressed, viewers became engrossed in the story and characters. And now that the show’s run for ten episodes, viewers are engrossed in the show. Let’s discuss the appeal of Mine.

The show revolves around the two daughters-in-laws of the Hyowon Group family, Jeong Seo Hyun, and Seo Hee Soo. Hyowon Group is one of the top 1% wealthy corporations in South Korea. It’s about their journey to find ‘who they truly are’ and claim ‘what’s theirs,’ which they kept hidden in the chain that binds them due to their status as part of a wealthy family.

The show was intense from the beginning. It stirred up the curiosity by starting with a murder (or a mysterious death). Then, it turned the clock back 60 days to slowly show viewers the events leading up to the death. Ever since Chairman Han had collapsed, the greed of the family members and the sketchy behavior of outsiders, who stepped into Han’s household, got jumbled together. Together, they eventually begin to endanger the Hyowon Group.

3D37D3F6-E7E7-488E-82F2-E91F31BA023F.jpg

Unlike the project’s intention, the show’s plot may not be any different from other guilty pleasure shows that have been aired. The complicated family tree on the show doesn’t help either. For example, Han Ji Yong and his son Han Ha Jun are those born out of wedlock. Not only that, Han Ji Yong’s biological mother had worked as Han Ji Yong’s nanny, and his son Han Ha Jun’s birth mother also became Han Ha Jun’s tutor. I’m sure some of these settings could bring headaches for many people. Plus, the show explores a family fighting over inheritance, secret affairs, and the love between a poor woman and a wealthy man. It’s understandable if the show has been labeled “unoriginal.”

But Mine is not like one of those overdramatized guilty pleasure shows that people hate-watch. The show focuses on a bond between Seo Hee Soo and Jeong Seo Hyun and their growth after overcoming all these obstacles. That’s what makes viewers engrossed in the show, and it’s why the show’s relatable. The focal point of the show is the two characters’ stories. And, of course, Lee Bo Young and Kim Seo Hyung’s acting is incredible.

Dyed-in-the-wool noblewoman Jeong Seo Hyun is excellent at hiding her true self. Since she knows how things work in wealthy families, she was never shy around the Hyowon Group family. She eventually became the most influential person in the family. But she has her own share of secrets and pain. To survive as a daughter and daughter-in-law in wealthy families, she had to live in the pain of hiding her sexual identity from everyone, about being a lesbian.

9BB12A04-A2A6-4528-BF54-74D7F1F0217C.jpg

On the other hand, Seo Hee Soo is the opposite of Jeong Seo Hyun. Being a former actress, she doesn’t let herself be constricted by rules or conventions. And she loves who she truly is. It wasn’t easy for her to live as a daughter-in-law in a wealthy family. But since she had what’s entirely hers, her dear husband Han Ji Yong and stepson Ha Jun, she could keep up with it. However, when she found out that Kang Ja Kyung, Ha Jun’s tutor, is her stepson’s biological mother and Ji Yong’s secret mistress, she feels devastated to the point of having a miscarriage.

The person, who reached out to her when she was going through the horror, was no one but Seo Hyun. Even though Hee Soo is the opposite of her, she stood up for her because, perhaps, she saw her past self in Hee Soo. The two women’s bonding, growing and striving to overcome the oppression within Hyowon Group, and breaking the emotional fences they created for themselves, like “an elephant trapped in a narrow doorway,” are the backbone and the biggest weapon of Mine.

Of course, the show has its flaws. Although opinions may differ, among the show’s many subjects(mystery, thriller, black comedy, romance), the romance between Seo Hyun’s son Soo Hyuk and maid Yoo Yeon was the most questionable element. It almost felt like it was a combination of an unnecessary cliché of a Cinderella story and a powerful and progressive show. But because admitting their relationship plays a part in Seo Hyun’s growth, I am willing to put up with it.

Spoiler

F2951C31-DAA6-4285-85C1-91592191FED3.jpg

With six episodes ahead, Mine still has so many unfinished storylines. What’s the truth behind the murder in the Hyowon Group family? Will Seo Hyun and Hee Soo be able to protect themselves and claim what’s theirs? Many viewers can’t wait to see the next episode.

Verdict: A series starring go-to actresses, Kim Seo Hyung and Lee Bo Young as the lead roles. 8/10

Editor Yang Young Jun: There is at least one good part in every movie or TV series. A media geek who isn’t picky with genres.
Translator Na Young Gil: ZAPZEE is the best Korean pop culture community, and I’m happy to be part of it.

————————————

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/06/688_310247.html
'Mine': Everyone has darkness. So do superrich

By Kang Hyun-kyung | 2021-06-10

Spoiler

E5D6995F-2940-4260-AF58-ADDA74365C83.jpg

A scene from TV series "Mine" / Courtesy of tvN

Mystery thriller TV series "Mine" has enjoyed durable popularity since its first episode aired on tvN on May 8 with a relatively high viewership rating of 6 percent. 

The latest episode, which aired last Sunday, hit 9.4 percent ratings. 

Considering that "Mine" is another version of the same old story about a superrich family, sibling rivalry, and the brutal infighting to become the heir of their family business, its steady popularity among viewers is something rare. 

As always, there are things that keep viewers tuning in to the Saturday-Sunday drama. 

Veteran supporting actors who know how to spice up the TV series are some of the unsung heroes behind its steady popularity. 

Ms. Ji (played by Park Sung-yeon) seems to be one of the top contributors. Playing a housekeeper in charge of domestic staff, she is disciplined, ambitious but playful. Having served the superrich family for 10 years on, she knows all the dirty secrets of each family member. Her knowledge is her weapon. To keep her quiet, Mr. Han, president of Hyowon Group and owner of the mansion, gave her a four-bedroom apartment in Seoul's affluent southern district of Gangnam. But she is not satisfied with the financial compensation. 

Park recreated the ambitious lower-class woman's character with her witty reactions and playful interruptions which help viewers find time to laugh while watching the mysterious thriller full of turns and twists.

Park Hyuk-kwon who plays Han Jin-ho, Mr. Han's incompetent, helpless first son, is another supporting actor who makes the drama addictive. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he is the spoiled brat of the family. With his consistently disappointing academic and professional performances, he failed to impress his father to be chosen as heir apparent to succeed his multi-billion-dollar business. A reformed alcoholic, he keeps trying to win back his father's heart and remove his smart younger brother, a child born out of wedlock, from his father's radar in the selection of his successor.

The more he does that, however, the more his actions screw him up. 

"Mine" overcomes the temptation of portraying a simple dichotomy of a competition between good and evil characters. In many dramas, the haves are portrayed as greedy, destructive and self-serving, while the have-nots are the ones that are always down to earth, genuine and good natured. Viewers are sick and tired of that kind of simplistic, unconvincing storytelling. 

"Mine" seeks an alternative storytelling. It says greed and desires are part of every human's nature, regardless of wealth or social status. 

Kim Sung-tae (played by Lee jung-ok), for example, is a male employee of the family responsible for property maintenance. He is poor but has the heart to pity the billionaires living dramatic lives with no peace in sight. But the man who seems to be the last person to cheat on others is wicked enough to steal Mr. Han's iconic blue diamond necklace he purchased at an auction.

"Mine" captures the darkness that every human has ― no matter how rich and successful they are ― and this makes it different from other dramas about superrich families. 

The drama writer's sophisticated skill in touching on lesbian love, a topic that has rarely been addressed in Korean TV series, also plays a part in its lasting success. 

Jung Seo-hyun (played by Kim Seo-hyung), Mr. Han's daughter-in-law, has been involved in "forbidden love" even before she married her husband. Her love interest was (and still is) a woman she met in college. They both found their hearts were pounding whenever they are together. Also born with a silver spoon in her mouth, Jung was raised and educated to live like other women of superrich families. She chose to live the way she was supposed to and married her husband for the sake of her parents' business. Her heart, however, is still wrenching because of her choice. 

Veteran actor Kim perfectly pulls off that character, a woman who has it all but feels her life is empty because of her decision to choose her family over her love.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Thanks for sharing the article @Helena.  I am relieved to know that I am not the only person who found the secret romance between 'the young master' and the maid' totally cliched and unnecessary. Not to mention the whole 'process' of them falling in love with each other. I understand she was different, perhaps the only female he had been in contact with since he lived a restricted live, but it is still difficult to imagine a grown up man to be so obsessed with her. But I am going to accept the explanation forwarded by my chingus @Latte_Anyday  and @agenth  and look at the couple less cynically and put on my rose-tinted glasses (Maybe that is why the couple were always encompassed in a rosy haze.) :D But TBH, I don't find their story interesting and I often fast forward / skip their scenes. There are other more interesting characters in the family. I think his bid to freedom would be 'renouncing' his family and wealth as they seem to constrict him ('an elephant trapped in a narrow doorway'). His has to be the most unoriginal and cliched storyline among all. They are two insipid characters who have the luxury to play their silly love games and the biggest sacrifice asked of him is to get married to the heiress. She seems to genuinely like him and seems like a good person. She is the bubblier self of  Seo Hi-soo and IMO, I don't think it would have been a bad match. He could do with a livelier people, not listless, insipid maids.

(Yes, I totally dislike the couple (the characters) and their storyline) :tears:  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

26 minutes ago, confusedheart326 said:

Thanks for sharing the article @Helena.  I am relieved to know that I am not the only person who found the secret romance between 'the young master' and the maid' totally cliched and unnecessary. Not to mention the whole 'process' of them falling in love with each other. I understand she was different, perhaps the only female he had been in contact with since he lived a restricted live, but it is still difficult to imagine a grown up man to be so obsessed with her. But I am going to accept the explanation forwarded by my chingus @Latte_Anyday  and @agenth  and look at the couple less cynically and put on my rose-tinted glasses (Maybe that is why the couple were always encompassed in a rosy haze.) :D But TBH, I don't find their story interesting and I often fast forward / skip their scenes. There are other more interesting characters in the family. I think his bid to freedom would be 'renouncing' his family and wealth as they seem to constrict him ('an elephant trapped in a narrow doorway'). His has to be the most unoriginal and cliched storyline among all. They are two insipid characters who have the luxury to play their silly love games and the biggest sacrifice asked of him is to get married to the heiress. She seems to genuinely like him and seems like a good person. She is the bubblier self of  Seo Hi-soo and IMO, I don't think it would have been a bad match. He could do with a livelier people, not listless, insipid maids.

(Yes, I totally dislike the couple (the characters) and their storyline) :tears:  

No no, feel free to be cynical. Honestly I hate this love/plotline so much, perhaps a little too much. But I can't get over their first "meeting". I think if they had started interacting in a different way from episode 2 onwards, and episode 1 just with glances, I wouldn't be as disgusted as I am now, because the whole premise isn't that mindblowing. As it stands, the whole reverse Snow White situation has me want to throw these scenes out of the window. 

The PD for Mine is the one who also directed Love Alarm 1, so that explains the rose-tinted glasses. Whenever they come on I know it's my turn to roll my eyes. But maybe I'm too cynical and think that the rose tint means that they are promoting loooooooove is all around instead of being irony? 

Season 10 Hug GIF by Friends

How far along are you? 

I agree that Master has no other plotline and purpose. I wish he'd at least be shown what else he does with his remaining hours that he doesn't spend in a maid's bed. 

• Like 4

@confusedheart326

Have you not notice how I skirted around the young master & the maid in my posts LoL? I've not mentioned those 2 if at. all. Well at a bare minimum at least. 

I think the casting for the idol as the young master Soo Hyuk was to draw in his fans to raise ratings? Although this drama is doin' well ratings wise. And their romance is probably to rope in the younger demographic. Like how Ro Na & Seok Hoon for The Penthouse. Though those 2 have 0 chemistry imo. 

I'm here mostly for Ms. Jung, I don't even care for Hee Soo or Hye Jin for that matter LoL. Oh of course I'd like to see how Ji Young will go down in flames. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I just got done with Ep 6 and the not so earth shattering kiss. :rolleyes: I agree they have zero chemistry. I don't know if they have been successful in getting the younger demography involved. They are extremely boring. Both. I have no interest / sympathy for the poor rich master. Yes, he has a terrible family. Many do. But we all learn to survive.  Also, are we supposed to feel admiration for the maid? If she really didn't want to get involved, she would not have crossed the boundaries. Moreover, she would have refused to go back, even if the master threatens to stay at the fast food joint and eat hamburgers all day! Grow up, woman! It was just so convenient for her to mistakenly 'confess' her reasons for leaving when she 'thought' he was asleep. Theirs has to be the weakest, most contrived, most boring of all storylines. Period. That 'handsome' Idol face doesn't do anything for me. He needs to work on his expressions and not look so dead.  Even when he i kissing the love of his life, there is no emotion. You just don't feel the pent up passion, the frustration etc.

@agenth Now we are talking. No wonder it has the Love Alarm vibes, the 'love story' I mean. :crazy:  The peacock has more emotions than the insipid , listless young couple.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1