[Drama 2020/2021] True Beauty, 여신강림

0ly40

15 hours ago, starrynic said:

Though I don’t understand why would JK push SH away when he has known the truth about her bare face since day one?

The FL needs a kind of acceptance by the society, by the classmates at that moment, and thus she doesn't need SH (even though he knew about her bare face). Acceptance in human psychology is a person's assent to the reality of a situation. Any teenager tends to desire to be accepted among friends as part of that group, and act upon that desire through peer pressure, and that shown clearly in this drama. Look at the group of noisy boys in the hospital room or in classroom, they always seek for friends/bromance relationship and they "cry over" it if 1st or 2nd ML ignore them (eg. the knitting scene when their friends suddenly pop up, that was funny too :D)

It is true that human tends to seek for acceptance in the society. Before the acceptance by others, one needs to learn self-acceptance which is why the teenage FL is struggling all these while with her bare face especially in Korean society, sad to say...In order to tolerate the differences and diversity in others whether in school or society, most people try to look and behave like others do in order to fit in to the group/society.

The push away SH scene is purposeful and carried a meaning - social acceptance is more important than anything else in class at that moment. Hope this helps explained why she did that?

I like three of them become closer and good friends eventually. Especially 2nd ML has a very kind heart, I love his character and he always bridge the gap between FL and ML should there be any misunderstanding or trouble between them.:D

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, Jillia said:

“The Penthouse” Star Kim Young Dae To Make Special Appearance In “True Beauty”

“The Penthouse” Star Kim Young Dae To Make Special Appearance In “True Beauty”

Jan 22, 2021
by E. Cha

Get ready to see Kim Young Dae in an upcoming episode of tvN’s “True Beauty”!

On January 22, the producers of the popular drama officially announced, “Kim Young Dae will be making a special appearance in ‘True Beauty’ that will air in early February.”

Although it has not yet been revealed what role Kim Young Dae will be playing in “True Beauty,” an unconfirmed report by Star News has claimed that he will be acting opposite Moon Ga Young for his cameo.

Kim Young Dae is currently starring in both SBS’s “The Penthouse” and KBS 2TV’s “Cheat on Me If You Can.” The actor previously starred in the 2019 drama “Extraordinary You,” which was helmed by “True Beauty” director Kim Sang Hyub.

Are you excited for Kim Young Dae’s special appearance in “True Beauty”?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1450081wpp/the-penthouse-star-kim-young-dae-to-make-special-appearance-in-true-beauty

Ah.. .will he be that university senior who likes Jungkyung in the webtoon?

Anyway, the second half of the drama is getting interesting. The conflicts, the lovey dovey, friendship and bromance are there. It feels like we are brought to the roller coaster ride of each character feelings. I hope it will keep doing that way, more conflicts but not too dramatize the situation. I think this is why I like True Beauty, a light and warm harted drama.

I predict that ep. 13-14 will be the resolution of Jungkyung's self confidence, she may gain more confidence in herself, of she might move to another school and has a long distance relationship with Suho? 

And in ep. 15 may be Suho will go abroad bcs his dad is sick (based on the webtoon), or to continue his study. Then there will be a time lapse/ jump. They meet again when they are adult in ep. 15-16. Lol.. just guessing...

oh... not forget to mention that I cant help but love every jungkyung and suho moments. They are so sweet, and somehow... Suho and jungkyung seems to like kissing each other. 3 kissing scenes + their other failed attempt to kiss because of the sudden appearance of the third person lol! 

Whatever it is, I'm digging a happy ending for all of them. Jungkyung and Suho. Seojun could be an idol and dates a celebrity lol ... Aahhh.. how I wish I were the scriptwriter, lol.. I cant wait to know how the story will be like, but I know that it will be empty knowing that the drama will end soon (in less than 2 weeks).

• Like 3

After looking at episode 12, clearly Soo-jin was just a pretender. Can't believe she turned out to be such a RickRoll'D acting like a woman scorned. All because of jealousy, Soo-ho told her up front and honestly that he don't like her but there she is still pushing up herself to him. Soo-jin deluding herself in thinking that she and Soo-ho were an item and Ju-kyung came between them. When up against her parents she acts like a weakling, why doesn't she use that same RickRoll'D attitude towards her dad who bullies her? Instead she's lashing out on someone who is weaker and more vulnerable than her, poor Ju-kyung who already suffers with poor self esteem. Could not believe she was so crass and bold faced enough to throw Ju-kyung necklace into the fire in front of Soo-ho (who she knows bought it).

On the bright side I enjoyed seeing Soo-ho & Ju-kyung lovey dovey scenes, they really do have a lot of kissing scenes lol.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Shari Exactly! How my heart hurts for JK in the preview for episode 13 when Soo Jin told her to go hide herself?! She really is a b*#ch. What I love about this drama is that everyone was so straightforward, SH told Soo Jin outright that he doesn’t like her, JK told Seo Jun that the one she likes is SH. JK even told Soo Jin that she and SH are already dating. It’s so refreshing to see that! Hate all the ambiguity and guessing we see so much in kdramas. 

I too love all the lovey dovey scenes of our Shin shin OTP. :wub:

• Like 4

Here I come, bring an interesting fact that I just found. Some say that the plot of the drama is confusing, getting nowhere, not worth to watch (bcs their fav character is treated unfairly/ dont have the girl, etc. (You can guess who would say something like this about the drama). Some even say that the drama should change the title, because it has different plot from the webtoon.

But look what I've found https://pann--choa.blogspot.com/2020/04/enter-talk-updated-cha-eunwoo-cast-as.html?m=1, I think I understand now why the production team changes the plot a lot for the drama (I dont mean to hate the webtoon, but I agree that the plot in the webtoon isn't that strong enough to be made into a drama). 

I'm glad that the drama version has more progress in every character & story development. Although the "teaming issue" seems to be toned down now (who's not in love with the bromance between suho and seojun >_<), but some people are still busy talking bad about the drama, just because his fav character dont have the girl. They even ask Suho to go to Japan ASAP lol. Nevermind...

And here is another interesting and insightful analysis, still coming from the same site that I shared some days ago.

https://life-rewritten.tumblr.com/post/641012990799380480/true-beauty-problematic-bullies-and-strained

Imo, the love triangle is no longer the main issue of this drama. The story has moved on to friendship, bromance, developing romantic relationship between suho x jungkyung, bullying/ family issue, what's being pretty, etc. So, it's unfortunate to find some people still watch this drama only for a moment/ opportunity where their fav character can get attention from his bestfriend's gf :(

• Like 3

EP 12 Review:

Can IJG have a twin or an they give Seojoon another Heroine, Ahh my teen heart cries for him.

Sujin should study considering how Her father is, but she'll rather chase Suho and Post Blind Item articles to defame IJG Wonderful. Character Digression thy name is Sujin. Why on earth will she Photograph Juho kissing? Dang. Pathetic.

Sujin saying If she confessed first that she Liked Suho he would have fallen for her anyway, Lord did she read Ashes of Love first? Runyu says the same thing, Get this Confessing first isn't gonna make them fall for YOU!!!

FYI Juho do kiss good, teen hormone Yo!

TEEN BOYS Knitting !!!>>> Mommas all over will be proud, what a scene LMAO.

Seojoon Slamming PYM phone and breaking it. HAWT worth the RAWR IJG keeps on doing lol.

What is the best advantage of having a rich BF? You can misplace any Swarovski Pieces and get them replaced in hours!!!

Instagramer IJG being touted as a Goddess of School. Social Media Influence right there!!

Unnie describes Teacher as Juicy Grapefruit Lover. IJG and Suho hearing Unnie constantly say this and wondering when did their teacher become OUR JUICY GRAPEFRUIT EPIC!!!! Teacher and his reactions Hhahahaha. In IM Family Ladies Rule.

Poor younger brother also fell for the sassy one who calls him poopFly Lol.

:crazymad:

Had IJG not being promoted as a School Mascot Goddess the ricochet effect of Blind Item article would be less. She is now a Semi-Celeb and dunno what Annoyance and Chinese whispers from her classmates will do now.

• Like 1

@airasara Thanks for the links to the articles. The emphasis on external beauty in Korean culture is so belittling and heartbreaking, sigh. Nobody can choose the face they’re born with, life is not fair. 

I loved how the writer from

https://life-rewritten.tumblr.com/post/641012990799380480/true-beauty-problematic-bullies-and-strained 

summarized the whole drama up till episode 12, and I truly hope the rest of the episodes we can see true growth of all 4 of them, Ju Gyeong, Su Ho, Seo Jun and Soo Jin. 

As much as true beauty is about a love triangle  between these three, it’s also a really touching friendship between all of them. Kyung becomes like the weird replacement (not really) for Seyoeon because she brings back that passion and zeal into these two’s lives, and she provides a companionship to them that is different from others, they also do the same for her. So I’m delighted despite the heartbreaks and loss that they found each other, I’m glad they’re friends at the end of the day, they care about each other a lot, and even if Seojun somehow ends up the third wheel and the one that’s left out a bit, I’m glad that his friendship with Kyung and Suho is still more important to him than vindictiveness or jealousy. Then again, like I said Seojun compared to Soojin is in a different headspace, environment and has more from life than she does. Her mistakes and her betrayal hurts, but it makes sense, I just hope she grows and changes before it’s too late. I hope she finds love, peace and happiness someday. Everyone deserves that.

cr: https://life-rewritten.tumblr.com/post/641012990799380480/true-beauty-problematic-bullies-and-strained

• Like 3

While this drama is funny and entertaining to watch, I hope realistically others watching get a message out of it. That bullying someone because of their looks is not ok, it can have sad results that put everyone on a different path in life. If someone is a bully, I hope by watching this drama that they change themselves. If someone is a victim of bullying, I hope that person loves him/herself and stand up to the bully. It is not ok to torture people and it is not ok to let others torture you. 

• Like 4

Yeay.. tommorow is Wednesday, means True Beauty day! While waiting the new episode, let me share some MV of True Beauty ost!

https://youtu.be/CXNqtbgW1O0

https://youtu.be/s1gs0OCb5AQ

https://youtu.be/ed1KkQ7_SeQ

https://youtu.be/b5RD702KxJo

https://youtu.be/drrOmpcbd8U

https://youtu.be/xUK7CJEqMJI

I think this drama has some good songs. So here they are, enjoy!

• Like 4

I saw the episode live and it was really a nice episode.  I liked how Soo ho really tried his best to give his utmost support to JK from bringing her out of her shell.  And finally her mom came to know about the bullying and felt really sorry for not paying attention to her properly.  What a b**** SJ was!!!! Seo Jun's scenes were over shadowed but he also did his part by confronting SJ.  Atlast JK had let off her fear and announced that indeed she is dating LSH and he is her BF.  That preview though,  I could not catch up to the dialogues fully but it seems SH is leaving for US coz of some misunderstanding.

• Love 1

Looks like it's taking the webtoon route more now. Su Ho's dad is well and is keeping a low profile in US. In webtoon, the dad is unwell and need Su Ho to care for him. Only it's Japan instead. I like that Seo Joon asked Su Ho first before confessing to Ju Gyung in next ep. preview. The way he tried to defend her online ha-ha. 

Ju Young and mom seem much more gentler, understanding in ep. 13. Which is about time if ya ask me. I laughed when Ju Young told Seo Joon they both have one-sided loves LoL. Joon Woo thought Ju Gyung's absence was due to him dating Hee Kyung oh geez LoL. 

Anyways with 3 more ep. to go I wonder how this will all turn out as it seems that Su Ho is breaking up with Ju Gyung for real this time... Still find Soo Ah's reaction puzzling? Good on Ju Gyung in standing up for herself.

• Like 3

i am disapointed in drama bc they drag this fake love triangle RickRoll'D till end, sorry but seo jun is selfish, what is a point of his confession at this point when she jk is in happy relationship with his friend? suho would never...also it is sloppy writing, they were happy and now sudden break up and seo jun is coming, after all if she doesnt end up with suho it would be drama downgrade (even tho whole drama is average to me)

also many seo jun fans want s2 just bc that he can be with jk, s2 would be boring, what plot of that would be jk and seo jun relationship and nothing else bc drama and webtoon are becoming basically love triangle drama

i was hoping that in last 3 ep we would get selflove and growth for all characters but they deciced to pull out seo jun love triangle twist, nah...

i.hope suho is endgame and no cliffhanger and s2, people be like but love alarm had s2, yes love alarm had only 8 ep and its on netflix, penthouse had more episodes then tb but mad ratings and interesting plot...

i am so disapointed in drama, wasting of time, just like start up last 4 episodes when they draged the RickRoll'D out love triangle, okay if she liked seo jun a little bit but she clearly doesnt ... this i last thing i watched from that director, so bad

• Like 3

This season barely has a plot. If people want to see more of hot Eun Woo and Hwang In Yeop being cute with the FL then just say that but this drama does not need another season. 

Listen, Eun Woo is attractive, his moments with Moon Ga Young are cute, and Seo Jun is another hot guy. That's the real draw of this drama in my humble opinion. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, baelily said:

sorry but seo jun is selfish, what is a point of his confession at this point when she jk is in happy relationship with his friend? suho would never...also it is sloppy writing, they were happy and now sudden break up and seo jun is coming, after all if she doesnt end up with suho it would be drama downgrade

@baelily I totally agree. Writers seem to like to drag the pointless love triangle till like the last episode sigh. I gave up on Start-Up because of the stupid pointless love triangle too. 

Even though I’m #TeamSuHo ALL THE WAY, I kinda get why Seo Jun wants to confess though, I think he’s tired of holding and suppressing his love inside of him and just wants to let Ju Gyeong know that he treats her more than a friend, even though he knows the one she likes is Su Ho. He just wants her to know. I feel like maybe he doesn’t want anything in return? 

Anyway. Loved episode 13! Heart broke for Ju Gyeong many times, but so happy that her mom finally knows and understands her. But! I’m most happy that Ju Gyeong finally sorted out her feelings and stood up to the bully girls! Also loved loved loved how Su Ho stepped up to her and kissed her on the forehead and hugged her :wub: He’s the most perfect and amazing bf ever!!!!!!! 

• Like 3

I guess they just can’t seem to let go of this love triangle huh. Lol. I didn’t see the point of SJ confessing in the next episode but maybe that’s his closure to end his one sided love and move on. He can’t get the girl so it’s best to just be her friend. Except as always, there will be misunderstandings between our OTP. Seems like from the preview JK and SJ are out and SH asked her about it the next day. She must have not given him the answer he wanted cause he’s on that plane. Lol... Poor SH, he ran around a lot in today’s episode looking for JK. Honestly, he’s been a great BF so far, he’s been there for her and regardless of what anyone says or do, he speaks his mind and do what he wants when it comes to her. I hope the last two episodes will give us more couple moments instead of him going away, we get a jump to a few years, then we see him wheeling his suitcase and meeting her in the middle of the street then the story ends. Gosh I hate those kind of ending....lol. Don’t do this to us ok writers?!

• Like 2
  • Love 1