[Drama 2020] Dinner Mate/Shall We Eat Dinner Together?, 저녁 같이 드실래요?

larus

46 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

This was indeed a sweet gesture but was no one else kind of bothered that she only took maybe two spoonful and then no more? Most of it was left overnight and he threw it away in the morning. However, I must say that at least Korean drama shows let the actors eat because in Chinese drama food are almost always a decoration. I like to see the actors actually eat food if that’s what they’re supposed to be doing in the scene.

Yes, that made me crazy!  He put so much caring into it, how could she not eat?!  Where I come from, it would be considered the height of rudeness to waste the food someone made especially for you and worse to let it go uneaten as the person sat right there with you.

I always kinda wonder about how much food the actors have to consume in those scenes.  If there are a lot of "takes" then that is a lot of food!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thistle said:

That was lovely.....but I have to admit that I was busy thinking about just how long it takes to make soup like that.  It is Not a "quick fix" like ramen.  Poor DH would have been waiting awhile (like more than an hour or maybe even two) for her nice warm bowl of goodness.

Hahahah! That's actually what I said aloud when he opened the pot! I was like hey this kind of stew/soup don't break down so quickly and he isn't using a pressure cooker! Hahahaha but after that I ignored myself. Plus he cut the ingredients up so clunky, impossible that it could come together like that without a solid 3 hours!!!

1 minute ago, fluffyloaf said:

Hahahah! That's actually what I said aloud when he opened the pot! I was like hey this kind of stew/soup don't break down so quickly and he isn't using a pressure cooker! Hahahaha but after that I ignored myself. Plus he cut the ingredients up so clunky, impossible that it could come together like that without a solid 3 hours!!!

Exactly!  Those carrot chunks were massive!  :lol:  I make a lot of soup, so I know for a fact what it takes to produce the kind of soup he made--it takes time.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who couldn't quite ignore it.  :P

Lol. I was so busy wondering what cut beef it was. Then going ' did he used a pasta sauce and then blanched a whole tomato as well? That's way too much tomato in the stew and the broccoli would have been boiled to death. And that was sour cream right?

But I finally finished episode 10. Mama mia if I could have gasped aloud and clutched my hair I would. The tension was a bit much for me but the presumptuous ex in this drama are  living in la- la land. However I think those 2 have done post graduate degrees to be clingy ex.

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Lol. I was so busy wondering what cut beef it was. Then going ' did he used a pasta sauce and then blanched a whole tomato as well? That's way too much tomato in the stew and the broccoli would have been boiled to death. And that was sour cream right?

I've been vegetarian for most of my life so I could not begin to say what the cut of meat might be but I can tell you that if you want to thicken up a tomato-based soup, then tomato paste is your best buddy.....but it still takes time.  Pureeing is another trick to thicken a soup but you can't do that unless anything like those massive chunks of carrot are cooked through.  Yeah, I guess I know a little bit about soup.  :D  I didn't notice sour cream (which is a good topping for some sorts of soup)--I though that was a coddled egg.  

Think I'm gonna have to go re-watch the soup scene.  For research purposes, of course.  ;) 

editing.....and so I did.  The ingredients that HK brings out of that apparently empty (!) fridge are classic hearty veggie stew: potato, onion, leek, carrot, celery, and tomato.  With the addition of a tiny stalk of broccoli (which I, frankly, wouldn't add).

His cooking method also is not quite right but that's maybe me being fussy and having learned something different.  One thing I can say, though, is that the finished pot of soup contains browned meat and that cannot happen unless you actually brown it before you plop it in the soup.  He didn't.

He also has on hand two jars.  One appears to contain some tomato-based sauce.  The other could be broth.  He would still need oil, and I don't think that the second jar is oil because it's cloudy.

And, yes, I believe that is a coddled egg on top of the soup.  That's a nice addition when serving if you break the runny yoke open and stir it in a little to allow it to flavor the soup.

Okay, since I cook a lot, here's the right way to make Thistle's Veggie Soup (and this is pretty much what HK's soup should have been but just without meat)--it will only take about 40 minutes start to finish:

Heat an empty soup pot.  Add about a teaspoon of sea salt and allow it to season the pot for ten seconds or so.  Lower the heat.  Add olive oil (it has tendency to smoke if the heat is high, so tend carefully).  Add diced garlic, onion, and leek to stir fry until translucent.  (The order in which you add the ingredients is important because the oil will flavor the stew and you want the vegetables with the most volatile oils [like any sort of allium] to be added first .)  Add finely chopped carrot and celery (be sure to include celery leaves for an added "bite" because they are peppery in flavor).  Stir until softened.  Now add a large can of whole tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste, and a small amount of boiling water (do not chill or "drown" the soup!).  Finally, add peeled chopped potato.   Allow to simmer for about half an hour.  Near the end of cooking time, add a clove or two of very finely chopped garlic to add a top note of flavor (yes, you are adding garlic twice).  Season with salt and pepper.  Puree it if you want a smooth soup or puree half of the soup and leave the other half "chunky" and stir together to serve.  In any case, serve with a soft coddled egg on top.

Yeah, I didn't talk about amounts but I think that cooking is best done with your heart using whatever you have on hand; you learn to adjust as you gain experience in soupmaking.

LMFAO yall are the best. This page basically talking about that stew so far. I love it.  It did make me crave stew (lamb stew to be exact!) and then I thot about how long it'd take and I was like nah I'll have something quick. 

The couple always have a full spread of food and I never see them finish it! That's wasteful.  

Sorry to steer back into topic since I just finished watching with sub.  The DD are so manipulative.  I'm getting really annoyed now.  JH needs to get all the help there is available but I suppose until he wants it, theres nothing anything can do it. For now. 

I'm so happy HKs mom keeps telling NE that she doesn't like her. I lolled. Girl has thick skin. 

Not counting all the swoony scenes, my fav today is when our couple watching K and AY from the convenience store. Their faces are priceless (not as much as someone's pouty face but close)! 

Ok I'm moving on to my other show for tonight. Yall keep talking about food. Seriously my fav thing. :lol:

17 minutes ago, lalalaelala said:

The DD are so manipulative.  I'm getting really annoyed now.  JH needs to get all the help there is available but I suppose until he wants it, theres nothing anything can do it. For now. 

You know, I am reminded of those grabby exes every time I see the name of DH's apartment building:  Gol-Lum.  

GollumMyPrecioussss.jpg

Everyone is so concerned about the unfinished food LOL... I have come to terms with that while watching kdramas show, including untouched coffee/beverages in a coffee shop :lol:  You called someone out to talk and in less than a minute, “I’ve said my piece, bye-bye”.... Now, I am more concerned why no kiss yet!! The girl is ready, Dr. Kim!! She closed her eyes!!

Clingy exes ~ I am practicing the principle “when you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything”

@Kvothe @celebrianna @ck1Oz @fluffyloaf @thistle Concur it was waste of food and the time to make the soup didn’t add up. I know it’s tv still. He did spend time making it and age didn’t eat much of it. My mom taught me to clear your plate. Or if you didn’t like what you ate, try it but ok not to finish it. But better to make best efforts to finish.

@ktcjdrama I agree. HK asked to meet GW during sweet drink break. HK left him and barely touched full drink after asking for DH’s photo.

Thanks @thistle for your recipe. I love cooking and def quickest soups I make are miso and Korean soy bean paste or a egg drop with creamed corn soup. Otherwise the soups take time to make.

@lalalaelala omg Other than our beloved pouty face, the fact DH and HK were watching Keanu and AY as if they were watching sporting event was cute! I did also like DH sudden aegyo to HK before his first episode.:Ohboy3:

GW sweet guy too much of a meddler . NE acting all knowing trying to give DH advice on what flowers HK mom likes. I liked how HK mom did not make DH awkward . She did use HK mom name when drunk their first meeting . I agree I love how she will not help NE!

Liked DH pep talk to AY not to give up after one attempt up Keanu.:cheers:

Liked how HK doesn’t play games with DH in front of NE and her. NE knows HK likes DH so think it is misplaced bravado thinking she can get him back again.

After the ex JH promised to finish and go back to USA he pulls the stunt to eat strawberry cake  when he  is allergic. Brings back Keanu words and even JH own to HK- he will do all what it takes. Don’t believe that meek act for a second.:emmm:

JK really is not perceptive. Even saying JH and NE must be dating. The gags of his BO are not funny though used as a punchline. He needs help!

Pouty face HK was epic so next episode Netflix and Chill here we come. The stages of a skinship with DH. He is patient and holding himself in check. The confession & checking hand, meal and also putting on bear band aid on her hand injury. Loving the drawing of them and he saved as screen saver! Covering DH with is jacket to then cook for her and flirt/tease her. First lay her head in his chest and pat her back. I liked he later held her hand and swung it making him feel like a teenager ago. Too cute! After ramen he shows his thanks kissing her forehead ( she was not expecting that). I def could tell he loved teasing her and sharing - when he hugged her I was holding myself back if I should go inside your place and all other Impure thoughts to conclude his fancy degree is useless for times like this. DH thoroughly looking disappointed and saying being his GF wasn’t fun. Lol. :P

Cute how BJ wanted to know HK and DH (they were cats and dogs) but after seeing the kitchen he knew something was fishy. Loved HK dressed up , got morning sweet coffee for BJ going completely out of character. Love how he tried to protect HK with a broom.

I’ve finally watched Episodes 9 and 10. Goodness. I couldn’t stop smiling and silent screaming afterwards! What have Kim Hae-kyung and Woo Do-hee done to me? I have not been as invested and involved in a Kdrama and its characters since “My Ahjussi”. Interestingly enough, our lovable hobo, Keanu, was one of the actors in that drama. 

Anyway, I’m trying to gather my thoughts first so I’ll make more sense when I share my reaction. Right now, all I can say is GYAAAHHHH!!!

:heart2beat:

on the unfinished beef stew, which looked delicious (we make that at home and it’s a very filling dish that goes wonderful with rice as a topping :rolleyes:), I told myself Hae-kyung put it away in the fridge for him or at least for Byeong-jin to eat later. I don’t think Byeong-jin gets to step out of the clinic for lunch when his boss is out for lunch himself. :)

My favorite moment in episode 10 (besides the forehead kiss and who wouldn't love that?!) was when AY told Keanu to follow her and he realized she had forgotten her purse so he had to bring it along.  I laughed so hard at how he carried that purse.  It was just purely cute!

I just finished watching Epi 10 and I am mad at JH (DH ex). So manipulative!

I'm sure he knew he was allergic to that cake before he even took a bite of it.

Oh wait! Hehehe. I'm assuming he'll turn out allergic to it because of the fuss they made of him eating it.

Manipulative li'l sh^t!

Anyway, love the interactions of both couple in this episode.

They are so cute!! I am giddy with excitement whenever HK smiles those suggestive smiles at DH.

Eeeehhhh! :crazymad:

I knew SSH was a hottie but he's so much better off with these kind of roles where he smiles a lot and often laughs out loud. He's cute even when he's old enough to be an ahjussi. 

Go, SSH! Give those pretty boys a run for their money!

14 minutes ago, ElleSor said:

I just finished watching Epi 10 and I am mad at JH (DH ex). So manipulative!

I'm sure he knew he was allergic to that cake before he even took a bite of it.

I have no doubt that he bit into that strawberry on purpose to get DH's attention.  It was a very dirty trick.  He is trying to buy himself some sympathy, and I hope that he does Not get any.

I'm not going to comment on all the food we never see them eat because I seen some shows where they eat so much during the takes sometime the eating scene never make it in the final cut 

I'm trying to understand why do the ex think he can just keep asking someone else girlfriend to talk to him in private like she has to keep catering to his feelings they dated for six years five years ago is it me or is he really insane I'm trying my best to understand both the exes but I feel their both delusional 

What is it about this first love thing 

13 minutes ago, Misstinker said:

I'm not going to comment on all the food we never see them eat because I seen some shows where they eat so much during the takes sometime the eating scene never make it in the final cut 

I'm trying to understand why do the ex think he can just keep asking someone else girlfriend to talk to him in private like she has to keep catering to his feelings they dated for six years five years ago is it me or is he really insane I'm trying my best to understand both the exes but I feel their both delusional 

What is it about this first love thing 

Exactly, they (ex-es) speak with so much authority for speaking in private. And its annoying to see that they both (DH and KHK) even go with them to talk. Those ex don't even deserve that much courtesy.

But there is no point talking about it, as this old relation is going to be dragged till the very end, since that's the theme.

Let's just hope ex-es tactics doesn't turn rubbish.

22 minutes ago, thistle said:

It's not you.  Keanu has tried twice to warn HK that JH is completely compulsive and possibly dangerous.

Yup, obsession has always been scary. Especially when the obsessed person turns manipulative and violent.

Lmao. The soup discussion has been hilarious. I went back to have a look too just to see what coddled egg in the soup. And yes it was maybe just crushed tomato in a bottle and yes the meat was browned. And yes his white polo top stayed splatter free. Hahaha. And no, this is not my sort of soup which I would ever cook for my kids. They won't eat it. Too much tomato- based. Well at least it was not the usual bowl of colourful capsicum and onions. And the artfully tossing spaghetti dish. That dish always makes me laugh whenever it appears in a Kdrama.

I sometimes avoid cringy scenes. And when the CEO threw herself at Keanu. And with DH looking flabbergasted I felt some sort of second hand embarrassment watching and closed my eyes. There are times when watching sentimental scenes on Kdramas makes me cringe.

What I liked about ep 9 and 10 is surprisingly Kim Hae Kyeong's maturity. I supposed I didn't really spend too much wondering how the romance was going to be like. However I was rather amazed to see a calm and mature male going full steam ahead. I am so used to the Kdrama acting all coy and flirtatious that to see a male lead really interested in the ramen offer and be prepared to act on it as hilariously frank. I have hopes that this rom com will proceed to a bed scene. And there was no beating round the bush about the first hand holding scene. And that the guy was prepared to kiss but it was the flustered female who couldn't work out what was going on. I presumed with long relationships that she can't be a blushing novice right?

watched ep10 with eng sub,

and i think JH has no intention to give up on DH... he is just trying to lower down the defense level of DH, HK and even made use of GW to get the wrong message across. NE is friggin' annoying, but i think she believes in a fair game... JH on the other hand, at the scene where he was drinking with NE, seemed more focused on winning. that being spoken, would imply resorting to unscrupulous methods as well :smashes:

2 hours ago, thistle said:

was when AY told Keanu to follow her and he realized she had forgotten her purse so he had to bring it along.  I laughed so hard at how he carried that purse.  It was just purely cute!

i was literally laughing at the scene and mumbling "what the s..!" too cute! :heart3: like, whoa! a handshake turned into a hug and almost a kiss.. Keanu was so flustered :luvarrow:

the scene with the ex patient who came to HK for help with his medical assessment for international marriage... this had me a little worried, i hope it doesn't become a loose string for JH to tug at and then published it against HK medical malpractice.

also, i hope NE find real comfort having spent time with HK's mom and give up the pointless ex chase in the next episode. she can be a good daughter here caring for HK's mom, but definitely not anywhere near to becoming her daughter in law.

Archived